[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 73 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Ladies and gentlemen,
Behold
The main (and only) train station of Australia's capital city
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>1660667
That's what happens when it was planned during the era of cars at the top in urban planning.
I think they were going to add a rail/light rail that went through the canberra in the og plans, but it didnt end up happening.
Now canberra has roundabouts with trafficlights during peak hour, and is starting to build a light rail.
>>
File: Fuck your transport.jpg (196 KB, 1920x1279)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>>1660667
Canberra has a population just over 400,000 people and was literally built for for the Federal Government and the supporting industry to do its thing. Canberra is literally the size of a country town. Sydney and Melbourne where the vast majority of our population lives. Pic attached in Central station in Sydney.
>>
>>1660702
>tfw your tram has to stop for some diplo plate cunt to do a u turn that would be illegal for you
>>
>>1660722
>400,000
>country town
What?
>>
>>1660702
we now have 14km of tram track from the city to gungahlin. 2nd stage from city to woden is being planned at the moment.
>>
File: cbrtram.png (76 KB, 499x711)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
>>1660733
for those interested. pic is the masterplan. red is built and operational. yellow is next
>>
>>1660732
he means the area not the population you halfwit
>>
>>1660667
Makes Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, Yokohama and Osaka/Umeda jealous.
>>
I don't get what's so funny
>>
>>1660832
well, generally capitals have big, extensive transit networks, forming arteries which move vast amounts of people around. i think op perhaps finds the contrast between this expectation, and the reality, to be funny.

i'm not op, and neither am i australian, but i know that canberra is a planned city ('right we need a proper capital, let's do it right, where should we put it lads'), so to have what appears to be a sleepy suburban station instead of a nerve centre, seems like one of those historical quirks that just sort of kept on keeping on.
>>
>>1660839
thank you
>>
>>1660667
SOVL
>>
>>1660667
That's one more than Tasmania.
>>
>>1660839
It's sleepy because there's no internal train system in Canberra The only reason you'd be at the train station is if you were coming in from another city. The majority of people I've seen there are old folk coming in from Sydney who I assume are too old to drive and don't trust planes/ don't want to pay for a flight.
>>
>>1662027
comfy
>>
>>1660667
And y'all say the US train system is shit. At least our train stations are a TON nicer.

>DC train station
>>
>>1662071
>metro area of 6 million vs metro area of 400,000
well done mate
>>
>>1662080
Oh yeah, just a sleepy little town. I'm sorry your capital is shit.
>>
>capital-shaming
poor form imo
>>
Rate cities by their current metro plans

Melbourne > Perth > Sydney > Brisbane > Adelaide > Hobart

Melbourne has the biggest and best long term plans, Metro + Suburban rail loop + sunshine to airport + possibly metro 2 in the future
Perth has reasonable long term goals for metronet. Sensible and achievable long term goals to develop an inter-suburban network (thornlie cockburn link) while also expanding outward.
Sydney has a lot of plans but their infrastructure is shit. Metro style trains for intersuburban travel, metro west already services areas serviced by the western lines and the light rail is a disaster. I don't care about the western airport extension because it's not being built for another 2 billion decades and also
>metros
Brisbane has cross river rail and nothing else. Maybe the springfield to ipswich extension if labor wins the next federal election. Cleveland line is desperately in need of duplication and stage 3a of the light rail extension is pretty piss weak.
Adelaide is doing some rail electrification and fuck all else. I've heard rumblings about the tram network but I doubt Marshall has any plans for it especially considering he's looking at losing the next election
Hobart
>muh high frequency busses
>>
>>1662209
oh yeah i forgot canberra. The light rail is cool i guess, long term plans are also cool but a timeline would be nice. I feel like it's more akin to slapping a bandaid on an axe wound though because the design of canberra is so car centric i don't see how useful it would be but it's nice to know there are long term plans for rail transport unlike hobart where they don't even have any rail plans except maybe possibly looking at the northern corridor
>>
>>1660667
I wish the Canberra train went to more places in its local region. Going direct to Melbourne would also be nice.
>>
>>1660740
This stuff literally cannot come soon enough.
>>
File: 3053-1024x682.jpg (136 KB, 1024x682)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>1662027
Does anyone actually catch this train? Everyone I know that makes the journey takes the bus which is cheaper.
>>
>>1662209
>Brisbane has cross river rail and nothing else
I got a lift far down south for a wedding and caught the train from Varsity Lakes at the Gold Coast to Nambour on the Sunshine Coast for less than the cost of a coffee and a pie from a bakery

