[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 103 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1342.png (355 KB, 600x360)
355 KB
355 KB PNG
Charlie Alliston's chariot edition
>>
File: nintchdbpict000346085206.jpg (604 KB, 2928x3085)
604 KB
604 KB JPG
>>1633807
Charlie did nothing wrong
>>
Charlie was cycling under 18 mph or 28 km/h. If he had a front brake he could have avoided killing Kim Briggs
>>
>>1633807
this isn't the worst example of this by a long way, but it reminds me, what's with having the saddle at some absurdly high "technically correct" height with the handlebars literally below the fork crown? how can you use any of your muscles efficiently in this position?
I see these LARPers/overpaid desk-jockeys all the time on expensive bikes with rubber band tyres, high saddles and slammed stems staring directly at their front wheel and practically knocking their teeth out on the bars, and wonder how can they possibly be having a good time? they don't really seem to be. They certainly aren't going fast either.
>>
>>1633844
the idea of proper leg extension is not complicated and it has nothing to do with where your bars are.
>>
>>1633828
this. pedestrians need to learn to pay attention
>>
>>1633844
Having your seat at the correct height makes cycling easier btw
>>
>>1633837
oh fuck off cunt the turbo KAREN had several seconds of warning while he shouted while she oblivious crossing the street while looking at her phone

charlie deserves the rope too for a riding a brakeless fixie at speed through city traffic

EVERYONE WAS AT FAULT HERE
>>
>>1633879
If he had a front brake he could have avoided killing Kim Briggs
>>
Convince me not to flip my rear wheel and go back to coasting.
>>
>>1635331
If your knees hurt or if riding fixed is too hard for you, then flip your wheel around.
>>
>>1635331
coasting is BASED fixed is cringe

>>1635354
> if you are a masochist then dont flip your wheel around
>>
>>1635331
If you ride fixed you don't need any brakes. If you have a freewheel you need brakes, which are for virgins
>>
>>1635485
you are a retard, you need brakes when you are in a fucking big city full of people and cars.
if you are just cruising in a shit town is fine going without brakes.
>>
>>1633828
onions
>>
>>1636246
Yeah you don't need brakes though do you? You can just use the chain
>>
There is no real reason to use fixed gear bike. You have to be faggot hipster to use one.
>>
>>1636323
In other news, the sky is blue.
>>
>Disc brake fixie
How possible is it lads?
>>
>>1636347
Get a fork that takes disc calipers, mount them and then just run a cable/hydro to a lever at the bar.
>>
>>1633837
Was she wearing a helmet?
But honestly, people need to stop looking at their phones and gain some situational awareness. Boomers (such as Karen Biggs) lack the reflexes to ignore the world around her.
>>
fixed gears are based
>>
>>1636285
chains can snap and a front brake make you both safe and faster, also it doesent fuck the look of the bike too much. riding without a front brake on a fixed gear is very much feasible but you will be slower and the amount of attention you have to pay to be reasonably safe will take a lot of fun out of the ride
>>
>>1636323
I just like how fixed gear feels compared to other types of bikes, it’s better to me because I have more fun riding it.
>>
>>1636347
Very possible, bike polo players do it all the time.
>>
>>1636323
t. never rode a fixed gear
>>
>>1636416
t. never rode a fixed gear
>>
File: 2sqbb2j13qh41.jpg (1.44 MB, 3264x2448)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>1636347
It is a thing.
>>
>>1636347
If you're planning on disc at the rear too then you need sliding dropouts on your frame and the right hub. I think Surly make a hub that has threading for a fixed sprocket on one side and mounts for a disc rotor on the other. I often think about doing it but you're really limited to a few frames, none of which really appeal to me
>>
>>1636347
>>1636432
Sorry I forgot to say you could have a sliding disc caliper if you have standard track ends instead
>>
>>1636431
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j1llKmlEMA
>>
>>1636431
>TrAcKlOcRoSs
can we bomb san francisco already?
>>
>>1633889
it's still insufferable to have to stop and start excessively in the city just because people are oblivious and act like spastics in the middle of the road
>>
>>1636540
>t. has never heard of a traffic light
I thought the entire joy and thrill of riding brakeless was having total control and always being able to maneuver out of a situation in the wild and constantly changing city. Sounds like Charlie wasn't ready for that great power or great responsibility
>>
>>1636540
If starting and stopping is so difficult, maybe cycling isn’t for you faggot.
>>
>>1636540
>>1636827
kek.
Starts in a high gear is what makes you powerful on a bike, gotta do some if you don't want chicken legs.
>>
I mean...learn to track stand sitting down, with either foot forward. It is cringe and looks very tryhard as fuck when somebody trackstands standing up rocking back and forth as if they are performing a circus trick. I don’t give a shit about traffic lights because it gives me an opportunity to flex on the other corona cyclists with my sick trackstand skillz, sometimes I do a cheeky skid if I’m feeling sassy.
>>
File: Wheel o death perhaps.png (222 KB, 1051x1296)
222 KB
222 KB PNG
Bois,
will this wheel kill me?
36 spoke front and rear btw, may tie and solder if feeling cheeky.
>>
File: TheOstrich.jpg (113 KB, 650x613)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>1636882
I dunno man, being able to trackstand at all is pretty gud; seated or no.
>>
>>1636882
it's easier to trackstand standing up, how is that "tryhard"?
>>
>>1636827
t. casual slowfag. riding at 40 km/h+ it takes away from the fun to come to a complete stop within a couple of hundred meters.
>>
>>1636898
people still get mad from this badly shopped pic?
the cannondale track is an overhyped meme frame anyways, lmao at people who pay hard cash for an aluminium frame from the 90's
>>
>>1637020
>people still get mad from this badly shopped pic
You are literally the only person to even reply to the picture, so the answer is only you get mad
>>
>>1637020
i don't have a boner for it but i can see the appeal. it's from a top bike brand and it has a clean paintjob. name brand aluminium track bikes are usually pricey and rare and get discontinued like trek t1, cervelo t1, caad10 track, allez sprint track. some are still available like felt tk3, bmc tr02, look al 464, cinelli vigorelli shark, dolan pre cursa but might not suit everyone's budget or taste in terms of aesthetics, geometry, tire clearance, brake mounts and so on. i got a ribble eliminator al frameset which works for me but only the large size frame is currently available, i don't know what their future plans are if they'll restock it or if they'll make a different track bike. the smaller brands like leader, aventon, state, unknown etc have had quality issues and are not taken seriously by a lot of fixed gear enthusiasts. i myself had a bad experience with a small brand and ended up returning the bike.
>>
how to spot a fake aerospoke rim? its my first time seeing one on a japanese surplus with the whole bike for $140
>>
>>1637277
i was just asking anon.. why /n/ is full of sperg like you?
>>1637293
i know what it is and why is so sought after and all, i was just saying that while i can understand paying a ton of cash for a rare vintage steel frame, i cant bring myself to understand people who pay crazy amounts for a frame that old made from a material which is due to fail in few decades, its beautiful and all but at the same price and sometimes less you can have a vintage italian/japanese steel track frame which will last and imho have way more "brand" and history behind if you are after "special"and elusive things
>>
>>1637338
The more important question is why do you want an arrospoke rim? They're not aero, and they're really heavy. Spend the same money on a good normal wheel that weighs less and has the same aerodynamic performance
>>
>>1637358
i dont specifically want the rim, is just thought that maybe 140 for a carbon fiber rim is a steal?
>>
>>1637362
aerojokes arent carbon
>>
>>1637365
oh ok sorry for the trouble anon i guess ill just build my own.
t. newfag
>>
>>1637365
...yes they are
>>
>>1637362
Carbon doesn't make it automatically good. They're so heavy and unaerodynamic you may as well get some of the heavy cheap colourful deep section wheels you see on all the entry level single speeds.
Also, aerospokes are cringe fixie messenger fag shit
>>
>>1637385
no they arent, they are literally a velocity fusion rim drenched in plastic and you are an idiot
>>
just got a fixed gear built this last weekend
most fun i've had on a bike in ages
love just going out for a ride, enjoying it
glad that i built one
>>
>>1636910
Normies don’t know this. Sitting down trackstanding looks more nonchalant and chilled.
>>
>>1637651
your next step is to sell your geared bike and use your fixed gear exclusively
>>
>>1637668
What do I care what normies think of how I look.
>>
Are these good for fitness?
>>
>>1638120
As good as any other bike really. You'll have to work relatively harder on hills but you may find that you spin out on flats so it's give and take
>>
>>1633844
>Fixfags cannot into correct fit nor mechanics in general
lol
>>
>>1633844
they are not having a good time because thats the track sprinting setup, you are not supposed to have a good time on track drops for those 30 seconds you are supposed to die inside.
on the street its only a larp and they ride on the tiny "tops" around the stem.
>>
>>1636910
where i live there's like a 60 year old lady who rides a mountain bike out of the saddle with a low cadence. not sure if she rides faster or seated, i haven't seen her that much. she does have some steez and she's arguably doing better than the ultra casuals who ride shitty dutch bikes but the way she rides out of the saddle looks rather conspicuous indeed.
>>
File: 20210416_144952.jpg (3.07 MB, 3024x3024)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
yea?
>>
>>1639074
nice, please take care of that frame
>>
>>1639074
>front rack tilted forward
yikes
>>
>>1639096
with the brake installed it's always gonna be a little tilted (yeah it's missing the brake lever, I lost it somehow)

