[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 70 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]


[Advertise on 4chan]


File: 1_RZ71X-XHZpaYPJOZGMRyag.jpg (2.03 MB, 4000x2666)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
why is tokyo's planning so good?
why didn't american cities, particularly new ones on the west coast, take cues from tokyo?
>>
File: walk to the shops.png (859 KB, 867x419)
859 KB
859 KB PNG
>>1650674
houses too small, now THIS is more like it
>>
Most people aren't weebs OP
>>
>>1650695
>anime website
>>
>>1650674
>why didn't american cities, particularly new ones on the west coast, take cues from tokyo?
They do, and they are called "projects". See how those turned out?
>>
>>1650699
That's a demographic problem rather than urban planning
>>
>>1650700
If your plan intentionally ignores relevant information that would make it unworkable then it isn't a very good plan.
>>
File: 1906 San Francisco fire.jpg (451 KB, 1600x931)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
>>1650674
>>
File: firebombing of Tokyo.jpg (408 KB, 1617x1166)
408 KB
408 KB JPG
>>1650708
>>
>>1650674
that looks like a wealthy area, like shimokita or yokohama. most of tokyo is miserable dehumanizing hive apartments and general urban sprawl
>>
>>1650674
>no footpaths
do they really?
>>
>>1650882
Yes, anon. It's a mixed-use pathway. You're meant to walk using the whole road, or drive *really* slowly until you get to a "real" road.
>>
>>1650674

35.567639, 139.709520
>>
>>1650674
>why is tokyo's planning so good?

Because it regularly gets destroyed
>>
>>1650674
>new ones on the west coast,
Almost all American cities were laid out within +/-100 years of 1850.

Most people in West Coast cities were also from the Eastern US, not Japan.

>>1650674
Japan didn't look like this in 1850. It was a bunch of one-story fucc sheds crammed together. They didn't have horses so no carriages, meaning the pathways were only wide enough to walk on.
>>
>>1650940
A lack of living space expresses implied poverty
>>
>>1650729
how is yokohama a wealthy area?
>>
Because Tokyo didn’t plan everything around cars.
American cities did, and now they have the traffic problems you’ll find in LA
>>
>>1650940
>They didn't have horses
Yes they did
>>
>>1650699
>>1650700
>>1650706
The projects are isolated commieblockesq "towers in the park" not at all the same as the OP.
>>
>>1650674
Tokyo was completely rebuilt after 1945.
>>
I just want zoning like this in my local area
And removal of any laws or codes that stop traditional architecture with traditional materials from being made
>>
>>1650957
lots of nice single family dwellings, open spaces, parks, and other luxuries.
>>
Theres a lot of factors like zoning codes, but in a very generalized way, its car centric urbanization. Japan has plenty of pedestrian roads with enough density to support pocket businesses and walkability.
>>
>>1650980
[citation needed]
Go watch some old videos of Tokyo. There are no horses.
>>
Small, pedestrian oriented streets and mid-rise housing
>>
Japan gives less of a fuck about what goes next to what.

Farmers, car factories, houses, schools, shops, and offices can all be with in walking distance.
>>
>>1650729
Yes, same for Osaka, however this kind of urban planning is very well spread in the suburbs of every city, and is also allied to very cheap lodgings, because it's Japan, and they like to do the same shit over and over everywhere
It is however incompatible with the center of big cities, which do ressemble more US cities in planning. With more small streets, convenience, cleanliness, and safety.
>>
>>1650882
Really wasn't an issue when I was there, people drive slowly in these parts and you never feel like you're gonna get runover
Pretty comfy even after a while
>>
>>1650674
Wrong question.
The right one is "why urban and transport planning outside East Asia is so bad?"
And murricans are ignorant fucks, brainwashed by "murrica numbah wan" bullshit.
>>
>>1650674
it got bombed into oblivion and instead of abandoning trains like everyone else did, they doubled down in the reconstruction

