[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How big of a weight difference is actually noticeable in road bikes? I see hobbyists spending a bunch of money to save 500 g, which sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. That's less than a difference between having a good shit or not, surely there's no way you can notice that if you aren't a pro?
>>
If you're extremely unfit or weak you will notice even 100g difference. Real men give zero fucks about saving grams, they buy a good quality bike and set it up to suit their needs and ride the shit out of it. not saying heavy bikes are good, they ain't, but spending dollar to save grams is a sign of either extreme weakness or being afflicted with a hopeless consoomer drone mentality.

The exception of course is profesiionals, if your livelihood depends on thousandth of a second off a stage time then sure, let the sponsors throw cash at weight reduction.
>>
weight matter if you climb a lot, in other situations aero is way better of an upgrade
none of those things should matter to hobbyists anyway but in the end if it make you happy and riding your bike more i guess everything is ok
>>
them grams add up

frame 1600
fork and headset 650
quill and handle bar 580
seat post and seat 493

brake levers and calipers 590
derailleur set 460
shifters set 110

bottom bracket 320
crank set 700
chain 330
cassette 465

front wheel 1500
rear wheel 1500
>>
>>1634817
>front wheel 1500
>rear wheel 1500
WTF are you riding Fred Flintstones bike?
>>
>>1634820
yes, the wheels are brick shit house over built
>>
>>1634796
A few pounds is pretty easy to feel, the heavier one will seem sluggish comparatively, though whether that actually translates to going faster depends on the kind of riding you do. Never had two bikes that differed by a pound/500g, but I imagine it'd be noticeable at least if you were focused on it.
>>
>>1634817
>frame 1600
>fork and headset 650
>quill and handle bar 580
>seat post and seat 493

>brake levers and calipers 0, remove
>derailleur set 0, remove
>shifters set 0, remove

>bottom bracket 320
>crank set 700
>chain 330
>cassette 50, swap with track cog

>front wheel 750 swap with something that isnt a boat anchor
>rear wheel 900 swap with something that isnt a boat anchor

fix'd your bike, and i mean, literally.
>>
>>1634817
rider 125000
>>
File: Frame weight and use.jpg (124 KB, 1308x1020)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>1634841
neat, the local velodrome does not like people to have brakes anyway
>>1634842
115 lbs lmao, I should maybe get a 1997 Giant TCR or MCR
>tfw most of the light weight second hand bikes were owned by 400 lb gorilla
>>
>>1634806
Ok Fred
>>
500grams on the bike is clearly noticeable, toss away a bottle and see if you can feel a difference.
A couple of kilos on your body is not that noticable until you look at your climbing times. Feels the same but goes faster.
>>
>>1634796
Noticeable.
My current bike is a TCX. I upgraded the stock wheels to some Roval C8s and the speed increase is noticeable.
>>
>>1634871
>went from stock cyclocross wheels to performance road wheels
no shit
>>
When climbing and gaining elevation it's a significant difference.
>>
The negligible gain in weight going from a good carbon frame to a good aluminium frame is what makes me reluctant to go for carbon. I'd much rather save the money from the frame and spend it on much more important parts such as wheels, handlebars, saddle, etc., where you can feel the difference and much more readily save weight
>>
>>1634796
Bike weight on its own is meaningless. It only matters in conjunction with rider weight. With that in mind - at worst weight matters proportionally. That is - reduce total bike/rider weight by 1% and you get 1% faster.
>>
>>1634806
Even though I have set my bikes up to suit my needs with complete disregard for things like weight, I still think you're full of shit.
>>
>>1634796
500grams is quite alot
especially on something like wheels
especially if the bike is light already
you wont feel much ditching 500grams from a 23kilo bike, but it still makes a difference
shave 500grams off a 7 kilo bike and ooh boy
>>
>>1634809
best in thread
>>
i just got some digital scales and weighed a couple bikes
road bike = 10.01 kg (22lbs)
beater = 14.5 kg (32lbs)

neither bothers me as being too heavy.
>>
>>1635274
>none of this should matter to you
>you hear me, you have to be just like me if you want to live
>but do whatever you want lmao
Not the best really.
>>
>>1635277
Everything under 15kilos is featherweight.
>>
Pro tip -- at the start of a big climb take the water bottles from their caged and stuff them in your jersey pockets. You bike is instantly lighter and you'll dance all the way to the top.
>>
>>1635410
great advice, another trick I learned is not to sit on the saddle- completely shaves off the weight of your body! that's why you always see the pros doing a standing climb when they need that extra boost
>>
>>1635410

Or even better, drinkā€˜em up
>>
>>1634796
Really, not a ton for most people, but it does help if you handle your bike going up and down stairs, for example.
>>
Extra bike weight isn't the same as extra body weight. Extra body weight usually translates to extra muscles or simply a larger frame, plus you're used to carrying around your own body weight anyway. Extra bike weight is just dead weight. Touring all day on a 15 kg bike as opposed to a 12 kg bike is like hiking all day with a 15 kg backpack instead of a 12 kg backpack. You will notice the difference after a few hours, and the same goes even for shorter stints of road cycling if you're constantly operating at your physical limit.
>>
>>1634796
If you're over 60kg and you're crying about weight I just ignore them.
>>
>>1635492
you know, adult males sometimes have some muscle mass anon
>>
>>1634869
>Feels the same but goes faster.

On the topic of feels, lighter wheels make a huge difference in perceived weight, and quick handling is another factor. A twitchy steel bike just feels lighter even if it's not
>>
>>1635532
They also have lots of extra fat usually and if you care about weight on a bike you shouldn't be building a giant upper body since it barely helps you power with more power.
>>
>>1635650
>They also have lots of extra fat usually
and here we agree, thats need to go before trying to save some grams on a bike
>if you care about weight on a bike you shouldn't be building a giant upper body
if you race professionally i still agree but some people dont get paid for enjoying an hobby as amateurs and some people enjoy more than one hobby, maybe someone, like me, just enjoy both riding a a lightweight bike that help him up hills and satisfy his autism / practicing bodybuilding to be healthy, look good and again, satisfy his autism.
upper body muscles can be detrimental at some point, but they also help locking you in the right position to put down power on the pedals, if you are climbing you know for sure that your core give up before your legs, finding the right balance of too many/too few upper body muscles is a matter that only paid people need to bother with, for us amateurs, i think all the muscle you can build while staying natty wont be a detriment in the pro/cons equation
>>
File: 1616632788919.png (607 KB, 582x526)
607 KB
607 KB PNG
>>1635650
>>1635677
>>

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.