it's not noticeable irl though
>>
>>1639074
I remember you from the last thread. Looks fucking great
>>
>>1639101
just take the brake off then. It's a fixed gear bike (and really neat one), not a fucking roadie abomination
>>
>>1639127
the fork looks like its not the stock one, so he does not have drilled it, and he is currently using the bike for touring from what it seems.
>>
>>1639127
lmao calm down

I ride brakeless normally but do you not see the bike is loaded up for touring? I'd rather have brakes on a heavy ass bike I'm touring hundreds of miles on. I might even install a rear brake too.
>>
File: IMG_3885 (Custom).jpg (1.08 MB, 4000x2667)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>1639074
pretty sick setup

zip tie a big metal basket on that rack you will make your life so much easier just being able to casually put extra stuff in there and not have to strap down anything
>>
>>1639074
Very nice
>>
How do you guys feel about bullmoose bars? Just ordered a set to fuck around with, they look like a lot of fun.
>>
>>1639169
Nice hobo utility bike. I wish I had something like this.
>>
>>1639786
bullmoose bars are just flat bars that look cool at the cost of limiting your adjustment options
>>
>>1639865
that frame costs $1400
>>
>>1639786
Never heard of it.
>Googling
Oh, those things. Ugly.
>>
>>1639074
straps??
>>
>>1641960
if you're asking what brand they are, they're restrap. If you're asking why not clipless it's because there's a lot of walking involved
>>
>>1639074
you should rotate those framebags (yes I know the little one is a saddlebag) around, both in position and orientation, for maximum A E R O
nice setup btw
>>
>>1642136
the frame bag is vaguely bullet shaped, it's fine the way it is
>>
>>1636540
>it's still insufferable to have to stop and start excessively in the city just because people are oblivious and act like spastics in the middle of the road

It's not. Keep it always at a heavy gear and that's a good exercise. You sound like a leglet faget

>>1636827
this

>>1636870
exactly

Also, that British dude looks like a Jared Leto's Joker. Too bad he only got 2 years in the can. Cycling is for real people and he clearly was not ready for it.
>>
>>1633828
There should be a law where you can only get one piercing.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (36 KB, 500x331)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Bought a single speed a while ago for the simplicity and because it was cheap, but I'm starting to feel limited by what routes I'm capable of taking especially when it comes to hills. I'm considering getting one of those 2 speed kick shift rear hubs with the integrated coaster brakes. Has anyone tried one of those before?

pic related
>>
>>1644273
The fuck do you care?
>>
>>1644438
Get a double crank and make a dingle speed
>>
>>1644438
those two gears will be too close together, not meant for climbing. just get a bike with gears.
>>
>>1644455
The 2 speed hub in question has a 138% drive ratio, which is plenty for me. I'm more worried about the coaster brake business because the only ones I can find come with them, when desu I'd prefer not to have a coaster brake
>>
>>1644461
yeah I'm not a fan either, they're pretty awkward
>>
>>1644438
I tried it once and was really not impressed. I found that it made you spin like crazy to get going and then kicked in at a really awkward time, and doesn't 'deactivate' even if you start going slower / with a lower cadence / coasting, only doing so after coming to a complete standstill, so kind of useless for hills. I'd say just change to a lower gear ratio. You don't need to make too big of a change for it to help, only maybe 10 % of your current ratio. You'll lose a little bit at the top end if you found yourself to spin out before, but that's a fine trade-off for the lower bottom end
>>
bump
>>
>>1644461
>>1644466
But coaster brakes are the most fun brakes out of all the brakes, you-you uncultured swine!
>>
H+Son TB14
yay or nay?
>>
>>1648399
what are the point of these rims when the archetypes exist? The archetypes have the same rim width, but are a little deeper, lighter and look cooler.
>>
>>1648401
It's available with a higher number of spoke hole drillings, so can be good for people who are very heavy, ride really rough conditions, or are planning on going touring loaded up. Also, some people prefer the look of box section rims
>>
>>1648401
what are the point of archetypes rims when the entire kinlin catalogue exist? lots of kinlin rims have the same rim width, but are a little deeper or shallower, around the same weight and dont have the tryhard hipster look
>>
>>1648399
look into
>dt swiss RR 511 / RR 411
>kinlin XR31T
>hed belgium plus
prices might be a bit much in the US though
see borg31, hunt aero race wide, dt swiss T 1800 classic for inspiration with regards to spoke choice etc
you don't need a super high spoke count if you use a modern high end rim, you can use thicker spokes like dt aero comp, dt competition, dt alpine iii
dt alpine iii is ebike/touring/tandem tier and doesn't add that many grams over dt competition 2.0/1.8mm
this weight limit is for the borg31 road wheels, track wheels might be even less sensitive to rider weight:
>Combined with the offset drilled rear rim, the weight limit for these wheels is ~100kg (this is not strict however and is likely to be conservative).
keep in mind if you go with h+son, the anodized surface will wear down if you use brakes. they used to have a hard anodized grey finish that's more durable but the factory shut down and now they only have a weaker grey finish.
>I don’t like the black version of this rim because it’s anodized brake track does not hold up well to wear and it begins to look poor rather quickly.
>>
>>1648443
btw the RR 511 / RR 411 decals come off really easily with a blow dryer so don't worry about the aesthetics
>>
>>1639074
what's in the bags? how do you brake? i see the front brake. is it on the left handlebar and out of view?
noob btw
>>
>>1648443
you listed very nice archetypes substitutes, i've personally jumped on polished kinlin xc279 in 20/24h after giving up on the archememes, i personally disliketb14s, mainly because i dont like high spoke counts that are forced on you on box sections in general, but everyone has its tastes and if he wants box sections there is not much better around at that width, its not a bad choice
>>
>>1644438
difficult to shift cleanly

