[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 42 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Do any American cities have bike parking?
>>
>>1684687
Looks like Netherlands, I can tell you right now 80% of those bikes have flat tires and are never used. Wherever you put those down it basically becomes a junkyard where unwanted bikes get dumped, which is perfectly logically because nobody parks a valueable working bicycle outside on the public road as it gets stolen overnight.
>>
>>1684698
I remember a guy from Netherlands saying that people don't lock shitbikes, if someone steals yours you just steal another one that isn't locked and all is fine with the world.
>>
>>1684698
still far better than a couple of cages
>>
>>1684704
Nah, every house/apartment in the Netherlands basically comes with a garage or common bicycle storage. These parking spots are great near malls, offices and schools where people drive to, park them, and then go back in the evening. But putting these parking spaces in the sub-urbs was a huge mistake, since nobody would park a bicycle there that is worth over $20. It either gets stolen or vandalized, sometimes some drunk guy will just start slicing the tires for shits and giggles. I know, they build one in my street 2 years ago and sacrificed 2 garbage disposal bins for that. Now it's just a bike graveyard where everything rusts away. No needs are being serverd other than free garbage disposal.
>>
> can tell you right now 80% of those bikes have flat tires and are never used.

Stopped reading right there. Cagetroll delusion is pretty hilarious.
>>
>>1684698
That's a lot of cope for a single post.

>>1684687
>biking
>American cities
Pick one.
>>
>>1684708
We call them 'weesfietsen' or orphan bikes. It's free storage for defect goods. You have to pay to park a car, however putting your bicycle there is free. In amsterdam they collect the trash for free but in other cities you have to bring it a junkyard and pay for the disposal, this is the best way to get rid of your trash without paying.
>>
>>1684698
this
bikes won't be a serious alternative to cars until the issue of parking and theft is solved
>>
>>1684722
the issue of theft will never be solved as long as the police profits from selling bikes they "couldn't find the owners of".
>>
>>1684713
And it’s a much wiser use of space than a parked car.
>>
>>1684732
Based on what? The car gets used, the car pays tax, the car also has to pay in order to stand there. The car owners are paying for all the roads the cyclists use for free. You need to create what there is demand for, which is usually a mix of both. And if the space is used by bikes that are permanently parked who don't pay anything for the space they are occupying, it's still a waste.
>>
>>1684698
>>1684706
>>1684713
Just another reason why Amsterdam will never be as good for cycling as Copenhagen. In Copenhagen, the council will regularly (once a year or so) come by and put a tag on the handlebars of each bike on the street, telling you to remove it if it's your bike. If it's not removed within about 6 weeks, the bike gets taken for sale if usable, or scrap if it's not, because it's abandoned.
>>
>>1684743
Haha amsterdam has that too, more than once a year. You get a sticker on your steering wheel and you'll be asked to remove the tag or the bike to show it's still in use within 2 weeks. We have the same program, sell if possible, scrap if not. But for some reason it can't keep up. There really is such a huge difference between the commercial and residential areas. The commercial areas (near schools, work, hospitals, etc) are properly used. Just the residential area sucks, maybe not enough people walking by to scare of thieves? Anyway all flat tired bikes with the chains ripped off, it's insane and I have no idea why it is that way.
>>
File: locker.jpg (125 KB, 1065x602)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>1684743
We have these lockers at the train station for nice bikes, you can rent them for an hour or for a month which you can keep extending.

Think that's the best way if you want people to park in residential areas if they don't have their own garage or apartment box. Problem is the homeless use it to sleep inside :/ and people would definitely just abuse it as cheap storage space rather than as bike locker to relief car stress.
>>
>>1684746
> Haha amsterdam has that too, more than once a year
Then why doesn't it work and why is Amsterdam such a shithole?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcZSU40RBrg
Japan always has the solutions.
>>
>>1684746
>We have the same program, sell if possible, scrap if not. But for some reason it can't keep up.

If it's any help to you dutchbro every time I go to Amsterdam I take an abandoned bike, ride it around then throw it in the canal before getting on the train to Schlipol. Your country rules. 10/10
>>
OP's image is best cagers can come up with in terms of propaganda
>>
>>1684743
Literally every gemeente in the Netherlands does this. Cope harder my wanna-be-German weird neighbour.
>>
>>1684687
>Do any American cities have bike parking?
AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAHAHHHHHAAHAHAHAAHAH
>>
>>1684703
communism at work
>>
Large-scale public bike parking like what they have outside of train stations in Europe? Not really, in some parts of Manhattan you'll find a few clusters of ф-shaped bicycle racks on the sidewalk, and outside of some businesses there are bike racks that can accomodate about a dozen or so bikes (like pic related), otherwise most people just chain their bikes to signposts if they need to.

My new job has a bike rack in the indoor parking garage though, it's really nice, I like biking to work.
>>
>>1684687

Absolutely, it is mandated by the Kansas City, Missouri Parking Ordinance.

here's the whole thing if anyone is interested in reading something and not just making an anti-american circlejerk.

