[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 104 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ig_cycle_1.jpg (46 KB, 640x640)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>but I don't wanna buy a bike computer, it's too expensive!
>*straps a $1000 phone to the bike, rapes the non-removable battery in 2 weeks of riding*
>crashes, destroys the phone
Why do people do this?
>>
Only in your head do they do this
>>
>>1665028
https://www.jensonusa.com/search?q=phone+mount
>>
>>1665027
It's a 300$ phone in my case and the phone battery didn't take any damage from this in the years I've been doing it.

>rather buy dedicated bit of kit with weaker functionality than a smartphone that you are carrying anyways
just don't crash and learn how to cycle
>>
>>1665028
I know more people with phones strapped to their stem than people with bike computers

It didn't used to be this way
>>
>>1665032
>t with weaker functionality
ok enjoy your 0% battery left after 90 minutes in the saddle, dumbass
>>
File: f3formmount-4.jpg (62 KB, 970x647)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
So yesterday I saw a girl who had strapped her phone to her handlebars with elastic bands. Normies...when will they learn.

I'm considering buying the F3 FormMount for my wahoo bolt. It looks nice.
>>
>>1665041
that looks cool but how are you going to torque those bolts properly with the mount in the way?
>>
>>1665035
I've ridden 2-3 hours with more than 50% left. I can turn the screen off temporarely, when theres nothing to navigate.
When your smartphone batterie dies too quick it's time to replace that old shit smartphone with a new model.
>dumbass
I'm stunned by the creativity of that insult
>>
>>1665046
why even bother having your phone on your bars if you have to turn the screen off most of the time?
>>
>>1665047
Just as a measure to save battery when going without turns for a long time. I mostly never do it
>>
>>1665027
you just made up a person to be mad at and then made a thread
>>
>>1665105
/thread
>>
File: Capture.jpg (13 KB, 379x301)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>1665042
>>
>>1665027
>rapes the non-removable battery in 2 weeks of riding
yeah nah
>>
Why would you need your phone on constantly anyways? I use a phone as a map when riding, but I just keep it in a jersey pocket and only look at it every so often to check my location and plan my next turns.
>>
>>1665041
>I saw a girl who had strapped her phone to her handlebars
I hate women so much brothers. Inshallah they will learn
>>
Why would you have either a phone or a computer strapped to your bike? What kind of consoomer hellscape are we actually fucking in?
>>
File: sppedlimit.jpg (68 KB, 200x266)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1665119
So you don't get a ticket
>>
>>1665119
to know where you are going
>>
>>1665035
>ok enjoy your 0% battery left after 90 minutes in the saddle, dumbass
The heaviest coping I've seen in a while.
>>
why would riding with your phone damage the battery? what?
>>
>>1665119
People can't live without their fancy electronic gizmos.
>>1665133
>I'm to dumb to know how fast I'm going without looking at approximated GPS digits
Imagine getting a speeding ticket on a bike, this has to come from Bongland or something.
>>1665164
pic related is all anyone with basic reading ability should ever need
>>
>>1665273
>pic related is all anyone with basic reading ability should ever need
good
>>
File: 100IQGPS.png (176 KB, 460x290)
176 KB
176 KB PNG
>>1665275
Fuck I'm dumb, meant this image.
>>
>>1665027
Better yet, why do faggots insist on riding in all black with a black bike on roads with 3000 lb + objects moving at fast rates of speed?
>>
>>1665042
I see a whole 180º available to do it with a regular allen, in both sides.
>>
>>1665283
No
It takes too much space
>>
>>1665286
Because if I bought a hi-viz yellow frame you still would blame me for my own death, and if I just want to make sure the people who aren't texting can see me, I have lights for that.

