[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: park tools.jpg (569 KB, 2048x1365)
569 KB
569 KB JPG
flat tire man edition

>>1625692
previous

post pictures of your issues

resources:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
>>
File: 1505174284.jpg (123 KB, 800x600)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
what brand are these?
>>
Is there a fate worse than knee pain?
>>
>>1629441
eat fresh turmeric
>>
>>1629441
Eat eggshell membrane.
>>
>>1629428
Sunrace?
>>
>>1629468
I thought that maybe but can't see it in their lineup
>>
What tubes should I get? Who makes the most durable and airtight tubes?
>>
>>1629489
https://www.rei.com/product/158094/tubolito-s-tubo-road-tube-700-x-18-28
>>
>>1629428
Soma branded Tektro, I think. Soma logo certainly
>>
>>1629489
Schwalbe is unbeatable but you pay 200% at least
>>
>>1629489
Michelin is #1 but they're only in presta and don't thread the valve
>>
I want to buy replacement inner tubes for my new bike coming soon. It uses RoadSport, 700x26 tires. what size do i get?
>>
whats a good affordable hidden gps tracker i can stuff into the frame in case some some ongo bongo steals my bike
>>
Bought a brand new CAAD12 disc ultegra and here in Canada we have pretty shitty roads so Ithought of wrapping my whole frame at a bike shop to protect against rock chips and dirt. Retarded? How tough is the tape?
>>
>>1629534
you're like those asians who wrap their couches in plastic.
it's retarded because paint chips and scratches in an aluminium frame are fine.

helecopter tape is what you'd use though. I'd consider it under your fork crown and inside your chainstays, ie, areas prone to damage only.
>>
File: s-l640.jpg (35 KB, 640x480)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1629514
Tubes come in sizes that will fit a range of tire widths. So tube in pic, for example, will fit any tire between 700x19 and 700x26. So just find a tube like that which will fit your 700x26 tires. Make sure to get the correct valve for your rims also.
>>
>>1629428
>>1629494
Yeah, Soma.
https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/urban-cx-brake-levers
>>
>>1629544
Oops, forgot to add, as >>1629494 said, most certainly Tektro branded as Soma.
http://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=209
>>
>>1629494
>>1629428
>>1629544

I wish more companies were brave enough to release their own branded components as alternatives to the big players. lots of companies make cranks and brake levers but i can't think of anything for good quality non-shimano/sram/campy detrailleurs except for gevenalle
>>
>>1629559
I agree, but it's tough. Buy another company's parts and brand them as your own and will people buy them with the upcharge so you actually make money? Or manufacture stuff yourself (or contract manufacturing), which is a larger investment and then you're still trying to compete with the big boys.
>>
File: former-pro-cyclist.jpg (74 KB, 447x600)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>Yeah i have a carbon handle stem. gotta save every gram to go faster
>>
>>1629544
>>1629494
thanks. I was gonna buy them but then I realized they're for road width bars and I don't really want to shim brake levers.

I've got pic related on the way from china too but i think they might be too long pull to work well with 105 calipers.

It's about the distance between the cable head and the pivot point right? What would you guys guess these are? Long or short pull? It's a spectrum right? And 30mm distance is kind of the dividing point?
>>
>>1629427
Going to seel my roadbike to buy a motorbike since I am about to get my bike license.
Getting rid of my roadbike is going to be hard since it is the last remainder from my late youth and pretty much is a totem for a whole section of my life was just about road cycling. In retroperspective that time only consisted of a long and hot summer, racing random cyclists in the outskirts and living a careless life.
Thanks bike
There is no question, just wanted to get this of my heart
>>
>>1629579
bicycles come and go anon
you'll have another one one day
>>
>>1629579
I feel you, man.
>>
>>1629578
Stop buying chinkshit when the proper part isn't even expensive

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Sora-BL-R3000-Brake-Lever-Set
>$27.99
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/component/sora-r3000/BL-R3000.html
>Clamp band_Diameter (mm) 22.2

As long as "105 calipers" means either this gen or last gen, it's compatible.
>>
>>1629489
michelin airstop
>>
File: SunRace_RDMZ920.jpg (273 KB, 1920x1563)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>1629559
Gevenalle is rebranded microshift. Dia-Compe had microshift make them a "Gran Compe Zero" derailleur in 2010 (10 years ago) but it was expensive for no benefit and the shifters were weird. Some people seem to think microshift are in the same position now that shimano was in the early 70s. Low-to-Midrange but competitive there.
SunRace makes some decent derailleurs, including a 10$ steel friction-shift skylark clone (RD-M10) that is supposedly bombproof.
The thing is you don't have any companies really pushing new tech besides the big 3. Microshift just apes shimano and sram, and SunRace is mostly known for bottom-tier "better than tourney" shit because you actually need to ask for the better things from a catalog an LBS has. They don't sell direct and the retailers with access to their supply don't list anything beyond bottom-tier. If you want a SunRace RDMZ920 12-speed RD it's just not available online.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (31 KB, 788x335)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1629588
I would get those if i could.

Shimano doesn't let anyone ship to NZ. For a long time shimano parts off wiggle etc where cheaper than local wholesale so local retailers complained and they cracked down on it. Now you can only get the parts locally, at high prices, with poor selection. No local retailers even list claris or sora or tiagra flat bar levers in stock. It's a pretty bullshit situation.

i'm looking for some nice old canti levers. They'd work. And yeah it's not current gen 105, i think it's old 10spd. I don't think the whole slr super slr thing matters that much though.
>>
>>1629427
my rear wheel's fucked and I need a new one
I asked the guy from the shop if he had any spare ones but it'll take like 10 weeks
he told me I need a wheel for a 135x9mm axle
I looked online and I can only find 135x10mm ones for rear wheels and 135x9mm for front wheels
Did he get it wrong and should I just get a 135x9mm one?
>>
>>1629496
>>1629513
>>
>>1629427
Im 511 280 lbs i ride a Liv bike around 10 miles a day i want a cool bike recomend me one
>>
>>1629692
i have a liv waterbottle if that makes u feel better
>>
>>1629653
> i think it's old 10spd
If they're 5700 series it would work according to the compatibility charts. Internet says earlier models were different.
>>
>>1629692
> i want a cool bike
>recomend me one
You don't deserve a cool bike.
>>
>>1629692
>>>/bbg/
>>
>>1629708
Kys faggot i want a bianci
>>
>>1629714
90s bianchi grizzly
>>
>>1629692
>>
AHHHH I NEED TO KNOW WHICH DAY MY BIKE WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PICKUP SO I KNOW WHICH DAY TO TAKE THE DAY OFF WORK! THEY JUST SAID THIS WEEK.
>>
>>1629807
Book Friday off, then you will be sure to get it and have a long weekend to enjoy it. Also stop screaming like a bitch and relax a little.
>>
>>1629807
Where do you live that you need a whole day to pick up a bike?
>>
>>1629427
how many bikes is too many bikes? And am i a retard for having a bunch of almost identical bikes? I have a shitty beat up OTS that I use for general purpose groceries and shit with a rack and flat pedals on it. Would I be an absolute mongolain if i got a second OTS to have as more of a road bike with clipless pedals and no rack? I also have a early 2000's alu road bike, but i don't like it as much because it isn't as classy as steel and also the shifters don't work well because its a 8 speed brifter with a 9 speed cassetet
>>
>>1629817
just buy an 8 speed cassette you goblin
>>
>>1629824
i can use all 9 speeds with the way its set up i just have to trim on the fly with the little barrel adjuster
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (25 KB, 400x400)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>1629427
Are these a meme, or are they actually useful?
>>
>>1629653
To my understanding canti (not V-brake) levers work the same as regular sidepull or BMX brakes. There's some BMX suppliers in Aus so maybe you can order from there or they have a branch in NZ.
>>1629681
If he didn't use a caliper then he fucked up. If he DID then it's possible your bike is some oddball size (hybrid? BSO?). You can get strange wheels like that but they come from suppliers like Wheel Master who only sell to OEMs and Bike Shops without online retailers carrying them.
>>1629816
Guessing his bike shop or post office is only open during "business hours."
>>1629817
>>1629826
Either set the limit screws to block off whichever gear you don't use or remove the top or bottom gear and stick a spacer in. In either case you should look up a gearing chart (or which has the least wear) and can probably pull a middle gear out that isn't one you bother with the majority of the time.
>>1629893
I would assume that specific shape may not be. Some of the more "seat-like" ones are almost impossible to use as a regular bike because the part that holds your sitbones is too far back. But for just cruising around a flat area with it set really low and far back it should be fine. There's other, somewhat similar shapes that should work better.
>>
>>1629607
With Advent I think that Microshift graduated to early 80s Shimano. Established and primed to take a big chunk of marketshare from the big names. I kinda feel like Shimano is where Suntour was at back then. Big marketshare, but their competitors are outpacing them in tech, and they're even having to turn to acquisitions to help them sort their shit out. The 100th Anniversary flop was embarrassing. Fortunately for them, the market and economy isn't in a place where they'll be suddenly wrecked like Suntour was.
>>1629692
You're too fat for a cool bike. Lose 100 pounds first.
>>
>>1629681
For wheels with quick releases, the front is almost always 9mm diameter axle and the rear is 10mm. He may have just gotten mixed up and misspoke.
>>
>>1629893
I've tried every noseless saddle could find. The truth is simply that you must have a nose on a saddle for it to be safe enough for anything serious. Without a nose, the bike wants to slip out from under you, and we control the bike with our thighs more than we realize.

