[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>tfw fell for the clipless pedal meme
>>
Clipless is superior, both on road and on MTBs.
>>
shimano probably is the best pedal system out there, maybe Time and Look are close seconds, speedplay is dead last meme pedal
>>
File: 3dpd.png (490 KB, 449x401)
490 KB
490 KB PNG
>>1664298
>it can't even adjust float
>it has to twiddle with its toes to clip in
>it has like 6mm of stack between the pedal spindle and the ball of the foot
>>
>>1664315
sounds like you got some bike fit problems mate
>>
>>1664317
I'm not the one who has to adjust my riding to fit the pedals instead of the other way around
>>
>>1664321
if you need over 9000 degrees of float on your pedals your not interacting with the bike properly and need to get that sorted out. noone needs more float than yellow cleats provide
>>
why are they called clipless? it's literally a clip in system
>>
>>1664346
Here is a pedal with a toeclip/cage for reference.
>>
>>1664346
do you clip into skis?
it's a cleated binding
>>
>>1664291
>Shimano?
>>
>>1664291
It's not a meme but it's also not necessary, just use whatever you like
>>
>>1664315
You have mentioned zero issues...what is your point?
>>
>>1664298
You got the order backwards. Speedplays are based. Shimano is shit.
>>
>>1664322
Cope. Shimano is trash.
>>1664346
Because it is the successor to toe clips.
>>
>>1664423
ill cope with the fact you have no argument

the best speedplay was the frogs for mtb but since Wahoo owns speedplay now they discontinued them
>>
>>1664452
cope
>>
File: le smug fig.png (48 KB, 222x362)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
>>1664291
>tfw enlightened MTB pedal roadie
>>
>>1664456
>any clipless but speedplays for road
ngmi
>>
>>1664291
>he doesn't use XTR platform pedals with integrated clipless or use Dura Ace clipless pedals on his road bike which also doubles as a regular platform for short or lazy riding where you don't want to wear your clipless shoes

NGMI brainlette
>>
>>1664291
Did that for about a month last summer. It sucked.
>>
>>1664322
>being under constant pressure from your pedals to twist your ankles into the exact position the pedal wants at all times no matter where in the pedal stroke, no matter your saddle position, no matter if you're cornering or just need to change things up because you've been in the saddle for hours is a good thing because no one needs anything better
I didn't know fixie people had upgraded from velcro straps
>>
>>1664315
this, 6mm stack under your foot plus backward sloping top tube is the manlet starter pack for people who feel insecure about the amount of seatpost showing
>>
>>1664456
I use big flat purple mtb pedals on my carbon dropbar fredsled and I can almost guarantee not a single person has ever acknowledged or cared about what the fuck Im riding or how Im riding it
I cannot begin to comprehend the people here who worry about how they look or how others perceive them, fact is they dont even truly acknowledge your existence unless they are trying to run you over or nick your bike
>>
>>1664595
we notice, we just don't say anything because it's against social norms to say something