the 3 speed internal gear hubs work really nicely in my experience
>>
>>1648470
fixed gear, you brake with your feet

calliper is attached but not connected to anything yet (lost the lever)

>saddle bag
clothes, rainproof part of the tent

>frame bag
tent + misc

>mini frame bag
mini tool, tyre levers, patch kit

>attached to handlebars
air matress

>front rack
dry bag with sleeping bag

there was also a small 10L backpack with food and cooking utensils but I managed to put it on the front rack as well
>>
>>1633828
front brakes are a legal requirement
>>
>>1651238
i bet you are the funniest person at every party
>>
>>1651238
ur mum is a legal requirement
>>
>>1639169
What are the dimensions of your basket? All I seem to find is either too tiny or too massive
>>
Is a 4130 from state bicycle a reasonable foray into fixed gear?
>>
>>1655001
don't expect miracles at that price point, i'd trust them a bit more than bikesdirect but i still consider them to be a low tier brand. state's road bikes have gotten praise on reddit and from an anon here lately but the average person is blind to things like frame misalignment and other quality issues. watch zach gallardo's videos on it. but for example with the price of fuji feather having been raised from $600 to $720, that might be a little steep just for the peace of mind of buying from a more serious brand. but if you're going to keep the bike for a long time and replace chains and tires, try different saddles and handlebars etc, the initial price paid for the bike won't matter as much in the long tun.
>>
File: river.jpg (3.9 MB, 4032x3024)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB JPG
black bike gang represent
>>
>>1657608
atleast you replaced the meme stock fork, looks good anon, still overpriced meme frame tho
>>
>>1657613
>overpriced meme
that's a very roundabout way to say Cinelli.

yeah, the stock fork was hideous, but the frame is pretty decent - I certainly like it more than the tutto. Works fine as a daily commute bike/beater.

I like the new fork, but KY have hiked their prices something fierce (I bought mine back when their framesets were 800 yuro, now they are 1300+).

Now I kinda wish I didn't have the brake track, but this being my first fixed gear, i used to have a front brake.
>>
>>1657624
its a kory fork? are you italian?
>>
>>1657674
no, I'm Polish. Yes, it's a Kory York R28 fork.
>>
I put a fixed cog on my single speed and switched to clipless pedals and I can’t physically ride it. Like I’m fucking terrified of it. I had a really bad bike wreck when I was a kid and it’s been hell as I’ve progressed through cycling over the last couple years

How do I stop being such a bitch
>>
>>1657675
i live really close to the kory shop and i've discovered them online no longer than a month ago, at some point i need to pay a visit, those fork looks very well made and i have no intention of drilling my stock fork
>>1657676
i hope your hub is threaded for a lockring, i would be scared as fuck too riding a suicide hub. if thats not the case just ride it carefully, slow and let it grow on you
>>
>>1657679
Nah it is. I had an ENO freewheel before. I guess I need to just find a big field and ride around in the grass or something
>>
>>1657679
>i have no intention of drilling my stock fork

you have to specifically ask them for an undrilled one, though.
>>
>>1648401
TB14's box shape is stronger and double eyelets for the spoke holes. The weight difference between the two are negligible, almost the same, really the difference is durability with the TB14s and aerodynamics + style with Archetypes. I picked up Archtypes myself but in retrospect I think I should've picked TB14s because double eyelets
>>
>>1657683
yup i know, i want a drilled one because i wont drill my bridgestone one and i need a front brake in the summer, too many stupid people walking around and riding mopeds on cycling paths, i got away with keirin clap on brakes until now but its ugly and not optimal
>>
>>1657697
archetypes can be had in 20/24, tb14s not, archetypes looks good on almost everything, tb14s only on classic steel builds
>>
>>1639074
my seat tube just buckled, frame's gone. Fuck.
It served me well while it lasted...goodbye sweet prince
>>
File: pour-one-out.jpg (120 KB, 620x350)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>1658331
f
>>
>>1639169
Nigga, what is in that water bottle? I like the bike
>>
>>1658331
Steel is real
>>
Anyone have suggestions for a good complete fixie or single speed? Mostly planning on using it to ride around the city and on concrete trails. My budget is ~600usd
>>
>>1658448
lemon lipton iced tea and ice
>>
>>1658331
F
o7
>>
straps or clipless?
>>
>>1658451
fuji feather
>>
genuine question from a mountain biker, what are the actual benefits of a fixed gear bike? is it fun or just utilitarian?
what kind of person actually wants one? what is marketing bollocks and what is the actual use case?
>>
>>1658461
toe clips and double straps
>>1658331
fuck anon, that was a beautiful frame, and a pretty rare one too, was it too many weight strapped to the seatpost? that sucks F
>>
>>1658467
Not a fixie rider but, but you can do some fun stuff with it like skids or just standing on a bike, or riding backwards. There isn't much that can break and its cheap to fix. The actual use case would be: you are a riding your bike around a flat city every day for hours regardless of the weather or season and are poor, or just hate any technological advancement made in bike over the last 100 years. So you buy an old steel road frame and build it into a fixie for cheap.
>>
>>1658467
there is no marketing bollocks, since the tech is 120 years old, i mean, yeah there is a lot of masturbations behind cog/chainring roundness, cranksets stiffness and frame materials that while are measurable realities are not worth the costs for the average street rider if not for the bling associated with those
is it a lot of fun for the right person, an absolute hassle for others, utilitarian? kind of, but a freewheel and 2 caliper brakes dont make a bike that more complicate to maintain
i would say that i ride a track bike because its fun, and for the look of it, "street cred" is shallow but real, being it for fixed gear, roadies or mtbers alike, but hey if you like it more you ride it more, atleast its true for me
>>
>>1658467
it's as simple, as a bike can get. Riding fixed is a lot of fun (and I get a smug feeling of superiority when passing other riders that use gears and/or brakes).

