[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 65 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: drt.jpg (433 KB, 1459x1094)
433 KB
433 KB JPG
>>
File: bIMG_2910.jpg (374 KB, 1277x958)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
I had a cycling nightmare last night. I saw a bubble in the paint on my top tube. When I touched it, it collapsed as the metal has rusted through. The more of the top tube I touched the more of it collapsed until nearly the entire upper part of the tube was gone.

I found a picture I took a few years ago of pre-spring riding in subfreezing temps with wet roads where the water freezes on contact with bike. I only had one ride like that this year but didn't take a picture.
>>
>>1626636
so... THIS is what mutts mean when they talk about "gravel biking".
>>
>>1626644
>I had a cycling nightmare last night
I get those, but it's my carbon fork snapping while I'm bombing downhill at 35 mph, and knocking out all my teeth when I hit the road.
>>
>>1626646
You never know what you are going to get with gravel. After a good soaking all the gravel gets pushed into the clay by vehicles and when it dries you are left with a surface smoother and faster than asphalt. The appeal of gravel isn't the gravel, its the lack of traffic. Many gravel roads near me see 1-2 cars per hour.
>>
Tied my consecutive riding days streak of 14 days in a row. My previous record was also this year when we really nice weather for the first 2 weeks of the year.

I don't tend to get really long streaks often since I prefer longer rides, typically 2.5 hours at a minimum. Been doing a lot of 3 hour rides lately. Only 2 hours today since it was -1C and windy.
>>
File: IMG_20210208_185546.jpg (1.96 MB, 3968x2976)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
I plan to bike a lot this season but my bike's sitting in the service queue for the 4th week now. At least the weather continues to be shitty so they can take their time.
Pic's from about a month and a half ago.
>>
>>1626651
>Many gravel roads near me see 1-2 cars per hour.

Getting passed by a car on a gravel road is one of the shittiest experiences in cycling. You often yield over into a bad rut, get a mouth full of rocks and dust or both.
>>
I did a bit of accidental gravel/mud downhill tonight, thought I'd take a different route home for a change, turned off the bike path about 1/2 mile too soon, steep gravely surface, pitch black, I'm laughing out loud half from fear half from exhilaration. the track takes a sudden bend and then ends at a gate, I lift my bike over the gate wondering why this wasn't marked on the map, MUD! Fuck me it was a muddy as fuck track that ran round a lake, 35mm slicks sliding around all over the place,m it was about a mile up this lakeside track that I realised I'd taken a wrong turn.

Do i turn around and go back? nah, this is fun, continue,my shitty lights pick out a camo tant by the lakeside, there's a lad there setting up for night fishing, I ask him if this track gets me back onto the carriageway, he laughs and say's no mate, but you will come out behind Tesco if you keep going around the lake.

Fantastic ride, literally took me an hour and half longer to get home but i loved every second of it, my hybrid looks like a maiden who just emerged from a session with a roomful of rugby players, innocence lost.
>>
File: kona dew.jpg (384 KB, 1800x1800)
384 KB
384 KB JPG
filled up the panniers with stuff to bring to the co-op. took the streets on the way down, rode along the river promenade back home.
>>
>>1626828
Murphy's law of gravel roads. You'll go an hour without seeing a car then two will pass you in opposite directions at the same time.
>>
>>1626815
>my bike's sitting in the service queue for the 4th week now
Isn't it a bit cringe to not do your own maintenance?
>>
>>1626828
>You often yield over into a bad rut, get a mouth full of rocks and dust or both.
I've got in the habit of keeping my mouth closed and putting my head down. My old Garmin 800 has a chunk taken out of it from a semi on a gravel road, when I accidentally ended up on a construction haul route.
>>
>>1626868
This always happens to me but with pedestrians on the mup.
>>
>>1626646
No that would be a dirt road retardo
>>
>>1626865
What are you carryoing in all those bags? You running away from home?
>>
>>1626911
yes, everything i own fits in that filson tote and $10 molle dump pouch.
>>
Morning ride. Can't wait to get warmer outside, these nature bike strolls are medicine for my soul
>>
File: DSCN2253.jpg (821 KB, 1536x1151)
821 KB
821 KB JPG
The "Torokko" at Hozukyo station, you can see cherry blossoms beginning to test the environment. Soon....
>>
>>1626869
I would if I could. Not everyone has access to tools, anon, let alone a workbench where I could actually prop the bike up.
>>
>>1627796
you don't have access to some hex keys?
>>
>>1627825
Hex keys? Sure.
A place where I could clean my chain and casettes without making a mess everywhere and putting parts down on the bare floor? Nope. A steel wire or anything strong enough to help me take the chain off? Nada.
>>
>>1627847
>A steel wire or anything strong enough to help me take the chain off
um
what
>>
>>1627847
put a couple old tshirts or a towel on the floor. you could buy the appropriate master link or chain tool for less than $20usd, but it seems like you might be too retarded to use it. so instead, buy a new toothbrush and use the old one with a bit of dish soap and water to get shit off the drivetrain. relube and wipe dry. you saying you can't do any of this?
>>
>>1627796
You don't need a workbench, you just need to take it slowly and be organized and you'll probably not stain the walls, floor and ceiling with bike gunk.
>>
>>1627796
I've seen people use a piece of rope to suspend the bike to work on it. Or if there is a bar about 4-5 feet off the ground just rest the bike on that by the nose of the saddle. Could probably find free junk to make that style of rack out of.
>>
>>1627796
Up until recently I would just flip the bike upside down. You can also prop the handlebars on something to have access to the levers. It works great. As for tools, get yourself a quality multitool thingy, it's pretty cheap and you can do 90% of all bike repairs with it
>>
Kind of a weird day. The entire radar view had precipitation, except for a clear patch around the city. I was expecting to get rained on at one point during my 3 hours outside, but nothing. Checked the radar again and it was still the same, precipitation everywhere except the city. It did end up raining a few hours after I got home.