I definitely do laugh a little in my head when I see someone in full kit and sneakers on a road bike with flat pedals. I laugh inwardly, I judge, and I might even slow down a little to prolong the entertainment
>>
>>1664321
>>1664472
How the fuck are you pedaling if you need more float than yellow Shimano cleats? I've been on zero float cleats for years and don't undestand what the fuck you're doing if you need more float than the Shimano platform allows.
>>
>>1664638
what you do if you see a cyclist on a full on track ready bike with full kit riding toe clips and straps with vans?
asking for a friend
>>
File: clown-bike.jpg (18 KB, 290x400)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>1664674
average speedplay user
>>
File: e61.jpg (47 KB, 750x920)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>1664674
shimano only supports the same amount of float in both directions. it also constantly tries to force you into the neutral position, which is pointless stress on your ankles
>>1664679
depends, is your friend a cute 19 year old japanese girl with the ass of a 12 year old boy? if so I'll have to inspect her saddle for proper positioning
>>
>>1664684
Shimano doesn't force you to a neutral angle. And you can change the angle in which the cleat is on your shoe. So it is in fact possible to have different float in different directions.
>>
>>1664684
>speedplay
>retarded
>gay
>pedo
checks out
>>
>>1664688
>19
>pedo
projecting much?
>>
File: 73e.jpg (11 KB, 220x285)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1664291
You know what I've been wondering about?
Magnets.
Instead of clipping in you put foot on the pedal and magnet locks it into the place. If you want to release your foot, just pull it up, the force you exert will be greater than the magnetic force.
>>
>>1664698
I saw pedals like that the other day. Can't remember where though.
>>
File: 42.jpg (85 KB, 467x700)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>1664291
>be me
>buy gravel bike, my first bike ever
>start watching gcn
>all the cool guys use clipless pedals
>spend 250 euros on shoes and pedals
>go for a ride fairly remote location
>fall down to the side
>no idea what happened but cannot lift my arm, seems to be stuck in one position pointing downwards, no pain though
>google some tips online, manage to get my arm somehow fixed and working properly again, still no pain
>next day and for the next week a lot of pain in arm, where the shoulder is, cannot lift my arm
>after some while all is ok
still have no idea what happened. did I dislocate my shoulder or something?

either way after that, I continued using clipless for a while but I realized that for a fairly casual rider like me it's really not worth it, plus I like getting off my bike a lot and walking and exploring places so clipless get in the way.
>>
ngl I love cages, still use them on both my bikes, for me they offer the best compromise overall without the need for special shoes, clipless are marginally better for performance but need the aforementioned shoes, flat pedals are also fine for casual riding but you will waste energy and are more likely to lose your footing.
>>
>>1664730
>and are more likely to lose your footing
Which is why mountainbikers never use flat pedals.
>>
>>1664638
i mean normal people not other cyclists, which i see every other week at best
if you see antoher cyclist and immediately start looking him up and down and judging him and his kit, you're not the norm
99% of people are thinking about themselves, and if they do notice and judge you, they've forgotten about you in about 30 seconds
>>
>>1664698
but isnt the point of clipless to allow you to exert force on the upstroke so people with properly trained cadence can maximise their watt output
and the point of clipless on a mtb is to be able to manouveur the bike around at high speed and incline, likely meaning you'll easily exert more force than you'd need to release it
>>
OP only posted this particular bait thread because there's already helmet bait threads.
>>
>>1664739
I've posted them all lol. I also post the 1x and gravel tire bait threads.
>>
>>1664738
No, the point is that your feet will stay on the pedals, and on proper position even at high cadence. Muh upstroke is a meme
>>
>>1664746
Yeah, but i post the helm war threads, still the best bait there is
>>
>>1664738
Wasn't there some research that proved that there's no difference on upstrokes when using clipless or flat pedals?
I assume that is not true, but at the same time I think that the gains are not really that big unless you compete on high level.
>>
>>1664752
If you lift with the up leg you are exerting more force per stroke, of course you are going to expend your energy resources faster too, so yeah, clipless can be better over limited distances
>>
>>1664736
>if you see antoher cyclist and immediately start looking him up and down and judging him and his kit, you're not the norm
I don't have to look him up and down when I'm stuck behind him going over a narrow bridge crossing. it might shock you to realize this but it's kinda hard to not look at someone when they're 10 feet in front of you for about 5 minutes. glad I was able to help you understand how you look to others.
>>
Upstroke is good for acceleration and climbing steep inclines on a singlespeed.
>>
>>1664684
>neutral position, which is pointless stress on your ankles
Anon what the fuck are you doing?
>>
>>1664698
Fucking magnets how do they work.jpg
>>
>>1664728
Holy fuck
>>
>>1664770
anatomically neutral and mechanically neutral aren't the same thing. the whole point of float is that different people's "neutral" at different points in the pedal stroke are going to vary. this is just another case of "my stuff can't do that thing, therefore no one should be able to do that thing"
>>
>>1664732
Pinned flats work pretty well with the right shoes, i think part of the problems people have with flat pedals is that they use cheapo plastic flats with no pins
>>
>>1664736
>if you see antoher cyclist and immediately start looking him up and down and judging him and his kit, you're not the norm
Oh yeah kid? Well i sit by a popular bike trail taking a break for hours doing nothing but judge people's rides. You think i don't have time to notice what tires you're using as you cruise by? Think again punk, i have two fast shutter sports cameras set up on either side of the trail to take pictures so I can check your logos. You think nobody cares about your kit? Wrong, i can spot cheap amazon shit a mile away. I even judge the number of water bottles you have, and you better not be çarrying a fucking camel back. That's right, nobody is safe from my critical eye
>>
>>1664777
Yeah, I have some pinned DMR's and they are great with certain pairs of sneakers, you need a shoe with fairly tough or rigid soles and decent tread, I commute with this bike and found that they work best with my Nike Jammer's.
>>
File: 1619341507647.jpg (15 KB, 243x216)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>1664779
>>
File: 20200312-dsc00645.jpg (760 KB, 1280x854)
760 KB
760 KB JPG
>>1664456
especially now that you can get fairly lightweight road-style shoes with reasonably stiff soles
>>
>>1664814

