[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 27 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

An Arts District cold-storage plant dating to the 1890s would be replaced with housing, offices, a hotel and shops in a proposal unveiled Thursday by Denver developers. With a price tag between $1.5 billion and $2 billion, the complex would rank among the largest L.A. commercial real estate developments in recent memory.

Continuum Partners launched the city approval process for a 10-building project that includes a residential skyscraper at Central Avenue and 4th Street, a historically industrial neighborhood dotted with art galleries, apartments and buzzy restaurants that has become increasingly attractive to tech and entertainment companies including Apple TV, Sony and Warner Music.

The Denver developer seeks to make over Los Angeles Cold Storage’s 7.6 acres for a project called Fourth & Central.

Fourth & Central is intended to feel like a small, walkable community with new buildings that acknowledge the industrial history of the area without appearing too precious in their design, architect Alan Pullman said. His Los Angeles firm Studio One Eleven is overseeing the master plan and designing buildings, but also brought in another architect to make the look of the complex more diverse.

“We want to create a neighborhood that feels like an organic part of the city that grew up over time,” he said, and avoid the design monotony often found in mega-developments.

There will be a public courtyard and pedestrian pathways meant to break the impermeable barrier that the cold-storage complex now creates in the neighborhood.
>>
it will be horrible, like everything in southern california
>>
File: Sodosopa.png (544 KB, 960x540)
544 KB
544 KB PNG
While Claifornia needs more downtown residential space. We all know how this will end.

I bet it gets blocked in courts for years. As PoC groups bitch and moan about gentrification and "muh historical minority communities".
>>
It’s impressive how much the urban infill development continues despite the pandemic.
>>
>/n/ - construction projects
>>
It's embarrassing that a thread died over a 7 acre development in LA. Those are rookie numbers that every non American major city routinely does
>>
this looks too European, are they expecting people to actually walk?
>>
>>1645564
Tell the admins to create /u/ - urbanism then
>>
>>1645569
Pedestrian-oriented development has been really popular in America the last 10 years.
>>
Why just not combine housing, office and retail in a single tower?
Commute by elevator, never leave building?
Never be bothered by shit people cos pass access no strangers?
>>
This is the kind of development LA needs. They’ve been massively expanding transit systems in the last several years so they can pull it off.
>>
File: w01htCQ.jpg (131 KB, 767x1000)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
Time to urban mog you guys. This is the Brightside development in Surrey, Canada. Surrey is a poorish suburban city of metro Vancouver. This will be 3 towers, 1 commercial brewery building and 1 amenity building
>>
File: i100TIn.jpg (126 KB, 1000x773)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>1645843
Street level facing north showing brewery
>>
>>1645843
Does Waterloo get a lot of development?
>>
>>1645845
This is the Passages development just a short walk away
>>
>>1645847
Not like this, it's mostly suburban still. There's open room for more burbs around kitchener-waterloo, it's sorta it's own thing outside toronto
>>
>>1645848
It will be 6 buildings. Disregard background, it's out of date
>>
File: 20210501_205902.jpg (693 KB, 2079x1252)
693 KB
693 KB JPG
>>1645851
All but the blue/green building were made in the last 3 years. 2 more towers are going where the cranes are
>>
>>1645851
Modern manors, fuedalism 2.0 is established.
>>
>>1645843
>>1645845
>>1645848
>>1645851
>>1645854
Surprised to see Whalley here, I drive through it towards work every day. The development growing "inward" towards King George hwy instead of growing out strikes me as really strange. Its going to be filled in, right?
>>
>>1645560
Pandemic handling isn't correlated to population density, merely to policy making. The Japs live in closets and managed to have the virus under control from the beginning because they were smart enough to enact measures and follow them, not just ignore measures or not enact measures in the first place. Then again we're talking about Americans here who seemingly are too fucking dumb to breathe without killing each other so maybe we really should just shove them into the suburbs to rot.
>>
>>1645851
>big new development announced in North America
>towers exceeding 20 stories
>across the street are 2 story warehouses and giant lots dedicated to free parking
Every fucking time. How the fuck does land value work in North American downtowns? If the land is worthless enough for free parking why do you put highrises across the street? If the land is valuable enough to justify highrises why can you afford wasting even more space on free parking across the street?
>>
>>1645848
Very cool, I like the “public square” plaza vibe. It’s very hard to find a public square in American cities.
>>
>>1645913
I think because it’s an industrial area. A lot of times developers build in industrial areas because they’re convenient to downtown but the land is cheap. It’s just on the developer to also build some amenities.
>>
>>1645952
Yeah but if land is so cheap that it can host free parking lots, isn't it more cost efficient to build four five story units or two ten story units instead of one twenty story unit?
>>
>>1645522
All of these new people moving in are going to turn LA traffic from mind bendingly unbearable to straight up just being an overnight thing
>>
>>1645522
Honestly though, as a nimby, I don’t mind this. I think LA is fucking full and that it would be a better place if lots of people just left, like a pressure release valve. But since politicians won’t let that happen, I really like the idea of building new developments like these in the arts district, and hopefully one day skid row, because they’re all areas that no one lives in anyways so if you’re going to build these ugly things it doesn’t actually affect anyone but commuters. Skid row should be up zoned to the max, it’s in a perfect destination, good proximity to transit and no residents to negatively affect but they can’t because muh homeless. But opening up these areas to lots of development just means that they’ll stop trying to upzone comfy low rise neighborhoods, and instead just save it all for the parts of LA so shitty that anything being built there is a good thing.
>>
>>1645989
There will never be a way to solve traffic. As long as there are cars and people there are traffic jams.
>>
>>1645954
Why do that? Vancouver’s a growing, pricey city. So if you paid for the land might as well build up and put a lot of units on it.
>>
>>1645994
exactly, and by attempting to make it more bearable you only encourage more people to drive and ultimately create more traffic
>>
>>1645913
>>1645952
>>1645954
>>1645995
What you are talking about is land value tax and it's not used in North America. We use property tax.