There are two saddles on the market that lift you up completely from the nose, but still have a nose that you can control the bike with. One is the Rido R2 which I strongly recommend (I bought up 6 of them just in case they go out of business). There other one is a bizarre looking saddle from SQLabs that I can't remember the name of.
>>
>>1629921
>we control the bike with our thighs more than we realize.
This. Noseless saddles are a gimmick. Especially wide ones with a large front edge. It just digs into the bottom of your butt cheeks and makes it feel like you're sitting on the edge of a table or something.
>>
>>1629923
It's incredible to me that people continue to invent variations on the failed design. There are at least a dozen currently operating companies trying to sell noseless saddles. The solution of a drop-nosed saddle is so simple, I'm equally confused by the fact that there are only two that I am aware of. Although Rido does seem to sell out each batch faster and faster over the years, people don't realize what they're offering is the perfect solution, and instead go for noseless gimmicks like I did
>>
Fortunately i learned how to pop me bollocks up into the cavity when I was kick boxing, it's one of those things that sounds fucking awful and ngl it took me weeks to pluck up the courage to finally have a go. You have to do it one at a time and it can be a bit of a tight squeeze, I mean you have kind of work them up there, but once you've done it a few times it gets much easier asnd doesn't hurt at all.

Anyway for cycling it's a fucking godsend, not just for sitting comfort, but you can practically forget about that area altogether, there's literally no chance of banging your nuts at any point as long as you have the family jewels safely tucked away, that's like a serious weight off your shoulders right there, specially when doing some hard downhill mountain biking, it doubles your courage.
>>
>>1629817
Well known fact that the optimal number of bikes is n + 1. So it follows that n + 2 is too many bikes.

>>1629900
>Guessing his bike shop or post office is only open during "business hours."
But still, the whole day?
>>
>>1629933
I've never once had a problem with my balls while riding. The goal of the whole noseless saddle "innovation" isn't to save your balls.
>>
>>1629951
Just wait until your balls drop.
>>
>>1629921
>>1629923
>>1629930
You don't need the nose, but you need to have the saddle drop away from your thighs to avoid that "table edge" feeling. I use clones of the ISM Sport and it is pretty perfect. It's more like an eggshape with the sides sides relieved and the center cutout. That make it have a VERY short nose that you don't feel at all, because it only exists in areas where you are putting no pressure. And you get used to steering with it, I have never once felt like the bike was going to slip out from under me.
>>
>>1629957
oh man, got me.
>>
How do you keep your bike clean when servicing it? There's always a bit of extra grease around the BB or hubs/spokes after I'm done and it's nasty, even after trying to clean it up with degreaser without leaking any into the bearings, I end up with occasional missed spots.
>>
>>1629991
Just wipe it of with a rag? I don't see how this as issue at all.
>>
>>1629692
caad13
>>
>>1629817
get a modern carbon road bike pleb
>>
>>1629995
There's still a film there and then when I hoist my bike up to carry it outside it risks getting on my clothes/hands. People complain about being sweaty from cycling to work but they don't ever mention how filthy a bike can be even if it looks clean from 6ft away.
>>
>>1629991
>after I'm done
Done doing what? Repacking the bearings?
>>
>>1630024
wipe it down with a soft super absormant cloth, then when you feel like you can get no cleaner wipe the entire frame down with a lint free cloth dipped in rubbing alcohol. Also avoid toucking the frame with your bare hands, wear lint free gloves or better yet just don't touch it ever again and store it in a laboratory
>>
>>1630026
Yes, repacking the bearings and installing everything again. Loose ball. Cranks, any threads that need greasing and so on.
Is this why other people's bikes rust to shit?
>>1630027
hmmm I have just been using blue shop rags so maybe the cloth is the problem
>>
>>1630028
blue shop rags are probably applying more grease than they remove anon. Try using andrex triple ply super absorbent extra soft and long toilet tissue
>>
>>1630028
I feel for you, man, and I'm not trying to be a turd, but I still don't see how this is an issue. It's not hard to not have grease everywhere after repacking bearings. Especially with fresh grease though, I try not to use degreaser if I'm just cleaning up excess, at least not right away. I'll wipe up as much as possible with a clean rag and then maybe wipe the residue with some degreaser on a rag. If I go at the fresh grease right away with degreaser, it's just going to thin that grease out and spread it around.
>>
>>1630028
lol pleb, modern bikes have cartridge bearings which are worry free, just replace the entire bearing after a gorillion miles. try isopropyl alcohol and a clean microfiber towel?

>>1630024
hold it by the handlebar and saddle? why would you touch the bottom bracket area
>>
if you care enough about your bike that you repack the bearings etc you shouldn't have such a heavy normie pleb bike that you need to wrestle it and lean it on your shoulder or someshit, you should try not to touch the painted surfaces
>>
>>1629692
Salsa vaya.
>>
>>1630024
No but seriously how do you *ever* ride it with this mindset? Ten minutes on clean pavement will make the frame 500% filthier than "oh no there's a film of leftover grease on the bb shell that hasn't been completely cleaned away". (And god forbid you ever notice the chain)
>>
>>1629933
That was painful to read.
>>
>>1629933
Congrats, you're an honorary tranny.

https://newdiscourses.com/tftw-ladydick/
>>
>>1629816
I would have to take public transportion with all the societal dregs to get to the bike shop as i cant ride 2 bikes back at once. I also would have to ride slow and steady to get used to the new bike. They also have lame ass covid hours where they close at 5 or 6pm. It's just best if i know which day it's ready to pick up.
>>
>>1629959
I've never seen this ISM, but the design looks legit to me. I tried one of the triathlon models but I think they are only ideal for aero position, when sitting relatively upright my sitbones felt too wide for the saddle.
Strongly believe ISM is best for aggressive riding, Rido R2 best for upright
>>
>>1629959
I think the technical term for an ISM style saddle is "split nose" -- still counts as a nose
>>
>>1630033
>I'll wipe up as much as possible with a clean rag and then maybe wipe the residue with some degreaser on a rag. If I go at the fresh grease right away with degreaser, it's just going to thin that grease out and spread it around.
I always just went straight at it with the cleaner but that makes sense, thanks.
>>1630065
>why would you touch the bottom bracket area
Narrow steep stairway. Rear wheel has to be lifted above waist level. And I have a wall rack that puts the top tube above head height.
>>1630069
>if you care enough about your bike that you repack the bearings etc
I like even my crappy bikes to feel good to ride. The hubs bearings are especially important.
>>1630088
>Ten minutes on clean pavement will make the frame 500% filthier
I put a paint protector and then wax on my frames so they don't actually get dirty unless it's filthy out, but then that mostly knocks off with a brush.
>"oh no there's a film of leftover grease on the bb shell that hasn't been completely cleaned away"
Have you ever touched a greasy part unintentionally? It's nasty. Then it gets on your handlebars and cleaning those is a real hassle. If you don't you end up wiping that shit on your face out in a ride.

