[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 94 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

“In the 50s the mentality around roads was that they existed for one purpose and that was to move as many cars as you could as fast as you could,” the new U.S. transport secretary has told a conference. Pete Buttigieg stressed that one of his priorities will be to halt and reverse that mentality .

“One thing that I don’t think a lot of Americans are aware of is how far behind we are on bicycle and pedestrian safety,” said Buttigieg who was appointed as President Biden’s transport secretary early last month.

“Other developed countries are safer to walk or bike on than American streets,” he added, intimating he would change that.

No doubt Buttigieg will, at some point in the near future, remind cities and highway planners that building more and wider roads does not reduce congestion, it increases it.

Elsewhere in Texas, Houston’s Katy Freeway was expanded to 26 lanes between 2008 and 2011 at a cost of $2.8 billion in order to alleviate severe traffic congestion. The expansion did not alleviate traffic congestion, it made it worse. Travel times increased by 30% during the morning commute and 55% during the evening commute between 2011 and 2014.

Buttigieg is also in favor of investing in high speed rail, pointing out that Japan and China are far in advance of America on such efficient transport modes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2021/03/22/design-for-human-beings-not-cars-new-us-transport-secretary-says/
>>
>>1628665
>building more and wider roads does not reduce congestion, it increases it
False
>>
>>1628665
>Feds posturing while not actually offering anything in terms of policy
A literal nothingburger, then.
>>
>irrelevant diversity hire noises
Reminder that the only reason this idiot isn't managing a walmart somewhere right now is because he takes dick up the ass.
>>
>>1628677
Wrong, it's because he glows in the fucking dark
>>
>>1628682
https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1616637228169.webm
>>
>>1628677
>he takes dick up the ass.
He's literally a power top but ok.
>>
>>1628697
>He's literally a power top
Oh well that's totally different. He's absolutely qualified to be a cabinet secretary and 14th in line on the presidential succession list then.
>>
Bunch of white elephant infrastructure projects.

Hope you like 50 million per mile bike lanes in communities of color. Made to sub par standards by a minority contractor.
>>
File: 1594950860376.png (74 KB, 600x569)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
>>1628705
>5 years ago
>my city builds 1 mile of bike path downtown for $3.5 million
>organization behind it wanted to "do it right" instead of doing something cheaper in order to show the way for future bike paths
>current year
>path is nice but hardly ever gets used
>no new bike paths have been or are being built
>other than a sparse network of MUPs, current bike infrastructure boils down to finding the most disused, potholed streets in the city and declaring them designated bike routes
>>
File: 20210326_215924.jpg (599 KB, 1080x1547)
599 KB
599 KB JPG
>>1628665
RIP cagies
>>
>>1628665
Then the fag transforms everybody's lives into a nightmare so a lane of the street can be barely used by some hipsters.
>>
>>1628715
morons. extensive bike paths get used. nobody needs 1 little perfect strip. longer, unbroken bike paths lead to more riding
>>
Based mayor pete
COMPLETE THE TRANS AMERICAN RAILS TO TRAIL PROJECT. WE NEED IT
>>
>>1628743
Found it:

Traffic Performance and Road Space Allocation in Multimodal Urban Networks with an MFD Representation

https://trid.trb.org/view/1438414

This paper investigates traffic performance of multimodal urban networks with a multimodal Macroscopic Fundamental Diagram (mMFD) model and sheds light on how space allocation across modes (with attention to mixed and dedicated lanes), influences the performance of the whole network. The 3D-MFD, as the representation of a bimodal case of mMFD, relates the accumulation of two modes of transportation vehicles, which compete for limited space, to the traffic production, and it assesses the overall capacity of the network. By employing different networks with diverse lane allocation structures, the authors carry out extensive analysis on the properties of the 3D-MFD with insightful comparisons via micro-simulation of the city of Zurich, the city of San Francisco, and a set of abstract grid networks. Simultaneously, taking advantage of the simulation model, the authors create various network lane allocation layouts (the data of which are typically difficult to collect in the field), and evaluate the performance of dedicated bus lanes versus mixed lanes. Furthermore, the authors implement different space allocation percentages in the abstract grid network in order to provide comparable network structures. An analytical optimization model is carried out for the grid network, to estimate the optimal space allocation from a passenger mobility perspective and to validate the results obtained from the micro-simulation.