maybe we should carpet bomb LA with napalm or preferably nukes?
>>
>>1650980
Not in the context of urban planning, they didn’t, since riding horses was reserved for muh warrior caste and all horse powered transportation dates to the meiji era when they just copied foreigners
>>
>>1652988
Private japanese railway companies used land value capture long before WW2 bombings.
>>
>>1652988
>maybe we should carpet bomb LA with napalm or preferably nukes?
This, but unironic.
>>
File: =9=0-=9-0.jpg (1.05 MB, 1789x917)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>1650729
>. most of tokyo is miserable dehumanizing hive apartments and general urban sprawl
Most of the Tokyo is suburban sprawl. Seriously check google maps.
Japan is America only everything is hilariously small.
>>
>>1653676
>Most of the Tokyo is suburban sprawl
>Japan is America only everything is hilariously small.
Gigacope of amerilard.
Even the most suburban parts of Kanto region are much more urban than murrican downtowns.
I don't even talk about areas near train stations.
>>
File: 35463456.jpg (362 KB, 1737x871)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
>>1653679
I dont know how people can write such bollocks in current year. You can fact check with your own eyes. Streets of detached single family homes, this is not a city. This is a village.
And everything is fucking tiny and cramped. Hope you are not claustrophobic.
>>
>>1653649
>implying I was being ironic
>>
File: 309451832_5c7b91d189_o.jpg (1.67 MB, 2587x1936)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>1653706
Why do you lie, talking piece of human lard?
Why you didn't mention that this "village" is 1-2km away from picrelated?
>>
File: 4353245.jpg (461 KB, 1759x873)
461 KB
461 KB JPG
>>1653711
So commercial downtown vs residential suburbia.
>>
File: shiodome.jpg (389 KB, 1920x1080)
389 KB
389 KB JPG
>>1653716
> I ignore the fact that anyone can walk from "suburbia" to "downtown" in less than 20 minutes.
> I ignore the fact that there are many rapid transit stations in 10-15 minute walk
> I ignore the fact that between "downtown" and "suburbia" there are many mid-rises.
Being american means being retarded.
>>
File: 4567456.jpg (609 KB, 1561x805)
609 KB
609 KB JPG
>>1653720
Yeah japan is tiny i got it. It doesn't make their residential housing less of suburbia.