>>1630110
>Attach the fork of the 2nd bike to a rack on the first
>stow the 2nd bike's front wheel on the side of the rack
>pedal home, don't go too fast down hills to avoid jackknifing
>>
>>1630110
>as i cant ride 2 bikes back at once
Actually, you can, and it's quite easy. Ride one handed side-by-side while the other hand steers the second bike.
It works well and you also don't have to place your feet on the ground when stopped since you can balance against the second bike.

t. done it many times
>>
>>1630218
You have undiagnosed autism unfortunately.
>>
File: 1598764175153.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>1630225
This is /n/
>>
>>1630224
>implying I can ride one handed.
>>
>>1630257
Stop being a little bitch, Baconrider can do it without legs
>>
>>1630257
should be easy to learn if your bike isn't fucked up. lift your hand like 1 inch from the bar so you can just hold the bar again if it feels sketchy. even when i was a total noob on a borrowed shitbike i could reach up to adjust my glasses without thinking about it.
>>
>>1630257
>>1630275
>>1630276
it shouldn't be any harder than normal, if your bike tracks properly you should even be able to steer with one finger.
I now realise I've been doing it for years without even thinking about it
>>
>>1630276
I'm not op, I was just projecting, but I've learned to ride last year at 24 and just now I can take a hand off to adjust my glasses or hair. I think it will take me another year to ride no handed and maybe a decade to take a jacket off or reach down to drink water.
Maybe I'm just a faggot, dunno.
>>
>>1630110
i rode 5km with 2 bikes the other day
it was preddy easy
you keep a hand on the stem
>>
>>1630224
>>1630299
Different anon. I've attempted that before and not had much skill at it.
And I can ride one-handed unlike some of these other tards. It's the other bike that I struggle with controlling, not the one I am riding.
>>1630279
According to Paul Brodie (retired framebuilder) if a bike's frame is not aligned properly it affects the ability to ride no-hands. And apparently the misalignment can be compounded across different parts of a frame, which makes it difficult to spot for most people.
>>1630294
Your bike fit sounds fucked up, I'd guess too much hand pressure. Which will destroy your arm nerves
>>
>>1630365
>Your bike fit sounds fucked up, I'd guess too much hand pressure. Which will destroy your arm nerves
My bike fits me well enough, is not bent and I good mechanical condition, I'm just a pussy.
>>
my brother put a pack of sausages in my frame because i slept with his girlfriend and i think i got them all out but the bike still smells and i only found 5 sausages so i was wondering if it would be possible to put a sausage into a chainstay? Is there a hole behind the bottom bracket?
I know he has the tools to do it but I don't.
>>
>>1630370
Bike fit = adjustment of contact points relative to each other. Your bike can "fit you" as in "you can reach the pedals but don't look like a gorilla riding a clown bike" while still throwing your weight in places it doesn't need to go.
>>
>>1630224
It's illegal in most countries. I had to pay a fine for it in Austria.
>>
Can I ride my bike for the time being without the retaining cap covering the crank arm nut? Similar to pic

I'm just waiting for the pin spanner to arrive.
>>
>>1630375
Just stop. My bike fits me.
>>
File: file.png (366 KB, 1311x582)
366 KB
366 KB PNG
is there a decent car rack out there for 2 bikes?
i have a small sedan, and stuff like this is either sold out or fucks up your car
>>
File: rack.png (472 KB, 920x687)
472 KB
472 KB PNG
Would that rack fit to that bike? Notice the mounts are on the inside of the fork plus a hole in the centre (circled)
>>
>>1630412
Can't say for sure but it looks like it would.
>>
>>1630412
no, that rack mounts to nutted axles. might be able to get it to work on rack eyelets (top/front of dropout) but definitely not midblade eyelets.
>>
>>1630415
>>1630417
Thanks for the replies.

Can anyone recommend a lightweight flat front rack similar to the one pictured that might fit with midblade eyelets?
>>
How wide of tires can I mount to a set of rims? Right now I've got a set of 700 x 32 slicks on it. I'm looking at throwing some 700 x 35 Schwalbe Marathon Mondials on it for a tour planned for later this year.
>>
>>1630432
It is fork clearance rather than rim size that will limit what tyres you can use anon, look at bike specs to find max tyre width
>>
>>1630421
https://www.bike24.com/p2335714.html
https://www.bike24.com/p2158374.html
>>
File: tableau1-1.jpg (168 KB, 1511x519)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>1630432
See: >>1630433
but also: https://engineerstalk.mavic.com/en/the-right-tyre-width-on-the-right-rim-width/
>>
File: 1614527422313.jpg (29 KB, 399x385)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>1630372
Probably. There also could be holes near the dropouts (take the back wheel off)
>>
>>1630390
Is it a "retaining cap" or just a dust cover?
>>
>>1630372
that's absolutely fucking brilliant holy shit
>>
>>1630483
thanks anon
>>
>>1630372
You slept with your brother's girlfriend?
>>
Are there any other stores that do little writeups for retail (not boutique) components like grant does? He may be a self-flagellating cunt who overcharges on everything but I can appreciate that he adds a little review for everything he sells. Most other places will at best list some of the sizes and the serial number, at worst just pasting the title again.
>>
>>1630530
Forgot to mention: I don't care about the prices, I just want to use them to window shop before I ask my LBS or buy the part whereever's cheapest.
>>
File: ブレーキ.jpg (3.29 MB, 3120x4160)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB JPG
Does anyone ITT know what this type of brake is called or where to find a replacement? It's on an old GT Outpost
>>
i know nothing about bikes, can't drive, want a bike for riding around town, with a basket. budget is as cheap as possible. any suggestions?
>>
>>1630530
I used to really like Competitive Cyclist's product descriptions. They used to (maybe still do) list the component's claimed weight and actual weight, which I thought was pretty cool. This was like 10+ years ago though and it seems like a lot of their copy is just more marketing now. But maybe still worth a look.
>>
>>1630534
"U-brake", more common on BMX. Quick search tells me that's from about 92-93 and should be Dia Compe branded
>>
>>1630541
go check your local dumpster
>>
>>1630530
analog cycles does the same shit
>>
File: outpost.jpg (3.15 MB, 4160x3120)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
>>1630545

thank you anon! yes, the brakes are dia compe. looks like tektro makes a u-brake replacement piece.
>>
>>1630549
you can just replace them for v-brakes. the front one too.
>>
>>1630550

the front you can but the rear you can't because the posts are above the brake track rather than below
>>
>>1630550
The front yes, but not the rear u-brake. U-brake posts are in a different spot than v-brakes or cantilever brakes in relation to the brake track.
>>
>>1630550
>>1630551
>>1630552
Normally you can't but there are dropbolts for the bosses available if you really want V or cantis.
It sucks U brakes use a special mount, I'd really like to try them someday.
>>
>>1630551
>>1630552
damn, I stand corrected.
>>
File: P480.jpg (226 KB, 971x851)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
>>1629427
Just sold my old Vagabundo and I need to replace it..
I used it for commuting, mostly.
What kind of vintage bike with similar aesthetics do you recommend?
I don't really want to go fast.
>>
>>1630566
>Just sold my old Vagabundo and I need to replace it..
>What kind of vintage bike with similar aesthetics do you recommend?
Then why the fuck did you sell it?
>>
>>1630566
I fell for the 90s mtb meme, butI'm not too sure about wanting one.
>>
>>1630575
Fuck, I meant to reply to >>1630568
>>
>>1630566
I wonder if anyone makes shit like this new.
>>
>>1630566
just set up an ebay alert I'm sure you'll be able to grab one for $1,000 in a few years (local pickup only, south Dakota)
>>
>>1630372
You deserve it.
>>
>>1630389
>autistic german rules
>'most countries'
my dear hans...
>>
>>1630406
install a towbar. You might be able to pick one at a scrapyard and bolt it right on
>>
>>1630372
kek
>>
File: choppers.jpg (169 KB, 1890x725)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>1630579
>>
>>1630566
fixie
>>
>>1630566
>when you see it
>>
>>1630390
sometimes it's a dust cover (not vital). Sometimes it's a cover that a self extracting bolt presses against to remove the crank, so like, when you unwind the bolt it hits up against the cover and presses the crank off (not necessary except to remove the crank), and sometimes it's to set preload (necessary)