Being easy to maintain is one thing, having super-clean lines that surpass highest-end road bikes with internal cable routing is another.
I use a fixed gear for commuting, and it's great.
>>
>>1658468
>was it too many weight strapped to the seatpost
no, nothing like that, the seatpost binder was already kind of fucked when I bought the frame but it held the seatpost fine if tightened hard. Yesterday I noticed a tiny bit of buckling just below the binder (from being overtightened) and decided to undo the bolt and allow the steel to "heal back" into shape to avoid greater problems. Problem is the last time I undid the bolt I swore it would be the last because I knew it wouldn't hold the seatpost any more if I did it again. And that's what happened, now the seat tube opening has slightly ovalized by ~0.2mm which is enough for the seatpost to have some play.

I've heard of this exact failure on a few Columbus SL frames so I knew it could happen any time given how fucked that seatpost binder was.

I really love the frame too, I'll keep it and try to get it fixed asap, hopefully I can get a framebuilder who can fix it using the same lug on the joint
>>
>>1658467
Since your into mtbing, it's like opting for an ht over an fs. The extra agility and response makes for a funner ride despite being less capable overall but all that is what makes it fun on the street. A lot of modern fixies use track geometry too, adding even more agility and response.
>>
>>1658502
>but hey if you like it more you ride it more, atleast its true for me
good post
>>
>>1633828
>“You have throughout sought to put your blame on her,” the judge said. “Perhaps one of the most shocking things about this case is that you could not and apparently cannot still see any fault in your cycling or judgment.“You chose to ride at a speed and on a bike which you could not stop, your attitude being that everyone else would just have to get out of your way,” Joseph added. “Of course you did not set out to cause the harm you did – but the jury have found that you were aware of the risks and went on to take them.”

holy shit my sides this is too good to be true
>>
>>1633828
If you're someone with facial hair that gross and shitty, at least pluck if off of your mole.
>>
>>1636383
>but you will be slower
not if you're not a pussy
>will take a lot of fun out of the ride
no it doesn't. you feel more connected to your surroundings because you're paying more attention. you know the ebb and flow of traffic, the behavior of pedestrians.
>>
>>1658716
>not if you're not a pussy
unless you have wide open roads with plenty of visibility like in LA it's physically impossible to ride at full speed all the time. brakes are a very important aspect of performance.
>no it doesn't. you feel more connected to your surroundings because you're paying more attention. you know the ebb and flow of traffic, the behavior of pedestrians.
listen to yourself. this is just cope. you can be just as aware of your surroundings and push the limits even further when your stopping distance is reduced. like if you ride a motorcycle you still need to be 110% focused even with brakes and all the safety gear.
>>
>>1658798
You sound like a pussy.
>>
>>1658857
stop coping faggot, tarcking is fun but roadies are faster, its just reality, just enjoy what you like its not a race
>>
>>1658461
If you're doing urban riding / commuting only and have brakes, don't bother with anything. Just get some good quality mountain bike flat pedals.
If you're going for big rides out of the city, clipless.
If you're a tryhard faggot who doesn't realise that the reason for clipless is not to be attached to the pedal but to have greater power transfer, go for straps you fucking minge.
>>
>>1659085
>the reason for clipless is not to be attached to the pedal but to have greater power transfer
How is it that you think that greater power transfer is achieved if not for being attached to the pedals, galaxy brain?
>>
>>1659085
How about toe clips?
>>
>>1659085
>Straps are for tryhard faggots
I just like not needing to wear special shoes to ride my bike, man.
>>
>>1658467
It feels completely different from any other type of bike. I like being able to control my speed entirely with my pedals. Without sounding too pretentious, it really makes me feel "one with the bike".
I don't ride fixed cause it's the most efficient or fastest or anything, I just think they feel and look cool.
>>
>>1659089
that's the real shit anon, mks gr9 with the standard mks steel toe clips and single straps is a quality setup under 100$
>>
File: shitmano.jpg (48 KB, 921x469)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>1659109
>not needing to wear special shoes
I thought this for a while, Just Ride and all that. then I thought... I'm putting on shoes anyway, may as well be cycling shoes.
I use double sided pedals (pic related) so I can wear "normal" shoes if I'm just going out to buy beer or for a comfy cruise. fuck straps, shoe destroying little death trap cunts.
>>
>>1659287
>fuck straps, shoe destroying little death trap cunts.
you're thinking of toe cages, straps are used exactly because they won't destroy your shoes...
>>
>>>/toy/
>>
>>1659301
still a literal death trap. I mean there's lots of reasons to dislike SPDs (so this board says, personally I have no issues), but they do pop out as soon as shit starts going wrong.
>>
>>1659343
>they do pop out as soon as shit starts going wrong
Not in my experience. Which is the reason I dislike them.
Toe clips, on the other hand, I can slip in and out of without issue. But then I don't tighten the strap more than makes that possible.
>>
>>1659348
this, toe clips are peak foot retention technology, you can get around town being comfy in your vans then you can just pop out shoes with a slotted cleat, tighten the straps down and you are ready for the velodrome, fuck the clipless merchants
>>
>>1659371
Yeah, because I ride around town on the same bike I use at the velodrome.
>>
>>1659371
cringe
>>
>>1659390
>>1659418
have sex incels, life can be fun if you actually try
>>
>>1659390
>he doesn't
ngmi
>>
>>1659437
I'm an incel because I don't ride my track bike around the city in shitty Vans and then get to the velodrome and pull out some ancient shoes with a slotted cleat to work with my toe clip pedals? Ok, anon.
>>
>>1659302
this is how I imagine people who comment stuff like this
>>
>>1659343
>death trap
toe clips with elastomer springs are what you want
>>
>>1659613
I see nothing wrong with this picture.
>>
File: 1619894198847.jpg (127 KB, 598x800)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
fixies are gay and so are the people riding them.
that being said I'm thinking about getting one, I keep hearing people size down a frame size for fixed gear, is this true and why?
I wanted to get a surly steamroller but im literally inbetween the 49-53 sizes they have and wasnt sure to go up or down.
>>
>>1659939
they don't have 51cm? That kinda fucked
>>
>>1659939
most pro road cyclists seem to go down 1 or 2 sizes below the manufacturer's recommendation based on rider height but using a longer stem. when it comes to normies who size down i imagine a lot of them want to sit more upright as if they're driving a car or riding a horse. imo measure your pubic bone height and give yourself 1 to 2 inches of clearance over the standover height. the size 49 has a 748.5mm standover height and the size 53 has 780.5mm. the reach on the steamroller doesn't scale in proportion to the size/seat tube length so maybe lean toward the smaller size for that reason, especially if you can barely clear the standover height of the size 53.
>>
>>1659939
49 ist tiny. how tall are you anon?
>>
>>1659965
it might be too tiny iv been experimenting around, I'm 5'8 32 inseam, I have a 54 domane and it just feels too big and felt like 52 would of really been the correct size trek to get, so im wondering about the steamroller.
>>
>>1660053
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/domane/domane-al/domane-al-2/p/33037/
>size 52 stack 561 reach 371
>size 54 stack 575 reach 374
https://surlybikes.com/bikes/steamroller
>size 49 stack 504.9 reach 388.1
>size 53 stack 531.3 reach 394.0

