[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: unnamed.jpg (75 KB, 512x355)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
What city in Germany has the nicest rail transit?
>>
probably Strasbourg
>>
Köln
>>
>>1626881
>nicest
idk i dont care
>best
Berlin
>>
>>1626881
Wuppertal
>>
File: Naumburg Tram.jpg (65 KB, 400x300)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
Naumburg, no contest.
>>
>>1626887
let go
>>
>>1627262

ELSASS-LOTHRINGEN
>>
>>1626929
Köln/Bonn Stadtbahn
16 is kino
18 goes to istanbul
>>
>>1627241
pls stop liking my town, I feel undeservedly appreciated. also our tram network consists of one route three kilometers long, it's more of a quaint novelty than anything else despite having regular daily service, althrough some people do use it to get to the outlying train station.
>>
I would say Hannover has the nicest system by far.
>>
File: index.jpg (12 KB, 275x183)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1627431
coincidentally, some Köln B-wagens now work in Istanbul
>>
>>1627431
>18 goes to istanbul
Based and Ebertplatzpilled
>>
>>1626881
Dresden, easy. Also used to have cargo trams
>>
>>1630829
it looks like a truck trying to disguise as a tram but failing
>>
>>1630903
>hello, fellow trams. We must let the buses in or we will not survive
>>
whereever they still have Gothawagen ofc
>>
based B-Wagen god tier
>>
In the past it was Munich, but I think they have replaced all their old trams.
>>
>>1631150
not all of them, just most of them sadly
>>
>>
Probably Berlin.
>>
Bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump
>>
>>1634355
That's Nordhausen, right?
>>
>>1631150
they still have some old metro trains with wood and brown plastic, its kino as fuck with the old metro stations
>>
Hamburg
>>
File: flying-train.png (1.05 MB, 1194x994)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>>1626963
The Wuppertal Schwebebahn has soul but to call it the best or nicest is a stretch
>>
Let this thread die
>>
>>1626929
>>1627431
Considering the 66 is also based, wouldn't that rather be Bonn than Köln?
Don't forget Bonn also got an additional regular rail station at the United Nations a few years back.
>>
>>1639935
bump
>>
>>1640572
I'm >>1627431
Yes the 66 is also based but the good areas of the 16 and 18 are the overland sections that are mostly in cologne teritorry. The southern part of the lines have different line numbers, although they are not displayed on trains bound through to/from cologne. The best parts, such as the refinery are all on the northern parts. But Bonn really excells in station design and the 66 covers most of them, with the old green ones being the best train of the combined system.
It's gonna get real comfy when the 66 gets an interchange with the cable car. Though the 66 mostly operates outside of Bonn and a connection over Beuel should be created. If they would follow the original plans for an extension in the south and have an extended 16 that would be comfy.
>>
>>1640572
Is there a greater capital than Bonn?
>>
>>1626881
Berlin. Nothing can top the number of quality trains it has.
>>
>>1640801
>Berlin
Nicht auch nur einmal.

Berlin is the German city I'd want to live in the least, and I'm 100% public transit for anything >3km.
>>
>>1630829
>>1630903
>NOOOO! YOU CAN'T JUST PUT AN AUTOMOBILE ON RAILS AND CALL IT A TRAM!!!111
>haha CarGoTram
>>
>>1637069
Stop trying to make the shitty hamburg ubahn happen. It's not going to happen.
>>
>>1640755
No.
>>
>>1640755
>>1640801
>Bonn
>Berlin
Well, Bonn gets a new non-stop train connecting Berlin with it.
Doesn't even stop in Hanover.
Probably mostly for the public officials commuting between Bonn and Berlin.

https://ga.de/news/wirtschaft/regional/ice-sprinter-von-bonn-nach-berlin-so-faehrt-die-neue-schnellverbindung_aid-57449001
>>
>>1626963
This. When it's about "nicest" Wuppertal Schwebebahn wins.
>>
>>1640806
It's not even an automobile.
The CarGoTram is a freight tram that uses existing tram lines to take car components from freight train terminal to the current Volkswagen factory in Dresden, called the Gläserne Manufaktur (Transparent Factory).
The city of Dresden was very happy to see the investment of VW into the city, as well as the jobs it would create. Residents didn't want a loud, polluting factory in the city though, so a compromise was reached.
The factory would be forbidden from using pneumatic tools, and any heavy duty fabrication would be conducted off-site.
Part of the plans was to stop HGVs from clogging up the roads. Instead, the plan of using the CarGoTram for last mile delivery came up, and components, except for the monocoque body, would be delivered to the factory by the tram. The rolling stock consisted of recycled Tatra T4 bogies and motors.