Its pretty fucking amazing to be a Queenslander. In terms of development im not a NIMBY but its best to live in those pockets that arent conveniently served by rail. I have noticed an extreme relationship between how far you are away from rail and the quality of life (it improves)
>>
>>1662209
a hobart to launceston line would be absolute kino, tasmanian countryside is amazing
fucking t*smanians ruined this opportunity
>>
>>1662581
Well, the bus also has a much higher frequency than the train (buses are hourly while trains are maybe 3-4 times a day).
>>
>>1662615
I was looking at the policies at the Tasmanian election and neither party put anything up front beyond "looking into" a northern high-frequency transport corridor in Hobart, it's honestly amazing how sad the public transit network in Tasmania is considering it was basically the original green state before the ACT yuppies and yimbies took the crown

>>1662588
The SEQ rail network is expansive i will admit but in terms of network coverage it's basically proto-HSR in the fact that all it serves is bussing people from the major population hotspots to Brisbane and back.
Unless you live in Zone 1 of Brisbane you can't really get anywhere of value and even then there's only a dozen stations that really take you anywhere of value. The only good stations are central, FV, roma street, toowong, milton, south brisbane, southbank, indooroopilly, park road and the two airport stations. All other stations just exist in suburbia or are too far away from actual points of business to be convienient to travel by train, you can get to more worthwhile places on the busway than on the rail network sadly.
I'm glad CRR is being built to be fair since it'll unlock three really useful areas to travel to on the rail network (The gabba, brisbane city and exhibition) but outside of that there really needs to be an east west link between Hamilton and Indooroopilly to carry people to more useful points in the city
>>
>>1662628
Here's my idea for the east west link. The pink line is the ideal line which connects the east and west together through the major population hotspots of the city. Red spots represent likely stops while light blue represent possible stops, mostly because of the lack of population density and also Newfarm west and Bulimba are peak nimby terriroty.
I also developed alternative branch lines (in purple) to connect west end to the ipswich/springfield line since going through the university and connecting to Indooroopilly might be too expensive relative to the benefits it provides.The green spot is an alternative West End station in the situation that instead of traveling to Taringa or through St. lucia it connects to Toowong station instead. I think a loop from toowong to Hamilton would be the ideal "achievable" version of this plan
>>
I work for Translink in Brisbane, have to say everyone in Translink is pretty retarded and compromise in the most retarded possible ways, ie. cheaped out on escalators and I have to deal with them breaking all the time at KGS and QSBS
>>
>>1662652
will never happen but would be the smart decision, also we need a comprehensive plan for dealing with the SEQ urban corridor which I'm pretty sure we don't currently have
>>
This is a Nambour train, stopping all stations.
The next station is Glasshouse Mountains
>>
>>1662692
I'm still confused as to who runs translink. The state government? The Brisbane council? Both? Also Schrinner's "metro" makes my physically cringe every time i see promotions for it, I bet you they're going to fuck up the northern corridor by making it busway only. I wish the state government would bend their arm to make it a rail line but as far as I know they're just as incompotent. I really wonder why considering that VIC and WA have great plans for their rail network while QLD Labor is just "duuuuuuuuh, cross river rail!!!!!!!" and nothing else
>>
>>1662800