the reach difference is only a few mm, you can easily go up or down 1-2 cm with a different stem and spacer stack. possibly your domane is a bit too big since it wouldn't be too out of line for people 5'10-5'11 to choose a size 54 but it's marginal in terms of reach. if reach is your problem, maybe you just haven't found the right saddle position and learned to ride in a more forward leaning position. stack would be a more significant difference since the domane has a more laid back endurance geometry. if the stack is your problem, the steamroller in size 53 is still lower than the domane in size 52.
>>
>>1660053
I would have thought 54 would be the perfect size for you.
>>
>>1658467
sheldon brown said ride one so I ride one simple as
>>
>>1658467
it's for copelets who hate the possibility that someone might be better than them at bike maintenance or just going fast. so they buy a gimped bike in order to be able to say "you don't need to be able to do that" which is psychologically easier than saying "I can't do that"
>>
File: 511789_4743817.jpg (128 KB, 1119x689)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>1660226
I am a fixie faggot who is guilty of this. I would have no idea how to index a derailleur or change a cassette but I like to pretend that I am a good "mechanic" because I am able to replace my cog/chainring/chain/wrap bars.

The thought of riding a "normal" road bikes scares me.
>>
>>1660226
nah, its mostly the look, track bikes looks good
>>
>>1660056
Thx
>>
>>1660226
>hate the possibility that someone might be better than them
It has nothing to do with that. Yes I'm slow and bike maintenance is not very fun, but your abilities regarding anything is completely irrelevant to my choice of bike. Believe it or not, the world does not revolve around you and no one cares how their personal choices might relate to you.
Riding fixed is fun and low maintenance is nice.
>>
>>1658467
its for people who hate their knees and enjoy suffering I guess
id say much of their utility is squandered by how low quality many fork ends are, it makes setting up chain tension just that little bit extra of a pita
>>
>>1660477
>its for people who hate their knees and enjoy suffering I guess
not for weaklings like you for sure
>>
File: eliminator-lifestyle-10.jpg (427 KB, 1800x1202)
427 KB
427 KB JPG
>>1660477
>id say much of their utility is squandered by how low quality many fork ends are, it makes setting up chain tension just that little bit extra of a pita
i feel fortunate to have integrated chain tensioners
but i'm not sure how crucial it is to have them because my problems were beyond what was normal with another bike from a tiny european brand which had a horribly misaligned frame and the track ends were angled comically inwards (as if they didn't know how to get the chainstays to sit closer together so they just welded the track ends askew to get 120mm-ish spacing) so it wasn't really possible to get the wheel to sit straight
perhaps with a higher quality frame it would be feasible to cope with not having chain tensioner bolts since it would be easier to see if the wheel is in straight and you won't have to take the wheel off all that often after the initial setup
>>
>>1659613
I like that MAMIL's optimism in wearing that jersey.
>>
people are bragging about how much smarter of a bike mechanic they are compared to fixed riders and then they struggle to tension a chain without a derailleur? KeK
>>
>>1660926
yeah and internal gear hub bikes are said to be utilitarian and those need chain tensioning in the same way so it's a fairly minor issue. it's actually less of a pain to remove the wheel on a fixie because with an IGH bike there's the gear cable and it might have an awkward chainguard as well.
>>
>>1659613
pragmatic old timers who still wear "outdated" and "unearned" kit because it works fine, they're not delusional enough to think a stranger will think they earned it in a race, and they're not chasing all the latest MAAP and Pas Normal Studios trends?
>>
>>1636540
Use it as sprint training, make that lemonade.
>>
>>1636892
No, why would it kill you?
>>
>>1658467
I just bought a cheap 80s road bike, now I want to make it into a fixie just for fun
>>
>>1658467
I built one in college for a variety of reasons
-it was hip
-it was fun, different, and easy
-it was relatively cheap to take an old frame and put decent parts on it (since there are fewer parts on a brakeless fixed gear)
-less maintenance, especially for a bike that is going to be locked up outside all through the year.
>>
>>1661312
>brakeless
really?
>>
>>1661318
>really?
Oh for sure, anon. I had to commit so everyone would think I was cool. But jokes aside, I probably wouldn't go brakeless now at my age, but as a young man it was fun.
>>
>>1661318
whats the problem with brakeless?
bmx people ride brakeless freewheels in traffic, we can safely brake with our legs, its not like all brakeless people ride around like those faggots on youtube jumping red lights, molesting cars and skidding on people
>>
>>1661414
Because BMXes probably go about a quarter of the speed of a normal bike, so they're easier to stop, just like a skateboard
>>
>>1661467
mashing 60 gear inches out of the saddle on a freestyle bmx is still going to give you a decent speed, a sudden obstacle, be it a pedestrian, a car or whatever, its still going to make the situation ugly. if you have some neurons you dont ride track gear inches on the street with your fixed and contrary to bmxers you have a way to slow down outside of putting your foot on the tire or wathver improvisation they came up with at the moment.
>>
>>1661535
"decent speed" lol
fixies can hit well over 40 km/h with street gearing
>>
>>1661535
No
>>
>>1658461
Clipless, makes skiding and stoping easier.

>>1658467

It's fun, the adrenalin rush you get from having to stop a bike with just the power of your legs while riding through traffic is great.
>>
>>1661956
>just the power of your legs

or you can stand up, and use the full weight of your body, not just legs.
>>
>>1661956
>Clipless, makes skiding and stoping easier.
How so?
>>
>>1661956
>>the adrenalin rush you get from having to stop a bike with just the power of your legs while riding through traffic
>I'm a colossal asshole
ftfy
>>
>>1661963
shut up pussy
>>
File: Salsa Stormchaser.png (672 KB, 1097x739)
672 KB
672 KB PNG
thoughts on 'expensive' singlespeeds?
>>
>>1662014
cringe
>>
>>1662014
Jesus H. Christ - you could build an njs bike for that (says the guy who rides a cinelli that cost way too much money).
>>
>>1662017
>you could build an njs bike for that
lolno
>>
>>1636431
what tyres are these my dude? I'm struggling to find a good puncture proof pair of tan wall tyres
>>
>>1662014
>cable discs on a fixie
yikes and do better
>>
>>1662018
why not, a cheap-ish frame you can get for around 600, which leaves you a grand for everything else (and the frame comes with headset/bb), I think you could make it.
>>
>>1662014
Those rear dropouts look sketchy af. The welds make it look like a mid tier bike. The disc + fix is kinda cool but so niche I can imagine the difficulty in finding a replacement wheel. I understand the geometry is supposed to be relaxed on this kind of bike but it could've had sharper angles. TRP brake levers are really nice though, even if the discs are mechanical. I have a set of the carbon levers, TRP levers have been hard to find the past year.
>>
>>1662066
maybe if you're lucky and/or buy second hand stuff
https://www.tracksupermarket.com/njs-build-package.html
>>
>>1662099
it's not fixed gear. it uses regular wheels like a singlespeed conversion, it still has gear cable routing and you can fit a derailleur to it.
>>
>>1662014
If you're spending decent money a single speed buy it from a brand known for it, like Dolan or Cinelli. You can get some fantastic higher end single speed bikes, but they're still not that expensive (for example the Dolan FXE frameset is £265 and complete bikes start at £700). With that you'll get all round great components that are built to last and have fantastic scope for upgrading. I have the FXE frame because it has both front and rear brake drillings so is, apart from the gearing, essentially the same as a road bike. I've upgraded most parts on it since I first built it but still have absolutely no desire to change the frame. I love riding it and I couldn't be happier with it. The reality is that there is no place for bikes like the one you posted. They're way more expensive than they need to be and you're making compromises throughout
>>
>>1662103
what do you need NJS for anyway
build your own wheels etc
>>
>>1662014
gears actually make sense for offroad (and roads with steep hills). the salsa journeyman with gears is actually cheaper than the stormchaser. if you had a strong enough preference for singlespeed to justify buying the stormchaser you wouldn't be asking in the first place.
>>
>>1662040
>>1662099
It's not a fixed gear.
>>
>>1662014
that fixie sure does have a lot of bottle cage mounts.
>>
>>1661959

