[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 67 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: calvin.jpg (132 KB, 1000x1000)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
mustache man edition.

read up:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

want to buy a bike? post in /bbg/ >>1642422
>>
Do these look worn?
I remember feeling like it was slipping like 10 years ago, and when I actually brought the bikes down a month ago to use them again the derailleur exploded and lost one of the cogs due to a loose screw. I bought a new 7 speed derailleur but it didn't seem to work right and I am going to return it.
Can I just do a 1x10 or whatever meme and just get all new gearing for like $100 and delete front derailleur and get the new rear? It's a mid 2000's trek 820
>>
>>
>>1646045
>>1646046
they look alright
bit hard to tell with the rear. I'd probably replace that and get a new chain if you remember slipping.

also if your derailer exploded your hanger is quite likely bent.

what exactly is wrong with the mech you bought? I wouldn't advise doing a modern conversion just because you can't work out this stuff. Work out this stuff.
>>
File: wavy shark tooth (2).jpg (38 KB, 480x360)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>1646045
not too badly worn
its harder to tell with HG and SG teeth as they have a messed up shape to begin with
things to look for
>a shallow wide U shape between the teeth
caused by useing a chain whose rollers have worn a goove into the pins, thus lengthening the chain pitch
>wavey teeth that bend over in a clockwise direction
caused by too much torque on the teeth, most often found on the smaller sprokets of less than 18 teeth
>>
>>1646057
>>1646057
Exploded as spontaneous disassembly. One of the screws that hold the two stampings together came out and I lost one of the cogs, it would still pedal, but obviously it wasn't exactly usable besides getting a block back.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GSQP18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought one of these but it seems like they changed the design as I think the one on the broken one had two different size cogs and the stampings are different sizes. I installed it and tried to adjust it but it wouldn't get far enough away from the rear cassette and would make noise and would stick if you pack pedaled it. I got it to move around, but it seemed to take a lot of effort to shift no matter how it was adjusted, couldn't get into the lowest gear either.
I tried buying some chinkshit aluminum cogs for $7 to rebuild the other one, but the screws were too short. I was thinking of maybe getting a clone or some broken one so I can just use the old one since at least it worked.
I also recall it would often have the chain slip when shifting the front gears and end up on the frame, is that a worn chain too? I bought a new one but amazon niggered me by telling me it was on a month back order after I ordered it when it was instock.
>>
File: nJQeF.png (44 KB, 500x500)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>1646046
large chain rings wear slowly as they are rarely used
when new around half of their teeth are engaged by the chain
but as the chain stretches out only really 1/4th of the teeth are fully engaged and the chain sits very loosely on the chain rings
>>
>>1646065
>two different size cogs and the stampings are different sizes
this thing ?
>>
>>1646076
Yeah, that's the model, I don't remember looking at the cogs prior to losing the first, but you can tell by the size of the housing they were different, were they are identical on the new one. Same model number though. It's a 7 speed, but the new ones like the one say it's a 7/8.
>>
File: refle.png (601 KB, 535x586)
601 KB
601 KB PNG
how to remove the reflectors from a wheel without damaging them or the spokes? For some reason one of mine is not aligned with the valve and is hurting my autismo. I don't want to snap them off which is what I usually do, rather correct the mistake and move the offending plastic tat to the correct locale. I can't figure out how to remove it, no obvious screws or other types of fastenings, my mate reckons they're designed to be not removable except by breaking.
>>
>>1646099
That style has a cam lock mechanism so you just need to rotate the white plastic piece half a turn with a large flat head screwdriver.
>>
>>1646101
Thanks, I just managed to do it, I thought that plastic was glued but it twists out : )
Actually harder to get back on than take off, now to get the ttyre logos lined up so I can finally relax
>>
>>1646099
if you push them towards the wheel hub they will fit more loosely on the spoke and be easier to remove, as they are partly held in place by the triple cross spoke pattern
some of them have a one way ratchet type screw head made of plastic
the other end of the plug being a bayonet fitting that wraps around the spoke
along with ratchet teeth on the end of two short protrusions
>>
>>1646110
Yes, mine are the plastic ratchet type, a bugger to reattach.
>>
>>1646099
Due to the spoke pattern you'll never be able to align the reflector with the valve.
>>
>>1646132
yes, with 6 o'clock being perfectly aligned the best I could do was 5 o'clock, better than 8 o'clock
>>
After a quick scan on ebay and taking average prices for each item (excluding wheels) then you're looking at somewhere between £450 and £550, the hubs for those wheels can be found for £70 each, so full wheel set assuming the spokes and rims are of similar grade could easily be £200-£300 the pair.

So let's say £700 - £800, of course I didn't have time to dig deep enough to find out which were in the best condition, some of the prices were considerably above the average, taking the most expensive items you'd be looking to pay well in excess of a £1200, the cheapest of course are probably fucked but you could maybe get all those components and the wheels if you can find them for £600.
>>
I've installed a new front chain ring and BB. I fixed the bolt tightly (square taper).

However I have a certain wobble in the chainring... Wat do?
>>
>>1646150
Most likely it's your chainring that's bent, so rule that out first.
>>
>>1646150
grab the crank arm and try to wiggle it back and forth while looking at the axle
if everything moves as one unit, your BB is wrongly installed or just worn out (shouldn't be if you bought a new one)
If the crank arm and chainrings move separate from the BB, then you need to tighten the crank arm more
If there is no movement or if only the chainring moves, then try tightening the bolts on the chainring
if it only wobbles when pedalling and not when wiggling the rings/crank then guy above me is correct and your rings are bent
>>
>>1646083
They'll all work. The actual indexing is done by the shifters. The wheel sizes don't matter.
>>
>>1646171
>They'll all work. The actual indexing is done by the shifters.
wut. are you saying any shifter/rear derailleur combination will work properly?
>>
>>1646192
I'm pretty sure all shimano 6–9 speed derailleurs and shifters are compatible with each other, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>1645961
Why does this board collectively advocate that newcomers to riding should be buying 25 year old shitmobiles and replacing literally everything other than the frame? it's very rarely a better deal than just buying a new one, it only makes sense as a fun project if you've got cash/time to wank away. To me it makes no sense that someone with no prior knowledge who just wants/needs to get out and ride should be memed into this, it kind of makes me sick actually.
>>
>>1646194
Tiagra is the line which has a different indexing pull for some reason.

t. learned this the hard way
>>
File: fghdxfgdfg.png (520 KB, 686x448)
520 KB
520 KB PNG
>>1646204
>>
>>1646208
Isn't the pull of 10 speed Tiagra the same as 11 speed 105/Ultegra/DuraAce?
>>
>>1646216
I don't know 10-11, but I do know Tiagra 10 is NOT the same as 105 10. Fucking Shimano.
>>
>>1646204
>/n/ is one person
Half the time people give budgets so low that the only new bike they can afford is a BSO. $700 is the minimum for a decent new bike + some accessories. That's $629 for a Kona Dew and $70 for shit like water bottles, spare tubes, a multitool, etc. And finding those bikes in stock is a total crapshoot now. So when someone comes along and says
>uhhhh I got $200 I don't get why bikes are so expensive they're fuckin kid's toys hurr
what are we supposed to do but tell them to get a 90s mtb and fix it up
>>
>>1646216
I believe that's true for the current models, yes.
>>
>>1646216
Yeah. Even better, it's just Tiagra 4700. 4600 was also 10sp but has the old 1.7 pull ratio. Shimano dun goofed with 4700.
>>
>>1646225
Your threshold for "descent" is too high. Big brand hybrids start at $500 or lower and there are probably equivalents out there you can get for cheaper without the brand premium.

>$70 for shit like water bottles, spare tubes, a multitool
Multitools are overkill for 95% of people and tubes and bottles are well under $10 and might also be unnecessary depending on what you plan on doing.
>>
>>1646194
You are definitely wrong.
>>
>>1646194
you're not entirely correct. mtb shifters with a friction mode with shift most/all 6 or 7-9 spd mtb mech - just won't index properly. the pull ration changed with 10 spd. for road, i believe the pull ratios didn't get weird until 11 spd. definitely some compatibility issues when using brifters tho
>>
>>1646233
>>1646233
>multitools are overkill
>tubes are unnecessary
and you're telling us we give shit advice? jfc, kys
>>
>>1646204
>>1646233
>casual new riders should buy entry level hybrids new

