[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 81 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: animal.jpg (42 KB, 628x320)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Post pics
Be specific
And remember:
>You don't need suspension on a bike unless it is to be used exclusively on technical downhill trails
>Carbon is a meme designed to make bikes literal disposable consoomer tat, unless you ride professionally, have your bikes supplied free of charge for each and every race and every single millisecond off the lap time determines what your family will be eating next week - or you have a deathwish - get a metal bike with metal forks, seat post, stem and handlebars.

With that being said let's make this one the greatest /bqg/ thread ever in the history of /n/

Previous >>1629427
>>
File: my 90's meme bike.png (1.1 MB, 548x685)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
Looking for a nice set of 26'' slicks for my meme retro 90's mtb, preferably light, decent roll and ride comfort with at least some kind of puncture protection, money no object.
>>
Mainly out of interest, what would everyone's recommendation be for the best aluminium disc brake frameset you can get. CAAD13?
>>
>>1633502
Ignore brand, look at geometry charts only. There is no 'best', only matters of preference.

>>1633493
There's not many options for high end 26" slicks, but you can get the GP5000 in 1.1" if you're looking to go narrower, Panaracer Gravelking in 2.1", Rene Herse tires in a couple different widths and those are my first rec usually. Also, the Maxxis DTH is supposedly pretty good for a cheaper tire.
Rene Herse.
>>
File: 04042021163543.jpg (658 KB, 1597x3570)
658 KB
658 KB JPG
Is this valve salvageable? I was trying to bend it back straight, but it snapped. Am I going to need to replace the whole tube, or can I just replace the valve core? I know tubeless valve cores are removable, but this seems to be one solid object.
>>
>>1633513
Forgot to add that it's a 700c continental tube.
>>
>>1633513
Depends where you live. If you're in a country where Dunlop/Woods valves are common a bike shop should have a valve core for you. If you're in the US though the answer is no because those aren't common here.
>>
>>1633511
>GP5000
Thanks anon, I'll go for the GP's.
>>
Will stretching my trapezius muscles after riding give me the mobility to use drop bars and reduce soreness?

>>1633187
I'm a tad confused by what you mean with the hand position on the hoods.
>>
>>1633516
I don't think an adapter will work because it won't close the hole in the presta valve. Adapters are just different shaped tubes, no valve mechanism to replace the broken one.
>>
>>1633513
Replace the tube. They're not THAT expensive.
>>
>>1633493
Tioga powerblock are pretty cool
Schwalbe kojak or almotion
There is some 26" bontrager that people like but i forget
>>
>>1633517
1x26" tires feel like shit, especially on a rigid ass mtb
>>
>>1633516
>>1633540
Never mind. I see that you said "valve core" and not "adapter". Please excuse me.
I'm still unsure how one would attach a Dunlop/Woods valve core to a Presta valve.

>>1633548
It just seems wasteful to replace a perfectly good tube because the valve broke.
>>
>>1633559
Thanks anon, I was set on getting the GP's but I would like to see as many as possible before I pull the trigger. It's not that I like to shop around for the best deal as much as I enjoy researching as many options as possible before pulling the trigger, it's interesting as fuck and of course will help with making better informed choices. I did stumble across the Kojaks earlier and they did seem like a decent tyre.

It's a surprisingly difficult decision to make, so many considerations, weight, rolling resistance, durability, comfort, aesthetics etc, I saw a few examples of 90's mtb's with 26 x 1 to 1 1/2 inch 'skinnies' and to be honest they look a bit daft, like they are wheels for a childs racer on an adults bike, I also reckon they'll be fairly uncomfortable.

What do you reckon would be the optimum width for a bike that will be used primarily on third world tier tarmac and the odd dirt road?
>>
>>1633560
Yeah, see...
>>1633568
>>
>>1633565
>It just seems wasteful to replace a perfectly good tube because the valve broke.
It's not. It's not a perfectly good tube if the valve is ruined. That's like saying it's wasteful to replace a mostly good tube just because one section has a great big gash in it.
>>
>>1633568
I reckon the optimum width to be 26" x 1.75" to 26" x 2.00" or about 45mm to 50mm. I suggest the Continental Double Fighter III. Remember internal rim width and tire pressure matter too.
>>
File: 1587647138765.jpg (63 KB, 700x367)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>1633568
STOP ASKING QUESTIONS JUST GO BUY SOME FUCKING GP5KS THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY PERFECT FOR EVERY SINGLE USE CASE WITHOUT EXCEPTION YOU WILL NEVER FLAT AND YOU WILL GO 10 MPH FASTER. THEY ARE THE JESUS OF BIKE TIRES.
>>
>>1633531
Stretching will help avoid soreness and injuries, yes. Will it give you extra mobility? Yes, to an extent: being more flexible will make it easier to hold a variety of positions on the bike, but if your problem is having stem/bars that aren't an appropriate length or width to give you a good fit then no amount of stretching will fix that.

>>1633568
Ideal width really depends on surfaces and rider weight. For rough pavement 1.5" is fine for most people, but if you have clearance for it and appropriate rims you might as well go for 1.75" or even 2" - there's almost no downsides to going a little wider as long as you're choosing a light/supple tire.
>>
>>1633482
Has anyone got any good links to interesting cycling related shops that are a bit more "obscure"?
I remember seeing a fake IKEA-branded water bottle from some random instagram person's webshop. Also interested in interesting stickers, weird jerseys and all that stuff
>>
File: 1607141843631.jpg (89 KB, 679x869)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>1633594
Amazon's full of bizarre chinkshit these days. (and not just for bikes, they're practiacally Aliexpress West now)

https://www.amazon.com/Cycling-Jersey-Sleeve-Outdoor-Clothing/dp/B0796R55BB/
>>
>>1633596
I'm not really looking for anything really bizarre and certainly not for chinkshit, really. The point is to find stuff that isn't on Amazon and maybe supporting some cool people on the way.
>>
>>1633588
>internal rim width and tire pressure matter too.
Yes, my wheels are Mavic 231CD's
>>1633590
>THEY ARE THE JESUS OF BIKE TIRES
lol, I will investigate these extraordinary claims and get back to you.
>>
Can you use non clincher tyres on clincher rims?
>>
Thoughts on repainting and replacing decals on quality vintage frames?

Does it matter?
If the original paint and decals are in shit condition surely redoing it with colour matched paint and genuine decals will improve the bikes resale value, or will anal purists decide that the bike is no longer 'original' and therefore trash?
>>
File: img_1143.jpg (40 KB, 800x800)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1633602
I'm just looking for stuff like pic related, for example. Interesting and unusual items related to cycling
>>
File: quackers.png (261 KB, 476x469)
261 KB
261 KB PNG
>>1633615
You just have to hunt around anon, Etsy.com has some amazing eclectic bike accessories, but finding them involves a hunt, they do eclectic everything so it's like looking for a needle ina stack of needles.

Also there's sites like 'lightinthebox' that sell things like rubber duck bike bells among other things.
>>
I want a touring bike.
Is the long haul trucker a meemee?

Need it or keep it?
>>
>>1633606
You mean tubular tires? No, those cannot be used on clincher rims as they need to be glued to a smooth, rounded rim bed.

>>1633611
Really depends on how valuable a bike is. If it's some super rare old bike with Cambio Corsa dropouts or something else with historical interests then purists will be opposed to anything other than a 100% period correct restore. If it's just some old bike then do whatever you want with it - as long as you're not trying to pass it off as something more valuable than it really is (read: repainting your old Raleigh as a Colnago before putting in ebay) then do what makes you happy.