Why do cars have black paint?
>>
>>1665283
yeah i have one of those in my phone
and it's automatized
>>
>>1665283
Paper map isn't any better (or worse) than a phone map. It's satnav that separates the humans from the nigger cattle.
>>
>>1665046
>>1665104
>with weaker functionality
Imagine thinking dedicated bike computers have weaker functionality when you have to turn off your screen on the phone so it doesn't die. Last weekend I had my head unit on for 14 hours with the screen on and GPS on, the battery is at 50% after that.
>>
File: what-year-is-it.jpg (64 KB, 666x570)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>1665283
When have you had an actual map in your hands? ever heard of google maps?
>>
>>1665133
where the fuck is this, and how can it reasonably be enforced when bicycles aren't routinely equipped with speedometers?
Also if that's 15km/h, literally your grandma can go that speed on the flat very easily without even realising it. 15mph, that's really very fast (assuming this is an awful MUP type thing) and it should be lower.
>>
>>1665590
>Last weekend I had my head unit on for 14 hours with the screen on and GPS on, the battery is at 50% after that.
But my phone can't do that, therefore you don't need that. No one needs that. They don't have that in Amsterdam. This is NOT a race!
>>
>>1665610
>When have you had an actual map in your hands?
last summer
paper maps work better when you are hiking in mountains of bumfucknowhere
they don't require batteries or signal
>>
>>1665610
Paper maps are superior to jewgle maps for basically the same reasons paper books are superior to ebooks.

OTOH internet maps are free and cater to retards who just want to be led around by the nose instead of doing any navigating (or other forms of thinking) so they're extremely popular.
>>
File: 1426534299793.jpg (28 KB, 340x399)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>1665672
t.
>>
>>1665678
t. has never used a paper map

There are places for jewgle maps, like when you're driving a car on an unknown city and have the address where you want to go. Or just want to see the closest restaurants. But planning routes in an area you're familiar with paper maps are vastly superior. The zooming and panning work a lot smoother on paper than on screen. Also superior when you're hiking because they don't need batteries. Though it's still a good idea to have a GPS device with you.
>>
>>1665027
Cheap, superlight and aero as fuck, battery lasts a year at least
>>
>>1665736
Cute as fuck. If I had known this existed I probably wouldn't have bought my expensive Wahoo but all the basic units I found were butt ugly so I figured might as well get something that has features if I'm getting something butt ugly
>>
>>1665688
Which reminds me, I wonder if they still haven't implemented a paper map navigation mode in ETS2/ATS
>>
>>1665027
>>1665035
Most phones hold well over 4000mAh and charge from 0-usable in like 15 minutes these days. A bike app uses no more juice than you'd use while driving without a charger or communiting (probably a lot less usage than commuting). You can get cases that can easily survive a heavy impact, or you could just not be a retard and don't fall off your bike.
>>
The element bolt v2 is now on the market, it's basically a mini Roam. Unlike the original bolt, it will re-route you if you go off track and it has a colour screen.
>>
>>1665041
>So yesterday I saw a girl who had strapped her phone to her handlebars with elastic bands

Imagine being annoyed by that. Imagine posting on a Burmese cartoon board about it.
>>
>>1666196
I wasn't annoyed, you are the only person who is annoyed. Why write anything at all if you literally have nothing relevant to contribute? Also, take your meds.
>>
>>1666200
>take your meds.
Why is it that every post you make is obnoxious and pointless. Please get a trip so I can filter you
>>
>>1665736
>caring about aero but not cadence
yikes

>>1666189
>wahoo
>impossible to set up without a kikephone
omegayikes
>>
>>1665688
>planning routes in an area you're familiar with
You need a map to get around your own town? Your posts make a lot more sense now.
>>
>>1666210
not him but if you're tracking rides in areas where the GPS accuracy is questionable (like mountain routes where there can be two parallel roads with minimal horizontal separation but significant vertical separation), pre-loading a route helps the head unit track more accurately if it starts to go off track momentarily
>>
>>1666203
I can't say anything anything nice about you because you contribute nothing. At least I tell stories/post pictures/try to help people. This is an image posting board, not an echo chamber for your mental illness.
>>
>>1666213
you don't even know who I am because I don't use catchphrases to "sign" my posts like a /b/tard. why don't you pedal as hard as you can and ride off that cliff into the sea
>>
>>1665046
Shilling this hard for planned obsolescence
>>
>>1666214
No, I do know you. You are THAT guy who never has anybody nice to say, hates everybody and is triggered by everything.

Meds, now take them you must.
>>
>>1666219
maybe if you weren't such a belligerent judgmental douche over every single topic, you wouldn't have this problem of "THAT" guy being everyone you interact with online. now hurry up and ride off that cliff, the afterlife is waiting!
>>
>>1666210
t. taxidriver

Do you know all the streets and roads in and around your city by heart? Even all the small trails and gravel roads? Looking at a map it's easy to see the possible routes you could take plan possible rides. Or what's the fastest way to get somewhere.

