[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1342.png (355 KB, 600x360)
355 KB
355 KB PNG
Charlie Alliston's chariot edition
>>
File: nintchdbpict000346085206.jpg (604 KB, 2928x3085)
604 KB
604 KB JPG
>>1633807
Charlie did nothing wrong
>>
Charlie was cycling under 18 mph or 28 km/h. If he had a front brake he could have avoided killing Kim Briggs
>>
>>1633807
this isn't the worst example of this by a long way, but it reminds me, what's with having the saddle at some absurdly high "technically correct" height with the handlebars literally below the fork crown? how can you use any of your muscles efficiently in this position?
I see these LARPers/overpaid desk-jockeys all the time on expensive bikes with rubber band tyres, high saddles and slammed stems staring directly at their front wheel and practically knocking their teeth out on the bars, and wonder how can they possibly be having a good time? they don't really seem to be. They certainly aren't going fast either.
>>
>>1633844
the idea of proper leg extension is not complicated and it has nothing to do with where your bars are.
>>
>>1633828
this. pedestrians need to learn to pay attention
>>
>>1633844
Having your seat at the correct height makes cycling easier btw
>>
>>1633837
oh fuck off cunt the turbo KAREN had several seconds of warning while he shouted while she oblivious crossing the street while looking at her phone

charlie deserves the rope too for a riding a brakeless fixie at speed through city traffic

EVERYONE WAS AT FAULT HERE
>>
>>1633879
If he had a front brake he could have avoided killing Kim Briggs
>>
Convince me not to flip my rear wheel and go back to coasting.
>>
>>1635331
If your knees hurt or if riding fixed is too hard for you, then flip your wheel around.
>>
>>1635331
coasting is BASED fixed is cringe