>>1633621
It's a meme because it's one of the few readily available touring bikes in the US market and has been consistently available for many years since Surly is QBP's house brand - but just because it's a meme doesn't make it bad, they're very useful bikes/frames.
>>
File: red bollocks.png (450 KB, 498x506)
450 KB
450 KB PNG
>>1633620
>lightinthebox
Ah yes, home of the fabled saddle hanging glowing scrotum light
>>
File: cameltoe.png (441 KB, 1613x500)
441 KB
441 KB PNG
>>1633625
And let us not forget the world renowned camel toe accentuating cycling shorts.
>>
>>1633620
I forgot Etsy existed to be honest, thanks
>>
>>1633548
>>1633586
I just checked. My local bike shops are out of continental tubes in my size. Which brand should I choose? Either 49°N or EVO.
>>
>>1633633
whichever is cheaper - the brand names on tube boxes are just brand names, there's only a handful of factories in the world that make bike tubes and there's not any appreciable difference between them as long as you're getting tubes in the right size to match your tires
>>
>>1633628
>>1633625
Pretty much exactly what I am NOT looking for. I am looking for stuff like bluelug for example
>>
File: 1586397971700.png (10 KB, 427x451)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>1633635
>he doesn't have Bike Nutz
>>
>>1633634
I noticed a very marked reduction in puncture frequency when I switched from Ching Shen tubes to Continental.
>>
>>1633493
schwalbe big apple comes in 2", 2.15", and 2.35". they run a little small in my experience - 2" is 1.8", 2.35" is 2.2". continental sport contact comes in 1.9" and smaller
>>
>>1633493
maxxis dth or marathon supreme
>>
>>1633502
probably allez sprint
they even memed peder sagan into racing on it at the tdu a couple years ago
>>
>>1633493
Panaracer kangs or schwalbe kojak baloon™ tyres in 2" width.
Extra points for challenge latex tubes, you'll be riding in the clouds.
see >>1633588 point about rim to tyre width for safety and refer to my pic also.
>>1633611
If it's a good frame that's worth restoring or is special to you, you can buy some reproduction decals on ebay and other sites.
Failing that, some places that do signwriting or make stickers might be able to recreate stickers from a pic of the original bike if you're stuck.
Bead blast and powdercoat, make sure things are masked properly and clean off excess paint before installing the BB and headset.
>>1633502
>>1633695
CHAAD13 and allez are both gud and geometry is very similar, both thru axle disc as well.
It's a really tough one for me personally. The Cannondale has some really nice wheels and looks great, so would probably be what I'd settle on if'm I had to choose.
>>
>>1633695
>>1633502
>>1633701
>BB30
*CREEEEEEEEEEEEEAK*
>>
>>1633706
All you need is lots of locking compound, a flapwheel, jubilee clip, and a Hambini™ BB shell don'tcha know?
>>
File: A E S T H E T I C.jpg (120 KB, 1200x600)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>caad13
>bb30
>not that light
>zero attempt to hide welds or shape tubes to make it look not-cheap
so why does everyone shill this again?
>>
>>1633708
Why doesn't the Emonda ALR have a T47 BB?
>>
>>1633710
bb86 pressfit is superior as long as the frame is made competently
>>
>>1633708
>hide welds
how, by grinding them and making the bike weaker? With filler?
>>
>>1633711
Then why does the SL6 have T47 instead of BB86?
>>
>>1633482

i think we can make an allowance for carbon seat posts. They're a simple shape and you can look inside of them to check for fraying of the cf. plus, ive seen alloy seatposts fail catastrophically as well.
>>
File: 1602448162787.png (113 KB, 1234x810)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>1633717
Because Trek is incapable of making carbon frames competently. Aluminum is much easier.
>>
>>1633502
CAAD13
allez sprint
emonda ALR
>>
>>1633650
this
most /n/ anons are delusional cheapskates
it's disproportionately american anons who complain about punctures because they use cheap shit inner tubes
europeans can use even gp 5000 and such with no problems
dutch cyclists pretty much never puncture either even though they neglect their bike
michelin airstop is good too, not as cheap and readily available as in europe but you can get it online
>>
>>1633695
>>1633738
>Implying puncture resistance isn't mostly a product of tyre pressure
Wew lad.
>>
>>1633743
look it up asshole
i'm spoonfeeding you the solution to your puncture woes and you're still coping
some anons resort to using overkill tires like schwalbe marathon plus/supreme etc and are too afraid to use even gp 4 season etc

>The type of inner tube used also has an effect: nature of the rubber, thickness and the presence of a self-sealing liquid.
https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/bicycle/tips-and-advice/tips-and-advice-bicycle/puncture-resistance

this quote talks about latex tubes but a higher quality butyl tube can improve puncture resistance and also keep more air in so you don't have to inflate it as often, hence the name michelin airstop
>Because the rubber is inherently stretchier, latex inner tubes are also more puncture-resistant, but for everyday riding you probably don’t want fewer punctures to come at the expense of daily inflation.
https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/7-best-inner-tubes-177018
>>
>>1633482
I use a tricycle, a steel bitch, beautiful red tri-rider. However she carries me wherever I need to get at and go to. I'll have to tune her up soon. She's going on two.
>>
>>1633746
what kind of retarded are you
>>
>>1633621
the LHT is a good touring bike but keep in mind it was designed for fully loaded touring. unloaded, it's stiff and does not like changing direction, but if you're a velohobo carrying 100 pounds of camping gear, frank zappa's entire discography on vinyl, and an esoteric piece of lost technology that could doom the planet or save it, it magically turns into a brilliant ride.
>>
>>1633731
Do you seriously think all the data on this graph are real? Do you honestly believe he measured 8 bikes made by Filament and 7 bikes made by Time? How many times have you personally seen these brands out on the road (my bet is 0) and do you think Hambini happens to have gotten hold of do many frames and measured them?
>>
>>1633502
mason definition 2 or trek emonda alr
>>
>>1633701
Thanks anon, very helpful.

The interior width of my rims is 23mm and the 2'' Kojaks come in at 50.8 mm, will they still be OK?
>>
>>1633785
you never need to worry about rim width tire width compatibility.
The whole thing is a pseudoscience
>>
>>1633745
Kek I'm not that guy by the way, y u so angry m8?
I got no puncture problems, and I run 60g latex tubes...
I had Ching Shen (maxxis) tubes and never had a problem with them, the other anon is probably installing them wrong or running way too high/low pressure or has a burr on the rim/bad rim tape job etc etc.
>>
>>1633787
>the other anon is probably installing them wrong or running way too high/low pressure or has a burr on the rim/bad rim tape job etc etc
Speaking as that other anon, if Conti tubes magically makes me install them correctly, run them at correct pressure and automatically files off all the burrs, then that's a point in Contis favour and magic I'm willing to pay for.
>>
Are Selle San Marco saddles good?
I need a saddle with cutout but all the saddles with good price (under €100) are out of stock but there is one Selle San Marco "racing" with 31% off for almost €100.
I'm not a weight weenie and don't really care about racing crap but I can only buy what is available. The model in question is the Aspide Supercomfort, intended use is gravel, no bib shorts
What I don't want is overly padded gel crap. Looking at you, Selle Italia.
>>
>>1633763
Randos constantly send him their bikes. It's his main source of content.
>>
>>1633798
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32787508902.html
>>
>>1633798
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001649437595.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000188759664.html
>>
>>1633799
At his peak he was showing maybe two bikes a month on his channel, and none of them were ever from Filament, Giant, Hongfu, Dengfu, or Specialized. So you're telling me that despite it being his main source of content, he has coincidentally never shown any of the 30+ frames from the aforementioned brands?
I'm not doubting that Filament frames are shit or that Giant frames are good, since both of those facts are well established. What I am doubting is how real these data are.
You don't think he would have taken the opportunity to show off how fucking appalling Filament frames are, especially considering how he had a long saga with a customer being told by Richard Craddock that the frame he made was good despite it being extremely loose due to him having no idea what he's doing?
>>
>>1633763
the box plot is misleading just like most of his pajeet claims
it's just samples at different points on the same frame
/n/ hates shills but likes potty mouthed bottom bracket salesman because the underdog narrative helps them cope with riding old second hand, cheap chink carbon and literal who meme brand bikes
>>
File: 1614733298815.png (229 KB, 458x490)
229 KB
229 KB PNG
>seethebro forgot his pills again
>>
>>1633802
>>1633803
Fuck off chang! Go masturbate over your Vinnie the Poo
>>
>>1633804
>Hongfu, Dengfu
>namedropping chinkshit trash
Yikes!
>>
>>1633835
Yikes that's heckin problematic
>>
>>1633793
What size tyre/tube are you running and at what pressure?
>>
>>1633798
I use an older Selle San Marco saddle and I like it well.
>>
>>1633798
They are well made and well loved by many.
Make sure it's wide enough for you and your riding style.
>>
What is this style of seat post called? I like the adjustment
>>
>>1633886
Looks like the ENVE twin bolt.
I think it comes in carbon too.
>>
File: irako.png (265 KB, 1023x1200)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
If both sides of my front hub have adjustable cones, does it matter which way I put the wheel in?

My understanding is for hubs with adjustment on one side, that side must be on the non-drive side of the bike otherwise the wheel can potentially tighten itself.
>>
>>1633903
no and a correctly torqued together cone and locknut can't be budged by anything other than a wrench

autism spec would dictate that the labels on your hub if there are any, read from the back of the bike.

also your tires are probably directional ifnot your hubs.
>>
>>1633907
Thanks anon, this helps a lot. I thought maybe I could tell from the spokes, as the leading spoke should be ahead of the others, but they all look equal to me.
>>
>>1633708
>welds instead of molded plastic
How do you make it through a day being judged (in your mind) by every fag who sees you?
>>
>>1633779
Are Mason bikes really that good (i.e. do you actually own one)?
I know that the UK cycling magazines suck Mason off but they do that with all of their buddies / secret sponsors like Hunt, who are known to sell cheap shit with a fancy sticker / graphic / lick of paint
>>
If you were to buy a folding bike, what size of wheels would you go for?
>>
What's the best product for sprucing up an old satin black bike frame? it has all the usual light scratches, scuffs and small chips but nothing worse than that.
I'm also planning on applying new decals so any reccs for a nice finishing/protective lacquer would be very much appreciated.