Or even in area you don't know that well. Much easier to use a paper map to see the possibilities than trying to zoom and pan on a digital map. For navigating the route having a GPS device helps a ton, but for route planning paper maps are a lot better if you're not just concerned about the fastest route.
>>
File: 360334_9890_L2.jpg (155 KB, 830x553)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>1666220
who hurt you anon? why are you seething so hard? i'm going to drop a truth nugget that may help you, but probably won't because you are just too full of hate. YOU are responsible for your own feelings... Also, don't forget to take your meds.
>>
File: 4e1.png (42 KB, 256x256)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>1666224
>who hurt you
>>
>>1666226
ok anon. today is my free day so i'm going on a bike ride. Godspeed and don't forget to take your meds.
>>
>>1666242
Don't forget to ride off that cliff
>>
>>1666246
Meds
>>
>>1666248
Cliff
>>
>>1666224
>>1666226
>>1666242
>>1666246
>>1666248
>>1666250
just fuck already
>>
>>1666353
Third party here. All I know is: zish should be fed to a shark. Then, the downtuber guy(s) and the aggressive "I'll win the argument by leaving the final reply" guy(s) need to be deserted on a Pacific island.
>>
What about passive-aggressive "I'm replying to one person's posts in particular but I won't quote any posts so that person will look crazy if they reply to me" guy?
>>
>>1666406
That's indicative of believing (You)s are akin to upvotes and those posters should be laughed at momentarily then ignored.
>>
File: ass.jpg (83 KB, 450x600)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1666406
>the ol' don't @ me guy
>>
>>1666353
I don't know, seems kind of gay to me
>>
>>1665035
Typical apple users manyamir
>>
>>1665104
>>1665047
>>1665046
>Not using the framebag to house a miniature power pack that charges the thing up constantly for 10 hours.

Do you racer types lack common sense, or is it too much weight for you? I've done that for years with my tablet and my action cam. It literally lasts all day with no problems.
>>
>>1666189
Bolt was perfect device, but v2 is awesome
>>
File: soyreddit.png (35 KB, 256x248)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>1666226
>Posting basedjaks when someone shows you some concern
>Posting basedjaks at all.
>Talking with near indecipherable images that could mean anything
>including your reaction
>>
>>1665034
Phone does it all. You can stop and text, listen to music, do the strava and even pop it off to call someone. My old xz2 is perfectly fine as a computer and if it gets busted it didn't cost that much.
>>
File: muh soy.jpg (16 KB, 256x248)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>1666493
>>1666226
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
>>
>>1665027
What GPS head unit has a battery with more replacement support than an iPhone?
>>
>>1666581
Battery life is a complete non issue. It's highly unlikely that you cycle so much that it would be an issue. And if you cycled so much that it would be an issue (which I highly doubt), otherwise you wouldn't be asking such a stupid question.

Just get a wahoo bolt or some shit like the rest of us, it has like 16 hours of battery life and after 5 years of heavy use, maybe you will only get 10 hours out of it on a single charge. And by then, you can just buy a newer model.
>>
File: 1574357977789.jpg (8 KB, 124x109)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
a bike what?
>>
>>1666490
Enjoy your toasted battery
>>
>>1665035
>ride 10+ hrs with music, maps and strava
>shit around during lunch and dinner
Still 30%+, many such cases
>>
>>1666844
hell, the bolt is getting updated this year so you can choose between getting a newer model or a discounted older model
>>
So the bolt has a "take me to..." function. You just type in the address of the location you want to go (on your phone) and it will automatically create a breadcrumb route for you (without the turn by turn directions). So today I went on a ride with some friends in another town. Our meeting location was 26km away. The route that my bolt created using the "take me to" function was fucking shit, I should of just created a route using komoot or ridewithgps but I was too lazy. The route lead me though like 2km worth of really bumpy cobbled streets, mtb trails in the forest and at some point, it wanted me to ride along the railways tracks.

That being said, the "bring me to...function" is completely shit, but it is excellent at bringing you home when you are in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>1670011
The phone you always have does the same thing, better actually.
>>
>>1670016
admittedly yes, I just typed the location in google maps and the route it created for me is a lot simpler and makes a lot more sense, even though its 2km longer. The google maps algorithm is excellent. I still would never use my phone for navigating on a bicycle because it drains the battery very quickly. The wahoo bolt battery lasts like 15 hours.
>>
>>1670022
1. get a better phone or a new battery
2. turn off the screen when you're not navigating
3. turn the GPS updating time down to like15 - 20 seconds instead of 1 or 3 in the settings of whatever app you're using
>>
>>1670032
No, why the hell should I get a new phone when I literally have a bike computer that does everything I want. I also don't need a new phone. When it rains or your hands are sweaty, the touchscreen doesn't work.

