[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 32 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

HOW DO I CYCLE UP THESE CUNTS
>>
>>1634963
you change gear.
this post is extremely low quality.
>>
Honestly I don’t know. I’m not particularly out of shape (I do a lot of trail running) and hills kick the shit out of me every time. After 300ft or so I am pretty much finished. I can do rolling hills but anything straight up I genuinely can not complete without frequent rests
>>
Practice. You not only build endurance and strength but you’ll learn more about strategy for climbing a hill and conserving energy
>>
>>1634967
If my 100kg, smoker ass can force itself up a hill, so can you
>>
>>1634963
Swiftly and with style
>>
File: feel the dip.png (74 KB, 971x493)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
>>1634981
>>
File: gravel-gearing-1.jpg (136 KB, 970x598)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>1634963
Have you tried pedalling? Especially on low gear?
>>
>>1634985
what sort of orangutan did the cable job on that FD
>>
don’t try to explode your way up, just find a gear you can spin in, and stay there till you can spin faster in higher gears. Listen to music to ignore the pain ur in.
>>
>>1635017
fuck this gay attitude, just slam down your hardest gear and mash it up out of the saddle al the way up that pussy ass hill you little girl
>>
>>1634963
zigzag
>>
>>1634967
don't stand and mash, that's probably why you're getting tired so fast. shift way the fuck down and spin like a lunatic and don't look at how far you've gone or how fast you're moving, just sit, spin, and smile
>>
>>1635030
himeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
just b urself
>>
take the recumbent pill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vpzmTN6SuI&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>1634963
post a pic of your drivetrain
very often it's worth modifying for lower gears, no matter how strong you are.

PRO riders race on lower gears in the hills than most noob roadies run.
>>
>>1635017
>>1635020
Something in between this pussy shit and retard shit. Putting some muscle into climbs is good if they aren't some >30' bullshit.
>>
File: 1616872783775.gif (872 KB, 404x402)
872 KB
872 KB GIF
Stop eating like an amerilard
>>
>>1634963
at a self-selected sustainable pace
>>
>>1634963
Get stronger.
>>
Spin to win. Don't feel shame. I put an old 5 speed mtb freewheel on my 80's road bike, lost the 6th speed but gained a 32t over the standard road 28t. My town has some fucked up hills and the 32t really helped let me spin while still maintaining a fair speed. Nothing is worse than grinding in a hard gear uphill and going less than 5mph.
>>
>>1634963
It looks steeper from afar
>>
>>1634963
Get as close to a 1:1 gear ratio as possible. If you're single speed, use google maps to find another route because you're fucked.
>>
ngl i push my bike up really steep hills, I know my limits and cycle for pleasure. They have to be very steep for me to do that though, I don't mind moderately steep hills.

There's this one hill on my commute, took me about 3 weeks before I made it to the top without getting off, now I piss it without even feeling it, but there's another one where I go trail riding that I know I'll never conquer, and that's fine, I make it about 1/3 of the way up and then push the rest, it's nice reaching the top and still having enough energy in the tank to enjoy the rocky descent down the other side.
>>
>>1635363
Anonymous has the answer -- it at first you don't succeed then try, try try again. You'll get there. Don't attack the thing, that's usually bad news. Start at a boogie pace that you reckon you can keep to the top.
>>
>>1635197
If anything this is proof for proper gearing at higher cadences. Everyone else seemed to be cruising compared to the recumbent guy.
>>
Back when I first started out I would go to our local "mountain" and get crushed by the gradient (on like a 1.5 mile ascent). This was on a road bike with compact cranks, probably like 52-36 or something. I would occasionally zig zag in the middle of the road to rest before starting to spin up again. That and learning to measure between spinning and getting out of the saddle, but as a means to recover, not pound uphill.

Now I have a road bike but threw on the shimano GRX crankset at 46-30 iirc. I top out in the highest gearing at like 28 mph which is fine for me because I haven't done a road group ride in years now and where I live has some very long climbs
>>
File: twitter briscoepark.jpg (389 KB, 2048x1364)
389 KB
389 KB JPG
>>1634963
You literally just have to change gear and not try to go at the same speed as on flat
>>
Spin your cranks fast, you fuckin pussy.
>>
>>1634963
I ride a single speed. I'm good for hills 8% to 12% grade.

There's a 1/2 mile long 12% grade I ride up. It's a workout but it's not too hard.

There's a 1 mile long 8% grade I ride up. I find it very challenging. I've never had to get off my bike but I'm spent by the top.

Anything longer+steeper than that and I'll just fast walk my bike up the hill. I've encountered some 20% grades. Absolutely bonkers steep. I don't care what gear you're in, walking the bike will be faster.

Use Google Earth to determine the start and end elevation of your hills, calculate the actual height, calculate the length of the hill, use this to calculate the grade. Keep track of which hills you find easy and which hills you find difficult.
>>
>>1634967
Probably need to build your leg muscles up, since running uses different muscles to cycling. Find a short route with a bunch of hills and try to power up them as hard as you can in the highest gear you can manage, the rest at the top if you need. Or you could try doing more off road routes since these can have steeper climbs than regular roads. If you have access to a gym then you could do some squats to build your legs and core also.
But hills are supposed to be the hard part of cycling, anyone can spin pedals on flat terrain.
>>
>>1635743
Also if you're a runner, you probably would be way better off spinning super super fast, like 100 rpm. If you aren't using clipless pedals get some, that'll help a lot with keeping a good pedal motion when spinning fast
>>
>>1635197
>people think this is steep
That tiny front wheel would be absolutely rekt around here. One pothole and he'd fishtail and roll like a wheelchair on the way down too.
>>
>>1635531
>Now I have a road bike but threw on the shimano GRX crankset at 46-30 iirc
That is based. I would do that. The annoying thing is though, if you live in mountains, those long swoopy descents can sometimes be really fun to spin a big boy gear down at like 80km/h
>>
File: 1413764431174.png (187 KB, 473x491)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
I just rev the throttle on the electric bike and let it do all the work
>>
>>1634963
Spin.

Nobody has said the real trick which is to focus on a point 50 yards ahead
>>
>live in a flattish area
>biggest hill is about 500 feet
>some chucklehead called it the col du galibier on strava.
>>
>>1635535
This is some weird liminal space shit.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.