The same idea can be generalized to bicycles/rollerblades/skates/..., electric scooters/bikes/velomobiles/..., motorcycles/trikes/..., cars/pickups/vans..., buses/trucks..., trams or any other categories.
>>
>>1628749
Another article:

A Dynamic Network Approach for Multimodal Urban Mobility: Modeling, Pricing and Control

https://infoscience.epfl.ch/record/203720

It can also be used for congestion prevention, lane allocation in tolls, intersections, reversible lanes, ...
>>
>>1628729
Regressive taxation
>>
Gonna file this one under "Based"
>>
Amazing how the cageshills have a meltdown when you suggest not subsidizing cars at the expense of everything else.

Keep it up Pete.
>>
>>1628761
>communist buzz words
>>
>>1628665
>The expansion did not alleviate traffic congestion, it made it worse.
shows how stupid conservative thinking on this issue has been. build more roads! yeah great idea
>>
There is no such thing as "induced demand." It is a buzzword.
>>
>>1628781
>i dont understand simple terms
>>
>>1628715
Surely all that’s needed is a marked section of pavement next to the edge of the kerb on both sides of the road.
A one way RHD system along with signs would be easy.
If you need to cross the road, dismount and use the normal pedestrian crossings
>>
>>1628677
I take dick up my ass and no one has offered me shit, let alone some position in public office. Being gay barely gives you any oppression points these days.
>>
>>1628900
It's true. Unless you have non-white skin to go with it being gay does fuck all for you now.
>>
>>1628900
>after a decade of forcing people to think about the little poor faggot nobody gives a fuck about them
Shepherd, wolves, you know the story.
>>
>>1628872
>>
Based Pete
>>
I live in Portland this garbage is rampant here the us is too large for rail look at Amtrak if he really cared about humans he would be pushing zero population growth.
>>
>>1629015

yes but rail is a perfect fit for Oregon, especially with CA coming along with our HSR system Portland is the most natural and obvious expansion point. Only issue is crossing Shasta, which is just an engineering problem that can be solved once there's enough demand in the Cascades and CA systems. CA will already have a usable schedule for it as the San Joaquins move onto a more traditional SP-type schedule.
>>
I really don't like Biden. But Infrastructure is the 1 thing I really hope he does get accomplished. Trump promised to do this 4 years ago, but fucked us over.

Fix our fucking airports and rail for the love of god
>>
>>1628665
Fucking awesome! Now if only Canada could do the same.
>>
>>1629303
is Canadian infrastructure not good?
>>
>>1628729
I would support this if the money was actually likely to be redistributed (including indirect redistribution like infrastructure investment) to mitigate >>1628761 but it won't.
The problem with neoliberals is that they say "We should do this, the upsides are good and we can give money to the people who are unfairly disadvantaged to keep it fair", then they do the policy and don't give the money to the people who are unfairly disadvantaged. Those people then proceed to quite rationally get pissed off and vote them out, at which point the policy either dies or has the good part watered down and the bad part played up by the next party to come to power.

