[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 52 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1619818977811.png (256 KB, 592x590)
256 KB
256 KB PNG
Why would you fags want to sit on a train for 24 hours instead of flying for 3?
>>
I don't understand the context of the question, please elaborate.
>>
Sometimes people travel for the sake of the journey.
>>
>>1645260
high speed rail is
1) cheaper
2) more convenient
3) epic
4) better for environment

Current amtrak is slow and no one likes it. More modern commuter rail lines like Brightline in Florida (soon to have a 125mph line from Orlando to south Florida) and Acela are based. A common way to frame it is that high speed rail fits where trips are too far to drive but too short to fly. Just look at countries with actual good infrastructure.
>>
>>1645261
The context is train infrastructure. He just did what he’s been told a hundred times not to do; he went off teleprompter and ad libbed a little, like he used to be able to before the Alzheimer’s kicked in FIVE FUCKING YEARS AGO, WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING, AMERICAN VOTERS??!?
>>
>>1645271
Oh so this is a politics thread thinly veiled as a transportation thread? Got it. Go back.
>>
>>1645271
>WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING, AMERICAN VOTERS??!?
me like unca joe

>>1645260
In my country the train leaves 15 minutes late and will be at the destination 45 minutes late, for a "6h trip" it's really 7h.
However, the airplane that takes "2h", but you have to be at the airport 3-2h earlier to clear security, along with the people who are going to Central Europe, America, Asia, Saudi or where ever. Then you have to be at the gate atleast 1h early to be able to board orderly, and (depending on what luggage you took with you) at the destination you're spending another 1-2h collecting shit or clearing security. For a total of 7h travel time

I'll take the train any day, less crying infants and they have a restaurant car where you can get hammered (it's more acceptable to drink here)
>>
It’s pretty comfy shitposting and watching the scenery go by plus I can get up and take piss whenever I want and I don’t have to get my ass worked like Kermit the frog by TSA every time I want to travel somewhere
>>
America is just too large.

In the UK HSR would make the whole country a 5 hour ride away at most, so it works.
>>
>>1645292
don't take the train across the whole US then dummy. I don't want to have to drive 6 hours just to leave the state, nor do I want to deal with a flight (>>1645284)
>>
>>1645271
I didn't vote for that senile shit bag.
[spoiler]Most people didn't either. :^)[/spoiler]
>>
File: 1597274658090.jpg (235 KB, 1180x2048)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>1645260
https://twitter.com/i/status/1388226335282286594

Thank god dignity has at last been restored to our government. Russia and China will never fuck with us now that Based Biden is in office.
>>
File: 1605822826062.jpg (33 KB, 1080x732)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>1645271
>AMERICAN VOTERS
>implying
>>
>>1645263
Good post.
>>
>>1645263
But what if they spend trillions to build it and everyone just kind of prefers the other options so no one uses it and it goes bankrupt like Eurostar in Europe except we have to keep paying for it because of sunk cost
>>
>>1645326
> other options
Well there's your problem. You just have to eliminate the other options :^)
>>
>>1645326
>what if they spend trillions of their $80b budget?
>>
>>1645263
It's not going to be proper high speed rail
If you're not riding for the scenery, why would anyone go for the option that is more expensive than flying and driving, takes longer than driving your own way, on top of having to go through security.
>>
>>1645334
You say that ironically, but government contracts are cost plus, which is how we end up with shit like the f35
>>
>>1645284
>For a total of 7h travel time

you describe a problem in the USA as well. If Im going anywhere from White River Junction Vermont to NY, boston or DC it is faster to take the train.

Getting from milwaukee->chicago->Detroit->cleveland-> buffalo it is faster to drive.

Unless you are driving 8+ hours or starting off in LA at rush hour it is almost always faster to drive. Its the 500 milers + with no rail where flying is faster.

I live in St louis and if I wanted to get to Jacksonville FLA it would take 8 hours car, 5 hours plane (from my house to my hotel) and 2 days by Amtrak (taking the city of new orleans then the dixie runner)
>>
>>1645286
Buy the lineskip pass, plebe
>>
People in Russia are willing to take a train from Moscow to Vladivostok that takes 7 days over a plane that takes 8 hours and costs roughly the same.
>>
>>1645358
Cheapest train ticket Moscow Vladivostok is $100, avia is $220. Consedering that median russian wage is $400 per month you get why Russians pick cheap here.
>>
>>1645260
>he never saved on first day hotel by taking a comfy overnight sleeper train
never lived
>>
>>1645260
Because that 3 hours of flight means 5 hours extra airport misery. On a train I just board with a ticket and lay back, no TSA dickery and dealing with crowds
>>
>>1645260
Airports are hell incarnate and flying costs several times more.
>>
>>1645276
Light rail is a political issue. The President is making it his baby so people are going to bring him up in a thread about it. Get over it. Nobody came from anywhere to "go back" to- except perhaps you, whose behavior indicates beliefs not inline with the culture of this website.
>>
Unless you live right next to the train station, the train isn't without its additional time cost as well.
I don't have HSR where I live, but when I'm taking long distance train, my train to the central station takes 30 minutes and then I have to wait at the station for 45 minutes (I need to add some margin in case my local train is cancelled and I need to take the next train). That adds more than 1 hour to the train trip, so train does compare slightly worse to flight than people say.
Trains are still good though.
>>
File: 1614266707786.jpg (97 KB, 525x525)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>1645260
Everything Biden says is confusing, even when in context. Also