I wouldn't count on being able to get anything mavic that isn't a wheel at this point
>>
>>1664818
oof, yeah i got lucky buying one of the last in stock last year
bike-discount.de says available on 12.07.2021 fwiw

i also got BBB forcemount BPD-14 pedals which are relatively affordable for being sub 300 grams
>>
>>1664291
I use flats and straps because I'm a casual.
>>
>>1664747
Thank you, at least someone said it
>>
>>1664291
yeah, i fell for it as i was sick of wearing inappropriate shoes that just got as fucked up as my feet - you go ahead though.
>>
>>1664814
I had these, the rubber started wearing off after couple weeks.
>>
Long >5h low intensity rides: flats
Commuting: flats
Short but intensive rides <2h: clipless
>>
>>1664872
Someone says that every time there's a thread about clipless pedals. The only people who think that clipless is for power output on the upstroke don't ride.
>>
>>1664422
What fucking rock have you been under? Speedplay pedals are fucking garbage. Not to mention the retarded cleats that need adapters to mount to 99% of shoes.
>>
>I don't like brand X of absurdly complicated shoe gizmo because it has a slightly different way of being absurdly complicated than brand Y of absurdly complicated shoe gizmos
you sound like women arguing about loubutins
>>
>>1665059
>absurdly complicated
and you sound like an idiot.
>>
>>1664456
>run SPD clips on road and mountain bikes
>get to use the same shoes for both
take that, footjews
>>
>>1665501
>Use SPD on all my bikes
>Only have one set of pedals, just switch them around
Lol take that nips
>>
>>1665516
you're gonna be like
>why the fuck did i do this for so long
when you get another set of pedals
>>
>>1665516
>*strips a crank thread*
>>
>>1665516
I've been doing that since I usually go through phases, favoring one bike at a time.
>>
>>1664752
>>1664747
Upstroke as part of the "pedal in circles" thing when riding high cadence on the flat was disproven, turns out the most effective way to pedal at high cadence is whatever comes naturally as your body adapts to do the most efficient pedal stroke without needing conscious input. But high cadence drills are good because they train you to be more stable in your core and to get better at unweighting the pedal on the upstroke (not consciously pulling up, just using the same muscles enough to avoid pressing down on the upstroke) which is more efficient overall.

However clipless pedals do give you the ability to consciously pull up, this is useful in sprints or low cadence climbing, because you can use muscles in your legs which aren't as fatigued compared to the others. So you preserve a bit of "kick" for getting on someone's wheel when you're already basically on your limit. Sometimes you're going hard and your quads/hamstring/glutes are full of lactic and you're struggling to go any faster but you can get out of the saddle and use those muscles a bit to maintain your speed while allowing the other muscle groups to rest a little.
>>
>>1664456
I once was a fool, so as soon as I got a road bike, I got road bike shoes with road bik pedals. Then some day I was watching videos and saw one Durian rider video in which he did a really long ride and climbed a a mountain (he had some spare sandals/shoes) but he did that ride with mtb pedals and I realized he could walk with no problem every time he got off his bike, and then I kept looking and saw a video of him saying that mtb shoes are in fact acceptable for leisure riders, after that I kept looking for some extra info and ended in Sheldon Brown's webpage, he said that mtb not only are acceptable, in fact is the best choice for someone who wants to have secure feet and is not a pro and mtb pedals were the best option if you plan to ride and stop some times.