Why should /n/, a board of enthusiasts, have to always handhold uninterested casuals onto the easiest and most generic and most common path? The entire industry will lead them in that direction. They can visit a bike shop and do that. We can't even recommend models because it mostly depends on local availability of stock.
>>
Am I dumb for getting a gravel bike specifically for bikepacking and mountain biking on real suspension-worthy trails when I’m bored of my several mountain bikes?
I wanted to pretend it’d be for 80% dirt 20% road but I can’t see myself riding any road at all even with the allure of mad speed
I only got drop bars (which I’ve basically never ridden before) because I felt like it would be more comfortable than mtb bars long-distance with the extra riding positions and all, but based on things I’m reading online even roadies seem to think flat bars are more comfortable
I already have a dank ass hardtail and several full suspension mountain bikes all with different amounts of travel, this is the closest thing to a road bike I’ve ever ordered, it’s a completely different bike for the exact same riding I’m already doing, is it considered same bike syndrome?
>>
>>1646258
Yeah, seems pretty dumb. Just ride your hardtail around with the fork locked out.
>>
>>1646258
>even roadies seem to think flat bars are more comfortable
wat?
>>
>>1645961
Anyone run into an issue with a headset locknut not coming off before? I'm going to buy some penetrating oil tomorrow and see if that will loosen it up, but i'm confused how this even could have happened. Unless the previous owner had the strength of a gorilla on meth idk how it got so tight. It isn't rusty or anything
>>
File: 456.jpg (65 KB, 447x805)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
I stubled upon the JP version of gcn, what the hell is going on here
>>
>>1646277
Link nao!
>>
>>1646268
Is it true idk like I said I don’t really have much experience with drop bars, on my mtb the most comfortable position possible is laid back like a recumbent or something and having nothing to hold on to, don’t like muscleing my arms just to stay up
The sutra ultd bars are super wide and super flared, not sure how that factors in honestly
>>
>>1646267
This purchase literally started out as wanting a short travel full suspension mountain, which changed to maybe a rigid, which like you said was way too close to my hardtail so I decided on a gravel kind of bike, it’ll be a different riding experience I hope
>>
>>1646282
Yeah, like you said in your earlier post, drop bars are nice because of all the hand positions.
>>
>>1646281
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqcdUnlbk6o
>>
>>1646258
>roadies seem to think flat bars are more comfortable
ahahahahah no fuck flat bars gimmie my 6 hand positions. flat bars are what I hate about mtbs

the gravel bike is useful for riding to the trail and then on the trail, and it's way better for bikepacking because with a typical modern mtb there aren't many places to put bags. putting a bag on a dropper post is a bad idea, strapping stuff to a suspension fork is not ideal, there is limited space for frame bags, can't put much stuff on the handlebars unless I want to keep the fork locked out and make the bike ride like shit, etc. I've been using my full squish trailbike as a weekender bikepacking bike, and there's not enough places on the bike for me to put shit, so I have to use a use a bigger backpack than I'd like, which sucks. Someday I'll get around to getting something more suitable.

now if you're going to be going down black diamond freeride trails yeah that's not the right bike
>>
>>1646282
>on my mtb the most comfortable position possible is laid back like a recumbent

people get confused about drop bars vs flat bars
they basically equate it with down, far away bars vs high close bars
really that's not inherent about the bars.

The real difference between drop bars and flat bars is flat bars are wider, and have your elbows and wrists splay out rather than down.
The beniefits of flat bars, with those characteristics, is increased control. The beniefit of drop bars, is it's more aerodynamic. There's no reason why having your hands in line with your shoulders instead of wider than them should be less comfortable. It's not a comfort issue.

like if you held a pole infront of you, vertically, your elbow would bend down. And if you held is horizontally, your elbow would bend out. The former is actually more comfortable imo.
>>
>>1646290
Of course I’m gonna keep it to milder trails overall, it’s gonna be meant for miles not elevation, but I mean it still has 29 x 2.25 tires, im taking it to the chairlift bike park at least once
>>
>>1646294
hold your hand out infront of you, in a fist, knuckles lined up vertically and elbow bent down

now try it knuckles horizontally, and elbow bent out

which do you think you could hold out for longer?
>>
>>1646295
I guess, I just don’t want to be forced into an aggressive forward leaning position, it gets uncomfortable holding myself up doing that on mtb bars, and the “deck” part of drop bars as the shop guy called it seems impractical for a resting position
I’m sure it’ll be fine, I already ordered it so it’s gotta be
>>
>>1646299
maybe you should start doing core exercises like planks.
>>
>>1646258
No. I do that with my gravel bike and it is tonnes of fun. You have to choose your lines wisely, take the chicken lines and go slow on descents and it is still fun
>>
>>1646299
Gravel is more relaxed, you don’t want a slammed fit. Bar can be higher to be able to see ahead, think of a touring configuration. It will be fine you’ll see
>>
>>1646233
a $500 bike is a terrible investment if you aren't an oblivious normie who barely rides. if you come up with a $500 budget you probably have more money but started off with "a bike is a toy" expectations and only raised the budget after you saw that the $200 bikes are pieces of shit. if you live in a first world country you can probably come up with with a couple extra hundred bucks and you shouldn't sweep under the rug the other costs like a pump, helmet, cycling shorts, clipless pedals and shoes (or nicer flat pedals because the stock pedals are basically just for test ride purposes if pedals even come with the bike), maintenance etc so the money paid up front for a nicer bike isn't all that significant in the grand scheme of things and you get some of it back through resale value while with a shittier bike you might decide that it's not worth fixing so you just throw it away or let it sit in your garage forever
>>
>>1646316
>CONSOOOOOOOOMMMM
>>
>>1646318
>consoom but only within my arbitrary budget constraints
>>
Hi friends, got hit by a car last year. I need to provide a list of replacement parts, prices and service costs to the insurance company. The bike is in pretty poor shape so I'm thinking about replacing the front groupset when I replace the rear groupset. It's currently 7 speed with 3 chain rings on the front. I rarely use all three of these so I was thinking it might be nice to go down to two gear rings on the crank. However I fear that this will just result in haivng to buy and replace even more parts. Can anyone advise me on what to do?
>>
>>1646258
The bike pictured is just a ridgid mountain bike with drop bars.
>>
>>1646329
If you replace your triple crankset for a double you'll also need a new front derailleur and front shifter. There's nothing wrong with having a third chainring you never use. You will eventually, and you will be thankful it's there.
Also 3x7 drivetrains are not worth upgrading, they're pretty much the shittiest out there. Either run it into the ground or replace the whole thing.
>>
>>1646330
that's what gravel bikes are
>>
File: FullSizeRender-4.jpg (69 KB, 750x695)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1646293
flat bars – pronated grip
drop bars – neutral grip
>>
>>1646332
I am happy to upgrade the front derailleur- my shifter is a grip shift so I think it will probably work fine with a new chain ring but again I'm happy to upgrade that if necessary.
>>
Why does every niggerfaggot always walk directly in the middle of the fucking sidewalk, pathwalk, single track, or forrest walkway?

How motherfucking hard is it to walk on the left or right side. It is especially bad when there is 2 or more in a group. They will stand directly in the middle not even single file and take up the entire way. Even worse if they do stand on the left or right but side to side so they again take up the entire thing. I mean who the fuck does that? And if youre coming at them head on they more than likely dont even move out of the way and will just stare at you, like come on dude you can possibly be so brain dead.

I seriously debate running these dumb assholes over every time I ride my bike but I either zip by them or ask them to move. Jesus christ how hard can it be to give people space?
>>
>>1646342
main character disorder
>>
>>1646295
>>1646299
>>1646334
Wide flat bars force the shoulder into a higher degree of internal rotation and the forearm into a much higher degree of pronation than hoods/drops. They also are a cause of radial nerve impingement far more often than drop bars (given the same front/rear weight distribution) and the wider the bars are the more exaggerated these properties can become.

Drop bars are far more neutral, especially on the forearms and give you 3+ options to change grip and position for road riding. The main advantage is the amount of options on the market for drop, reach, and bar width to help get fit properly to a given bike, as well as the reduced aerodynamic frontal area of narrow bars that is becoming more common in (inspired by narrow track bars).

I ride everything from 35cm wide drops to standard MTB and they definitely feel and handle completely different and have their uses, but drops offer the best versatility by far and are great for everything but harsh off-road riding.

Fit is everything though in getting any bars to work well for you, with weight distribution being the most important aspect by a long shot.
>>
>>1646329
Get your local LBS to do it and add the cost of consulting on parts to the bill.
>>
>>1646365
my experience with one of my local bike shops is that they just put whatever parts they have lying around on- even if it's not ideal. they solve me gear cable housing that was too short for my frame. i suspect i am too fussy, i want nice parts.
>>
>>1646371
nah, your lbs is just shitty
but seriously dude, your shit bike is not worth fixing, just get an estimate of the damage, cash in, then buy a proper one
>>
>>1646372
fuck off cunt
>>
>>1646373
I'm serious, not trying to be a dick
you'll just be wasting money
nothing with a gripshift is worth upgrading
>>
>>1646329
Don't pay to fix a bike that was hit by a car if insurance is covering it, have the insurance company buy you a new bike. If they say you need to fix your current bike, say your frame is fucked and that riding it is unsafe and that if you crash because you had to ride your old bike that you're suing. It doesn't matter if you can't buy a direct replacement, you walking away from this ordeal with just a bike is a lot cheaper than you demanding any medical bills get covered by the driver that hit you.
>>
>>1646374
>nothing with a gripshift is worth upgrading
Can we get this on a banner or H1 at the top of the board?
>>
>>1646374
>cheap old bikes suck
bad faith argument