This is how real fucking city looks like. Got it?
>>
>>1653721
> vertical suburbia
> city
gigacringe x gigacope
>>
File: q4231432.jpg (468 KB, 1645x857)
468 KB
468 KB JPG
>>1653724
>peasants are seething
>>
Is Tokyo actually well planned though, or does it merely still function because the Japanese are spineless and willing to make shit tons of individual sacrifices to keep the machine oiled, like shoving themselves into sardine can subways and living in cardboard closets?
>>
>>1653784
Cringe.
At least you could post commieblocks from Singapore or South Korea, they aren't bad, but instead you posted subhuman hives from a cold racemixed shithole known as russia.
>>
>>1650674
Is Tokyo even planned i always assumed it grew organically like European cities?
Roads with no sidewalks in inner cities like that would never work where i am because bad drivers
>>
>>1654095
What do you think looking at this? >>1653677
It was chaotically build with no planing.
>>
>>1654095
There was no planning, but city government had no intention to demolish "slums" and instead provided them with utilities.
Also, there are some planned suburbs with commieblocks, like Tama New Town.
>>
>>1653677
Is there seriously only 30 or so tall buildings in the central city (that stand out) in one of the most populated cities on earth?
>>
File: qweqweqw.jpg (960 KB, 2045x879)
960 KB
960 KB JPG
>>1654144
Check for yourself.
Tokyo is flat like best girls.
And mostly build up by 2 stories single family detached houses.
>>
>>1653677
If you can walk everywhere and take trains, its not suburban sprawl. Don't be a nonce, suburban sprawl is when theres zero mixed use and you NEED a car to do anything. You dont need towers for walkability
>>
>>1653721
>>1653784
Zero mixed use or pedestrian activity. This is just more soulless suburbia, but with no back yard
>>
>>1654250
>Zero mixed use
theirs shops at the bottom of the block on the left
>>
>>1654250
>Zero mixed use or pedestrian activity.
All these buildings ground floors are commercial use.
As for pedestrian activity it looks likes something like that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxKr_5osSzo
>>
>>1654317
> dirt
> noise
> 2 lanes of parking
> lots of alcohol shops
>>
>>1650678
What's the problem from walking 1 hour to get your weekly shopping?
>>
>>1654151
Fuck I'm sure I'd love tokyo. The perfect city for aun autist /walker/ like me.
>>
>>1650674
Tokyo's urban planning is abysmal, I hate it here and want out
I miss European cities with their well spaced tenements and green spaces
>>
>>1650961
This. The place that based everything around walking/horseback like Europe/Japan is Boston. Boston is by far the most Japanese/European city (planning wise) you will find in the USA.
>>
what is the point of shitty 2 story houses with no backyard on a 5x10m plot of land
that seems like urban sprawl for ants
>>1651118
heavy industry should be separated by a zone where construction is forbidden, preferably a forest
>>
>>1656662
> your own house in urban area not far from train station
Creates a short circuit in amerilard's brain.
>>
>>1650882
Yeah and they're two way streets too. Japanese are fucking SHIT drivers for the most part but I have to respect how they can navigate two way narrow streets like that. I fucking SHIT myself when I end up on narrow streets like that.
>>
>>1650674
In the mid-20th century gas was dirt cheap and cars were not much more. The ideology of America was Los Angeles as a model city. A confederation of suburbs linked by wide freeways, surrounded by unperturbed nature, each family their own plot of land. They saw it as better for human psychology (they also thought strapping women with PMS to gurneys and waterboarding them with LSD for two weeks would cure her of her monthly irritability, so they weren’t too bright)
>>
>>1658593
It would be ok if suburban cancer didn't spread outside US, but...
>>
>>1650709
A literal blank slate to work with lol
>>
>>1654244
This. It's very easy to get around Japanese cities with walking and public transport alone.
>>
>>1661423
Still doesn’t mean it isn’t sprawly. And dense sprawl is far more soul-crushing than low-rise sprawl, just look at Mexico City. All the density in the world but there’s still massive sprawl. The only difference is you can’t have a house 10 miles away from the city center, just another tiny apartment.
>>
>>1661445
> amerimutt copes again
>>
>>1661445
Sounds like 'sprawl' is just a buzzword to demonize something a person or group of people finds personally distasteful
>>
>>1650674
Very few U.S. cities even have planning departments or committees. The best you can hope for is zoning committees. Some don't even have that. Wanna know why the belt loop system is so popular? Because older cities in the states made them, and then new cities literally just copied them because they didn't know what else to do.
>>
>>1661445
>Mexico City
>density
WRONG
>>
>>1650674
American cities are planned around milking car people for as much money as possible through taxes and other car expenses.
>>
>>1650708
So everyone are so fascinated by the smoke downtown that no one notices the house that just had an entire exterior wall blown clean off.
>>
>>1661550
>Very few U.S. cities even have planning departments or committees.
I disagree, most do (and a lot of cities/counties are under the juridiction of an area planning commission). Ultimately planners don't have any power, any idea or scheme has to be executed by politicians in some manner
>>
>>1651112
Old enough for you?
>>
>>1656669
what are you even talking about? because this has nothing to do with what I wrote
>>
>>1650678
man 3 miles of flat road calls for a beater bike with front and rear milk crates to do your shopping.
>>
>>1661732
Individually... maybe. But if you have a job and a family, going to the grocery store every day or two is just a time consuming chore.
>>
the best feature of japanese district is their multifunctionality and walkability
so it's no wonder americans are amazed but that doesn't make it amazing
>>
>>1652988
>maybe we should carpet bomb LA with napalm or preferably nukes?
youre onto something there anon, digits confirm
>>
>>1652988
>maybe we should carpet bomb LA with napalm or preferably nukes?
The global IQ would increase exponentially so yes.
>>
>>1654408
I thought it was really dense US cities like some parts of NYC and SF (disregarding their other issues and focusing only on layout/urban planning). I've never been to Boston though.
>>
File: tetokawa(1).png (1.45 MB, 1066x700)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
>this is what weebs consider great planning
>>
>>1663161
i live in nyc and i wouldn't say "urban planning" is something that's done well here. it only works because things are relatively close and the transit kind of works. it gets comfier if you actually enjoy walking or riding a bike.
>>
>>1663351
what do you consider great planning?
>>
>>1663351
jumbled clusterfucks are based
that neighborhood has a fuckload of personality
>>
>>1663351
that's not even japan. is that the joke?
>>
>>1663364
what do you mean
>>
>>1663351
Yes, it's great.
Cope seethe dilate.
>>
File: 1552246824719.png (1.43 MB, 1084x677)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB PNG
>>1663561
>
>>
>>1663602
Kills amerilard.
>>
>>1650674
Because japs dont have comically bad zoning laws
>>
>>1650674
the average jap couldnt afford a small car until like the 80s. they had a huge percentage of the population commuting by foot/bike/public transport well into the modern age. i think in america it was obvious that the automobile was king by the 30s. most of the country has been built since then, and its optimized for cars and not anything else
>>
>>1654144
yeah. japan is extremely earthquake prone so skyskrapers are extremely costly to build. that's why it's not nearly what some people make it out to be. it has intense sprawl of shorter buildings. if you look you'll notice most japanese apartment buildings arent even half the size of soviet commblock apartments, the soviets didnt have earthquakes to worry about
>>
>>1663699
That plus there's a superstition-slash-consumerist trend against living in a house that another family has previously lived in. Many modern Japanese houses have piss-poor build quality, are drafty and shaky, and are only designed to last 20 years, after which you tear it down and build a new house.
>>
>>1663602
honestly what is the problem with this? It's cool as fuck.
>>
File: 2kki.gif (18 KB, 250x250)
18 KB
18 KB GIF
>>1663796
he has brain rot from living in a shitty suburban mcmansion and having to spend thousands of dollars maintaining the lawn while bleeding his city dry of funds.
>>
File: snapshot(6).png (1.28 MB, 1018x586)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB PNG
>that house? it will be gazillion yen
>>
>>1664555
Or 3-5 times cheaper than sharturban shed.
>>
>>1650697
It's not though is it
>>
>>1664713
Why do you think Transportation is under Japanese Culture on the front page?
>>
>>1664533
>having to spend thousands of dollars maintaining the lawn
Exaggeration