I believe Translink is a common branding/fare scheme, but actual service is provided under contract by different operators, such as Brisbane City Council, Transdev, and Bus Queensland.
>>
>>1662628
melbourne inner city basically turned greens because of t*smanians moving here
>>
>>1662800
>>1662904
Translink anon here, Translink was formed under the newman gov, we're responsible for network planning, oversight, branding, and technical operational elements.
But yeah each council and some contracters are responsible for actual operation which can get pretty messy when we organsie rail closures for instance, too many cooks.
>>
Also working in translink I've found out theres a lot of interdepartment conflict, QR is bitter about Translink taking over responsibility for fares and such.
Gay and retarded office drama if you ask me but it leads to people being very uncooperative on joint projects.
>>
>>1663070
I thought it was because of tr*nnies and homos moving their en masse as well as "progressive' yuppie losers who think brown people are cool
>>1663132
Yeah the public transit system in SEQ is a fucking mess, split amongst too many different branches of government. Still I had a feeling that schrinner/quirk are behind most of the constant shit that plagues the inner CBD considering that the escalators in roma street are on the fritz 24/7 while they sit around on facebook jerking off about "brisbane metro" 24/7
>>1663135
IMO state government should take over all aspects of the rail network, there's no reason BCC should be in control of shit like that when they don't even control all of brisbane let alone the sunshine coast or Gold coast.
>>
>>1663206
schrinner doesn't have much to do with that, the council is a bit less cooperative than other depts. excluding QR who are extremely uncooperative and have shit signage.
TMR/Translink are to blame for the escalators and elevators, plus whoever theyve contracted.
>>
>>1663206
>I thought it was because of tr*nnies and homos moving their en masse as well as "progressive' yuppie losers who think brown people are cool
yes, I said t*smanians
>>
>>1663287
I thought tasmanians were just boomers who liked trees and cold weather and their desire to protect the environment was based purely around having a nice view of the forest from their $1 million homes on top of hills
>>
>>1663237
regardless the rail network needs to come under one joint authority instead of being split amongst QR/translink/TMR, even if that means segregating the authorities who run busses and ferries from the rail lines.
also i still hate schrinner because the birsbane metro is gay and has been delayed like, 20 times
>>
>>1663376
they are now once all the young faggots in the 90s left
>>
>>1662581
The only time I found the train more convenient was to when wanting to get off just before Sydney
>>
>>1663395
I agree, but QR does run all rail already, definitely needs to be reformed under one department. Also, they need to do a round of firing and performance reviews. Maybe they could fill those positions with ambitious young people rather than haggard and cynical old cunts.
>>
File: ngr.jpg (138 KB, 1080x720)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>1663132
The newman government also gave us these shitboxes. This is now an NGR hate thread
>>
>>1663916
what's wrong with the NGR's from a physical standpoint? I don't mind the look and it's nice being able to walk the entire length of a 6 car train (as opposed to shackling 2 3 car trains together) but i have heard there are issues within the design itself
>>
>>1663973
the NGR's are for the most part fine. disabled access has been it's most glaring issue in the past few years. many people dislike them for their stiff seating compared to previous trains but at least they have high backed seats. i'd say most hate from the railfans is the generic asethic look it has
>>
>>1662652
dude your idea for an east-west link in pink is already perfectly served by the city cats

