[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 94 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1625168153473.jpg (278 KB, 1531x1075)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
what does /n/ think of E-bikes?
>>
I like them
They get more people cycling which is good.

I don't like 4 things about them
>people buy ones that are excessively shit for the price they could have gotten a good regular bicycle, so often they're just more disposable chinktrash bound for the landfill within a year.
>because they're so expensive, especially for good ones, it's created a privileged class of white e-bike boomers on the road. It's gentrified utility cycling.
>people with poor bike handling ride too fast. Mostly boomer men, who are pretty fucking discourteous and don't give way to non-powered cycles or pedestrians on infrastructure their motorcycle is barely justifiable on. So it's made bike/shared infrastructure less pleasant for everyone else. E-bikes are kind of sold as assists to get up hills and to allow people to commute without getting sweaty but i swear so many fucking boomer men just ride as fast as humanly possible as some kind of thrill for themselves, they could just be on road bikes. Roadies are different because they work for it and have far better awareness.
>they fucking suck ass to work on because they're so heavy like even just changing a tire sucks i really pity lbsmonkeys
>>
Neat concept but they're stuck in an awkward middle ground of being too slow to keep up with traffic like a moped but way too fast for untrained boomers who haven't been on a bike since 1970 to safely take on dedicated bike paths.
>>
>>1693323
call them by their actual name, motorcycles
>>
I think e-bike speed limits are a stupid idea.
>>
>>1693334
>being too slow to keep up with traffic
they're not too slow, traffic is too fast and or there is a lack of dedicated cycle infrastructure.
>>
>>1693342
>a lack of dedicated cycle infrastructure

E bikers are a plague on dedicated cycle infrastructure. They go 28 mph in the same lanes and paths used by people going half their speed or less
>>
>>1693335
Technically they are only assisting the human power and should be not able to power the bicycle without pedalling.
But yeah if you remove those limitators they are light mopeds.

>>1693338
No because if you remove the limiters than they become motorcycles and should pay taxes, insurance and all that crap.

>>1693323
good for commuting without sweating
Helpfull in places with hills
not good for fitness or at least i dont see the point in having one for fitness, a standard city or hybrid is enough in that case
create lot bad wastes with used batteries
They are largely targeted by tefts.
Heavy and hard to lift/carry around on the shoulder.
>>
>>1693345
You can remove the limiter without getting rid of the "assist" part.
The way it is now if you have enough legs to go over 25 km/h, you suddenly get 20 kg dimped on you.
>>
File: 1627903435041.jpg (391 KB, 900x900)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
>>1693323
They're good for commuters/delivery boys, almost dead boomers who can't pedal and people with disabilities.
For anyone else they are cringe. Either pedal to get in shape or cut the middleman and get yourself a motorcycle/dirtbike
>>
>>1693344
There is a precedent for that though. Roadies will do 40km/h on arterial cycling lanes heading to/from suburbs at rush hour

If you had to do even 20km at the end of the day you wouldn't want to fuck around in comfy dutch mode. Like I do agree with you but it's not the absolute worst thing.
>>
>>1693350
>Roadies will do 40km/h on arterial cycling lanes heading to/from suburbs at rush hour

Yeah which the casuals bitch about endlessly on facebook
>>
>>1693350
Roadies typically know how to handle a bike at speed because they worked up to that point. They can be annoying but aren't even close to as bad as the 60 year olds who buy chinesium special e-bikes and blast around full throttle.
>>
>>1693347
In US I understand right? In europe it is forbidden for example in UK they are cracking down on modded Ebikes.

In my country they are struggling with escooters instead because they are an even greater hazard to pedestrian traffic.
>>
>>1693352
Do they?
I don't have facebook
>>
I think this is related to this thread, regards from /dbt/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM8Xli2KTzI
>>
They're hideously expensive. Regular bikes are already overpriced but e-bikes really take the piss.
>>
>>1693323
I used to be completely dismissive about them until I saw a guy effortlessly go up a 40 degree slope at full speed on one.
>>
I don't have one but the hate they get on the road is dumb. Every cyclist on the road mentally prepares the drivers they encounter to drive more safely. Ebikes bring people intimidated by cycling or hills or whatever to the road. Hence, they're good. Obviously it's less clear on mtb trails, but that's mostly getting figured out.
>>
>>1693323
I think most of them look kind of ugly.

