[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 41 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1621722189956.png (196 KB, 311x279)
196 KB
196 KB PNG
How do people react when you ride BIKE ON ROADS? It is not very common so even if I ride fast people get angry. Also should I take lanes or not? I generally take the lane because it is often unsafe to ride on the side.
>>
This is why I got a gravel bike and ride on dirt and gravel roads and forest trails
>>
No one has ever bothered me but I still don't like sharing the road with cars, I feel like someone can slap me with their view mirror or something at any moment
>>
People don't seem to have any problem with me riding on the road.

I selectively take the lane where appropriate. There are a few spots where the parking lane disappears briefly at a railway crossing, I always get in the middle of the right lane just before I get to it. If you hug the curb people will try squeezing by no matter how little space there is.

As a courtesy I usually stop in the through lane at red lights to keep the curb lane free for people turning.

I generally avoid roads where there is just a single driving lane and no shoulder.
>>
>>1683458
People waive. I ride a 5 mile circle x6 around a man made lake surrounded by million dollar houses (I live in the neighborhood nearby). On the weekend I do more interesting routes.

I ride at the same time and when I ride during the week I encounter the same group of mommy milfs, grandmas doing flowers, and old men watering the concrete. The mexicans give me a wide berth with their mower trailers and I waive. The workers are always polite and especially when they have the trailer appear to be deathly afraid of hitting a cyclist and getting fired or jailed.

The people who engage me are either cyclists, high schoolers who do stupid shit, catcalling/agressive MILFS, or angry people on the weekend.

I ride everywhere in my town recreationally, wear lycra and hi vis shit, have a rear flasher and follow the traffic laws.

In 7500 miles over three years ive only had to squirt one dog and one person with my water bottle.
>>
You ride in the street, this shout sidewalk. You ride on the sidewalk, they should get off. You ride in the bike lane, they park there, you go around, now you're not using a 'perfectly good' bike lane for 'no reason' and deservet to die for that
I don't give a fuck what anyone who's ass aint on my seat says about my riding.
Whatever I do, I'll end up dead and some mouth breathing cager will justify it while the sun bakes my white bike away
Everyone has an opinion but I don't see their CDL

>>1683462
Some of us have things to do and places to be
>>
>>1683608
This is attitude I take as well. When I started out riding I stuck to the sidewalk, and I actually had people in cars yelling at me to get off the sidewalk. Once I eventually got comfortable on roads, I now had people yelling/honking at me to get off the roads. Bike lanes don't really exist in my area so that's not an option. We have a few paths, but now we have a new trend of assholes putting giant boulders and logs in the middle of paths to trip up cyclists.

So fuck them all. I'll ride where I want to ride, and I will aggressively fuck anyone in the ass who tries to tell me where I should be riding.
>>
People are usually friendly enough, I live in a small town in a state where bike touring is pretty common so most of us locals know the drill, some folks will even put people up for the night and let them camp out back while they’re making their way to Seattle or further inland.

That being said it’s the trucks. The goddam shiteating truckers. Every time I see a trucker pulled over, get a flat tire, or outright have an accident (which those inbred morons usually cause) I smile and feel a little better. Those pieces of shit shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the rest of civilization, especially not roads where bikes frequently travel
>>
>>1683629
Nah, bro. See truckers actually face consequences for their actions, unlike four wheelers
Literally any slip up entails a chance of the DOT literally sticking their fingers up your asshole.
I won't hear it and I'm >>1683608
>>
Here in Germany drivers get pissy if you don't use the bike lane, but they're all so obsessed with the rules that they'd never chimp out and actively drive dangerously around you, so it's easy to ignore. They get to go home to krautchan and seethe on whatever their /o/ is and I get to cycle where I want.
Back in the UK there are no bike lanes. Cage dwellers and cyclists have to co-exist somehow. There's obviously a lot of friction and it can get pretty aggro, but at least cyclists on the roads are not an uncommon thing. Drivers, for the most part, have some basic understanding of how to interact with cyclists. Most of the time they'll call you a dickhead whilst they wait to overtake.
>>
>>1683629
I've mostly had good interactions with trucks. The key thing to keep in mind is that they have a bad blindspot when turning, so stay out of it. If they are at a light and there's a bike lane next to them, don't pull up alongside, stay behind them until they clear the intersection. They will go out of their way to look for you but you still need to be mindful of what they can and can't see. If you can see their mirrors you should be fine
>>
>>1683679
Dealing with trucks needs to be a part of regular drivers' licensing, I fucking swear.
Was making a turn once, and these two, admittedly young drivers pulled into my way and obviously didn't know how to remedy the situation because they just kept creeping closer and closer to my cab.
The road is a team sport and we've got way too many people who are only aware of their particular position. You don't need to be the quarterback, but you need to know what he does, ya know?
>>
>>1683629
based
>>
>>1683458
>posts an image of a troll
>posts a thread that sounds like a troll thread
>>
File: b5478f7855fa1a74.jpg (477 KB, 1536x2048)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
>>1683458
I don't know how people react, I am not in their cars, but sometimes I ride with them and they complain a lot. Mostly because those riders do stupid shit, let me give you an example.
>crisscrossing street
>driving the wrong direction
>blasting red lights
>not giving a shit about pedestrians
>not breaking when necessary (side rant, why is this fucking word spelled this way? Necessary really? Brace, Blossom, Secretary, Vessel, Space - Either you burgers start writing it like Nessecary or pronounce it like Neces - sary. Like I get this wrong 100% of the time.)

