[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 55 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (1.6 MB, 1280x720)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
will protected intersections catch on?
>>
No, too much maintenance when they get curbed up. We don't drive faggy little cuckboxes like in europe in the US
>>
Take the narrow street pill.
>>
>>1657705
Yeah, retarded murricans drive farm truck-derived SUVs that can easily tow 5t vehicle.
>>
File: 1619641705817.jpg (40 KB, 478x328)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1657708
>Yeah, retarded murricans drive farm truck-derived SUVs that can easily tow 5t vehicle
>>
>>1657700
Adding in more phases will produce more congestion, as fewer cars can go through the intersection per unit time. This is of course the objective, making driving such a hassle people give up on it and "voluntarily" choose less ideal transportation choices like bicycles.
>>
>>1657700
protected from who, by who?
>>
Motorists will say 'how could I have seen a bike coming when Im turning right', then splatter you and leave a white bike on the sidewalk.
A box might be nice, but the correct thing is just pick a car to stay behind and go through the intersection as normal
>>
>>1657776
Yeah, i sometimes avoid roads where my city has been trying to make things more bike friendly because they do stupid expensive nice looking stuff that doesn't actually help. Unless it's a separate bike path, just act like a normal vehicle. On neighborhood roads and in heavy traffic cars are only going 20 anyway, so it's easy for me to keep up
>>
>>1657786
the 11th street bike lane was such a hard won battle; rich lifers there would get up and tear down fencing/move barrels, and park in the construction zone. Fucking pigs just let em do it, too.

Finally get it done, and it's a two-way lane on the East bound left lane.
First time I was on it, I didn't know it was finished and nearly hit another cyclist head the fuck on, and I'M the cyclist here! Car users aren't any smarter
>>
>>1657790
Eastbound right lane, sorry.
>>
>>1657725
in op's pic there are no more light phases for vehicles on the carriageway compared to a normal intersection. The burger enjoyer would have only to sacrifice his ability to turn right on red.
On the other hand vehicles on the cycle path have to wait an extra phase to turn left, which can be infuriating for the average lycra fan but a good compromise in safety for the average bicyclist.
You can even make pedestrians phases shorter as they have less road length to cross (crossings on the path are without lights)
>>1657730
>from who
cagers
>by who
kurbs and concrete
>>
>>1657790
Two way bike lanes on one side are absolutely restart tier, fuck whoever came up with that. If they are separate from a road with good crossings it works, but if it's on the road, and especially if it has those stupid concrete curbs between it and the road, you literally can't use it for getting around unless you are willing to do dumb dangerous shit like bunnyhopping into traffic
>>
>>1657812
I don't like when bike lanes get put in and CRS are told not to turn right on red and i don't even own a car. It's just stupid to make the cars wait there, and it doesn't help safety, because the ones who would turn without checking for peds and bikes will just ignore the sign anyway. It's just bike "infrastructure" meant to slow cars down without helping cyclists
>>
Bicyclists are only a sliver of total commuters, and given their entitlement and insufferable demeanor, should not be listened to or given any heed. Get a car.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.38 MB, 1280x720)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
As a cyclist I'm never gonna use a left turn that expects me to wait twice.
>>
File: Hovenring1600.jpg (495 KB, 1600x1065)
495 KB
495 KB JPG
>>1657700
this is much better
>>
>>1657700
Almost fucking died again because of one of these lanes, cager had no idea I was there and took a right turn at full speed in front of me
>>
File: deathersection.jpg (239 KB, 920x643)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>1657848
These lanes were desinged to kill cyclists.
>>
>>1657823
>t. just sharted in the 'mart
>>
>>1657812
The Longer pedestrian phase is an ADA accomodation for disabled people. No, you cannot make it shorter. Keep your politics away from pedestrians. You don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>1657888
It depends on the length they have to travel i think. Like for really long roads it's a super long does signal to let people on walkers make it across
>>
>>1657848
Its like they want you to get hit putting cars there to hide you from the road, it's absurd. There's one of these by me where they put up big concrete plant pots with fucking ferns in them that go above car height. I don't want to die because of a fern, but if you take the lane cars get all pissy. I just stopped riding on that road entirely and switched to a different street with no bike lane after they did that shit
>>
>>1657700 (OP)
fuck these sidewalk bubbles. keeps me from making right on reds when person in front of me wants to go forward.
keeps me from going forward when the person in front of me wants to turn right and waits most of the entire light cycle for pedestrians to cross the adjacent street.