It's what you get when you mix having zero understanding of political economy with zero interest in actually helping people. You wind up taking the axe to your own supporters with the result that they're less likely to support you next time. Not because it's necessary and "tough decisions have to be made", but because your inner policy wonk didn't care about throwing a few dollars to the poor to offset the car tax so you never did it and now you're going to lose the next election in a completely avoidable fashion over a perfectly fine tax that you just didn't have the political skill to implement sustainably.
>>
>>1629373
Imagine America but worse
>>
>>1628665
If in a decade Buttigieg isn't at the Hague being tried for Crimes against Motorists I don't want to hear him talking the talk.
>>
>>1628665
More gibs for colored people. Business as usual.
Though they cant say cars are raycict cos Buttigieg himsel aren't gonna switch his armored limo or SUV for bicycle.
>>
>>1629604
https://www.washingtonian.com/2021/02/26/pete-buttigieg-spotted-wobbling-on-a-capital-bikeshare-bike/
Makes you think
>>
>>1629531
How?
>>
>>1629303
There's a lot of potential for connections from US to Canadian cities like Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver. Especially Vancouver.
>>
>>1629303
I thought Canada has public transportation as good as many European countries
>>
>>1628855
I think you mean
>modern conservative thinking
In the past this blind car-worship was enthusiastically endorsed by both parties. Even today most self-proclaimed liberals recognize the need for transit, love bike lanes, etc but cannot imagine living without a car or living in a place where a car is just a convenience.
I used to be trapped in the same line of thought until I lived in a town where I didn't need to drive the entire summer since the place was walkable and the trains were reliable. It was so relaxing never having to worry about traffic, accidents, maintenance, gas etc. Cars cause so much stress we just assume is normal.
Knowing things can be different is half the battle of course, accepting how our planning techniques to change is another matter entirely. Like how my parents think it'd be cool to improve transit but don't want to accept that the sprawl they live in could never have decent intervals unless they wanted to walk 30 minutes to the main road.
>>
>>1629605
Photo op
>>
>>1628898
>If you need to cross the road, dismount and use the normal pedestrian crossings
....yeah, i think ill just take a whole lane and ride in the road
>>
>>1628715
>>my city builds 1 mile of bike path downtown for $3.5 million
>>current year
>>path is nice but hardly ever gets used
>>no new bike paths have been or are being built
what flyover, shitville, pickup truck state is this?
>>
>>1628670
false how?
>>
>>1628872
kind of but you can think of "Induced demand" as demand that has been realized, or "generated", by improvements made to transportation infrastructure. Thus, induced demand generates the traffic that had been "pent-up" as latent demand.
>>
>>1629974
It's a word coined by academics to demonize something they do not like. There is only demand.
>>
>>1629983
>assuming this is in response to induced demand
There are a few ways of looking at this IMO:
You could think of it in terms of black and white. There is and will only ever be one type of demand and that is perfectly fine. But there are other necessities when building/planning/theorizing where demand needs to be categorized to allow for different constructs. For example, think about moving a human. We can use different modes of travel crawl/stagger/walk/run/etc. They all fall under the category of moving. But when you are planning an infrastructure where different types of movement need to be considered there needs to be terms created to allow for different types of movement. So the demand is for everyone to leave the bar at the same time. You could treat all the partons the same and assume they drank responsibly but in reality, they did not. This is why when leaving they might take different modes to achieve the goal of leaving the bar. When designing a bar in this case contractors will need to be aware that not everyone will leave in the same way. This is why you might see rails towards an exit, a larger hall/opening, or another safety measure because they have to account that possibly at some point someone might have had too much to drink and now are staggering out. I think the term can be applied when given correct settings.

tl;dr the word is fine when used appropriately.
>>
>>1628749
>>1628751
Somebody from the gayjewsphere suggested a category for autonomous vehicles so bizarre accidents involving them interacting with human drivers don't happen.
>>
>>1628670
it is objectively true
>>
>>1631414
Increasing roadway capacity doesn't cause congestion. Adding users does. Cities have grown in population over time and roadway capacity hasn't met demand.
>>
>>1628780
it honestly is baffling what people will say about non car-focused infrastructure, even on this board. I assume that the people here on /n/ who say this shit are massive trolls
>>
>>1631419
so what you're saying is 26 lanes isn't enough and they should add some more?
>>
>>1631428
No
>>
>>1631434
oh ok just checking
>>
>>1631419
>Cities have grown in population over time and roadway capacity hasn't met demand.
But anon, why does demand for car infrastructure increase with an increasing population? Why is it just a give state of the universe that more people means more cars? Couldn't it possibly indicate that the way we build heavily incentivizes/forces people to have cars, and thus by continually expanding/improving the car infrastructure we are exacerbating the problem? Do you really think that adding more lanes to LA or Atlanta is going to fix anything at all?
>>
>>1628729
Best of luck to the Democrats in 2022.
>>
Build suburban to downtown commuter rail. Get in your car or other transit. Go to station. Sit in a forward facing seat. Pull down the tray. Relax until your stop.

Lefties always want to stack people into commie blocks and have them move around without cars. Instesd of providing transit for how people Are and want to live.
>>
>>1631472
>Do you really think that adding more lanes to LA or Atlanta is going to fix anything at all?
Yes
>>
>>1631498
At some point, we're just going to have China levels of congestion with a lack of any rail alternative
>>
>>1631506
Bro don't you want to get some fire mixtapes on MARTA?
>>
File: 1613398965790.png (73 KB, 411x565)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>1628699
>and 14th in line on the presidential succession list
>>
>>1631506
>At some point, we're just going to have China levels of congestion with a lack of any rail alternative
Maybe we should stop building more housing when our roads,trains,and busses are maxed out of capacity?
>>
>>1631530
>t. Boomer
>>
Fuck yes. I hated this fag before but if he actually gets shit done I would suck his dick. Fuck boomertrash Americans and their zoomshit inheritors of the world view and lifestyle. Start genociding cagers immediately. They've destroyed this country long enough
>>
>>1628900
Try wearing a dress and taking estrogen if you want more oppression points these days.
>>
Good. Finally our DOT wants to reverse the trend of car subsidization.
>>
File: file.png (92 KB, 745x392)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
Like others in this thread, I'll be believe it when I see it. Oh look, no support for raising the gas tax. Who is surprised?