Cheers bros.
>>
>>1633886
get this type instead, lots of brands use it. you can get carbon clamping hardware and titanium bolts for it
>>
>>1633943
>>
>>1633942
car wax
clean it really well first with soapy water and a rag
degreaser before the soapy wash if it's badly greasy. I like the stuff in cans for cleaning engines that says to spray on then hose off

make sure you clean the area you decal really well with wax and grease remover or isopropyl.

I wouldn't replace beat up old decals if they're sitll on there in any form though... imo it's a thing to do for repainted frames. Beat up decals have their own charm.

polishing your metal parts with like autosol or something will make it pop too although it's kinda useless on anodizing. Personally i'd rather put effort into overhauling bearings.
>>
>>1633945
Thanks, the bike's just had a complete mechanical overhaul, all the bearings etc are tip top and ready to go back on, just wanted to tidy the frame up before reassembly but don't want to do a new paint job as the original paint isn't bad apart from light scratches etc.

Will wax be OK with the satin finish? I read that some products that work well for polished and gloss surfaces ruin matte and satin finish.
>>
>>1633948
I don't know man
I really wouldn't think so.
post a pic
You could test it on a small patch first if you're worried
>>
>hit by car
>cheap ammaco hybrid with alloy frame
>wheel very buckled, chain snapped, derailleur snapped off and hanger bent
looking at replacing the rear wheel, cassette, chain, rear brake pads, rear cabling, derailleur.. should i just write it off at this point when the front mech is also in bad state?
>>
>>1633948
if you live in a city you might have some autistic car detailing shop you could take it and ask
or just an autoparts store might have an autistic employee with hot takes on it
>>
>>1633957
there's a thread called bike buy general specifically for questions like that.
>>
>>1633954
>spray with clearcoat.
lmao no.
You don't clear old paint
>>
>>1633957
marin or linus
>>
>>1633959
The t-cut will remove the top layer of paint so you should seal it in some way. I didn't read it was a matte finish so my post was wrong anyway.
>>
>>1633955
Write it off, make the cager buy you a nice gravel bike, around $1500 give or take.
>>
Anyone know anything about applying decals to freshly powder coated and 2 pack lacquered frames?

The putting them on part I'm good with, I'm just thinking about applying clear coat over them once they are affixed to protect them and wondering about any impact that may have on the powder coat.
>>
>>1633981
you definitely can clear over powder and it's a good thing to do
you should probably lightly sand very high grit and tack cloth it before though
>>
>>1633985
Thanks for the reply.
What if the powder coater already applied a clear coat? Could I affix decals onto that surface and then add another layer or two for protection? Or would the decals be fine with no extra coating at all?
>>
>>1633990
yes
>>
File: chinese carbon.png (415 KB, 737x604)
415 KB
415 KB PNG
>Make videos crying about how Specialized and Canyon carbon is shit and their bikes are too heavy and garbage
>Make a post saying you now are selling a better frameset made from the same factory and that people should buy it
Is Durianrider retarded or just a subversive shill trying to make money? I've seen him berate big brand road bike frames as well while claiming they are made in the same factory of his pragma road frameset (which he claims is the best).
>>
>>1634045
He's a blatant chinkshit enabler.
You don't want to support slavery, do you?
>>
I want to replace my shitty FSA crankset on my gravel bike. Any good brands out there with 46/30 chainrings and compatible with common road FD?
>>
>>1634053
Most bike brands, even for alloy, use China so I don't have an issue with that. It's just funny to me how he implies there is only one factory in China and that his frames from them are somehow magically better than big brands.

Personally I think custom steel frames fitted perfectly to your measurements is the way to go.
>>
>>1634057
You mean Taiwan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia.
These are definitely not china nor will they be part of it, Chang! Go suck on your own poop!
>>
>>1634045
He is an absolute scammer. He resells frames he buys from AliExpress at a markup and makes you pay with the friends and family option on PayPal so you have no rights as a purchaser. He is fucking mental which should be obvious if you've watched any of his videos. Look here for more information but this is by no means comprehensive https://anthonycolpo.com/consumer-alert-the-latest-rip-off-from-harley-johnstone-a-k-a-durianrider/
>>
>>1634065
I'm pretty sure there are a few brands that use China. A lot use Taiwan. I think Trek, Specialized, and Orbea sometimes source from Chian though unless that's changed since COVID. Didn't Giant switch to Taiwan after the China tariffs too during Trump?
>>
>>1634068
Giant has always been based in Taiwan as far as I know since they are Taiwanese and own their own factories
>>
>>1634054
anyone?
>>
>>1634054
>>1634074
What bottom bracket standard do you have? This affects which cranksets fit
>>
Are oval rings good for gravel riding? I don’t want to explode my knees in the desert
>>
>>1633978
I think with insurance companies when writing off a bike they would ask for a valuation from 2 bike shops *before* the accident. As it was a beater, I'm not sure I will get anything close to that figure.
>>
>>1634093
oval rings are "good" for any discipline (except track) as long as your body agrees with them. some pros swear by them, some hate them. luckily chink ones are cheap so just try it out.
>>
>>1634054
Shimano GRX
>>
What goes on in the mind of a fat Schmuck in his cage when he sees a bike zip past him while he rots away in traffic?
>>
>>1634108
a lot of angry coping, I would imagine.
>>
>>1634115
i bet some homicidal thoughts too.
>>
>>1634116
true. cars drive people insane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIZAs6E3p0A
too accurate
>>
>>1634108
fat schmuck is too busy rubbing his dick to the porn he's watching on his smartphone and does not see the bike
>>
File: Eggbeaters.jpg (47 KB, 450x1048)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
Wanna try out clipless for semi cheap but all Shimano options are over $100 and nearly everything around the $30 - $40 range are random Chinese brands.
Can I get some opinions on Crankbrothers Eggbeaters?

Currently riding some old no name bike with an old Tiagra groupset.
>>
>>1634170
>Wanna try out clipless
but you haven't even tried clips yet
>>
>>1634045
He's trying to sell bikes of course.
It's also well known that he loves to troll people.
>>
>>1633568
In the USA the default width for 500 dollar MTBs was 26" x 1.95" those rode pretty well back in the day. But yeah 1.95 to 2.25 is ideal
>>
>>1634170
Eggbeaters:
++really good at not clogging with mud
+lightweight, simple, 4 sided entry
-no tension adjustment, older pedals from CB had garbage bearings but apparently they're better now?
--tiny surface area means that unless you have relatively stiff shoes power transfer won't be great and with more flexible shoes you'll get discomfort