i once waited three light cycles cause of that shit... and guess what, the bus behind me also had to wait three light cycles to get through that intersection. im a delivery driver so i realize i will never drive down that road again, but the bus and npc drivers will continue to get stuck there. fuck i love driving over sidewalks around fucking npc retard drivers.
>>
>>1657700
What's protected there? It's jus a normal intersection.
>>
>>1657836
Europe strikes again with good infrastructure.
>>
>>1657851
It's oneway, you can't turn left...
>>
>>1657700

not to be that guy, but this is already a staple in Europe, or NL at the very least.
Americans always ask the same questions but don't realize the easiest answer is to make roads less driver friendly. But that will never happen, so you guys are absolutely screwed
>>
>>1657993
>Right on red
Is this some sort of US disease?
But my personal local favorite is drivers who want to go left(against traffic), but fails to drive inside the crossing on green light, meaning they are now cockblocking their entire lane.
>>
>>1657993
>keeps me from making right on reds when person in front of me wants to go forward.

Every single lane road will do that, with or without bubbles for disabled pedestrians.
>>
>>1657848
You should teach people how to drive a car before giving them a driving license.

>>1657851
Who thought it's a good idea to force cyclists to ride on the left side of the road?
>>
>>1657700
not in the US. too many undesirables in cages and bikes who won't be able to follow the simple rules required for this type of thing to work
>>
>>1658042
>the easiest answer is to make roads less driver friendly
Europoors
>>
>>1658126
The car is pretty objectively a shit method of transportation for short distances within a city. You have to provide alternatives to not have your city turn into an unliveable traffic-congested hellhole, like good bicycle infrastructure and proper, clean, and affordable public transportation.
Unfortunately, neither of those things are very profitable, and they should be written off as a necessary expense by the government, funded by taxpayers, as a compromise to keep cities nice and liveable. But that is not something you will be able to sell to the average American.
>>
>>1658133
>The car is pretty objectively a shit method of transportation for short distances within a city
If it's an overcrowded shit city then sure. Thank god I don't live in one, not sure why anyone else would want to. There's always talks about options but if traffic is so bad clearly driving is no longer an option.
>>
>>1658085
>Every single lane road will do that, with or without bubbles for disabled pedestrians.
usually (IN WEST COAST USA) single lane roads are wide as fuck and also have a shoulder for parking. leaving room for people to make right-on-reds, unless traffic planners purposely block them with those sidewalk bubbles
>>
>>1658047
>But my personal local favorite is drivers who want to go left(against traffic), but fails to drive inside the crossing on green light, meaning they are now cockblocking their entire lane.
OH MY GOD THE STREET IS SO FUCKING WIDE , JUST SCOOT IN A LITTLE TO THE LEFT YOU NON-THINKING NPC DRIVER, I WANA THROW ROCKS AT PEOPLE WHO DO THAT. I WOULD YELL AT THEM BUT NO ONE KEEPS THEIR WINDOWS ROLLED DOWN, FAGGOTS
>>
>>1658033
They have lots of them where it's on the right, and people can still turn right through the lane, pic is just for illustration
>>
>>1657993
I don't like road diets either; not for any of the reasons you mentioned, but because motorists for some reason don't expect you to follow the curb line and just squish/run over you
Streets gotta always be narrow or fucking NEVER

>>1658047
Actually full retard if you don't believe in right on red

>>1658087
>You should teach people how to drive a car before giving them a driving license
Agreed to a certain extent. Until we actually give a shit about public transport in this country, I feel fucking bad about actually have license standards, because you know who will and won't have a hard time with that.
Like as a kiddo, I got told I wouldn't be hired because I had a state ID, not a drivers license. Shouldn't matter, but try fighting that in court when you can't even get there. Doesn't matter if it's illegal discrimination or not. You're not winning

>>1658088
>equality =/= equity
No, it does not make any rational sense, nor real life sense, for cyclists to behave exactly as cars

>>1658140
You can ALWAYS drive, if you're fat and lazy and scared enough to do so. Enjoy paying for parking and walking farther than had ya just rode yer bike or took the trolley, boo hoo

>>1658145
That's like the fucking problem, though, dude. In my old ass east coast city, I feel comfortable riding on damn near every road I'm allowed on; traveling the country in the semi truck and riding throughout the midwest were everything is big? DANGER DANGER DANGER
>>
File: soi.webm (2.71 MB, 640x358)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB WEBM
>>1658266
>In my old ass east coast city, I feel comfortable riding on damn near every road I'm allowed on; traveling the country in the semi truck and riding throughout the midwest were everything is big?
>DANGER DANGER DANGER
>>
>>1658285
Are you retarded or just fat and never ridden a bike at speed?
Where there is DEFINITELY not enough room, especially if there's parking on one side or the other, you're giving a cager a choice between settling the fuck down, or dead to rights, smack running you over. Most people, generally, will not actually kill you on purpose (in the their mind)
Now, when there is a little bit of room, enough room to make it seem like you can just jet by the cyclist, that's when cagers try retarded shit, and that's why cyclists get clipped.

