[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ZHuQ0A1.jpg (93 KB, 640x480)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
If you want recs on used bikes, post local craigslist & height &budget
Due to bike shortages it's kind of pointless recommending specific new models. If you have options, post em for hot takes.

General advice for new bikes
>avoid 7 speed
>avoid cheap suspension
>avoid alloy/hiten forks.
>>
Any chance I could size down to a 49 from a 52? I'm 5'6 and want to get an aluminum road bike. Im in Eastern PA and stuff will pop up here and there, but its mainly fred sleds, cheap carbon or stuff from 2009.

https://www.theproscloset.com/products/2016-specialized-allez-sprint-s
>>
>>1665290
why are 7 speeds bad?
>>
>>1665297
Because retards parrot whatever is vomited out here.
>>
>>1665299
sounds like 4chan as usual then.
>>
>>1665297
They arent, but new 7 speeds frequently cheap out in hard to detect ways.

>>1665291
Probably not. Calculate stack and reach. A stem swap would be mandatory.
>>
>>1665301
Alright cool thanks.

Also Im 5'10-5'11ish, looking for a solid road bike to ride around, more for cardio than to commute or do longer road rides. Fine with something from the 70's-90's, hoping around $500.

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-road-bike/gta-greater-toronto-area/c648l1700272}

Any help would be killer
>>
What do you guys think of this bike, is it good?

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d/houston-vintage-cannondale/7322671041.html
>>
>>1665290
>>avoid 7 speed

nope, avoid 10 and 11speed with 1x meme chainrings
>>
>>1665312
roadfag detected
>>
>>1665297
Because after about 5k miles youll have to replace the freewheel and half the time you cant get it off without damaging the rear wheel.

So it turns a bike from a lifetime use project to one that tops off at a few years of use.

Tourney and altus also sound dirty when they shift. (Something i think was intentional by shimano). Instead of a smooth click or no sound it sounds like Ka Chunk! People hate this sound to noobs it sounds like bike is breaking. To oldsters they are used to a good shift being a click and the chain sound.
>>
>>1665343
>replace rear freewheel hub with cassette hub
Wow, super hard. Replace the whole wheel if dealing with spoke lacing isn't your thing.
>>
>>1665343
>half the time you cant get it off without damaging the rear wheel.
absolute bullshit
>>
Dura ace components. What's a reasonable price for this bike? And this or a tcr?
>>
File: 2021-06-08 010252.png (623 KB, 814x541)
623 KB
623 KB PNG
>>1665364
sorry forgot pic
>>
>>1665343
You just put the fw remover tool in and stick a wrench on it, stick a pipe over the wrench, then turn the fucker. Not that hard to do
>>
>>1665365
3k. will he take that? zero chance.
>>
>>1665365
I'd pay $750, it's a decent bike
>>
My bike shop told me my bike is not worth fixing so I should sell it. The breaks are fucked, they say the fork is bent, and its generally not in good condition. How much do you think I can sell it for and should I get anything fixed before trying to sell it? It's a fuji del rey.

https://imgur.com/a/Q2EJ31U
>>
>>1665383
strip it and sell the frame for mad hipster bux
trash the rest
>>
>>1665385
Makes sense since the frame is the only thing potentially valuable at this point. How much do you think it will go for? Is selling on craigslist/fb fine or should I look elsewhere to find more hipsters?
>>
>>1665387
really depends on what the market is like around you, you could get $50 or $300 for it
just look around and compare prices
also fork looks fine to me
>>
I'm 6'5 and about 340 lbs, budget is about a couple hundred dollars. I'd also like some tips on how to check out a bike to make sure it's mechanically fine https://scranton.craigslist.org/
>>
>>1665290
how high is my bike seat supposed to be? are the top halves of my fingers supposed to rest on handlebars?
>>
>>1665454
just go to a bike shop and get something used, least it should be guaranteed
>>
>>1665460
Put ball of foot on pedal, foot level, put pedal down to bottom, stretch leg until almost completely straight with slight bend then that's the height your arse should be
>>
File: 1537035286078.png (24 KB, 591x422)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>1665462
thanks friend
>>
File: 1591826630360.png (87 KB, 707x505)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>>1665297
7 speed isn't bad. Bottom-end mech discs and freewheels are bad. Plastic tourney parts are bad.

It's also the pricepoint at which you'd often be better off looking used.

It's a generalisation and there are exceptions to it.
But if someone wants to go into a bikestore and buy the cheapest possible hybrid, why do they need further handholding here?
>>
>>1665383
It's not worth -them- fixing.
It's not worth fixing if time is an hourly rate paid rather than a fun hobby.
It is worth you fixing as a beater. It's also worth you buying a better bike.

It would really depend on how the fork is bent. If it's shunted back, the frameset is worthless $ wise but possibly still an ok bar-bike. If the alignment is out and one arm is slightly off you could just bend it back. It doesn't look too bad either way but it probably won't ride no handed or really track right.

Imo the Pedals are worth $10. The Stem is worth $20 (it's nitto right? that's a nice stem). The crank + derailers are worth $10. The bar end shifters are worth $20. The rest is worthless.

If you don't want to fix it up yourself, I would sell it complete, for $50-$80, as a project, to someone who will. If you strip the nicer parts off it, aside from the pedals, it will basically never be worth anyone's time or money putting parts back on it and you are doing net harm to the world and removing a bicycle from circulation.
>>
>>1665309
Here's what i'm seeing. A clean probably newish cassette, seeing as it's larger than would be typical for the era, which also part solves the overgearing issue. And chainrings with minimal wear. I would guess the drivetrain is in good condition. The paintjob is beautiful. That indexed 7 speed mid-range gear is peak preformance-value. Upgraded wheels again means the second major possible wear/service issue is probably solved. Although, those wheels don't look great on that bike, imo.

I think it's a fantastic buy. It's not that low priced, but it seems like not a project. In which case it's reasonable. The 1 upgrade for me would be a better front brake caliper but that's easy.
>>
>>1665454
Your general used target is old mtb, rigid or hardtail. NOTHING ever sold at walmart. See Sheldon brown on fixing old bikes.

Your craigslist is trash and the prices are mostly crazy. There's nothing good and your size.

Holy shit, this might actually fit you.
https://scranton.craigslist.org/bik/d/scranton-trek-1000-bike/7329570748.html
It's a full on performance road bike, which might not be what you want, but it's the only thing in the entire craigslist that's a likely shot.

https://scranton.craigslist.org/bik/d/chinchilla-peugeot-26-in-avocet-touring/7325349830.html
This is a longshot, as the pics aren't good enough to tell if anything is wrong, and the size is tricky to tell.

That's a desperation tier budget if you're looking for new bikes right now.
>>
>>1665454
https://scranton.craigslist.org/bik/d/kingston-canondale-m300-bike/7325930843.html
this is the only option on your local page. It's alright but i would guess needs some work and the parts on it are quite cheap
https://allentown.craigslist.org/bik/d/easton-trek-antelope-800-mountain/7332913136.html
similiar deal but nearby area. Ok option, newish, but low end parts.

https://reading.craigslist.org/bik/d/schwenksville-panasonic-pro-atb/7333202081.html
this from a nearby area would be my rec. Buy this. This is an XL size and was designed for loaded touring, so should suit your weight well. Really nice 80s all purpose bike.
https://elmira.craigslist.org/bik/d/horseheads-ross-mount-bear/7332648406.html
this is similiar. Would be my second pick.

https://reading.craigslist.org/bik/d/elverson-centurion-dave-scott-master/7325373053.html
https://reading.craigslist.org/bik/d/leesport-giant-kronos-road-bike-large/7324604740.html
If you wanted a road bike. Honestly it's not impossible that these would hold up for you. These are really nice bikes too.
>>
>>1665309
Worth looking at. A quick look at your cl shows you DO have other options, but nothing as good for that price...if everything works.
>>
>>1665504
>the size is tricky to tell.
The size is not tricky to tell. I'll tell you. That's a medium size women's bike. It would be pure torture for a 6'5 150kg behemoth.

>>1665454
For checking a bike, i'd say the main issues are drivetrain wear, wheel condition, and frame damage. The big issue to look for is chainrings with sharp teeth or missing teeth. That implies the entire drivetrain will need to be replaced. A worn chain or cassette is cheaper. Have a look at some good condition chainrings to get a bearing for this. For wheels, spin em, are they smooth? Can you wiggle them side to side (play), feel the spokes, are there loose ones, does the tension all seem even? Are they out of true (spin em and look at the brake pads)? Is there a wobble if you look at the rear hub? For frame damage I would mostly look to see if the fork has been shunted back. If the line of the fork arms is behind the line of the headtube on the frame. Other than that, look for cracks in the frame around the lugs. Scratches and minor rust are non-issues. A good test of frame straightness is if a bike will ride no hands. If someone says 'good condition', that it shifts and brakes well. Although at your weight, test riding a bike might be out of the question. Tires are also a $ item, perished tires will add an expense, but on the other hand, -good- tires are the best upgrade for a bike, so i would rather buy something at a lower price that needs new tires.

As for your weight, the issue you will run into will be wheels. You will destroy rims and bend axles. And if you want a really reliable bike, you'll need some really strong wheels. These are aftermarket addons, and if you actually do need them, is something to wait and see on. The best thing you can do in the short term is a: take the bike you buy to a good shop to have them true and tension the wheels before problems occur. b: fit as wide tires as you possibly can to protect the wheels. c: be lucky.
>>
File: brandt auction.jpg (1.13 MB, 2711x1080)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
>>1665514
couple more condition things
People looking at used bikes should read this post and above.
slop in the derailers. If you grab a derailer and jiggle it, and there's a lot of play in the pivots, they're very worn and won't work that well. They'll work but that devalues even nice parts. They're at the end of their life.

Brake hood wear. If road bike brake hoods are very worn, like the rubber is very smooth, that means the bike has been ridden a lot. Conversely you can tell a practically unridden original condition bike by the condition of the hoods.
>>
>>1665305
There's on odd thing there. The vast majority of nicer road bikes are from the 80s. Did... people in canada not ride road bikes in the 90s? It's confusing.

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the Miele's or taiwan Bianchis there. None of them are even that good, or good deals, but they're not bad. You'd mostly be shopping them on condition, size, and whether you like the paintjob, and there are like a million, so i'm not gonna give recs on those. If you find some you can't decide between maybe ask for advice on it.

I'll give you some left field options though.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/mississauga-peel-region/vintage-specialized-transition-cr-mo-frame-ultegra-58cm/1569982758
this IS a 90s bike, so it's functionally more modern than the mieles i mentioned. It's actually top of the line too. It's just a better bike. Looks very good condition too. You could remove the aerobars, you might actually like the bullhorns on it, but converting to drop bars would be very easy. The brakes/shifters would go straight over. I'd try haggle to $500. I'd also try find out if it's a hyperglide or uniglide hub. If it's the former, converting to wider gearing would be very easy, if it's the latter, it's a meme standard and that's a big downside to it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/mikado-cycloutourer-triple-vintage-touring-bike-restored/1567833468
this also, a sport touring bike, so a more relaxed version of a road bike, is a very good left field option, and worth a ride.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-of-toronto/beautiful-steve-bauer-roadbike/1570617600
I would guess that this is also very good, and the best deal I could find. Don't buy it if you don't like the garish colourscheme though. Personally I think it's very cool.

Go check these 3 out then default to trawling 80s mieles imo.
>>
>>1665533
>Miele's
*Mieles
>>
>>1665533
Fuckin thanks man, Im going to see if I can get 5 hundo for the specialized, but the bauer is fucking cool, Ill reach out to both. Really appreciate your time and help, cheers bud!
>>
>>1665504
Yeah I've heard of rigid or hardtail MTB but having a hard time finding one, maybe I'll check the local salvation army

I'm not knowledgeable with bikes, what's the downside of a performance road bike

And that second one is 26 inch, would that be good for my height
>>
File: $_86[1].jpg (115 KB, 1024x768)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
Is this worth 65 buckerinos for a "bike i dont mind getting stolen but still goes reasonably fast"
>>
>>1665290
General advice for any bike:
- Freehub
- Cassette
- Threadless headset
- Most likely - disc brakes.

with those it is 95% certain that a bike can be made to work fine.
>>
>>1665821
Sure. Fuckers around here would be asking $200 for that.
>>
>>1665309
>is it good?

definitely a good bike
>>
Yo, /n/. I need a little help deciding between two gravel bikes. I'm looking at the giant revolt 2 and the Cannondale topstone 4.
Both are $1250 with tiny differences in between. The biggest difference being the microSHIFT Advent X 10 on the Topstone 4, and a Shimano Sora on the Giant.
Any opinions and advice between these two?
>>
>>1665365
new price in 2014 was around 6000$, so I guess you wont get it below 2000$
>>
>>1665821
nice frame, shitty components
>>
>>1665507
Those last few choices are over an hour away, someone else posted a couple choices in my area also
>>
>>1665945
shitty components at the cannondale, try to get a Topstone 105 , it's worth 200$ more, it has also better components than the Giant
>>
File: IMG_20210504_173628.jpg (3.64 MB, 4608x2112)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB JPG
>>1665955
Thanks dude. But it looks like the Topstone 105 is $1500 more than the Topstone 4 at $2750. Me no have that much money to spare :(
>>
>>1665820
>I'm not knowledgeable with bikes, what's the downside of a performance road bike
Performance road bikes are for going super fast on perfect pavement, sort of like a tour de france racer. You will need the padded tight pants to use them properly, or face massive anal pain. They're also not as durable as mountain bikes. Still OK for your weight, but a little extra safety margin is good.