>this is your brain on trains
>>
>>1663916
>Assembled in India

Ruh roh
>>
>>1662581
>Does anyone actually catch this train?
Old people. They get discounts and aren't in a rush.
>>
Public transport here sucks I refuse to use it so many niggers and stupid white cunts I hate it
>>
>>1663916
*ahem*
FUCK NGRs
>>
>>1663916
>This is now an NGR hate thread

What da fug ? NGR are comfy as fuck and a huge upgrade when taking a day trip to the Goldy. If there is anything to hate its that they only serve the Airport and Goldy lines so far as to give positive impression to all insectoid travelers.
>>
>>1665302
>comfy as fuck
the seats are like sitting on an ironing board and the high backs are claustrophobic
>>
>>1665092
BASED
>>
I lived in Canberra for a year and it doesn't need trains, there are massive empty roads everywhere and everyone just rides their bikes. Only problem is all the northern suburbs they're building but there hardly any reason to travel into the city centre anyway
>>
>>1665442
>i lived in Canberra for a year
when? 10 years ago? canberra has the worst built roads and drivers in australia. every canberran will agree
>>
>>1665437
>and the high backs are claustrophobic
What ? as opposed to seeing the freakshows that actually catch this shit round Beenleigh ?
>>
>>1665604
>beenleigh
there's your first mistake
>>
>>1664257
>dude why do you need to take a train when the city cats exist bro
>just like, spend a literal hour traveling from Hamilton to the city bro
>who cares if you could get there faster on bus bro the city cats already go there bro
public transport is not a zero sum game retard
>>
>>1664028
I don't really have any issues with the seats on the NGR. Comfort isn't amazing true but i still prefer the high back seats for the gold coast trips yeah
>>
>>1661387
...Really? Because it's a fucking ghost town you consider it soul?
>>
>>1663132
>cooks
did you mean crooks?
>>
>>1660722
>all that open space right next to the CBD
With how crowded Shytney is getting I'm surprised they haven't tried imitating Adelaide and built things directly over the platforms and rail yard.
>>
File: Adelaide CBD 1970s.jpg (68 KB, 1280x720)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1667359
And here it is in the 1970s, with the Morphett St bridge standing all by itself.
>>
>>1667359
>Central Precinct will be divided into 10 sub precincts with “city-scale buildings”, primarily commercial, to be constructed on the space above the current railway tracks and to the site’s west close to Railway Square.
>>
>>1668267
Sydney is going to become hong kong 2.0 where a handfull of chinese cunts own every single building in that city and the shitty metro network they have planned which is a direct downgrade from the proposed metro plans from 2007 aren't going to make getting around any easier
>>
File: original sydney metro.png (198 KB, 1749x1396)
198 KB
198 KB PNG
>>1668570
I'll never forgive that armenian roach for fucking up the original metro plan I hope Azerbaijan anexes that shithole country and kills every armeniod in that state purely as a form of karma for bestowing that whore upon us as the transport minister and now premier of NSW
>>
>>1668571
that looks kino
Whats the story behind that loop thing at olympic park
>>
>>1668658
It is where the Olympics were held in 2000. Just a little loop line to move people from the main line to where all the stadiums for the Olympics were built.
>>
>>1668571
Suggesting a train to connect to the northern beaches lmao.
There needs to be a train/metro line from Epping (Idk where they can put an extra station) through Parramatta to Hurstville.
If they want Sydney to have Parramatta and badgerys creek as major hubs our train lines should reflect it.
>>
>>1668831
I'll never understand why they canned the PERL, even if they were worried about "low ridership". If the idea was to make Paramatta a regional hub it's better to have the infrastructure in place now then you can expand upon it later as opposed to the current method of "in 10 years this line will be at full capacity. We will start workon increasing capacity in 10 years".
Also pissed off that the Armenian roach closed it down to turn it into a "light rail", i hate that whore so much i hope ataturk rises from the grave and comes to Australia to finish the job.
Also there needs to be a Bankstown - Hurstville link,
>>
>>1669233
just wait until badgery's creek. that's going to be an exciting 3rd city with 0 infrastructure, or better yet a tangle of bus lanes to create a super t-way.
>>
I have this irrational fear that the suburban rail loop will get ditched and will just be turned into more smartbuses or BRT
Is this likely to happen?
>>
>>1669762
Trains are only for places long overdue for a new rail line.
I reckon it'd be more light rail for places that should get a train.
Brt for places that should get light rail.
>>
>>1669762
Considering how popular it seems to be I doubt it unless the LNP install credlin as their overlord and meme her into premier for Jeff Kennet 2.0., angry menopausal woman edition
>>
>>1670183
I think the argument has been made that Melbourne has needed a ring route for a while to connect all the lines together in the outer suburbs
>>1670224
Why would they do that? She's a yank tier politician
>>
>>1670299
I didn't say it would ever happen i'm saying the only way the SRL would ever be cancelled is if it did happen lol
>>
>>1670302
the thought of it hasn't even crossed my mind until reading your post
>>
>>1668571
>I'll never forgive that armenian roach for fucking up the original metro plan I hope Azerbaijan anexes that shithole country and kills every armeniod

Whoa, sounding a little fixated there. Wouldn't want anything to happen to you
>>
>>1662028
average speed 80km/h
bloody hell are those trains moved by an Impulsoria locomotive?
>>
File: Hey!.jpg (50 KB, 474x505)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
what the fuck is it going to take to get a "very fast train" up in this cunt? also, why the fuck is it called that?
>>
File: p07rsvwr.jpg (175 KB, 1200x675)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
anyone in here watched the Great Australian Railway Journeys, with that Michael Portillo guy? if so what did you think of it?
>>
>>1660667
Sort of off topic but relates to transport:

Have any of you ever seen anyone on illegal escooters or fast throttle controlled ebikes ever get booked for riding one? The last few times I've been in the Sydney CBD there was a constant stream of food delivery guys flying by on ebikes going pretty fast even uphill, and most of them weren't peddling. Curious cause I'm thinking of building a fast ebike if cops aren't actually enforcing the rules
>>
>>1662096
The capital of New York state (home to the biggest city in America by population) is also an irrelevant little town. Don't forget in the eyes of many Washington DC is pretty much irrelevant and doesn't really have any tourist attractions that don't relate to politics
>>
>>1670702
Never seen anyone get booked for it, no. However, I don't live in Sydney
>>
>>1670702
I've never really seen them since I don't go to the CBD much, but remember that the throttle bikes are 200w continuous and not peak.
They could be outputting double that up hills.
Also ebike manufacturers underrate their parts so they can manufacture 1 bike and sell in areas with different restrictions.
>>
>>1670679
>We Ghan
>>
File: c5f.gif (1.14 MB, 250x250)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB GIF
>>1671558
>>
>>1671558
heh
>>
>>1670677
Apparently Albanese is Autistic for HSR in Australia but even if he was PM i doubt he'd be able to get it passed especially with all the boomer naysayers. Outside that it looks like all the states are looking at going their own way with HSR since the federal government doesn't wanna do jack shit about it so we get to look forward to the australian rail gauge fiasco 2: electric boogaloo
>>
File: 171_7157_595.jpg (62 KB, 595x397)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
i miss this lil nigga like you wouldn't believe
>>
File: hcmt.jpg (170 KB, 960x640)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
not enough HCMT hate ITT. step it up lads
gay fucking chinese dildos on wheels
>>
>>1672973
What city?
>>
File: Hitachi-train-42m-mfy.jpg (186 KB, 1024x772)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>1672982
melbourne
how far we've fallen
>>
Kiwi rail is shit and overpriced.
>>
>>1672973
SOUL
>>
>>1668658
it's depicting that it's a balloon loop station, but why they think the public would care vs just drawing it as a dead end is a mystery
>>
File: adelaide underground.png (166 KB, 598x438)
166 KB
166 KB PNG
What do you SAbros think of the proposed Adelaide underground link? Seems like a pretty smart idea to have the northern lines continue down south as opposed to terminating at central, although i guess you'd have to electrify the entire network before doing that
>>
File: 2021062714562000.jpg (428 KB, 1280x960)
428 KB
428 KB JPG
Heres the first of 31 more electric double decker builds under way for wellington, NZ.
>>
File: 2021062715033700.jpg (311 KB, 1280x960)
311 KB
311 KB JPG
>>1674390
Closely followed by 9 more
>>
File: 2021062714581800.jpg (368 KB, 1280x960)
368 KB
368 KB JPG
>>1674390
>>
>>1674390
>>1674395
>>1674397

Very cool. How does charging work on these? Is it just overnight and lasts all day or some type of constant charging system? Either way it’s cool to see buses finally get electrified
>>
>>1674401
These ones (190kwh) will opportunity charge a couple of times during the day. Theres an existing 350kw charger at island bay (Southern terminus for number 1 route) with another currently being installed at the main city interchange at thorndon another planned for johnsonville. The 10 already on the road since 2018 have 161kwh battery capacity so need a 10 minute charge about every 3 hours.

They could have a higher battery capacity, but at 190kwh they have about 1400kilos of battery in them. The earlier ones have 2600kg of battery and operate on an over weight permit. The newer ones won't need a permit.