Not sure how you get onions from truck driver, but alright, bud. Get on your bike.
>>
>>1657836
Aesthetic, sure, and great for a location where you can finance one and have land space to put one in, but it's a terrible model for 90% of intersections.
>>
>>1658126
The Euro is worth more than the dollar.
>>
>>1658484
Your point being?
>>
File: 1200px-BMW_G07_IMG_0439.jpg (253 KB, 1200x797)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>1657705
>this is considered a cuckbox in america
holy fuck how fat do you have to be?
>>
File: penn av DC.jpg (107 KB, 1000x750)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>1658087
>Who thought it's a good idea to force cyclists to ride on the left side of the road?
wait til you see this
>>
>>1659378
You don't speak for us you foul mouthed europoor
>>
>>1659423
>a golf is a cuckbox
hahahahaha small cock yanks can't fathom the fact that big dick EVROPEANS don't have to buy a glorified semi truck to feel some purpose in life
>>
>>1659758
You'll be a woman soon.
>>
>>1659809
Please man don't project your sexual desires on an anonymous user of a Cambodian basket weaving platform.
>>
>>1657700
Those cars on the sides are parked right?? Because if not holy shit traffic jam. You really expect people to merge there?
>>
>>1657815
These only work on one-way streets.
>>
>>1659809
shut the fuck up dumb gabacho
>>
>>1657831
You're welcome to not use it. Infrastructure like this is fantastic and makes turning so much easier, as long as you're willing to wait an extra 10 seconds when you turn left.
In cities that have it, if you do decide to not use it be prepared to get honked at or run over because cars will not expect you to be pulling out in front of them in the way your would have to. It's your choice
>>
>>1659820
yes they are parked, and you are retarded for somehow thinking they might not be
>>
File: file.png (728 KB, 751x525)
728 KB
728 KB PNG
>>1659876
One can never bee too sure heh
>>
File: shart.jpg (140 KB, 673x789)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>1659820
>merge
>>
>>1659896
What is the proper English word for it? Here we call it zipsovanie
>>
>>1657705
They won't get curbed if you put spikes on them
>>
>>1657836
>roundabout for peds and cycles up top
>4 way clusterfuck down below
why?
>>
>>1663890
Because fuck cagers. Although if I had to regularly ride up the ramp to the ring in my heavy-as-fuck roadster I would imagine the architect going "fuck cyclists".
>>
File: 1622609328876.jpg (165 KB, 739x803)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>1658133
>The car is pretty objectively a shit method of transportation for short distances within a city.
Car is objectively best value for passenger:
Goes door to door
Fast
Can carry heavy luggage
Protected from elements
No waiting in the rain
Comfortable personal space

Cars and their infrastructure are expensive indeed, but this price provides unmatched value. Public transportation that approaches car turns into personal vehicle itself.
>>
>>1657851
Thats what you get you lycra wearing faggots
>>
>>1657700
No, I like turning right on red
>>
>>1657705
You drive things to help you compensate.
>>
File: 1594750238218.jpg (399 KB, 756x940)
399 KB
399 KB JPG
>>1663944
>Goes door to door
Only if you provide sufficient parking spaces in front of every door, effectively turning your town into a parking lot wasteland.
>Fast
Only if not everyone's using it at the same time.
>>
>>1667569
It’s faster though even with everyone using it.
>>
>>1667569
>>
>>1667581
>towns actually accounting for public transportation manage to create efficient public transportation
Color me suprised!
>>
>>1657836
looks wasteful desu
>>
File: 20210611_160054.jpg (1.82 MB, 3264x1836)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
Waste of money for the upkeep, we never have cyclists and yet these stupid islands always get curbed up because utility vehicles barely fit. I think with a few more accidents these islands will get removed or slimmed a bit.
>>
File: download.jpg (56 KB, 500x500)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1667648
>>
>>1667677
It's funny because those green shrubs were recently trimmed, they grow tall and wide hiding the cyclists so they're more likely get clipped at the intersection. Stupid design, thicc bollards would suffice
>>
>>1657700
Those curbs are nothing for my automobile. It will eat them for breakfast, lunch AND dinner.
>>
>>1663944
This. If automobiles are managed adequately there isn't anything better. Poorfags can only afford a bike and rope anyway.
>>
>>1657700

>protected intersections

Are they expected to see you and stop while they are in the process of turning right?