>>1635354
> if you are a masochist then dont flip your wheel around
>>
>>1635331
If you ride fixed you don't need any brakes. If you have a freewheel you need brakes, which are for virgins
>>
>>1635485
you are a retard, you need brakes when you are in a fucking big city full of people and cars.
if you are just cruising in a shit town is fine going without brakes.
>>
>>1633828
onions
>>
>>1636246
Yeah you don't need brakes though do you? You can just use the chain
>>
There is no real reason to use fixed gear bike. You have to be faggot hipster to use one.
>>
>>1636323
In other news, the sky is blue.
>>
>Disc brake fixie
How possible is it lads?
>>
>>1636347
Get a fork that takes disc calipers, mount them and then just run a cable/hydro to a lever at the bar.
>>
>>1633837
Was she wearing a helmet?
But honestly, people need to stop looking at their phones and gain some situational awareness. Boomers (such as Karen Biggs) lack the reflexes to ignore the world around her.
>>
fixed gears are based
>>
>>1636285
chains can snap and a front brake make you both safe and faster, also it doesent fuck the look of the bike too much. riding without a front brake on a fixed gear is very much feasible but you will be slower and the amount of attention you have to pay to be reasonably safe will take a lot of fun out of the ride
>>
>>1636323
I just like how fixed gear feels compared to other types of bikes, it’s better to me because I have more fun riding it.
>>
>>1636347
Very possible, bike polo players do it all the time.
>>
>>1636323
t. never rode a fixed gear
>>
>>1636416
t. never rode a fixed gear
>>
File: 2sqbb2j13qh41.jpg (1.44 MB, 3264x2448)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>1636347
It is a thing.
>>
>>1636347
If you're planning on disc at the rear too then you need sliding dropouts on your frame and the right hub. I think Surly make a hub that has threading for a fixed sprocket on one side and mounts for a disc rotor on the other. I often think about doing it but you're really limited to a few frames, none of which really appeal to me
>>
>>1636347
>>1636432
Sorry I forgot to say you could have a sliding disc caliper if you have standard track ends instead
>>
>>1636431
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j1llKmlEMA
>>
>>1636431
>TrAcKlOcRoSs
can we bomb san francisco already?
>>
>>1633889
it's still insufferable to have to stop and start excessively in the city just because people are oblivious and act like spastics in the middle of the road
>>
>>1636540
>t. has never heard of a traffic light
I thought the entire joy and thrill of riding brakeless was having total control and always being able to maneuver out of a situation in the wild and constantly changing city. Sounds like Charlie wasn't ready for that great power or great responsibility
>>
>>1636540
If starting and stopping is so difficult, maybe cycling isn’t for you faggot.
>>
>>1636540
>>1636827
kek.
Starts in a high gear is what makes you powerful on a bike, gotta do some if you don't want chicken legs.
>>
I mean...learn to track stand sitting down, with either foot forward. It is cringe and looks very tryhard as fuck when somebody trackstands standing up rocking back and forth as if they are performing a circus trick. I don’t give a shit about traffic lights because it gives me an opportunity to flex on the other corona cyclists with my sick trackstand skillz, sometimes I do a cheeky skid if I’m feeling sassy.
>>
File: Wheel o death perhaps.png (222 KB, 1051x1296)
222 KB
222 KB PNG
Bois,
will this wheel kill me?
36 spoke front and rear btw, may tie and solder if feeling cheeky.
>>
File: TheOstrich.jpg (113 KB, 650x613)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>1636882
I dunno man, being able to trackstand at all is pretty gud; seated or no.
>>
>>1636882
it's easier to trackstand standing up, how is that "tryhard"?
>>
>>1636827
t. casual slowfag. riding at 40 km/h+ it takes away from the fun to come to a complete stop within a couple of hundred meters.
>>
>>1636898
people still get mad from this badly shopped pic?
the cannondale track is an overhyped meme frame anyways, lmao at people who pay hard cash for an aluminium frame from the 90's
>>
>>1637020
>people still get mad from this badly shopped pic
You are literally the only person to even reply to the picture, so the answer is only you get mad
>>
>>1637020
i don't have a boner for it but i can see the appeal. it's from a top bike brand and it has a clean paintjob. name brand aluminium track bikes are usually pricey and rare and get discontinued like trek t1, cervelo t1, caad10 track, allez sprint track. some are still available like felt tk3, bmc tr02, look al 464, cinelli vigorelli shark, dolan pre cursa but might not suit everyone's budget or taste in terms of aesthetics, geometry, tire clearance, brake mounts and so on. i got a ribble eliminator al frameset which works for me but only the large size frame is currently available, i don't know what their future plans are if they'll restock it or if they'll make a different track bike. the smaller brands like leader, aventon, state, unknown etc have had quality issues and are not taken seriously by a lot of fixed gear enthusiasts. i myself had a bad experience with a small brand and ended up returning the bike.
>>
how to spot a fake aerospoke rim? its my first time seeing one on a japanese surplus with the whole bike for $140
>>
>>1637277
i was just asking anon.. why /n/ is full of sperg like you?
>>1637293
i know what it is and why is so sought after and all, i was just saying that while i can understand paying a ton of cash for a rare vintage steel frame, i cant bring myself to understand people who pay crazy amounts for a frame that old made from a material which is due to fail in few decades, its beautiful and all but at the same price and sometimes less you can have a vintage italian/japanese steel track frame which will last and imho have way more "brand" and history behind if you are after "special"and elusive things
>>
>>1637338
The more important question is why do you want an arrospoke rim? They're not aero, and they're really heavy. Spend the same money on a good normal wheel that weighs less and has the same aerodynamic performance
>>
>>1637358
i dont specifically want the rim, is just thought that maybe 140 for a carbon fiber rim is a steal?
>>
>>1637362
aerojokes arent carbon
>>
>>1637365
oh ok sorry for the trouble anon i guess ill just build my own.
t. newfag
>>
>>1637365
...yes they are
>>
>>1637362
Carbon doesn't make it automatically good. They're so heavy and unaerodynamic you may as well get some of the heavy cheap colourful deep section wheels you see on all the entry level single speeds.
Also, aerospokes are cringe fixie messenger fag shit
>>
>>1637385
no they arent, they are literally a velocity fusion rim drenched in plastic and you are an idiot
>>
just got a fixed gear built this last weekend
most fun i've had on a bike in ages
love just going out for a ride, enjoying it
glad that i built one
>>
>>1636910
Normies don’t know this. Sitting down trackstanding looks more nonchalant and chilled.
>>
>>1637651
your next step is to sell your geared bike and use your fixed gear exclusively
>>
>>1637668
What do I care what normies think of how I look.
>>
Are these good for fitness?
>>
>>1638120
As good as any other bike really. You'll have to work relatively harder on hills but you may find that you spin out on flats so it's give and take
>>
>>1633844
>Fixfags cannot into correct fit nor mechanics in general
lol
>>
>>1633844
they are not having a good time because thats the track sprinting setup, you are not supposed to have a good time on track drops for those 30 seconds you are supposed to die inside.
on the street its only a larp and they ride on the tiny "tops" around the stem.
>>
>>1636910
where i live there's like a 60 year old lady who rides a mountain bike out of the saddle with a low cadence. not sure if she rides faster or seated, i haven't seen her that much. she does have some steez and she's arguably doing better than the ultra casuals who ride shitty dutch bikes but the way she rides out of the saddle looks rather conspicuous indeed.
>>
File: 20210416_144952.jpg (3.07 MB, 3024x3024)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
yea?
>>
>>1639074
nice, please take care of that frame
>>
>>1639074
>front rack tilted forward
yikes
>>
>>1639096
with the brake installed it's always gonna be a little tilted (yeah it's missing the brake lever, I lost it somehow)

it's not noticeable irl though
>>
>>1639074
I remember you from the last thread. Looks fucking great
>>
>>1639101
just take the brake off then. It's a fixed gear bike (and really neat one), not a fucking roadie abomination
>>
>>1639127
the fork looks like its not the stock one, so he does not have drilled it, and he is currently using the bike for touring from what it seems.
>>
>>1639127
lmao calm down

I ride brakeless normally but do you not see the bike is loaded up for touring? I'd rather have brakes on a heavy ass bike I'm touring hundreds of miles on. I might even install a rear brake too.
>>
File: IMG_3885 (Custom).jpg (1.08 MB, 4000x2667)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>1639074
pretty sick setup

zip tie a big metal basket on that rack you will make your life so much easier just being able to casually put extra stuff in there and not have to strap down anything
>>
>>1639074
Very nice
>>
How do you guys feel about bullmoose bars? Just ordered a set to fuck around with, they look like a lot of fun.
>>
>>1639169
Nice hobo utility bike. I wish I had something like this.
>>
>>1639786
bullmoose bars are just flat bars that look cool at the cost of limiting your adjustment options
>>
>>1639865
that frame costs $1400
>>
>>1639786
Never heard of it.
>Googling
Oh, those things. Ugly.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.