[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 31 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dude wtf.jpg (3.16 MB, 4032x3024)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
Who here has two bikes for two specific purposes?

I'm one of those who was originally looking for a 'gravel bike' because I wanted a bike that would serve me well as a commuter and as a recreational bike, but the truth is I learned that if you want to do two different things you need two different tools, and so I got a road bike which I commuter'd up and a 90's mountain bike which I gravel'd up.

It was without a doubt the best cycling related decision I ever made, and the benefits go way beyond simply having two bikes that each fulfill their alloted roles perfectly.

>I can keep my commuter bike set up for winter longer
in the UK we have rain all fucking year so instead of removing fenders, switching tyres etc I just leave that bike winter ready most of the year, if we get a hot spell then I might slap the licks on and pull the fenders off, but I used to do that shit several times a year and it was a ball ache.

>Spare bike
if one bike dfevelopes an issue I always have the opther bike, it's not happened too often, once I had a puncture which I discovered as I was leaving the house for work so I just hopped on my mtb and fixed it when I got home, another time my mtb chain snapped, no worries,. I removed the fenders and other shit from my road bike, stuck the treaded tyres on and too that gravel riding and it was surprisingly decent, although it did make me appreciate and miss the 1990's mtb geometry of my samba.

So fuck trying to get one bike to do everything, just get a bike for every need. Pic related is just there for the keks.
>>
I have 7 bikes
>>
>>1634804
nice blog post faggot.
I have a reliable but shit 00s MTB that I use for "commuting" (Don't have a job but I use it for beer runs etc) as well as light off roading, if it snows or the roads are really wet. Basically it's the go to bike if I need to pick a bike and go without putting on specific shoes and all that.
my road bike is the fun/hobby bike but I don't rely on it, it's actually currently in bits awaiting some new parts. It's faster at the expense of absolutely everything else and if you use one for utility cycling you're a colossal idiot who deserves to have it stolen. more so if you wear lycra.
>I removed the fenders and other shit from my road bike, stuck the treaded tyres on
it would have been easier to swap the chains.
also
>not keeping a spare chain
>>
>>1634814
>it would have been easier to swap the chains.
Not sure about that, the mtb is 3x7 and the road bike is 2x11
>not keeping a spare chain
Sometimes we need to learn the hard way, I keep spare chains now, even have one in my desk drawer at work

Agree that lycra is for fags.
>>
>>1634804

I have a MTB and a Brompton. I never use the MTB because it's a pain to carry into the back of my car, pain to put the wheel & mudguard on, a pain to use the pressure washer.

Vs Brompton, chuck in the car and go.
>>
>>1634804
I have 3. The correct number of bikes to own is n+.
Got a road bike, a gravel bike and a touring bike
>>
>>1634808
7 is the minimum
MTB, dirt jump, road, touring, grocery getter, winter beater and an always broken spare commuter
>>
>>1634890
for me its:
Oria, 853, Tange Prestige concept, 531 ST, Columbus SL, 4130 and gaspipe
>>
>>1634804
Literally buying my second bike today (a 90s cannondale MTB) because i’m too lazy to keep switching the setup on my road bike for winter commuting.
>>
One for everyday use, incl winter commuting. One is a vintage randonneur for church commutes only on sundays.
>>
>>1634890
+2 you forgot bmx and cruise/lowrider
>>
I have 4 bikes
One is my bike for going into town that I don't mind locking up
One is a gravel bike / commuter with mudguards and rack
One is a really nice old steel road bike that was given to me by a relative because he doesn't ride it any more
The last is a fixed gear road bike that I built myself as my dream bike
I like riding all of them but if I had to have only one bike it would have to be the gravel / commuter because it goes everywhere and is just too versatile to give up
>>
>>1634804
Fatbike for winter commute and occasionally futsing around in the woods.
Gravel bike for spring, autumn and rainy days.
Fixie for sunny summer days.
>>
>>1634804
>removing fenders
why would you ever remove fenders for anything other than storage?
>>
>>1634957
why, to fit tyres wider than 23mm of course.
>>
my 6 bikes:
2x $50 steel beater bikes that I leave in the city for commute, groceries etc. One for the city I work in and one for the city I live in.
1x 29" alu hardtail MTB for the rare occasions I go on trails. Also the backup commuter
1x alu general purpose road bike for riding with friends and indoor workouts
1x fancy steel vintage road bike hanging on the wall. use it for slow nice weather rides, critical mass etc
1x carbon TT bike that I'm currently building mostly for Strava kicks
>>
>>1634893
For me it's:
American Standard Gaspipe, Imported Chinesium, Super Mongoose Oversized, Mongoose Oversized, Huffy Standard, and 531
>>
>>1634966
fit wider fenders then
cut to fit if they interfere with spacing
better than having to stay home after every small drizzle like a dork
>>
Any bike is a gravel bike if you're a competent rider, and I'm not just being a cunt. I've done more off-road over tree roots/dirt/stones/mud on my single speed with 700x25 than on my hard tail because I'm on the single speed more.

