[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: vmpsm8yqnqzjw8t7tscs.jpg (50 KB, 720x406)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
The Olympics are coming up soon. The games are notorious for being shit for cities and their residents. Is there any benefit, from a transportation or urban planning perspective, to having the Olympics or any similar sports event to a city? Have there been any benefits or successes that came out of a city hosting a major sports event recently? What sort of future will these mega-events have on the future of cities?
>>
The Atlanta Games are probably the best ones until Beijing.

If you can plan for using Olympic facilities well past the games. Then your ahead of the game. Get corporate sponsors and let them sell and advertise all over the venues. So long as they're paying for it up front.

You can come out with a bunch of needed infrastructure and other improvements for the metro area, with the tax payers paying little for it.

Don't do like Greece or Brazil. Where you spend a lot of money and put the tax payers in debt. Then just let thebl stuff built, rot.
>>
>>1683390
>Have there been any benefits or successes that came out of a city hosting a major sports event recently?
well, the 2012 olympics turned a swathe of London's former-industrial brownfield wasteland into sports complexes that are still in use (one being used as the home ground for one of London's football clubs, others being renovated and put into use as local community sports centres etc.).

from a transport perspective, both railway stations (domestic and 'international') in Stratford were rebuilt to accommodate the Olympics, which later on switched into becoming commuter hubs instead; and the 'Olympic Javelin' high-speed shuttle service ran between St Pancras and Stratford International, thus capturing central-London and Eurostar tourists and whizzing them to the Games park in about ten minutes - these trains are now being used on the London-Kent high-speed commuter corridor.

i couldn't speak for other games though.
>>
from a less specific, zoomed-out perspective, they give a specific date for 'Big Thing is happening in the next seven years / five years / three years / etc so we'd better be ready'. which i suppose helps people work towards a common goal with lots of interacting moving parts, like a transport system.
>>
>>1683390
Calgary '88 showed the world the weath and efficiency of non quebecois Canada. Only ones to make a profit.
>>
Historically cities pay way more money prepping for the Olympics than the Olympics brings in.
>>
>>1683393
The Beijing Olympics were a disaster for city residents and basically all of the facilities are disused, including the main stadium.
>>
>>1683696
This isn't even close to true. There have been several that have been profitable, but yes the overwhelming have been boondoggles.
>>
>>1683696
Atlanta
>>
>>1683390
I've just been laughing at how many scandals there have been so far
First there was the thing with Mori but that was to be expected because it's fucking Mori
Then there was someone in charge of the opening ceremony who had to resign because he made a joke about getting a "chubby" japanese celebrity to dress up in a pig costume and to be called "OlymPig"
And now the composer for the whole thing (whose old band Flipper's Guitar is one I do like I'm afraid to admit) has been forced to resign after it was found that he tortured disabled kids in school, like ACTUALLY TORTURED them seriously the full details are pretty sickening
I'm pretty sure the only way this can go worse for them now is if they end up like the Tokyo 2020 Olympics in Akira
>>
>>1683885
Oh god it got worse
>>
>>1683885
Get ready for the olympic strain of the coronameme
>>
>>1684604
Can we call it the “Gold Medal strain”?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.