[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Will Joe Biden fund mainline electrification as part of his infrastructure package? Will Joe bring back the Little Joes?
>>
File: 1610814452349.webm (665 KB, 360x360)
665 KB
665 KB WEBM
>>1635310
Is "little joes" the nickname he gives his razadyne?
>>
Okay hear me out... what if we spent half the subsidy budget on electrifying amtrak and just dumped the other half into a fare subsidy program to get people to ACTUALLY RIDE the current system?
>>
>>1635310
Is electrification even practical in areas like that? Modern steam would be more practical.
>>
>>1635322
>electrifying amtrak
Why?
>>
>>1635322
No we need better lines and better trains.
>>
>>1635323
>Modern steam
>Practical
Pick 1
>>
>>1635467
This is why you can't engage foamers to find practical ways to improve passenger rail, they keep bringing up meme ideas like "electrifying Amtrak" and won't let go of the past "modern steam." They're just too autistic.
>>
>>1635310
Joe Biden was already serving as a US senator when the Milwaukee Road was still electrified. It de-electrified under his watch, what makes you think he would bring it back?
>>
>>1635470
Electric trains are modern steam - so modern that the steam part is stationary, efficient and far, far away from the actual train.
>>
>>1635431
fuck no. That falls under fake food in the dining car and some token hire that has no business working for humans.
>>
>>1635505
why would a delaware senator intervene in the de-electrification of a midwestern class I?
>>
>>1635323
Yes.

50 kv lines. Which are one step up from residence lines. Would be sufficient to power the trains.
>>
>>1635534
ive ridden amtrak to /from los angeles and its literally hell
>>
>>1635676
i rode it to/from new york city and it was comfy
>>
>>1635696
Probably 1st class, then.
>>
>>1635676
>>1635696
Amtrak in the NEC is fine and PHL to NYC is great, WAY nicer than the fucking Greyhound albeit not cheap especially if you don't book in advance. I second anon, it was comfy when I used to take the route a few times a month. Not even first class required, the regular Keystone was fine, the seats are massive and you have so much leg room.

I took 1st class on an Acela once (I had a free upgrade from their loyalty program) and it was neat (nothing crazy though). Free snacks, hot towel, lunch service (if you wanted), and a more modern carriage.
>>
>>1635701
no my tickets were 70 dollars, same cost as the bus
>>
File: why i dont take trains.jpg (105 KB, 1531x429)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
Doesn't matter what they do with Amtrak. Until they do something about pic related, no one is going to use it. As is, air travel is both faster and cheaper. Availability also sucks, but that's partly a function of ridership.
>>
>>1635670
He wasn't elected to the Delaware state senate, he was elected to the US senate to pass national legislation. If he claims to care about the nation's passenger rail service, he should have been equally concerned with saving the most efficient part of the nation's freight system.
>>
Jannies are faggots that can't handle the truth that modern rail is garbage in the USA is garbage and the reasons why scares them.
>>
>>1635814
>He wasn't elected to the Delaware state senate, he was elected to the US senate
by the citizens of Delaware. you clearly have no idea how politics works if you think some federal east coast senator is going to have a midwestern freight railway as his hill to die on. the actual viable parts of the railway were simply acquired by CP.
>>1635942
protip black people aren't behind the chronic disinvestment in rail and the absurdly large amounts of spending in road construction that has crippled american rail since ww2 ended
>>
>>1635745
>why i don't take trains
>posts 1000 mile journey
literally no rides trains over those kinds of distances except poor russians, chinese and students interrailing across europe
meanwhile on the NEC, Amtrak services carry 3/4 of all air/rail passengers because that is a part of the country where rail travel actually makes sense
>>
>>1635733
I hope the Avelia trainsets have proper lounges for First Class.
>>
>>1636074
Jews did it
>>
>>1636199
Robert Moses in the singular
>>
>>1636080
>literally nobody rides over those kinds of distances except *lists two of the only countries with cities as far apart as the US*

If continental train travel was cheaper than air travel, you bet your ass I'd take the extra few hours to go by train. I'm positive many Americans would agree.
>>
>>1635310
The infrastructure project should be more like 20 trillion instead of two
>>
>>1636228
I wonder if Amtrak keeps the price at a point where long distance trains are mostly full to justify its continued service, but high enough that adding another train isn't justified because railroads don't want more Amtrak trains
>>
>>1635323
Definitely in the PNW.
The amount of dams along the Columbia River is enough to provide cheap electricity.