The "take me now" function of the wahoo bolt is shit, but the navigation is excellent if you use a route you create your self.

You are aware that a bike computer does more than navigating? The interface of the wahoo bolt is excellent. You can select which date fields are on the screen.. e.g. watts, heartrate, cadence, elapsed time, km, gradient, elevation...etc.. It's also good for doing sets of intervals.

I carry my phone in my jersey pocket, when I recieve a message, the message appears on the screen of my bicycle computer, when somebody calls me, my bicycle computer rings.
>>
Modern phones are mini computers, way better hardware.

Problem is the software.
>>
>>1670100
No, the problem is the hardware. It's like using a frying pan to make coffee. Something that is good at A, B, C, D, and E is not necessarily good at X, Y, and Z and more than likely sucks at those things because it wasn't specifically designed for it
>>
>>1670051
>reddit guy BTFO
>>
File: 978978.gif (1.17 MB, 480x212)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB GIF
>>1665614
>and how can it reasonably be enforced when bicycles aren't routinely equipped with speedometers?
>>
>>1670103
Nope

Software and optimizing you low IQ pleb.
>>
>>1670114
what does this even mean?
>>
>>1670176
Nope. Science you anti-vax flat earther.
>>
>>
>>1665027
>creates imaginary scenario in which he is "right"
Why do people do this?
>>
>>1670257
Nah it's shit
>>
File: you.png (57 KB, 847x673)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>1670230
>what does this even mean?
>>
>>1670313
You make absolutely no sense bro. It was a valid question, how autistic are you? I understand that you are barely able to communicate in full sentences and that you are unable to experience empathy, but you do realise other people can't read your mind right?
>>
>>1670285
yeah but it protects your phone from getting wet and it even has space for one of those portable USB charger things. A phone is way better than a stupid bike computer.
>>
>>1670326
I'd rather have independent stuff.
>>
File: yout.jpg (8 KB, 250x250)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1670322
>You make absolutely no sense bro. It was a valid question, how autistic are you? I understand that you are barely able to communicate in full sentences and that you are unable to experience empathy, but you do realise other people can't read your mind right?
>>
>>1670367
low test post
>>
File: t.jpg (48 KB, 499x430)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>1670369
>low test post
>t.
>>
Before of even thinking of getting a bike computer, I want to get a power meter first.

The app "Urban Biker" is decent enough for a smartphone, you can customize data fields, and it can connect to HR sensor and power meter sensor, while also offering offline navigation.
>>
>>1670481
>before getting a 100€ piece of equipment I want to get a 1000€ set of pedals
They're not even remotely in the same commitment bracket
>>
>>1670482
>shitty bike comp vs premium top end power meter

Nice argument.
Nope

Bike comp is very low on the priority list. And a power meter comes way before that.

That's a good investment. Bike comp is only good if you do longer daily rides like on a tour.
Otherwise bike comp can wait, wait and wait.
>>
>>1670527
>power meter
>good investment for casual riding
LMAO
>>
>>1670455
Look at his skeletal dimorphism, huge jaw and brow, pronounced nose, uneraseable stubble and full, wide lips. Even has broad shoulders as a skinny dude. This guy is higher test than you.
>>
>>1670540
>strangely gay response
>>
>>1670367
well I guess you win this "argument" champ.
>>
>>1665027
I got an Edge 130 and it's great.
>>
>>1670557
Gays have refined spotting ideal male dimorphism to an art, the normals should learn from them
>>
https://youtu.be/GjeEMZSrPsI

So GCN did a video on phone vs bike computer.
Their conclusion: bike computers are optimal if you are a Racer™. But if you are a normie who never rides more than 5km, phone will do.
>>
whatever bro #yolo
>>
>>1671158
What if I'm a fucin casul that likes riding ~20k a day
>>
>>1671158
why do you even need anything if you're not riding more than 5km? you can just walk
>>
>>1671158
What do I need the phone for if I only ride 5 km?
>>
>>1671182
>>1671181
I guess the assumption is that you're carrying your phone regardless
>>
>>1669964
they released Bolt v2 right after i bought a roam.