Anyway... the factory produced the Volkswagen Phaeton from 2002 until 2016. The luxury sedan didn't really sell much, and was made famous for its ridiculous devaluation that occurred upon purchase and was astronomical per kilometre driven. The car was also notable for its W10 configuration diesel engine, a technology which would later be implied in the Bugatti Veyron (a VW Group brand).
In 2017, the factory was retooled and started manufacturing the VW e-Golf. The factory made 8 e-Golfs a day, while the main factory in Wolfsburg would make another 8, totalling 16 a day...
The e-Golf stopped being sold in 2019 and production of the e-Golf continued until the end of the order backlog for the model.
Starting December 2020, the factory started manufacturing the VW ID.3 and due to the difference in production and component requirements, the CarGoTram stopped being needed and was mothballed.
>>
>>1643915
Why does it take 25 minutes to cover 25 km between Bonn and Cologne? That's just 60 km/h.
>>
Zurich
>>
Can some actually answer this thread?

There's more than a dozen medium sized cities in Germany, each with their own rail transit system, are they all more or less the same? Are there any that stand out better than others?
>>
>>1644212
Are you talking about:
>„Zwischen Bonn und Berlin wird die einfache Fahrt vier Stunden und 25 Minuten dauern“, so Krauß. Zwischen Köln und Berlin liege die Fahrtzeit knapp unter vier Stunden
?

The regular timetable journey time of ICE between Bonn and Cologne via Brühl is in the mid-20s.
Vmax is mostly 160 km/h, but around Cologne it drops into the two digit range, and there is also a lot of traffic.
Furthermore don't forget about timetable buffers to avoid "Verzögerungen im Betriebsablauf" crashing the whole system.
Especially around Cologne that's probably a few percent more than elsewhere.
>>
>>1643953
Ah schade. I would have loved to go see the CarGoTram in action. Do you know of any Straßebahn museums around Dresden? Thanks for the info anyway.
>>
>>1644240
>tfw the 16 was faster when it was build than an ice
taking the train to cologne is abysimal but the east is even worse yet they're building an s-bahn to slow it down even more
>>
File: Gringe.jpg (8 KB, 250x202)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1645616
>tfw the 16 was faster when it was build than an ice
Yeah and you can see all that nice industry near Wesseling while taking the 16, isn't that worth it.
>>
>>1640572
>Considering the 66 is also based
Based and Telekompilled
>>
File: astrastattüstra.jpg (163 KB, 918x1209)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>1626881
>>
>>1651891
I would vote for chancellor Sonneborn, but anything below him in that party is completely retarded.

>>1650019
More like Siegburgpilled.
>>
File: 2021_bahnen_in_koeln.jpg (2.56 MB, 2953x2085)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB JPG
>>1626929
I am living in Köln and I am constantly SEETHING at the KVB. Yes, the station network is pretty tight, yes you can go pretty much anywhere in Köln with KVB and yes I like the layout of the trams.

but HOLY FUCK am I mad at them for fucking up the whole city archive collapse ten years ago. I am living at Chlodwigplatz and we have a fucking humungous subway station that services one single car train every 30 mins or so north and southbound because they still didnt continue building the connection to Heumarkt, because they fuck around in court, who caused the archive over the construction site to collapse ten years ago.

So there is still not a quick north-south subway in Köln, since Line 5 stops at Heumarkt and turns around and line 17 stops at Severinstraße and turns around. Meaning that to go anywhere you have to take 12/15 wich is on street level for the most part and shares traffic lights with cars on the ring road.