That being said, I pre-ordered an e-bike conversion kit for my road bike so I can retain its aesthetics but still have the benefit of a electric-assist when I'm going over steep grades. Pretty curious to see how it all works out.
>>
>>1693323
Light electric mtb/dirt bikes are pretty gud. But pricey.
Generic cheap ebikes are a dead end. Escooters are much more comfy for normie commuters and rentals. EUC are better for enthusiasts.
>>1693344
>Reee. My horse is not as fast as Model T. Ban them Bg Brother. For the sake of our kids.
>>1693392
Quite the opposite. Cyclist crowd is obsessed with stupid brandnames, model years, weight reduction, negligible perfomance gains, space grade shit etc. Prices are ridiculous for a primitive mechanical parts. While electric stuff offers a pretty gud value. Batteries and motors are expensive, but for a reason.
>>
>>1694216
Like 99% of people who buy ebikes complain about feeling tired after riding 5 or 10k.

These bikes are mostly for lazy and weak faggots who would be better off on scooters.
>>
>>1694245
Sorry didn't mean 2 reply.
>>
I've always wondered, what happens to those e-bikes with the battery integrated in the frame when the battery wears out? Do you literally need a new frame? If so, I can see the industry coming up with a bunch of new standards by then, meaning your current components will be worthless. Am I the only one who sees the problem with this, considering I never see it mentioned as a downside of e-bikes anywhere?
>>
>>1694247
That's why you get a conversion kit instead.
>>
>>1694247
You can take out the battery, dumbass
>>
>>1694247
same as phones, the fact that the battery is not user-removable doesn't mean it can't be removed at all
that being said, also same as phones, most of them probably end up sitting on a huge e-waste pile.
>>
>>1693333
>allow people to commute without getting sweaty
i have never once gotten sweaty while commuting
>>
File: 180-medres-scaled.jpg (868 KB, 2560x1707)
868 KB
868 KB JPG
Perfectly fine if they get more people cycling or people cycling more or in different ways. People who were reliant on driving previously can now partially replace their car, replace one of multiple household cars or even replace their sole household car with one.

If there's one thing I dislike about them it's that the electric implementations are too proprietary and not interchangeable or serviceable enough. I fear that getting your motor or battery fixed or replaced will turn into an ordeal the older your ebike gets.
>>
>>1693323
It makes bicycle commuting easier for normalfags. They do tend to go too fast for normal bike infrastructure and interfere with leisure bikers, but are still better than cars. Useful for steep hills.
In my perfect world, the commute is done with pedal bicycles, trams, and subways, and the small trip (+20 miles) is done with an ebike or dirtbike. The longer distances (50+ miles) would be by train. Would reduce on noise and cage-emptiness by a lot
>>
File: 1628854217976.jpg (436 KB, 990x1396)
436 KB
436 KB JPG
>>
>>1693349
just because you wear lycra doesn't make you a cyclist buddy
>>
>>1693347
>you suddenly get 20 kg dimped on you.
Have you ever ridden an ebike that isn't shit? because that's not what happens at all. it specifically cuts off the assist in a way that feels natural and you don't notice.
if you're actually going 15 mph while still pedalling, you'll be on the flat anyway, where, due to basic physics, it literally doesn't make a difference.
>>1693838
>Obviously it's less clear on mtb trails
no. It's perfectly clear. an EAPC can be used anywhere a pedal cycle can be used, because it's a pedal cycle.
>>
File: EgB-u5vWkAIT4RA.jpg (264 KB, 1076x1200)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
>>1693350
>If you had to do even 20km at the end of the day you wouldn't want to fuck around in comfy dutch mode

That would be me when I was still in south of france. I had a 25km long commute which was really nice but that included a 8k shared paths on the coast. The city put a 10km/h speed limit and policemen to controle. Thankfully city police doesn't work before 8 or after 18 so I never saw them but I know some people that got tickets for that.
>>
>>1694247
>battery integrated in the frame
No such things.
Always hidden sexy bolts.
>>
I'd buy one with a small motor and battery just for hill assist to be honest if they were cheaper.