Actually you may be able to fudge your preload without it but it won't be good for your bearings.
It's also the kind of tool that's very easy to make, with a length of stiff wire, coathanger, etc, and a file if the ends are too large still.
>>
>>1630566
Check atomiczombie, you can get some plans and then have your local lowrider shop weld you one up
>>
Are kryptonite locks a meme?

I'm reading reviews and comparing prices and it seems to me that OnGuard has basically the same security level at ~50% less price

Is it just poorfag cope from my side?

What lock do you use?

hope this is the right thread for this
>>
>>1630707
idk man they're just locks. I think they're overhyped as shit, having had two.
The last one I got was a motorcycle one to use in conjunction with an Abus cable but the fucking lock literally fell apart after a plastic piece inside (holding the U bolt) shattered.
>>
>>1630707
The only good bike lock is the lock on your front door. (And even that's only foolproof if there's also a gun behind it)
>>
>>1630722
Are you saying that he should never take his bike out of his house?
>>
>>1630723
If he lives somewhere where he has to worry about joggers tackling him while he's riding, probably better to just buy disposable walmart bikes from the start.
>>
>>1630726
>tackling him while he's riding
What are you even talking about? Do you not lock your bike when you leave it unattended in public? Because I'm pretty sure that's what he wants it for.
>>
>>1630729
>leave it unattended in public
Tyrone has already picked out the crack pipe he's buying with the $5 he's going to sell your bike for.
>>
>>1630730
I'm still not sure what you're trying to get at here. Do you never ride your bike to the store or anything?
>>
File: 1607760042591.jpg (17 KB, 281x351)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>1630732
No, I can afford a car.
>>
>>1630734
Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.
>>
>>1630707
lockpickinglawyer rates them
>>
>>1630729
it's reckless to leave anything of value unattended. i'm actually surprised that my country is mostly spared of antics like you have in burgerstan like people sawing off catalytic converters from cars etc. you should have a beater for going to the store which you wouldn't really care if it gets stolen and then you don't need a very fancy lock for it. dutch bikes just have an integrated lock to keep the rear wheel from turning and that's sufficient if you live in a white place. but if you live in a shithole go ahead and buy a $200 lock to protect your $20 shitbike.
>>
File: IMG_20210203_131134 (1).jpg (761 KB, 1080x1920)
761 KB
761 KB JPG
>>1630707
It worked for me. Nobody was going to break a lock for a $100 bike, I guess. I'm >>1630566
>>1630634
>>1630671
Thank you
>>
>>1629427
Can I call a bike shop on bikeexchange and ask to pay shipping?
I see their springtime free shipping promotional is on, and there's a bike I'd like to buy, but the store opted out of allowing shipping to not have to pay free shipping. I don't mind paying the shipping, but I cannot go pick it up (It's 5 hours away).
>>
>>1630779
you can call anyone and ask anything
>>
>>1630781
Fair. I sent an email since it's 4am. It's for a Roam 3 Disc 2018, which suits my budget and entry-level bike niche pretty well.
>>
>>1630782
>suspension hybrid
yuck
>>
>>1630783
I live in a small town with disconnected lengths of sidewalk along two big highways and gravel shoulders or backwoods everywhere else. I intend to stay along the roads mostly since there isn't actually any trailing nearby either, but I'll be going on and off the road/sidewalk/beat up pavement paths pretty much whenever I'm on a bike, so I don't see what the harm is in having suspension.
>>
>>1630784
newfag ?
>>
>>1630784
Anon, lurk moar, the only bikes that should have suspension are mid-top tier mountain bikes that are being ridden on technical terrain.

NO OTHER BICYCLE NEEDS SUSPENSION.

Especially cheap entry level energy sapping heavy as a mother fucker meme suspension which is what you'll be getting when buying a bike for less than £2500. Tyre choice matters much more, rigid carbon forks make sense, even a suspension stem if you're cycling down railway tracks would be a reasonable purchase, but cheapo spring/air meme forks are NEVER a good idea.
>>
>>1630785
Yes.
>>1630793
Okay, that just brings me back to getting something off bikesdirect.
>>
Does someone the part number for a rear derailleur hanger for a 2019 Fuji Jari 1.5?
Also why are rear derailleur hangers such a fucking nuisance to find?!
>>
File: cringe.jpg (5 KB, 90x103)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>1629579
>/bqg/
>blog posting
>>
>>1630028
You're over-packing your bearings if you have a ton of grease working it's way out after service. Use less grease or deal with wiping off the excess grease for the next 20 or so miles (after riding).
>>
>>1630224
>t. bike thief
>>
>>1630707
ongusrd bulldog MINI is what you want
mini locks are harder to break open.
you can snap a large u lock why a fucking 2x4, which are accessible to any wiley junkie
>>
>>1630541
>t. I just got a DUI
>>
>>1630605
>(local pickup only, south Dakota)
This shit is the worst. I hate these guys.
>>
File: paranoid.jpg (32 KB, 852x480)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>1630726
>>1630730
>>1630751
>>
>>1630890
packaging a bike to ship is a massive bitch
you can generally talk most 'local pickup only' people around to dropping it off at their lbs to package and ship if you organize everything and pay them beforehand
>>
>>1630892
Don't use eBay if you're not willing to ship. That's the point.
>>
>>1630896
but ebay listings don't always ship everywhere
you can be disapointed anyway
>>
>>1630868
>if you have a ton of grease working it's way out after service
That's not what's happening.
>>
>>1630898
Do you think it's being transported to your frame from the Enterprise or something?
>>
>>1630897
Are you stupid? 'Tards in bumfuck nowhere shouldn't be selling items using eBay with local pick only. Use fucking craigslist or something. The assholes that charge $60 to ship a CPU cooler somehow seem more reasonable than shitheads peddling their trash with local pickup only.
>>
>>1630913
It's being put there by my gloves touching freshly greased parts while assembling them, obviously.
>>
File: yes.jpg (74 KB, 807x711)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>1630995
So, you just don't know how to wipe grease off your frame after you're done working on it. Got it.
>>
File: 20200823_155608.jpg (511 KB, 2000x1500)
511 KB
511 KB JPG
>>1629427
I bought a cheap new 7 speed road bike last year and have been having troubles with it.
The bottom bracket was too narrow to use all gears, the chain was too wide (7,3mm instead of 7,1mm), which means the chain would rub against cassette gears, get stuck on gears and make horrible noises.
I found a narrow chain on one of my family's bike, but it is a little short. It made the crunching sounds go away, but the derailleur now seems to make loud vibrating noises when pedalling. The derailleur is a tourney with aluminium cogs with sealed bearings (I lost the stock bearings like a retard).
Should I start with buying only a new chain or should I get a new derailleur as well? If I were to buy a Claris r2000, would it be compatible with 7s tourney shifters?
>>
>>1631013
I meant that the old chain would act strange when backpedaling, not really get stuck on them.
Also, stock jockey wheels, not bearings.
Excuse my poor understanding of bicycle mechanics, this is the first bike I've worked on all by myself
>>
File: 20210319_205031.jpg (2.13 MB, 4000x3000)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
>>1631013
Newer photo lel
>>
>>1631013
>>1631016
Sounds like your derailleur needs adjusting.
>The derailleur is a tourney with aluminium cogs with sealed bearings (I lost the stock bearings like a retard).
Stop randomly replacing parts and disassembling things if you don't know what you're doing.
>>1631016
You fucked your derailleur. Get a new one or bring it to a shop.
>>
Lads I changed out the pedals on my Brompton and a wavy washer was left over.