>Haha drumpft we have our own hats
>>
>>1645271
>implying voting
>2021

You are either rich enough to have "servants" or you are going to be hunted like a dog after the Great Reset. I assume there will be trains.
>>
>>1645418
Every board is a politics board on 2021 4channel huh
>>
File: 1617167655933.jpg (69 KB, 573x680)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1645433
You don't need a working brain to read a teleprompter and rubber stamp whatever the cia puts on your desk.
>>
File: 1618742452006.png (330 KB, 358x476)
330 KB
330 KB PNG
>>1645448
>that article

Burgerland is doomed (and that's a good thing). Japan is better anyway.
>>
I live in California, and the only line that makes any sense is San Francisco to Los Angeles.

We can't even Fucking get that built! The state has sunk 10 Billion already and don't have Fucking shit to show for it!

Now they are talking about scaling back because it will supposedly take $100 Billion to complete an LA --> SF line. 100 Fucking Billion!

So now they are only building this and "hopefully" more money for the project will free up. Merced to Fucking Bakersfield are you Fucking SHITTING ME right now hepcats!? And they're saying they may not even have enough money to Fucking finish it!

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-02-22/california-bullet-train-dragados-design-changes

And there is no way this thing is going to go Fucking 200 mph sustained, no Fucking way.
>>
>>1645526

I mean they've been doing this for 13 years. 13 Fucking years and they don't even have the land all purchased yet for the Fucking first stretch!

China Fucking built the entire Beijing–Guangzhou high speed rail line 1400 miles of track and had it fully opened in that same amount of time!

For only $44 Billion dollars!
>>
>>1645350
>going through security
Lmao there is literally no TSA groping involved in train travel.
>>
>>1645326
>inb4 REE STOP EXPOSING MY LIES
>>
>>1645260
Round trip train from Amsterdam to Paris on the Thalys is 35€

Compared to a flight from New York to DC(shorter distance of the two) buying tickets two weeks out
>pic related
not to mention that flying on giant American airliners is one of the most stressful unenjoyable travel experiences you can have
>>
>>1645260
Because air travel sucks, is unsustainable, you don't always have to be instantly somewhere else, and there are loads of purposeful places in-between.
>>
>>1645418
>beliefs not inline with the culture of this website
lel

what you're gonna do, downvote him?
>>
>>1645615
Nobody travels from NY to DC roundtrip except tourists and feds
>>
I took Amtrak from Little Rock, AR to Los Angeles, CA. Then I connected with another train that took me down to San Diego, CA.

The passengers were only a little classier than the ones on Greyhound. Fewer felons, but they're still your typical Wal-mart shopper. Women with grotesquely large asses riddled with cellulite barely hidden behind tight, brightly-colored pajama pants. The entire train smelled of cigarettes, urine and body odor. I saw at least two people with downs, and there was a Mexican (who was on his way to Arizona and resembled a Breaking Bad character) smoking weed in the bathroom.

I'd say a little over half of the views were either desert, trees, or the industrial areas of poor towns.

If -- IF -- we were to have a culture that took care of itself, and IF we were to either reposition the track somewhere beautiful without harming the wildlife or move the industrial stuff and replace it with World Wonder-like stops, and IF we were to do this all over the country so that you could quickly take a train from Sticksville, AR to Bumfuck, OK without needing a car...then it would be the greatest gift to humanity since Wikipedia or something.

How can someone be browsing /n/ or /trv/ and not want to have a massive train system where we can all give up our dependency on cars and take the train and then a bike the rest of the way.