Actually changing transport/infrastructure in the US would require both 'carrots' to entice people to do something other than driving, and 'sticks' to push them out of their cars. The former is attractive and relatively easy so that's why we get positive noises from progressive politicians, but taking concrete steps to try and discourage people from driving would be incredibly unpopular which is why we're not going to see real changes any time soon. Remember, people are generally in favor of public transit, cycling, walking, etc for other people or as options, but almost nobody wants to give up their cars.
>>
Fags on here are so easy to pacify
>>
Lol, cagetrolls having a meltdown.
>>
>Like others in this thread, I
You mean yourself samefagging ad infinitum.
>>
>>1628665
>Elsewhere in Texas, Houston’s Katy Freeway was expanded to 26 lanes between 2008 and 2011 at a cost of $2.8 billion in order to alleviate severe traffic congestion. The expansion did not alleviate traffic congestion, it made it worse. Travel times increased by 30% during the morning commute and 55% during the evening commute between 2011 and 2014.
How much did traffic increase during that same time?
How much traffic came from other roads i.e. people abandoning alternate routes for the new wider highway?
Understand this guy wants to apply this argument to city streets as well, not just 20+ lane highways.

>Buttigieg is also in favor of investing in high speed rail, pointing out that Japan and China are far in advance of America on such efficient transport modes
So more handouts to Amtrak that won't even result in new rail being built?
>>
>>1628715
>>my city builds 1 mile of bike path downtown for $3.5 million
>>organization behind it wanted to "do it right"
Which city council member's cousin's construction company built the bike lane?
>>
>>1628775
What he actually means:
"We need to make it harder to have and use a car in White countries to reduce their standard of living as an act of social justice, while pretending it's about helping the poor and fixing the environment"
>>
>>1631588
So we should build more housing,knock down freeways for more housing just sp that traffic gets really bad? Inb4 you say public transportation it'll get worse too. Serious question, when is a city full? Even at full capacity more housing should be built?
>>
>>1631688
Jeez, Texas has been growing in population they've had a lot of housing built up too. Are they sure the new residents weren't the cause for increased traffic?
>>
>>1631691
this
>>
> How much traffic came from other roads i.e. people abandoning alternate routes for the new wider highway?

That’s part of why widening highways induces demand and makes traffic worse, defeating the point of widening the highway.
You’re slowly catching on.

Hopefully we start adding bike lanes to a lot of our overly wide city streets.
>>
>>1631869
>That’s part of why widening highways induces demand
It does not "induce" demand
>>
>>1628729
They already do, it's called the Gas Tax. The more u drive the more u pay.
>>
>>1628898
>marked section of pavement next to the edge of the kerb on both sides of the road
the roads are garbage and people will just use it as parking.
>>
>>1631869
is that near silver lake?
>>
>>1631889
There is no law saying you cant be taxed more
Jesus himself said render into Cesar, all you money belong to government who made these money, so its morally right to tax all your money. Its famous Christian morals, foundation of European civilization. Pay taxes and shud up.
>>
>>1631498
the connector in Atlanta is already 16 or so lanes. That's in fucking downtown Atlanta, next to multiple universities, hospitals and skyscrapers. There is literally nowhere to expand that section of highway even if it were the right decision. And it is gridlock even on off hours on Tuesdays. More lanes do not solve anything.
>>
>>1632094
You keep thinking more leans only means adding lanes rather than building new highways entirely. An outer bypass would have improved Atlanta traffic substantially.
>>
>>1632094
also, not to forget the giant clusterfuck that they just finished building with the interchange with 285 and 400. That's going to be a disaster.
>>
>>1632100
How? It was replacing an outdated, dangerous design that had exceeded its designed capacity
>>
>>1632094
Always cracks me up to see people saying a road needs more lanes.
The cities with the most car infrastructure all have the worst traffic.
Adding lanes to freeways makes traffic worse.
>>
>>1631947
Not that anon, but yes that's sunset blvd just past silver lake blvd.
>>
>>1632108
see >>1632099
>>
>>1629605
oh no not like this
>>1632185
>>
>>1632271
Atlanta’s got freeways running all over, plus ultra wide lanes, and traffic’s a nightmare.
Cant pave your way out of traffic, you just need people using cars less.
>>
>>1631869
So much comfy greenness and nature. So much sun unobstructed. So much blue sky. God I love living in low-rise California.
>>
>>1631869
How would a net increase in the total amount of lanes increase traffic?
>>
Cagetrolls are really reaching ITT.
It’s hilarious.
>>
How will his armored suburban security detail follow him then?
>>
>>1632435
>Atlanta’s got freeways running all over
It really doesn't and that's the problem. Atlanta is the southeastern transportation hub with little redundant routes nor any way to bypass the city for people driving through. There was about to be an outer perimeter built to alleviate the pressure on 285 but it got cancelled by Sonny Purdue
>>
>>1631419
Capacity and demand are not linear. Also you physically cannot have 26 lanes on every street so you will have bottlenecks leading to congestion anyways (or create even more lanes to go around the bottlenecks. A percentage increase of usage will have more than 1 percent increase in congestion on higher usage levels (logistic distribution)
>>
>>1632045
That was from Paul's Roman letter, not Jesus, no?
>>
>>1631881
Who is Say.
>>
>>1632738
>Capacity and demand are not linear.
Irrelevant desu
>>
>>1632738
The arguing you’re arguing with is making fallacies and bad faith arguments.