Still love the roam. Bike comp is probably the best accessory I've bought for my bike, has helped me improve tremendously.
>>
>>1665035
The only battery I know of that’s that bad is the Nintendo Switch
>>
I am looking for bike GPS that does standalone navigation. The racing features are OK, but not priority. Basically I am looking for unit that would help me find my way if I am lost in unfamiliar place with dead phone. Is Garmin 830 my only option at that price range? Wahoo roam and others seem to be focused mostly on racing, strava etc, but they seem to be lacking behind in the navigation department from Garmin.
>>
>>1674746
if you leave your phone in your pocket instead of trying to use it as a bike computer you'll probably find that you can ride all day and barely see any change in battery life
>>
>>1665283
>fellas wait for me "unwraps his 1x1m map and looking for his location for 10 minutes"
>>
>>1665303
That's the color people get when they want to be criminals. Black paint + super dark illegal window tint. Most cars I see are blue, white or red.
>>
Because bike computers are closed ecosystems. I want to use whatever apps and maps I want, not the ones provided by whatever a bike computer manufacturer thinks are useful.
>>
>>1665027
>he has anything other than light and bell on his bars
shiggy diggy
>>
Hard to justify a bike computer, when a second cheap phone can be bought on Aliexpress for $100. Now you have a 2nd navigation option, and a backup phone device when touring.
>>
>>1676529
You'll need a second contract though.
>>
>>1676529
you can just use your old phone, or buy a used one
>>1676536
just swap the sim card between the phones
>>
>>1676538
Or, I turn on my Garmin, hit record and don't bother fiddling with minuscule cards.
>>
>>1676543
Record what exactly? I use my phone for navigation, not timekeeping.
>>
>>1676545
I can use it for that as well
>>
It is true that GPS with the screen active drains the battery, but practicaly speaking most cycle journeys (1) consist of few major turns (2) the route can be committed to memory after it's been completed once. Bike computers do have a use for athletic purposes or people who have a ton of fresh destinations during the day. IMHO for touring especially overseas, the option of a second telephone in case of theft/tech failure, is superior to a Garmin/Wahoo.
>>
>>1676554
You can recieve audio directions from your phone as well.
>>
>>1676554
>after it's been completed once
You've already run out of routes and are repeating them?
>>
>>1676560
Everyone is different, if I was a courier or athletic road cyclist I would want a dedicated computer. I cycle recreationally on local known circular routes and occasionally tour, so for me I prefer phone + backup phone if overseas.
>>
>>1676543
your garmin costs more than most bikes, an old phone is free and has a ton of value still in it
and it's not even bike industry problem this time around, garmin are notorious cuntholes with monopolistic tendencies in everything they branch into, they literally make most of their bank by selling cheap tablets to planefags for 20x the price because they bribed out flight certification for them
>>
>>1676652
Not him but my Garmin cost $130 haha
>>
>>1676652
>waah I don't wanna buy a bike computer because I hate garmin!
you know there are at least two, possibly as many as three brands of companies that make bike computers, riiiiiight?
>>
>>1676656
my current bike cost me ~$120 plus a raid on my parts bin
>>1676657
he said specifically garmin, garms are overpriced to hell and back
not that the rest of them aren't equal parts luxury and novelty, navigation is a very worthwhile skill to have
>>
>>1676659
walking is a good skill to have too, and yet you're cheating with that fancy two wheeler of yours. why not do things the right way instead of the easy way, young whippersnapper
>>
>>1676659
Cool dumpster bike bro
>>
>>1676668
bicycle is a more efficient way to use muscle power and is therefore fundamentally superior to walking
navigator is a replacement for your own skills and is therefore just a luxury, luxuries can be omitted
>>
>>1665027
I do this to navigate to my destination when cycling somewhere in my city. Don't be a schizo.
>>
File: 1618517749885.jpg (705 KB, 3000x3000)
705 KB
705 KB JPG
i have this + strava on my phone in my bag
bomboclaat
>>
>>1676370
>not looking up the directions before hand
>not having a general idea of where shit is in your city
>>
>>1681513
>>not having a general idea of where shit is in your city
This is why you ride.
>>
>>1676823
My own skills don't have a relatively faithful map of places I haven't been
>>
>>1681696
I think anon is a zoomer who thinks it's impressive that he can, in theory, get around unfamiliar areas without a smart phone, because he doesn't understand that's what billions of people did until they found a more convenient way to do it with literally no drawbacks
>>
>>1681720
I'd give him a paper map and a compass, to see if he knows how to use them
>>
Just ordered a Kingkong Cubit Mini from Aliexpress as a backup phone/GPS device, costs around $100
>>
>>1665669
this
>>
>>1666196
t. Burmese
>>
>have older, small phone just for biking shenanigans
>have my actual phone set up to forward calls on bike phone when turned off
>turn off daily phone whn going riding
>have ALL benefits of phone, dont care about it breaking
>oled screen + dark themes make it last 10-12 hrs of constant use