I meant to say that lol

>>1661960
My feet aren't scuffling around as much and they are always in the right position where I apply the most down force.
>>
Anyone familiar with Alien frames? Got one selling for $350 in my city.
>>
File: surly fixed disc.jpg (45 KB, 768x768)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>1662112
>>1662283
>it's not fixed gear.
oof, that's a big yikes from me, it should come standard with one of these
>>
>>1662408
Oh a bike of that pricepoint, it should come with something nice.
>>
>>1662399
looks like pvc piping haha
>>
File: 2009-2010-156.jpg (2.46 MB, 3657x2193)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>1662399
white bikes are what people put on cyclists graves
it's called a ghost bike
>>
>>1662452
Just because that frame is painted white doesn't mean it's a "ghost bike".
>>
>>1662453
it is until someone puts some big colourful decals on it
>>
>>1662399
Any used frame for 350 sounds like a rip off, especially if you haven't even heard of the brand and are needing to ask
>>
>>1662399
don't know why you'd accept a quill stem on a fixie if it doesn't come with a cool classic paintjob.
a stiff front end from threadless is pretty big when you have to throw the bike around to get up hills.
I'd guess that's a pretty nice frame just from how pointy the lugs are and how the fork crown is drilled and that style of seat cluster but really, for me, no
>>
>>1662399
do you have a plan on how to build it up? the components add up cost wise. the wheels alone without tires, tubes or rim tape could cost like $200-300 for a very basic set of wheels, for a nicer set they could cost a lot more and you might need to custom build. the full bike build could end up costing $1000+ if you don't cheap out on everything like the chain and tires etc and the frame is arguably the most important part of the bike so it's one of the last things you should compromise on. the frameset cost $350 in 2008 according to https://coolhunting.com/tech/alien-bikes/ so $350 does not seem like a killer deal for an old used frame, it could be decent for all i know but probably about what you'd expect for the price since entry level frames like kilo tt or state 4130 have been sub $200 brand new.
>>
>>1662399
the frame looks cool, but black components on a threaded classic build is like spitting in a glass of aged barolo wine
>>
>>1662452
>americans
>>
File: 1607062032221.png (263 KB, 1098x685)
263 KB
263 KB PNG
is this a good buy if i want a fixie for using around town?
>>
>>1663324
anything that use the word "fixie" unironically is to avoid at all costs
>>
>>1663388
idk i live in australia and these people add 'ie' to the end of fucking everything
>>
>>1663425
>roadie bike
>triie bike
>cruisie bike
>ttie bike
>foldie bike
>trackie bike
>>
>>1663324
it's not an enthusiast grade bike, could be borderline miserable for an adult to ride. it has the cheapest possible components, no carbon fork. the frame might not even be straight or heat treated properly, although they do sell $1000+ road bikes as well so maybe they're not a complete joke in terms of being able to source properly made frames. for that price you could be looking at decent used bikes which you could convert or you could save up for a nicer new fixie.
>>
>>1663463
>for that price you could be looking at decent used bikes
not in australia and not in this economy lmao
>>
>>1663497
wrong
>>
>>1663497
it doesn't even have a geometry chart as far as i can tell, doesn't set a high bar for a used bike to be nicer
>>
File: 1620724140197.png (1.39 MB, 935x2664)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
>>1663498
well here's whats on gumtree in my state for fixies below $550
keeping in mind i generally want a 'medium' bike, it's slim pickings
on bikeexchange there is one used fixie below 500 bucks in the whole country and its 2007 Giant Bowery Single Speed with a flip flop
i welcome your thoughts
>>
>>1663502
>keeping in mind i generally want a 'medium' bike
the fuck are you talking about?? do you mean;
>keeping in mind i want a medium bike
>>
>>1663503
i mean that generally speaking I want medium sized frames although I tend to be on the edge of Medium to Large and some manufacturers would suggest I get a large bike so when shopping for used bikes which could be from plenty of different brand offerings I can't say with certainty I'd want that manufacturer's medium size for that model of bike
>>
>>1663504
so you're a 5'11 manlet
>>
>>1663502
tell us your height
if you're a 56cm on a modern bike, a 58cm could make sense on a vintage style bike
that $365 vintage road bike or $300 reynolds bike might be acceptable
maybe you can convert a different road bike, don't have to look at fixie specific listings
check facebook and other sites like ebay too
the reid blackhawk is such a piece of shit you don't even know
>>
>>1663502
i looked up the $365 bike, it's actually not a vintage road bike, it's a $649 vintage inspired fixie with modern 700C wheels, no conversion needed besides flipping the hub

https://chappelli.com/products/vintage-single-speed
>>
>>1663497
isnt australia on good trade terms with china? if you can avoid paying a lot of import taxes look at tsunami frames on aliexpress
>>
>>1663507
thanks for admitting you're an angry little runt who was wrong and then lashing out over nothing
>>1663686
ill give it a look, importing stuff is free below AU$1000 per parcel so should be fine on aliexpress
>>
>>1663515
I'm 5'10
>>
File: GHOST.jpg (79 KB, 784x475)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>1662453
obviously bikes with white frames are not literal ghost bikes, but riding a white bike is a little tasteless because some people do indeed associate them with ghost bikes. There are so many nice colours for a bicycle, for example black or purple.
>>
>>1663855
Nobody sees someone riding a white bike and associates it with a ghost bike.
>>
>>1663861
What a ridiculous claim to make. How do you know that literally nobody associates white bikes with ghost bikes? How would you prove this? Have you asked every cyclist in the world? I live in a major city in Europe and ghost bikes are a thing here.