Traffic engineers determined expanding freeways makes traffic worse after doing decades of studies. The guy you’re responding to is just trolling.
>>
>>1632797
>Traffic engineers determined expanding freeways makes traffic worse after doing decades of studies.
No they don't.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1617652466037.jpg (56 KB, 1080x778)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>
>>1631869
You’ve got to wonder why they thought making a street that wide was a good idea in the first place.
>>
>>1634096
Because it's a popular thoroughfare
>>
>>1628665
>26 lanes
we really are fucked if we keep thinking that more lanes = better
>>
>>1634114
The 26 lane portion is at the approach to a major interchange where there are a bunch of lanes splitting off and converging to/from various ramps, plus the HOV/HOT lanes or whatever they're called. There's not a continuous 26 lane freeway there.
>>
>>1634114
>>1634135
And I'm pretty sure you have to include the frontage roads to get to that total
>>
>>1631691
cager cope
>>
>>1629664
Melt and thaw cycles
>>
>>1628775
I'd like to see him try and develop car free living in Alaska or Wyoming.
>>
>>1628665
Based
>>
>>1629854
really, really depends on the city. toronto has OK coverage but every single level of government drags their heels on transit development to the point where another downtown subway line has been discussed for like forty years. and now it's basically too late to build because density has increased so much.
>>
>>1628683
Based Terry
>>
>>1628729
Is there going to be any other way to fund all the highways and roads once EVs become ubiquitous?
The gas tax generates less revenue every year these days.
>>
>>1628665
fucking based. They'll never actually do this though
>>
>>1635946
just print more money
>>
File: residential street.png (3.23 MB, 1595x771)
3.23 MB
3.23 MB PNG
>>1635614
>and now it's basically too late to build because density has increased so much.
toronto is basically entirely single family housing, even in the "downtown" its just conversions, and the occasional apartment building driving up density.
pic related downtown toronto
>>
>>1637577
cozy
>>
>>1637198
Bullshit story bro.
>>
>>1637577
Rowhouses are considered multifamily in the US.
But Toronto has more towers going up than just about anywhere in the western world.
>>
>>1637597
>But Toronto has more towers going up than just about anywhere in the western world.
in very select areas adjacent to rapid transit or the waterfront
>>
>>1637577
no, you're right, but i thought where they want to run subways are already totally packed. i could be wrong.
>>
sure he says that and will give tax breaks to waymo faglords clogging the roads
t. ex waymo employee
>>
>>1628665
Fuck Pete booyjej.
>Figuratively, of course.
>>
>>1631869
It would look way sexier if that was a two-lane road.
>>
>>1638392
It's funny because """they""" claim I'm full of shit too when I tell them investing in protected bike lanes is a waste of money because where I'm at our bike lanes are always vacant
>>
>1638392
This is the most seething post I’ve ever seen in my life.
>>
>1 guy from Tulsa, OK thinks he knows “the majority of this country”

Cagetrolls always make me laugh.
>>
>>1638426
seems like you're doing all the seething round here lil bitch
>>
>1638432
weird way to say "i'm a loser poorfag"
>>
>>1638426
>>1638439
>this level of insecurity about other people's money
I'm willing bet you make 30k a year tops.
>>
>>1637577
This is the perfect level of density. Not mcmansion hell, but not soul crushing glass towers, either
>>
jannies are kikes
>>
>>1628665
>office seal looks like a halo
blessed
>>
>>1632099
>>1632271
That's literally what I-285 is for. Tractor-trailer rigs are not allowed to use the downtown freeways I-75/85 or I-20 unless they are originating or terminating their trip inside the Perimeter. It doesn't help, 75/85 is still a shitshow and 285 isn't any better.