I'm guessing it goes on the non-quick release pedal. Anyway, does this really matter.
>>
File: 20210330_161327.jpg (3.16 MB, 4032x3024)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
Got my road bike finally. Drop bars are completely new to me. I've got some bike gear coming like GPS and bottle cages in the mail this week. Might look at adding the maximum spacers the handle stem will allow.
>>
>>1631034
what's your question
>>
>>1631035
Hmmmm. What would you do to make the ride to your mom's house more comfortable on the upper back with this bike?
>>
>>1631039
Get good.
>>
>>1631024
Should I get an Acera, an Altus or a Claris?
Acera and Claris are officially compatible with 7s, but Claris is meant to be better. Is it compatible as well?
>>
>>1629559
>of companies make cranks and brake levers but i can't think of anything for good quality non-shimano/sram/campy detrailleurs except for gevenalle
IRD makes killer levers that look like overpriced gevenalle but are way better
>>
>>1629559
also, for your edification, gevenalle levers are just Tektro with some shit slapped on them
>>
>>1631046
>edification
>amerisharts making up words again
>>
>>1631044
Acera > Altus > Claris
>>
>>1631044
>being this retarded
>>
How much visible flex in a brake disc is too much? Forgive me, I'm retarded.
>>
>>1631034
The height of that stem is already maxed out, newfriend. If you want to go higher, you'll need a stem with steeper angle (35 degrees is common) or riser drop bars. Both of these look like shit and will make you look like a fucking idiot. Do some planks or whatever and get your core strength up. Stop locking out your elbows.
>>
>>1631132
As little as possible without rub, adjust the fixed pad/re-center the caliper (assuming you have single-piston mechanicals?)
>>
How do I check over a carbon frame after a cager pulling out in front of me and being in an accident? I looked it over after cleaning it and there's no cracks or dents I can see. The accident wasn't that bad, the handlebars took the brunt of it all and were bent. Other than that everything else seems to be fine, the front tire was still inflated and everything.
>>
>>1631170
It's not safe anymore. It may or may not have suffered damage, but you can't be certain that it won't fail catastrophically under you and kill you.
>>
>>1631180
fuck this is what I was afraid of. thanks anon
>>
>>1631170
>>1631180
>>1631184
CF also can't be recycled in any reasonable way that isn't "turn it into an art project".
>>
>>1631188
I'll probably just take all of the components off, get a new frameset and hang this one above my desk or something
>>
how good are hydraulic rim brakes?
>>
File: 1586735389882.jpg (18 KB, 248x189)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>1631034
>daily drive a hybrid with a literal foot of spacers and handlebars another foot higher than that
>buy an allez
>instantly start complaining that there's only room for 20mm of spacers

I look forward to seeing that thing on craigslist in a week
>>
>>1631044
all shitmano 6/7/8 is compatible. so an 8 speed shitmano shifter operating a7 speed shitmano derailer can shift on a 6 speed shitmano cassette
>>
>>1631191
Just sell it and don't tell that's been cashed lol
>>
>>1631215
all carbon fiber on craigslist has been crashed. and one day, every carbon fiber part with delaminate or collapse. then the second age of steel will begin
>>
>>1631034
get a professional bike fit. you shouldn't need more stack than that. especially the bike in the back is ridiculous. maybe your saddle is too low i don't know. measure your pubic bone height and multiply it by 1.09 to get a ballpark figure for the distance between the pedal and the top of the saddle.
>>
>>1631034
>>1631262
and show that photo to the bike fitter
>>
>>1631263
Only slowly so the fitter won't get a heart attack or aneurism from the laughter. Also bring a print out copy so they can hang it on the wall
>>
>>1631170
Carbon frame repair companies like Ruckus and Calfee can inspect the frame for cracks. They use UV dye and/or high magnification loupes to inspect, but they can only find damage near the surface. If it's damaged further in there's pretty much no way to find out about it.
>>
>>1631039
I would get in shape
>>
>>1631303
Yeah I just emailed Specialized to see if I qualify for their assisted replacement program. As much as I don't want to stop riding this bike, I also don't want to become a meat crayon and die
>>
>>1631367
>meat crayon
I don't even exactly know what the visual is supposed to be here but I'm laughing anyway.
>>
>>1631170
are you the same anon who crashed his new carbon specialized bike and damaged the handlebars by being a noob and not because of 'some cager'?
>>
>>1631370
um no
>>
File: DSC_0792.jpg (540 KB, 3872x2592)
540 KB
540 KB JPG
Any tips on how to replace this handlebar? I can't figure out how to remove the darn thing. Is it even replaceable?
>>
>>1631405
it looks like that nut on the top is on a rod which holds the bar clamp closed
So if you undo the nut, you should be able to just slide the bar out of the clamp. You'll have to cut off the grips on one side (or slide off with an air compressor or isopropyl spay under)
>>
>>1631405
also, if you mean how to remove the stem, it will just be a regular quill stem, with the bolt hidden behind that big mass of nonsense. Look up how they work.

It looks like maybe you just unbolt those two allen bolts and slide the whole top part off and it reveals the quill bolt.
>>
File: DSC_0793.jpg (434 KB, 3872x2592)
434 KB
434 KB JPG
>>1631412
>>1631418
I have tried undoing the nut, but the handlebar won't come off. I've also tried spraying WD40, but it didn't help.
>>
>>1631405
>>1631422
you've already opened the release lever, there's nothing holding the bar in place other than pressure and rust
either chisel the clamp open with a flat head screwdriver or just hammer the whole thing until it gives
>>
>>1631424
That's my last hope, will do that.
>>
>>1631422
>>1631425
Cut it off at the foam then hammer time
>>
File: DSC_0795.jpg (491 KB, 3872x2592)
491 KB
491 KB JPG
>>1631453
Finally it came loose. Hammer did the job. Thanks.
>>
>>1631456
Post a pic of the full bike, it looks strange.
>>
>>1631456
this was all totally pointless since you need to get a new stem anyways. but uh, congrats. now try taking that fucked up stem out and see if it's rusted to the fork tube
>>
>>1629427
>listening to music while cycling in city/town
Should it be done? What earphones do you use to listen to music?
>>
>>1631532
>listening to music while cycling in city/town
That is a first class ticket to get run over. Don't do it
>>
>>1631532
>>1631533
Why do people act like it's so dangerous? People have music on super loud in their cars all the time and they don't get into accidents because of it.
>>
>>1631534
Because I watched a little girl get run over at a crossing wearing earbuds and not looking at the truck coming in at speed
>>
>>1631534
yes they do, they're just not the ones that get killed
I've had to yell on top of my lungs at people in cars backing up from a parking spot only looking one way
when you're on a bicycle you're really vulnerable, gimping one of your senses is really not a great idea.
>>
What brands of cartridge bearsings aren't either complete shit made by Laotian 5-year-olds or overpriced meme garbage "Proudly Made in USA" (by trannies)? Need new bearings for my campag sciroccos
>>
>>1631034

holy fuck that fred stack anon. I think you may need to just buy a bigger bike
>>
>>1631563
skf/ntn/fag