If you have the luxury just collect bikes for specific uses but you'll probably find you can do almost anything on a road bike/gravel bike. They're the same thing.

I have 4 bikes
Saracen mantra hard tail
Dolan pre cursa single speed (new every bike)
Fuji feather single speed (soon to be retired first bike)
Haro 300.1 2012 BMX (it's too small, I'm also clearly not able to ride it well so it's probably gonna go)

Mates are trying to convince me to get a gravel bike when they do but so far the Dolan does just fine.
>>
>>1635047
>I've done more off-road over tree roots/dirt/stones/mud on my single speed with 700x25
I've ended up on forest singletrack with 28 mm tyres. Doesn't mean I wouldn't rather do it on 40 mm. And I'd rather be on 120 mm instead of 40.
>>
>>1635047
>>1635059
32-38mm is a very good compromise range where you can have a bike that handles well both on and off road while still being able to use a center (or direct if you're a dentist) mount rim brake, with tire options that are appropriate for both or either.
>>
>>1635043
>What is frame clearance?
>>
>>1635047
>Any bike is a gravel bike if you're a competent rider
"oooh you're very brave riding this on that bike, aren't you! You need a mountain bike for this, that's a racer! haha" - actual unsolicited opinion from a pedestrian when I was riding on an easy hardpacked forestry road where the surface was that really nice "gravel" that's actually smoother and faster than tarmac.
>>
I have
>hardtail mountain bike
>long travel mountain bike
>old short travel mountain bike
>new short travel mountain bike
I’ve been considering going more towards the road though, it might be time to get a rigid mountain bike
>>
>>1635062
something you can cut fenders around
like, even if you have millimeter clearances on all sides you can match the fender with the crown of the fork and whatever there is in the back
having a frame and a fork with reasonable clearances works better tho, but i get it, fat frames and fat forks aren't fawnseh enough for sophisticated riders
>>
Two bikes max needed in inner city