>>1693792
I got passed going up a really steep hill by a 50 year old women on one of those fancy Canyon Gravel Ebikes with the double bars. Felt kind of cucked
>>
One bad thing about e-bikes is they fill up recreative forest roads and other bike lanes with people who wouldn't be there otherwise because they are too weak or lazy (and other vehicles aren't allowed there).
>>
>>1694906
>feel cucked

Do you feel the same everytime you get passed by a motorbike or moped?

Dont get angry she was using a blody engine to move. Im quite sure that downhill any ebike user would shit their pants since they are heavier and they dont have the experience to handle proper offroad downhill.
>>
>>1694906
>cucked
What do you mean? She was riding your girlfriend? Does this word even mean anything at all anymore?
>>
I like mine. I am getting close to 1000 miles on it so far and it one of the best purchases I have made in the last year. Zero regrets.
>>
>>1694901
>10km/h
This is fucking retarded.
I could understand a 15 or 20km/h limit but 10km/h is way too slow even for a fatass like me.
That mayor probably had never ridden a bicycle in his life.
>Au-delà de cette vitesse, merci d'emprunter la chaussée
Fuck off, nobody want to ride on the same road as cager
>>
>>1693355
>In europe it is forbidden for example in UK they are cracking down on modded Ebikes.
yeah there's lots of precedent in my country of cracking down on bratty teenagers on illegal mopeds, the same is only a matter of time to happen with ebikes if they become popular enough
>>
>>1693349
>>1694786
LOOK MOM I POSTED THE ANIT EBIKE MEMES AGAIN !
>>
File: 1627999103069.jpg (163 KB, 1024x683)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>1693323
I tested one for a couple months and got many near misses by cars that misjudge the acceleration of these things mistaking it for a regular bike. I switched back to a leg powered bike as I wanted to improve my fitness and have no regrets. They are fun to ride, and the assist allows to always ride on the highest gear, as the max. speed is reached in a couple seconds from stand still. What sucks is range anxiety, battery management, weight of the bike, getting overlooked by drivers and the motor noise. Also the cost and declining fitness is a downside of them.
Now I never get almost hit by cars, although my top speed is higher but my acceleration from standstill is a bit lower, which helps to not get overrun by drivers.
>>
>>1694921
feeling cuck = feeling like less of a man
>>
>>1694834
But I don't wear lycra. And unlike ebike fags I can actually pedal uphill
>>
>>1694921
>>1694920
Happens to me all the time
>on 2-way harbourside bike trail
>hear whirring behind me
>boomer passes me on the inside without ringing at top speed
>immediately gets right in front of me and drops down to like just under 3rd gear
>>
Had this thing nearly 2 years, still tons of fun to ride.
>>
>>1693323
Great concept, but healthy people ride them like assholes. So we can't have nice things.
>>
>>1693323
cancer. they're clogging up my local trails.

i hope they start riding in streets and getting mowed down
>>
>>1694786
based
>>
>>1693349
Picrel kinda triggers me. Not everyone wants to be pro cyclists or mountan climbers. Also, both those couples look happy. Maybe you should be happy too instead of hating on everything you don't like. You are the problem here, no one else.
>>
>>1697455
>my local trails
>my
sure buddy
>>
They're the hybrids of motorcycles.
>>
File: ys2tbya1ia821.jpg (85 KB, 960x807)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>1695419
>>
>>1694555
where do you live and how far and how flat is your commute? Where I live, you sweat just from walking a mile or two to the shops, and biking doesn't help matters much. That's in the late spring to early fall of course, after that it gets much more reasonable (unless you sweat due to working out in winter coats).
>>
>>1693355
some people in some parts of the US have talked about it, but almost universally e-scooters are the hated thing, not e-bikes. E-bikes aren't left in the middle of the sidewalk for the disabled to trip over and hurt themselves.

