[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 14 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

How are highways primarily funded?
>>
>>1683690
In the USA, a gas tax supplemented by a state specific electric car registration fee. You pay about 50 cents per gallon in fed and state gas tax.
>>
File: 1611409714669.webm (392 KB, 854x480)
392 KB
392 KB WEBM
>>1683690
With the blood of cyclists.
>>
File: 911cutbeam.jpg (72 KB, 744x576)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1683690
jews
>>
Most of their funding comes from income and property tax. Gas tax hasn't ever covered the cost of roads.
>>
>>1683705
her dashcam is facing the wrong way
what a dumbass
>>
File: theusualsuspect.jpg (32 KB, 720x628)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1683690
Loans & public debt

>but... but... this is economically sustainable
shut up antisemite
>>
>>1683832
Women always have to be the center of attention.
>>
>>1683831
>Gas tax hasn't ever covered the cost of roads.
This. It's the same in my country. Car drivers complain that bicyclists "don't pay road tax" but in reality someone who pays tax and doesn't drive is subsidising people who do drive.
>>
>>1683863
Deflection. You use roads and don't pay for it.
>>
>>1683863
That, and bikes don't wear down the road even 1% as much as trucks and SUVs. So the city is saving money when they convert a car line to a bike lane.

>>1683891
You seem to struggle with reading comprehension. If you pay taxes, you're paying for roads and highways. If you pay taxes and don't use a vehicle, you're just subsidizing highways for the car drivers.
>>
>>1683941
You're still deflecting. You don't pay registration/tag fees that go to roads. You don't pay gas tax. You want to use the road, but don't want to pay for it.
>>
>>1683942
That's not deflecting. You seem to have a learning disability.
None of the taxes you listed are enough to cover the enormous cost of highways, roads, policing and signage, etc. in USA.
>>
>>1683970
>None of the taxes you listed are enough to cover the enormous cost of highways, roads, policing and signage, etc.
You're still deflecting by changing the subject.
>>
>>1683891
>You use roads and don't pay for it.
The other anon explains this. Assuming we are legal citizens and work in the city where we live, we pay taxes which DO in fact pay for the roads, so yes we do pay for the roads we use as cyclists. Taxes aren't often earmarked for specific things. The city and state taxes I pay go into large pots of money and these pots fund the city and state budgets which include roads and highways. All our taxes (here in NYC anyways) go into the same pots. Hell half the time cities steal money from their own gas tax income to fund shortfalls elsewhere lol, it's why maintenance is deferred so often and our roads are crumbling. So in reality, even people paying the gas tax may not fully be paying for the roads they use, half their tax could be going to shortfalls in the education or health department budgets.
>>
>>1684109
>we pay taxes which DO in fact pay for the roads
You don't pay license & registration fees, and you don't pay gas taxes, I covered this here: >>1683942
>>
The new infrastructure bills are going to fund new highway construction less because there’s currently no reliable way to fund them
>>
>>1683891
>>1683941
Just because you keep repeating the same fallacy won’t make it true.
If you pay taxes and don’t drive, you’re subsidizing roads for the Cagers because gas tax isn’t nearly enough to cover the cost of roads.
>>
>>1684252
Completely irrelevant
>>
>>1684274
Then nobody "pays for roads" unless you are using literal toll roads.
>>
>>1684316
Again, irrelevant.
>>
>>1684324
Ok, well why don't you tell me what you think is "relevant"?
>>
>>1684113
Sure, but you said we don't pay for the roads we use, but we pay taxes so I would say we do. If we want to nitpick specific fees:
-Trucks which refuel at state lines may effectively not pay at all for the damage they cause to roads in their destination state.
-Cross-state commuters fueling in their home state but traveling elsewhere pay no gas tax at their destination nor registration nor license fees
-MANY covid transplants to my state (NY) do not change their registration and license after moving here with their car despite it being required by law. Any non NJ plate you can expect is illegally dodging these rules. They therefore do not pay the fees
-Toll evasion happens a lot by all sorts of drivers. Cashless tolls means you can obscure your plate number and the toll fee won't ever get to you in the mail.
-Trucks often illegally do not delcare their overweight status nor obey regulations on weight restrictions, causing undue damage to roads which cannot handle them, yet pay nothing as recompense
It's good you brought this up, this was more fee doding then I thought I could list desu.
>>
>>1684503
No

>>1684529
>-Trucks which refuel at state lines may effectively not pay at all for the damage they cause to roads in their destination state.
Trucks pay state and federal diesel fuel taxes. The federal taxes go toward maintaining federal roads (US Highways and Interstates). They also pay taxes on tires, which other vehicles do not pay.