One nice fast one for weekend rides and never locking up

One less nice slightly less fast one for commute/shops/everything else

Of course I would own n+1 if I had the space
>>
>>1635084
>something you can cut fenders around
I'd rather change my clothes and hose the bike down after riding in the rain than ride some ugly rattly hacksaw'd about thing with sharp plastic literally fractions of a millimetre from the tyre sidewalls.
but that's irrelevant anyway because if it's wet and I want to ride, I ride my shitty MTB >>1634814 which has fenders. have to keep the boomercruiser looking like the tour de fromage LARPmobile it is.
>>
>>1635047
WOW
SO HARDCORE
WOW THE RIDE THE LITTLE TIRES ON THE DIRT
FUCKIG AMAINZNG
THEYRE FUCKING SO FUCKING BAD ASS
FUCKING HELLLL YEAH HARDCUNT SHIT
FUCKING MURDEROUS
JOBST BRANDT MODE MOTHERUFCUJKER
FUCKING 25 MIL SKINNIES ON GRAVEL
FUCKING DO IT maN JUST DOI IT
THIS IS FUCKING HARDDDCORRRRE GRAVELLL SHIT BY REAL cYclIST ROADIE DUDES WHO ARE HARD AS FUCK
HARDEN THE FUCK up NRO
HTFU HTFU HTUF MY WIFE LEFT ME
WE RIDE FUCKING HARRRRRRRD
NO BIG DEAL PUSSY
FUCKING HIPSTER PUSSY GRAVEL BULLSHIT
BACK IN MY DAY WE RODE ON 23 MIL 30 TPI STEEL FRAME CLASSIC CURVE DROP BAR DOWNTUBE HARDCORE SHIT UP FUCKING BOULDERS
I USED TO PASS MOUNTAIN BIKERS on THE TRAILS EVERY DAMN WEEKEND
STRAIGHT COB IN THE BACK
48t GRANNY IN THE FRONT
DID NOT GIVE A FUCK WE LIKED IT LIKE THAT
WITH A ROAD BIKE YOU CAN GO ANYWHERE
>>
>>1635076
M A X X I S
>>
>>1634804
>1 road bike for fitness and gofast fun
>1 tracc bike for training and social motorpace days
>90s MTB w sliccs and rack for comfy errand running
>High end mid 80's bike that needs a little love but is super cool
>2 other misc bikes I'm building up but will donate (1 track, 1 road).
Feels good having a few options m8s
>>
>>1635336
>>1635336
Get a beater and spray it pink?
>>
>>1635327
Yeah but the frame itself isn’t a nonsense billboard
>>
>>1635144
your fault you're not a good enough craftsman to make it both functional and pretty
also dirty beat up racecars are peak aesthetic, means they are used hard and put away wet, the right way to treat a machine
but oh dear, on a bicycle dirt is whole 46 grams and can remove the strategically minimal 3 grams of easily washable lubricant on the open drivetrain, how preposterous, everything must be squeaky clean and pampered if you wanna be like them pros
>>
>>1635346
This guy doesn't shower regularly and is proud of it
>>
>>1635349
hygiene is important for health, health can't be replaced
>>
>>1635336
one of the reasons why I love my old 90's mtb meme bike so much, it's an absolute blinder beneath the scruffy scratched and scuffed frame with its fading stickers and tatty saddle, you'd need a trained eye to see what it was (1991 Yeti with XT/XTR componentry), I have come back to my bike at the train station several times to see severed locks and bikes missing wheels right by it, that's the beauty of niggers, they go for shiny and new or overthought hipster trash, real quality flies way over their miniscule thickly boned craniums.
>>
>>1634804
>11+ spacers
>stem looking at the stars
bruh
>>
>>1634804
>OP doesn't know about the n+1 formula
>>
File: IMG_20200825_184230.jpg (3.25 MB, 2976x3968)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB JPG
>>1634804
I've got 3 and one I'm building:
Folder for daily cargo
CX with 2 sets of wheels for fun/fast
Soon-to-be rigid 29er for winter riding
And building an 650b XC full sus to get back into riding trails.
>>
>>1634804
I vote this image to be the eternal /BQG/ as it in itself raises questions in every visitor
>>
>>1635346
Racecars are never put away dirty wtf kind of races you watching
>>
i have a bridgestone track bike for road cycling and generally for rides that start at home and end at home without leaving the bike locked around in public
a dirt jumper for fooling around, tricks and some light mtbiking
a 2000s shit alu mtb as a beater if i need to commute to a place and leave it locked around
and a bianchi mamachari if i need to do groceries and commute to places where i need to leave it locked around only for short periods of times
>>
>>1635312
african
>>
Four 4 years ago I had 16 bikes at one point. I'm down to 3 now, not counting a few that a friend out of state has in his shed.

1. commuting/touring/do anything bike
2. fast road bike
3. more casual road bike set up for rough gravel roads or really long rides

And realistically that's all I need based on where I live right now since there's not really any appealing mountain biking near me or a need for a winter weather bike.
>>
>>1634804
I bought a gravel bike because that fits perfectly with the type of riding I do.
I only ride for fun and exercise, with a good mix of on- and off-road.
A gravel bike is decent on the road (much better than the cross/hybrid I rode before) and I can still ride unpaved paths and even singletrail.
It's perfect for me and nobody can convince me otherwise.
>>
>>1635681
African.
Very African. Come and step in brothers temple see what's happenin'.
>>
>>1635882
If you ever want more speed on road, try getting a second set of wheels specifically for road and swapping back and forth. Way cheaper than getting a whole other bike, and you can get some really nice wheels with the money you saved
>>
I have 2, a race bike and a commuter road bike. Sometimes when i dont have much stuff to take with me i treat myself and ride the race bike to work. I dont feel like i need any more even though bike industry marketing tells me if i spend another 9k or something i could have a 1kg lighter bike and it would be so worth it.

Whenever i feel like that i just ride my steel commuter with alu mudguards and it makes the race bike feel super lightweight and fast by comparison and i fall in love with rising it again.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.