Modded e-bikes are illegal in the US due to road laws. A vehicle which can hit the speeds reached by modded e-bikes are such that they get treated as motorcycles, which require licensing and registration. As it is now, however, modded e-bikes are niche, so I don't think they are yet infamous enough to draw attention of angry whiners and their politicians.
>>
>>1697535
not him but "my" is right. I don't ride, I walk. during covid my walking walking paths started getting clogged up by office workers "working at home". I was in half a mind to report them to their bosses, walking around my pristine paths when thehy should be glued to some ugly excel spereadsheets
>>
>>1697582
not him but being /fit/ vs being out of shape affects your tolerance to physical exertion and warm weather a lot. like imagine chads and stacys who ENJOY being outside, sunbathing etc vs a fat sweaty nerd who suffers in the same environment.
>>
>>1694786
dude, imagine a motorized recliner. Wouldn't fit in a bike lane so you'd have to ride it in the road. You could piss off so many fucking cagers that way lel
>>
>>1697670
What's your point, that anyone who sweats when they're outside is out of shape?
>>
>>1697825
i didn't get problems with sweating until i stopped training and let myself go a bit so i speak from experience. when i was /fit/ i would sprint to catch up to the bus etc. coffee probably makes it worse too, the proper machine brewed coffee is so much stronger than instant coffee if you drink full sized cups of coffee and can cause health issues, it's weird really how socially accepted it is to drink so much coffee.
>>
>>1697881
Your comments are based on one observation, that being yourself, and we have nothing on which to measure it. No concept of age, no concept of location, either latitude nor topology, not even any specifics of how far you go and at what times of day. You also start talking about coffee without really explaining why it's relevant to sweating. Are you here to explain how you think sweating outside can explained away by fitness level, or are you just hear to be a disingenuous anus? At present, it's coming off more like the latter.
>>
I bought a $2300 pedal-assist bike coming from an $80 walmart bike and it feels heavy, complicated, and cumbersome. I like my walmart bike more so I'm retarded I guess.

I thought it would be beneficial since I ride for a living and everyone else has electric bikes. I dropped it once after owning it a few days and something already broke.
>>
>>1697922
we're hitting levels of cope that shouldn't even be possible
other anons have said the same thing
it also makes sense, normal people don't complain nearly as much about sweating or other types of discomfort as /n/ fags do, like this faggot: >>1696826
anons like you are weaker than you'd like to admit
>>
I like the concept, uncommon to find ones that look "normal" though
>noticeably bulkier than the average bike
>>1693349
this pic is a good example of that
>>
>>1693323
they're cool
>>
File: 9849643249.jpg (454 KB, 1800x1800)
454 KB
454 KB JPG
only see retarded zoom zooms with undercut perms wearing them
look at me i'm too weak to push a pedal on a bike
cringe as fuck
>>
>>1693323
i put a 2k hub motor on a fucking giant rainer

i can do power wheelies with it
>>
>>1693323

They are toys for leglets, not that bad for commuting if you live a few miles from work, otherwise prepare to ride on the side of the road still.
>>
>>1693333
Honestly one of the worst things really is that a lot of ebikers go too fast for their own good.
With road bikes by the time you're going 25mph you know good well how to handle the damn thing. Someone hopping on an ebike for the first time can go 25mph on it, but that doesn't mean they can handle it.
>>
>>1698031
We were discussing using meme rubberbands as tyres with high pressures to make them rock solid
That shit road will rattle your bike apart if you go through there with such a bike, the stripes you see there are 5cm deep.
>>
File: PXL_20210831_162602148.jpg (560 KB, 1292x969)
560 KB
560 KB JPG
Don't know why /n/ is so against them.
I switch off assist when i'm on flat but turn it on for hill climb. I'm also going distances that I never did before, so great for sighseeing.
>>
>>1694555
good for you, that means you have an easy pleb tier commute.
>>
E-bikes are great, trying the rental ones convinced me, I’m getting one soon.
>>
File: I'm ok with this.png (16 KB, 379x214)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
Apparently they
>require pedalling
With exception if they don't exceed 6 km/h when operated without pedalling.
>are limited to 25 km/h
With the assistance cutting off above that speed.
>can't exceed power of 250 W
If the vehicle does not comply with these rules, it's classified as an electric moped.
And if it's classified as a moped, it comes with all the requirements and benefits of being a moped.
>registration, tax, insurance, helmet as required by local law
>can ride on roads as any other moped
>can't ride on cycle paths however
>>
File: privilege-1220x763.jpg (61 KB, 1220x763)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>1693333
>quick summary
>technology destroys privilege
>>
I'd rather get a small car. The bliss and poignancy of being dry inside while it's raining outside is comfy.
>>
They are for people who are too fat/weak to ride a bicycle and too pussy to ride a motorcycle. I cringe whenever I see one.