By the way, I want to keep our interstates and highways and continue maintaining them, but we should make them motorcycle only. We can buy all the gas stations and create an agency that manages them like national state parks. I think recreational driving should be a thing, but let's keep the cars on race tracks. Driving a car through the hills can be fun, but it's not as fun as a motorcycle, and cars are at their most fun when you can race them.
>>
>>1645623
what are you talking about? it's the busiest trip on the NEC
>>
>>1645629
I mean to be fair the routes you chose aren’t known for their classy clientele. KCMO-Chicago is mostly classy folks and the Mennonites (I guess they’re allowed to take trains and not allowed to drive/fly? Idk)
>>
>>1645623
Lmfao it’s the biggest city in the US and the fucking capital of the country you autist
>>
>>1645629
You’re biggest issue is that you didn’t get a sleeper room like any self respecting human would do and instead went coach class with the other unwashed masses
>>
>>1645448
Trump walks slowly down a ramp and the media dissects his health and well-being for a whole damn week yet Biden could legit have dementia and the media would simp anyway. Your country is doomed, Burgerland. DOOMED.
Anyway, why would we need HSR when planes exist and are far safer? Exactly like OP said.
>>
>>1645656
>>1645669
I'm overdue for a long trip. I was thinking of taking a route that follows both borders and both coasts to go in a rough perimeter around the country. How would you personally plan that trip, assuming you wanted go on it?
>>
>>1645536
Except in DC at Union Station. They have drug dogs and everything.
>>
>>1645629
Your first half was sport on. Tariffs, re-industrialization, and maybe national service will fix most social woes.
Toll the Interstates and improve regional transit transit connections to Airports and avoid black hole of funding "National HSR." Amtrak Long Distance needs to stop being the hybridized Boomer time machine and Greyhound junkie mover on rails, it just doesn't work. Take notes from Austria's Nightjet, kill off the middle of nowhere stops, shake down the unions, and do your damnedest to get the average speed up.
>>
>>1645260
Cuz usually I’m only going like 50-200 miles. Not every haul is a long haul, and sometimes I want to carry an ounce of grass without trouble
>>
>>1645678
DC Union Station is an anomaly cause it’s literally on federal land a good toss of a ball away from the Capitol and a golf swing from the White House. Also Weed’s legal in DC they just harass people
>>
Because platzkarts bring people together.
>>
>>1645676
It would have to depend on where my starting point is. Then you would have to figure you would be spending a day or two in each city stop as trains leave at different times and days. Regardless it’s not going to be cheap.
>>
>>1645796
50-200 mile trips are actually the ideal use case for cars, considering they can be run at their most fuel efficient speed for longer, and almost all of the proposed routes have little to no traffic anyways. They’re way better for trips of those length than getting around the city, or going a plane length distance.

In actuality if people actually rode the trains, it would probably put a lot of people in roadside stops and small towns out of work, since it’s impossible to stop somewhere on a whim if you’re riding a train. Just seems like a more sad place to me, no more stopping with your friends to see the world’s largest pumpkin. Just a pre planned, static route, and just wait until they find a way to advertise to train passengers.
>>
>>1645816
Not to mention that if you factor in the time it takes to get to the station, then wait for your train, then wait for everyone to board it probably takes the same amount of time as hopping in the car in your driveway with whatever cargo you’ve got and hitting the road.
>>
50-200 mile trips are also comfortably within most new EV’s ranges as well, so if you care about that sort of thing you can make your road trip zero-emissions.
>>
>>1645816

ust wait until they find a way to advertise to train passengers.

trains are full of ads in the UK
>>
>>1645536
not yet
how long do you think we can go without some incel shooting up a train, followed by waves of politicians talking about how we must "Secure the railways for all Americans™" or some shit?
>>
>>1646955
It'll go about as quickly as some incel shooting up a bus, which gave us TSA for buses.
>>
>>1646957
TSA for buses is already a thing here in LA, they are the ones that enforce mask laws on transit here
>>
>>1646965
and we will definitely have masks whenever the new HSR you're afraid of is actually complete, so makes sense to me
>>
Makes me chuckle how people claim there won't be some sort of screening like in an airport. The only positive from HSR is that it's generally safer than flying. Airplane is still faster and cheaper
>>
>>1645263
I just got back from Japan and traveling on the Shinkansen was amazing.
>>
>>1646997
ain't it? i lived in Tokyo for a bit, took it down to kyoto and back. But honestly I miss the robust network throughout the city more than the shinkansen (being from Florida)
>>
>>1646972
>it's generally safer than flying.
Is it actually? That's almost hard to believe given how rare deaths are from airline operations, in the US anyway, and it's hard to compare with the lack of HSR here.
>>
>>1647009
They probably lump in air disasters from 20+ years ago.
>>
>>1645260
There isn't a no-fly list for trains
>>
>>1646972
Why would there be? The reason we have screening on planes is that 9/11 showed that sandnigger terrorists can use them as improvised missiles. You can't drive a train into the Pentagon.
>>
>>1645260
Better question is why would I want to sit in a pressurised steel tube for 3 hours when I can sit in my comfy chair at home for any amount of time I please?
>>
>>1647098
Yet
>>
>>1647100
You can kill a lot of people in a small area with so little pushback. It'd be begging for a terrorist attack, did you see the Boston Marathon bombing coming?
>>
>>1647100
What about the attempted ramming of the USNS Mercy?
>>
>>1647110
I guess that's why Japan has drug sniffing dogs, X-rays, and patdowns before allowing anyone to enter the train station after the whole sarin attack thing in the '90s... oh wait
>>
>>1647233
All it takes is one catastrophe then everyone cries about what could've prevented it. And don't compare Japan to the US, they're not hated.
>>
>>1647237
Next you're going to tell me that the TSA is actually effective at stopping turrurists lmao
>>
>>1647241
Can you explain how it isn't?
>>
>>1647257
Crew exemptions are a gaping hole in the TSA screening process that can allow a compromised flight crew or airport employee to bring pretty much anything they want into the "secure" area. And that's not even considering that TSA screeners have had abysmal records when it comes to finding weapons in the bags they screen in the first place. They are security theatre whose only purpose is to make it "look" like flying is safer.