I can assure you that, from now on, every time you see a white bike, you will think "ghost bike"
>>
>>1663855
>but riding a white bike is a little tasteless because some people do indeed associate them with ghost bikes
cannot possibly stress how little i give a fuck about some freak's little rituals when choosing a bicycle
>>
>>1663876
you are so far down the spectrum i'm surprised you're capable of using a keyboard
>>
>>1663882
This doesn't even make sense, anon. If you are going to call people autistic as an insult, it says a lot about your personality.
>>1663881
Who hurt you? I am asking sincerely. Why would something so mundane get you all riled up?
>>
>>1663909
you're trying to play armchair psychologist and failing
>>
File: ghostbike.jpg (207 KB, 800x450)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>1663910
No I am being completely sincere. I am not trying to one-up you. I am genuinely interested why a lot of anons get all hot and bothered over somebody expressing their opinion about something completely mundane. It's a bit silly.
>>
>>1663914
Nobody is hot and bothered but you mate
Just because they disagree with you doesn't make them mad
You're being ridiculous and projecting your own frustration onto anonymous shitposting. Maybe you should stick to reddit
>>
>>1663939
Is everything okay at home anon? why are you so upset? It's okay for different people to have different opinions.
>>
>>1663942
see >>1663910
>>
Got my first fixie/single speed a couple days ago. I absolutely love it, its light and zippy and its everything cycling should be like.

I'm finding it difficult to build speed on flat stretches though, like it gets to a decent speed (but not really what I could achieve with my hybrid) and after that I'm just turning the pedals like a madman for zero gain, I end up looking like a fool with a bike who has his gear set way too low. Is there anything to solve this?
>>
>>1663998
sounds like you need a better gear ratio
>>
>>1664000
This involves changing the sprocket right? I haven't a clue how this is done but I'll look into it. Won't it make acceleration slower though?
>>
>>1664002
Yes, it is an exchange between top speed and acceleration, that is how it works
>>
>>1663998
>one gear
>quick acceleration
>high top speed
pick two
>>
>>1663998
>I end up looking like a fool with a bike who has his gear set way too low
you literally answered your own question, buy a sprocket with 1 less tooth and try it, if its still too low repeat, 1 tooth on the sprocket is a nice jump, dont start by dropping too much teeth
>>1663914
this is literally autism, i always rode white bikes and no one ever mentioned anything about the custom of putting them on graves
white is just the best color, on bikes, on cars, on people skin..
>>
>>1664010
based
>>
>>1664010
Will 1 tooth really make a noticeable difference? I am completely new to all of this
>>
>>1663958
no, the only person who is playing the armchair psychologist is you anon. go ride a bike.
>>
>>1639074
Bruh you ought to be able to bend that bracket a little more to get your rack level. Couple big vice grips will do it. Or go get a little anvil and hammer at harbor freight. Submit the steel to your will.
>>
>>1664022
You're a bit touchy kek
>>
>>1663998
maybe you need to work on your cadence, pro road cyclists used to grind heavy gears until they got power meters and figured out that you can in fact get a lot of power out of spinning with a highish cadence
see also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOFRsuqHntA
>>
>>1664020
one tooth less in the back is like adding more or less 3 tooth in the front, its a jump of around 4 gear inches, very noticeable if you ask me.
>>1664079
spinners are just cringe leglets, do your squats anon, fuck number crunching on computers, fuck science, mash a big gear and let your quads ascend
>>
>>1664079
This is one creepy fucking nigger. I also stumbled upon his videos because I saw his review of the engine 11 crit-d. He has some kind hands/ASMR fetish. All of his reviews involve him speaking really slowly and touching shit with his hands.
https://youtu.be/iPdtXQI4zj4

omg is this you? lmao
>>
>>1664083
it's common for noobs and casuals to ride with an excessively low cadence. having one tooth less in the back could be too little or too much depending on what his bike came with and what his riding conditions are. to be a capable fixed gear rider you should be able to vary your cadence so that it's a bit lower on climbs and in slow traffic, and higher during sprints. you don't have a choice but to vary your cadence since you only have one gear.
>>
>>1664142
Thanks for pointing about the obvious. No shit, you pedal slow when you want to go slow and you pedal fast if you want to go fast.
>>
>>1664228
i'm replying to this dumbass advice:
>spinners are just cringe leglets, do your squats anon, fuck number crunching on computers, fuck science, mash a big gear and let your quads ascend
if he's slower on his fixie than his hybrid, he's probably just not used to 80+ rpm cadence, it's something that a lot of new cyclists struggle with on road bikes too
with a fairly modest gear ratio you can reach 40+ km/h which is faster than what most people do on their hybrids
>>
this is 49/17:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbCzWRnKCaI
>>
>>1664283
ok chicken legs
>>
Let's be real guys. If you are mashing a massive gear, the only thing you are doing is damaging your knees. It only makes sense to have a massive gear if you only use your bike for you 5km commute to work or running errands or some shit. Even then, a 49/17 would be better suited for starting and stopping and it feels better. Anybody who thinks otherwise is lying to them self and is suffering from "toxic masculinity" or some gay shit.

Anybody who has been riding fixed gear for a really long time and has tried out a lot of gear ratios eventually comes to the conclusion that 49/17 is a godly gear ratio. Actual roadies ride like 80% of the time on flat ground on something similar to this.

For long rides, it is hell of a lot faster than riding in 49/15 or some shit.

I am running 53/17 because I like to keep things a little spicy.
>>
>>1664458
I ride 42/15 on my 5 km commute. Is comfy.
>>
>>1664458
all this talk then he ride 83 gear inches, KeK welcome to the mashers club anon, 53/16 here, moderately hilly area
>>
File: 1603694079325.png (729 KB, 880x1121)
729 KB
729 KB PNG
might offer this guy $50 aussie for this bike and see if it's serviceable for a piece of shit to ride around town and not really have to worry about being nicked
never had a fixie before, it's a flip flop hub, and idk what he means by 'blacked out' but reckon for the cost of an uber eats it's worth a punt
>>
>>1664458
>toxic masculinity
go away
>>
>>1664561
do you not understand sarcasm? I literally wrote toxic masculinity in inverted commas. You are the special snowflake if my choice of words offends you, sissy boy.
>>
>>1664647
you seem a little touchy
>>
>>1664666
yes i am touchy.
>>
>>1664731
probably not the website for you then mate
>>
>>1664734
no it is the website for me.
>>
>>1664458
>says 49/17 is godly
>uses 53/17 himself
bruh
>>
>>1664813
yes, I didn't want to open that can of worms but I own 2 bicycles, one very nice one for harmony joy rides and a beater for commuting and running errands.

I have 49/17 gear ratio on my nice bike, it's the objectively better ratio for dealing with hills and wind on long rides.