>while bleeding his city dry of funds.
Untrue
>>
File: home20depot20cat.png (565 KB, 652x468)
565 KB
565 KB PNG
>>1664742
Sprawled out car centric areas have massive wasteful land because lots that are less dense and typically have majority parking lot as their space, are much less of an income maker. Single family homes are not very efficient at maintaining either, on top of that. The spread out infrastructure such as electric poles and water systems are much more vast, easier to have fall to ruin, and in general cost more to maintain or even worse, completely replace. It also makes providing plumbing, sewage and electricity is far more costly. And look at America if you want to see how much of a waste of money lawn care is. I work at a garden center and it is insane how much money people pay for 30 bags of mulch.
>>
>>1664755
>Sprawled out car centric areas have massive wasteful land
That's your opinion

>Single family homes are not very efficient at maintaining either, on top of that.
Every structure on Earth needs maintenance, even muh missing middle and high rise apartments.

>The spread out infrastructure such as electric poles and water systems are much more vast, easier to have fall to ruin, and in general cost more to maintain or even worse, completely replace.
This is cope. Putting in power lines and water pipes over/through open land is always going to be cheaper than burying it in an urban area. Maintaining the same infrastructure in a rural area is also easier and cheaper than working on buried utilities under city streets.

>It also makes providing plumbing, sewage and electricity is far more costly.
You have said this over and over and it's just not true. Feel free to post that cherry-picked jpg again though, I know you want to.

>And look at America if you want to see how much of a waste of money lawn care is.
>I work at a garden center and it is insane how much money people pay for 30 bags of mulch.
Stop projecting your fear of failure onto others. If they want to pay for mulch, that is not your problem. You just want to control other people who live in a manner that you personally dislike. Luckily you will NEVER have any power.
>>
>>1664806
>Putting in power lines and water pipes over/through open land is always going to be cheaper than burying it in an urban area
Retard doesn't know anything about operational expenditures.