>(O.C.G.A. 40-6-51)
>Truck traffic is not allowed inside the perimeter of Atlanta. All trucks traveling on I-75, I-85, or I-20 must take I-285 around the city, except for the following reasons:
>1.Pick up or delivery to or from a shipper physically located inside I-285;
>2.Going to or from the carrier's terminal facilities physically located inside I-285;
>3.Going to or from a repair facility for service which is physically located inside I-285;
>4.A driver going to or from his residence located within the perimeter.
>>
>>1639570
Traffic flow is fine unless an accident. Which the HERO trucks have greatly cut down on.
>>
>>1628665
OMG idiot says obvious thing that has been obvious and a mantra in the industry for the last decade! oh we are not worthy lets praise this emtpy headed fag!
>>
File: Figure1_770.jpg (588 KB, 770x595)
588 KB
588 KB JPG
>>1639543
manhattan pretty much perfected urban density, the picture you are looking at in toronto is suburbs, just old ones
>>
>>1629510
>then they do the policy and don't give the money to the people who are unfairly disadvantaged.
To be fair this is caused by hte way federal funds are apportioned. Fed gives money to state and the state decides where to put it and whoopsie! Guess what it all goes to rich white neighborhoods.
>>
>>1631656
It won't happen because the US is too fucking big compared to places like Europe or Japan. There's too many reasons for someone not in a dense urban environment to try and rely on slow, shitty public transportation, in the same way rural areas still use shitty internet until a decent satellite option exists.
>>
>>1635946
>once EVs become ubiquitous?
They charge you more to register/own an electric vehicle in most states to 'make up' for lost gas revenue. It's the stupidest fucking thing in the world.
>>
>>1639672
OH SAY CAN YOU SEE
>>
File: 1618638806238.jpg (73 KB, 1000x1000)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>1631691
Spot on.
>>
>>1640243
>teh j3wz are making me give up my based trad suburban lifestyle!
"t3h jew" wants you to have that house and car, on credit, you dumb /pol/tard
fuck off from /n/
>>
>>1631691
actual schizo tier
>>
>>1640252
They actually support both. Make themselves wealthier. While driving everyone into the poor house. So they will accept bolshivism later. Which they will be running and use to protect their wealth.
>>
>>1632470
>It really doesn't and that's the problem.
you're right dude, look at the lack of highway coverage here.
>>
>>1640448
ah yes the classic rich implement communism to hoard greater wealth trick thank you for redpilling me on this
>>
>>1639672
Why not just toll highways?
>>
>>1640479
because if there isn't infrastructure to allow people to travel without drivings cars that just becomes a tax for people having to exist
>>
>>1640466
Rich implementation of communism ensures they're in charge. Now they control all the wealth. By being more equal than others. Their positions get the penthouse, the police escorted town car, the vacation houses, etc.
>>
>>1640466
I lol’d.

>>1640493
No, it’s a tax on using that highway. Just like we charge fares for trains.
An unrolled highway is like a train with 0% farebox recovery, but not as good economic benefits and causes way more environmental damage.
>>
>>1640556
>An unrolled highway is like a train with 0% farebox recovery, but not as good economic benefits
Having untolled highway access promotes mobility which provides economic utility
>>
>>1640556
>No, it’s a tax on using that highway.
and if someone is forced to use the highway to drive to work, get groceries, do anything, then my point still stands if people have no choice BUT to use it
>>
>>1640895
That’s why you stop designing everything around cars, so Americans can have choices.
Dumbass
>>
File: g6sbmGx.jpg (327 KB, 900x900)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
>>1645417
Waiter, I'll have blackpill propaganda with a racist screed.