>Cross-state commuters fueling in their home state but traveling elsewhere pay no gas tax at their destination nor registration nor license fees
Depends on the location, but yes it happens all the time. You're not the first person to consider this.

>-MANY covid transplants to my state (NY) do not change their registration and license after moving here with their car despite it being required by law.
That's a legal issue unrelated to this

>-Toll evasion happens a lot by all sorts of drivers.
Separate legal issue

>-Trucks often illegally do not delcare their overweight status nor obey regulations on weight restrictions
Separate issue, that is why states have weight stations and commercial vehicle enforcement though.
>>
>>1684538
So you only count taxes on fuel as valid? What about an electric car, or a gas car that is very economical thus pays less tax?
>>
>>1684316
The cagetroll is going to keep deflecting and spamming bullshit as long as you reply to him.

Obviously if you pay taxes and don't drive you're subsidizing roads for car drivers, since most road funding doesn't come from fuel tax.
>>
>>1684540
Separate issue, but I am certain that the state will find a way to get money from electric vehicle owners.
>>
File: muh cagers.webm (713 KB, 752x560)
713 KB
713 KB WEBM
>CAGERS! CAGERS! CAGERS! CAGERS!
Reminder that the word "cagers" is a motorcycle thing and motorcyclists hate you every bit as much as car drivers do.
>>
File: 81lmQOu3sEL.jpg (420 KB, 1524x2339)
420 KB
420 KB JPG
>>1684561
every motorcyclefag i know hates cagers tho and is cool with bikefags

2 wheels good
4 wheels bad
>>
>>1684573
Opposite has been my experience. No one likes bicyclists
>>
>>1684573
Same. Too many motorcyclists get killed by cagers.
>>
>>1684538
>Trucks pay state and federal diesel fuel taxes. The federal taxes go toward maintaining federal roads (US Highways and Interstates). They also pay taxes on tires, which other vehicles do not pay.
As I said, not in the destination state. By your own posts they are as much a so-called leech on the roads they use in the destination state as anyone else not paying gas taxes.
> That's a legal issue unrelated to this
Idk, you brought up license and registration fees which are minimal anyways but I'm pointing out how people dodge them, sounds relevant to me.
>Separate legal issue
Again, sounds relevant to me. Tolls pay the roads, people dodging the tolls means less money for the roads.
>Separate issue
Separate but still related man. You brought up paying the roads, you can't ignore the factor of truck damage which is costly to repair.
>>
>>1685009
>As I said, not in the destination state.
Varies by circumstance and location

>Idk, you brought up license and registration fees which are minimal anyways but I'm pointing out how people dodge them
And again, that's an unrelated legal issue

>Tolls pay the roads, people dodging the tolls means less money for the roads.
Toll evasion is a separate legal issue

>You brought up paying the roads, you can't ignore the factor of truck damage which is costly to repair.
Correct, which is why they pay diesel excise taxes and taxes on tires, which private cars do not pay
>>
>>1684561
motorcyclists have always been cool with bikers what are you talking about
t.motorcyclefag
>>
I remember when I lived in Alabama, at one point the state used funds from the Education budget to repair the highways.
>>
>>1685218
>>1684573
yeah this is true, most moto guys even me like bikers and many of us tend to be bikers too,
i own 2 road bikes in addition to my two motorcycles
>>
>>1683690
Is Venice as bad as they say?
>>
>>1686028
I doubt that. It's probably a setup similar to Michigan, where gas taxes pay for highways and also education.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.