FUCK them all.
>>
>>1653745
at least the 16 will become a viable option between bonn and cologne once it's finished but should've happend 10 years ago
many commuters take the 16 to bonn central station the mainline to cologne and then get back into the 16
what happens to ubierring?
>>
>>1652231
>Siegburgpilled
Absolutely disgusting, I'd rather be in Sankt Augustin.
>>1654042
Absolutely dumb, you can get to Cologne from three railway stations in Bonn, no need to take the 16 to any of em.
>>
>>1634355
reject modernity
embrace tradition
>>
>>1652231
Die Partei or if reddit were a party
>>
>>1655972
Rettich stinkt vom Kopfe her.
Die Partei eher vom Unterbau.
>>
>>1655973
möglich habe sonnenborn noch nie reden gehört, doch kann ironische satire überhaupt noch mit der clownswelt mithalten? letztendlich ist ja der gesamte parlamentarismus ein kropf
besten nahverkehr hat übrigens Wien
>>
>>1655978
War einmal auf einer seiner Lesungen.
Ist insgesamt ein netter Typ, und sicherlich nicht ganz so unfähig wie Politiker es im Allgemeinen sind.
Gewählt habe ich seinen Laden trotzdem noch nie. Wie man an der Fahnenflucht seiner Nummer 2 zur Grünen-Fraktion im EU-Parlament sehr gut erkennen kann: zu recht.
>>
>>1634355
Is it strange that this image arouses me?
>>
>>1643923
>This. When it's about "nicest" Wuppertal Schwebebahn wins.
No objection there, but Wuppertal is still too much of an automobile city.
The valley is fucking ugly with the Schwebebahn being its single saving grace.
>>
>>1626881
Regensburg by a Longshot. It's an old train station combined with modern architecture in the form of a glass bridge from which you can oversee all the trains. The train station is not so small that you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere neither too big to feel overwhelmed. There is also a shopping mall at the right side of the bridge with an actual Italian ice cream stands. Just look at this picture, you feel like the MC when you come to this train station
>>
>>1661080
>getting overwhelmed by a train station
How the fuck does that happen?
If you know the platform you need to go to, there is not a single station in Germany that should "overwhelm" you. There is guidance from the main entrance to every platform.
If you don't know the platform (and don't have a mobile to look it up), there is a giant departure time board at the main entrance of every big station, allowing you to find out which platform you need to go to.
>Regensburg
A town with a single railway station. Okay.
>>
>>1634355
STEAMED
>>
Leipzig has a nice tram system, the S-bahn is a bit limited but the Hbf is cool as fuck
>>
>>1661405

I think Anon is just trying to talk up his hometown railway station. If that kind of autism isn't /n/, I don't know what is.
On the topic of overwhelming train stations, the one big example I can think of is Berlin Hbf. It's just weirdly connected levels on levels on levels with shops crammed in so the walkways are extra crowded with customers. And god forbid that you have tight timing to switch trains from Hbf Tief to Hbf Hoch.

>>1661528

Yeah, I commuted to Leipzig for a few months back in 2019 and was pretty happy with the public transit. The S-Bahn took me from my podunk town right into the city center and the tram got you everywhere else. Now if only they had more S-Bahn carriages...
>>
>>1661560
Yeah the trams go everywhere. I was conscientiously buying tix but no one else does apart from old people so I'm considering my fate evasion part of Germany's war reparations
>>
>>1661560
>Berlin Hbf.
God i fucking hate it so much. I was so excited when the U5 extension opened up because I wanted to sperg out at the new stations, but I quickly realised how useless the added connection was because who in their right mind would want to go to Hbf, or for that matter, any stop between Frankfurter Tor and Hbf? A simple 1 stop extension from Warschauer and FTor would have made for a far more useful connection imo.
>>
>>1626887
Fpbp but it's Straßburg not "Strasbourg"
>>
>>1661560
>Berlin Hbf
>overwhelming
It's a god-awful station (>>1662005), but by no means "overwhelming".
Actually it almost feels "provinziell".
>>
File: karlsruhe_tram.jpg (102 KB, 760x570)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
Karlsruhe's public transit is usually quite based, but looks like it's blowing up at the moment:

https://www.ka-news.de/region/karlsruhe/Karlsruhe~/schaeden-an-den-schienenstrecken-stadtbahnbetrieb-in-karlsruhe-stillgelegt;art6066,2665627
>>
>>1644311
https://www.strassenbahnmuseum-dresden.de/

Here you go, fren. Although I don't know if they have a CarGo Tram. Afaik the CarGo Trams were not operated by DVB but instead by their only little company.

