[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 22 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

21 million people live in this dense, rapidly-growing region.
There is no reason you couldn't run high-speed rail here.
>>
>>1647190
Hard part is if you try to use eminent domain here you'll get shot
>>
>>1647190
A high speed train here would make bank. You would literally be printing money. I would imagine it elevated above I35. Not too much imminent domain there
>>
>>1647191
Nah, more like the property speculation would be crazy.

People like Robert Francis O'Rourke's in laws would block it in courts. Until they can buy the land. Then sell to the government at a profit.
>>
>>1647193
>I would imagine it elevated above I35.
Bad idea
>>
>>1647190
"Texas Central Railway" is being built right now, they've overcome most legal challenges.
https://www.texascentral.com
>>
>>1647191
Nah they use it all the time for freeways lol
>>
>>1647216
>Last press release: September 2020
>>
>>1647190
>muh HSR
it's not ever going to work in shartmerica. We've discussed this a thousand times before, kindly stop it with these incessant dead-on-arrival cookie cutter threads.
and if somehow they did decide to build it, you would pay for it out of your taxes, and you would die before it was completed.
>>
File: Texas-Central-HS.jpg (424 KB, 900x500)
424 KB
424 KB JPG
Private railroad company Texas Central has signed a $1.6bn contract with Kiewit Infrastructure South (Kiewit) and Mass. Electric Construction (MEC) for the deployment of core electrical systems for a proposed high-speed train project from Dallas to Houston, US.
The scope of the contract covers the deployment of systems such as safety and systems elements, signalling and communications equipment.
Texas Central stated that these systems are a significant element of the N700S Shinkansen technology.
The new project will be modelled on the Japanese Tokaido Shinkansen high-speed rail system, which is run by the Central Japan Railway Company (JRC).
The selection of this system was driven by its status as ‘one of the safest and most punctual train systems in the world’, noted the railroad company.
Texas Central CEO Carlos Aguilar said: “Kiewit and MEC are national leaders in installing complex and large-scale electric systems and have long track records of delivering high-quality rail systems safely and effectively.
“Combining their experience with the safety of an integrated system is essential to the operation of the Texas Central Railroad. Signing this contract is the next step in making the Texas Central Railroad the first high-speed rail system to be implemented in the United States.”
During the six-year construction phase, the proposed train project is expected to generate 17,000 direct job opportunities.
https://www.railway-technology.com/news/texas-central-signs-bullet-train/
>>
>>1647216
It's not being built right now at all. There is zero site prep, let alone any actual construction occuring.
>>
>>1647249
Texas Central is a partnership between private investors, JR Central and Renfe

They got the authorization from the FRA to run the N700S shinkansen and already have 70% of the land purchased, all is missing is some few ranch owners who are disputing the eminent domain claims.

>This final rule of particular applicability (RPA) establishes safety standards for the Texas Central Railroad (TCRR or the railroad) high-speed rail (HSR) system. These standards are not intended for general application in the railroad industry, but apply only to the TCRR system planned for development in the State of Texas.
>On August 30, 2019, FRA granted TCRR's rulemaking petition (petition), which was submitted April 16, 2016.[1] The petition proposed comprehensive safety requirements for the application of JRC's Tokaido Shinkansen technology, and its associated design and engineering principals.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/11/03/2020-20388/texas-central-railroad-high-speed-rail-safety-standards
>>
File: bluebonnets.jpg (583 KB, 1499x1500)
583 KB
583 KB JPG
>>1647190
As long as it comes with a police force to throw the niggers from the Houston amtrak station into ditches in central Texas I'm all for it. Imagine a bullet train running through pic related - the pinnacle of civilization.