Remember. NOTHING ever sold at walmart.

Also look at hybrids, because you're fucking desperate.

>>1665820
>And that second one is 26 inch, would that be good for my height
Second one is completely wrong. Brain fart by anon. 26 refers to the wheel size there.
>>
Would appreciate advice, im in Cleveland, ohio area , 5ft 11. Anything that looks like a good deal under $500 preferebly. Want a hybrid bike so i can use it in multiple situations
>>
>>1665960
That has to be the Carbon frame Topstone.
MSRP for the Alu Topstone 105 is around 1500€

https://ruinyourknees.com/review/cannondale-topstone-105-review/
>>
>>1665290
What's wrong with steel forks?
>>
File: screenshot.jpg (227 KB, 1054x693)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>1665290
I can get a second hand Kona Dew for 208 euros.
I don't know which model (years?) but according to the vendor this one has 700C wheels, is made of 7005 aluminium alloy and has 3x8 speed.
Is that a good deal for a newbie?
>>
>>1665984
It was round 400$ new 15 years ago.
Wouldn't pay more than 100$/€
>>
File: 1610079220875.jpg (183 KB, 700x678)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
how's this boys?

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-tall-mans-mountain-bike/7332592261.html
>>
>>1665978
Hiten steel forks are super heavyweight, and only on cheap bikes. If you're desperate and poor, it's a possibility, but everyone else should try for better.
>>
>>1666023
Ludicrous price, MORE than if it were new. If it were a sane price, you might try it.
>>
>>1665953
make a day of it
>>
>>1666039
>>1666007
original MSRP is relatively meaningless. You're also not taking into account inflation, or the fact that bicycle prices have risen generally.
$249 in 1999 is worth $399.14 today. And i'd say that bike is comparable to the base model FX1 which is like $500

IMO a good condition used bike is worth 1/2 of an equivalent new bike. And less if the condition is poor. Which you can't tell on that without checking it out, and i probably wouldn't assume either way. 1/2 isn't a good deal, sure, but it's somewhat fair.
So $250 would be a fair price. $180 would be a good price. $100-$150 would be what i'd want to pay if it needed much work.

>>1665984
Same for this. That IS actually a pretty ok deal, because a new equivalent bike would cost twice that, or more. 2 things imply the condition on it is quite good, the spd pedals meaning not owned by a complete casual, and the relatively unblemished paint. It probably needs a new chain and that's it.

>>1665984
yes that's a perfect entry level bike. Get it
>>1666023
It's pretttyyy low end. See 'chromoly seat tube' meaning the rest is hiten. Gripshift, bad, chinky v-brakes, 'sport' in bicycle speak means 'shit tier'. It's like ok, but you could do better.
>>
>>1665795
good luck to you
post some pics if you get something
>>
>>1665984
It MUST fit. Are you a manlet? I'm not 100 percent on the price, but the covid tax might make that reasonable.
>>
File: 1600284741772.png (48 KB, 678x516)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
>pre-order bike
>estimated shipping date 21st of june
>unexpected shit happens and i have to move house next tuesday
>email and ask to change delivery address
>they just immediately ship my bike with next day delivery
I appreciate them putting a rush on for me to get me my bike before I move, but does this mean they were hoarding bikes and pureposfully creating a pre-order type shortage to drive sales? They explicitly said it was coming to them in a shipment...
>>
>>1666151
Unlikely. More likely that you jumped the line in first come first serve, or there's multiple shipments, or some sort of luck.
>>
>>1666151
>but does this mean they were hoarding bikes and pureposfully creating a pre-order type shortage
Yes. That's unironically what's going on, and not just with bike stuff but computers/electronics/car stuff/clothes and shoes etc.
in the past I've come across ebay listings that say "last one" or "2 available" etc. When you rush to buy the "last one" (because what if there aren't any more after that one - god forbid!) and then you view the listing afterwards you get the "listing has been updated by the seller" thing, and there's magically still the "last one" for sale. It's absolutely genius and people WILL fall for it. This is just that on a much grander scale.
>>
>>1665504
>It's a full on performance road bike
lol no, not really. It's more of a commuter/tourer. Fred wouldn't be seen dead with it.
>>
>>1666186
Only problem with this is that "pre order" is somewhat undesirable to the customer, as there's going to be an unknown amount of time before the shit ships.
>>
>>1666193
It told me the estimate shipping date
It said 'estimated shipping date June 21st, limited stock arriving'
but you are right
>>
LBS just got in some SL6 Tarmac (105 group) in for ~$3k. But Litespeed is having their "Summer Sale" where I can get an Ultimate with 105 rim brakes and AR41 wheelset for ~$4k. Would the extra $1,000 be worth it for titanium and carbon wheels, but rim brakes? Also the 6-8 week lead time with Litespeed, but I think it may be worth it for a frame that will last?
>>
>>1666304
Yeah just buy a "forever bike" based on antiquated technology. Actually see if they can weld on some downtube shifter bosses too.
>>
File: Roglic 2020 Vuelta.jpg (172 KB, 1024x683)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>1666308
a toast to disc brakes!
maybe someone will win a grand tour on them soon
>>
>>
File: Bernal 2021 Giro.jpg (660 KB, 1800x1051)
660 KB
660 KB JPG
discbros...
>>
>>1666308
Do you think geo/general parts availability/compatibility for the Litespeed is going to be severely outdated in the next 10 years or are you just butthurt about rim brakes?
>>
File: alaphilippe-1.jpg (422 KB, 2000x1333)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
>>1666315
you rang?
>>
>>1666331
Lol rimfag BTFO
>>
>>1665504
>https://scranton.craigslist.org/bik/d/scranton-trek-1000-bike/7329570748.html

good find
>>
>>1666304
Rim brakes are preferable imo, but really Ti is a meme
>>
>>1666098
>original MSRP is relatively meaningless.

not really, for a little bit more than 200$ you can sometimes get top notch vintage bikes
with high value components, that was multiple k$ new, and would be sufficient to be ridden by pros, makes no sense to waste that amount of money on some heavy shit bike with Acera components that wasn't more than 400$ new 15 years ago

>You're also not taking into account inflation

No, I don't, I include that in the reduced value for used items.

>$249 in 1999 is worth $399.14 today. And i'd say that bike is comparable to the base model FX1 which is like $500

That's just ridiculous. According to your logic an used bicycle from 1983 that was 3000$ should now cost 10k$ or whatever idiotic sum

>the fact that bicycle prices have risen generally.

No, I don't support jewish meme trickery. Not the value of bicycles have risen but the performance of the cycling industry went to hell. Value of a bicycle is related to the value it has due to factors that are much more important. Material, build quality, components, weight, rarity, role in cycling history etc. not whatever some douchebag thinks his bicycle should make him money because "bicycle prices have risen" or whatever.

In reality it's really simple if you pay 200$ for some 16kg Acera shit bike from 2003 you are simply an idiot.

People like you are actually the reason that douchebags think they can make huge moneygrab out of their their close to worthless shitbikes.

Pic related is how an used bike worth 200$ and more looks like, not the consoomer trash in >>1666023 and >>1665984
>>
>>1666394
>In reality it's really simple if you pay 200$ for some 16kg Acera shit bike from 2003 you are simply an idiot.
Does it really make less sense than paying $550 for some 15kg Altus/Tourney shit bike from 2021?

your entire post is predicated on someone having a very good local used market. If they don't, what then?
>>
>>1666394
>That's just ridiculous. According to your logic an used bicycle from 1983 that was 3000$ should now cost 10k$ or whatever idiotic sum
No, I said MSRP was basically meaningless. It doesn't mean anything about current value. But just because you brought it up. Money was worth more then.
>>
>>1666394
>and would be sufficient to be ridden by pros
lol are you fucking joking? There's a ~3kg weight difference.
>>
>>1666394
so Columbus SL is basically trash where you live ?
>>
File: yoroshiku.jpg (220 KB, 1265x1078)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>1666394
>"a little bit more than 200$"
>that
>>
>>1666382
So fragile carbon is better? Or why is Ti a meme
>>
>>1665514
Thanks Anon, didn't even know this much went into operation of a bike. A lot of good info there, it should be in a sticky or something
>>
Just want an opinion between these two since it seems these are the only ones in my area. Which one would be more suitable for a tall fat guy

https://scranton.craigslist.org/bik/d/scranton-trek-1000-bike/7329570748.html
https://scranton.craigslist.org/bik/d/kingston-canondale-m300-bike/7325930843.html
>>
>>1666417
the cannondale for sure
>>
>>1666199
It's more likely because of the shit in egypt, the coof, china being fuckheads and everyone freaking out. They could also have some shipping limitations where their outflow is limited.

June 21 probably wasn't that solid a date for them in the first place, and they jumped you to the front rather than deal with address change fuckery.

>>1666304
They are significantly different bikes in how they feel. I don't think you can test ride right now. For a competitive racer, I'd go with the tarmac. For a dry weather only rider, I'd go with the Litespeed.

>>1666328
I'm going to bet the biggest limiting factor is going to be pro wheelsets, but I'm not too sure on that one.

>>1666396
The advancement in tech tends to counter inflation. A heuristic is if it's too close or above MSRP, you should sanity check it vs new bikes.

>>1666417
Assuming shitty yank roads, and that the bikes are in GOOD condition, the m300. The pics on that are terrible, so I'm not that confident. And you sound like a casual who isn't read for SERIOUS BICYCLE PANTS like the trek 1000 is.

I would put my fat ass on the trek 1000, as it's the much better deal. The wheelset isn't a racing one, so I'd expect it to hold up, especially if you learn to true wheels, which you should anyways. It's literally turning a wrench.
>>
>>1666442
>They are significantly different bikes in how they feel. I don't think you can test ride right now. For a competitive racer, I'd go with the tarmac. For a dry weather only rider, I'd go with the Litespeed.
Thanks anon. Really thinking about it. I had a Tarmac before but got hit by a car and even though the frame/fork looks okay Im not sure how keen I am on potentially having it fail. So I guess I was biased in looking for something a little more durable.

Been trying to find an Allez Sprint or something similar, but the shortage is too real.
>>
>>1666422
Why are you sure on the Cannondale
>>1666442
The trek is actually closer to check out, I'm more or less looking for a bike to get around in. I'm not looking for any cross country trips
>>
File: MS03039_careco_titan.jpg (86 KB, 800x800)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>1666417
>Which one would be more suitable for a tall fat guy
>>
>>1666442
>A heuristic is if it's too close or above MSRP, you should sanity check it vs new bikes

It's almost impossible to buy new bike because of the bike shortage.
>>
>>1666411
Ti is a meme because it's way overpriced relative to steel, and the risk of failed welds is pretty high. If you want light, carbon is pretty much the best bet, and it isn't that fragile really, unless you buy unbranded crap. If you want it to last forever buy steel and don't throw it in the ocean and it'll be fine, rust is a spook
>>
>>1666411
ti is a meme bc carbon is lighter, stronger and more flexible. aluminum with carbon fork is lighter stronger and more flexible. steel is the same weight, lasts longer than ti, and is more flexible.

Aluminum used to be more brittle before 6061 aluminum and they needed to use more, making it heavier. Steel has always been steel and the modern alloys have been around since the 80s.They have improved the sealants and clearcoats and fibers used in CF so a new CF bike will now last as long as Ti.

Titanium metallurgy hasnt advanced much so instead of nice curved tubes ti bikes have straight tubes connected by braze ons. eventually your frame will fail at these points
>>
>>1666417
the cannondale looks fine and should fit. the trek isnt a 58cm, it looks like a m at best. how tall are you?

I say get this odd vintage duck it will be more fun than the cannondale

https://scranton.craigslist.org/bik/d/wilkes-barre-maruishi-vintage-bicycle/7333649622.html
>>
>>1666446
Tap test the entire frame and fork.

>>1666461
Maybe check the trek first. See if SPEED is for you.

>>1666529
That's variable depending on where you are, just like your used markets. And the mail order people have SOME shit, and there's waiting until shit is available again.