>>1646377
when you think a mint high spec old bike with deore sucks too
>>
reposting question from last thread:

Bum bag on gravel bike yay or nay?
I need something to carry my camera and stuff, backpack is a no go, also handlebar bag is shit.
>>
>>1646389
what's a bum bag
>>
>buy a $15,000 scooter to go 1mph faster than a pro on a bike while a guy in a $2000 van that can do 5 times that speed tailgates you with the AC on
literally why?
>>
>>1646390
It's like a smaller backpack (3-5-7L) you wear as a fanny pack, the bag is bouncing on your bum, hence "bum bag"
Also referred to as "hip bags"
>>
File: stemsack.jpg (65 KB, 620x413)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1646390
Under saddle packs and those ones that attach between top tube and stem are ideal.
>>
>>1646389
>>1646401
>>1646404
Why are you asking this? Who would answer "nay"?
>>
>>1646249
>Why should /n/, a board of enthusiasts, have to always handhold uninterested casuals
because they come here looking for advice. Then you meme them into fixing up a 90s shitter instead of just getting something from shartmart and riding it like a normal person, so they have to keep coming back for more advice because they know literally nothing about bikes.
so the board gets flooded with flat out retarded non-questions that can be solved by 5 minutes of googling.
>>
>>1646417
>getting something from shartmart and riding it like a normal person
where do you think you are
>>
>>1646419
might as well flat out tell people to fuck off when they come here then
>>
>>1646422
Yes actually.
>>
>>1646422
People need to be gatekept from this shit, especially with the rise of ebikes and other bullshit.
>>
>>1646417
I think it's great to see more people trying to fix up old bikes, especially as I have a storage unit filled with old parts that until this time last year were almost impossible to shift but are now flying out the door faster than I can list the next wave, and for silly fucking prices lol. It's so busy that I haven't needed to work since last September, and now the missus is back in her place after years of whining about that fucking storage unit being full of old junk, well that old junk just paid for a new extension and front driveway.

WE MUST ENCOURAGE NOOBS TO BUY SHIT OLD BIKES!!!
>>
>>1646390
I believe you amerisharts call them "vagina bags" or something. because "bum" is a rude word over there.
>>
>>1646417
Probably because like 90% of the time their budget is like $100 and they’d enjoy a used bike for that price more than a new one. It’s better guiding them to good deals than just doing the Reddit shit of saying “just spend $700 bro, it’s a lifetime piece with great materials” even if it’s really true for bikes.
>>
>>1646425
based ebay scalper
>>
>>1646426
fanny packs
>>
>>1646427
>because like 90% of the time their budget is like $100 and they’d enjoy a used bike for that price more than a new one
I don't have a problem with the "buying a used bike and driving it until the wheels fall off" idea, it's the obsession with immediately doing a full restoration and throwing at least as much as you paid for it in parts at it that I can't understand.
if it doesn't not work, just ride it.
>>
>>1646432
>nice chromoly frame
>fresh set of tires
>smooth bearings
>new brake pads, cables
>possibly new bar/grips/bar tape
problem?
>>
>>1646432
Yeah I agree anon. I’ve bought a lot of used bikes but now I only really like buying new for that reason. You try to fix one thing on an old bike then you find 5 things that need fixing and it turns into a huge headache. But most people can’t buy new so idk. Maybe we need to just start recommending single speeds
>>
File: 18731628.jpg (37 KB, 400x462)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1646434
>Not doing a full custom build from a frameset
>>
>>1646434
>Maybe we need to just start recommending single speeds
even that is problematic. there's bikesdirect in the US but they raised the price of kilo TT and their cheaper bikes aren't that great. i've been recommending fuji track/fuji feather but it has limited availability and anons don't seem to be enthusiastic about them. small brands like state, aventon etc have meh quality at best, some of the smaller ones are a complete joke and should not even be considered. fixies especially aren't too normie friendly, a lot of enthusiasts spend $1000+ on high end custom builds because it's so niche and most of the prebuilt bikes are too far from ideal.
>>
>>1646428
Used to wok at this bike shop that has since closed down, the owners wife left him and he basically fell apart, sad but not my problem, anyway towards the end he couldn't pay my wages and said to just help myself from the warehouse as the was shutting up shop anyway and he'd rather I had it than the bank.

6 van trips later and I had to order another fucking storage unit, a shipping container that was dropped in the garden by a crane, the missus was fuming 'WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH ALL THAT LOT? GET YOUR MONEY OFF THE OLD BASTARD YOU PATHETIC COWARD', stuff like that. I lost count of how many trips I made but I pretty much cleaned the fucker out. I've sold scores of groupsets this past 7-8 months, everything from 90's XTR to 2020's Sora, something like 300 chain rings, every kind of shifter you can name, boxes of them, then there's the little things like cables, chains, spokes, nipples, inner tubes. The market just exploded late last year, I was working as a forklift truck driver and wasn't really bothering with ebay than BOOM!!! All the stuff I had listed, some frames, wheelsets and groupsets sold in a few days, quit my job and focused on collating the stock and listing it, too much to do in one go, I have to set aside 2-3 days, pull out a load of crates and boxes, sort through it all, list it and then wait for the money clouds to start raining.

You know the best part? I don't even have a bike of my own, too fucking lazy for that shit, ride a Yamaha and drive an Audi, but fuck me am I starting to love cyclists!
>>
File: output-.png (88 KB, 550x550)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>1646440
absolutely based
>>
File: IMG_20210419_120315-min.jpg (1.18 MB, 4000x3000)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
what to do to this bike to improve it for cheap? its my commute bike for work only, about once or twice a week(25km combined). i have bags for rear wheel so my back does not sweat. im thinking of changing forks to rigid ones.
>>
>>1646440
Do you have any TRP Hy Roads?
>>
>>1646446
repack the hubs with fresh grease
>>
>>1646479
all maintinance is spot on, did all new bearings and new chain. im thinking new fork and slapping drop bar on it. not sure if it would fit 1 1/8 with new headset. currently running 1" threaded
>>
>>1646374
That's not necessarily true. Rohloff uses grip shift.
>>
>>1646480
Rigid fork would be an improvement, i think drops may increase the reach too much, but could be fun to try it
>>
>>1646480
>not sure if it would fit 1 1/8 with new headset. currently running 1" threaded
it wouldn't lol
>>
>>1646439
I'm state's new 8 speed is probably the most solid new bike rec, since lots of people just getting in to cycling don't have the strength to ride comfortably at all, and telling them to mash up hills on a single speed will just turn them off cycling entirely
>>
I know you get what you pay for and that applies especially to tools, but money is tight at the moment and I just need a pair of cable cutters/crimpers that will do a good job, what's the best pair out there that's doesn't come with the Park tool premium
>>
>>1646434
>You try to fix one thing on an old bike then you find 5 things that need fixing and it turns into a huge headache
That is half the fun tho, at least for me. Definitely not a good into to cycling for new riders, so agree that new simple bikes are a better rec
>>
>>1646389
I prefer handlebar bags
>>
>>1646491
i would be very surprised if even 1 person coming to /n/ actually follows this (good) advice
>>
>>1646495
I went that way first but I could only fit one with klickfix adapter. The connector rattles on the adapter and the bag while having rigid wall strengthening sagged under something that is more than a couple sandwiches and a banana for example my camera. It also bounced a lot on bumps and often scraped the wheel.
Oh, yeah, my frame size means the head tube is short so there is limited space available. Also no load bearing bosses on the front fork.
Handlebar bags absolutely suck for me and my intended main use (carrying my camera)
>>
>>1646492
literally just get some hardware/diy store wire cutters (pic related), no need to consoom. got mine from Lidl for £3 a few years ago, manufactured in germany, 1000v rated and everything.
>>
>>1646499
>carrying my camera
use the shoulder strap that comes with it and sling it over your shoulder like a messenger bag
>>
>>1646501
Did that first. It doesn't work, always slides around to front and bangs on the frame. I don't ride upright either.
Also my camera is a DSLR.
>>
>>1646500
>that edge gap
>that fuzzy edge
>that not edge at all
I very much doubt it was manufactured in Germany or even in the EU.
>>
>>1646499
Oh yeah, if you can't attach a support to your fork to help hold the handlebar bag then it'll suck. I have a like mini rack that holds the base of mine and it's pretty comfy, but it's on an old steel bike with lots of mounts
>>
>>1646511
Yeah, it is the only one sucky thing about carbon forks. I'm sure there will be solutions later on but I like to keep my bike as light and clean as possible, only picking up a bag when I need it.
On a separate note I've been thinking about getting a half frame bag as well but still undecided. It would be nice to carry my raincoat and a foldable compact backpack but it's going to be a semi permanent thing and I'm not happy about the straps potentially scraping up the paint either.
Yes, I know I am difficult :3
>>
>>1646272
You're supposed to use an appropriate wrench, buddy.
>>
>>1646299
>>1646362
You know, you could run narrower bars instead of ludicrous wide 900mm bars
>>
>>1646425
scrap metal merchants btfo
>>
>>1646397
Hey, the van guy needs some entertainment.
>>
>>1646498
What's frustrating is there's so much potential to get a lot of normies riding and having a great time, but there's shilling in all directions and for a newcomer to cycling the amount of confusion and the cost is way too high a barrier of entry. A lot of bike shops recommend overpriced hybrids that aren't really worth the cost and then try to tell a new rider that they really need 105 on their hybrid because it shifts so much better that sora or whatever, and they try to sell new riders on clipless pedals, lycra, all sorts of shit which is fair if someone wants to start riding as a sport, but for someone who hasn't ridden since they were a kid it's overwhelming