>>1640498
george orwell animal farm iphone venezuela
based redpilled cringe cope JIDF bluepill blackpill dindu seethe dilate libtard communism killed 100 billion

See, I can be just like both of you

>>>/pol/
>>
>>1628665
If dementia Joe can get us high speed rail from Boston to Miami, DC to Chicago, Atlanta to LA via Texas, and from LA to Seattle I'll take back everything bad I ever said about him.
>>
>>1646399
Both of them were correct.
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (23 KB, 400x214)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>1645417
Mass transit within cities is a lost cause for the reasons you mentioned but there's no reason why we couldn't replace most domestic air travel with trains. No TSA, no no-fly list, no cramped overhead bins, no turbulence.

Plus that'd make it easier to develop high-speed cattle cars when the day for that finally comes.
>>
>>1640498
>>1646445
how fucking braindead do you have to be believe this?
it is really sad that you are so fucking stupid and historically illiterate that you think the RICH of all people would implement communism. yeah let me trade in my private jet with underage hookers for... an uber black
>>
>>1646442
No worries, no one values your opinion either way.
>>
>>1646531
If you know you will own the party then why not? It's literally just going from owning 90% of everything to controlling 99% of everything
>>
Lol at the carshills ITT claiming design for human beings is a bad idea
>>
>>1646539
That guy's a fucking rube
>>
>>1631691
this, white people were struggling hard and living in squalor before the 1950s.
>>
>>1631705
>Are they sure the new residents weren't the cause for increased traffic?
that and a new highway
provide alternatives and people will use them if they're similar in quality
>>
>>1646448
>. No TSA, no no-fly list
you're quite naive if you think there wouldn't be an equivalent TSA for trains and a no-ride list if trains were the dominant long distant method of travel.
>>
>>1646583
I'll believe it when I see it, kid.

Cope.
>>
>>1646586
k
>>
File: DSCN0958.jpg (1.32 MB, 5120x2880)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>1646589
k is for kool, trains are kool
>>
>>1646586
You realize planes used to not have TSA and no fly lists right?
>>
>>1646448
> there's no reason why we couldn't replace most domestic air travel with trains
in the US most distances are too long for trains to make sense (economically) considering how unpopulated most of the country is. East Coast, sure, there it makes sense. Cross country? Mid West? Most of the west coast? Not so sure

>>1646583
there isn't an equivalent in Europe afaik, why would there be in the US? yeah americans are super paranoid, but the idea of train terrorism in general is never as dangerous as plane terrorism
>>
>>1646583
>an equivalent TSA for trains
Wouldn't that just be the TSA but more of them?
>>
>>1646539
>If you know you will own the party then why not?
because the implementation of communism will severely lower their standard of living and access to wealth.
do you actually think a single billionaire on earth would trade their position with that of kim jung un? he has to beg for chinese knockoffs of goods middle class westerners take for granted
>>
I don't see any reason airlines couldn't invest in regional HSR. It gives faster trip times and people would pay more to take HSR because it's roomier and you get views.
>>
>>1646673
I don't see why car companies couldn't invest in urban trams. They're better than buses and people would pay more to take a tram because it's smoother and quieter.
>>
>>1629302
He didn't fuck you over, the people who are in power now fucked you over and they're going to do it again.
>>
>>1631656
Why do you think the government has to right to use 'sticks' to get us to adjust our behaviour?
>>
>>1646982
I don’t, that’s why I oppose minimum parking requirements, oil subsidies and urban freeways.
>>
>>1632740
>Matthew 22:15-22
>Mark 12:13-17
>Luke 20:20-26
Spies and Pharisees asked him in an attempt to get him in a catch-22, he asks for coin and says to hand to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God
>>
>>1646985
Parking minimums are pointless I agree, mostly because in areas without them every condo/apartment that gets built has a huge parking lot anyways because the buyers want it, same with retail. It just means more lots get bought and turned into parking decks. Oil subsidies help make literally every product cheaper. Urban freeways are essential for the supply chains of every single business in a city.
>>
>A new study of Buffalo, which cut parking requirements citywide in 2017, shows that many developers will indeed build less parking if given the chance. The work, set for publication in the Journal of the American Planning Association, finds that mixed-use developers, in particular, “readily took advantage of the newfound possibility to include less off-street parking.” The 14 mixed-use projects tracked by the study provided 53 percent less parking than previously required — with four projects building no parking at all.