For most businesses, 1 6 foot long bike rack is required plus an additional rack per 5000 square feet.
>>
>>1684945
https://bikewalkkc.org/advocacy/planning/kcmo-bike-parking/kcmo-bike-parking-ordinance/
>>
>>1684687
soul vs soulless
>>
>>1684909
See >>1684754
>>
>>1684698
In late 2019 I happened to notice a particular shitty road bike with green brake levers parked on a rack in one of those worthless "walkable" downtown areas /n/iggers jerk off over. Every few days I'd drive past and it'd be in the exact same place with the front end angled the exact same way, so I knew no one had ever touched it let alone used it. Even during the height of the Peaceful Protests™ no one cared enough to steal it. IIRC it finally vanished late last year.
>>
>>1684698
This
>>1684703
Yes, but its nigger behaviour
>>1684743
Roads are sheite in cuckhagen though.
And I used to sell abandoned bikes(legally)
>>1684945
based redneck state
>>1684949
what a rarted take
>>
File: underground.jpg (295 KB, 1280x720)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
>>1684722
orly?
>>
>>1685065
Look at all those heavy bits of twisted steel
>>
Dutch guy here, who lived in Amsterdam and now lives in Utrecht.

>>1684698
No, these aren't all bikes with flat tires. I think max 20% is junkyard level. Nowadays, the municipality removes junkyard bikes once in a while, which has solved this problem.

>>1684703
This has never been true. Even the worst bike would have been locked.

>>1684722
The issue of theft has been largely solved in the Netherlands. Starting in the eighties, there was a huge problem with heroine addiction. Junks needed loads of money to fuel their addiction, so they stole bicycles. Starting in the nineties, municipalities started offering free methadone to junks, so they wouldn't have to continue stealing. Slowly this has had a large positive effect on safety.
Although there's still some homeless people, the government does care a little for them, so they' re often not desperate enough to steal your bike.
Still, it's a bad idea to park a brand-new $2000 bike outside in a city. But when you're a bit careful, there's not much issues anymore.

>>1684899
over-engineerd shit. That costs the price of many many bicycles.

>>1684903
bloody fucking tourists. I hope you'll all die out one day. You've made the city of Amsterdam into an open-air museum that lost all atmosphere.
>>
>>1685065
>letting some wagie stoner handle my baikfu
no
>>
>>1684899
looks expensive but might work in densely populated areas
>>
File: Capture.png (54 KB, 690x447)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>>1685202
this cancerous cheapskate mindset by /n/ niggers
normal people can afford random bullshit like a netflix subscription or starbucks coffee or whatever
maybe if you invested in a nicer bicycle you would enjoy it more and not have such a nonchalant attitude about it
>>
>>1685071
>lost all atmosphere
never had any. It's been a shithole as long as it has existed.
>>
>>1685203
you literally don't even have a bicycle
>>
>>1685203
I'm all in for spending as much as you can afford on a bike but using subscription shit for brainless zombies as an example is not the best.
>>
>>1685214
yeah netflix is cancer but my point is 9 or 12 euros a month is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things especially if it allows you to use a 1000+ euro bike with no real worries about theft, damage, weather exposure etc
>>
File: big.jpg (43 KB, 821x758)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1685071
>tarting in the nineties, municipalities started offering free methadone to junks, so they wouldn't have to continue stealing. Slowly this has had a large positive effect on safety.
No! You can't just focus on rehabilitation like that! You need to focus on punishment like a good Protestant
>>
>>1685504
Off-topic but to be fair, the only reason why drugs are expensive is because they're illegal. Think a whole strip costs a few dollars to produce. We still have a lot of crime and vandalism though, even if they can't sell it, they will just break a spoke or two just because they can. They upped their game by making the maximum sentence for stealing a bike 4 years just so they can register them into the DNA databank for criminals.
>>
>>1684687
t. NYC, kind of. We have racks around the city and they installed a few bike corrals (like under a dozen I think, lol), but rack installation has been really stalled under the current administration and there is a huge demand for better parking based on NYCDOT public outreach and surveys. Safe place to park ranked pretty high in reasons why people may hesitate to bike.
>>
>>1684687
So which one of these 24 cunts is gonna help me carry a new fridge home?
>>
>>1685688
A professional with a van that carries a dozen fridges a day, using that van at 100% capacity. You don't carry fridges every day, do you?
>>
>>1685688
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA40QqNn-1U
>>
>>1685210
And which suburban sprawl hellhole might you be from?
>>
>>1684687
I live in a mid-sized Midwestern college town. There are bike racks everywhere, even on buses. We also have bike lanes, trails, and bike/pedestrian bridges over busy roads.
>>
>>1685888
>lock my bike up
>bus drives away
Do americans really?
>>
>>1685688
you gonna put a fridge in a car retard?
>>
>>1686103
where i live you can borrow a trailer for free
some stations wagons etc with folding seats might fit a fridge inside

now with covid there are supply shortages and long delivery times but in normal times you can probably find a good deal online with home delivery though
>>
>>1684687
Yeah but they are dangerous becuse blacks will steal it
>>
>>1685688
The free delivery service or the van rental for 10 bucks an hour for the one time a decade you buy a new fridge, you fucking twat.
>>
>>1686063
The actual real retarded part is, the bike racks only fit a bike, maybe two, and you have no way of knowing if they're full until the bus pulls up.
I don't see em used a lot, but still.
>>
>>1685688
Not getting the professional delivery service is peak miser even if you own a car. Imagine fucking up your back to save like $50
>>
>>1686217
>buying fridges
Fridges are inherited
>>
>>1684703
it's a great system, my country should adopt it des
>>
>>1684687
Norfolk, VA.
>>
bikes are awesome
bicyclists are assholes
>>
File: file.png (586 KB, 1024x776)
586 KB
586 KB PNG
>>1684687
only the diverse ones
>>
>>1688354
>t. seething fatass cagie
>>
>>1685698
fucking based
>>
>>1684687
> shartistan
> cities
kek cringe lmao
>>
>>1684687
>you could park at least 150 skates in the same space
Why don't European cities have rollerblade parking?
>>
>>1684703
The total happiness increased.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.