So they rightfully reject that and look for a simpler path into riding and either end up on single speeds mashing their way up hills until they give up and walk or they go for walmart mtbs which break instantly. Really all they need is a low cost entry level road bike that is reasonably well made and will tolerate some abuse, but most bike brands don't offer anything like that, their lowest spec road bikes are out of the price range of a casual and overkill
>>
>>1646424
Because they don't even bother with the minimum effort. They just run and post questions that have been answered 1000 times before.
>>
>>1646515
Frame bags are a bit of a meme imo. They don't store that much and they make it hard to get to water bottles. There are solid large saddle bags out there, i don't love having all the weight high up. There are some racks for road bikes that mount to the axel and the brake bridge, that could be an ok option for large capacity, but way less convenient than a large saddle bag for taking it off and on. You could do a saddle bag for rigid/heavy stuff like camera gear and then a small round handlebar bag for a jacket/snacks. The small round ones can just hang below your bars
>>
>>1646516
I have a wrench, i can use a cheater bar i guess but this usually doesn't take very much force at all, and i don't want to go gorilla strength removing something that should come off without too much trouble. I've never had issues getting it off on other bikes
>>
>>1646518
>Not running 1m wide bars and width maxxxing
Ngmi
>>
File: IMG_20180617_132005.jpg (426 KB, 1067x800)
426 KB
426 KB JPG
>>1646446
>changing forks to rigid ones
they need to be longer than normal to keep the same frame geometry
anyway is the suspension bob really so bad ?

if your commute involves any sections where the road is load strait and clear get some bar ends, its cheep
fenders too, its possible to get more wet from the road than the rain, and long enough fenders keep the area around the bottom bracket much cleaner
some lights to be seen by, attach to quill stem or fork crown, seat post mounted rear light is ok, but is better located on the rear of a rack or fender
axle mounted light is useful at night https://problemsolversbike.com/products/accessory-mounts/quick_release_nut

cable splitters and in line barrel adjusters so you can use rim brakes and disk brakes at the same time
>>
>>1646440
nice, but I'm so happy I'm not American so I don't have to worry about any kind of shortages
>>
>>1646532
What I'm worried about is the bumps and shaking, I go off road a lot doing forest trails. I guess a larger bum bag is like a larger saddlebag except I can stand out on the bumps and just not put on when I don't need it. Already eyeing the Evoc Capture 7L hip bag.
Okay, bum bag it is, still lamenting about the frame bag though
>>
>>1646552
I’m so happy euros are more than glad to ship parts to America. We’ll buy up your entire stock in one time!
>>
>>1646535
>so you can use rim brakes and disk brakes at the same time
wut
>>
File: Wide Bars.jpg (37 KB, 650x488)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1646534
>>
>>1646566
yeah, what about also including drum brakes, you are a complete braking casual unless you have 3 brakes at the same time
>>
>>1646575
>not having a drag line with an anchor attached
It's like you don't even try
>>
Hey guys, looking to replace the 26" Tires on my GFS older mountainbike thing. Just do casual weekend cycling on MUPS, shouldn't ever see gravel even, probably no rain. Can I get some recs for tires?
I'm currently looking at:

https://bicyclewarehouse.com/collections/26-inch-bike-tires/products/giant0flatguard-sport-26-bike-tire

https://bicyclewarehouse.com/collections/26-inch-bike-tires/products/giant-flatguard-ppt-26-x-1-95-bike-tire

https://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Country-Rock-Tire-Black/dp/B000TH8OJS/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=26+michelin&qid=1620069595&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Protek-Max-Reflex-Bicycle/dp/B00GA283QA/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=26+michelin&qid=1620069595&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-7
>>
>>1646507
with tools, just buy the cheapest one there is, and if it breaks/is shit then you buy a more expensive one. for many this won't be necessary
>>
>>1646492
get the type that looks like a parrot beak, not the side cutter that the other anon posted
>>
>>1646578

https://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Protek-City-Tire-Size/dp/B00G5RWIIY/ref=sr_1_24?dchild=1&keywords=26%2Bmichelin&qid=1620069687&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-24&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-Hookworm-Urban-Bike-Tire/dp/B000A8NQQC?th=1&psc=1

I am liking the look of these as well.
>>
File: Go away.jpg (199 KB, 1024x768)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>1646579
>>
>>1646579
t. Harbor Freight manager
>>
File: 1613977035881.jpg (541 KB, 2568x1972)
541 KB
541 KB JPG
I asked a lot last thread but it died. So here we go. I got these shoes and pedals for fifty bucks. A steal since the shoes are super comfy for me and a perfect fit. However I noticed when I was using a trainer today for my road bike (I'm a beginner) I got this weird tension in my feet.

Like I'm so used to pushing with the pedal being in the middle, not the front. Is this normal and will I get used to it or am I using the pedal wrong?

Also I noticed my feet will HIT the front wheel when turning (that happened on the trainer since it tilted left a bit and I turned the wheel) so my question is are my cleats not front enough?

I did a 35 minute cardio workout and 50% of I hit my peak heart rate, so I was surprised how well you can workout on a trainer. Question though: I saw some small bits of rubber rub off of my rear wheel. Is this normal for road bikes? Should I not use the trainer or is a few (literally small spots) pieces of rubber falling off just normal?
>>
>>1646621
Your foot hitting the front tire like that is called toe overlap. It's pretty normal, especially on a road bike since under normal riding conditions you usually don't turn that sharply. Or if you are going slow and turning sharp, you can just have that foot back and your opposite foot forward. And yeah, trainers can wear your rear tire faster. If you're going to be riding the trainer a lot, either get a trainer tire (which is designed to last longer on the trainer but isn't soft and grippy enough to ride outside) or a cheap tire that you don't mind destroying.
>>
>>1646621
>As opposed to regular tires, trainer tires are heat resistant, which is important as it spins in the same place on a barrel consistently throughout your workout. As it heats up, a regular tire used on a trainer will quickly start to break down and could leave black rubber residue on the barrel or around your indoor setup.
https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/gear-reviews/what-is-a-trainer-tire-and-do-you-need-one/
>>
>>1646507
Pic related was not the one I have, just a random google image. Probably not the best example.
Anyway realistically, how often do you recable a bike that it actually matters?
>>
>>1646642
>he isn't recabling his bike after every ride
wow take a look at this fred
>>
>>1646521
>low cost entry level road bike
>most bike brands don't offer anything like that
Terk did, in the mid 00s with the 1000SL.
>>
>>1646647
wouldn't Fred be the one recabling his bike after every ride, or am I mixing up my /r/bicyclingcirclejerk lore?
>>
>>1646652
freds don't work on their bikes
>>
>>1646654
They are the ones who take their bike to a shop to have a tube patched and to get the brakes adjusted for wear
>>
>>1646446
nice bike. i would install sks longboard fenders of they have a 26" sizes. a rigid fork is a great idea but might be hard to find a 1" threaded one with the right amount of steering tube and axle to crown height for cheap
>>
>>1646446
another worthwhile improvement that is not super cheap, Ergon grips. they're worth the money. $30
saddle wise I recommend the relatively cheap Rido R2 to protect your taint but nobody here listens to me. $40
>>
>>1646492
knipex, and nothing else than knipex, for 20$ you get a pair that will last you forever
>>
>>1646446
change the front tire, the knobs on the side are bad if you ride alot on road, it has a decent mid section tho, so wear it out first maybe
>>
>>1646521
>they really need 105 on their hybrid because it shifts so much better that sora or whatever,
yes and no, but any rider that puts atleast 2000 miles on their bike every year should have a tiagra at least, ultegra and dura ace are overkill tho, deore is the best price quality if you're running a hybrid/mtbsorta bike, it's dirt cheap compared to the quality
>>
>>1646575
>he relies on a piece of metal instead of his own soles,
ngmithb
>>
>>1646579
ah shit, this nut/bolt is a bit stuck, oops stripped due to cheap extruded steel tools from home depot, hahah
>>
>>1646490