sometimes I wonder how you faggots put shoes on in the morning
>>
>>1676823
Efficiency is a luxury. Luxuries can be omitted.
>>
>>1680727
No one cares.
>>
>>1665736
Came here to post this
>>
>>1669814
that's not how it works.
>>
>>1682654
>have ALL benefits of phone, dont care about it breaking
if it breaks you have to buy a new one

bike computers don't break because they aren't made of glass that suicides from a 3 foot drop

also you are not getting 10-12 hours of use out of that thing, you've never even been on a bike ride longer than 4 hours
>>
>>1682768
>if it breaks you have to buy a new one
Same with any device. Your point?

>bike computers don't break because they aren't made of glass that suicides from a 3 foot drop
They do break, just like any other crap. Anyway for it to happen you need to crash or it needs to fall off your bike. In event of crash I'm more worried about 1. myself and 2. bike. All else is of little value. And I have never have phone fall off a mount.

>also you are not getting 10-12 hours of use out of that thing, you've never even been on a bike ride longer than 4 hours
Yeah keep projecting, I just finished my 4-day 520km trip 2 days ago
>>
>>1682898
>Same with any device. Your point?
no, different devices may or may not break under the same conditions
>They do break, just like any other crap.
t. buys nothing but crap
>Anyway for it to happen you need to crash or it needs to fall off your bike.
which it will, since phones are heavy and not designed for mounting
>In event of crash I'm more worried about
you know how I can tell neither your bike nor you have any value? that's right, because you ride with a phone for a bike computer like a hobo living under a bridge
>Yeah keep projecting, I just finished my 4-day 520km trip 2 days ago
oh yeah? well I just finished my 3 day, 700 mile trip that I do every 2 days
>>
>>1682928
Cool how you avoided the fact that I have had nothing happen to my phone.

Keep seething, friend, and enjoy your computer on your epic trips :^)
>>
>>1671163
This guy knows what's up. Everyone with a little sense in them knows that a dedicated bike computer with gps is superior to a phone.
That said, Having a phone at the ready can be super useful for things that a bike computer can't do, like music, calls/messages, searching and navigating to restaurants/shops/sights.
There's no need to choose and argue. Just go with what you like.
>>
I just use my indestructible old phone that's small as a bike computer but with all the extra usability
>>
>>1683642
My nugga
>>
>>1674746
Garmin Edge Explore
>>
>>1665027
Unrelated but my only way of transportation is a shitty cyclist bike. I have a question, how do I cycle hill without getting tiered? Fucking hills make me hate cycling.
>>
>>1685097
a) get fit
b) lower gears
c) ebike
d) move elsewhere
e) all of the above
>>
>>1685098
>get fit
working on it
>lower gears
if I go slower i'm gonna fall of the bike
>ebike
I can't afford it
>move elsewhere
cant

So nothing I can do it seems...
>>
>>1685097
>a shitty cyclist bike
as opposed to what, a pedestrian bike? a motorist bike? a hovercraft bike?
>>
Holy shit I expected a thread about cycle computers not this shitpost extravaganza.
>>
File: index.jpg (5 KB, 276x183)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>1685099
>working on it
>nothing I can do
Anon...

>if I go slower i'm gonna fall of the bike
Pedal faster to maintain speed. That's what lower gears are for.
Also learn some bike balance. Or get a trike.
>>
>>1665041
>those scuffs and dings in the black finish, especially on that bolt
pointless thread but thanks for affirming my decision to go with neutral colored titanium bolts, anons are so full of shit that the black finish won't end up looking like shit, i have found that paint pens (not the same thing as permanent markers) work decently for minor touchups but i would rather avoid a black finish on things like bolts as well as things that can easily be carbon instead of aluminium, especially glossy 3K carbon looks good in real life in my opinion especially if you take the time to sand and machine polish it, it apparently costs almost $50k just to switch from matte to glossy carbon interior on the mclaren senna according to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrpTzKAO1ek (5 minutes in)
>>
>>1688468
>not expecting shitpost extravaganza
You must be new here. Welcome to 4chan and /n/.
>>
I do this with my Oneplus 3T.