enduro is fine for bicycle purposes but their tolerances are trash compared to real bearing manufacturers
>>
>>1629427
Is it bad if the rear wheel moves when I push on the rim? Just a few mm to the point where it touches the brake pad.
>>
>>1631572
I mean it's not good. Is it like a knocking back and forth? The hub bearings probably need to be adjusted.
>>
>>1631573
It only does it if I push, I haven't noticed any issues riding. Nothing knocks.
>>
>>1629427
If my cassette no longer clicks, does that mean its time for a replacement?
>>
>>1631578
cassettes don't click, the freehubs do. if you have a freewheel, you can try flushing out the pawls by dripping in some oil or solvent through the back of it. it's obviously easier if you take it off the wheel first. if it's a freehub, you'll have to disassemble the hub before you can service it. some aren't really made to be serviced and you're meant to replace them if they get messed up.
>>
Looking for a replacement stem.
I bought a large bike because it was very cheap at a time when similar bikes are either very expensive or impossible to source, it's a large BMC which means it's suitable for men 5'9'' - 6'2'' and I'm 5'10''. it's absolutely fine in all respects except the handlebars could do with being maybe 2 cm closer. It has a 110 mm stem and I was thinking about getting a 90 mm stem, any recommendations? I was thinking about one of those suspension stems, are they any good? This bike is rigid with alu front fork.
>>
>>1631583
>I was thinking about one of those suspension stems, are they any good?
I had one on my old bike, it didn't really do anything.
>>
>>1631369
a meat crayon drawing a squiggle across the road
>>1631532
>Should it be done?
If you want, I do
>What earphones do you use to listen to music?
None. Why do you assume you need earphones? Just put your phone in your pocket with the volume up.
>>1631563
Add KSM to >>1631571 's list. Japanese company as well. Dunno if the size you want is something they make though.
>>1631572
Yes it's bad. You won't notice while riding but your bearings are slowly getting beaten
>>
>>1631533
Very doubtful you'll hear a car descending on you from behind in time to do anything about it, especially in noisy traffic. OTOH if your music's so loud you couldn't hear a car horn or someone yelling at you from 5 feet away it might be an issue.

Use your eyes.
>>
>>1631583
kalloy uno is the cheap but dependable choice for threadless in any size. but realistically as a bike person you should expect to amass a collection of stems so just go for whatever.
The redshift suspension stems seen to be legit according to ridinggravel.com and they actual ride on gravel. would be a shame if you bought it in the wrong length though. pro move is getting the fit perfect with cheap $20 stems first
>>
>>1630726
>tackling him while he's riding
has that happened to any /n/iggers here?
>>
>>1631532
ve monks off aliexpress
sound better than ipod earbuds
last reasonably long
work well without any pad/foam/rubber bit which i hate using because it gets lost
$5
>>
>>1631532
I only put one bud in of my bluetooth earphones with foam tips. plastic ones fell out of my ear once, so i don't use them while riding now
Music isn't blaring, so still can hear stuff.
>>
>>1631612
>Yes it's bad. You won't notice while riding but your bearings are slowly getting beaten
What should I do about it? Get a new wheel? Tighten the bearings?
>>
>>1631654
Yeah, just adjust the bearings.
>>
>>1631654
You will need:
- a thin wrench of the appropriate size, either the kind of stamped steel one provided with some types of furniture or a dedicated cone wrench
- a normal wrench
optional: A vise
1. take the wheel off the bike, lay it on it's side gears-down. If you have a vise, instead clamp the vise on the nut (NOT THE AXLE) of the gear side just enough to keep it from moving. Tipping the wheel so it rests on the bench is fine as long as the nut is held.
2. If you have 3 or more nuts on this side of the axle, put the thin wrench on the lower thinner cone nut, hold it steady and remove the top nut and any spacers (KEEP THEM IN THE RIGHT ORDER). Otherwise: loosen the top nut about an 8th of a turn.
3. If on the floor, take the top wrench off the top nut and turn the cone nut both ways a little. It should turn easily without moving the axle. If it does not, grasp the nut on the opposite side with the normal wrench so the axle doesn't spin and lay the wheel back down so the wrench is held still.
4.With one hand, put your fingers behind the hub flange and your thumb on the axle. Pull with your fingers, to see how it moves. Then tighten the cone nut about 1/16th or less of a turn. Pull with your fingers, if there's still movement, tighten. Repeat until there is no play. Then, holding the cone nut as firm and steady as you can, use the other wrench to tighten the top nut against the cone nut (this is called a 'lock nut' technique). Test the hub for play again with your fingers, and then hold the axle with both hands while you give the wheel a spin.

You want free spin, but no play.

If it sounds crunchy the bearings may need overhauling.
>>
>>1631654
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERvMQHNF8Nk
>>
>>1631654
another piece of advise for your anon, is label and or photograph parts because sometimes it's confusing when putting a hub back together which way round things went and often they aren't entirely symetrical, especially rear wheels, so parts on each side are different.

and if you do it all on like a big plastic lid or something, that's very clean, it makes it easier.
>>
>>1631654
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_axwV6sfaAs
video for rear wheel
>>
>>1631673
>>1631672
>>1631669
>>1631658
Thanks for the help, anons.
>>
>>1631675
Forgot
>>1631665
>>
>>1629427
I can buy this bike in good condition for 450 euros, is it a good deal?
https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/bergamont-roxter-edintion-c2-2017/136322638/p
>>
>>1631747
do you ride actual mtb or just on road/gravel? 450 sounds a bit high if it's not specifically the bike you're looking for. mtbs take a lot of abuse and lose a lot of value so be wary if you're a beginner. frame damage or misalignment can be very difficult to see and the fork stanchions are sensitive to scratches.
>>
File: thefuck.jpg (1.07 MB, 1920x1080)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
What in god's cock is this? I've never seen a front derailleur that was attached to the seat stay. And why would you even place it so far away from the chainrings? I can't imagine it working as it should if it's there. And that's without discussing how the travel of the suspension would interfere with its proper functioning. Is this some way of hacking a 2x drivetrain on an exclusively 1x frame?
>>
>>1631615
>I use my eyes
...said the guy before run over. Many such cases.
At least you don't multiply.
>>
>>1631749
I ride mtb I have a ghost tacana 3 and i ride it a lot, like 100km in one ride when i go on trails and its in great shape, this bergamont is for my dad
>>
>>1631618
>pro move is getting the fit perfect with cheap $20 stems first
Sound advice buddy, cheers.
>>
>>1631758
ok 450 could be reasonable if it's in good shape like the wheels are true, chain isn't stretched, doesn't need new cables, tires etc
>>
>>1631750
looks like it, yeah
they don't mention anything about it on the video?
>>
>>1631798
Bike's only there for a few seconds to demonstrate what a non-fucked chainring looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYp-DjeATtk
>>
>Yeah I bought Schwalbe marathon plus tires, what gave it away?
>>
>>1630433
>fork clearance
it's usually chainstay clearance that's the limiting factor, retard

>>1631814
marathon almotions are the only way
>>
>>1631818
it can be either, no need to be a dick about it
>>
>>1631819
there is a need to be a dick about it.
>>
File: 20210328_130654.jpg (2.46 MB, 3264x2448)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>1630110
>as i cant ride 2 bikes back at once

Spotted yesterday on a highway overpass
>>
>>1631888
Saw a dude huffing it with a frame on his back last time I was out.
Didn't look like he stole it, but who knows.
>>
Are these cheap Chinese wheelsets any good?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000004891523.html
>>
>>1631929
Mavic knockoffs: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001045683986.html
>>
>>1631798
No, nothing at all. It's very weird.
>>
>>1631956
Not weird at all. Front mech works by shoving the chain in and out, the chainring catches the chain and shifts. The front mech doesn't have to be right at the chainring for it to work, although you will need it to move a little further out.
Actually front mechs are very old and obsolete way of shifting, it is much more finnicky to set up correctly. I'd rather have no front mech and have a 2 speed hub shifter in the rear hub with the rear mech, it would be a much better solution for 2x drivetrains
>>
>>1631974
found the GCN shill
but yeah you're right, I always found front derailleurs were a shitty way to shift, much like the paddle rear shifters we used to have before the modern ones
the downside is planetary gears are expensive and can't be repaired by the user or easily replaced
>>
>>1631989
>found the GCN shill
what
>>
>>1631995
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFMhUYoqFyc
>>
File: poo poo pee pee.png (5 KB, 37x27)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>1632046
>>
>>1631818
Clearance is a hair tighter on the fork for me, though I could replace it if I needed to.