Wish Texas would do a California / Arizona style state water project, too. It's the only state with enough water and enough desert to make it worthwhile that hasn't done one.
>>
>>1647231
>people will pay to take a plane from Houston to Dallas, including an hour of getting groped by the TSA
>but fat amerilards wouldn't pay to take a nice roomy train from Houston to Dallas because it runs on the ground
>>
>>1647258
That's sort of what I was getting at
>>
>>1647258
Do people really fly such a short distance? That's the most American thing ever.
>>
>>1647191
Are Texans still trying to act tough after the whole world say them fall into a helpless panic over a tiny bit of snow and ice?
>>
>>1647249
>>1647252
Yeah but they haven't turned the first shovel of dirt
>>
>>1647222
So you need to sneak in the freeway and then put rail down the middle of it.
>>
File: size of texas.jpg (148 KB, 1464x1108)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>1647263
I've personally taken that flight several times. It's actually quite popular - as I recall there are about 10 flights daily between the two. Southwest Airlines even got their start doing intra-state flights in Texas - it's that lucrative a market. The time savings is worth it for a lot of businessmen; the greater opportunity to work on the go afforded by the railroad is likely to be very attractive to them. If they don't get cucked by landowners along the route this project is unironically going to make the people behind it rich.
Also,
>daily reminder
>>
>>1647190
didn't realize that many people lived in the triangle.
learn something new everyday
>>
>>1647278
The keep going to court over eminent domain, still dealing some land owners
>>
>>1647286
>hurrrrrr texus is big
Fuck off. You wouldn't fly from Leeds to Cardiff (for example), you'd drive without a second thought.
>>
Considering how fast all 3 cities are growing, they’re gonna need rail really soon.
Austin finally got around to approving a rail expansion
>>
>>1647380
or you could take the train, which is a perfectly viable option considering the (mostly) functional rail network in the UK.
>>
Why do people travel from Dallas to Houston so much? I literally never leave my city
>>
>>1647286
wow texas is smaller than I thought
>>
There is a reason why you can't: lack of commuter and regional rail.
>>
With all the rail expansion going on in these 3 cities, that would complement a high-speed rail network.
But you don’t need local rail for HSR to work anyway.
>>
>>1647518
In that case, there is no advantage over car, especially for those who live between cities.
>>
>>1647190
The only train they want is the Trump Train down there. Everything is built for cars, you'd just take a train to a place where you'd need a car
>>
>>1647518
Uh, yes you do need local rail to make these systems successful.
>>
>>1647471
well, i mean...
>>
Oh Jesus, the carshills are losing it.
>>
File: file.png (278 KB, 2271x1381)
278 KB
278 KB PNG
this made me laugh though. leeds to cardiff via london lol
>>
>>1647477
>>1647596
>you need local rail to replace a short-hop flight with a train
You do realize there is no rail to the Houston airport, right?
>>
>>1647263
People do fly from Sapporo to Hakodate
>>
File: california.jpg (135 KB, 840x472)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>1647278
>Yeah but they haven't turned the first shovel of dirt
Its better than to start and have no means to fiish.

Good projects take 5 years to design and 5 to construct, bad projects take 2 years to design and 20 to construct.
>>
>>1647282
Unironically this is how Los Angeles got around building light rail, huge sections of their system is built in the middle of highways
>>
>>1647663
It's faster to fly Haneda to Hiroshima. Than it us to take the Shinkansen. Cheaper too.
>>
>>1647668
What? They aren't 'designing' the line, the delays are from legal battles
>>
>>1647683
The vast majority of LA's rails are not in the middle of freeways.
>>
>>1647660
You're not disagree with me...
>>
>>1647771
I didn't say the majority but a lot of it is, on the southern parts especially
>>
>>1647773
Allow me to spell it out for you. The Texas Central Railway's target market is people, and in particular businesspeople, who currently take flights between Houston and Dallas. This is a large market; a glance at Google Flights shows eleven such flights daily. Both DFW and IAH are large international airports; it is highly unlikely that all, or even a large proportion of, these commuters are merely taking the IAH-DFW flight as one leg of a larger trip.

To lure this group to switch to the train, the railroad would have to offer better service, lower prices, or both. The roomier environment of a train and lack of a need to stow your belongings for takeoff and landing provides an enhanced experience, as does the relaxed or nonexistent security screening. The railway also expects to cut down on travel time, further enhancing the experience. The Texas Central Railway will connect to DART (the Dallas area light rail system); the Houston end will (for now) have no connection to the Houston metro. This is identical to the the local transit situation facing these travelers at the airport: the DFW airport is served by DART; IAH is not served by the Houston metro. Therefore, relative to air travel, this railway offers several benefits and no obvious drawbacks. If the Houston metro were extended to IAH but not the railway station in Houston, that would put the railroad at a disadvantage, but no such thing has occurred.
>>
Considering how fast all 3 of those cities are building apartments downtown, I see no reason your couldn’t turn a profit with HSR there
>>
>>1647698
Acquiring the land is an important before beginning construction, anon. Would you prefer they started construction without having secured the right-of-way?
>>
>>1647815
>middle of nowhere Grimes county
>having a downtown, let alone building apartments there
>>
>>1647817
Reread the post.
>>
>>1647471
>Paying 3 figures to sit on your bag in the bendy bit by the toilet.
No. If you don't have a car, you hire a car, it literally costs about the same, plus you have a car at the other end. And if you can't drive, you take the Megabus and just accept the fact you'll get covered in literal piss (which also happens on the train)
Although this is all immaterial because travel won't be allowed any time soon, despite what the propaganda - sorry, "news" - might be telling you.
>>
>>1647698
>They aren't 'designing' the line
Can you guarantee they aren't working on the project right now while working on the legal battle?
Why would they spend time on design before buying land if everybody knows NIMBYs would battle on the court?
>delays
How can something that never started be delayed?

Private works are different than public ones.
A public works start with an idea and a time target, and the budget is "how much it takes".
A private works start with a budget, and everything else is malleable. They are working, but why hurry when the big money has not been spent (or loaned) yet?

>>1647690
Nice observation. The shinkansen lines work like a metro, shuffling people between intermediate cities, differently from the TGV for example, which bypasses every single city.
This is the main advantage of rail over planes, it can be built in many different ways and to serve many roles. A plane for comparison can only serve a single city pair during each trip.
>>
>>1647816
Not the point I was getting at

>>1647879
>Can you guarantee they aren't working on the project right now while working on the legal battle?
Looks like little is happening beyond legal problems

>How can something that never started be delayed?
Because it has already started

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.