Reposting here for tyre recc
>>
>>1646681
Right but most normies just getting into it aren't going more than 10 miles a week realistically. The important thing is to get them on a bike without overwhelming them and scaring them off cycling for good. Then when they have caught on to how fun it is they'll be more receptive to upgrading and they'll understand what they want from a bike. And really even low tier modern components are pretty solid, having enough money left over after buying the bike to maintain it is more important than a better groupset
>>
>>1646704
Both are good i guess. I have heard of quality control issues with contos before, but i have never had issues with them myself
>>
>>1646704
gp5k, vittoria corsa g+ 2.0, pirelli p zero road
>>
>>1646642
just get the parrot beak type, stop shilling the electrical wire type, don't be ridiculous
>>
>>1646719
tourney actually fucking sucks
>>
>>1646535
Very nice setup you have there.
>>
>>1646621
You'll get used to the pedal feel. Remember to relax your feet. One of the big benefits of clipless is that you don't have to expend any effort to keep your feet on the pedals, so you can relax those muscles. Sometimes it helps to do a little systems check and wiggle your fingers and toes and focus on how you're pedaling with each leg, then with both legs.
>>1646681
DA is pure bling, but Ultegra has enough upgrades in materials quality over 105 to be worth it, particularly for that little bit in the 105 left brifter that fails because Shimano cut one corner a bit too much. At the entry level point I'd rather put someone on a Claris or Sora build, which would be fine for someone who does 2000 miles a year, but even those are approaching $1k, as are Advent-equipped bikes. Things are simply getting more expensive in the US and more and more people are going to be priced out until the economy finally keels over and dies.
>>
File: 1617698491002.jpg (548 KB, 980x735)
548 KB
548 KB JPG
Are these bikes hard to maintain or fix? Pictured is only 50. I have no idea what kind of chains or parts these guys use. Worth buying and fixing up for long distance trips?
>>
>>1646805
That's pretty neat with the fenders and racks. Some of those old bikes with cottered or one piece cranks have really heavy frames though. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which makes/models/years are indeed heavy though. I'd go for it if you get to check it out and it's not a pig or all fucked up or anything.
>>
>>1646805
complicated.
firstly, being an rather old peugeot, all of the standards, the derailer hanger threading, the headset, the bottom bracket, pedals, all of it is likely to be some meme french size which is basically not compatible with anything. There is a wealth of knowledge for it, and solutions for most things, and period parts which exist, but it's fundamentally all more difficult than an equivelant japanese or really most other places bike, or even a french bike which is 10 years newer.
You also have a cottered crank on there, a very very old, and stupid, standard. 27" wheels probably, etc etc etc.
BUT, you don't even want to replace anything, in which case, being a closed system is fine. It's a complete bike.

As for quality, the sprung leather saddle and front minirack, both, are desirable things people buy new, for like $100 each. Fenders too. The bike is very well equipped. The paint job is lovely.

It's probably not an easy project, nor will it be a very light steel frame, but I think for $50, it's an excellent buy and yes you could tour on it.

the chain, is one thing that is standard. A regular $15 8spd kmc or shimano chain will go right on fine.
>>
>>1646805
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html
>>
>>1646805
there's an advantage of old 27" bikes. If you upgrade to modern 700c wheels, you get more tire clearance because they're a bit smaller. The brakes have to be changed to be longer to reach the new rims but the gears will work fine with a new 7spd cassette because it's just friction shifting.

and more tire clearance on a road/touring bike is always nice.
>>
>>1646773
right now my bike has 25 year old tourney stuff on it (including meme stem shifters) and it works just fine
>>
File: 1597046323808.jpg (2.96 MB, 4000x2000)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB JPG
>>1646813
>700c wheels
I've heard this being said before. How do these wheels work? Are they all compatible with all frames? I got this frame and I was wondering if I could get tyres for it that would go on gravel. Good idea or no? Can a road bike hit gravel with the right tyres or is that not a thing? Here's the frame. The wheels I can post later what size they are.
>>
File: 1599409670865.jpg (2.52 MB, 4000x2000)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
>>1646819
Wheel looks dirty but I gave the bike a thorough cleaning and it looks sparkly clean now.
>>
>>1646818
is the derailer made out of plastic? No. Lines of parts over decades aren't all the same retard
>>
>>1646819
>>1646820
Those are already 700c wheels. Those brakes could probably clear a 700 x 28 tire. You've currently got 700 x 23/25 tires. So it's not much bigger, but it's something.
>>
File: IMG_7128.jpg (179 KB, 1191x949)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>1646819
road tires -are- good gravel tires and road bikes are good/fun on gravel

you only struggle if it's really bumpy or rocky gravel or on fast descents
A lot of gravel roads/paths are smoother than sealed b-roads.
A lot of road bike races have gravel sections.

Basically though, you do want as wide as you'll fit. I'd recommend the panaracer meme tires on planet-x as great allrounders. They sell 26, 28 and 30mm.
>>
>>1646805
like others have said, that both is and isn't a great deal. It is a great deal in that if you know what you're doing that will be a very solid and capable bike you can adapt to handle whatever you want. If you are new to working on bikes you'll spend easily twice the cost of the bike in tools within a couple months of owning it
>>
>>1646808
thats a lower end frame for sure, will be heavy as a motherfucker, but can still ride pretty well. definitely won't be super fast, but should be comfy
>>
>>1646809
>A regular $15 8spd kmc or shimano chain will go right on fine.
kmc has a 6 speed chain for like $8 that will work well for that, same width as the 8 speed but with slightly less side to side flexibility
>>
>>1646773
its fine if you maintain it, just don't expect it to be super smooth
>>
>>1646820
nice, previous owner already converted to 700c for you
>>
>>1645961
Is there such a thing as disc or caliper specific cranksets? LBS told me that my Tiagra FC4700 crankset that I bought will work best with a bike with disc brakes because of some alignment thing. Is this complete BS or will I fuck up my build if I keep these cranks?
>>
File: 16437-00-d-25671.jpg (86 KB, 564x564)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
I commute to work daily and I get punctures maybe once or twice a month which is a pain in the ass if it happens on the way to work. Is Proline Anti Platt any good or would I be better off buying tires with puncture protection? I guess they decrease rolling performance but I can deal with -25% as long as they provide good puncture protection
>>
File: 1591032147899.jpg (709 KB, 2000x4000)
709 KB
709 KB JPG
>>1646824
>>1646825
>>1646837
>>1646843
Thank you guys for the responses. Do I need to be careful about glass on the road or sharp rocks? The tire is just so tiny for someone who is used to MTB only. I feel like it's gonna burst any second and every stone I could feel up in my scrotum. Given I had no proper pedals last time so my saddle position was fucked.

Question. This frame comes with this safety sticker. What the fuck does this mean? You can also see inside the frame from that transparent circle thing. So fucking bizarre. What is it for? Why is it there? What safety? I covered the code and .. code, just in case. I have no idea what these are.
>>
Is there any difference in cantilever brake (bodies) when considering same angle ones? Like are BR-M650 (Deore DX) better than BR-MC32 (STX) ones?
Can I take STX ones (love that finish) and not get any degradation in performance (I will use quality pads either way).
>>
>>1646773
It actually doesn't though, it's perfectly fine for recreational and utility riding. Which is what most people use a bicycle for. That being said, internal hub gears are actually better for these use cases, they're just that bit more idiot proof.
>>
>>1646894
yes, arm play, flex, springs, pad fixing, magic, etc, but it's not necessarily 'better' = better

i would happily choose STX over deore if i liked the finish more and had em both.
>>
>>1646889
I can only imagine that putting something else between tire and tube is going to have much larger rolling resistance effects than using tires with built in puncture protection. Use some quality touring tires and they'll last you forever worry-free.
>>
>>1646891
yeah that number is really important. If you ever have an accident call them
>>
>>1646841
This can be said of literally any derailleur based drivetrain that isn't super mega high end.
>>
>>1646894
I think it will be okay to go for the STX. It is rim brakes, no real performance to talk about compared to discs.
>>
>>1646897
>Use some quality touring tires and they'll last you forever worry-free.
this
>>1646889
yeah that's not normal.
get some shwalbe marathon supreme or almotion
probably zero flats per year
>>
File: soul.jpg (68 KB, 1012x718)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1646900
if rim brakes suck wouldn't that be a reason to worry about getting the best ones
>>
>>1646891
Looks like a swedish number
>>
>>1646902
No because it is a question of which sucky shit is the best turd. Just go for the nice one, at least it will look nice.
>>
>>1646898
underrated
>>1646896
>>1646900
Thanks guys, I have the Deore DX groupset on my daily bike, but I was thinking about what to put on a project bike and DX and STX are some options on local craigslist. I try to buy used stuff over new for environmental and budget reasons. Also new stuff available for retro bikes is not always high quality.
>>
>>1646900
>found the disc-tard
>>
>>1646947
Well I hope I didn't break a rule. I honestly have no idea what is happening.
>>
>>1646901
>get some shwalbe marathon supreme or almotion
lol fuck off

>>1646889
get proper inner tubes like michelin airstop and install them carefully. get new tires if you have some worn dried out shitters. any high end folding bead tire will do, don't need tires built like a tank with all the compromises that come with the weight and rolling resistance and comfort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96_2dAQvxvI
>>
it's specifically americans who are overly concerned about getting punctures because they have a lot of crackhead bums who use cheap chinese walmart tier inner tubes. in europe the conti/michelin/schwalbe tubes are more readily available. some anons insist that they have exceptionally bad roads littered with shards of glassa and goatheads and whatnot but even then you should be able to use like gp 4 season if you know how to install the tubes without twisting, pinching them etc and if you know how to ride to avoid most of the debris. don't ride in the fucking gutter.
>>
>>1646891
Isn't that a theft related thing? The graphic looks like the neighborhood crime watch eye, and the SEC code is a unique serial number. So . . .
>>
>>1646883
That sounds bullshitty, but disc rear hubs do tend to be wider spaced, like 135, and you'd want cranks meant to be used with a wider rear. But that isn't exclusive to discs, lots of rear hubs are stupid wide now because of 11 and 12 speed
>>
>>1646889
Go tubeless, improve everything
>>
>>1646979
Yeah that looks like an anti theft bike registration thing, my school used to have one
>>
>>1646805
if you your unlucky it may use french parts
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html
just going by that picture I would not use the derailleur's or that particular quill stem
>>
>>1646889
Dunno about that brand but I used strips like those and didn't get a single flat for literal years. Took them out last year after reading some shit on the internet and the rolling resistance went down (allegedly) a completely unnoticeable amount and I started getting flats occasionally again. Haven't put them back mainly because I'm a tard.