So empty lot next to high rise only pays nothing because there's nothing there to tax. The appraised value is zero.

The 25 story high rise has an appraisal value in the tens of millions. The r taxed accordingly.

In a LVT system both plots would pay closer to same tax.

Obviously LVT is good for cities but would require reworking the entire tax code. Most all of North America funds local government through property tax.
>>
>>1645994
>>1645999

Sure, but a definite way to make traffic worse is bringing in a ton of new road users
>>
I think it fits in to the city pretty well.
>>
>>1645913
>downtowns
LA is sprawl city. That's not its downtown
>>
It pisses me off that people want to upzone comfy low rise residential neighborhoods when LA has a perfectly neat downtown, the only problem is that like 70% of it is random stores that no non-Mexican will ever visit and the rest is like useless warehouses and disgusting homeless people. They could turn the whole area into housing and have an awesome, real downtown, but instead they want to spread the up zoning across the city where no one wants it.
>>
>>1645913
>>1645952
That's area's next to a rail metro line. It's currently typical park and shop commercial built in the 50s. 20 years ago land used to be cheap, now a single family home plot costs a million each. So now this is prime land as it overlooks a ridge, has expanding transit and anchors/is the future downtown of the area
t. My eye doctor used to be that area and I was there all the time
>>
>>1646055
American cities are always poorly zoned. That entire area is shitty single floor industrial land that can be easily replaced. Instead the city has the area across highway 110 up zoned
>>
>>1645896
Approved projects are green, under construction red, proposed in grey. Overall, there's a pretty wide spread to fill in the entire core going on here. This is from 2020, when there were 28,000 units at some stage of development. Should be over 30,000 now. An entire tower sold out in 72 hours, sales are too hot to pass up building here now
>>
>>1645994
Just ban unwashed commoners from driving.
Problem solved.
>>
>>1645913
Cities have accumulated so many restrictions on development that there is a tremendous amount of latent demand for downtown development, but the cost of compliance, after all the required studies and town halls and concessions, is such that the completed project must absolutely maximize its land use intensity to turn a profit. Anything less is not worth building. Thus, this massive discontinuity leads to the visible misallocation of land use you're noticing.
>>
>>1645644
Based arcology poster
>>
>>1646999
Some of the new buildings in LIC are like this.
Jackson Park has food on the bottom, a few tall towers of residential, a pool and tennis courts and a dog park exclusively for residents.
>>
>>1645843
Why does no-one do proper step backs? Now of course Vancouver isn't like New York, but it certainly looks more appealing than going straight up.
>>
YES!!! BIG TECH YES!!!!
>>
>>1645994
Stop building more housing in areas that are reaching max capacity, there, I solved traffic.
>>
How is this thread transportation?
>>
>>1647045
Back then stepbacks were an engineering necessity, now they're a design and amenities choice, above a certain height balconies are useless anyway and stepbacks reduce cost efficiency so you might as well make the whole thing straight.
>>
>>1647058
That just leads to more housing being built outside the area but within commuting distance, which makes traffic even worse. Or if you ban all new housing in a metro area with a growing economy, then people will pile into existing housing at a higher density and convert their front yards into parking lots, making traffic worse.
You can't solve traffic in a metro area over a certain size without adding transit and removing free parking.
>>
>>1647064
>not knowing /n/ traditionally also hosts urban planning threads
NGMI
>>
>>1647081
Stepbacks were a regulatory compliance measure after New York City passed an ordnance requiring them. It was prompted by the construction of a large square-ish skyscraper in Manhattan coinciding with the release of Metropolis making people concerned about their city becoming a collection of sunless urban canyons.
>>
>>1647084
Oh yeah, that as well.
>>
>>1647082
There's plenty of open space in the US for development, there comes a time we should stop investing in housing in an area just like how increasing lanes doesn't help traffic. Everything doesn't HAVE to be condensed in one area. Why restrict ourselves?
>>
>>1647084
I believe setbacks also help reduce wind problems.
>>
>>1647083
I'd say it's very relevant to transport because LA has been expanding their transit systems a lot in the last decade+ and this helps fund it and increase ridership.
>>
>>1647083
They've all been deleted recently too