There is a diesel to electric conversion under way at the moment by the same company building these ones, converting an existing euro6 diesel to EV. Its got 350kwh capacity because its 3 axle already so it can be a bit heavier. Those ones should be able to run all day on a charge but will need about a 100kw charger to recharge them between midnight and 5am when they are off the road.
>>
File: 2020080317350200.jpg (233 KB, 1280x960)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
>>1674401
This is how they connect to the opportunity charger, normally it has a cover over it this was just the prototype one.
>>
>>1674390
>Domestic manufacturing
Very cool
>>
File: images (19).jpg (38 KB, 678x452)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
angery
>>
>>1671558
kek
>>
File: 1617182237991.jpg (133 KB, 1106x1012)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>tfw no late trains going into the city
>>
>>1676291
just walk nigga lmoa
>>
Has the VIC government shelved metro 2? I know it's planned "for the future" but i don't understand why they're keen to go ahead with suburban rail loop while metro 2 is still TBA
>>
>>1674409
Why did they get rid of the trolley bus lines? Wellington already had fully electric infrastructure and they took it away.
>>
>>1674409
why cant the buses be hybrids?
>>
File: sydney metro.jpg (267 KB, 975x650)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
How many decades until we realize how big of a disaster this was?
>>
>>1672973
>>1672986
motherfucking hitachis
i can still smell the piss and feel the hot air on the frankston line
>>
>>1680486
>rouse hill
OH WHEN YA ROOF IS GETTING LOST BETWEEN THE LICHEN AND THE MOSS
>>
>>1680486
>Deliberately make tunnels too small for normal trains
>No way ever to fix it
200 IQ desu
>>
anyone here know what it's like working for metro as a driver? bit of a train autist so i wouldn't have to worry about it being boring, though ofc there's the risk of seeing gory suicides and shit hours
>>
>>1680977
if you're talking about sydney metro, you won't have a job
>>
>>1681271
I'd assume he's talking about melbourne metro trains
>>
>>1680876
>PERL is now impossible due to different train models
>"what should we do with the half built PERL line?"
>"uh just convert it to light rail"
BRAVO GLADYS
>>
File: seq high speed rail.jpg (92 KB, 1170x720)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
So if Brisbane wins the 2032 olympics what are the chances of an SEQ HSR network being built? It seems that the QLD government wants the olympics spread over the entirity of SEQ as opposed to just brisbane which will be nice since we can just use the existing commonwealth games facilities plus exisitng ones which are upgraded, the only problem being trying to ferry millions of visitors around the area to get to the different events. I know the federal government hates spending money on SEQ infrastructure projects but hopefully the pressure of an olympic success will strongarm them into giving us some money
>>
>>1684090
It'll probably just be a ipswich to brissy to goldy.
Realise that its overbudget and taking more time and cancel the other lines.
>>
>>1680868
>when ya morter isnt where it orter boie
>>
>>1665603
The curbs are often nice and wide in the older suburbs. Really comfy driving in off-peak hours. And I like having right turn lights unlike Victoria.
>>
>>1685075
Canberra is such a sad city, i've only ever been there a few times but every single time it just looks fucking dead and dreary
>>
>>1685141
Sleepy is nice desu. No swarms of normies getting in your way. That said, I've been to some real whacky shit in Canberra. Went to this ambient music performance inside an inflatable dome (pic related).
>>
>>1685141
Manuka is alright
>>
>QLD government announces GC light rail stage 4 down to coolongatta
>it ends across the road from Gold Coast airport instead of just outside the front entrance
The entire point of having direct rail access to an airport is so that you can step off the train/tram and be outside the front door of the airport, what's the point in inconveniencing travelers by having to make them walk an extra 10 minutes, carrying their luggage across a highway to the other side of the road to save a million or two???
>>
File: gold coast air port.png (1.76 MB, 1271x667)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB PNG
>>1687202
oh my mistake, it looks like they're terminating stage 4 a few blocks down from the airport so i guess in stage 5 they make it run to directly pass through the airport, but at that point why not go the whole hog and just make the current extension terminate at the airport? What's the point of ending it a few KM early when it's probably going to be at least a decade before stage 4 is even closed to being finished? Seems like a huge oversight if you ask me
>>
>the ghan costs $3000
>old crappy train
>seeing nothing but desert
>orient express from venice to london
>$3750
>24 hour butler service
>gorgeous european views
>much more comfy trains

Why are Australian long distance trains so dog shit?
>>
>>1687503
Because the Ghan line was a meme line built by john howard to try and win over the NT vote and nothing more
>>
>>1684642
THEN GIVE IT BACK THAT OLD APPEAL
>>
File: 1550310243424.png (43 KB, 644x800)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>1687503
>muh gorgeous european views
>>
>>1679874
Well yeah.... they could. But that would be the worst of both worlds, the same high upfront cost of an EV with all the ongoing costs of a diesel.
>>
>>1678856
I never worked on them, but a guy I work with (who was an operations manager for the company that ran them for 35+ years) said they were pretty unreliable. Of the 60 they had, there were rarely more than 40 serviceable at any one time. Also they couldn't run them on weekends because the linesmen who worked on the overhead lines were unionised and it was very expensive to have them on call outside of their normal hours.

Aside from that, it was a political decision by the council, the company that owned the trolleys were difficult to deal with and deliberately unhelpful so when the need arose to upgrade the substations (at the expense of the ratepayers) they chose the cheaper option that also took away NZbus monopoly on those routes in the city.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.