>>1665516
I do it too, no reason to have more than a pair of pedals when you can change them in a couple of minutes.
>>
>>1665689
The main advantage of road pedals vs mtb pedals (at least normal ones like m520s) is a wider platform so there is less power lost due to shoe flex. If you have sufficiently stiff shoes though, then the difference between spd-sl and spd is minimal. You can also go a step further and get spds that have a rail around the cleats for more stiffness, like the m785. Those are going to be just as good as road pedals unless you truly believe the meme aero advantages that companies try and sell you on
>>
>>1665687
>clipless pedals do give you the ability to consciously pull up
So do toe clips and straps.

> this is useful in sprints or low cadence climbing
Yes.
>>
>>1665689
>no reason to have more than a pair of pedals
I can think of at least one reason.

How cheap do you have to be not have a set of pedals for each of your bikes? What are you doing even owning more than one bike if you're that stingy.
>>
>>1665796
True, i meant foot retention in general does that. But toe clips with the straps done up are hard to exit from quickly, and with only the clips and no straps you dont get as solid a connection. with clipless pedals its second nature to clip/unclip once you get the hang of it.
>>
>>1665888
I find it much easier and faster to enter/exit toe clips than with clipless. I don't need to tighten the straps more than that and I still have the upstroke when I want it.
>>
>>1664291
I rode clipless for many years, both road and mountain. Finally a year ago I gave in and bought some big platforms and I love them, I'll never go back to clipless now. Perhaps my priorities have just changed. I like being able to ride wherever I want and not worry about what ridiculous shoes I'm wearing.
>>
>>1664595
I was in the Phillipines on a trip, saw an extremely fit dude in full kit, riding fast - on flip flops. Was funny and I never forgot it.
>>
Neither. Use magnets.
>>
>>1665797
>How cheap do you have to be not have a set of pedals for each of your bikes?
Cool it with the anti semitism
>>
>>1665922
What? You literally just stomp down to enter and twist to exit. Once you're used to it you don't even think about it
>>
>>1665941
Tried it for several weeks last year. Couldn't get the hang of it and I didn't feel clipless provided any benefit at all, so wasn't worth persisting.
>>
>>1665937
What?
>>
>>1664291
They're good for climbing when it gets steep, helps you keep momentum.
>>
File: 1424140298398.jpg (11 KB, 165x255)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1665689
>is not a pro
why do people always say this shit when it comes to bikes
>>
spd pedals
Shimano sandals
waterproof socks if required

>extremely comfy and adjustable
>good in all weather
>holds your feet in place and allows upstroke
>can still walk in your sandals to go for a piss

they're the best.
>>
>>1664351
lol
>>
>>1665963
some things are made specifically to gain a competitive edge in racing and are only for sale because of UCI regulations and because some freds will buy it. you could cope with SPD-SL pedals if you live the roadie lifestyle with long rides on the weekend and whatnot but for the average person SPD pedals are more practical and there's minimal compromise when used with the right shoes.
>>
>>1666142
No. The correct thing to do is to figure out the shoes FIRST, and then figure out the pedals. The shoes are always the most important part of the fit. Regular SPDs are generally better for casuals, but there are situations where the SLs are actually more comfortable. Wide feet. Big watts. Better fine adjustment for angle and leg lenght. A pair of cleat covers isn't THAT big of a deal for occasional walkers.