I think the thing to look out for is that they're somewhat flimsy and floppy, not rigid plastic with sharp edges that can damage the tube. If they're rolled up as tight as in the picture hopefully they're ok.
>>
>>1646974
>>1646977
Inner tube quality has jack shit to do with how often you get punctures. If something sharp made it through the tire, it's making it through the tube too, and the $10 Continental tubes are going to slice just as easily as the $5 walmart ones if you try to use a screwdriver as a tire lever.
>>
I’ve been anti tubeless for a while now, but is it really worth it? t. roadie
>>
>>1647015
A pain to set up and maintain but you might think the flat protection makes up for it. Still have to carry tubes in case there's a flat it can't fix, and if you do have to install a tube be prepared to ride home covered in blue goop.

You can test how big the comfort improvement is by dropping your psi on your regular tires and carefully riding on them. Switching to 28s is simpler.

Weight is close enough that whether it's a net gain or loss probably depends on whether you use normal or lightweight tubes.
>>
>>1647015
>>1647020
I think it's worth it. Once set up, you what, check and top off the sealant a few times a year?

less punctures, no pinch flats, lower pressures, smoother ride.

you can carry a tube for really bad punctures that don't seal, or some of those bacon strips. if I'm getting a puncture that sealant and bacon strip can't handle, the tire is probably toast and I'm calling for a ride anyways.
>>
Anyone using latex inner tubes?

I have read that they are even more resistant than butyl tubes in regards to puncture.
They offer better rolling resistance as well.

The only downside is the faster air loss, you need to pump them up every 2-4 days.
>>
>>1646946
found the rimjob faggot
>>
so i've got some gears on a bike i bought off craigslist where a new chain will slide once i start pedaling at more than at a leisurely pace.
thought it was my derailleur adjustment but took it to an lbs and fixed it up.
can't really see the difference in teeth with the other gears that pedal fine.
should I be replacing the entire cassette?
>>
>>1647272
yeah
>>
>>1647129
you answered a question about canti brakes with needless comment about the "superiority" of disc. no body asked. discfags are all the same.
>>
>>1647272
often it's not really visually obvious when a cassette is worn and causing slipping. How worn was the chain? If it was 1.0 rather than .75 it's just good practice to change the cassette anyway.
>>
>>1647299
yeah bought a new chain since the old chain was 1.0.
>>
>>1647302
then you'd want a new cassette anyway and the slipping confirms it.
the one you test in that situation is not replacing chainrings too.
>>
FUCK Presta Valves!
>>
>>1647314
OK, every boomer that comes into my shop.
>>
>>1647314
Look at him, everybody
Look at him and laugh
>>
>>1646991
this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66KPtappr-c
>>
>>1647015
see >>1647342
>>
>>1647284
>yeah
Does the truth hurts you this much?
>>
>>1647314
for when your tire is narrower than its valve
>>
>>1647401
the truth of what, you being an insufferable faggot? that should hurt you, if anyone.
>>
>>1647314
Valve types literally don't matter for bikes. Different types only exist so people can argue about them.
>>
>>1647462
Someone please post that pic of the vandalized carbon rim and short schrader valve
>>
File: rack.jpg (67 KB, 505x310)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
i'm in the process of cleaning my bike, and have what i guess is an aluminum Pletscher rear rack like pic related

it's not shiny like that, and i really want it to be, any tips? in fact, other than the frame, forks, and handlebars, i'd really like to make all the metal on my bike look renewed. screws, bolts, nuts, all of it. is that stupid?
>>
>>1647510
It's probably anodized.
you can't bring up an anodized finish, (aside from very basic non-aggressive cleaning with like soapy water if it's dirty) all you'll ever do is make it look worse.

You can strip the anodizing and then polish it but it's a whole thing. Chrome will polish up nicely though. Autosol or something and a soft cloth.
>>
First time using Presta valve with my TOPEAK air pump.

It's quite fiddly and annoying and it has worked once out of 10 tries to pump it up.

Schrader Valve is the one I have been using so far, and absolutely no problems. Just plug in, lock and it instantly shows how much pressure is in the tubes.
>>
>>1647533
git gud
>>
File: IMG_20210505_111426.jpg (3.77 MB, 3120x3120)
3.77 MB
3.77 MB JPG
>>1645961
yoo I was just watching https://youtu.be/cPQyQnNdews before I came here. My crank snapped in half, and I wanna remove it. Do I need a crank removal tool like in the video? pic related is my crank
>>
File: IMG_20210505_112415.jpg (3.94 MB, 3120x3120)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB JPG
>>1647564
this is the screw that was in it
>>
>>1647564
>>1647565
Yes, you need a crank removal tool for square taper cranksets
If you have Decathlon around you you can get the medium B-twin toolset and it will have everything you need for maintaining your bike
>>
If I need to replace a bolt or screw, what are my options? Is there a company that manufactures all lengths and sizes?
>>
>>1647533
Refer to >>1647314
>>
>>1647533
You have a shitty pump. I have a cheap B-twin pump and on my first time pumping on a presta valve I managed to find out how the valve worked without looking at an online manual or ranting on the internet.
Git gud, son!
>>
File: Jesus Christ.jpg (210 KB, 1920x1080)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>1647577
Nope, it's impossible to find a store that carries a breadth of fasteners in various lengths and diameters. Imagine if they even had different thread pitches or tools in which to make or repair them yourself.
>>
File: Ukv.gif (1.39 MB, 480x269)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB GIF
>>1647582
>I managed to find out how the valve worked without looking at an online manual or ranting on the internet.
>>
File: 1599850404544.jpg (24 KB, 400x400)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Best mid range bike repair stand? Not interested in dog shit that's going to break nor am I interested in something a professional bike mechanic would need for use day in day out over many years, rather something in the middle, a half decent relatively durable yet inexpensive option for the enthusiast.
>>
>>1647589
I'm thinking Park Tool pcs-9
>>
Reposting this here as well:
I just want to say I'm seeing increasing amount of 7 speeds amongst new bikes in all the bike shops I visited in the last couple weeks. Seems like the parts shortage forced the manufacturers to put on obsolete old stock freehubs, mostly in 7 speeds. These are sold as new at continuously increasing prices, now at over $500.My LBS has Shimano parts reserved at the distributors, the most optimistic estimates are mid-end of June for shipping. Mindblowing.
Just a heads up, we will see an increase of new old stock 7 speed freehubs looking for advice in the coming months.
>>
>>1647589
Are you in EU? If yes then Decathlon
>>
>>1647577
just buy a new bike, take the bolt you need off, then throw it away
>>
>>1647567
>Yes, you need a crank removal tool for square taper cranksets
superman can do it with his bear hands, what are you a pussy?
>>
>>1647624
Bears have paws.
>>
File: twat.png (824 KB, 815x768)
824 KB
824 KB PNG
>>1647607
>>1647597
Thanks, I will investigate both suggestions with optimistic caution
>>
>>1647645
Decathlon (at least here) has two options, one B-twin 500 stand with tripod legs (not very stable) and an Elite Team brand one that looks like the Park Tools pcs-9.2, it is the better one.
>>
>>1647589
Bro it holds your bike in the air you don’t need us to appraise quality
>>
File: costanzacap.jpg (34 KB, 375x375)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>1647621
>not returning it as defective
>>
>>1647577
titanium screws off of aliexpress
>>
>>1647589
picrel isn't a real repair stand but it's only 20-25 euros, you can do most maintenance with it and you can use it to store the bike
>>
>>1647589
>>1647653
This, I just bought the cheapest one on amazon
>>
>>1647659
>ebike
>>>/o/
>>
>>1647674
just a random pic bro
if it can hold that behemoth imagine how well it can hold your 6.8kg bike
>>
File: tdf_1_a_cover.jpg (127 KB, 736x666)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>1646397
>2000 van that can do 5 times that speed tailgates you with the AC on
carry spares, carry you to hospital
>$15,000 scooter
they should use a 2cv instead
>>
>>1647659
>you can do most maintenance with it
what? Yeah, except gear or brake adjustments, not to mention you have to bend over the whole time. And what do you do when you want to take the wheels off? It's utterly useless for anything other than storage.
>>
i feel like pedals would be an easy upgrade and would increase the enjoyment of my bike