>I cant peddle a bike up hills
That's literally the best part of cycling you faggots
>>
I'm currently working on a plan to convert my old Team Marin into an ebike
>>
File: ebg.jpg (179 KB, 836x634)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
I remember when there was an ebike general on here, those were the days, back before the jannies became trannies
>>
>>1693323
I turned my GT Transeo 2.0 into one with a Bafang BBSHD.

The 46t motor mounted is smaller than it's 52-48t, but I was never a real fan of multi sprocket as I always stayed in the top one. It can fling the chain off with a throttle test, so a bigger sprocket is justified to convert that wasted torque while tightening the chain. I got the 1kw to not burn up overload; a common problem for lower watt motors mostly on kick scooters.

Up to speed 15mph (24kmph) with moderate pedaling with a 46tx11t, an overdrive of 0.2. 60tx11t it would be 0.18. The ratio found, the assumed speed scaled by RPM is ether 20% faster, or 20% less revolutions. The outcome is 20% maximum range from motor output. The a 1kw mid drive not even at quarter throttle would have more range than a 250w hub drive at full throttle. Less battery packing, more usable power.
>>
File: 1572506328234.png (147 KB, 500x350)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
>>1694245
Lazy and weak faggot here,
I'm not better off on a scooter because
>need license (have to pay for tutoring, lessons, nightdriving, ice driving, tests)
>need to stick to legal roads
>need to pay insurance
>need to pay road tax
>need a place to store it
>need to pay for highly taxed gasoline
Scooters just have no reason to exist anymore in my country (Norway).
Sure you can go a little bit faster on a scooter (45km/h), but that's about the only advantage left.
>>
48v, 30 mph, 15 mile range. Paid $500. Only weighs 50lbs.
>>
>>1706118
I guess they don't make child ebikes so that was your only option
>>
i posted in another thread but ebikes are the purest form of transportation for short trips (1 to 3 miles) especially if you live in a hilly city
>don't have to excessively share the road on narrow lanes with other cars, you can go past them
>don't have to worry about stress of traffic and merging as much
>no parking to worry about, just lock up at a post
>you can literally go from point A to B
>get to mash the pedestrian crosswalk buttons

disadvantages are the cost and most are heavy if you don't build yourself or try and get a minimalist ebike.
i cycled my whole life and it mashes together the best of bikes and motorized vehicles.
>>
>>1706159
I got a lightweight rigid bike for commuting in my town and the last two years of riding it and the realisation of just how bumpy cobblestone on a rigid bike really is are honestly making me consider selling it for a full suspension cargo e-bike. Only things holding me back at this point are the prices for the latter and my incredibly narrow and steep basement staircase.
>>
File: buy-bicycle-online.jpg (44 KB, 1000x563)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>1702819
That bike is the exact e-bike I want. Step through Fram with big comfy seat. Only thing I would change is your handle bars for ones like pic rel... Get extra distance when tired and easy hill climbs. Good for just cruising around and enjoying the outside.
>>
File: 1235324646432.jpg (8 KB, 237x213)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1693323
>"breaks"
>>
>>1706118
Damn! Now that’s some dedication! IRL troll bike/shitposting!
>>
>>1693323
On one hand theyre good to get people cycling, on the other hand they wrongfully convince normies that cycling is hard
>>
File: de sage.jpg (970 KB, 1782x2500)
970 KB
970 KB JPG
>>1693323
kind of half assed and only tolerable so long as they remain in a legal Gray area .eg below 3 kw and not registered or licenced
>>1693334
>untrained boomers who haven't been on a bike since 1970
Ive heard that in germany its a massacre, just the right combo of an ageing popluation and enough rich people
>>1693335
iirc they are mopeds
>>1693338
I dont think the batterys can take much more
>>1702819
they are expensive and irreparable
the stores that sell them are not able adequately service them
its also an emerging market with no standards so there is little that can be done to source spare parts
>>
1 less car?
>>
And now for the only real notable post ITT:

>e-bikes
CRINGE
>e-scooters (for efficient commuting, when you don't want to sweat/change clothes)
BASED
>e-mopeds/motorcycles (that can keep up with traffic)
Sure, why not.
>e-monowheels from China that can go 70km/h
BASED AND SUICIDEPILLED
>Cages
CRINGE
>Normal bicycles
BASED

tl;dr If you own an e-bike you're a faggot and everyone on the road knows it.
>>
Nice
>The central component of the Free Drive system is the Schaeffler generator, which sets the constant resistance on the pedal while simultaneously absorbing the rider's pedaling power. The regenerative solution is a serial hybrid drive that converts the mechanical energy generated during pedaling into electric energy, which in turn is converted back into mechanical energy in the wheel hub motor.
>>
>>1706669
With that being said, if you had a DUI and had to commute daily very far, and you had a hacked e-bike with the limiter unlocked that you used to rip the bike paths to work hungover in the mornings... that would also be pretty based.
>>
>>1706669
There is very vague line between ebikes a escooters. Really only reason disincntion exists is the boomer legal definitions.
>>
>>1706672
How does gearing work?
>>
>>1706672
Wait. This thing is a dynamo that powers a motor with no chain in between the wheel and the pedal?

How could someone think of something so absolutely fucking retarded?
>>
>>1706678
I've heard of stupider things. Take dynamo output, double it with the help of the battery and feed it back into the rear motor. A good brushless motor probably doesn't have much more resistance than your average dirty grimey chain.
>>
>>1706678
>This thing is a dynamo
Yes

>How could someone think of something so absolutely fucking retarded?
But it is very smart. See pedals on ebikes mostly for show and legal reasons. Replacing chains and gears drastically makes ebikes more simple, easier to design, less bulk, less maintaince, more precise torque measurement and throttle input. As for electrical motor and battery ebikes already have one.
>>
>>1706723
>pedals on ebikes mostly for show and legal reasons
This is why I dislike ebikes and the people who ride them.
>>
>>1706740
You should dislike boomers instead.
>>
>>1706740
cry me a river
>>
>>1694579
Do you think I will ever marry a woman like that who likes to ride that kind of bikes? Be serious here, am I gonna make it?
>>
>>1706999
Do you ride a Dutch bike?
The answer is the same.
>>
>>1693323
>>1693333
>>1693334
>>1693392
Which ebike should I get as a fat fuck. I know it will help me lose weight I don't care about seething normal bikers
>>
>>1702819
which bike is that?
>>
Been looking into ebikes, not sure how they RAISED in price after 3 years, but they're still too expensive for me
I've heard of people buying them straight from the manufacturer at half price through alibaba but I'm not sure which ones are reputable, they all look like scams
>>
>>1707834
they're getting better instead of getting cheaper

I would look at doing a DIY conversion of a quality used bike as the real budget option.
With Bafang bbs01b, bbs02b, bbshd and the new m625/m325 as your 'reputable' options with a large amount of user case examples and info.
Tongsheng as a good newer competitor if you're more interested in a smooth real torque sensing pedal assist than a system you can ghost pedal and throttle more easily in lazy mode.

It's still going to be like $1000+, but it's less than a good new e-bike costs, which is more like $3000.
>>
>>1707834
>I'm not sure which ones are reputable, they all look like scams
at the -very- minimium, a not abysmal e-bike system costs $500. Really it's $1000. Because batteries are so expensive. Batteries won't get cheaper either because there's high competition for scarce materials and that will only increase in our era.
And a not abysmal new bike costs $500, really, more like $1000.
So if you're looking at e-bikes that cost less than $1500, it's not that they're scams, it's that you're simply not paying enough money to get something not abysmal. That's not a scam. The price is a fair and obvious descriptor of a very shit thing. You're not being tricked because you expect something good for not enough money to get something good.
>>
>>1693323
>what does /n/ think of E-bikes?
Pure cancer
>>
>>1707840
I'm not talking about the price, ads on alibaba just read like "e dirt bikeenduro e bikeelectric off road bikeelectric bike e-bikesvintage electric bicycleendu"
>>
>>1693323
I just realized electric bikes are peak retardation and now I hate them, just buy a fucking motorcycle
>>
>>1708129
listings that trawl with keywords aren't necessarily fake but did you filter by the price
im talking about the price
>>
>>1693362
Obvious, in retrospect.
>>
File: e-bike commuter.jpg (123 KB, 1214x647)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>1693362
>basically the same ride, on the same roads
He's right that a motorcycle is safer and more efficient than an e-bike for a commute on busy, multi-lane roads on car-centric infra (his commute).
It misses the point that e-bikes can use bicycle infra, which makes them safer than motorcycles because they're isolated from cars, and makes them considerably faster in well designed cities.

