[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 34 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: TTC_subway_map_2018.png (539 KB, 2000x1333)
539 KB
539 KB PNG
she's not much but she gets the job done
>>
Imagine taking the yellow line between St. George and Bloor-Yonge because you are too lazy to go to the right platform
>>
>>1642242
Pictures of the trains...
>>
>>1642242
Is it safe? Or is it like in all the other progressive liberal shit holes?
>>
>Gets the job done

that shit is so crowded it's a literal human crush risk in the bloor-yonge interchange
>>
>>1642252
that's what hobos do
>>
>>1642254
very safe except if you're a white woman
>>
>>1642254
You can walk through the worst "hood" in Toronto alone at midnight and you'll be totally fine. You're more likely to be run over by a jeet or chink in a more gentrified neighbourhood.
>>
>You can walk through the worst "hood" in Toronto alone at midnight and you'll be totally fine.
Sure
>>
>>1642242
>she
>>
>>1642297
Not if you’re white
>>
>>1642254
toronto has a lower murder rate than every single US state except Idaho, South Dakota,Iowa,Vermont and Maine
i dont think americans appreciate how absurdly violent their cities are compared to the rest of the developed world, brazil or south africa tier
>>
ITT workhorses
>>
>>1642297
I wouldn't say that's the case, I've known people who've gotten mugged at night. Not that it's a hugely common occurrence.

Either way it's way safer than americans assume based on their rather dangerous average for big cities
>>
>>1642242
reminder that a downtown relief line has been needed for decades and will never, ever be built.
reminder that the city grows by hundreds of thousands every year, putting further strain on an already at-capacity subway system.
reminder that it will always get worse.
>>
>>1642845
people are moving out of the city midwit
>>
>>1642675
I'm white, never once feared for my safety anywhere in Toronto. Regent Park, Jane and Finch, Queen and Sherbourne, etc. Homeless can be agressive for smokes or change but never even remotely threatening. Just don't be in a gang and you're fine. Love those videos on YouTube by Jamaicans/Trinis trying to make Toronto hoods look "hard." they're nothing on the "wrong side of town" in some mid-sized cities in South Carolina.
>>
>>1642848
There are more people moving in than out
>>
>>1642869
wrong look at the demogrpah retard
>>
>>1642679
damn really? what the fuck
>>
>>1642866
if you have your phone out or air pods in and it's late at night that would be extremely risky in regent park
>>
>>1642242
>still no Queen line even though the detailed, shovel-ready detailed engineering plan was completed in 1959
>>
>>1643210
WATCH OUT BADMAN IS COMING FOR YA YUTE
ON GOD MANS HAS AIRPODS IN HE CANT HEAR US
>>
>>1642242
>has to designate blue as a different line even though its a continuation of literally a straight line
bravo, trono
>>
>>1642242
>line 3 and 4
SOVL
>>
>>1644207
it's a completely separate line with different vehicles and requires passengers to transfer
why would it be the same colour as line 2?
>>
>>1644405
that's interesting. i wonder why a completely separate line was built, instead of extending the existing line?
>>
>>1644421
>i wonder why a completely separate line was built, instead of extending the existing line?
politics. if something retarded happens with transit the answer is always politics
>>
>>1644405
Could have done something similar to the Mattapan line I guess.
>>
>>1644421
that's an interesting story, it's a bunch of bullshit politics yes

they wanted to build something new and futuristic and test out advanced new 80s tech, the trains are run by linear induction motors and are fully automated with no drivers unlike the rest of the subway

plus it also was able to take much tighter curves on already existing right-of-way due to smaller rolling stock

there were plans to build way more transit infrastructure like it but it turns out subways work just fine, also the ontario conservatives have blown up every transit project they could in the past 40 or so years
>>
why would they do that? imagine if the norristown line was blue like the market-frankford line. it wouldn't do anyone any favours
>>
>>1642914
The US has some problems
Sadly they get amplified by guns, it ruins the funs for everyone.
>>
>>1644480
meant for>>1644457
>>
>>1644485
Never seen anyone spell niggers that way
>>
>>1644564
Niggers get amplified by guns, yes.
>>
>>1644421
Well the story pretty much starts back in like 1973 when they were discussing extending Line 2 from Warden to Kennedy. At the time there was talk briefly by the politicians in the then Borough of Scarborough about extending the line to the planed Scarborough Town Centre. These discussions eventually stopped when the cost for the 1 stop extension to Kennedy came in at around $73 Million. Remember this is the 1970's and a further extension beyond would have easily ballooned the cost beyond $100 Million. For comparison to get the original segment of Line 2 to Woodbine and Keele (the line was originally supposed to run between St.George and Greenwood) cost only an additional $60 Million a decade prior.