Anyway. When I want to go fast, I am almost always going on the road. The sidewalk is just filled with inattention Andy's. The people just walk around without looking. Especially females. Now with chinavirus around servers are walking out of the restaurants bringing food and drinks to parked cars. I almost ran over 3 of those fuckers in the last month alone.

I feel like I've gotten better at predicting the movement of Humans by just riding a bicycle through town. LMAO.
>>
>>1683458
The rural highway I live on is very popular among bicyclists. Its in all the “best bike rides of washington state” lists. I hate these fuckers so much despite being cyclist myself. The road has NO shoulders and its actually pretty moderately trafficked by trucks. Most importantly, I have to go around several cyclists every time I leave or return to my home. This is often times uphill when I have no visibility of the upcoming traffic, and I have had lots of close calls because of this. I routinely honk at you degenerate bike fuckers aggressively when I pass you. I’m sick of it. Go bike at your own house bitch, I live on a fucking farm to get away from you assholes.
>>
im perfectly content inconveniencing drivers for the at most 15 seconds until the pass

that being said, i try to take sidewalks when possible

>>1683458
how do people react? sensible people don't give a shit but guys with little man syndrome will get pissed of (i know from personal experience)
>>
>>1683688
Shrek is an ogre
>>
>>1683608
>Some of us have things to do and places to be
I use my car for that
>>
I stay to the side because I dont go 100kph and dont feel like getting hit by a car, but I'm not a retarded kid/woman so I dont ride on sidewalks.
>>
>>1683688
he's an ogre you stupid fuck
>>
>>1683458
I take the sidewalk if there are sidewalks. Let the cagers butcher themselves. No one bothers me because no one walks in this suburban hell anyway.
>>
>>1683928
bUt tHaT's iLleGaL!!
>>
>>1683702
That's some intense autism for some mutt.
The English language has multiple roots, and those multiple roots obviously come with multiple grammar rules/patterns.

>The sidewalk is just filled with inattention Andy's
It's also dangerous compared to the road and is largely illegal

>>1683751
Sounds like you're taking a scenic route when you could be on the highway/parkway/turnpike
> I have to go around several cyclists every time I leave or return to my home
Boo fucking hoo

>>1683799
Ok fatty
Enjoy your toy '''adult'''
>>
File: 1626711030952.webm (2.95 MB, 1024x576)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
Just don't overtake them.
>>
>>1684038
what a shitty road
the problem with bikes on the road is, you cant fucking get past them with coming traffic, not enough space
>>
>>1684042
Then wait
>>
>>1683458
>NYC
People generally are used to it, occasional honk if they think you did something unexpected.

>Long Island
Honks everywhere, people yelling for me to get on the sidewalk even though that's illegal in this state.
>>
>>1683458
>even if I ride fast
you're not riding fast lmao
you're riding fast for a bicyclist
>>
>>1684032
>Sounds like you're taking a scenic route when you could be on the highway/parkway/turnpike