>>1666411
Carbon is generally stronger, except in very specific ways, like abrasion, or force from an unexpected direction. I certainly wouldn't pick carbon over TI for a thrashing commuter, not even MTB carbon.
>>
>>1666529
you can go on canyons site and have one delivered right now
>>
>>1666475
Good one, queer.
>>
File: 1618617520445.png (255 KB, 474x266)
255 KB
255 KB PNG
new bike comes today
>>
Looking for a bike for a girl that's 155cm, should I look to 24 or 26in wheeled bikes?
>>
>>1666564
by girl do you mean an adult woman who's small or a literal child girl
>>
>>1666564
>>
File: trek-boone-7-200374-11.jpg (583 KB, 2390x2400)
583 KB
583 KB JPG
Walked into a local shop near me looking for information as i'm a bike noob. Looking to buy a gravel bike of med quality for anything from exercise, to commutes, to rides to the pub with coworkers. Want to spend less than 2.5k, but want something that will last. They didn't have much in stock that would fit me, but did show me something used they have, though they don't normally sell used They had forgotten to ship it to their 3rd party seller last week.
Its a 2015 Boone 7 with some modifications. he listed that the previous owner replaced the drivetrain with an ultegra set, it has some carbon wheels he assessed as "mid entry level", and my dumbass forgot the shifter model/brand, but i believe it starts with "dy".
Everything looked in solid shape, the cables need some work, and maybe a new seat.

All that in mind they said they'd give the thing a full once over+replace the cables etc so they can stand behind it and offered 2k. Seemed like an honest assessment, but i figured i'd see what someone here has to say. Any thoughts? I found this site that prices it stock at ~1500 used, but i have no idea if thats an accurate spot before you add up the upgrades.
>>
>>1666574
forgot link https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/value-guide/product/3056275/
>>
>>1666564
26. I wouldn't reject a GOOD 24, but there are few good ones.

>>1666574
That is normally a racing cyclocross bike, so it's sort of the current gravel bike meme. The only question is, is it too much bike for you? Especailly if they don't have anything in the cheaper, more durable range, that's not a big loss if it's stolen.

Pricing on those is weird, but I think the price is ok in a normal year, probably good. It was something like 3.4k USD initially, and some of the things added might be actual upgrades, like the wheels and drivetrain. With covid tax, the gravel meme tax and the upgrades, and that it's backed by a bike store, I think it's good enough to test ride, and pull the trigger if you like. Take advantage of the bike store bonus to trade in and the CORRECT stem and saddle for your fit.
>>
>>1666577
Remember that PP sales arent' bike store sales. If the bluebook is accurate, which I'm suspicious of, this is a steal.
>>
>>1666583
i'm not familiar could you expand on the cyclocross memery? I did a test ride and it was pretty great but i'm used to walmart specials and mountain bike rentals, so i've got nothing to compare it to.

The "too much bike" thing does concern me. I get the feeling i could spend less than 2k and still check my boxes, especially if i'm used to riding stuff the people on this board would laugh at.
As far as theft, I can store it rather safe in the monitored garage at my building or i can bring it up with me worst case.
On durability, with this setup, would the occasional pothole etc be of concern? I'm in MN and pavement isn't very well kept everywhere.

>>1666584
They seemed quite genuine about making sure I got a fair price. quite a few of my coworkers are serious about cycling and have said its a great shop. Doesn't really help inform the decision though.
>>
>>1666574
dont get a cyclocross bike, they're uncomfortable for long use and designed for hour long races not commuting or drunkenly returning from the pub
get hydraulic disc brakes if you bother to get a gravel bike too
>>
>>1666589
if this is a fair price for an otherwise good bike that i can get them to stand behind, is there anything easily done that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to improve the comfort? I have little experience in gauging the level of comfort a bike will provide.
>>
>>1666595
wider tyres (if possible) and a nicer saddle will help a lot
if you can get it for a steal then it might be worth it, but i'm a big believer in get the bike that fits your needs best not the bike with the best components (if i could get an enduro bike for a steal i'm still not going to get it cause I only ride corss country for example)
>>
File: FontanaNamur[1].jpg (960 KB, 1236x867)
960 KB
960 KB JPG
>>1666587
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDOgKA32YBQ

Cyclocross is a form of racing which has been around for decades. They go offroad. They lift and carry their bikes and climb stairs. This isn't a usual road bike. It's heavier, and more durable. The normal drivetrains for CX have a very narrow range that top out very early, which might not matter if you have no hills or legs, and it's been replaced anyways.

Gravel is a relatively new hip thing and has tended to cause a jump in prices on everything close enough to it, including CX.

The frame is carbon fiber, which is not as strong when getting scraped on concrete, or knocked around on bike racks, and is a theft magnet, but it's an offroad frame, so it's got more leeway..

I don't know the prices in your area. Here it would be an A- price. The question is, is it the right bike for you? Test ride it. It has a somewhat depressed price because all the cool offroad riders have gone to disc.

>>1666595
Saddle and stem, possibly handlebars, and the thing MUST fit properly. Good stores offer a discount or special deal on saddle trade ins, as you need to get them to fit right. I also would absolutely require a test ride to make sure it felt right.
>>
>>1666596
Nice saddle and CORRECT saddle for the ass.
>>
>>1666596
>>1666598
Thanks for the info, it does seem like something with cyclocross in mind is a little outside my use case and need. You're both right to question whether its "right" for what i've got in mind for it. That being said, would this be decent "general purpose" type setup? For the case in which i can "grow" into it and decide to ride it more often/seriously? If not, would anyone be willing to suggest something that would represent that? some of the features of a cyclocross bike seem nice, but the comfort thing is a concern.

To be honest a key attraction of this for me is that its here and i can get it tomorrow. This is the biggest bike shop business in the area and prior to showing the used bike they mentioned they probably wouldn't have anything that checks my boxes until August, and even then others could buy them up. If I wanted to get something specific i'd probably need to put it on order and not have a bike this year.
>>
>>1666603
Essentially, it's the extreme version of 90's mtb with slicks. It's either comfortable NOW, as in with the day zero changes in stem and saddle, or you don't buy it. But yes.

As anon says,
>>1666596
>get the bike that fits your needs best not the bike with the best components

Assuming you're dealing with a Trek dealer, what would you order?
FX3 disc. FX2 rim brake version. Actually I think they might have discontinued the rim brake fx2.
Any Electra 7i. costs in weight for a plush ride.
Maybe a marlin with a tire change if the roads are really that terrible.

My personal choice for that situation would be the Jamis Coda 1, or 2, 1 if you have lots of wet weather. Or the drop bar equivalent if it's really windy where you are.
>>
I'm a poorfag from colombia and i want a bike, can only spend 30/40 dollars (yes you can find some)
What are some recomendations?
>>
File: index[1].jpg (478 KB, 1600x1200)
478 KB
478 KB JPG
>>1666615
Show us your options puto. As a general rule, you want LOW tech. OLD tech. Simple shit with less moving parts. Friction shifters, because you could literally replace your shifters with a tree branch. Pic somewhat related.
>>
File: Header.jpg (62 KB, 705x400)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1666603
I would go for it. The one thing to consider is if the headtube is really high enough for you.
Road bikes come in 2 flavours, race bikes, and endurance bikes. Endurance bikes are designed for boomers and have taller headtubes and so accomodate higher bar positions. They're basically the comfier versions of road bikes.

A Gravel bike is an extension of that low saddle-bar drop. CX bikes typically are not. They are more like race road bikes, designed with minimal saddle-bar drop and aero positions in mind.

You're probably thinking of the wide tires, sure, but your body position will impact your bike being comfier more.
It depends heavily on the bike itself, and your body though. What I would suggest you do, is say you're close to buying it (you are) but ask them to help you set up a correct saddle height, and then see how easily you can setup the bars to have the tops of them only 10cm, or less, lower than your saddle. That would be, to me, a comfy fit. If that requires a high angled stem, or a lot of spaces, I think you'd be better off with a different bike with a taller headtube.
>>
>>1666603
Because also, you might gloss over riding an aero fit on a bike you like, but if you're a noob probably it won't be comfortable at all after like an hour, or for cruising around on.

So the other thing I would consider, is not a gravel bike, but an endurance road bike. Which for a modern disc version, will still fit -relatively- wide (32, 35mm) tires, which is not even necessery less than a tight CX bike might fit, seeing as CX tires have to be 33mm wide. A gravel bike on the other hand, typically will have ~50mm clearance. And for a comfy road tire, imo, 30mm is the right size anyway.

This is not to say you shouldn't buy that CX bike. If you like it and trust the shop, you absolutely should.
>>
>>1666442
>>1666535
>>1666543
Thanks anons, so you wouldn't shy away from buying used carbon then?

>>1666548
>Tap test the entire frame and fork.
Thanks yeah I did that and from what I could tell it was fine, but after talking with buddies etc almost everyone said the same that they wouldn't ride a frame that was hit by a car. So I'll probably just hang it on a wall for some (((art))) or find a cheap groupset and make it a trainer bike.
>>
>>1666674
This is pre disc CX, 35 standard, probably goes to 38 or 42 with no problem.

>>1666854
>Thanks anons, so you wouldn't shy away from buying used carbon then?
Depends on the part and the seller, and condition. Store's insurance and rep are on the line here. Buying unbranded carbon from some dude on ebay used? No.

The questions are, is it compromised, and is it compromised in a way you can detect in a way OTHER than having it explode under your ass in traffic. The poorfag in my riding group got a crash recovered bike, rode it for short distances with frequent inspection for a while, replaced any iffy parts and only then went on long rides and double centuries, and solo rides.
But it's your ass on the line.

There's hit by a car, as in bumped and knocked down, and then there's HIT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPR68gFdapk
>>
>>1666865
Yeah I would only buy it from a shop/not marketplace or craigslist. Thanks appreciate it
>>
I am looking for a new bike after my Ammaco hybrid that I treated like shit for the past 4 years gave up on me. I cycle to work a few times per week year round, but I am also interested in touring recreationally now that international travel is potentially fucked for a little while. I have been advised to spend at least £350. Boardman was recommended to me and the HYB 8.6 Silver looks cool to me but I think for year round commuting I'd prefer mud guards. How are Tokyo Bike? It seems like they kind of gouge you on the accessories (£60 for mud guards). I wasn't sure if it would end up being too heavy for me but I've seen some vintage Dawes Galaxy's that seem cool. It has a rack and mud guards as standard.
>>
>>1666547
I’m 6’5 and weigh about 340
>>
File: Mobility_Scooter.jpg (55 KB, 700x700)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>1667002
>>
>>1667022
Do you just follow this guy around to post these?
>>
Can't get my road bike dialed in.
Is a professional bike fit worth it?

Not taking the chance of wasting money for nothing in the end.
>>
>>1667040
You are not trying hard enough. Also post picture
>>
Can I get a second pair of eyes on this?

https://www.citygrounds.com/products/marin-fairfax-2-commuter-bike-2020?variant=30104994054255

Don't see anything insane about it and I'm tempted to pull the trigger but I'd like a reality check.
>>
>>1667088
decent entry level bike
>>
>>1666574
Boone 7 anon here again with a question. Lots of cycling co-workers have agreed that this price ranges from fair to great when the convenience factors in. To complicate the decision a coworker offered to GIVE me an old Fuji he inherited from a friend who died. Everything about it is from the 90s, shifters in frame was difficult at first. I rode it and it still made me happy, but I keep thinking about the 2k bike. My wallet is telling me I'm an idiot for passing up on a free bike in the face of 2k.
Is having an old bike rewarding in any fashion? Cheap maintenance? Cheap parts? Is it like wrenching where it's better to work on something old? Does any of that apply? I'm thinking about taking him up on it just because and still buying the other, but I haven't a lot of room. The Fuji would probably need to stay with my car in the apartment garage which is less safe while I bring the Boone up 3 flights to safety.
>>
>>1667091
Exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!
>>
>>1667040
The technical side behind legit high end bike fits isn't bullshit, but it's not an exact science that can just be 100% accurately applied by someone who understands it. There's always a risk it won't work out well for you.

I'd suggest 1 of two things though
try find a professional fitter, preferably someone who works a lot with real higher level athletes, if you want to pay money, not just a lbsgoon with a bit of training and some fancy equipment. You could contact pro cycling teams/ your national setup and see who they use.

or, try find someone older in a lbs, that doesn't have an expensive pro-fitting service, like a more low-rent/community type shop, and pick your moment to ask for help setting up your bike, for some cash, like maybe they'll spend half an hour on it, and charge you $20, that type of fit. That can be really helpful, just having someone experienced and another set of eyes. They can watch you backpedal holding a wall. You won't get a caad model of your asshole and lazer tracking of your knees but it would be better than a trial and error self fit if the guy is onto it.