So far so good, I don't mind it eventually dying, have thought of replacing it eventually anyways.

>he doesn't have a spare smartphone anno 2021
>>
>>1688933
yeah I wanted a cheap speed speedometer with cadence indicator. I want to avoid pedalling too slow since I started but also avoid to waste energy pedalling too fast were its not necessary.
Anyone knows any model that match the requirement?
>>
>>1674851
that would be too sensible for /n/
>>
>>1665672
how is a paper map going to tell me my average speed?
>>
>>1694058
math is hard I know
>>
File: squiggle4.png (38 KB, 722x319)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>1694313
ok, using your head only, calculate the length of this line, poindexter. the start and finish are exactly 20km apart as the crow flies
>>
>>1689077
Look for ant+ sensors and the cheapest piece of shit computer with ant+ compatibility
Or you can go full autism and diy one with a raspberry or similar shit
>>
>>1694385
thanks, sadly it's still a bit out of budget for me so Ill stick to put a song with right BPM and try to follow the rythm.
>>
>>1694412
The whole thing would be around 110€, if you're taking your cycling more seriously than most that's barely a year worth of worn-out parts.
>>
>>1694431
For the moment I'm doing it for fitness and keep depression at bay. But if I'll get more seriously into it, I might get a proper road bike and all the fancy gadgets next year.
>>
File: Si.jpg (335 KB, 900x900)
335 KB
335 KB JPG
>>1670257
But bro come on, it's not even aero..
>>
File: pic.png (1.58 MB, 1024x768)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB PNG
High quality thread you got here
>>
A replacement battery costs less than 20€, same for the tools to open the case and do the replacing. Plus, the tools can be used repeatedly.

If you keep the screen on a lot, you can just replace the battery when the battery life gets too low.

You could also use a second phone as a dedicated one for the bike. There is no arguing they offer more functionality than a bike computer.
>>
>>1670257
this is the most pathetic setup I've seen in my life
>>
>>1695155
thanks
>>
File: download.jpg (84 KB, 1298x1000)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Quadlock has never failed me, ive got one in my wage cage, on both my bikes, and a running armband. I'm taking my phone with me anyway, why not put it somewhere useful
>>
>>1694385
I was looking for this in this thread. There are several examples on Github, but here's an example of a Japanese guy making his own bike computer with a 5 USD Raspberry Pi and other components. I haven't looked into it, but the whole thing couldn't have costed him more than 50 USD.
https://github.com/hishizuka/pizero_bikecomputer
Maybe /n/iggers aren't interested in DIY projects but I think this is really cool.
>>
>>1698487
it's cool, but I'm not strapping a 6 inch screen to my handlebars. if I had at least three bikes I might do it to my "shitpost: the bike" bike
>>
>>1698487
That's a nice project but why does it have such a short battery life, is it because it uses python or does gps use so much energy?
>>
>>1665027
>why do people do this?

Yeah I never understood the idea of riding a bike when you're an adult. Buy a car, you are not a child!
>>
>>1701390
Probably because cars aren't fun, you spend more time trying to park them or make sure they have enough gas or oil than you would save over riding a bike or taking the train, and if you just need to USE a car as opposed to OWN the car, there are much better ways that don't involve becoming a "father" to a demanding, bulky, smog-belching, monstrosity that gets broken into when you're not looking
>>
>>1701394
a nice Tesla Model 3 solves 4/4 of your problems.
>cheaper to run
>absolutely 0 oil or gasoline required
>reliability issues approach 0 with EV's
is IMMENSLY fun to drive, every single time

also, how is sitting on a 3inch wide hard leather """"seat"""" more fun than going from 0-60 in 3 seconds in an enclosed, bundle of safety glass, metal and soft leather, almost lying down on a soft LARGE chair, while all the work comes from moving your left foot a little bit?

engineers did the hard work so you don't have to mate! buy a car!
>>
Overpriced shit, just like any cycling product out there.

You need at least an Garmin Edge 830 for on the road navigation and for usability with its touchscreen.