They're okay pedals, but never my first recommendation unless you live in a wet climate where not having your pedals clog with mud is a top priority.
>>
File: Keywin-Pedal.png (124 KB, 630x320)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
>>1634170
>>1634174
>>1634194
Keywin Chad coming through, don't mind me.
>>
File: crankarm.png (1.51 MB, 1508x704)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB PNG
Can I remove the chainrings from this crank arm?, they seem to be fused together to the crank arm
>>
>>1634201
They're riveted on, so no.
>>
>>1634170
>all Shimano options are over $100
What? M520s should be around $50 (they're around €40 here) and absolutey perfectly adequate, especially if you want to try out clipless
>>
>>1634108
All but the absolute worst traffic jams are still a fuckload faster than riding a bike.
>>
>>1633948
Im with the anon that says spray some macguires quickwax on it and wipe it down with a chamois
>>
>>1634054
Praxis makes the 46t cranks for the allez
>>
>>1634054
why is it shitty?
>>
>>1633594
IRD is slightly more obscure and they make all their shit themselves. I have never seen anyone mention using most of what they sell.
Dia-Compe sells a LOT of strange things under their Ene Ciclo and Grane Compe and other brands
Tririg has a small selection of high end TT/Tri stuff and the site all looks sleek and company-pro but then you dig back in this blog and it's this one autist or something like that with a fetish for centerpulls.
RNC BMX makes a bunch of Florida Man Titanium BMX parts for ridiculous amounts of money.
Cyclingcolors (french) sells a shitload of weird cable colors nobody else offers + a bunch of vintage/fixiefag small parts, pretty sure they don't make any of it themselves though.
Freewheel Spa is the only guy who repairs/customizes freewheels as a service online (and sells some).
Mojofixedgear specs fixie parts in taiwan (not sure if all their stuff is) with a couple unique things and doesn't have much markup on it besides being hawaii-based.
USAMade Chainrings. Self-explanatory
Driveline is a taiwan chainring brand sold on ebay mostly
>>1633620
>>1633629
I once found some guy who made CNC'd laminated wooden handlebars on etsy. From the prices he charged, he was making an absolute killing.
>>1633712
Overdo it and then grind them smooth or design a frame to be strong enough with the welds ground back.
>>1633738
It's bizarre to me that people would cheap out on tubes. Like, what the fuck do you think holds your air in? Even 30 year old airstops will hold air and be in better shape than 30 year old tires.
>>1633937
20" because you can use BMX tires and stupidly huge chainrings to make your folding bike fun.
>>1633948
Satin/matte finish is really shitty for maintenance because the standard "just use some fine polish" doesn't work. Eventually you have to just accept the gloss cock in your bum and realize your bike was never meant to last long enough for the finish to wear out.
>>1634054
Just buy cranks that fit or replace the chainrings.
>>
>>1634204
they seem to be sold out in most places. but he could check local shops or buy/sell forums/reddit. BBB has sub 300 gram SPD pedals but they also seem to be sold out.
>>
I have acute epididymitis, I'm feeling better with antibiotics after 2 weeks but swelling can last up to 2 months. Anyone bike with epididymitis before? should I wait till the swelling is gone?
>>
Without modifying the frame or loading on stupid amounts of weight, what parts can be used to make a narrow-tire-clearance, lugged steel 531 road bike the most aero it can be?
I'm thinking not much - TT Centerpulls, clipon aero bars. I don't know of any 1" threaded aero headsets that aren't long out of stock or 250+$, and a seatpost in the right size is almost certainly out of the question. Aero rims being an utter meme disqualifies them too. Anything else?
>>
>>1634301
aero rims aren't a meme. Aside from body position, Aero wheels are the biggest difference you could make BY FAR. Infact the only valid one.
>>
File: rim_araya_aero_l.jpg (123 KB, 950x633)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>1634301
some (semi-)aero rims can work with the steel bike aesthetic. 30-50mm is a good depth, pros don't use the really deep ones much.
>>
>>1634303
>>1634306
I've seen enough people testing and bitching to know that aero wheels are a meme. I also live in a really windy area so crosswinds would fuck me up - rows of hills. So I go up massive climbs and down equally big descents, and go along rolling relative-flats across the tops and in the valleys between ridges. I figured that adding aero without compromising weight would be a good option. Plus I think fitting the modern-aero parts to this specific bike would be cooler than "make it look like it's from 40-50 years ago"
>>
>>1634311
sounds like cope, what are your current wheels? with 30-50mm rims the crosswinds won't be too bad. you can save some weight in the hubs, spokes, rim tape, inner tube, tires, skewers to make up for the rim weight difference. with e.g. dt rr 511 rims you would gain stiffness and you would only need 20/24 spokes so that's some weight saved there compared to 32/32 spokes.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/how-do-you-choose-the-perfect-rim-depth-for-you-447785
>>
>>1634311
you can find people to bitch about anything to confirm whatever you want to think.
>>
>>1634315
Sachs-Malliard QR hubs with black anodized 13mm ID Rigida rims.
>>
File: Alf Engers aero brake.jpg (18 KB, 450x180)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>1634301
put the brake levers behind the handle bar
>>
>>1634256
>Dia compe
Man, they made some really cool old cranks and brakes etc for BMX back in the day and they cost a mint. Love the gran coupe NJS hubs, they'd be good for a customer track wheel build.
You're 100% right about tubes: of all the things to spend money on you could buy a 26" beater and fit supple lightweight slicks and some latex tubes to completely transform the road handling and gain some free speed for little money.
>>1634270
Get cleared by a doctor bro, jeez. Being stubborn and trying to ride when you have swelling is going to probably traumatize you further.
>>1634301
Best value speed boost would be narrow bars and flipping/lowering your stem.
Rim depth is seen as less important these days as width relative to the tyre: width should be the same or wider than the tyre and somewhat aerofoil shaped.
I much prefer very narrow section, light rims as they accelerate very quickly.
In short, anything that reduces your frontal area is going to give you the most benefit.
Don't overlook cheap/free aero boosts, eg:
>Cut excess helmet strap and sew it down
>Shave arms/legs
>Get rid of wrinkles in clothes
>Shoe covers
>Glasses arms over straps
>Clean and relube drivetrain
>>
>>1634092
How can I identify my BB?
>>
>>1634252
It is heavy and weak, it started to wobble just after 200km
>>1634104
GRX is no go, it needs its own FD due to the extra width which basically means groupset change. I will go that way eventually but not now.
>>
>>1634342
>it started to wobble
what like loose on the taper?
you didn't retorque it a few times?
>>
>>1634363
>loose on the taper
No, it is sitting quite solid on the axle. It goes side to side in the FD making chain rubbing noises when I pedal. Chainring is planar, so no deformation
>>
>hambini fixed bottom brackets
>peak torque is fixing dick brakes
How long until we can make a complete bike designed top to bottom by youtube engineers?
>>
>>1634370
yikes what the fuck? Surely just sprinting
>>
>>1634370
Loose BB bearing cup??
>>
>>1634363
>>1634370
yeah it's fucked, get a new cartridge.
>>
File: 1522420806036.jpg (180 KB, 620x933)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
I know nothing about bike manufacturers and such and I'd like to get something for college because I won't have a car. What is the think pad of 2 wheels
>>
>>1634484
90's rigid mtb with slicks
>>
Why did it take until the late 80s/early 90s for bike manufacturers to switch from lugged to welded frames for anything but bottom of the barrel shit?

>>1634487
The best /n/ meme
>>
>>1634487
this, with drop bar, front and rear racks and milk crate in front
>>
what bike and equipment do i need to tour across canada? at least maritime-ontario, possibly further
$2000 budget
i already have some basic ultralight camping gear
>>
>>1634494
Welding technology hasn’t been mature for very long, I’m sure the hundreds of years of bike development leading up to the 70’s had brazing tech more economical/reliable/consistent than welding very thin bicycle tubes
>>
>>1634499
Plus with brazing you get to use lugs, which really really simplifies a lot of stuff when assembling a frame, welding a frame straight and at correct geometry without any movement takes a serious jig, brazing tubes into premade lugs can be done much more easily and low-risk
>>
File: 20210403_122019.jpg (3.11 MB, 2075x3289)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
What did he mean by this
>>
>>1634332
>narrow bars and flipping/lowering your stem
I need to replace the bars eventually since I will be replacing the stem, but bar width is more related to bone structure for a good fit. I'm not going full slowtwitch, I just want to eke that little bit out where I can.
>width should be the same or wider than the tyre and somewhat aerofoil shaped.
Picrel is a photo I found of the same model I have on my wheels - mine are nicer condition. They have about 19.5mm OD and the tires mounted are true-to-size 25mm. I'm not sure if the crappy road conditions would be worth swapping to 23mm. I think these had 20mm tires stock on them, and 20mm is mostly dead now. I can only find them in ultra-shit skinwall and ultra-fast non-durable for TT use, nothing in the middle.
>>1634494
>>1634499
>>1634502
Schwinn "electro-forged" - AKA flash-welded. The frame parts were rolled or made of matching half-stampings, not tubes. I have a murray that I suspect is also partly flash-welded from how the BB, TT and HT are constructed. Lower-end frames from Schwinn, Murray, Huffy, AMF etc were welded up the normal way which needed thicker tubes to not ruin the heat treatment. Flash-welding was also gaspip-y. Euro tubing companies like reynolds, columbus, and even peugeot's in-house tubing manufacture were way lighter than what US gaspipe builders were tooled up to make at the same prices. Tange and Ishiwata from JP put the nail in the coffin.
The alternative to welding or lugs was to fillet-braze (60s-70s schwinn) or internally braze (80s raleigh/peugeot), both on mid-range bikes. + other weirdness like epoxy bond (some raleighs and early lugged alu/lugged carbon.)

Tangent: I suspect electro-forging with current steels could allow for aero/monocoque shapes like carbon, and it'd be recyclable. But massive forging/stamping dies aren't cheap, even if running them might be, and I have no idea what industries still use this technique to where you could source prototypes.
>>
>>1634484
Specialized allez rim brake
>>
File: 20210406_204019.jpg (3.24 MB, 4032x3024)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB JPG
hi I'm a retard newbie and I need some advice, please put up with me

Just got my first bike, it's a Giant Talon in XL size. the size chart says it's for 183-193 cm people, I'm 192. Maybe I should have gone for XXL but that's another story

Anyway, after setting up my seat height (heel-toe) method, that part seems fine, but now my handlebars are below my seat height

After a ~1h ride on mostly flat terrain, I felt pain in my wrists, the need to stand up, and after that some lower back pain

To me this seems that I'm leaning forward too much, so I tried to raise my handlebars, but it seems it won't be that simple, as it seems they're already at max height.

There's a couple of spacers already preinstalled, and it looks like more won't fit (the nut on top is too short then)

Is getting a new stem with a more aggresive angle the only solution?
>>
>>1634537
Since you just got it your LBS should fit it to you, go there.
But in case you can't (IE corona restrictions): The likely adjustment is your saddle fore-aft and/or tilt and/or saddle that's the wrong width. Do you feel yourself sliding forwards or hanging your ass off the back? Does the nose jam your balls or taint? Can you actually sit and pedal or are you pushing yourself back into the saddle and slipping in the dead zone of the pedal strokes? Are you feeling like you have to 'pull' yourself forwards with your feet?
>>
What can y'all tell me about Peugeot's Carbolite tubing? Any good?
>>
>>1634543
Well I don't really notice any of those things, but I DID move the saddle all the way BACK before the ride, which may be a part of the issue.