Trial and error fits are heavily flawed because a: even positive changes might feel wrong until your body adjusts to them, and b: your fit has to be REALLY bad for your body to actually not just deal with it.
>>
>>1666997
Bike availability
Bordman HYB 8.6
Shit suspension. Unless you're on cobblestones, you don't want suspension. Go with fatter tires instead. Still good enough.

Tokyobike. Hipster copies of english roadsters. Still good enough.

Is the ammaco really not servicable?

>>1667026
I think we have at least 3 people who post that shit for the Clydesdales.

>>1667040
You need a quality fitter.

>>1667088
One full step above entry level in the shitheap hybrid class. That fork has ZERO give, so account for that with your tire choices. About the cheapest thing with hydraulic brakes. The drivetrain is on the cheap side. Best use is as a wet weather commuter. If you're dry weather only, consider dropping all the way to rim brakes.

For the same basic bike with a plusher ride, and better everything look at the muirwoods.

>>1667094
>Is having an old bike rewarding in any fashion? Cheap maintenance? Cheap parts?
Some people prefer it.
Here's a plan. If the gift REMOTELY fits. Ride the gift until you actually learn basic shit, like how to maintain a drivetrain, whether you like more or less aggressive geometry, Then when it's time to buy, you know what you want without guessing. You'll still probably need to buy some fitting parts, unless you have the same sized ass as the rider who has passed on..

Hell, maybe you want to take that 2k and buy a carbon fiber spandex asshole racer, or a mountain bike you could jump off a roof with.

Lets take a look at the gift bike. 90's fuji was actually very good at times, possibly the company's peak.
>>
>>1667094
>Is having an old bike rewarding in any fashion? Cheap maintenance? Cheap parts? Is it like wrenching where it's better to work on something old? Does any of that apply?

yes, all of it applies, especially for a sweet spot in the 90s. Earlier bikes use older standards which can often complicate things and make parts rare or non-standard again.
Sweet spot 90s bikes have the absolute cheapest parts which are all common and widely available in reasonable quality. And they're the easiest to work on because of mechanical simplicity.

The same is true for cars, when you get early fuel injection, like 90s EF/EG civic would be peak complexity/commonality/reasonable preformance.
>>
>>1667094
>I'm thinking about taking him up on it just because and still buying the other, but I haven't a lot of room.
makes absolute sense to have both
If it's a nicer version of itself the fuji could be done up, with a few upgrades, into a decent sporting bike, that you could keep up with on long road rides, but it's still going to lag behind preformance wise that last 10%.
It is very nice having a beater you can lock up around town and not worry too much about, maybe chuck a rack + basket on it for shopping and stuff, or lend to friends sometimes to go on rides.
>>
>>1667094
other great reason to have 2 bikes is you can work on one at a time, without the time pressure of needing to finish the job so you have a bike to ride.
>>
>>1667271
>For the same basic bike with a plusher ride, and better everything look at the muirwoods.

Thanks for the advise! I'm really new to bikes so still trying to figure out whats good and whats shit.
>>
bought a new carbon road bike 4 weeks ago - is amazing - not even 100kms in and the 105 groupset is crunching / skipping / clunky absolutely terrible - brand new . anyone else had a similar experience ? thoroughly pissed off
>>
>>1667288
New bike cable stretch. Make sure it’s adjusted right.
>>
oh cool - cheers . will check cable
>>
>>1667288
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
>Shifting to larger sprockets is accomplished by tightening the cable;
if such shifts are slow, the cable is not tight enough--
turn the barrel counterclockwise to tighten it.

>Shifting to smaller sprockets is accomplished by loosening the cable;
if such shifts are too slow, the cable is not loose enough--
turn the barrel clockwise to loosen it.

write this down or take it on your phone or something
ride around making small half turns until it's perfect. Seeing as it's a new bike you should be able to ignore every other aspect to tuning a drivetrain. If there isn't a sweet spot of cable tension i'd take it back to the shop.
>>
File: 1616696736821.png (268 KB, 1008x559)
268 KB
268 KB PNG
Uhhh (e) Bike bros?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xqxvtc2Wxs
>>
>>1667271
>Bordman HYB 8.6
The Boardman bike doesn't have a suspension..?
>Is the ammaco really not servicable?
No. It's a 7 speed, I treated it like shit and it needs a new wheel and full drive train.
>>
really really appreciate the link and info pal about autoskipping and gears crunching ! absolute legend - have a great day
>>
>>1666595
For your budget of 2400 usd you can get a brand new Canyon Endurace CF 7.0. Fits your requirements perfectly.
>>
File: CAAD Optimo 2.png (759 KB, 1349x1097)
759 KB
759 KB PNG
Okay, my nearest bike shop seems to have Cube and Stevens bicycles. The Cube bikes look super nice, but are super expensive it seems. The Stevens bikes are too expensive, apart from this Stevens one, which seems super inexpensive compared to the others, but the frame looks kinda "fat":

https://www.stevensbikes.de/2021/index.php?bik_id=1&cou=DE&lang=en_US

Another bike dealer in my area has this Cannondale (picture) for 1300 Euros, and it seems like a more well-known brand to me and looks better. Not sure if it is worth it, though.
I'm also still not sure whether I shouldn't just order online, but I think it's a bad idea because I have no idea what I'm doing.

My budget is "Please not more than 1300 Euros", but I'm not sure if that's even reasonable. I wish I could just get an old steel road bike for like 400 bucks, lol.
>>
>>1667329
Hmmm. I must have been looking at the MTX by accident or some other model.

Seems like a basic shitheap hybrid, leaning towards the divot that's flat bar road.. 9 speed, but some of the parts are oddly cheaped out
on. specifically the Prowheel, square taper crankset.

The wheels are an iffy choice. Heavy. Deeper than normal on a bike that can't take advantage of the aero. But they should work.

Acceptable all weather commuter. If the terrain is really flat, and you aren't running cargo, you might consider the IGH version in the urb.

>>1667369
Sheldon brown was THE man who compiled 100 years of bicycle shop practices and legends into easily readable workable shit on the internet.
>>
File: stage-2[1].jpg (486 KB, 2000x1190)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
>>1667398
Cube is a well known brand, but they're swiss so they're low key weirdos. In normal years they have a full range of bikes, but this isn't a normal one.

Stevens is only known in germany.

Both of them field UCI racers, they lean towards MTB. Stevens sometimes also has a continental team.

CAAD is a performance racer. Possibly the best aluminum racing frame on the market, but if you're not a performance rider, you probably don't care.

All three should have legit offerings in your range, although maybe not in stock at the moment.

Can you figure out fit on your own?
>>
>>1667408
Thanks for the information, useful. Also nice picture. I think I'll just try to ask at the Cube/Stevens shop what bikes they carry and then decide.
And at the bigger bike shop in my area that carries "everything", I might ask them about the cannondale CAAD optimo 3, which is cheaper than the optimo 2; and maybe about the Giant Contend 1. They look very appealing in terms of price. I guess my only worry is that I live in the foothills and am used to my MTB gearing for the climbs, but I'll just ask around.

https://www.cannondale.com/de-de/bikes/road/race/caad-optimo/caad-optimo-3
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/de/contend-1

>Can you figure out fit on your own?
No, probably not, as I never owned a road bike. I should probably go to a bike shop and ask them for a fit, even if it may be a bit costly. My current bike frame is too small, and I started feeling my lower back on rides.
>>
>>1667419
Figure out your current gear range on your mtb. Don’t just count teeth. Include wheel size and crank length. At your price range you shouldn’t have too much difficulty finding something , except with things like SRAM 1X

Giant makes some of the best frames in the world, but some of their bikes have weird shit you don’t want.
>>
>>1667423
>Don’t just count teeth. Include wheel size and crank length.
Interesting, thanks!
>>
>>1667469
https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

Changing gear ranges is almost certainly just replacing the rear cassette, which the shop might do, for a nominal fee when you buy the bike.

Contend 1 is a very good basic performance road bike. It's not going to be as racy as the CAAD, but it should be way lighter and faster than what you're used to. Probably worth the test ride.
>>
>>1667408
Cube is German
>>
>>1667398
>I wish I could just get an old steel road bike for like 400 bucks, lol.

What stops you from doing so?
>>
>>1667492
Right. I'm confusing them with BMC. But the same aesthetic of stodgy and almost autistic as Stevens, Scott. Bikes are good though.
>>
File: bianchi.jpg (796 KB, 2800x1693)
796 KB
796 KB JPG
>>1667493
I asked an acquaintance who's into cycling, he told me I should not bother with used bikes if possible (probably because he knows that I don't know what I'm doing).

Besides that, most bikes in my area seem to be too small for my tall ass.
I found a Bianchi Rekord 910 in a size that might fit me for about 300 euros, but the seller is bit far away, and I don't even know what speed the cassette is etc. (I heard you should prefer 9 speed for parts availability); I also don't know if any local bike shop could help me with old shimano 600 components etc. when I inevitably will run into trouble.
I also don't really know how to spot if the bike had accidents/minor structural damage. It's all just "no rust, just works, trust me bruh, and btw I replaced the fork", and I'm not qualified enough to assess if the bikes are actually safe, and don't want to bother other people to do that work for me just because I'm stingy, lol.
I mean those bikes are from the 80ies and older than me, and even I start breaking down.

To summarise: I'm lazy and dumb, woe is me.
>>
>>1667513
The possible problem(atleast what i encountered with mine) with an old road bike will probably be that the crankset is gonna be something like 42/52 with a 6 or 7 speed cassette with possibly little spread. On the flats thats no problem but if you face some longer/steeper climbs it's gonna get hard.
And in the 90s the freehub standard changed, so you cant just change cassettes. I love my steel bike but it's not perfect and if i had the budget i'd probably go for something more modern. Not to deter you from buying one but i just wish i would have known this when i bought mine.
>>
>>1667577
A lot of 2x12 bikes came with 52-48 x 11-28 which gives you a 48-28 low which is reasonable for anything up to like a 10% grade if you have a pretty good power output
>>
File: stelvio_velvet-black.jpg (84 KB, 800x470)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>1667577
> I love my steel bike but it's not perfect and if i had the budget i'd probably go for something more modern. Not to deter you from buying one but i just wish i would have known this when i bought mine.
Thanks. Makes sense to me. I probably don't want to bother with it for now even if it's super appealing in its own way; it was more of an unrealistic thought of mine. But it's probably nice that it might force you to do more research about maintenance etc. with all the quirks of the old bike etc. I'm glad you came to love your bike!

I think I'll just bite the bullet and get myself an okay new bike, even if it may end up a bit costlier.
I'll ask the shop on advice if something like Stevens Stelvio might fit my needs, it's seems genuinely okay to my unqualified eyes. It has a shimano 105, an 11-speed 11-32 cassette, a 50-34 crankset, and also is like a kilo ligher than the Cannondales I've looked at in the same price range (which also seemed to have "inferior" cassettes, are heavier, and come with "worse" derailleurs).

https://www.stevensbikes.de/2021/index.php?bik_id=4&cou=DE&lang=en_US
>>
>>1667513
>To summarise: I'm lazy and dumb, woe is me.

do they sell state bicycles in germany? state used to be a joke but sells an undercover great bike.

https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/4130-steel-bikes/products/4130-road-hunter-green-8-speed
>>
>>1667633
that bike is cool. great specs too. get that one. nobody ever LOVES their cube
>>
>>1667633
That's a very nice bike, should be a lot of fun
>>
>>1667636
Cool, thanks! I did not know steel bikes were that light actually, and even though I'm not sure about the derailleur and gearing etc., the price seems appealing. I think they ship to Europe, but I don't think the local shops in my area sell them.

>>1667636
>>1667641
Thanks, that's kinda reassuring. I don't know why I missed it on my initial search. Let's see if I'll end up with that one!
>>
>>1667633
>, and also is like a kilo ligher than the Cannondales

bike companies are like fat girls. notorious weight liars. who knows which is lighter. probably the cannondale if it is a caad. doesnt matter

I've looked at in the same price range (which also seemed to have "inferior" cassettes,

>there is no such thing. and unless you are hugefat or cycling up mountains or an unracer youll probably want to replace the 11-32 for an 11-28. but dont worry about that.

>and come with "worse" derailleurs).

they are all pretty much the same above tourney. more expensive is lighter.

Stevens is similar to cannondale, they even have the odd sizing of xl=60cm and xxl=62cm,

Stevens has a better Bottom Bracket
>>
>>1667643
>Cool, thanks! I did not know steel bikes were that light actually,

they arent. that is a 6061 t6 aluminum bike with a full carbon fork. essentially the best bang for the buck you can get.
>>
>>1667513
Sounds like a fair deal. You can always take a test ride, and then if you like the bike offer him 250€.
>>
>>1667645
>bike companies are like fat girls. notorious weight liars.
Oh yeah, that's good to keep in mind, thanks. I found some different values on different websites.
>or cycling up mountains
Yeah, that's kinda me.
>unless you are hugefat or an unracer
Nah, and I definitely have some athletic ambitions, mostly because I can't put in as much volume into my running as I'd like to anymore. So not sure. I think it's best to let the local bike people judge over my abilities, lol.
>they are all pretty much the same above tourney. more expensive is lighter.
Thanks, that's interesting. I only read the shimano 105 was better than the Tiagra on the German wikipedia, and also read some articles which stated that the 105 is what you want to get basically, but I also read elsewhere that it doesn't really matter, so you're probably right. Maybe I should just try both the Stevens and the CAAD Cannondale at the two shops.