At the time the funding structure for these types of projects was different and Metro Toronto bore the brunt of the cost. This is different from today were funding for these types of projects are split equally between the City, the Province, and the Feds.When everyone saw the cost it was decided they would use a cheaper alternative. This was supposed to be a "High-Speed Streetcar Line" (what we would today call an LRT line). 2 were supposed to be built in fact, 1 in the east; the Scarborough RT, and one in the west; the Etobicoke RT. Both lines were actually supposed to have branch services. In the case of the Scarborough RT, one branch would follow the current route and evenutally head to the Malvern neighbourhood, while another was to run to Markham Road and eventually Centennial College. The Etobicoke RT which was to start at Kipling Station was to have a branch running to the Airport and another branch to York University. All of this came to an end in the early 80's when the Province stepped in and essentially blackmailed Metro Toronto into using there ICTS trains (Vancouver and Detroit also use these trains).

TLDR; Shit would have been expensive and no one wanted to pay for it.
>>
File: ezgif-2-e69deb781852.jpg (404 KB, 1280x1791)
404 KB
404 KB JPG
For it's the Beenleigh line, stopping all stations. The next station is Altandi
>>
>>1644207
>>1644405
rekt
>>
>>1644405
>>1644799
thats exactly what im getting at you tard. why make it a different line with different rolling stock instead of just extend the green one?
>>
>>1645061
because it's a new line
>>
File: rautatientori_lanteen.png (202 KB, 7481x1906)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
>>1642242
Have you SEEN the Helsinki metro?
>>
>>1644593
here's your metro bro
>>
Any plans for expansion?
>>
>>1645968
They're building and LRT from Kennedy to Eglinton and Eglinton West. Gonna be in a tunnel for decent amount, then at grade in a central median
>>
File: ontario-line.jpg (108 KB, 1020x574)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>1642845
>relief line
isn't that what the planned ontario line is for?
>>
>>1646006
>science center
i didn't ask for this nostalgia trip
>>
File: buffalo-map.gif (8 KB, 500x634)
8 KB
8 KB GIF
she's not much but she gets the job done
>>
>>1646236
does she really though?
>>
>>1646236
that's pretty pathetic, even for america
>>
>>1646760
What's most pathetic is that the majority of the line is built as a high-quality subway, but the downtown portion is a barebones street-running light rail operation.
>>
File: TerminalSW[1].jpg (199 KB, 940x587)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>1642242
This was the only local subway (and the only privately owned subway in the world) when I was a kid. Originally known as the Leonard's M&O Subway, later the Tandy Center Subway when the building changed hands. It ran 0.7 miles and had 5 stops. 4 to the parking lot and 1 at the shopping mall/corporate headquarters building it served and only lasted from 1963 to 2002. It feels like a weird fever dream now.
>>
>>1646915
Why did they tunnel in the suburbs?
>>
>>1646943
Idk maybe the NIMBYs forced it. Downtown Buffalo is basically a nothing zone and I can't imagine any constituency would have opposed an above-ground train line when it was constructed. It's a pretty cool place to visit - I love it here. Check this place out: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/120-Lincoln-Pkwy_Buffalo_NY_14222_M35856-63121
>>
>>1647139
who is gonna drop 2 mil to be the mr. burns of buffalo?
>>
>>1646933
I know exactly what you’re talking about. I never got to ride on it but I’ve seen the cars. Weird stuff.
>>
>>1646933
There are PCC's under those militated bodies
>>
>>1647207
The tunnels and the old station are still there I think
>>
>>1645464
wat
I've never seen this in my life

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.