>>1635671
Could it be possible to make a 2 x 50kV system like the one detailed here?
It would need heavier duty transformers, but result in a 75% reduction of losses along the transmission lines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25_kV_AC_railway_electrification#2_x_25_kV_autotransformer_system
>>
>>1636228
It won't ever be unless it's 100% subsidied, air travel is cheaper than most international rail journeys in Europe
>>
>>1635422
To go more than 120 or however fast the diesels max speed is
>>
>>1635470
True. An actual way to improve it would be legit just more routes and better passenger cars; also cheaper food. Also, there should be more advertising for Amtrak. Most people I talk to where I live don’t even know taking the train somewhere is an option.
>>
>>1636330
Electrification isn’t very likely at all but if I had to guess I would say Vancouver-Seattle-Portland would get electrified in addition to Detroit-Chicago.
>>
>>1636454
>Electrification isn’t very likely at all but if I had to guess I would say Vancouver-Seattle-Portland would get electrified in addition to Detroit-Chicago.

I do agree with your point, the US isn't really dense enough to justify it. Even in the areas where it is, for freight it's cheaper to have a single fleet of diesels that can go anywhere than electrifying and swapping between electrics and diesels on different parts of the network.
>>
>>1636456
Right but usually Amtrak owns the electrified tracks so it doesn’t matter to freight trains anyways.
>>
biden is a rich boomer and is likelier to defund rail infra to spend it on highways as was the norm before he went senile
>>
>>1636456
BNSF and the Canadians are messing with battery electric motors and hydrogen motors.

They'll dick around with them, and realize they're not worth it.

Total electrification of traind is low hanging fruit for decarbonizing transport. Can be done for less than 200 billion over 2 or 3 decades. Which is basically chump change for the federal budget.

Once a major corridor is electric. You could send pure electric trains on just that. While still operating diesels.
>>
>>1635310
>Will Joe Biden fund mainline electrification as part of his infrastructure package?
Why do you want to make railroads worse?
Are you chink chong spy?
You should be hanged.
>>
>>1636448
Max diesel speed record was 148mph.
Today you can do better but why. Plane is faster anyway.
>>
>>1636505
Replacing thousands of barely maintained and functional diesel units. No more particulates and noise. Less likely to fail. Less maintenance. Lower and more stabile energy prices. No need for fuel racks and fuelers.
>>
>>1635322
No, stop thinking practically. We must bring back the Pacific Extension because some autist on a Norwegian culinary arts imageboard wants it
>>
>>1636487
But there's no incentive to do so.
Why spend 200 billion up front when the current system works just fine?
>>
>>1636567
It's an easy emissions source to replace. The railroads could probably get the feds to pay for most of it.
>>
>>1636588
Feds won't pay for it unless the Biden goes nuts, and the Fed Reserve cranks the money printers way higher.
Plus 1 train takes many more trucks off the roads, it's very energy efficient per ton transported (though not as much as shipping).
>>
>>1636602
But it's still the easiest to decarbonize. No new technology. And the costs to the feds over a decade or so is trivial. It's a shovel ready jobs program too.
>>
>>1636553
if this were a advantage it would already be done.

Electric traction is more cost effective when trains have high utilization ratio (i.e. metro-like operation: train keeps going back and forth all day), which isn't the case for freight operations.

Even in countries with large electrified networks like Germany and France freight companies still use diesel trains.
>>
>>1636608
>But it's still the easiest to decarbonize
It requires raising bridges and tunnels.

The tiny UK haven't completed it in 60 years, but you think it would be easier in the third largest country in the world?
>>
File: 1616562878148.jpg (224 KB, 720x960)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
Because it makes very little sense. Electrification will make sense if the US builds some new dedicated corridors like India's WDFC or China's Menghua railroad. That is, very specialized railways with high utilization and somewhat isolated from the rest of the network.

I don't see this happening in the US, as there is no need. There are so many other things to spend infrastructure money on.
>>
There are many other things that could be done for rail. Offer grants for businesses wanting to connect to the rail. Subsidize the reactivation of closed lines..
>>
>>1636564
>We must bring back the Pacific Extension
Yes.
>>
File: scan0034_6074380fed24f.jpg (447 KB, 1000x734)
447 KB
447 KB JPG
Build Back Better
>>
File: box.jpg (638 KB, 1002x611)
638 KB
638 KB JPG
>>
>>1637055
you know the north could learn from us civilized southerners and third rail everything
>>
electric freight outside of the NEC is pretty much a dumb meme