The reasons why you haven't seen another 9/11 or bombing incident on a western airline are as follows:
>Stronger cockpit doors, coupled with flight crew using barriers to prevent physical access to the forward cabin when the cockpit door is open, which has prevented most hijackers from gaining control of the aircraft since 9/11.
>In addition to the previous item, in many cases would-be hijackers were overpowered by passengers during their hijacking attempts, because now passengers are aware that hijacking could very well mean their deaths, rather than just an unexpected detour to some nearby airport.
>Increased international cooperation in the intelligence community, to help shut down potential hijacker/bomber cells before they can actually carry out their plans (this is responsible for the failure of most of the bombing attempts on western airlines post-9/11)

The only things TSA is more effective at than the pre-9/11 security arrangements is delaying and stressing out travelers. Oh, and wasting taxpayer money. No, I'm not a Repub/Lolbert/Conservative.
>>
>>1647265
Fucking based. Defund TSA.
>>
>>1647257
>>1647265
Also, just the idea of having "expedited" security available to anybody for just a fee and a one-time criminal background check makes a mockery of the whole thing. Oh, I paid the TSA $75 so now I can leave my laptop in its laptop bag and keep my shoes on. Why do I have to do this in the first place if I haven't paid the fee? Obviously it isn't necessary from a security standpoint if I can pay to avoid it. There's a reason that program is jokingly called ExtortionCheck.
>>
>>1645262
homeless got it
>>
>>1647241
You don't have to think the TSA is effective to think lawmakers aren't gonna push to go crazy with so-called terrorism prevention at the first sign (read: after an incident) of trouble.
>>
>>1647265
Not to mention that it was the stated policy on all airlines to cooperate with hijackers prior to 9/11, since they saw a struggle breaking out on flight to be a bigger risk than some hijacker asking for a detour to mexico or demanding some ransom money that the airline was insured against anyways. Banks have the same policy with bank robbers today.
9/11 happened because the pilots had been explicitly trained to hand over controls of the aircraft, not because people were allowed to bring box cutters on board or take a flight without getting anal probed first.
>>
>>1645260
what ever has sleeper cabins
>>
>>1647241
>Next you're going to tell me that the TSA is actually effective at stopping turrurists lmao
um, no I'm not? government used 9/11 and shoe bomber as an excuse to shove the privacy invasion down everyone's throats. They were salivating at the chance and pounced on it. Grow the fuck up
>>
>>1645816
>In actuality if people actually rode the trains, it would probably put a lot of people in roadside stops and small towns out of work, since it’s impossible to stop somewhere on a whim if you’re riding a train.
you're right, that's why small towns in the states are doing so great and aren't just a series of mcdonalds and gas stations connected to interstates. Truly helping out the local economy!
>>
>>1647112
gonna need a faster train
>>
>>1647687
A train would just help the few towns it stops at and hurt every other town greatly by causing less people to drive through if people actually rode it
>>
>>1647697
but people don't actually drive through towns on our interstate system. They stop at exits that are full of chain fast food and gas stations, and then they hop back on the highway and continue on. They aren't helping the local economy at all.
>>
>>1647703
People staff those places, and without that road traffic they’ll lose their jobs.
>>
>>1647705
except those same stores are the only source of food for the locals, they wouldn't close
>>
>>1647706
I’m pretty sure the locals get their food from grocery stores and not roadside gas stations anon.

Less road traffic would hurt roadside communities anon.
>>
>>1647708
lmao, your average american in these regions is just eating at fast food joints and driving all the time.
>>
>>1647709
Yeah, totally.
>>
>>1645355
>Unless you are driving 8+ hours or starting off in LA at rush hour it is almost always faster to drive.
Even that isn't always necessarily true. LA-SF is a 5+ hour drive even if you do it in the middle of the night when there's no traffic, and you might end up with a similar travel time if you're dumb enough to fly LAX-SFO, but if you do Burbank-San Jose/Oakland you can be house to hotel in like 3 hours.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.