is there a pedal guide or something? i don't want special shoes or anything, just some black pedals with reflectors that are nice
>>
>>1647735
Stop bickering.
while I'm here, you do not actually need a work stand for anything, it just makes your life easier. There is genuinely nothing that you can't do without one.
>>
>>1647602
>freehubs
you mean freewheels.
>>
>>1647736
>I know exactly what I want
>I still want you to spoonfeed me
why are zoomers like this?
>>
>>1647750
>i have no suggestions
why are NPCs like this?
>>
>>1647753
Literally all pedals with reflectors are the same garbage
>>
>>1647755
ok, so what's not garbage?
>>
>>1647743
>it just makes your life easier
Yeah, no shit. That's what tools do. I prefer using a tool to hold the bike up when I work on it because it's way less of a pain in the ass.
>>
>>1647762
that's not what I was getting at. And your calling it a "tool" doesn't make any sense, because you do not actually need a work stand, there's nothing that is physically impossible without one. but you literally physically cannot unscrew a hex bolt without a hex/allen key, you can't replace a shimano type bottom bracket without the stupid splined tool, you can't pump up a tyre without a pump.
A work stand is not a tool, because all jobs can be completed without one. Which part don't you understand?
>>
>>1647757
not what you're looking for.
Take a 15mm wrench out for a walk and steal some pedals from a BSO, that's what you're looking for. garbage.
>>
>>1647757
Crankbros Stamp 7
>>
>>1647589
Minoura RS-5000
>>
>>1647770
I'm not going to argue semantics of what's a tool and what isn't. I just hate people like you who pop into a conversation and go "oh, you don't NEED that". It's the most vague and subjective thing to say and doesn't help anyone. Nobody needs anything, so what? The dude wants a repair stand to make it easier to work on his bike and you interjected to say that he doesn't need one.
>>
>>1647735
put it on top of a table if your flexibility is that bad. for the cockpit/seatpost it's hardly an issue. gears are a meme but you could still put the front wheel in and rest the bb shell on an elevated surface or something. don't know why adjusting brakes would be an issue. you can take one wheel off at a time and hold the other wheel with the stand.
>>
>>1647762
the average /n/ fag is desperate to save a few bucks. skimping on a stand when you're a casual user like the anon suggested is imo not as bad as skimping on bike components and other tools.
>>
>>1647786
>>1647770
No, you know what, you're retarded. Do you think something isn't a tool unless it's "physically impossible" to do without it? So by your logic, a hammer isn't a tool because you could pound a nail with a rock if you wanted. You don't need a hammer. All jobs can be completed without one.
>>
>>1647789
Jesus Christ, why are you so desperate to prove that you don't "need" a repair stand? Gears are a meme? How is that relevant? Rest the bb shell on a serface? What about the crank arms and chainrings getting in the way? It's nice to be able to spin the fucking wheel while adjusting a disc brake. But I suppose you'll just argue that you can lift up that end of the bike while you spin the wheel because you're a fucking dumbass. And yeah, let's remove the rear wheel and put the front wheel in the stand while the rear derailleur and chainrings are contacting the ground. Just get a fucking stand you mong.
>>
>>1647794
you're too far gone lol you probably went full meme and bought a park tool stand when you're just a hobbyist
>>
>>1647794
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBEizczmT7Y
>>
>>1647795
Who cares?
>I bet you bought something to help you work on your bike because you enjoy it.
You're a psycho.
>>
>>1647800
>small stool
>smaller block of wood or someshit on top of stool
>dummy hub rests on top
>>
>>1647803
For what task?
>>
>>1647804
>And yeah, let's remove the rear wheel and put the front wheel in the stand while the rear derailleur and chainrings are contacting the ground.
>>
>>1647602
that's honestly hilarious
>>
>>1647805
Dude, just admit a work stand is helpful.
>>
>>1647809
for a casual it's going to sit unused >99% of the time. it's about as helpful as a wheel truing stand. i'd personally rather have a truing stand even though properly built wheels are super low maintenance.
>>
>>1647811
You're insane.
>>
>>1647794
>Park Tool® Work Stand™ consoomer doesn't realise he's arguing with more than one person
>>
>>1647812
You use disc brakes.
>>
>>1647841
Well they're all retards anyway.
>consoomer
Why has 4chan become this echo chamber where you idiots just regurgitate these dumb memes and buzzwords. Try to think for yourself and write posts that don't look the same as every other fucking retard on here.
>>
>>1647845
u mad bro?
>>
>>1647862
he mad
>>
>>1647841
first post on this
the non-consoomer option is making your own workstand
i used this setup made from an old ironing board base, with some rags duct taped on the ends and a box of junk sitting on it, for years.

Now i have a workstand i bought. It's nice.

'you don't need a workstand' is just cope.
>>
I will say that after 20 years of bike maintenance, getting proper tools, even if they're hyperspecialized, is worth it. Save your money, kids, and you can have nice things, too.

t. Blue team
>>
>>1647876
making and improvising tools can be based
>>
>>1647878
Oh, for sure. I've had a bearing press made out of washers and a threaded rod, and a zip tie """"truing stand"""", but it's a quality of life sort of thing. Shit, my crown race setting tool is literally PVC pipe; that one I refused to buy Park's set fore because I saw no advantage there.
>>
>>1647881
just depends how much you use a thing i guess
>>
>>1647876
for the type of person who rides a $200 used bike or who can barely afford a new $800 bike, a work stand is overkill
you're probably delusional enough to think your old steel bike is 99% as nice as a high end carbon bike, the money for the stand would have been better off going toward a nicer bike
>>
>>1647885
It's actually the opposite. Impoverished projectfags are the ones who most need workstands. If you have a new high end bike then the service required is very minimal and you very well probably have a shop do most of it. Infact one of the best ways to make poorfag tier bikes work for you is having several of them.
>>
or clipless pedals and shoes
a lot of you neckbeardy mechanic types insist on sticking with flat pedals like a noob
even sheldon used clipless pedals
>>
>>1647888
I use both
clipless on a beater is pretty retarded
>>
>>1647885
I actually have a personal policy of not buying used bikes because people are shitheads.
>>
File: tea house.jpg (647 KB, 1662x1135)
647 KB
647 KB JPG
>>1647897
i like people
>>
>>1647887
Though, to be fair, there's the break in period with a brand new bike. I'm usually tinkering with fit and parts as they settle.
>>
>>1647897
same
used bikes are so fucking overhyped on /n/ (even before the covid clown market imo) but for anons who are dead broke what can you do, and some locations have a relatively decent used market
>>
>>1647736
"Nice" pedals don't have reflectors. If you're worried about being seen get proper lights, or if you just need to comply with some bullshit law get some reflective tape and stick it somewhere.

Good flat pedals have metal pins in them to grab the bottom of your shoes and keep you from slipping. OK flat pedals look about the same except the pins are plastic instead of being replaceable and metal.
https://www.amazon.com/FOOKER-Composite-Mountain-High-Strength-Bikesflat/dp/B07D66NDS3/
>>
>>1647907
>>1647736
you could easily modify those fookers for example to have reflectors by getting some reflective tape and cutting patches out for the flat surfaces. Clean them with isopropyl before you stick down.

also if you want to spend $$ check out mks they have some interesting casual designs with quality bearings.
>>
>>1647902
cope
>>
>>1647749
Yes. The ones with the threaded gearset, not the cassette.
>>
>>1647907
Shitmano m324s have the holes where you can attach a reflector.
>if you just need to comply with some bullshit law get some reflective tape and stick it somewhere
That specifically isn't good enough, at least in bongistan. They have to be amber, they have to be on the pedals.
>>
>>1647990
>Oi, you have a loicense for that pedal?
What a trainwreck of a country
>>
>>1647887
>Impoverished projectfags
"projectfags" are not impoverished and most probably have the bank balance to buy an actually good brand new bike from TERK/Spesh or similar (maybe not super high end, but not this "grip shifters and 7 speed freewheel in 1992+29" crap either). It's usually something to do to fill their empty life while also avoiding spending time with their family. This "retrofit a 90s shitter" meme is literally a marketing scam, and it's also to get you used to riding shit bikes so you don't chimp out quite so much when your 4 figure fredsled gets redistributed in the great reset, and all you're allowed to "own" (really rent - sorry, monthly subscription - which is paid out of your social credit) is an internal hub city bike, to be used only for essential purposes and one hour of mandatory exercise per day.
>>
>>1647992
enjoy getting killed by cleetus drunk driving his coal rollin' f350 on 44s who didn't see you because you were wearing all black and didn't have any reflectors.
>>
File: 1614623355320.jpg (69 KB, 778x813)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1647996
>jacked up brotruck in bongistan
>>
>>1647994
lmao
please never stop posting here
>>
>>1647990
Is it actually something that's policed? Under what circumstance?
>>
>>1647990
I basically don't like reflectors just because they're prone to rattle which tape obviously won't
>>
File: 1381981671099.jpg (1020 KB, 1680x1050)
1020 KB
1020 KB JPG
>>1647994
uh, sorry you live in the uk and/or read too much /pol/
>>
>>1648001
Austria here. Most of the time police won't bother you if some reflector is missing (if you are white). If you do cross a red or take a shortcut Cia pedestrian area etc you might get stopped and they will then check your whole bike and fit every single thing not matching the law you get an increased fine.
>>
File: 1620299136134.jpg (43 KB, 612x612)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1647736
VP-539, slim, sealed bearings and fully rebuildable. Also inexpensive.