t. uncle pete belen sub divison
>>
>>1637804
Third rail can not carry enough current.
>>
>>1635310
No. In order to construct anything, the government needs to buy out part of the construction sector for these projects. This means less real estate being built, and real estate is most of America's GDP. Most citizens have no job or house, so there's no reason to build infrastructure for them. Just build houses and sell them to middle eastern kings. US isn't even a real country.
>>
>>1636506
>CARS AND PLANES ONLY
>>
>>1637914
TransSiberian Railroad
>>
>>1637914
Post your paystub you little bitch
>>
You will see the PNW re-electrified in your lifetime and you will be happy.
>>
>>1642876
>You will see the PNW re-electrified in your lifetime and you will be happy.
All mainlines or fuck off
>>
>>1636332
>It won't ever be unless it's 100% subsidied
it should be
>>
File: 695171982110752809.png (21 KB, 85x82)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>1635422
Fuck Diesel
>>
>>1635310
Hopefully. As long as Amtrak is averaging 40 mph it's going to be a meme way to travel. I really want them to succeed so I can stop getting groped by Shaniqua at the TSA but adding yet more shitty slow trains isn't going to cut it.
>>
>>1635310
*blocks your path*
>>
>>1636506
>Plane is faster anyway.
Not when you factor in the extra hour you spend in security, trying to get everything to fit into a carry-on bag, etc. unless you're going cross-country
>>
>>1646484
After a few hundred miles, flying becomes the better option timewise
>>
>>1646483
*improves your right of way*
>>
>>1646509
>pantographs, engage TALL mode
>>
>>1646505
More than 750 miles and you're just riding the train because you don't want to fly or you have a sense of adventure
>>
>>1635322
If the system didn't suck hairy goat balls people would ride it even without the subsidy. Avoiding the TSA alone is a powerful incentive. The problem is that it takes 12 hours to get to the next state over, not that ticket prices for coach seats are particularly worse than for flights.
>>
>>1636080
>I want trains to be a viable mode of transportation in the US
>but not between major cities, that's too far
>>
>>1637804
The only valid use for third rails is electrocuting niggers.
>>
>>1647094
who are you quoting, champ?
>>
File: 1422653730268.jpg (54 KB, 800x446)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>Will Joe Biden fund mainline electrification as part of his infrastructure package?

Remember When Jimmy Carter electrified the main lines and there was electric freight locomotives ....

Jesus you people are so easily fooled it is almost embarrassing
>>
>>1637804
the north is filled with people who think they are better than everyone else although they love letting the government shit revisionist history down their throats on a daily basis. i dont think they care enough to listen with their heads so high in the clouds
>>
>>1648220
Wonder why they used three 2-axle trucks instead of two 3-axle trucks
>>
>>1648537
They needed something to replace the fuel tank
>>
File: Emd_electrics.jpg (330 KB, 1024x708)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
>>1648537
It was an experimental locomotive.
There was another built as a C-C but oil prices dropped and neither of them were pursued.
Pretty sure that a B-B-B arrangement is more stable at high speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G0BRt6ZFYw
>>
>>1635310
It amazes me that the RR that had the best route between Seattle and the Twin Cities, which ran faster freights earlier on than the other roads, still went out of business.

I wish this road had survived. A direct line right into Seattle--who could ask for more? And yet the BN and UP let it all disappear....
>>
>>1649596
Executive meddling, brah
>>
>>1649596
>>1650064
It obviously wasn't the best route
>>
>>1650070
A well documented conspiracy of top-level BN and Milwaukee officials killed the electrified Pacific Extension. It did not die for lack of its own merits. Educate yourself.
>>
>>1650141
>It did not die for lack of its own merits.
If it was the best route it would be in operation today
>>
>>1650696
>if Manhattan was a good site for a city the Delawares would've built one there
>if grains made for an unhealthy diet we wouldn't eat them today
>if Einstein was so smart he would've solved aging rather than letting himself die
>if it was possible to have a Mars colony we'd have one today
>if the far side of the dam was lower than this side then why is all the water here?
What kind of logic is this? Sometimes the best outcome in the long run is lost in the short run because nobody has the resources to overcome some barrier, in this case purchasing that rail line and keeping it in operation until the Arab oil embargo hits and permanently spikes energy prices.
>>
Why doesn't he just order a bunch of shinkansens from Japan and then put them down in big areas. Seems like a no brainer
>>
>>1650713
>What kind of logic is this?
Idk didn't read all your straw men I'm just saying if that line was THE BEST then it would have been used after MILW went bankrupt

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.