>>1647147
It's not /n/ related. It's just a redevelopment project.
>>
>>1645559
None of this is true.
>>
>>1645989
It's ready an overnight thing.
>>
>>1647058
>2 story apartment budings
>max capacity
>>
>>1647176
The guy you’re responding to doesn’t actually know anything about LA. Or transportation.
>>
>>1647182
Imagine my shock.
>>
>>1647182
>>1647185
I live in LA and it is absolutely way over capacity, it would be a wonderful place to live with 20% less people there.
>>
>>1647182
>The guy you’re responding to doesn’t actually know anything about LA. Or transportation.
What is that based on you dumb cocksucker? You think just because you give people options they will use them? A few might but the majority will stick to the car.
>>
Meanwhile in my hometown, there’s a lot in the middle of downtown that was cleared to build a 5-story building, but the developer ran out of money, then it sat empty for years.
This year they finally resumed construction and everyone’s relieved.
>>
>>1647144
People can't live where there are no jobs. Companies won't locate where there are no employees or customers. Thus, density begets more density. Agglomeration effects compound economic productivity. If you want a traffic-free life, you have to live in an irrelevant flyover town.
>>
>>1645569
>this looks too European, are they expecting people to actually walk?
well its LA so you cant drive either.
>>
>>1647204
Japan has by far the highest percentage of total trips being by train, and that's still in the low 30% range. So yeah, most trips will still be by car. That doesn't mean it can't be better.
>>
>>1647202
You are mathematically wrong. But keep being the dumbest motherfucker on earth. Working out great for you it seems.
>>
As an Angeleno I’m glad to see taller stuff going up near downtown. 7 decades of suburban sprawl didn’t do shit but give us traffic jams and ridiculous CoL
>>
>>1647514
So adding more housing will help traffic in an area where traffic is problematic?
>>
>>1645522
LA is unfixable. This is gonna be awful like everything else built in Downtown LA since 2000
>>
>>1647517
Imagine being this dumb.
>>
>>1647593
I know right, how could someone think that bringing in more people to an area will help traffic.
>>
>>1647613
Nah, but moving them into a more compact location closer to the closest thing LA has to a city center close to multiple non-car transit options for short and longer commutes is very good for congestion LABrain
>>
>>1647617
>multi family housing in LA is only built in city centers
You're dumb, and it sure as fuck won't help congestion. Bike lanes is the push they're going with but last time I visited LA the protected bike lanes were empty, just like the inside of your head.
>>
>>1647617
This. Building stuff near downtown is good and angelenos are glad to live there, no matter how much it hurts this cagetroll’s feelings.
>>
>>1647635
And what makes you think that the only people that move in those new homes will have jobs in the vicinity? You think they'll be affordable for the people commuting from the outside? You're nuts
>>
I like this new Art Deco style building going up in Hollywood.
Steadily we’re getting more transit-oriented development.
>>
>>1647641
Then they can take the subway or metrorail which is closer or the bus, which has a lot of termini in Downtown? People are trending towards not wanting commutes. Between gas prices spiking the last few decades and the shift in propaganda from "Dirtytown Deadly Subway" to "Nice city and pleasant commute" from Boomers and GenX to Millennials and Zoomers. But you're right, we could wake up tomorrow and everyone moved to Arizona
>>
>>1647647
There is nothing Art Deco about that, I mean you can see the cladding.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.