Also for proper trains:

https://www.igbwdresden-altstadt.de/index.php?lang=DE

If you plan a visit please consider that these two museums are quite literally at opposite ends of the city
>>
File: B9Etx1bCMAELMSW.png (178 KB, 794x561)
178 KB
178 KB PNG
Dresden by a longshot
>>
Duisburg because we still use the Stadtbahnwagen B(ased)
>>
>>1670773
Das beste an Duisburg ist, dass man relativ schnell von dort wegkommt.
>>
>>1669809

>"only Casanova came more often"
fucking KEK
>>
>>1670795
Wenn man sich den QR-Code anschaut, wohl eher /basiert.
>>
>>1670773
>Stadtbahnwagen B
So like half of NRW?
>>
>>1669809
is that ad real?
wtf lmao
>>
>>1630829
this one went out of service after vw stopped producing the e-Golf in Dresden
>>
File: 1621426985408.jpg (16 KB, 412x343)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>1671343
yes
t. east german
>>
Dachau
>>
>>1670773
Aren't those approaching retirement?
40-45 years appears to be the time limit before they get "recycled".
>>
>>1640804

Hallo Ronny
>>
>>1675960
Looks like it.
https://www.extra-tipp-am-sonntag.de/niederrhein/duisburg/neue-fahrzeuge-fuer-die-u79_aid-39155359
>Noch rund fünf Jahre werden die Bahnen des Typs „B80“ auf der U79-Strecke zwischen Bahnhof Meiderich und Düsseldorf, Universität Ost im Einsatz sein. Dann, ab 2024, sollen den Fahrgästen auf dieser Städteverbindung moderne Einsatzfahrzeuge zur Verfügung stehen,
>>
>>1644239
yes, they vary a lot. service time, schedules, coverage of the city, fares, the trains.

it is hard to answer.

i like karlsruhe
>>
munich
>>
>>1679779
>i like karlsruhe
Same here - mostly for their combination of BOStrab and EBO.
>>
File: james may kek.gif (3.19 MB, 498x275)
3.19 MB
3.19 MB GIF
>>1640806
>>
>>1626881
East Germany has shitty rapid transit but nice and extensive tram systems

West Germany has some good light rails but dumped their trams.

Its pretty hard choice.
>>
>>1644239
see: >>1630829
>>
>>1626881
i had a lot of fun just randomly riding trains around Stuttgart and Berlin
>>
>>1637069
based. Itzehoe to Hamburg is probably my favorite train line i have used.
>>
>>1683279
thank you I think that is my most underappreciated post to this day
>>
>>1669809
>Handy
Do Germans really?
>>
File: windmobile.jpg (117 KB, 1024x724)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>1684616
>Mobile
Tun Angeln wirklich?
>>
>>1684627
the full name is mobile (tele)phone, so "mobile" is short for that.
But almost everyone nowadays just says "phone", even old people. Meanwhile where does """"Hændy"""" even come from lol. The german is Mobiltelefon, how in the fuck do you get Handy from that.
>>
>>1627431
>18 goes to istanbul
Wohin?
>>
>>1684657
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlsijAFtx0M

>>1684657
Apparently it comes from ham radio "hand-held transceiver"
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobiltelefon#Entstehung_der_Bezeichnung_%E2%80%9EHandy%E2%80%9C
>>
>>1626881
All soulless.
>>
>>1626881
There are different types of rail transit. Only 4 cities in Germany have an underground metro, though other types can also have underground sections.

I like the underground metro in Nürnberg, it's fairly modern (driverless) and efficient for a city of the size.

I really don't like public transport in Berlin. It takes like an hour to get anywhere.
>>
File: hannover.jpg (302 KB, 800x533)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
>>1652231
Isn't that the case with all parties, look at "Die Linke, FDP(westerwelle died I know), AFD, Gruene". They all got neat faces. But are rotting underneath.. Kind of like
>pic related
Can't say I rode the one on the right though. It probably smells like polyethylene.
>>
>>1663662
Strassburg

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.