>>1631929
>>1631930
>Are these cheap Chinese wheelsets any good?
If you cared about anything except the price and weight you wouldn't be on aliexpress in the first place, so yeah, they're amazing.

>>1632046
Simon's heart really isn't in this anymore, is it?
>>
>>1631929
no
>>
>>1632052
hence the shill remark, genius
>>
>>1631974
It IS weird, because the width of the cage (unless this one has been modified) won't be enough if the derailleur is there, you will get insane amounts of noise in the lowest and highest parts of the cassette and you will lose a handful of watts.
>>
>>1632102
>>1632109
In that case, what is a good alloy wheelset which isn't too expensive?
>>
>>1632154
700c
>>
>>1632154
entry level shimano or campy/fulcrum (same thing) are good
velomine has cheap custom wheels
>>
>>1631929
Well they're going to be machine built and likely poorly. The hubs are probably fine.

>I took earlier were crooked, but tolerable. This time the rear wheel is very crooked and the longitudinal and lateral (8-ka) beats are of the order of 1.5 mm or a little more. Some kind of stained wheel, a scratch on the black side. I haven't looked into the sleeve yet. In short, the quality floats very much, apparently not a factory, but in the basement Chinese peasants collect, "as they can". ; (Weight 38g more than stated. It took a long time, like half of other orders. 21 Jan 2021 13:38

So you factor in getting someone skilled to re-true and tension them when they're new.
It's a good idea if you have someone who will actually do a good job of that without charging you much. Then you'd have a decent wheelset.

It's also much better to buy chinkbrands (like pasak) who actually try to build some quality to their name rather than chink knockoffs which are just totally random.
>>
>>1631750
Yup. Bike frame is 1x specific but mustache man isn't having any of that nonsense and mounted a FD anyway.
>>
>>1632166
But why? It's not like it would work well anyway. Or would it?
>>
>>1632160
>So you factor in getting someone skilled to re-true and tension them when they're new.
>It's a good idea if you have someone who will actually do a good job of that without charging you much. Then you'd have a decent wheelset.
in that case you might consider going full custom. might cost more than you had in mind but you'll end up with a quality set of wheels with your choice of rims, hubs and spokes. if you like tinkering you might even want to build them yourself.
>>
>>1632181
welllll yeah but that's more expensive
>>
>>1632152
It is a 2x so it has trim
>>
>>1632215
I don't think MTB shimano shifters have trim. And even if they did it might not be enough in that situation.
>>
>>1631750
>discussing how the travel of the suspension would interfere with its proper functioning
My feeling is that mounting the FD in the seat stay means the travel wouldn't interfere with the functioning, since the fd travels together with the chain.
>>
I have 2x9 Shimano Sora on my bike with the shifters. I need a read mech with clutch.
What options are there with Shimano 9 speed and shifter compatibility with clutch?
>>
>>1630793
>you need to spend over 2500 to get decent suspension
Full sus sure but a good hardtail can be had for 1000 bucks m8.
>>
>>1632228
But then the derailleur moves with respect to the chainrings, this can be a problem.

>>1632231
Why would you want a clutch on a road bike? Or is it a gravel bike?
>>
>>1632231
>I need
you mean you want a clutch
why do you need a clutch?

microshift makes a 9spd clutched derailer. Shimano doesn't.
>>
>>1632234
Gravel bike, yes. There are lots of good dirt and gravel roads nearby but most of them have heavy tractor thread imprints and the chain is slapping hard
>>
>>1632236
just a 9 speed shadow mech with a stiffer spring and a longer cage might help that enough
like deore or alivio or acera

check you don't need a barrell adjuster before you get a deore one.
>>
>>1632235
The microshift Advent says it is 2x9 speed, has clutch but is only compatible with the microshift Advent shifter. I need one with Shimano 9 speed compatibility so I don't need to replace my shifters
>>
>>1632240
oh ok my bad
i thought microshift just used shimano pull but apparently for that atleast they don't.
>>
>>1632241
I don't exactly know what that means really, that rear mech is MTB so it uses flat bar shifters. Could be they stayed with the road pull and adapted that to their MTB shifters? Could mean it is compatible with my Sora shifters but I'm not willing to buy before I'm sure of it.
>>
>>1632236
Maybe get a STFU Bike chain guide?
>>
>>1632234
>But then the derailleur moves with respect to the chainrings, this can be a problem.
I really don't have enough experience to say for sure, but I'm guessing it's not a bigger problem than having the chain line move around relative to the chainring, and insignificant compared to the problems from mounting the front derailleur so far from the chain ring in the first place.
>>
>>1632245
>and insignificant compared to the problems from mounting the front derailleur so far from the chain ring in the first place.
Yes, this was my main concern from the beginning, I don't see it working properly there, and I imagine it being very noisy as well.
>>
>>1632244
I can print something like that, but it won't be very elegant. Plus those only work well with 1x drive because I have quite larger range with the 2x drive.
My other solution is using a chainstay protector sleeve but that is just treating the symptom not the cause.
>>
>>1632243
indexed shifters all pull a certain amount of cable per click
and rear derailers all move a certain amount over per cable pulled on them
and cassettes all have have a certain distance between cogs

in general, all shimano derailers, road and mtb, 9 speed and earlier, have the same pull ratio
shimano shifters, 9 speed and earlier, also all have the same pull ratio, for each generation (9spd, 8spd, 7 spd etc).

But 10,11,12 speed, mtb and road are different and the derailers aren't the same between generations as before.

and microshift is often shimano pull ratio, but that 9spd clutched advent system apparently isn't.

TL:DR there isn't a clutched derailer for you but non-clutched 9spd shimano mtb mechs might improve things anyway.
>>
>>1632245
What if that front mech is operated by a friction shifter?
>>
>>1632254
What of it?
>>
>>1632231
the other thing to consider is which gears you get chain slap in.
It's something you can often avoid by picking the gears that elevate the chain the most when riding on rough terrain.

Ie, big chainring + 3 or 4 big cogs probably won't slap
>>
>>1632258
The roads are not just flats, there are quite a lot of climbs around 10-12% average, so I use all the gears.
Looks like I'll have to put up with the ugly sleeve.
Also checked, the microshift Advent uses much longer pulls than Shimano, so it's a no go.
>>
>>1632259
you're getting chainslap while pedalling? That doesn't make sense. In the top or bottom run?
>>
>>1632261
Not while pedaling. But a somewhat short distance of downhill and flat roll on the washboard before shifting back for climbing... I just roll and keep momentum and pedal at the climb.
Plus I sometimes (read: most times) forget what gear I'm in and just leave it as is even on longer rolls.
>>
>>1632264
well that's my point
if you shift to big ring + biggish chainring for coasting over washboard you shouldn't have slap
and or just try and pedal over it