>>1667646
Ah sorry, I was referring to the State bicycle, not the Stevens.

>>1667651
> and then if you like the bike offer him 250€.
Lol, I'm not the kind of person that'd be good at bargaining, I'd just feel rude.
>>
>>1667654
>Maybe I should just try both the Stevens and the CAAD Cannondale at the two shops.

thats probably the best idea. from the specs and website the stevens looks better, if only because it has cooler paint and is a bb86 bottom bracket.

>>1667654
>Ah sorry, I was referring to the State bicycle, not the Stevens.

state bikes are lots of fun. they rode the fixie fad into becoming a real company

if you are interested in steel look up fairdale or marin
>>
>>1666624
Hey anon, to be honest im looking for a mountain bike like pic related, since most of the street are shit here, some advice for it?
>>
File: 1609293077087.jpg (95 KB, 732x772)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>State Bicycle
https://www.statebicycle.com/blogs/news/state-bicycle-co-x-rick-morty
>>
File: Bird Sticker.jpg (550 KB, 877x1387)
550 KB
550 KB JPG
>>1667646
>tfw steel bike is piggu 10 kg 52 cm frame
is $ 145 usd too much for a frame made by an obscure brand ?
it comes with a full set of shimano 105 1055
>>
>>1667716
That's the general direction you should be looking at. That specific one? That was a piece of shit walmart class bike, The seatpost may be raised out of functional range, and it's likely the front wheel has been replaced by a kids 24" wheel. And the brake cable and noodle seem to be missing.

One thing you might look for is a bike like that with NOTHING ELSE WRONG but fucked shifters, and then replace the shifters with super cheap friction ones that are almost impossible to fuck up.
>>
>>1667271
>>1667279
>>1667281
>>1667282
Boone 7 back again. I did some digging and i have been bequeathed a 1989 Club Fuji in Jade Blue in pretty good condition. Is this too early for the "sweet spot" of bike maintenance?
I already have a bit of a soft spot for it, would it be possible to convert this to single speed or something if its going to be hard to get parts for?
>>
File: 1609409591097.jpg (111 KB, 935x761)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>1667315
>jab is worthless
>whole world gonna shut down again
the normie seethe is going to take on physical form and become a chaos god
>>
>>1667737
no it's basically perfect.
That's entry level 'club', 'sport' both mean entry level, but it's entry level of very good, from the dream era.
I started on a bike of a similiar level, low end chromoly, exage 7 speed groupset, and i've ridden a lot of bikes now, fancy ones too, including a modern full carbon Dura Ace road bike for a couple seasons and honestly that first bike was 90% of the way there and i'd happily never ride anything else.

The downsides you'll find are that the braking will leave something to be desired, but you can re-cable and you can easily install a modern front brake caliper, or even just put on better pads and recable, and that will solve it.
Also the gearing is quite narrow, so you won't be able to comfortably spin up long/steep climbs, which modern road bikes did address, the trend shifted to overall wider gearing. But you can go -somewhat- wider, very easily, with a $20 new cassette, if you live somewhere hilly.
The third and only other real downside is the downtube shifters. Personally I love downtube shifters and I put them on bike builds by choice. But there are downsides and it will take a while to get used to.

Beyond that, the bike will go from 'beater' to proper road machine if you service all the bearings and cables, get a new chain, get new bartape, get clipless pedals, and most importantly upgrade to fast modern tires. None of it is necessery and you can do it bit by bit.
You could also chuck a rack and basket on it if it is your beater, it has the mounts for it.
>>
>>1667752
Replying my original post for reference >>1666574
I was able to get them to 1800 for this guy, the shifters i forgot about are dura ace. My coworkers are convinced its a steal here in the Minneapolis area as its near impossible to find a bike in stock. I've budgeted up to 2k to "buy once cry once" a bike and this thing is great.
That being said, it sounds like this Fuji that fell into my lap as a gift will probably suit my needs if I care for it. I'm torn to say the least, part of me still wants that carbon.
>>
>>1667752
Oh, Is it difficult to move the downtube shifters? (though that might appall you) They do seem rather cool, i like the tactile feel, but it feels unsafe for me to shift as I don't have the muscle memory to do it without thought yet.
>>
>>1665290
Bought a Tern Link D8
It's the first bike I've ever bought,
so far pretty fun to ride, but I have very little to compare it too.
What should I be wary of or keep in mind?
>>
>>1667737
since I'm a filthy casual I like using EXAGE motion SL-A250 six speed flipper shift levers
a newer 7 speed version SL-A050 exists but I've yet to try it, and people online seem to hate them
>>
>>1667763
just do both dude. Why is it either or. Take the beater out when you're drunk or want to lock it and leave it. Put a rack on it to carry stuff. Use it as a project to learn mechanical skills with low stakes.
>>1667764
Possible in numerous ways but I don't think there's a sensible way to do it. Just treat it a lot of the time like a singlespeed bike. Ride the gear you're in, and don't even think about it. It's fun to ride like that. Maybe you shift occasionally when you're not under stress.
>>
>>1667772
Thanks for the nudge, its been on my mind. Adds versatility. And I guess if things turn to me mostly riding the Fuji I can turn around and sell the spendy one, it seems i've a few coworkers interested already.
I was thinking about a single speed conversion for easy of maitenance/simplicity while also erasing the downtube issue. For the time being i'll definitely take your advice. Its pretty flat here and I shouldn't be needing to be to precise on gearing anyway. I agree it will be nice to be able to tinker with it without worrying about not having something to ride.
>>
>>1667764
>I don't think there's a sensible way to do it
to expand
it's not wrong to modify a bike. It can always be changed back. It is wrong to modify a bike before you've serviced it and overhauled it and upgraded it and ridden it a bit. You're putting money and effort into arbitrarily changing it rather than looking after it and improving it.
It's like cutting your springs before doing an oil change on a car.
>>
>>1667764
>do you enjoy having manual crank windows in a car?
>Is clicking your shifter too easy for you?
>Non-indexed shifters below the top tube may be for you
>>
>>1667950
>>do you enjoy having manual crank windows in a car?
Yes
it's unironically superior because you can use the windows with the car off. I miss having them. If my electric regs ever die i'm going to try and convert.
>>
File: 20210612_143632.jpg (2.52 MB, 2540x1905)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
Just bought my first bike ever, did I do good bros? It's a Cannondale quick 6
>>
File: bad.jpg (486 KB, 2000x1335)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
>>1667994
seems ok, a Bad Boy would have been cooler, though
>>
>>1667996
Maybe, but this was only $650.
>>
>>1667996
I want to slap some drops on one of these bad boys
>>
>>1667737
In it's day, it was not just a road bike but a full on entry level/midrange race bike that would be at competitions. One full tier above the ACE. Only two pounds and a slightly worse everything than their full TDF racers.

I'm not sure about the rear hub, but that's definitely a keeper. I think it's the newer standard. You actually still have easily available replacement rear wheels if it comes down to it.

>would it be possible to convert this to single speed or something
Yes. The old road racer tradition is to race this until the wheels die, then buy a new race day bike, put a fixed gear rear wheel on the old bike, and use it for winter training. See Sheldon Brown's fixed gear conversion page.

Unless the thing doesn't fit you, you should ride it. Possibly by fit parts, like a saddle or a tire swap to make it work for you. I would ride it until you have a better idea of what you're doing, then either go for the big purchase, or not..
>>
>>1667994
Quick is good in the shitheap hybrid range. Saddle is terrible for that riding position. Make sure it fits, swap if it doesn't.

Cheap ass drivetrain. Unusually good ride quality for a shitheap hybrid these days.

>>1667996
That fork gives me the heebie jeebies.
>>
File: 296326.jpg (890 KB, 1800x1350)
890 KB
890 KB JPG
Hey. Bike noob here looking for advice. Found pic related on the classifieds of a Swedish bike site/forum. Frame is basically walmart tier I guess but almost all components are switched out. I'll be using it on my daily commute all year round and maybe some light gravel trails. Guy is asking 3000 SEK (~350 usd). Is this value or just a noob trap?
https://happyride.se/annonser/mtb-26-x-pro-1x10-speed.156554/
>>
>>1668007
That is a serious why the FUCK would you do that? In any case, those frames are ok, but on the heavy side, and it's probably a good build. You will probably want a saddle swap for a commuter, but trust your ass.

I can't id the brakes. they're hydraulics?. Add fenders for wet weather. It's probably equivalent to a mid range hardtail from 5 years ago. If the price is right, which it probably is, I'd check it out.
>>
>>1667958
> If my electric regs ever die i'm going to try and convert.
Sure thing, bro.
>>
>>1668007
That looks pretty nice. Component wise, you won't find that on anything sub $1000 usd.
>>
>>1668014
>That is a serious why the FUCK would you do that?
It boggles the mind.

Hydraulic brakes yes. The levers are XT but idk what the brakes themselves are. I'll DM the seller and ask. Since he doesn't mention anything I imagine they're the possibly dubious stock breaks. At least the pads and back disc are new.
I've never had anything hydraulic before. How much of a hassle is it to take care of?
>>
>>1668033
You are best off letting the bike shop take care off this shit. It's designed to be as annoying as possible.
>>
anons, i could trade an xbox 360 for this bike, the seller said it is ok as long as i go to pick it up and he gets my kinetic too, is it worth it?
also the video game has no adapter.
https://df.olx.com.br/distrito-federal-e-regiao/ciclismo/caloi-10-speed-888716187
>>
>>1665297
1980s-1990s 7 speeds are great.
>>
where's a good place to buy bike parts (in Canada if it matters)? I want to turn my shitty old road bike into a fixie, I just need a track cog and lock ring.

I don't know how much I should spend on it either, obviously not something $100 since the bike isn't even worth that much, maybe something for like $20
>>
>>1668061
>where's a good place
A local bike shop
>fixie
Faggot
>a leaf
Makes sense
>>
>>1665290
>Due to bike shortages it's kind of pointless recommending specific new models.
This was always pointless even before the shortages.
>>
I posted in the question general, but nobody’s replying, so I’m assuming it’s the wrong thread to ask, so here it is again

how good are old bike components compared to new ones?
like let’s say a deore xt derailleur from 2003, does it even remotely compare to modern xt, or would I be better off getting modern alivio or something?
what about things like wheel hubs?
>>
>>1668097
Metallurgy has improved in the last 20 years sooooo if the build quality is the same the new one is better.

Also at least with road bikes its trickled down. Sora used to have thumb mounted stem shifters only 2 gens ago. Now a claris sti shifts like butter. An enthusiast hobbyist would be on Dura Ace 20 years ago now only pros ride DA and 105 is the norm for hobbyists
>>
>>1667994
This thing is just outright depressing, nothing remotely interesting about it. And whoever did that cable job knew that. Revolting. You did not do good.
>>
>>1668097
>deore xt derailleur from 2003
might be "rapid rise" / Low normal the spring tension of the Rear Derailleur pulls the chain upwards onto the largest cassette cog
where as High Normal is much more common, the spring pulls the chain downwards onto the smallest cassette cog with the help of gravity so when the spring wears out its not so much of a big deal
that year of XT came with Shimano ST M760 "dual control" levers, they are like brifters but worse

>modern xt
>modern alivio
I have not dealt with them much but 11 and 12 speed derailleurs require careful adjustment
especially the super long cage types made for 40 and 50 tooth cassettes, pay close attention to the limit screws and B tension screws
weather or not you want an FD depends on where you use the bike, if its only used off road 1x is fine
but I see people who go out on the road with gearing that is too low and they quickly wear out the three smallest sprockets of the cassette

disk brakes are cool at first, and even when fully worn out they still kind of work piston on metal
hydraulics disk brakes can be a bit fiddly to keep topped up, and they each have a different kind of oil that recommended
pads can be a pain to get sometimes and their design changes wildly per brand and year, its the main thing I dont like about disk brakes
>>
>>1668130
>Metallurgy has improved in the last 20 years
Post examples and sources.
>>
>>1668136
>I'm a bitchy fag bemoaning someone else's new purchase.
>>
>>1668097
>how good are old bike components compared to new ones?
The short answer is just as good. But it's a lot more complicated than that. It's pointless generalising.

To answer your specific example, I have a 9 speed XT group from 2007. I also have a 9 speed Acera derailer, which is current. I also have a couple of XT derailers, which are from 1989, on bikes, one in a full group. And I have a bike with an Altus group from the 90s, which is low end too.