Now I put it a little further front, but sitting on the bike statically still feels there's a bunch of pressure in my wrists. I don't know if I should maybe lower the seat a centimeter or two
>>
>>1634558
Stop leaning on your hands and use your abdomen muscles to support your torso.
>>
>>1634537
post a proper picture of your bike, from the side
>>
>>1634552
Carbolite is low end, cheapest you'd find in an 80s bike shop. Hi-ten but like, the best of the euro 80s hi-ten from what I've read. Peugeot's HLE Mangalloy is above that but still lower than Reynolds 501 to my understanding.
>>
File: mong oose.png (1.44 MB, 1154x676)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
>>1634487
This is unironically the best option right now, especially if you're in the UK, some absolute bargains out there atm. Bought this for £80, check out them shifters, there's £100+ worth of components alone, once I've cleaned everything up and serviced all the moving parts, replaced what need replacing it'll be a right bobby dazzler. That frame's one of the last of the good DB's by the way, a proper find. I'll slap some 26x2.0 slicks on it and it'll be perfect for college runs
>>
>>1634607
>some absolute bargains out there atm
yeah nah, exactly the opposite. the used bike "market" is absolute dogshit at the moment.
you'll get the occasional person who doesn't know what they have and/or is a richfag trying to clear the clutter, but mostly it's just people price gouging with rusty 90s/00s shit. "refurbished" meaning they put fresh handlebar grips on and checked the tyres hold air.
>>
>>1634625
yeah idk what >>1634607 is going on about, im trying to get a somewhat decent cheap bike exactly as he describes and for £80 i can only find shit that needs multiple new components or is junk
ive been looking for a few months, its true shit does pop up but sadly for bike buying im not a manlet so an 18 frame doesnt really cut it
>>
>>1634626
There's an element of luck involved, for a start look for bikes that have a title like 'Retro mountain bike' with no brand, there are pages and pages of them, that's where the Mongoose was, 'retro' 'old but good condition' 'still looks like new' etc with no mention of the make iss how plebs who are in the shit for money and are panic selling whatever they have in their garages and spare rooms describe old bike.

There are always bargains but you have to put the legwork in, strike fast, of course know what it is you are looking for.

aNything with XT of DX ois going to be well worth £100-£200 if it's described as good working order, you can easily sell those kinds of components for a profit in the current market.

There are a lot of people out there right now who are selling bikes they know nothing about, find them and exploit their stupidity.
>>
Currently at £152.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303942918996?ul_noapp=true

Worth a bid? Looks completely original and in remarkably good condition for a 30 year old bike.
>>
>>1634637
what the hell, that's the bike some anon has been posting as his these past days
>>
>>1634637
>>1634649
This
>>1632926
>>
File: 1597155388019.png (758 KB, 840x473)
758 KB
758 KB PNG
moving rural soon (in australia)
shall be getting a bike to ride rail trails and country roads (pic related + some leaves and branches will be about as bad as it ever gets)
reckon i can get away with a road bike instead of a 'gravel' bike, and what kind of road bike/frame/compinents should i be looking for if comfort and easy riding is my goal over speed and power?
>>
Is taking a torch to get a stripped bolt out of the frame work
>>
>>1634686
grip it with pliers, or cut a slot in the head with a hacksaw or a chisel for a big flat blade screwdriver
>>
>>1634671
yes you can ride 25s on that. But 35s would be ideal for comfort.
so you just want as much clearance as possible
>>
>>1634496
https://www.cannondale.com/en-ca/bikes/road/gravel/topstone-alloy/topstone-1
>>
>>1634698
>2,800 CAD
>no fork bosses
useless
>>
>>1634700
>fork bosses
nicememe
>>
>>1634701
have you ever toured before?
I broke my front rack touring once and road a while with rear only and some shit strapped on my bars

it sucks ass

even those bikepacking cages on the forks make a big difference in stability. It's gotta be that or lowriders. I could understand making do if he already had a topstone, but buying one specifically for touring? And you can't even clamp shit to a carbon fork.
>>
>>1634702
>I broke my front rack
not the bike's fault, just get a good rack
>>
>>1634703
why did you say that
>>
>>1634706
fork bosses are a niche within a niche. you would have been fine if your rack didn't break.
>>
>>1634707
it wouldn't have had the oppurtunity to break if i didn't have fork bosses because i couldn't have attached it
>>
>>1634708
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dg8z3P5ZCY
>>
>>1634716
It is not a good idea to strap/clamp things to a carbon fork.
and it's really suboptimal anyway considering a lot of bicycles within that niche have fork bosses for that purpose.
>>
>>1634717
you don't need a hobo tranny bike to tour with ultralight camping gear ffs. you said yourself your rack broke because you loaded it with your overweight neckbeard gear.
>>
>>1634718
i mentioned my rack breaking simply to make the point that touring without front loading sucks. Whether he should or shouldn't get an actual touring bike is completely open. I think touring on sportier gravel bikes makes sense. However, even if he has 'ultralight gear' doesn't necesserily mean he wants to tour with a fully ultralight setup. He might even want to spend several days camping away from shops which could require possibly even water weight for that time and certainly food. Or some people simply don't succesfully get their head around or even want to have a ruthlessly minimalist loadout. A real touring bike quickly begins to make sense if you're not commited to not carrying a paperback or pants or shoes or a camera etc.

If he did go the sport-touring-esque route, specialized diverge, giant revolt and trek checkpoint all spec with fork bosses. Same niche. They aren't touring bikes. They aren't steel. They're the same thing as a topstone, just better equipped for touring.
>>
>>1634496
So anon as we're kind of autistically bickering about.
You should decide if you want a faster lighter allum/carbon gravel bike with STI shifters (sport touring setup), that you run with a bikepacking setup, or partial bikepacking setup (ie, only 1 pair of panniers, front or rear, and either oversized saddlebag, or oversized fork cages) or a steel touring bike with wider gearing and more storage with 4 panniers.

It's basically the difference between
'what can i pare this setup down to that is absolutely vital and nothing else'
and
'this might be useful' or 'i want this'

and if it's in colder weather, it becomes a lot harder to have a minimalist setup, although not impossible.
You can also overload a sport touring (gravel) bike with 4 panniers, or go minimalist bikepacking-esque on a loaded tourer, although those make less sense imo.

You could also choose not to overthink it, and just go with whatever and make it work. That's always a sensible option with bicycles.
>>
>>1634496
and if you decide sport-touring route it's a gravel bike. Try and stretch your budget to GRX with a good deal, although road groups are ok, sora etc, especially if they have a subcompact crank. Make sure it has fork bosses.

If loaded tourer, 3x9 or 3x10 group, chromoly frame. Bar end shifters. Preferably rim brake.

It's kinda pointless to recommend models seeing as bike shortage but if you find options you can post em for hot takes.
>>
>>1634718
>hobo tranny bike
you don't need a touring bike with front panniers to be a hobo tranny
>>
File: Capture.png (1.03 MB, 867x561)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
would you put protective tape just on the lower section of the downtube or along the full length of the downtube? like if you ride on asphalt where the property owners have left tons of crushed stone for liability reasons because it's supposed to help traction during the winter. would the stone chips not fling that high even if you ride at high/low speeds and brake hard and on wet/dry roads (like if the pebbles would stick to the tires) or would the stone chips also go higher up on the downtube and the fork crown like the mud and sand does?
>>
File: 20210407_083018.jpg (3.36 MB, 4032x3024)
3.36 MB
3.36 MB JPG
>>1634570
Right ok so here's an image

Are my handlebars too low, is this recoverable?
>>
>>1634767
>would you put protective tape
no
>>
>>1634774
damage seems inevitable just that you can cope with it being just a cosmetic issue if it's not carbon. you fuckers don't seem to realize though that where i live the roads are constantly wet, dirty and littered with crushed stone of varying particle size from sand to gravel during the winter. just from one ride the bike is absolutely filthy all over the down tube, fork crown and seat tube.
>>
>>1634777
maybe get full fenders
>>
https://www.quora.com/Road-Cycling-Is-it-common-to-get-scratches-from-stones-on-a-carbon-bike-behind-the-wheel
>I have a brand-new Trek Emonda, my high-tech carbon fiber broomstick that helps me cruise at 35–40 Kph easily. Even on the shitty bridge roads with gravel and shrapnel falling off cars people neglect, almost as perfectly shiny and smooth on the downtube lower side as when purchased. I'm working on 3rd set of tires this season at 4000Km change interval. Unless you're riding in constant gravel, sand or road shrapnel, that quality paint job ought to hold up pretty damn well against the road/trail assault.

so maybe i could let my bike go "naked", just polish and wax it to make it look better and make it more slippery and hydrophobic, and trust that the clearcoat is strong enough so that stone chips won't go all the way through it.

the tape would be pretty much invisible and not add a lot of grams though. this guy got a "couple of tiny , maybe 3mm dia and 0.5mm deep stone chips around bb area" on his "first wee ride":