The only argument for a bike computer is its battery life (for longer tours) and readability under sunlight.
>>
>>1701402
Oh great, now I can circle the block for 45 minutes and then get into an old west style gun battle over a parking space but the motor was electric and it comes with megalomaniac apartheid branding, so no problem!
>>
>>1701403
>the only argument for a bike computer is the argument the op made for a bike computer
Good job, only took you 2 months to catch up!
>>
>>1665027
these days this seems to be a hobby for rich hipsters so they can just buy another if it breaks
>>
>>1665035
smartphone batteries have not been this shit since 17/18
>>
>>1701406
schizo, what is your problem? who the fuck has ever fought over a parking space? if you're ready to spend hundreds of kcals on bikes, surely park a couple walking minutes away from the store instead of searching for a nearby parrking? you are what is wrong with today's society mate. Get mental help.
>>
>>1701402
going 0-60 as fast as you can gets old fast, and that's coming from someone who rode 1L supersport widowmakers. Holding as much momentum through a corner as fast as possible, now that never gets old and Tesla's are shit at cornering due to their 4000lb curb weight and with how light bikes are, cornering at stupidly fast speeds on something as light as a bike is so much god damn fun it never gets old.
>>
>>1682703
kys
>>
>>1701771
>it never gets old.
It gets old very quickly the first time you wipe out.
>>
>>1701619
>His phone isn't over 3 years old
It's like you're a drooling consumerist or something.
>>
>>1701809
It's ok to be poor (actually not really) but don't try to shame people for doing better in life than you.
>>
>>1701809
I'm a poorfag but I got fed up with having no battery and a shit phone when everything needs them now.
Otherwise i'd just have a nokia burner.
If you can afford a 2k bike you can afford a phone made in the last 4 years.
>>
>>1701804
you're right I wanna sit on my bike, increasing my prostate cancer risks and voiding hungry people for food cos I do biking and need 10x the normal amount of food.

that never gets old.
until you die of prostate cancer.
>>
>>1701809
i could easily get a week out of my 5 year old cheap android brick. the real problem is the garbage software that runs in the background all the time, not the battery
>>
>>1702722
yeah i've been lurking reddit since january because of the GME thing and i have to make sure my battery is topped up every day. in bed i'll take a break when the battery is low to keep the alarms alive, it has drained to 0 a bunch of times. my phone has a 3800 mAh battery so i'm not exactly a batterylet
>>
>>1665283
not very useful if you don't already know where you are
>>
>>1702374
Now try to write something coherent
>>
>>1702967
>yeah i've been lurking reddit

good, go back there
>>
My phone is 300 EUR and paid by the company.
>>
ITT: poorcope
>>
>>1674746
other option would be another phone with software that works fully offline. or offline software, airplane mode and USB battery. or some GPS-only GPS like in the 1990s and a paper map.
>>
>>1701767
>who the fuck has ever fought over a parking space?
I have when trying to get parking for a concert, before i started riding everywhere. It happens more than you might expect. Fortunately i look like a crackhead so just yelling at people is usually all it took for me to get a spot. Cars truly are the worst transportation method there is in a city
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (164 KB, 1280x720)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>1701767
It's a completely normal way to settle a dispute, are you living under a rock?
>>
Bike computers are way too expensive for my tastes, but I don't don't they're superior to having a phone strapped to your bars.
Things is, in 2021 entry level chinese smartphones are ridiculously high quality for the price. So it doesn't make sense, considering you could literally just buy a spare phone for the task and still be able to use it for a wide variety of other things.
I personally use an iPhone I found on the beach, which I unlocked with some pirated russian/chinese hacking software. Now it is used as 1. ebook reader 2. offline maps and gps 3. bike computer
I usually just let Strava do its thing with the screen off and check the stats when I finish riding. Uses almost no battery this way.

>>1698487
>https://github.com/hishizuka/pizero_bikecomputer
That's so fucking cool man.
>>
File: bogeer-813.jpg (33 KB, 700x700)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
A long time ago I saw pic related recommended on /g/. Anyone knows any similar product?
>>
File: murkans.jpg (19 KB, 384x395)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>1707695
HAIL HAIL FREEDONIA
>>
>>1708220
If you outlaw parking space duels, only outlaws will have parking space duels
>>
>>1707870
Fuck me is that e-ink? This is something I would have done had I not bought a lezyne cheapo to display from my power meter, if that thing can read BLE or ant+. Hated the thought of buying a bike computer but my time is drying up and I wanted something fast. I would have used a phone but shits so hard to see in bright sunlight.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.