The scenic route? To my fucking house? I’m an hour away from any interstate, and the highway is a good 20 minutes away from my road. There is only one single road to my farm and you city faggots find your way here for “recreational cycling”. Look, I lived in the city for a decade with a bike as my sole means of transit. I still mountain bike because we have great tracks here. So I’m not some cager who doesn’t get it. I’m a local resident who is sick of Seattle fags trying to get me to collide into upcoming traffic because they chose a rural county road with no fucking shoulders. During the summer I literally can’t leave my house without encounter multiple groups of fucking cyclists. The road has a speed limit of 50mph, not fucking 20. It should literally be illegal for Seattle residents to leave King county.
>>
>>1683688
AH AM AN OGRE
>>
File: angrymanincar.jpg (10 KB, 259x194)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1683458
It's always funny when a cager will rage at you when they can't overtake, despite us having 20mph speed limits. Then when they finally do overtake, they go straight into a red light/jam and I fly past anyway
>>
>>1684132
So you moved to where the cyclist are and now you're mad at cyclist. You moved to an underserved area and now you're mad that you're underserved. Hmmm
Sounds right
If you know they're there, slow down, and look out.
>>
ive cycled on the road for at least 15 years, very few drivers have shouted at me or complained about it to my face. its often me who is complaining at pedestrians (tourists) walking on a cycle path
>>
Here in KW (Canada) drivers are nice and give lots of space to road bikers. I usually try to stick far to the side and on country roads I move over to the gravel shoulder when I hear cars coming behind me.
>>
>>1683458
You should come to Austria. it'd be a surprise to not meet a Cyclist in his aerodynamic bicycle outfit on his racing bike on his way through the countryside and blocking cars.
While alot of car-drivers hate Bicyclers, Pretty much every cardriver wont do much(because there are just too many bicyclers kek) except beeing forced to wait until they get enough Vision ahead to take over. Even in the Alps you get these crazy Cyclers who go even through the Ups and downs. Usually theres never a happening. I just remember ecently a dude from netherlends lost control of his bike and fell down a slope 8 meters and was heavily injured, but no car involved.
>>
>>1683604
6x5 mile circle. That must be kinda boring lol. I mean in my City(vienna) you have the "Danube Island" which is about 21 km long. Just do a full circle and you got your 42 km. Its nice cuz ur cycling along a river so you can go swim at any time + theres alot of Drinking water fountains all over the island.
>>
>>1684214
The cyclists weren't here when I moved here. It wasn’t until the internet got popular that this shit happened. It used to be peaceful. I don’t know what you mean by “underserved”, that must be some cityfag communist talk. Rural people have completely adequate services. We don’t need more than one road to our homes as long as you HIV positive urbanites try to bike around my farm because you read about it online.
>>
>>1684373
>I don’t know what you mean by “underserved”
IF you moved some retarded place where there really is only one route to get somewhere, sir, I do not feel sorry for you
>>
>>1684377
Why would you need more than one road? Its not a city. There are only farms in either direction. Maybe you love paying extra taxes for shit you don’t need so the government can imminent domain you and your neighbors land, but I don’t. Bikes are meant for urban streets, not rural roads.
>>
>>1684054
nigger let us pass. not my fucking fault you can't do the speed limit uphill
>>
>>1684493
im in the right 3rd of the lane. its your risk of you want to pass on double yellows but give me 3ft or i kick your doors at the next stoplight
>>
>>1683751
This sounds like Ben Howard am I right?
>>
>>1684537
Bitch Ill pass you doing 50 on my motorcycle and fuck all the lights
>>
>>1684032
OK, enjoy being unemployed and a burden on society
Just a reminder, bike delivery is not a real job nor a job for adults
>>
>>1684635
>bike delivery is not a real job
>it pays money
>enough to pay the bills

what constitutes a real job
>>
>>1684793
making you want to kill yourself
>>
>>1684383
You just gave me an example of why you would need more than one road.
Makes me laugh at these hillfuckers who burned to death in GA recently because the roads for the firetrucks were blocked

>>1684493
Personally, I probably would, but no, you wait. You'd wait if it were a shitty car or a cop or a horse drawn buggie or a truck.
You're just mad that you *could* kill the cyclist, but you won't. Otherwise ya just seethe as normal

>>1684578
If you rode a motorcycle in reality, you'd know that it would be a safe pass for you

>>1684635
I've been working since I was 17, bud
Even funnier in this example because the cyclists you're mad about probably have more money than God
>>
>>1684856
How many square feet is your house? Whats the acreage of your property?
>>
>>1684985
Those measurements don't mean shit in terms of house value.
>>
>>1685013
Haha whatever you say houselet. Those are the only things that matter and everyone knows it
>>
>>1685059
A closet in NYC can be worth more than a ranch in Texas, the fuck are you talking about, retard?
>>
>>1685501
Why would anyone want to live in a urban hellhole like jew york city when they can have a ranch in the great state of texas?
>>
>>1684038
those are all sporty/novelty cars and motorcycles, they're there purely to joyride, so fuck em as much as the cyclist
>>
>>1685521
If it wasn't worth that much, it wouldnt be worth that much
>>
>>1685653
High end urban real estate is meant for the Chinese to money launder. People don’t actually live in it
>>
>>1685687
OK and we're not ok the gold standard and gold never really meant anything before computers anyway, what's your point?
Again, a closet in NYC can be worth more than a Texas ranch. Why? Because people demand that, maybe, but who knows.
ONly thing that matters here is that you're demonstrably wrong
>>
>>1685687
this
this is comfy mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhZfRRY_sdI
>>
>>1683928
arent crossings a nightmare?
>>
>>1685521
All the high paying jobs are centered in like 3 cities because of archaic and outdated tradition
>>
>>1684635
i'm a doctor and think you're stupid

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.