They are ALL basically the same. It's not to say ALL derailers are decent, but past the early-mid 90s and outside of the absolute bottom end, they basically are. What the cheaper derailers are more prone to do, is over develop slop in their pivots, so there's a bit of play in them, so they don't work -quite- as well, but they work fine. New Acera, old altus, same thing. XT is not so prone to do that. Higher end derailers have nicer pulleys in them too, with ceramic bushings and often bearings rather than just bushings, same then as now, and that doesn't make much of a difference. Other than that slightly nicer build quality, lower weight, these are marginal things. Nice things are nice and higher end is nicer now and then, it hasn't changed.

Old XT, even from the 80s, is better than modern Alivio. But modern Alivio is still very good. And while it's new, would work better than old XT that is at the end of its life (which is very very long).

That's just to address your 1 example. But it's all more complicated. And for MTB derailers, you can compare like for like, ie, traditional drivetrains designed for less technical use, but modern MTB derailers have completely different gear patterns and are clutched and are shadow, which all make them MUCH better for actually hard mtbing, and actually WORSE for casual use like touring or a beater or a commuter or a fire road bike.
>>
>>1668130
>Sora used to have thumb mounted stem shifters only 2 gens ago.
>thumb mounted stem shifters
kek so you mount stem shifters on your thumb?
That sora had STI levers with the thumb buttons.
>>
> An enthusiast hobbyist would be on Dura Ace 20 years ago
The idea of Dura Ace being only for pros is actually an old one. From 6 speed DA in 1984 through to 9 speed DA in 1990, Dura Ace had it's own meme cable pull, and wasn't compatible with anything else. AND that meme cable pull was shorter so indexing was more finicky.

It was only in 1990 when Dura Ace was re-designed to work with Ultegra, 105, and other common parts, and took on the better, compatible cable pull standard.

So from 1988, when a good Ultegra group came in (600 tricolour) until, 1990 when DA became not a meme, Ultegra was actually MORE desirable for any non-pro.
The whole:
>Dura Ace is just way more expensive and slightly lighter and possibly even more fragile and a meme for any non-pro
idea, that is from the 90s.

And you CERTAINLY didn't need to have DA to get a good groupset in later years, you just had to wait 1-2 years for the tech to trickle down. 10spd era 105 was just as good and that's what most serious people rode.
>>
>>1668130
>Sora used to have thumb mounted stem shifters only 2 gens ago. Now a claris sti shifts like butter.
THIS general idea, that low end road groups used to be trash, THIS is wrong too. Exage (claris/sora) in the 90s 7spd DT shifter era, was basically as good as claris/sora are now compared to the higher end groups (very good). The lower stuff just took a few dips when new tech came in and on a few memes. In general it used to be good too.
>>
>>1668015
I've already taken apart the door to replace the door handle myself.
And a lot of compatible cars in junkyards have the manual windows.

I'm not going to do it for no reason but if it has to be done, and the car is nearly 30 years old so it might, then yeah, what's so crazy about that?
>>
File: 1618600968098.jpg (29 KB, 600x483)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>tfw need a small frame bike but all the used bikes are medium-large sized
>>
>>1668203
it will be cheaper if you do find something good though because it's a meme size and the demand will be low
>>
>>1668203
I have one if that makes you feel better
>>
>>1668167
You need to have a thick skin to post your shit here. You could poast the most thoughtfully curated NAHBS award-winning bike here and someone will take exception to some aspect of it and tell you you're a tasteless gorm who should die choking on 1000 dicks
>>
>>1668332
you probably can't distinguish between shitposting and constructive advice
sometimes it blurs together but any >you really is good and most people are pretty nice.
>>
File: 1612746806156.png (133 KB, 2000x550)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
>>1668203
Have you tried not being short?
>>
>>1667994
Meh for a "cyclist". Perfect for a guy who just wants a bike.
>>
File: 1484604146851.png (1.03 MB, 960x1080)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>1668336
Thank you bro, that's what I was hoping to hear
>>
>>1668437
Put on funky Nitto bars and some gravel tyres and you have a kickass bike
>>
>>1668097
They’re the same. Old stuff was built to last. New stuff might have tons of CAD/modeling making them marginally more efficient, but are built to fail

>>1668130
t. studies the blade
>>
>avoid 7 speed

why?

>avoid steel forks
why? what if i don’t care about carbon forks?
>>
>>1665343
i mean, if you get 7000 miles out of a $350 7 speed, i’d say it’s more than lived up to its price point. besides, if you like the frame, building it up with better parts after 7000 miles is a sensible cost and provides for a good project. that’s far preferable for someone getting into the hobby than for someone to pay up to $1000 and not even rise that 7000 miles anyway
>>
>>1668497
>>avoid 7 speed
>why?
7 speeds today are ancient freewheel hubs that bend the axles and have shitty bolt on axle fastening. Generally found on bottom of the barrel shitty bikes.
Look for 8 or 9 speeds if you are looking for a budget bike.
Steel forks are generally hiten steel forks that are heavy and shitty, look for chromoly steel or alloy frame and carbon fork. Chromoly frames are generally more expensive than alloy frames though.
>>
>>1668497
People ask this every fucking thread. New bikes with 7sp freewheels are inevitably shit. And it didn't say avoid steel forks, it said avoid alloy and hiten forks, which also are signs of shit bikes. Good steel forks are still around of course but are generally found on $1500+ framesets.
>>
>>1665290
>>avoid 7 speed
>>avoid cheap suspension
>>avoid alloy/hiten forks.
You forgot to add >avoid SRAM
>>
>>1665356
in my experience I had to cut my freewheel off after breaking my freewheel tool into 4 pieces, I was done with freewheels after that. Cassettes are much easier to use, just a chain whip and a cassette tool, relatively painless
>>
Am I retarded, why is this so expensive? I know people like CAAD's but damn

https://www.theproscloset.com/products/cannondale-caad12-road-bike-2016-52cm
>>
>>1668565
same price as a Caad 13 with Ultegra, new. Bit ridiculous but it is 1 tier up.
>>
>>1667733
Thanks for the tips anon, im still looking for the bike, as soon i buy it im gona post it here
>>
Is this a good deal?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/bik/d/lancaster-trek-400-series-touring-bike/7334849586.html

Also what are the chances that there is something wrong with this second listing? It seems too good to be true, whaot should I look out for when I meat up with this guy?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/bop/d/canyon-country-mavic-ksyrium-rear-wheel/7335943564.html
>>
>>1668641
>Is this a good deal?
Fuck no, shit's almost 40 years old.

>Also what are the chances that there is something wrong with this second listing?

>20 years old
>one wheel only
>carbon fiber hub
>even with meme hub mfg claimed weight is 887g
Even if it's in good shape everything is wrong with it.
>>
>>1668654
why do you even fucking reply to questions about craigslist listings if you don't like old bikes? You just concern troll people.
A trek touring bike now, is $1800

>>1668641
>Is this a good deal?
No, it's an ok deal. It's a relatively good but not special frame. There are some great upgrades, like the triple (triplizer maybe?) the rd, the modern front brake caliper with cartridge pads
Getting all the touring gear is very nice.
the wheels on it are garbage. 27" and what looks like steel rims, with a freehub. And the tire sidewalls look dry rotted. To me, it's a project, with new 700c cassette wheels. That would give more tire clearance (great) because it's a 27" bike, but would require longer reach brakes, and those brake hoods are rotted too, so i'd want to replace the levers also.
It would probably be acceptable as a beater without that change, but to be decent or for a reliable tourer, you'd want to do it, and that would tack on 100-200 more to the price. Not not worth it but maybe at that price you could get something which has those features, and is a bit nicer, like a trek 520.
>>
>>1668641
First is OK, with Los Angeles prices going crazy. One thing to watch for: That bike has had a RIDDICULOUS amount of heavy use. I would expect a full overhaul to be necessary. Unless you're a good mech, pass.

Second: It's racing carbon.
>>
>>1668661
Only the hub is carbon.
>>
need help about praxis zayante carbon or GRX RX-810?
>>
>>1668659
>>1668661
Thanks Ill take a pass on the bike.
>>
Is $495 too much for pic related?
>>
>>1668659
>A new pickup costs $30,000 therefore asking $5,000 for my 1980 shitheap with 400,000 miles isn't ridiculous.
>>
>>1668759
200 to 1800 is 9 times
30,000/9 is $3300

Considering that bicycles are actually extremely viable to fix up to good condition, how much do you think a good condition (no real rust issues) late 80s/ 90s hilux say, would run you now?
>>
>>1668735
Nah
DIY, it doesn't look that complicated to cobble together
>>
>>1668759
I'll give you a hint
It's not 3000
https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/d/victorville-1985-toyota-pickup-4x4-runs/7330330533.html
that's not cherry picked either, it's the 1 example from his market. Sure it's a ripoff, but 5000 would be reasonable as fuck, anywhere, not just for autism value, but for practical value too, if you're a practical man.

So your comparison is nonsense.
>>
>>1668763
>NO LOWBALLERS I KNOW WHAT I GOT
my sides
>>
>>1668764
lol well yeah but you're still btfo if it's worth 1/4 of what he thinks
>>
So, my bike is busted
The only bike shop close to me is a Trek shop
I'm thinking about buying a Domane Alu 2 to replace my old bike
Do I go for it?
>>
>>1668771
If they miraculously have one in stock, definitely.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/domane/domane-al/domane-al-2/p/33037/
>mfw list price for a claris bike is $1k now
lmao fuck china
>>
>>1668774
I'll walk there and look what they have. Let's hope they have one. if it's in blue, even better.
>>
>>1668776
You can check on that link, actually. Pick the size and it should show up under the 'add to cart' button. If you don't know what size there's a chart farther down the page, but only think of it as an estimate.

May not be 100% accurate (but is usually pretty accurate).
>>
File: suteki_12.jpg (94 KB, 800x456)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
Is this Suteki-12 worth $100 ($82USD/€68) or is it over valued?
It's not common to see reasonably priced older bikes in my area and I'm still new to second hand bike pricing.

kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/st-johns/adult-sized-bicycle/1571608242
>>
File: brave_OR0d0C2o9F.png (836 KB, 1415x801)
836 KB
836 KB PNG
Is this a good bike for day-to-day use? Stuff like running errands, visiting friends, cycling to public transport, etc.

https://www.mantel.com/batavus-finez-stadsfiets&spec[]=7009&spec[]=7676&spec[]=7940&spec[]=8024&spec[]=8389#specifications
>>
>>1668771
yes
>>
>>1668778
imo you should think about rounding down the size, some anons say their domane is too big for them. the rider height suggestion is a bit out of date compared to other brands and compared to what experienced riders choose for themselves.
>>
>>1668956
also an easy rule of thumb is to reference the standover height and compare that to your pubic bone height, you want a bit of clearance when standing over the top tube
>>
>>1668763
>>1668764
My favourite part is the smoke stained headliner. Worth 12000 freedom coins for that alone.
>landlord said he had too many projects
in orbit
>>
File: IMG_20210614_130355.jpg (1.85 MB, 3096x4128)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
>>1667733
>>1668577
Just cop this
>>
File: cyxcyxcyxyc.png (2.43 MB, 2400x1350)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB PNG
I'm thinking about buying a Canyon Stoic 4 once it becomes available. Does anyone have some comments or experience with that bike or a similar agressive hardtail?

Of course it's more downhill oriented with it's slack 65° head tube angle, but a 14kg hardtail still probably climbs just fine?
>>
>>1668771
Since you haven't told us your riding style, I'd say go for it. I'd ignore other anon's suggestions, and do ALL the fit calculations, including stack and reach, and not just settle for pubic bone. it MUST fit.

>>1668979
That looks like it's new, but uses lefover tech from the 1985's. Probably the best you can get for your dollar. Learn how to clean and lube shit.

>>1668980
Roxshock pike select, 140 mm
SRAM NX 12 speed.
Guide T hydraulic brakes
alexrims wheels.
dropper post.

I haven't used that, or anything with that suspension or drivetrain, so I"m going to defer to the other anons. Looks solid for you usage. I'd eyeball it whether it's more or less aggressive than your current ride, but I think it's solid and good for what you want. What the hell are you riding where this thing is going to be underbiked? And weight seems good.
>>
>>1668984
>tech from the 1985's
Big year in biking I guess
>>
>>1669002
It’s when Schwann jumped int the mtb game.
>>
>>1668984
>What the hell are you riding where this thing is going to be underbiked?

Most my rides can probably be considered XC guess with the occasional foray into bikepark/enduro type trails. That's why I still want my next bike to be a strong climber.