I'm running a 53/17 on my beater because of I don't know...complete arbitrariness I guess.
>>
>>1664819
both 49 and 53 are nice chainrings, they both give the maximum amount of skid patches with any sprocket but 53 is the patrician choice, the bigger the chainring the bigger your pp
>>
File: 34207-00-d-54641.jpg (73 KB, 768x768)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
So I ordered this and a few other things so I don't have to carry my 5 inch adjustable wrench with me on bike rides. It looks pretty cool and it has a bottle opener to crack open those hipster craft beers.
>>
File: runwell.png (195 KB, 925x617)
195 KB
195 KB PNG
>>1665605
I use this one - fits in my bag easily, and doesn't bite into your hand when using it.
>>
>>1665619
joke on you, my hubs use a 5mm allen key
>>
>>1665619
also you can shove it up your ass with ease
>>
>>1662014
If you want a fixed gear, buy a fixed gear. If you want a road bike, buy a road bike. Fixed bikes are good because they're fun and stupid simple. Road bikes are good because their efficient. That bike looks complicated and inefficient.
>>
>>1665638
>Road bikes are good because their efficient
Technically, fixed gear bikes are more efficient because their drivetrains are far more simple. But I get what you mean, road bikes are much more versatile
>>
>>1665637
haven't tried that, but i'll take your word for it.
>>
File: combination wrench.jpg (14 KB, 600x600)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>1665605
>>1665619
what's wrong with carrying one of these? It's what I do
>>
>>1663998
get gears, don't be afraid, riding a fixie you already look like a fool by default
>>
>riding down bike lane pretty fast
>see a guy walking down with his back to me
>shout "on your left" at the top of my lungs
>he steps to the left
>>
>>1665809
>ride too fast
>don't have brakes so can't slow down
>don't have a bell, the universal way of letting people know a bike is coming
>blame others
Cool dude.
>>
wow, mid-range fixed hubs are an absolute scam. I bought the cheapest ones available and they are exactly the same, I'm sure even the nuts come from the exact same lot in China. The only difference might be in the quality of the aluminium but to my eyes and hands they look and feel exactly the same as a typical 100€ hub
>>
File: Huds-Small-DSCF2123.jpg (150 KB, 1000x667)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>1665685
It's too long to fit into a saddlebag and I wouldn't want to carry it in my jersey pocket. I wish the Affinity wrench was still available in Europe, I can't find it anywhere.
>>
>>1665894
what did you buy? those novatec track hubs with the teardrop cutouts are maybe not as stiff and durable as most heavier hubs. there are different models with a similar appearance and the cheap ones might be fitted with inferior bearings.
>>
>>1665894
the difference might be how well they're sealed and therefor how well they last
>>
>>1665927
There's other brands that sell the same wrench - https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01F51177I/ is one example. I have one from a different brand again but the idea is the same
>>
>>1665927
couldn't you just cut a wrench in half and file the end smooth?
it would be easy with a cheap one
>>
>>1666154
nahhh.. because nice things are nice.
>>
>>1665881
>reading comprehension
>>
What are the best wheels? are mavic ellipse any good? I am considering getting some custom wheels built.

Ridea hubs, meme h plus son archetype rims, cx-ray spokes. I will run 28mm tyres. Is this insane?
>>
>>1667004
If you're getting them built by someone good, they're going to be great pretty much regardless of which rims you choose. Archetypes are good but not the lightest as far as I know. I have a set of Borg31 wheels which are some cheap but good quality rims built with 20 spokes at the front and 24 at the rear. They look a lot nicer than the typical 28 or 32 spoke wheels you get on fixed gears in my opinion.
>>
>>1667031
yeah i was looking at borg31 before i decided to build my own with dt 370 track hubs, dt rr 511 rims, dt alpine iii spokes.

>>1667004
mavic ellipse are probably alright but imo they're probably a bit dated to be honest, they only have 15C rim width. i would prefer a 10mm rear axle just so that the bike's geometry will be perfectly as intended. and i've read they're a pain to service because they use nonstandard spokes.

cx-ray spokes are a bit of a meme if you don't have deeper rims and you give up some stiffness compared to thicker spokes. on road bikes which have a narrower rear wheel they might get a significant amount of flex during sprints and such although it might be fine on track wheels. dt t 1800 classic wheels do use dt aerolite which is the dt swiss answer to cx-ray. there are cx-sprint and dt aero comp for a better balance between aero and stiffness. you could also go for regular double butted spokes to save a bit of money or to free up some of your budget to go toward other rims or hubs.

https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog/from-the-vault-spoke-aerodynamics
>>
>>1667260
How difficult was it to built your own? I'd love to give it a try and a fixed gear wheelset is probably the best place to start
>>
>>1667004
I ride Dandy Horse Foton Track SL, laced to DTSwiss 370 hubs - not the lightest, but rolling great - only had the front wheel trued once after rear-ending an SUV that stopped suddenly in front of me, but besides that, smooth riding since I got them about 5000 km ago.
>>
>>1667287
it's not the easiest thing in the world especially if you're a perfectionist but it's more like it's time consuming rather than difficult. to build them to high standards like a serious wheelbuilder would, like within +/- 0.1mm trueness and +/- 5% variation in spoke tension, and close to the max spoke tension rating, you should have the right tools like a good spoke wrench, spoke tension meter, and truing stand. have some spare spokes and nipples on hand in case you fuck up. the 20/24 dt swiss rims each came with 28 nipples and washers included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTC5KebZyeo - has a useful tip to get a 12mm nipple to thread onto a spare spoke to use as a tool to hold nipples to help lace the wheel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2jTrJYJGd8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3lsjJp18rs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t36Pe63-0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_A6YzjcpBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc_MY0OBqBo
https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wheel-building-tip-no-14-set-the-spoke-path/
https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wheel-building-tip-no-4-how-to-pre-stress-your-wheel/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S187770581403241X - has a taught string formula for the relation between spoke tension and pitch so you can use a guitar tuning app like gStrings (especially on a radially laced wheel) to see if your spoke tension meter is in the ballpark
>>
>>1667301
also
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
>>
>>1667314
Jesus christ, building a wheel can't be that simple when you need 10 links to websites and blogs explaining it. I would rather just have my LBS do it for me lmao
>>
>>1667331
i don't trust my local shops because everyone just rides an old dutch bike or department store hybrid bike where i live so i don't think they take things as seriously as wheelbuilders do in anglosphere countries. but yeah the average person should just have someone else do it for them or get prebuilt wheels. just thought you might be more of a hardcore hobbyist since you're on 4channel and said you'd love to give it a try.
>>
>>1667004
i've got some kinlin xc279 rims in 20/24h laced to rollcii hubs with dt comp spokes in 2x rear and radial front and at 1560g for the wheelset with tape they are solid, decently deep/wide, light and fairly priced if your wheel builder isnt a thief also very good profile with 25c conti tires
>>
>>1667301
Looks good, thanks for the links
>>
>>1667331
you replied to a post containing the only link you need. ive build over a dozen bicycle wheels and even a few dirt bike wheels and that sheldon brown link is the only resource I've ever used for wheelbuilding
>>
File: Snapchat-479514970.jpg (268 KB, 1439x1440)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
How cool am I gonna look when I rock these on my fixie conversion beater bike?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.