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stone-chips-in-carbon-road-frame/
>>
>>1634649
I'm that anon, selling it.
>>
File: 1595990893161.png (134 KB, 334x393)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
>>1632926
>>1634794
"all the bike I ever needed or will need" - (You), 2 days after putting it on ebay
>>
File: really bruh.jpg (64 KB, 574x485)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>1634794
>completely original
>dry rotted tires
lmao you don't even ride it
>>
>>1634795
marketing anon
>>
>>1634799
it's clearly bullshit though lol
>>
>>1634799
Except you didn't link the auction or even say you were selling it.
>>
>>1634803
samefag? >>1634637
>>
>Reserve not met
lol fag
>>
>>1634794
Faggot.
>>
>>1634769
Presuming you're the anon from the other thread, you're probably just not used to riding a bike. From memory that's about how my hardtail is setup but i also ride road bikes. I think when i got mine the shop put a shorter stem on however so that could be something you could do. Unless you have some very strange body dimensions it should be good.
>>
File: 123439342.jpg (266 KB, 1200x911)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
what is this frame geometry called, and what are the benefits?
>>
>>1634909
a meme frame
the beniefit is it looks silly and you can use a belt drive
>>
I have a bike lying around on my home that needs new tubes and brake cables
If I cannot find Continental tubes, what other brands are good? I intend to occasionally carry an extra person on the rear wheel (I already have the pegs, I just need to attach them)
>>
>>1634769
good bike posture is not what you would normally think of as good posture
you can also ride out of the saddle sometimes, especially when you're riding over bumps you can lift your ass
>>
File: PXL_20210407_153636497(1).jpg (2.77 MB, 2722x2042)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB JPG
>>1633482
>attending university where it rains a lot
>need to carry a T60 thinkpad, legal notepad to and from school
>picked up a diamondback beltline 700c to commute
What bags do you guys use to hold your EDC so they don't get wet?
pic related is my current quick fix sans waterproof garbage bag cover
>>
>>1634921
cheap drybags work preddy gud
just get one of those
>>
>>1634909
The geometry is called A E S T H E T I C
>>
>>1634767
No reason not to use heli tape or 3M film to protect your shit against rocks, chainslap, and cable rub. Just be careful with how you apply it so that you don't get air bubbles underneath, fingerprints, etc. And if you need to remove it because it gets cruddy, use a hairdryer.
>>
>>1634914
If you are carrying an extra person on rear wheel get torn resistant tubes. They are thicker walled and will be more stiff with the added weight so you tires won’t smush so much
>>
>>1634769
It's a mountain bike not grandma's hybrid you goon. That position if anything isn't aggressive enough.

>>1634734
>tfw no flannel wearing tomboy gravel bike gf
>>
>>1634855
>>1634916
>>1634938
Well alright, I guess I'll just keep making microadjustments in my saddle till it feels right

I'll also try using my abdomen muscles whatever that means to take the load off my wrists

I'm still worried about my lower back though, it don't feel right
>>
>>1634972
It means don't lock out your elbows and don't lean on your hands. Stand up and lean forward a bit at the waist. Now tighten up your abs. Notice how that takes some of the pressure off of your back? Maybe do some planks and pushups if your core is weak.
>>
>>1634994
Good info thanks, I'll give it a try. My core is definitely weak as fuck
>>
File: Titelloses 8.jpg (1 MB, 1200x900)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
sooo i bought this nice bike made from the finest italian water pipe for €500
now i dont know what next, im thinking to restore it fully with new paint, new decals etc
or should i leave it like that and just put some adequate wheels on it?
>>
>>1634909
>>1634910
>>1634931
Elevated chainstay or "E-Stay" was an early 90s pre-full suspension idea.
Benefits included no need to break a chain to remove it, deleting chainsuck as a problem, no damage to the frame from chain wrap, no clearance limits on chainring size, crank length, q factor, and tire size.
The downside was that it made the back end and BB flexy.
Nowadays you can use one for the easy chain removal or belt drive purposes like the other anon said.
>>1634914
Michelin. Vittoria is also ok. If the tube says made in thailand it's usually alright as that's where a lot of rubber production is.
>>1634921
Maybe a messenger bag?
>>1634938
>implying these fat fucks count as tomboys
>>1635013
It looks like something someone bought but never rode and then put new wheels on to sell. You still drastically overpaid.
First thing is check your local laws in case you legally need to use reflectors, since there aint none on there. And get lights if you ever might be out at night.
The wheels look fine.
The brakes do not at all (are they stamped steel?). Put some nice centerpulls on (or at minimum some better campy sidepulls) with kool stop pads.
Check the headset, cranks, pedals and wheel hubs for play.
Rotate the bars forwards a little so the lower part is level. Maybe aero levers and re-wrap the bars while you're at it with the brakes.
The chain is filthy because black chains are incredibly uncommon too, so you may need to replace that and inspect the chainrings for wear.
The shifting looks like friction which is fine but you don't have a rear derailleur hanger integrated into the frame, so if you want to change it you need what's called an "adaptor claw" that attaches to the dropout.
If the pedals spin fine get some toe clips for them if you want extra dick speed.
>>
>>1635025
its a bianchi rekord 746 from the 70s in celeste, technically a piece of shit but has some real collecters value as far as i know
>>
>>1634932
i'm thinking of just doing part of the downtube closer to the bottom bracket area though like the black thing in pic related rather than the full length. the high energy impacts would be at a high speed and you would run into the stone with the lower part of the downtube before the stone has time to reach higher into the air. unless the tire can hold on to the stone and release it higher up which seems unlikely with road slicks.
>>
File: 20210407_154614~01.jpg (1.76 MB, 3024x3677)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
Will I damage my aluminum rim if I use the handle of a stainless steel spoon as a tire lever? Pic related. Bike shop is a bit far and I'd like to ride as soon as possible. Any other tire lever alternatives? I'll get actual tire levers, but I'd like to ride. Should have got them when I got my replacement tube, but I forgot. Never needed tire levers with larger mountain bike tires. This is a 25c Continental Ultra Sport.
>>
>>1635041
Push the bead off of the rim into the center channel on both sides. This might be enough that you won't have to use any tool at all.
>>
>>1635029
My >>1635025 bad, now that I look at it again and compare it to better pics of the same model, it DOES have a derailleur hanger as part of the frame and the brakes look fine save for the square shitty padd. Bianchi did slap their name on some really awful low-end bikes too so I took your word for it being terrible.
Mainly because I can't read any of the smaller text in the photo beyond "Bianchi." Please take better photos of your bike next time.
>>
>>1635041
>Will I damage my aluminum rim if I use the handle of a stainless steel spoon as a tire lever?
The question you should ask yourself is: Will you be fucked if it does?

Try to find a suitable piece of plastic or wood if >>1635046 doesn't work.
>>
>>1634921
Remember when thinkpads were actually a good meme
>>
I built a light, fast bike because my beater isn't really fun to ride for over 10 miles out. But it's so fast I'm concerned about what happens in a fuckup.
What are things I can keep in mind and check over to maintain confidence?
>>
>>1635046
>>1635054
Thank you for the advice. I just went to the local dollar store and picked up a couple of cheap plastic tire levers. Broke one, but managed to replace the tube. Once again thanks for the replies. I really appreciate them.
>>
How much torque should I apply to a seatpost clamp on a carbon frame? The seatpost is aluminium, the frame is carbon.
>>
>>1635070
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/torque-specifications-and-concepts
>>
>>1635063
Stay alert, look far forward, anticipate cagers.
>>
>>1635041
just buy a plastic tire lever. they're cheap as fuck. or buy a tire patch kit that comes with a few.
>>
>>1635083
I already am pretty fine with general road awareness. It's more "daring" bike handling I'm unsure of. I was a sheltered, stupid child who repeatedly banged up his knees instead of learning to fall correctly.
The last 3 crashes I have been in were entirely my own stupid fault.
>>
Which clip pedals for commuting/casual (riding to downtown with wife whatever)?
I have some SPDs but I'd like to know if I'm missing another type.
>>
>>1635099
What is a "wife whatever"?
>>
>>1635071
>Seat posts require only minimal tightening to not slip downward. Avoid over tightening.
So what, like 4Nm?
>>
File: 51inWZvHfvL.jpg (41 KB, 500x384)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>1635099
Toe clips, straps, or Shimano PD-EH500 can be used with casual shoes if that's what your asking. There are also a few offerings from the "Funn" brand, pic related Funn Mamba pedals.
>>
>>1635097
Learn to brake hard and not flip over, you have to lift your ass and hold it behind the saddle, do it so many times over a week that it becomes reflex
I've flipped over my bars from panic braking before
>>
File: stem.png (280 KB, 554x281)
280 KB
280 KB PNG
help me understand stems.

i have an old orange mtb, the stem looks like pic related (left), but I want to use the stem on the right, what do I need to do to make the new stem able to replace the old?
>>
LBS niggers lost the little cable end dust cap thingee from my 105 front derailleur and I didn't notice for like a month so it seems retarded to go complain now. I know it's shimano part Y5ZS22000 but where the fuck do I buy it?
>>
>>1635063
>it's so fast I'm concerned about what happens in a fuckup
FYI if you pedal slower you won't go as fast.
>>
>>1635145
You need a quil to threadless stem adapter. Available online on such sites as Ali, Ebay, and Amazon.
>>
File: 1596390652239.jpg (138 KB, 638x480)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>1635145
Moustache Man just did a video on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey_kiNivXGM
>>
>>1635149
Quick google search got me: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32948324599.html
Browse around multiple sites to find the cheapest available option.
>>
>>1635145
But why do you want to fuck around with stems when you know nothing about them?
>>
>>1635154
>aliexpress for a $5 shimano part
>aliexpress for anything
no
>>
>>1635157
It was the first link that popped up. I never said it was the cheapest option.
>>
File: a.png (340 KB, 1224x665)
340 KB
340 KB PNG
>>1635158
I already know how to use google.