And my current 120mm Roscoe 8 is starting to kinda hold me back downhill. The brakes definitely need an updated and I just cracked a rim last week, the rear axle also slightly bent, whatever... fuck this bike shortage. me want shiny new bike
>>
>>1669051
Canyons a little longer, a little slacker, a little less agile, and a little more stable, but I don't think it will be that different. You might wait for the other dirt eating MTBers to check in, but personally, it sounds like exactly what you want.
>>
>>1669055
alright, thanks for the input
>>
>>1668888
Yeah I'd pay 100 for it if the bearings are smooth and the seatpost and stem aren't seized. I might even pay 200 because i like the colour
>>
>>1668894
Get something without suspension, that's a pretty shit bike. It'll probably ride ok ish if it's you're only option, but at low price points stay away from suspension, and consider buying used if you're mechanically handy and willing to do some work
>>
>>1668980
I cant tolerate their logo placement and choice of typeface
>>
>>1668984
shifters are like Shimano SL-TY22
the indexing is pretty notchy
>>
>>1669068
I expect them to be knockoffs, with no indexing. Which in a way is good, because it means you can't fuck up the indexing if it's not there.
>>
>>1668980
I have a dank hardtail, long and modern, 64° head angle, short chainstays, NX/GX eagle blend but idk what you’re asking though
My thing climbs well for being so fucking heavy with basically downhill tires, really comfortable seated climbing position and great at putting down power even on awkwardly steep climbs (the kind where getting off of your bike really isn’t a good option)
>>
>>1668894
No.
>>
>>1669125
Absolutely revolting.
>>
>>1669060
What's wrong with the suspension?
>>
>>1669059
>seatpost and stem aren't seized
they will be, that's to be expected. Fixing them usually involves a hammer and a lot of swearing, but it's not a deal breaker.
>>
>>1669138
Everything
>>
File: jau4zzkn4pd61.jpg (1.33 MB, 3723x2189)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
Thoughts for a 2021 Kona sutra for a bomb proof do everything bike?
>>
>>1669179
If it doesn’t do this it doesn’t do everything
>>
>>1668894
Do you live around motherfuckers who will steal your bike?

It's very good for what it is, which is a luxury commuter. If you actually care about riding performance, it's terrible. The biggest problem is the FUCKHUGE weight.
Sprung seatpost AND saddle AND fork feel like complete overkill. Unless your terrain and ass actually need all that shit, maybe drop some.

The sport version swaps the IGH for deore, and drops the suspension fork but it's barely lighter. The rigid bikes from the same maker really don't save you any weight, according to the specs, which is bizzare.

>>1669192
There's sending it, and then there's whatever THAT is. Cratering it. Did he stick the landing? Did they hold a funeral for his wheelset?

>>1669060
Uh, dude, that is NOT a low price point. It's got dynamo hubs, and an IGH. That's like complaining about a limo.
>>
>>1669198
>that is NOT a low price point
It's basically a shit tier bso, just an absurdly overpriced one, definitely not a nice bike. IGH sucks and dynamo hubs are retarded unless they're really high end ones
>>
>>1669179
on the whole i really like this but there's just 1 thing that infuriates me about it
so, mtb derailers don't have barrel adjusters anymore, because the shifters have barrel adjusters.
But bar-end shifters (road shifters in general) don't have barrel adjusters
touring frames, including this model, used to have barrel adjusters on the downtube cable stop, which was good too. This bike has none of that.

this bike has it's barrel adjuster inline, in the cable run, at the front of the bike. Those type of adjuster are extremely awkward to use (you have to hold them and turn them) and they can slip out of adjustment.

Kona even redesigned their cable run AFTER the writing was on the wall for barrel adjusters in mtb derailers. And WHY did they even want full length housing?

overall it's a sick bike though. I love most of the spec.
>>
>>1669212
it's like the bike is purpose designed around this collection of parts
full deore almost
NICE trp brake system.
the whole thing is supposed to make sense together
but the indexing is adjusted via non-integrated compatibility hack afterthought
>>
>>1669212
Sorry I'm retarded... What is a barrel adjuster? What does full length housing mean?
>>
>>1669221
what is google
>>
>>1669215
You could add an adjuster in after the fact when the cable terminates at the derailleur. Agree tho that full housing is a bit daft, but my guess is they are trying to prevent poor shifting performance when the bike is coated in mud
>>
>>1669198
yeah I think he stuck that one and rolled away. Dunno why but it's hard as hell to find the articles and videos made about Bender's big sends even tho it was only like 20 years ago
>>1669212
may have been one of those things where the 3-4 year lead time on getting a bike from conception to production bit them on the ass and they had to hack shit in. really surprised that the bike is still way under $2k, doubt it will be for long
>>1669221
barrel adjust lets you easily adjust cable tension to correct for cable stretch. full length housing just means they didn't leave exposed shifter cable in the middle of the run like usual, probably for reliability reasons. exposing cables reduces shift friction and makes shifts nicer but can lead to cable runs getting gummed up by shit. since the sutra is an apocalypse bike it makes sense they'd have full housing where possible
>>
>>1669225
easier said than done
the hole is not threaded
i don't know of an aftermarket barrell adjuster that just goes in there
it's still the same issue of having to hack together a new complete bike that's supposed to just werk
>>
>>1669225
and, even if you do find a barrell adjuster that fits perfectly in there, it's still going to spin requiring 2 hands to adjust it, which is bullshit
>>
>>1669125
Absolutely beautiful. Steel frame, right? And thanks for answering my question.
>>
>>1668774
The bike shop guys told me:
"Milagros a Burgos"
>>
>>1665945
>two gravel bikes
fuck gravel bikes. get a decent Enduro Bike instead. You will be slower but it will be way more fun.
If you're not riding gravel / mountain trails, just get a roadbike.
Gravel bikes are a joke.
>>
>>1669274
>get a decent Enduro Bike instead. You will be slower but it will be way more fun.
What? Nah man enduro bike will outperform gravel bikes on he road
>>
File: 1612964665038.jpg (93 KB, 700x700)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>Be me
>Looking for vintage Specialized Stumpjumper
>Locate one 'locally'
>Contact the seller if the bike is still available and how complete everything is and how original
>yeah anon, everything is good to go
>only have one day to look at the bike due to schedule
>kid is home getting over a cold too
>pack up the kid anyways (poor lil' trooper)
>drive forever to meet this guy
>get there
>dude is some old boomer in a dirty old white tank top and ripped shorts
>he takes me and the kid into this dark garage
>kid is already put off by the dude (little kid vibes are real)
>dude shows me the dozens and dozens of bikes he has
>cursory inspection of his inventory doesn't warrant a good feeling and prepare myself to walk away
>I ask him if this is his sole source of income
>'yeah man...people donate bikes and I fix em'
>Oh ok, where's the bike
>'right here anon'
>1992 Stumpjumper Pro in green fade
>I start looking at the bike
>pic related facial expression
>only thing original is the frame, fork and stem
>I straight up ask him what the hell is he doing?
>he swapped the rear cassette and wheel, changed the grips, changed the handlebars, changed the tires, changed the canti brakes, wheels don't match, put a new boomer seat on it
>pretty irritated at this point, kid is getting pissed
>he wants $200 for the bike
>I tell him hell no, it's worth tops $150 with the shit parts
>tells me some story about a bike shop charging blah blah blah for these parts and his superior mechanical service and attention to detail
>the poor bike has literal piss poor chinesium cheap shit all over it
>I tell him I'm not paying more than $150 for his bucket of parts and he can keep his mess
>tell the kid we're getting ice cream
>drive home empty handed
>thought maybe about rescuing that frame but would literally cost double the bike to source date correct parts and I don't want to cave to the boomer menace
>win some you lose some
>meh all the way home about that faggot seller
>>
File: specialized.jpg (126 KB, 1919x637)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>1669285
>enduro bike will outperform gravel bikes on he road
uhhhhh
based on what metric

>heavier
>less aero
>higher rolling resistance
>>
>>1669294
kek you wanted a mint condition barnfind from someone who doesn't know what they got. Don't we all. I bet once you restored it, at minimal cost, you'd become a period collector autist and think it was worth like $800.

the old man was fixing up bikes for people to ride. $200 for a stumpy with some chinkshit to get it in service is a great buy.
>>
>>1669294
>>he swapped the rear cassette and wheel, changed the grips, changed the handlebars, changed the tires, changed the canti brakes, wheels don't match, put a new boomer seat on it

>cassette, grips, tires, saddle
are you fucking serious? Those are all wear items. Next you'll be crying about not having NOS tubes and a NOS chain
>>
>>1669259
Is that yuro for "get fucked"?
>>
>>1669345
Pretty much, more specifically "don't ask me for miracles"
>>
>>1669454
What you are is not fucking clear on exactly what it means, and that other people don't have a collector's idea of "all original". Getting mad was unreasonable, pricing is probably not unreasonable during covid and you burned a potential parts source.
>>
https://southcoast.craigslist.org/d/bicycles/search/bia

Anything worth a damn here?
>>
>>1669244
Yeah steel 2020 Chromag Rootdown, just finished a whole day at the chairlift downhill bike park actually, and that thing fucking ate up every single trail on that mountain, the blacks, the double blacks (one of the double blacks was my first time riding it without putting a foot down), the steeps, the rocks, the optional features, jumps, drops, berms, bottom bracket clearance, the one short climb after the top of the chairlift to my favorite trail, the only thing that wasn’t up to the task was my skeleton (I was hurting the first 3 laps but after that it felt completely normal). I’m blown away how well this hardtail did at the downhill bike park that I usually ride my 180/180mm YT Capra enduro bike at
>>
>>1669454
That’s because $200 is just “it is a functioning bicycle” money, doesn’t matter if it’s period correct garbage or cheap chinese garbage, and nobody really gives a fuck about vintage bikes that have been released to the general public
I think you were being a stickler to the guy, you can’t expect people to know what they’re selling when you’re buying at basically minimum functioning bicycle price, if pristine stock is really your only option that’s fine, but you should’ve drilled him over and over about it on email, gotten detailed pictures, a video, something to confirm it yourself, the bicycle section of Craigslist is not where you find enthusiast Freds with intricate knowledge of their bikes history
>>
>>1669575
how tall are you
>>
>>1669621
>nobody really gives a fuck about vintage bikes that have been released to the general public
oh come on there are a LOT of people who give a fuck about stumpies specifically.
That doesn't mean you have to care about them being show-bike condition, period correct everything, or autist tier. Personally, I hate that.
You're right though $200 is just a price of a nice ridable bike. A good price.

>>1669454
Yes I think you are. $200 is definitely not what a bike-autist would charge for one, in good original condition. I don't share your values and I think that people who do will think highly of what items in their collection is worth. You'd basically have to be robbing a granny whose husband has died and left his bike before other people got to her.
>>
>>1669294
you're exceptionally autistic for thinking vintage stumpjumpers are cool and trying to find a fully original one but not willing to pay full price to have a real collector's grade one shipped to you or just get a nicer modern bike
sleazeballs like him come with the territory, like with used car salesmen, caveat emptor
since you have very high requirements compared to normal bike buyers you should have demanded more detailed pics/info or know what risk you're taking by driving a long distance to go see it
>>
>>1669628
>sleazeballs
doing up a high end old bike with chinkshit and selling it in good riding condition to regular people for a reasonable price is not sleazy behaviour
>>
>>1669630
most people would be better off not being a total cheapskate and buying a new bike like a trek domane al 2 or cannondale quick 3. those old bikes belong in the trash, their owners abandon them or drop them off at the dump but then they get "recycled" into a barely roadworthy condition. normalfags have ridiculously low standards, they'll accept frames that aren't even straight, shitty brakes etc.
>>
>>1669632
suck shit nobike cunt
>>
>>1669634
cope
>>
>>1669635
cope about what
>>
>>1669636
you ride old and slow unracer neckbeard bikes which are impractical to service like with square taper cranks and cup and cone bearings while being an armchair expert shitting on fixed gear bikes for not being faster than $10000 road race bikes in your contrived scenario with steep climbs and descents even though this is not a race
you have nothing better to than lurk /n/ all day picking fights with people to maintain your sense of superiority while being a boomer who scalps bikes on cragslist to make a few dozen bucks here and there
>>
>>1669617
>leaving strava on during chairlifts
YOU HAVE BROUGHT SHAME ONTO YOU AND YOU FAMILY
>>
>>1669621
Yes and no. There are plenty of people who have nice bikes and simply want to unload without much hassle or who don't have the time to dick around with waiting for months for a buyer to come around at their asking price. Deals are out there. The three couches in my living room were $9,000 each out of the show room, but I bought second-hand from some super rich widow who wanted to get rid of them and I got them for a fraction of the cost. She showed me the invoice and threw in a $2,000 coffee table for free... you can score virtually everywhere. Deals can be made in every aspect of buying and selling. More times than not, people don't realize the deal or don't move quickly enough to beat other anons who have realized the deal.