>muh 10-12% grades
isn't an excuse
>>
Is there any logic to cleaning a chain? My idea is, firmly wipe down with a rag / brush away any debris, then simply re-lube.
>>
>>1632290
Yes, you can't properly wipe and brush off small particle abrasive dust from inside and it will eat up your chain
Clean it properly from time to time and the relube
>>
>>1632290
Just spray/wipe on some cheap degreaser then rinse and relube. Thoroughly cleaning it is next to impossible and way too much effort for a cheap disposable part.
>>
>>1632323
>way too much effort
- take chain off
- wash off most of the grime in a bowl of soap water/bike shampoo water
- put it into the ultrasound cleaner
- put chain back on, lubricate and wipe

takes literally less than 20 minutes, of which the actual work is 2 minutes
>>
Im getting used to my road bike with drop bars. I've already adjusted the saddle height so my leg is straight when the pedal is fully ended with my heel. How do i ensure i have a good fit position with my upper body? Is the soreness normal even with a proper fit as your muscles get used to it?
>>
>>1631814

what's wrong with the Marathon Plus
>>
>>1631989
>found the idiot that can't shift
>>
>>1632377
>put it into the ultrasound cleaner
Shove your bait up your ass
>>
>>1632535
Not bait. An ultrasound cleaner is a very simple and cheap device that looks like a bowl with a timer. You put water and detergent and the stuff you need cleaning and let it run a few minutes. Stuff is now clean, rinse and dry.
Don't run it empty or it will burn out the piezo element.
>>
>>1632484
>Is the soreness normal even with a proper fit as your muscles get used to it?
If you're that dude whose other bike has more headset spacers than spokes then I'm shocked you can ride drop bars without needing medical attention.
>>
>>1632484
You start with the handlebar on level or slightly lower than the saddle. Ride a few kms then adjust. When you found your lowest comfortable position, you ride it and slowly train yourself and eventually you will get to place your handlebar lower, but it will take time and lots of training and exercise.
>>
I just got a $50 bike for commuting to work but I'm thinking of replacing the tires with ones that are more resistant tp punctures. Are gatorskin tires any good or what else should I get?
>>
>>1632605
they're alright. gp 4 season for better grip and less rolling resistance but premium price. ultra sport iii for budget performance but less puncture resistance.
>>
>>1632605
also, just had a quick look at american amazon prices. you could consider gp 5000 since it's not all that much more expensive than gatorskin. gp 5000 have a lot of grip and low rolling resistance but some anons think they aren't puncture resistant enough. gatorskin have less grip so can be a bit sketchy in the wet but you can compensate for that by riding more gently.
>>
>>1632605
>>1632623
FFS don't get gp5000 if you're focused on flat protection.
>>
>>1632623
nvm gp 5000 is out of stock or more expensive. sometimes you can find them for $40-45 each.

>>1632625
i mean gatorskin is ok but losing grip and falling is more of concern than getting punctures with modern tires imo
>>
>>1632605
also it's disproportionately americans who complain about punctures. try michelin airstop inner tubes instead of the cheap walmart garbage. don't ride in the gutter etc. follow these instructions so you don't pinch, twist or stretch the tubes unevenly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96_2dAQvxvI

this guy has done 4000 km without a single puncture. there are a lot of other anecdotes of people not getting a single puncture or maybe once a year or so if they ride a lot.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/grand-prix-5000-endurance-test
>>
been riding for a year or so around this park circuit and seem to be stuck at avg speed of 29.9km/h. do around 10 laps around it in total 32km.

how to increase avg speeds? i try to pedal harder but my heart rate goes to like 180bpm and its difficult to maintain at this rate.
>>
>>1632658
Eat beans and use the excess flatulence to help propel your cycling to the next level
>>
I have been hearing a strange "cling cling" from my back wheel and I have no idea what it is. It is frustrating since the noise disapear when I'm not on the bike, so it's hard to check what exactly is the cause.
Any idea?
>>
File: 1592654208186.jpg (107 KB, 736x490)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>1632646
Holy shit just stop.

>>1632658
Have you tried a disc wheel with your waifu on it?

>>1632701
Does it happen regardless of whether you're pedaling or not or only when you pedal? Could be a loose spoke. Flick them all with something metal and listen to the notes to see if one's really loose.
>>
>>1632736
It happens when I'm not pedaling. Basically if I put weight on the bike and roll over where the valve is (approximately) I hear the clang
>>
>>1632782
Is your valve retain nut tightened properly?
>>
>>1632787
Yeah yeah it is
>>
>>1632782
Check that the spokes around the valve and 180 degrees away from/opposite the valve aren't loose (test by pinging them, not by feel). If not that, I guess make sure there isn't any rim damage or that the wheel isn't taco'd so bad that it's hitting something when it's in that position. Other than that, idklol.
>>
Im the guy with the crazy high bar hybrid and the new road bike. I used to ride this walmart bike at the bottom quite alot. To the point that the thread weaving was showing. My girlfriend's dad then gave me the top bike and it ran well before i got the blue specialized bike as well. He gave me his bikes with high handle bars and i just rode them and didnt change anything about it. But the new specialized allez i bought myself is really gonna take getting used to. Am i just gonna have to let my body adapt to the new bike? I looked at dozens of videos and im still getting my neck and upper back are sore after a few miles. I already decided to lower the handlebar on the hybrid i use for work by one spacer for now. I figure if i slowly lower it my body will get more used to the road bike more quickly.
>>
>>1633158
Already wrote this down, but you first need to get the handlebar level with the saddle, maybe a tiny bit higher (half an inch max), do not rotate it backwards, keep the tops level! Also keep the stem pointing upwards first.
You start riding it like that with primarily on the hoods, lean on the edge of your palm (like karate chops) and not on the soft tissue. Decrease handlebar height bit by bit by time.
If you start by the pro peloton meme slammed fit you will have a bad time.
When sitting, try rotating your pelvis straight and arching your back, elbows bent, shoulders forward, don't hunch! It will take time to get used to but it will become second nature.
>>
>>1632701
spoke rubbing against each other maybe?

>My friend Ronen Sarig is running tied and soldered spokes on his rear 26 wheel for a related but different reason. After a week or two of chasing down a horrendous creak coming from his bike, and checking every possible source, it was finally determined that the noise was coming from the rear wheel’s spokes rubbing against themselves under power. This seems to happen more with black spokes than with natural stainless. Initially, we thought to cut the spokes and rebuild the wheel with new or to even replace the wheel. We finally came up with the idea that, since there was nothing to lose, why not try fixing the crossed spokes in place with tied wire and soldier. Just like old school track bikes!
>Incredibly, this fixed the problem and the wheel is now dead silent. Just 20 minutes and a few dollars of supplies. This is a great trick to try if you find yourself in the same situation and don’t feel like wasting a ton of money on a new wheel or build.
https://www.peterverdone.com/the-pro-and-the-schmo-dusting-off-some-old-school-tricks/
>>
>>1631532
>Should it be done?
I do it 100% of the times, since 2008 and never* had an accident.
>What earphones do you use to listen to music?
Used to use "on ear" ones but they got discontinued and were a bit too chunky anyway. Nowadays I go with cheap-ass Philips shs3200 in-ear ones, they come without sound seal so you still have some traffic/wind noise leaking in.

>>1631533
No one sane rides on sound alone. Use your eyes mate.
>>
>>1633235
No one sane rides on eyes alone. Use your ears mate.
>>
>>1631132
a tip for adjusting brakes, and this works the best on mechanicals is squeeze the handle as hard as you can while tightening the bolts on the brake itself, do this very slowly as if you tighten one bolt more than the other the caliper swivels to one side, so you tighten one bolt 1/10 then the next and so on untill snugg
>>
>>1631207
magura, they work alot better than regular v brakes, and the pads last longer since they touch the rim in their entirty and not from a single pivot point, but imo it's easier to change a cable than it is to put new oil, and hope the cable don't crack, better to buy a good set of v-brakes like shimano deores
>>
The color I want to use for my brake cable housing isn't also offered for shift cables. What do?

>>1632658
If you're focused on speed -
>Lower tire pressure
>Check riding position
>check hubs/cranks/pedals for bearing crunch, play or stiffness
>check frame/wheel alignment
>check for wheel true and check for brake rub
>practice braking at speed and practice cornering so you're less of a pussy and don't lose speed there
Then if all that is fine:
>buy better tires
>latex tubes
>better wheels
>check handlebar width and stem length for your ability to assume an aero position
>clip on aero bars
>move your bottle behind your saddle
>
>
>consider gayass lycra
>>
>>1632658
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFMwOmm75HE
>>
What are the best sort of shoes for non clipless pedals?
>>
>>1633333
chekt
>>
>>1632605
vittoria zaffiros are pretty solid imo, and they're cheap as fuck. They're not really designed to be specifically for pucture resistance, but I rarely get puctures with them

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.