Every option is either out of stock or from some third world shithole that will take a month to get here.
>>
>>1635159
What's wrong with a little wait? It's not like it's a vital part.
>>
>>1635159
Then order it and wait or wait until it's in stock where you live. Either way, wait. Or steal it from someone else's bike or a bike on display at a shop.
>>
>>1635107
Yeah that's probably fine. If you can twist the post in the frame after that, or it even slips down, try some carbon paste.
>>
>>1635151
My goal is to go faster so I can take day-trips.
>>1635117
Thanks.
>>1635159
Ask your LBS since they have access to dealer parts catalogues and channels that you don't
>>
>>1635204
>>1635159
US shop mechanic here. Shimano is out and is estimating late June/early July. QBP is estimating May 10th.
>>
File: 1600536464141.jpg (9 KB, 223x322)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>1635214
>>
File: 2021 lead times.jpg (53 KB, 959x538)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>1635216
>why
Because wealthy first worlders have been doing a lot more shopping for entertainment for about a year now and Asia can't keep up with making and shipping us our toys.

If you think the supply situation is going to improve before 2022 comes you're likely to be disappointed.
>>
Should I even bother trying to restore a rusty old steel frame that is lying on my backyard? It's been there for about a year or so, and it's obviously rusted as fuck
>>
>>1635223
Post picture(s) please.
>>
What are the best sort of shoes for non clipless pedals?
>>
>>1635226
I use my old skate shoes. Basically anything with a soft rubber outsole will be ideal for flat pedals. If your flat pedals have pins they will grip the outsoles of your shoes and eventually where them down overtime so best not to use anything you want to keep around. Occasional rides on pinned pedals will do little harm of course.
>>
>>1635226
>>1635231
imho harder soles are better. shit like boat shoes put down power without the mush
>>
File: shoeanatomy .jpg (976 KB, 2814x1836)
976 KB
976 KB JPG
>>1635232
Flat pedal shoes should be both hard and stiff enough to achieve good power transfer, and also have a soft enough outsole surface for the pins to effectively grip on to. This can be achieved with a soft outsole material, and a stiff and ridgid insole material. Your feet should feel locked in with no slip. Your shoes should only disengage from the pedals when you want them to, or if you fall off the bike.
>>
>>1635226
chrome brand bike sneakers. they have a stiff sole for support but don't suck to walk around in.
>>
Guys what is the ideal tire size for a biek for a teenager, my cousin needs one but he's 14 so It's expected to grow sometime soon. Would you say a 27.5 maybe? He's like 5'3" i think. Of course a visit to the bike store should suffice but what do you guys think
>>
File: 20210407_225915.jpg (619 KB, 2268x4032)
619 KB
619 KB JPG
Hi there. Since my bike has become a mockery what would you do with it? Replace the stem and handles?
>>
File: 1601176239715.png (328 KB, 700x740)
328 KB
328 KB PNG
>>1635243
What the fuck is with the length of that steerer.
>>
>>1635240
700c if road, 650b or 26" if mountain. Any of these options if hybrid. My younger brother rides a 29er hardtail mountain bike without any problems. He's 14 and about 5'3". Honestly at that height wheel size doesn't really matter so long as the actual frame fits properly.
>>
>>1635145
you probably shouldn't change a single part in that bike until you learn more about bikes desu. Orange is a special company and the bike shouldn't be altered unless you know what you're doing imho
>>
>>1635246
I GOT THE BIKE LIKE THIS AS A GIFT STOP MAKING FUN OF ME. I DIDNT BOTHER CHANGING IT BECAUSE IT GETS ME FROM POINT A TO POINT B JUST FINE.
>>
>>1635251
Are you riding this bike like a granny style?
>>
>>1635243
Install one of these, lol.
>>
>>1635226
2 schools of thought
thin soled grippy shoes are the best
legit classic fieyues off aliexpress have EXTREMELY good grip and are very good in general (cheap option)
so do onitsuka tigers (expensive option)

That type of shoe gives best control and is best for short rides. Eventually though, they develop hotspots, and aggressive pedals will wear holes in them. Then:

mtb shoes with reinforced stiff soles. like Five Ten Freerider.

But I genuinely much prefer the grippy thin light shoes until I don't.
>>
>>1635251
very good work with the wojak. I think you're gonna make it, eventually
>>
>>1635243
you've got a lot of adjustability there. Tune it to exactly where you want the bars, then buy a solid stem to match that length (you can modify the effective stem length with the angle adjustment and height) and cut the fork (just need a hacksaw.
>>
>>1635063
wear a helmet
learn racing lines and corner smoothly
learn to countersteer (push the right side of the bar to turn right) to steer effectively at high speeds and dodge obstacles
learn to trail brake (ease off the brakes the more you lean into a turn)
learn to bunnyhop
have grippy tires like gp 5000 or gp 4 season
have well-adjusted high quality brakes/pads and know how to use them
>>
>>1635243
cut the steerer tube so that you have at most 30mm of spacers. you can keep the stem if you don't mind how much it weighs. adjust the stem so it's horizontal-ish.
>>
File: 20210408_020141.jpg (597 KB, 2268x4032)
597 KB
597 KB JPG
>>1635268
>>1635252
I figure this looks a little better for now?
>>
>>1634170
I love eggbeaters.
To add to anon's list:
>>1634194
+++ cleats are REALLY durable-- they're solid metal with no moving parts. You can walk in the shoes a ton and not worry about little springs or anything getting fucked up.
+ because the pedals are 4 sided you can pretty much always just stomp in. You can provide power right away which makes clipping in at stoplights less stressful
+ they are probably the best pedals for mud, sand, small rocks, grass, etc.
>>
are tektro brakes as utter dogshit as they used to be? swore off them a while ago but i've found a gravel bike i like and the only 'issue' i have with it is the tektro brakes (MD-C500 Dual Piston to be exact), but given this is just for light gravel i assume i can be less picky than with my mtbs?
>>
>>1634496
I did the great divide mountain bike route (singletrack, gravel, road) on a salsa fargo sus 9x with bikepacking gear (mainly revelate). It was ideal for the singletrack/gravel parts and surprisingly excellent on roads too. The only thing I changed from the stock bike was adding a brooks saddle and lowering the gear ratio (because me+bike+camping crap+11,000 ft elevation = needing the granniest of gears). The fargo's 29er wheels, front suspension, and tires make everything quite comfy. I like the bike so much I often ride it instead of my road bikes for <60 mile rides.

I did the transamerica (road and some gravel) on an old cross bike, outfitted for touring with brooks saddle and ortlieb rear panniers and a custom bag on the rack, and a handlebar ortlieb bag. This was a great setup-- my gear stayed dry and the bike was good on gravel and road.
>>
>>1635152
>>1635153
Cheers lads
>>1635155
The stem I have is too long, I want to replace it with a shorter one that can allow me to adjust it, also the one I bought is an orange stem.
>>1635249
Agreed, which is why I came here to learn more about it.
>>
File: fixd.jpg (659 KB, 2268x4032)
659 KB
659 KB JPG
>>1635295
Fixed it for you, this will stop the incessant ridicule anon.
>>
File: dak.jpg (86 KB, 384x512)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
M8s,
I want to convert my road disc brakes (160mm) from shimano spline type to a 6 bolt spider type.
Can I buy a spider that converts to 6 bolt somewhere, preferably a good one?
>>
My single speed freewheel seems to be loose and makes a clink/clonk sound as you pedal it. There is a bit of vertical play and it's probably what is causing the noise. Is the component fucked or is there some tightening issue or even user related issue I'm missing? The issue has happened since I got the bike and the freewheel is otherwise new/unused.
>>
>>1635333
>this will stop the incessant ridicule
It still has the retarded butterfly bar
>>
>>1635342
there's only so much that can be done with my severely limited ms paint skill set anon, at least i got the bars down from the sky
>>
>>1635326
You can adjust stems. You can move them up and down. 'Adjustable' stems are retarded. It makes them weaker and it's a place to creak
>>
>>1635341
are you sure it's the freewheel and not the hub what's moving around? remove the wheel, grab it by the axle, and see if it moves independently from the rest of the wheel. if it does, just gotta tighten the cones. if it doesn't, and it's the freewheel itself having play, just replace it. they're dirt cheap.
>>
>>1635372
It isn't the hub, I flipped it and have been using the fixed gear side. I'll just have to deal with CLONK CLONK until new freewheel arrives then.
>>
>>1635378
no bike shops open around you? pretty much all of them should carry a SS freewheel
>>
I have some kind of internal braking system, but lately it's taking me forever to stop. What do?
>>
>>1635386
post pics of said braking system so we can actually help you.
>>
File: IMG_20210408_213103.jpg (1.23 MB, 1840x3264)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>1635387
It's this
>>
>>1635388
>internal braking system

That's just a mechanical disc. Probably a promax.