It is not possible. The cager brain will only respond reliably to the characteristic gait & speed of a pedestrian pushing the bike along. There is no other safe way to travel perpendicular to traffic.

The big advantage of that picture, when the car driver opens the right side door it will not be into bike traffic, but usually that is the left side door anyway
>>
>>1657831
the issue isn't the turn itself its competing with moving traffic to move 2+ lanes over to the left to get into the turn lane in the first place
>>
>>1657700
>bike lane on sidewalk
This cancer needs to die. Peds are way more dangerous to bikers than slow moving cars.
>>
>>1658033
You can see on the next block up where the turning lane intersects with the bike lane and it's clearly marked enough to avoid collision as long as you are not a dick. Additional the bikes have a different signal than the turning cars (which the bikes ignore).
>>
>>1658491
Ameripoors live in a 3rd world country.
>>
>>1667581
At the end it all comes down to profitability. If the upkeep of a car is more expensive than the public transportation and the possible lost time, people will put the car down and get on the bus. This however needs a clean and efficient public transportation network.
>>
>>1671442
It is not on the sidewalk.
There's a curb and trees to separate the sidewalk and the cyclepath just you'd normally have between the sidewalk and the carriageway
>>
>>1657700
As a bicycle rider I would hate riding in this. I like open roads with no bottlenecks and obstructions. Pointlessly stressful and unenjoyable. I would rather just have an unprotected road with a wide shoulder
>>
>>1671757
This , just seems like way more stopping and starting and getting stuck behind other cyclists
>>
>>1660229
merge is a perfectly appropriate word
>>
>>1659378
The singlemomobile.
>>
File: elizabetes_iela.png (1.37 MB, 1280x800)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
>>1657815
what's worse is a single one-way bike lane on a one-way street in the direction of traffic. we have a few of these here, and I see cyclists riding on them in the opposite direction daily. I've grown tired of corking them and explaining how retard they are, endangering themselves and every time. why wouldn't they ride on the opposite side pavement (riding in pavements is legal here) like I would - it's not a perfect choice but the most sane thing to do if you have to take a street like this.
of course, the biggest retards here are the city planners who made these lanes. why couldn't they had used their brains and made either a wider two-way bike lane (if the width of the street allows for that) or at least a bike lane in the opposite direction and none in the direction of traffic, as some narrower one way streets in Amsterdam are made.
>>
>>1672519
*endangering themselves and everyone riding in the correct direction, every time.
>>
>>1663944
aye, but we need smaller cars both us and eu, these things are getting bigger by the year, generally speaking a toyata corolla should suffice for the general population
>>
>>1670293
>driving FCA multipla variants
>>
>>1657700
at the point where you're putting a bike lane on every path, you'd be better off having bike only roads during certain hours, or permanently.
>>
>>1657707
How the fuck would two wagons pass each other? There's not enough room even for two carts side by side.
Did they have one-way streets back then as well?
>>
>>1672871
minor roads didn't have sidewalks, without them two carriages could pass each other. Of course the pleb had to get out of the way if he didn't want to get whipped
>>
>>1657812
>sacrifice his ability to turn right on red
Not really. Right on red has to yield to traffic approaching from the left. This includes cycles. No different than it is now.
OP's picture shows a protected area for cycles to wait, blocked from the right turning vehicles by markings or even curbs. Cars turn right (on red) while cycles wait in their box for the signal. Cars have to wait to turn right on green until the bicycle box clears out. Same as it is for bicycles (and pedestrians) on the right going straight through. If the protected island is wide enough, one car turning right can pull into the intersection and stop before the bike lane but get their tail end out of the through traffic lane.
>>
I think we just need to accept that cars and bicycles are incompatible modes and transport, so banning bicycles from public roadways is the only real solution.
>>
File: 1514249805792.png (694 KB, 567x545)
694 KB
694 KB PNG
>>1657700
only in faggy cities like Portland and Seattle

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.