>>1669458
>>1669621
>>1669625
In my defense, Stumpjumpers were highly sought after in the 80's and 90's and were all hand-made frames and forks, XT or top-of-the-line Suntour components with prices well above $2500 in the 80's and $3000 to $4,000 in the early 90's. A lot of people were priced out; myself included because I was a little kid with a paper route. Frankly, there are going to be tire kickers and cultists for just about any respectable name out there, in any industry- pick one you will find your autists. Early Specialized is right up there with Ritchey frames and the other dudes who there at that time in history.

I'll likely call the guy today and attempt a reconcile, maybe make the drive out there tomorrow if that works out, but I do that knowing I will de-bastardize that frame and redo the components as original as possible, less the seat, grips and tires. If he tells me to suck his cock, no hard feelings on my part and the search continues for one pre-1987.

I appreciate all of your advice irrespective of negative or positive. Thanks bros.
>>
File: tropicana.jpg (55 KB, 633x536)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>1669642
>as original as possible
i dislike this ethos as much as i dislike people who feel compelled to 1x 12spd sram black components or new campy build everything they buy
>>
>>1669625
Yeah but I’m saying in the last 40 years they’ve been in the public, and remember bikes don’t die they just get cheaper and cheaper until they’re donated to go hobos or the guy you saw, what percentage of the owners population you think sees it as a vintage relic that should be remembered and preserved, and what percentage sees it as a 40 year old crap bike that has probably taken a dozen different dui offenders to the liquor store
When people think vintage preservationist bikes they’re not thinking of one the most common and mass produced bikes in history
Also I might be biased because personally, fuck original spec old bikes, Id rather be riding a rigid stumpjumper with NX eagle, carbon fork and hydraulic rim crushers than care about such a common bike just because it was discontinued. If you want original spec you better keep it in a museum because if you actually ride it, it cant stay stock forever
>>
>>1669639
Yeah yeah go report me and the one single guy following me won’t have to see my shame
By the way, trailforks, the superior app, detects chairlifts and removes them from your stats
>>
>>1669642
That’s great but 99.99% of current rigid stumpjumper owners don’t know or care about the prestige, they see a bicycle, a 40 year old bicycle. If they want to put new parts on that make it into a significantly better bicycle, they’re gonna do it, it’s a logical thing to do.
I mean shit a top spec dentist grade stumpjumper from 2005 will sell for under $1000 today because new stumpjumpers are better in every conceivable way at a lower price with cheaper newer components, you really think the friction shifters and 26” wheel special is gonna hold even a fraction of the original value when you can buy a better more capable bike? 90’s rigid bikes are meant to be abused, meant to be fitted with cheap Chinese parts that make them literally twice as good for $50, and after 40 years, meant to fill the role as a bike that has ultimately depreciated to hobo donation status
>>
>>1669652
>fuck original spec old bikes
there is a dreaded look on classic bike builds and that's 'trying too hard'. That doesn't mean that effortless looking builds are effortless. Often it's the opposite. Or that components which look somewhat appropriate on an old frame are actually period correct or complete.
There's a middleground

take pic related. This is a collector-tier classic bike, columbus SL, an actual race bike.
Only the crank and the FD, and the top part of the headset are correct or original because I bought it like that. I had zero interest in sourcing campag for it.
The saddle, pedals, and stem are comfortable fit items, I don't care how wrong they are. The dual pivot 105 shimano brakes are wrong, I even had period campag I could have put on, but those just work better. The other parts are wrong too, but somewhat period, somewhat right. The headset repair with a modern cane creek lower I had spare, I don't mind it.

It's not 'original' at all, it's just practical, and it looks kind of right. Things are changed that warrant changing and not that don't. I think I like this bike more than if it was a period correct restoration, or a $$ modern build with 11spd chorus or ultegra or whatever.
>>
File: DSC03999 (Custom).jpg (1.33 MB, 4000x2667)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
>>1669663
>>
>>1669659
>That’s great but 99.99% of current rigid stumpjumper owners don’t know or care about the prestige, they see a bicycle, a 40 year old bicycle.

That's complete bullshit. People often just ride rigids but not top of the line ones. People who ride those know it. Everything in your post is wrong. High-spec steel rigid bikes from that era are uniquely good because mainstream high spec steel rigid bikes stopped being produced. The only modern equivalents are boutique bikes. MTBs got insanely better but bikes like classic stumpies aren't really even mtbs.

And classic XT is incomparable. For what it is, it's better than literally anything else.
>>
File: [tilting increases].png (27 KB, 500x500)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>1669666
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDKfthpdML0
>>
>>1669683
>>
File: stumpjumper team.jpg (203 KB, 1024x681)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>>1669659
I see what you're saying anon, but think you're wrong in the sense that yes, bikes clearly lose their value rather quickly and yes, 26" wheels and friction shifters will first fully depreciate, then increase in value as people look to repair, replace or build bikes they consider vintage. Find me a complete XT dear head group set that isn't worn to shit or for that matter NOS XTR M950 chainrings that cost less than $500 or early 90's Ritchey 26" OCR WCS wheels....and your friction shifters...anything Campagnolo you will pay out the ass for.

There are people in your camp and there are people in my camp and there are people in other camps. More people tend to want to buy a bike that is as close to original as possible rather than buy someones basket case 'custom build bro'. Frankly, if you want to spend $8,000 to $12,000 on a new carbon Stumpjumper with carbon this and that and that was made in China you are obviously free to do so; your money. I personally do not find value in such purchases and would rather some rich fag who is money stupid make the purchase for me and pick up the bike after some depreciation. Plus, I think HAND MADE old steel frames are bad ass anyhow.

Pic related, if I ever found one for sale and complete I would spend whatever it takes to have one.
>>
Are the "endurance" bikes really that much more comfortable than the "race" bikec? For example, looking at TCR vs Defy the TCR is half a kilo lighter than Defy with the same components at the same price. TCR also comes with rim brake option which is even cheaper and lighter. Do you really need some better than average flexibility to ride TCR comfortably or can you just make it "comfortable" with the right fit?
>>
>>1669943
"race" bikes are the real road bikes, they're fine for most people. "endurance" is for boomers. younger people end up hating the long head tube. the pros even size down the race bikes to get even lower.
>>
File: you.png (252 KB, 649x707)
252 KB
252 KB PNG
>>1669638
>you ride old and slow unracer neckbeard bikes which are impractical to service like with square taper cranks and cup and cone bearings while being an armchair expert shitting on fixed gear bikes for not being faster than $10000 road race bikes in your contrived scenario with steep climbs and descents even though this is not a race
you have nothing better to than lurk /n/ all day picking fights with people to maintain your sense of superiority while being a boomer who scalps bikes on cragslist to make a few dozen bucks here and there
>>
Do I buy this?
>>
>>1670027
ye
>>
Hello I'm a complete newbie. There's a park by my house with a bunch of sick looking trails so I want to get a mountain bike and fuck around on them.

>https://nh.craigslist.org
>height 5'7"
>budget - the shops in my area seem to be selling new entry level mtn bikes for ~$500 so wouldn't want to spend more than that on a used bike

My dad's really into mtn biking and he recommended to get a hardtail. These are two listing that seem to be close to what I want:
>https://nh.craigslist.org/bik/d/lee-cannondale-catalyst-mountain-bike/7337553907.html
>https://nh.craigslist.org/bik/d/canaan-mountain-bike-by-denali-pacific/7336825641.html
The second one seems like a little too good of a deal
>>
>>1670039
Also I'm right on the MA border so I'm going to look at https://boston.craigslist.org/ as well
>>
>>1670027
you can fit 38's on the 2021 Defy, and it the advanced 1 comes with ultegra RD with a clutch and tubeless 32's stock. if you're doing lighter gravel and more road, i'd get the defy instead.

in fact, I did get the defy instead...
>>
>>1670101
>don't buy that buy this other one that costs $1200 more with a full Shimano Consoom groupset and can't fit nearly as wide of tires and only comes in godawful colors and oh by the way I just happen to own
>>
>>1669688
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORQacAmVHBA
>>
>>1670133
>grabble bike
>>
>>1670027
Looks nice, make sure the fork has outside bosses for front rack
>>
>>1665290
6'1 350lb looking for a decent bike under a couple hundred bucks. Not really sure what to look for, can any anons give me some advice https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/ this is close to me, the ones on the northern WI page would probably be in commute distance as well
>>
Figure I’d try once more, the one bike that most of you suggested the seller is not replying back so I’ll post my Craigslist again. I'm 6'5 and about 340 lbs, budget is about a couple hundred dollars. https://scranton.craigslist.org/
>>
>>1670377
this one
>>
>>1670373
https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/bik/d/eau-claire-schwinn-mountain-bike-26-inch/7304955175.html
>>
File: IMG-4602.jpg (1.64 MB, 3630x2361)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>1670031
>>1670101
>>1670365
Thx hope I like it
>>
>>1670509
I bet you end up loving it
>>
>>1670509
love that color
>>
>>1670438
Yep that’s the one I was talking about, for whatever reason the guy won’t get back to me
>>
>>1670575
That sucks, but you probably dodged a bullet, dude's a flake.
>>
>>1670509
ye
>>
>>1670615
Hm maybe but it’s screwing me since it’s the only bike up there, I’d rather deal with a flake
>>
File: 1609016660909.png (1.31 MB, 600x800)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB PNG
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/warragul/men-s-bicycles/mongoose-maurice-road-bike-fixie-if-you-want-it/1274764514

Is this serviceable? Want a cheap fixed gear bike to commute about on cause I just moved to a ridiculously flat town. Looking for something I won't have to really worry about keeping unlocked too much (it's a very safe town but if I wanna nip into a shop with no railings outside I worry about my current bike) and I should be able to get the price down to AU$150 at least
>>
>>1670976
Looks fine to me but I'd put that brake to the front instead since you already have a brake in your legs
Actually I would convert it to coaster brake
>>
>>1671115
>Actually I would convert it to coaster brake
have you actually ridden a coaster brake bike or do you just like the fantasy of it? it's awkward since you can't backpedal to reposition the crank arms, it adds weight and the performance is poor even if you keep up with the maintenance
>>
>>1671198
Yes, I did. For an all flat town running errands bike it would be a good choice. Of course you need to think ahead a bit and abandon the gotta-go-fast mentality, results in a kind of laid back leisure type of cycling, with bags of groceries
>>
Topstone 4 Alloy? $1250

Has Microshift drivetrain, Advent X which seems to have good reviews online.

Good deal or should I wait for something else?
>>
>>1671299
try to come up with more money or look at road bikes instead
>>
>>1671299
I got the Topstone 3 Alloy because that Microshift is ass and I'm a sucker for Shimano.
How much hills and climbs do you have around? Might be needing a 2x drivetrain for better range.
Anyways it is a good bike regardless, and something you have available is infinitely better than something that is just a brochure.
>>
>>1671229
>>1671115
Legally required to have one brake at least in Aus so I'd probably just sling it on the front
>>
Bong here

Can't find a QR 700c rear wheel for a 5-speed screw-on freewheel anywhere. There's a bunch of tru-build and raleigh front wheels and some bolt on rears but no QR rears. Any ideas? Is this cos of the covid shortage?
>>
>>1671813
Looks too specific, ask your LBS for help
>bong
Welp, you are fucked then.
>>
Looking for steel frame bike that would be good for monstercross type rides and bikepacking/touring type things. Mid range groupo and decent wheels. Looking to spend around $2k. Would also consider frame only around $1k.
>>
my bike shop owner is trying to convince me to buy a single speed? am I being hustled?
>>
>>1672267
Do you live in an insanely flat area? Are you planning on using your bike purely for trips to the shop or to work 10 minutes away? Then a single speed is alright, reduced wear, less to go wrong, slightly nicer response.

If you plan on going anywhere near a fucking hill in the next decade? Then yes, you're being hustled. If you like the idea of low maintenance, consider internal hub gears and a chain guard.
>>
>>1672270
That's what I figured, particularly since I like to bike around the city for fun.
>>
>>1672267
maybe your budget is too low or you're too casual, a cheap singlespeed can be better than a cheap geared bike. but the big brands like trek and cannondale usually only make geared bikes these days so if you can afford like a $1000+ road bike then that'd be nicer than any prebuilt singlespeed bike.
>>
>>1672441
We didn't discuss my budget, but I would be fine spending ~$200 on a bike. $1k is def out of my price range though.
>>
>>1668735
How effective is this for lawn mowing
>>
File: Northrock_XC00.jpg (109 KB, 680x680)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
Thinking of investing in a bike for winter time. Where I live its common to be a mix of ice and snow from Oct-Nov and then snow from Dec-Apr. Costco has these Northrock XC00 Fat Tire bikes in the fall for ~$500CAD.
I'm wondering if it would be worth investing in one of these or buying a second hand mountain bike and putting studded tires on it.

https://www.costco.com/northrock-xc00-fat-tire-bike.product.100467336.html

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.