>Maintaining the same infrastructure in a rural area is also easier and cheaper than working on buried utilities under city streets.
Retard doesn't know that plumbing and sewage pipes are buried in suburbs too and electric poles can be easily installed in cities.

>You have said this over and over and it's just not true.
Retard didn't even bother to prove his claim.
>>
>>1663602
What's the issue?
Small street, no major traffic through it so it's calm and you could park your bike there
Comfy af if you ask me
>>
>>1661647
They didn't use them to travel in cities though, it's strictly for military use
Nobles were carried in palanquins
>>
>>1664816
>Retard
>Retard
>Retard
Simply not an argument
>>
>>1666700
now ignore the word "retard" and re-read the post
>>
>>1666804
Nope
>>
>>1651019
This is the correct answer. single use zoning is the bane of thriving cities. The correct way to do city planning is to stop doing fucking city planning.
>>
>>1667220
this is what happens when you have no city planning. stop pretending that "letting the market decide" is a good thing. no need to go to the other extreme.
>>
>>1667302
what am I looking at?
>>
File: 50.09049, 19.90584.png (2.93 MB, 1227x834)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB PNG
>>1667336
poland
>>
>>1667347
this is communist city planning.
>>
File: 1965-1996.png (2.47 MB, 1099x1304)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB PNG
>>1667355
what the fuck are you talking about. you're clueless.
>>
>>1667360
shoo now, Stalin.
>>
>>1667364
If you can't see the difference between this >>1667360 commie planning and this >>1667347 post-comie lack of planning then you're a blind idiot.
Public opinion was against strict planning after the fall of communism and this resulted in spatial chaos where you don't even have streets planned out and gated communities.
>>
>>1667370
there is no appreciable difference.
>>
>>1667377
>there is no difference between centrally planning a big housing district and each landover building whatever they please on their strip of farmland
>>
>>1667388
it's their land.
there is no appreciable difference because it's still mostly commie planning.
>>
>>1667396
you're not making any sense.
>>
>>1667370
>There’s no difference between city planning and Soviet Economic Planning
So what you’re saying is before Stalin people just sorta started doing things hoping they had a finish?
>>
>>1667409
no one implied that anywhere
>>
>>1667347
Why not just walk?
>>
>>1667302
Picrelated isn't Japan, therefore, your post is irrelevant.
>>
>>1667457
his >>1667220 post didn't mention japan either
but it was made by an incoherent person.
>yeah let's have these kinds of zones
>at the same time stop doing city planning
>>
File: 1610660864807.jpg (30 KB, 694x170)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1667477
What I meant is that in japan, zoning laws are never just for a single thing, and instead are essentially just a "maximum nuisance allowance," as it were, instead of the city planners having to micromanage exactly what gets put where. for example, you can't build high rise commercial buildings in an area zoned for low density residential, however there's absolutely nothing stopping you from doing the opposite. Additionally, there's far fewer restrictions when it comes to what kinds of housing you can build in various areas, for example in America you have huge swathes of land dedicated purely to detached single family housing, but in japan the same low density residential area can house single family, duplex, and even small apartment buildings.
Personally I'd prefer that they be even more hands off but it's certainly still worlds better than the Euclidian housing schemes we get in America.
https://urbankchoze.blogspot.com/2014/04/japanese-zoning.html
this link explains it better than I could, and I suggest that you read it.
>>
>>1667524
I'm not disagreeing. Just saying there is great deal of difference between what Japan does and actual lack of planning.
>>
>>1650674
unironically because it gets knocked down every 50 or so years
>>
>why didn't sparsely populated country with cheap land take urban development cues from the super dense island nation where 90% of the population is confined to the few flat valleys available
who knows bro
>>
>>1650729
Unironically looks like New York City
>>
>>1653716
This architecture reminds me of Sao Paulo, except it's clean and well kept, but still kinda bland
>>
>>1661647
Edo period Japan still had its own laws and regulations. It actually wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that horses were simply banned from parts of cities.
Note that Rickshaws are human powered, not horse driven
>>
File: 1623582632250.jpg (149 KB, 900x1200)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>
>>1668155
You were doing good with comfy streetcar suburbs, then you suddenly decided to let some Jewish speculators decide how you live.





Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.