>>1665963
Because he's dumb enough that even DurianRider is educational for him, and can't tell enthusiast from pro.
>>
>>1664347
here is one with a Cleat plate installed
>>
>>1664350
>do you clip into skis?
yes?
>>
>>1665963
because they can't cope with being unfit, mechanically inept, and broke, so they make up a straw man where anyone who isn't a complete fuckup thinks they're a pro cyclist
>>
File: duck-feet-posture.jpg (13 KB, 299x215)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>1664291
i have duck feet and occasionally pull out of the clip on the upstroke. clips and straps for me i guess
>>
File: 952d0c84dc.jpg.500x500.jpg (122 KB, 500x500)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>4 by 4 inch platform pedals
>perfection achieved
>>
>>1665708
>less power lost due to shoe flex
This is a meme, even flat pedals have been proven to be as efficient as clipless, so the difference between different types of clipless is nothing. There are other reasons why stiffer shoes are better, but efficiency is not one of them.
>>
>>1666375
Sounds like you need some float in your pedals and maybe some nonstandard axle lengths
>>
>>1664347
peak performance here, clipless belong into the trash
>>
File: BLUCLEA3.jpg (129 KB, 950x742)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>1666534
>not having the shoes pertinently attached to the pedal
>>
>>1666383
>can't sprint without dire risk of crashing
>feet can slip off at any time causing a crash
>high cadence pedaling almost impossible
>wasting energy by having to constantly keep pressure on the pedal so your foot doesn't slip off
platform pedals are for casuals
>>
File: hugepedals-1024x576.jpg (80 KB, 1024x576)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
what do you guys think of that one dude who is trying to prove flat pedals are better, he put a lot of time and effort into making his pedals but you have to ride them really weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x_wxGc97uI
>>
>>1667178
No
>>
File: crankbrothers stamp.png (3.42 MB, 2400x1350)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB PNG
>>1667179
He brings interesting arguments but I don't fully believe in midfoot pedaling for a primary pedaling method. Mid foot pedaling is amazing at mashing from a stop but anytime after I'm on my toes. The nice thing about flats is being able to transition between midfoot to the ball while riding. Anyways, I've been riding all my life, since I was 4, and I've always been on flats except the one time I tried switching to clipless and hated it, so yeah mtb flats for life
>>
>>1667297
none of that is wrong, you're just coping.
>>
>>1667413
They should make clipless shoes that can take 2 cleats, one just ahead of mid and one slightly past balls of the feet
>>
>>1667451
That's how clipless works though, you don't need two cleats....
>>
>>1667456
No, like not multiple positions when you're setting up the shoes, i mean the ability to switch while riding. So 2 cleats on the shoes and you can unclip one then switch to the other mid ride
>>
File: Wellgo B233AL.jpg (451 KB, 1500x1500)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
>>1667178
I have managed 200 rpm on some very shitty pedals
>wasting energy by having to constantly keep pressure on the pedal so your foot doesn't slip off
yes, and it requires some practice but there is not much benefit in pedaling faster than 130 rpm
>>
>>1667499
oh, yeah that would be cool. I feel like that could be solved with some sort of magnet thing but I'm not clever enough to figure it out
>>
could clip into a curved rail on the pedal
>>
>>1664779
thank you for your service
>>
>>1664779
>you better not be çarrying a fucking camel back
No
I'll be carrying TWO
>>
>>1667499
I don't think there's really enough space on shoes for that, but maybe something like TIME's float system where you get a little lateral float in addition to angular could be devised where you get some fore/aft float. The lateral float requires a little bit of effort, so it's not like your feet are going all over the place.
>>
>>1667178
Cuck i can easily hold 100rpm on flat pedals. Go shill somewhere else fred
>>
>>1667178
You sound spastic.
>>
>>1667179
>>1667413
Midfoot is a fucking meme. I've actually tried midfoot with clipless and it's a fucking meme.

You can't sprint with mid foot position. You can't ride at threshold as well. They worked really well when riding below sweet spot but anything above that would be ass. It might work well for touring and ironmans but anything outside that is better served with traditional cleat placement.
>>
>>1667811
that youtuber is into touring to be fair
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7bB6t33oUY

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.