Take it to a mechanic and get it checked out. You don't know enough to mess with brakes.
>>
>>1635317
hydraulic disc is nicer if you can afford it
>>
>>1635388
Your pads are likely worn or the cable has slipped.
Do what the other anon said and take it to a LBS, it's likely a cheap fix if it's adjustment or new pads.
>>
File: IMG_20210408_072344.png (2.25 MB, 1580x926)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB PNG
>>1635224
Sorry for the delay, I was late for work and I rushed my post a bit
I meant to say that it's been sitting on the yard for like 10 years or so, the front fork seems absolutely fubar and it will probably vaporize the moment I try to move it
>>
>>1635398
the barend shifters and brake levers might clean up ok
i'd scavenge them
the crank too if the chainrings are bolted together, not riveted
the rest, junk
>>
>>1635398
Nah, it's 100% junk anon.
There are plenty of MTB frames at co ops and sometimes online if you're keen on doing a build, but buying a half decent old rigid that doesn't need much work is always the best route for this kind of thing.
>>
>>1634698
>>1634726
>>1635320
thanks for the helpful feedback frens i will take this all into consideration when i shop around
i'm not a very experienced cyclist i've only ever done like a 40mile day on a $45 pawn shop mountain bike so this will probably be a shit show but.. i don't have anywhere to be
>>
>>1635317
Tektro is meh to bad, while TRP is now very good. There's been some trickle down but I would avoid the MD-C500/Lyra brakes, which are an old and shitty design. Upgrading it to TRP Spyres would be a massive improvement.
>>
>>1635398
Did ... did omebody weld the (now broken) water bottle cage to the top?!
>>
>>1635494
But... I thought TRP *is* Tektro.
>>
>>1635504
tektro is their cheap normie brand made in china probably
TRP is their high end racing brand made in taiwan
>>
>>1635516
Isn't taiwan china?
>>
Would I be able to change over all my components from my wrecked Tarmac to a Cinelli Zydeco? Links to both bikes below. Main thing I'm worried about is the bottom bracket/crankset. On the specialized website it just says "Shimano threaded" but the Zydeco is a FSA/BSA 68mm. I'm still new to everything so not sure what's compatible with what

Tarmac:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-tarmac-disc-sport/p/154556?color=227229-154556&searchText=90619-6254

Zydeco:
https://www.cinelli-usa.com/zydeco-frameset-chasing-after-rainbows/
>>
>>1635561
China says Taiwan is China, Taiwan says Taiwan is not China
Most of the western world believes Taiwan is not China
I think it’s kinda like a Tibet situation, except unlike Tibet, Taiwan has money so they can do whatever they want
>>
>>1635561
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan
>>
>>1635561
>>1635570
Taiwan (officially the Republic of China) is the actual china.
>>
>>1635588
Then what the fuck is China?
>>
File: 1479437122183.jpg (26 KB, 500x326)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>looking for parts for a 07 820 because my derailer exploded
>wtf why do these look different than mine
>find out it's a women's design
I was a preteen, so I guess it's a better than being stuck with a youth model I guess.
>>
>>1635405
>>1635432
Oh, well, thanks for the advice, maybe I'll start lurking local bike groups and hopefully I'll find something decent
>>1635501
It used to be a thing, yes, but thankfully it died out in favor of bolting the bottle cage to the bottom tube of the frame
I think the only bikes that still put the cage on top are bikes for women or something like that, it's been a while ever since I window shopped for bikes
>>
>>1635563
>On the specialized website it just says "Shimano threaded" but the Zydeco is a FSA/BSA 68mm.
That's probably the same thing. On your Tarmac can you see one of these between the frame and cranks? If not you'll need one for the new frame, about $25. Either way you'll also need the tool to remove/install them.
>>
File: tacx galaxia.jpg (58 KB, 1350x715)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Just bought pic related. Never used rollers before. What am I in for? How's the learning curve?
>>
>>1635494
TRP is the way to go if you're going for cable instead of hydro.
>>1635563
You'll need a new BB shell, but that should be about it.
>>1635717
Buy some cheap tyres, as rollers will wear a flat spot on them pretty quick.
Have them set up next to a wall and the bike in a mid-high gear, once you get pedalling the bike will be very stable on the rollers.
Starting takes a bit to get used to, they're easy otherwise and will build your balance and handling skills.
>>
File: PXL_20210409_083514354.jpg (2.96 MB, 2268x4032)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB JPG
How fixable is this shit?
>>
>>1635847
The lever being crooked? Just push it back. If you can't there'll be a bolt under the rubber hood that loosens and tightens the clamp holding it on.
>>
What is this tool he's using to fix tires?
>>
>>1635853
Yeah, sometimes being a cycling noob can be a bit awkward. Didn't realize at first that it is something that simple.
>>
File: 10629940_1.jpg (662 KB, 3776x3776)
662 KB
662 KB JPG
>>1635897
Looks like a dremel.
>>
What does "ride up grades" mean?
>>
>>1635951
"Grade" is short for gradient. The gradient of a hill.
http://theclimbingcyclist.com/gradients-and-cycling-an-introduction/
>In cycling terms, “gradient” simply refers to the steepness of a section of road. A flat road is said to have a gradient of 0%, and a road with a higher gradient (e.g. 10%) is steeper than aroad with a lower gradient (e.g. 5%). A downhill road is said to have a negative gradient.
>>
File: TW.jpg (28 KB, 400x400)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>1635847
If you own a 5mm allen key, then it's easy.

Torque should be 6-8nm on those hoods, FYI a torque wrench is an essential tool for general bike maintenance, doubly so if you have carbon components on the bike.

Pic related is cheap as all dicks.
>>
I can't get the quill stem on my 90s memetain bike lower. I don't feel that it's hitting anything, do I hammer it down? It does come out, it's not stuck.
>>
>>1635977
Yeah I actually had one in my emergency kit, I just didn't realize that was all I need. A guy at the shop nearby did it for two seconds. I was shocked, but i pokerfaced it as if I totally expected that it was that simple. For a while there I actually thought I have fucked up way more.
>>
>>1635759
>>1635715
Thanks anons looks like my Tarmac has a SM-BBR60 so if the Cinelli doesnt come with a shell I'll get another one no biggie or just take it out of the tarmac
>>
>>1636027
Don't hammer it. You will need to get a shorter quill stem. You can try cutting it, but then you won't be able to raise it.
https://youtu.be/_4H93YMf7Z8 around 3:05 is when he explains how to cut the quill stem.
>>
>>1634045
>>1634066

https://www.durianriderrapist.com/
>>
File: cringe.jpg (5 KB, 90x103)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>1635398
>>
Will this fit past my front brake screw inside of my fork? Does this block an important drainage route for water that makes it into my frame?
>>
>>1636193
just put your weed in your bars or seatpost or something
>>
>>1636194
please I'm just autistically worried about rust inside of my frame
>>
>>1636196
Well the neato hipster plug you posted here would work but for 10 percent of the cost google M5 HOLE PLUG

Fellow /n/erds on here will let you know if it is M6 but if it is the size hoke of your water bottle its M5.

If I had a fork hole for rack id keep it covered. Not just rust but road grime and mud.

It would take years to see rust develop but buy the plugs anyway.

If you want to be cool buy them in the frame color or the handlebar wrap colors
>>
>>1636214
I don't think that's for what you think it's for.
>>
>>1635847
>>1635853
This anon is right. I always just bulldog em back to straight
>>
>>1635897
Its a dremel but fixing tires DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

(morbo voice)
>>
>>1635951
Youll get better by riding uphill more
>>
>>1636216
>bulldog em back to straight
>rotating a tight steel clamp on a soft alloy handlebar
Yikes and cringepilled
>>
>>1636248
That "soft" alloy due to it being an alloy of aluminium and that it is pressiformed is as strong as steel. You can just slap it back into position.
You know, physics, education, something you don't have
>>
>>1636248
It loosened up enough to get bent you can bend it back gently. Or if you are in your garage and not on the road just loosen it slightly.
>>
>>1636305
Enjoy creating a failure point on your handlebars anon.
>>
>>1636310
Nothing's bent (probably), it slipped.

>>1636346
Unlike carbon, aluminum doesn't self destruct if you scratch it slightly.
>>
>>1636346
the levers were installed loose enough on purpose so that they would just turn and absorb the impact in a crash. and most aluminium stuff is overbuilt so that it can easily carry your body weight and take a beating, it won't break that easily.
>>
>>1636348
I know i mean take the hood and move it to straight, its slipped as you say. (Theres a hoseclamp looking thing holding it tight). It isnt ded

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.