There's some pedals on the better side that have the clip/reflector holes on them, I've seen the VP-531 and a few of wellgo's offerings do too. If you don't want the studs, metal BMX pedals have the reflector mounts too and often include reflectors.
>>
>>1647994
back to /pol/ faggotron
>>
>>1647994
based
>>
File: 07031332_2.jpg (19 KB, 533x400)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>1647736
>>1647990
>>1648001
check the laws in your country, not all countries specify pedal reflectors. even if they do, enforcement shouldn't be an issue the vast majority of the time unless perhaps if you draw the police's attention in other ways like if you ride recklessly or if you ride in the dark without other reflectors on at the same time as they happen to set up a checkpoint to check on cyclists like if there are lots of university students who ride drunk etc where you live. picrel is tiny so it doesn't mess too much with the weight/aero/aesthetics of your bike but it's still EU approved and it goes on with a zip tie and has a ball joint so you can position it like on the seatstay or whatever.
>>
is it okay to use a carbon fork without the compression plug?
>>
>>1648068
no
>>
File: Ernest-Khalimov-.jpg (105 KB, 1920x1080)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
Why, yes, I pulled all the reflectors and my dork disc. How did you know?
>>
>>1648018
>BMX pedals
I have pic related in silver on my "beater" (which I actually take care of), they're cheaper than they look (in construction as well as price, 10 bong bucks* but for that you get nylon bushings and that chinese Mystery Metal that's really soft, you know the kind). The "pins" are stamped so there's about as much grip as prison soap.
*got them in Feb 2020. they're probably £35 (where in stock) now. Also got some posh Continental tyres for the same bike around that time, on sale at £9 each because they couldn't shift them (26"), now £20 and out of stock.
>>
>>1647996
>>1647999
I was talking about The United States Of Shartmart, fucknuggets. I don't even think you can get an F350 here.
>>
>>1648061
>Checkpoint for drunk cyclists
In what kind of dystopian shithole do you live? Drunk cycling is the best.
>>
>>1648089
> nylon bushings
Ah yeah BMXers love those damn things, I forget. But there's more models out there with bearings than without, just have to make sure.
As for the other gripes that's par for the course, really, if you actually needed pins then it won't do, and they'll probably be soft aluminum that'll get smeared in a strike instead of cracking like e.g. magnesium.
But honestly for casual use they're miles better than cheapo nylons or the tiny POS quill pedals that come free with bikes. Also, try clips on them sometime, they're surprisingly good like that.
> t. also has $10 silver wellgos on the beater (but with loose ball bearings and clips)
>>
I have these. They are breddy gud.
>>
>>1648096
You have 4 pedals on your bike? Extreme!
>>
File: longbike2.jpg (121 KB, 720x414)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>1648100
That's only ONE of my multi pedal bikes.
>>
File: extreme.jpg (55 KB, 416x354)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>1648105
>Imagine taking this on single track
>>
>>1648105
>what is chain tension?
>>
i find it strange that there's not a paved bike trail that extends coast to coast, at least as far as i can tell in my searching

assuming it didn't harm wildlife, wouldn't it be great to have tens of thousands of miles of paved bike trails all over the place? or at least something that's like 500-1000 miles for a week or so of riding with campsites along the way?

>nb4 hurr durr what are highways and interstates
>>
>>1648105
>Imagine the cable stretch
>>
>>1648135
You can't legally bike on Interstates, genius.
>inb4 why not enter LEO and return via parachute
>>
>>1648105
I like the sns couplers or whatever they’re called
>>
>>1648135
I’m pretty sure there’s like half a dozen country-spanning pavement rides in America, just ride those routes but not during the events
>>
>>1648141
what the hell are you talking about
>>
File: Boeshied-T9-en-burette.jpg (179 KB, 1500x998)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
Whomever shilled this to me, thanks. Just applied some and my chain is really fucking clean.
>>
>>1648105
>Rim brakes with hundreds of pounds to stop
At least they have the Kool Stops.
>>
>>1648160
who thought that photograph would be a good idea
lmao
>>
>>1648135
I assume you're talking about in the US, but check out the trans-canada trail, which I think they renamed "the great trail". It seems like they're trying to do what you described up there.
>>
>>1648144
Yeah it's cool too because it seems like you might be able to take that middle section of 2 riders out and make it a 3-person bike. Or maybe add more sections in it you're a madman.
>>
>>1648182
>trans-canada trail
damn that's pretty sweet bro
do i need canadian citizenship or how the fuck does this shit work? i've never traveled out of the u.s. (don't judge me pls)
>>
>>1648090
you don't really have to worry about ol jeb and his f350, except for when his nephews take it out and start chucking bottles at all and sundry. mainly you have to worry about karen in her fucking mazda cx-5, and refelctors won't help her look up from her phone in time to save you from becoming another dent in its hood
>>
>>1648159
Your mother of course!
>>
>>1648189
That's a good question. I'm not sure what the current deal is with all the covid stuff, but normally you can just go to Canada with no problems. Like if you were to drive, you'd need to have a passport and you'd stop at the border and they'd ask routine shit like, "what are you gonna be doing in Canada and do you have anything illegal in the vehicle." Then I'm sure there are rules regarding how long you can stay in Canada without getting some type of visa, but I'm not sure exactly what they are. Actually, I have a friend who moved to Canada with her girlfriend and lived there for years and would come home periodically and never had any problems. It's kind of weird because they don't stamp your passport like they would if you flew to France or something, so when you come back home they don't really know how long you've been in Canada.
>>
>>1648199
You used to not even need a passport to go between the US and Canada. Last time I went, I used my DL.
>>
>>1648201
Yeah. I remember the first time I went when you needed a passport and I was excited to get a stamp because I'd only ever been to one other country, but they didn't even stamp it and I was sad. Just seems kind of silly.
>>
I'd like to get a 50cc engine kit to slap on a cruiser I have for fun. Does anyone know of a good brand or kit that's decent in price and quality.
>>
>>1648217
No, get outta here you redneck.
>>
>>1648312
Not a redneck just like learning how things work. Never messed with engines, figured a small engine would be something cool to learn on.
>>
File: 1589589421573.jpg (32 KB, 600x606)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1648090
>trying to insult americans by mocking their love of things that you're not even allowed to buy
>>
>>1648135
>>inb4 hurr durr what are highways and interstates
But seriously hurr durr what are highways?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_20
>>
>>1648326
i'm not sure i understand what you're getting at.
>>
>>1648344
Riding a bike on a highway or pretty much any other non-interstate road is legal. Finding a legal route between two places is almost as simple for bikes as cars.
>>
>>1648321
Why lie?
>>
Any tips? >>>/diy/2105632
>>
>>1648346
yes, but you have to share it with automobiles
is it difficult to understand why someone would not want to do that?
>>
are there any good non-fiction books that teach about bikes
>>
>>1648397
good grief
>>
>>1648397
Chuck it in the trash, buy a new one, present the bill to parents
>>
>>1648397
that is truly terrifying
what was the dad thinking (he wasn't)
the number of NPCs is too damn high
>>
>>1647582
>You have a shitty pump.

Bullshit, I have a Topeak JoeBlow Sport III.
>>
File: Klaus.jpg (35 KB, 666x500)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1648397
>>
File: image0-1.png (803 KB, 640x637)
803 KB
803 KB PNG
>>1648360
What makes you think I'm lieing? I'm a computer repair guy for a small shop in a nearby city. In my free time, I work on old radios and computers, never messed with engines. Other than toy steam ones when I was a kid.
>>
>>1648515
Get a motorcycle.
>>
>>1648521
I need a license for that, my idea was to get this thing learn how to ride a motorized 2 wheeled machine and then go for the license.
>>
>>1648523
K
>>
>>1648524
This is quite literally the worst advice thread I've been on in years
>>
>>1648527
K
>>
File: aqua.jpg (14 KB, 236x305)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>1648397
>painted cables
lmao
>>
>>1648523
get a cheap dirtbike if you need to figure out how to ride a motorized 2 wheeled machine
>>
>>1648523
it's not that hard jeez. the biggest thing is to countersteer because a lot of cyclists just "lean" and get incredibly upset whenever the topic of countersteering comes up
>>
>>1648321
Then go to /o/ or /diy/. You're on the wrong board, gashole.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.