Pic related is just not suitable for an e-bike. The motor doesn't exist to help you pace traffic, it exists to help you get up hills.
>>
>>1708169
also, if any area is well pedestrianized, you'll often be stopped for crosswalks.
which you can safely cycle through on an e-bike, because it's much lighter, and the low speed maneuverability is much better (and you'll get away with it re- the law).

Which makes a commute WAY faster
>>
Have fun getting expensive ass repairs every month
>>
>>1707840
Batteries can be had for dirt cheap depending on where you get them from, I bought lithium ion salvage medical packs for something like 8 dollars per pack(12 samsung 18650 cells) they were a couple years old but still servicable.
>>
>>1693323
Useful only in cities, mainly because because in cities they are given rights that should also be given to motorcycles, but also because at city speeds and distances motorcycles can't show their full prowess anyway.
>>
>>1709361
>rights that should be given to motorcycles
like?
>>
I want to do a conversion like this but not as steamy. I've got a Fuji classic in od green and it would be neat to make it milsurp looking with canvas and steel. Might get a rear rack and mount an ammo can on it to store the battery.
>>
>>1709368
aggressively weaving through traffic and driving on sidewalks
>>
>>1710111
based
>>
File: muhbike.png (2.56 MB, 1168x1003)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB PNG
I've been having this bad boy for a year now and it's mostly been charged with the tears of /n/'s seething.
3000 miles this year. Fantastic.
>>
>>1710177
How much does such wheel weight? Is it tube or tubeless?
>>
>>1710215
The whole thing probably weighs like 80 pounds. I really don't care, still carries me 30mph.
Tube with slime, only one flat in the past year and that was because I lowered my psi way too low in the back for the weight of the bike and got a snakebite.
>>
Good for getting normies to understand the importance of cycling infra.

Where amerimutts have BMI of 30+ they get jealous of thin, good looking cycle-chads. Hard to relate. But when it's someone in their office, or their boss, or people who aren't the most fit and wear normal clothing and all that, and are riding something that looks comfortable rather than an exercise in masochism, they can relate easier.

Stops making it acceptable to go about running people off the road for riding. Helps also with political pressure to push for protected bike lanes and the like.

On the other hand, that also hurts because then the pressure gets doubled to ride ONLY there, even when the infra is really inconvenient ("wait 5 interchanges on the light before you make your turn.")
>>
>>1708194
how much is an ass repair
>>
>>1710295
this is actually a thing in porn. the women you see being abused with giant objects and multiple hands or excessive power/tempo often get sphincter injuries that are sewn up
>>
>>1710177
lmao
that's pretty cool
does it snow where you're at?
>>
>>1710177
this thing is hilarious.
The a/n/on fears the monster ebike.
>>
>>1697823
rascal scooters exist yes
>>
>>1710613
hardly recliner-tier. Things look one step down from a riding mower in terms of comfort.
>>
>>1710284
>cycling infra
To the trash it goes. There is nothing better then wide freshly paved roads free from any sort of artificial obstacles with wide sidewalks. Cars could go fast, slow pedal purists could ride on the sidewalks, ebikes and eucs bros could ride wherever they want.
>>
>>1710336
it snowed once and then I learned that the fat tires for snow meme was a lie
hurt my fuckin shoulder slipping and falling
Also the only time I got a flat because I put my PSI too low for my fat ass
>>
>>1712141
Fat tires only keep you above powder, anon. Studs keep you from slipping on ice.
>>
>>1712144
Good to know, but i sure fuckin hope it doesn't snow and ice like that again. Usually snow doesn't last past lunch the one time a year it snows, if it snows at all.
Fuck ALL of that white shit

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.