[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bike dynamo.png (1.83 MB, 1281x960)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB PNG
I really want to put a dynamo on my bike but I'm too afraid that other cyclists will laugh at me for not having an LED light.
Am I just a dumb hipster who can't get with the times or is there still an active community who uses these?
>>
>>1646767
It would make sense to use an LED with the dynamo too though.
>>
Hub dynamos are more popular. Though you can still get new bottle dynamos fairly cheap.

https://www.bike24.com/search/category-67?searchTerm=dynamo
>>
>>1646767
You should ask the people you ride with if they’ll laugh at you
>>
Dynamos don't generate a lot of power, and most of the headlights are capped at 2.4W. Most of the LEDs in use are probably rated at no more than 100 lumens per watt (certainly in cheaper lights). So you have a light that is at most 240 lumen. With a good lens design a lot can be done with that little amount of light.

Battery lights absolutely crush dynamo lights in pure power. But few have a really good lenses, many are essentially just flashlights. Multiple LEDs can compensate for the hot spot you get on single LED lights, but they aren't friendly to other road users.
>>
I've never ridden a bike with a dynamo, does it feel noticeably heavier? or is it basically "free"?
>>
>>1646827
a modern hub one is like 5-10 watts of drag
most reasonable cyclists can do 200-300 watts for an hour
casuals probably more like 100 watts.
it's also maybe 500g, or less, extra weight.

It's not nothing, but it's pretty insigniciant.
>>
>>1646827
I grew up riding bikes with those; they fucking suck. Also when you pedal slow for whatever reason the light dims and flickers.
The best is when you're climbing hills, because you can feel the thing dragging you down AND the light doesn't work properly.
Basically, they're shit and OP is a "dumb hipster"

Disclaimer: I have no experience with hub dynamos, maybe those are better. I know Nips equip new mamachari bikes with them, although I'm 100% they at least have LED lights. Using incandescent in 2021 is 0 IQ.
>>
Interestingly, there are "frictionless dynamo micro lights" available now that go on top of your brake pads and run off the rim, that even have a functional "brake light" which brightens when you apply the brakes.
https://www.magniclight.com/
>a magnetic wheel in a generator separated from the bicycle rim by a narrow air gap induces temporary magnetic fields even in non-magnetic aluminium bicycle rims when the bicycle rim is moving. This leads to the magnetic wheel rotating contactlessly as if by magic.
Pretty neat stuff.
>>
>>1646827
Most decent dynohubs are unnoticeable at normal riding speeds. You'll notice the difference between wearing a big baggy shirt that catches the wind vs. a tight shirt before you notice the hub drag.
>>
>>1646767
I use it because it came on the bike and I don't want to change the groupset by swapping the hub or something like that. I used to use battery ones but I can't be bothered to carry them around all the time.

On performance - yes you notice them very much (at least the old ones). The faster you go the more drag you will feel as well.
>>
>>1646838
wow way to out yourself as a poorfag and a casual
>>
>>1646929
Thank you for contributing to this thread
>>
>>1646942
no, thank (you)
>>
>>1646913
yeah but I rarely ride at night anyway so it's not like it will be bothering me for long
>>
Tunturi Retki 5/5
>>
>>1646827
>>1646829
>>1646907

cool, thanks guys
>>
https://fahrradzukunft.de/18/labortest-felgenlaeuferdynamos/
The velogical ones look good. It's a German website so use google translate

Apart from that nobody will laugh at you. Everyone who's riding not only on the weekends knows that charging the light sucks. The peace of mind that you will never run out of juice is nice.
>>
>>1646767
>dynamo
you'll destroy your tire, kid.
get a generator hub front wheel
or better yet just get a USB rechargable LED headlight and forget all this old stuff.
>>
>>1647317
frictionless electromagnetic hub dynamos are more modern than battery lights
>>
>>1647328
higher tech sure, but they still suck watts and can't get you the same kinda brightness a $50 rechargable light can
>>
>>1646856
This is literally how every electric generator in existence works, they just cracked it open and threw each of the parts on a different location
Yeah, “frictionless” just like your alternator
>>
>>1646767
Swap out the bulb. You can get LED bulbs that fit in there and if it's a dynamo you don't need a rectifier.
>>
>>1647317
>kid
Wow, it's like you started sucking cocks the minute you were born.
>>1647738
>“frictionless” just like your alternator
Alternator is run by a belt. Those literally don't touch the rim.
Are you mentally disabled?
>>
>>1647866
What does the belt turn anon
>>
>>1647328
They're limited to 6 watts AT MOST, and they only deliver current when you're moving so your light stops working when you're stopped.
Get a USB rechargable light and stop fooling around.
Get a USB rechargable taillight while you're at it.
>>
>>1647866
Thanks so much for allowing me to live RENT FREE in your dome, KID.
>>
>>1647923
your meds, schizo
>>
>>1647922
https://youtu.be/NNW3mIE3h7w?t=111

high quality dynamo light output is like 90 lux which is pretty good
look at the beam pattern in that video and realize it's probably superior to what you're used to.

they also don't shut off when you stop, they have like a capacitor thingo and stay on for a couple minutes at reduced brightness.
>>
>>1646771
>hub gens always draggy
>tire dynamos, power when you need it
>>
>>1647957
But the power is practically nothing, the best plan is a hub dynamo and a nice power bank to charge your LED lights when they die
>>
/n/ has retarded autism again. Get a hub dynamo if it makes sense for the bike; something like a commuter that’s almost always going to want lights on and is ridden nearly every day or a bike that is going to see lots of nighttime riding with no opportunity to recharge your lights a la touring and randonneur bikes. If you’re just a weekend warrior don’t bother with a dynamo, just get rechargeable lights. I have bikes that utilize either system of lighting and I’m not screaming at myself about the merits of each one.
>>
>>1646767
I think they are cool,
>>1646769
I'm gonna mod mine too do that incadecent is just too dim
>>1646827
Yeah, I only use mine going down hill, mine is old though, might be able to put a capacitor in line with the bulb to get an even light, not just with every push
>>
>>1646767
Hub dynos are just a status symbol for urban yuppies who never park their bikes outside because each pedal is worth like $120 let alone the front wheel and they don't ride far enough to drain a battery but they heard europeans love dynos so of course they HAD to get one
>>
>>1648216
Almost all of the Mennonites I know have dynamo hubs
>>
>>1648229
>Mennonites

Why mention that, is there a thing of menonites biking? Enlighten us.

>>1648216
they are loud and dont work consistently since tire flexes, suboptimal technology but far more simpler than a hub dyno (hub dyno might have less friction but never tried it - cant have more than a dynamo)
>>
>>1648235
A lot of Mennonites aren’t allowed to own cars so they either ride bikes or use horse buggies to get around. They’re the farthest thing you can get from an “urban yuppie”, just about everything they do own serves a practical purpose.
>>
>>1648236
>A lot of Mennonites aren’t allowed to own cars

I like their music a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viHC3GBdGiM

I know that Amish arent allowed to bike, but I wasnt aware that Menonites cant own cars, isnt the guy who runs wheelfanatyk . com Ric Hjerberg a Menonite?

>just about everything they do own serves a practical purpose.

based no nonsense
>>
>>1648240
Some Mennonites can own cars, as far as I understand it all depends on which church you belong to regarding what is and isn’t allowed.
>>
>>1648240
I'll bet their pussies are hairy as fuck

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.