So removing parking minimums results in MUCH less parking. Nice.
>>
Vancouver has no inner-city freeway and is absolutely thriving. More North American cities should take note.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-freeway-not-built-1.4428986
>>
>>1647028
Lol Canada sucks, even my Canadian friends hate it.
>>
>>1647028
Trans Canada hwy. Maple Leaf 1 runs right through town.
>>
>>1647031
>Source: dude trust me

Lol.
>>
>>1647037
Nobody wants to live in Canada it sucks no matter how hard you try to convince people.
>>
>>1628665
>“One thing that I don’t think a lot of Americans are aware of is how far behind we are on bicycle and pedestrian safety,” said Buttigieg

The Feds do Interstate transportation, not local. What's he planning, Bike Route 66?
>>
>>1647024
>hows that many developers will indeed build less parking if given the chance.

of course they will, not building is cheaper.
>>
>>1647024
Still means hundreds more cars on the roads, crammed into a small area, all leaving for work at the same time.
>>
>>1647024
Shuffling off parking to the streets and making it a government problem.
>>
Damn, cagetrolls are trying hard to astroturf this thread. I wonder if someone's paying them.
>>
>>1647067
Lol yeah we’re all paid shills for the Koch brothers right? Or are we Russian bots? I can’t remember who you guys’ George soros is.
>>
>>1634959
Juneau's actually relatively dense and walkable.
>>
>>1646646
>why would there be in the US? yeah americans are super paranoid, but the idea of train terrorism in general is never as dangerous as plane terrorism
It's not the idea of train terrorism, it's the fact that 9/11 fucked this nation beyond repair. It's already destroyed any sense of the general citzen maintaining privacy at all. The majority of this country would just flat out accept TSA screening and requirements without even blinking. Not to mention that even if they didn't implement it, all it would take is one incident were something happened.

>>1646650
probably
>>
>>1647089
I don’t think Cheyenne could ever get dense because they have the highway parking minimums in the country
They have something like 4 parking spaces for every human
>>
The Katy Freeway is a fucking nightmare and it doesn't even improve traffic flow.
>>
File: transcanada.png (349 KB, 899x839)
349 KB
349 KB PNG
>>1647032
a highway going through the suburban eastern edge of your city is not "right through town" you retard. Montreal and toronto have highways in the heart of downtown, next to the skyscrapers
>>
>>1647512
I don’t know if you noticed, but basically every cagetroll post is an obvious lie.
>>
Steadily, America is turning away from the car-only infrastructure paradigm.
>>
>>1647908
It’s actually not.
>>
>>1647512
Man, I missed the turn to go from Tsawwassen to Langley/Abbotsford the other day andand accidentally got onto 17 going north and had to detour for like 30 mins to get back down to highway 10
I hate Vancouver so much
>>
>>1631691
> us
> high quality of life
Cringe
>>
File: Conceptual-diagram.jpg (87 KB, 850x892)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>1628665
In urban transport, neoliberalism has produced a vicious circle. In unequal and stratified societies, car ownership has become an important a status signifier, and a tool to avoid contact with lower income groups . A focus on cars and driving has led to lower investments in public transport.
Declining public transport quality has driven away passengers, while the utilitarian need for cars (or for private car-sharing services) has become stronger, especially among the financial elites. Governments have rushed to accommodate the travel needs and desires of these elites, ignoring the rest of the population.
This loop stems from a core issue: the withdrawal of the state as an active agent in equalizing access to the city and in providing public services and infrastructure systems.
>>
>>1648029
is this your diagram? Like the message but the presentation needs some work. Like I'm assuming the starting point is at Neoliberalism, then progressing down the red loop and repeating for a few cycles before moving on to the green loop. However, this is not communicated to the reader at all.
>>
>>1648029
If you’re broke just say it
>>
>>1647933
Same shit happens here in Atlanta. We have freeways all through town but if you can’t get 5 lanes over in time to make your turn you have to add 15 minutes onto your trip.
>>
>>1648041
I recently moved from Atlanta to Charlotte and this place is going to be Atlanta in a decade or so. It has so many interchanges where you have to merge and switch lanes in 70+ mph traffic within a few hundred feet or tough shit. Although my current favorite is the merge from 277 to 77 north, where the entrance lane dead ends into a barricade wall, so if you can't merge then there's literally nowhere to go.
>>
>>1648037
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/327709647_Why_Do_Some_BRT_Systems_in_the_Global_South_Fail_to_Perform_or_Expand
>>
>>1628665
This nigga also thinks his asshole is designed for human beings and not shitting.

Really gets those raisins activated.
>>
>>1648041
>but if you can’t get 5 lanes over in time to make your turn you have to add 15 minutes onto your trip
This never happens unless you're retarded

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.