That kind of thing happens a lot during the summer, but is less common when it is cold in the spring.

This cold windy weather is not making it easy to continue my riding streak which is in day 16. Tuesday will probably be the day I yield, snow and 70 km/h winds.
>>
File: heatsection.jpg (436 KB, 1581x861)
436 KB
436 KB JPG
Got a Strava trial today, so I was able to check out the updated personal heatmap feature. Lots more options than the old version, but it sucks. Does a very poor job of showing the high frequency routes. Leave it to Strava to ignore a feature for 8 years, then fuck it up when they go to improve it.

I think part of what messes it up is that like the global heatmap it uses continuous lines. The old version seemed to use a filtering of the individual recorded gps points. As a result the old version naturally weighted stop / starting heavier along with climbs where you have more points over a given distance.

For my all time heatmap everything looks pretty uniform except for a roads I've gone down hundreds of times. Most of the ones in the picture I've gone down at most 4 times ever.
>>
>>1626815
>downtube says "GIANT"
>it is size small
>>
finally some shorts + shirt rides this year. it felt so good
>>
just got back from a full gas ride, which is something I almost never do
since we're back to full quarantine, we're allowed to go out to practice sports from 6 to 9 AM on the weekends. sunrise is at 7:30 though so I had a hard time convincing myself to go out. kicked myself in the ass and went for it.
my ride was through the mountains, so at some parts the road was completely dark, and my puny knog light wasn't nowhere near enough to ride safely. rode slowly until a couple of roadies overtook me, one of them had a bright ass light so I followed them. tried to make some smalltalk but they ignored me, so I just wheelsucked them until a couple of kms before the summit, then passed them, reached the peak, and bombed my way down
ended up doing the whole thing in 2 hours instead of the 3 I had calculated, I'm happy.
>>
>>1627796
>>1627847
It must suck being retarded. It's a shame you'll probably never figure out how retarded you actually are.
>>
8 minute power test during a 2 hour ride.
Not bad, I picked up 16 watts/4.5% improvement.
>>
File: almost.jpg (48 KB, 994x298)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
So close!

Very warm today so I went for a second ride in the evening. Brought a jacket but didn't need to put it on.

Need to get an early ride in tomorrow morning before the weather goes to shit. Temperature is supposed to dive along with winds up to 110 km/h and some snow.

Some consistently warm days coming up starting Thursday.
>>
>>1627043

one thing i do miss about japan is the riding is brilliant. did a week tour from nagoya through the mountains in gifu, nagano, and hamamatsu a few years ago.
>>
Just got back from a 4 day tour of some Vancouver Island logging roads.
First two days were very hot and sunny and despite several layers of SPF60, got really sunburnt and developed heat rash on my hands. Still lots of mud on the logging roads and trails, even though it hasn't rained for a while.
Day 3 noticed my rear tire was wearing through, forecast called for 48 hours of rain, and I decided to bail back home asap since I had my fill of mud and 15% gradients and wanted to drink beer.
Day 4 woke up at 6:30 am and was on the road by 7:30 for a 9 hour slog home through pouring rain, 4°C and 30 km/hr headwinds.
Got a tailwind and sun in the last 40 km and made it back an hour before the beer store closed.
Had to pop the phone into a bag of rice, as even sitting in my waterproof jacket all day, the torrential downpour I rode through for 4 hours straight was humid enough to trip the moisture sensor.
>>
>>1630168
p.s. counted 39 empty cans of Lucky Lager
next most common can was Budweiser followed by fucking Hey Y'alls of all things
>>
Some dumbass cager blew a yield sign today and fucked up my derailleur. How do we make them pay? I propose we raise fuel tax again.
>>
>>1631131
>we
nypa
just smash a mirror or something
>>
>>1630168
>>1630170
damn that sounds harsh, grats on making it through somewhat
>>
>>1631131
Not to be a cunt but you should have anticipated that, and there was also probably something quite simple you could have done to avoid it. If you're on the road, always ride as if car drivers are actively trying to kill you and/or can't see you and they're about to do the most retarded thing imaginable.
>>
File: image.jpg (214 KB, 1920x1440)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
Someone flytipped an entire car
>>
Went for an early ride while it was still frozen out. Glad I didn't go while it was wet. This evening there was salt powder forming at the edge of the road. With all the salt they put down for yesterday's snow any water on the street would have been very briney. Very nice weather coming up, roads should dry up fast tomorrow.
>>
>>1626636
Why is everyone so obsessed with gravel bikes these days? Just ride an old mtb, same shit.
>>
bros.. I haven't rode my bike in 6 months.. how long will it take to get some fitness back
>>
>>1631634
Mostly just marketing to sell people with cross bikes carbon frames, hydraulic brakes and slightly increased tire clearance.
>>
>>1631666
>how long is a piece of string?
istfg the amount of people who need spoonfeeding these days absolutely beggars belief.
>>
>>1631666
just go for a ride. I wasn't able to ride all winter, but it only took me a few rides to get back in the groove.
>>
File: bIMG_5407.jpg (563 KB, 1344x941)
563 KB
563 KB JPG
Almost went with baselayer + longsleeve jersey tonight instead of a jacket. I definitely would have been cold towards the end after sunset. My legs are going to be unhappy for the next week or so switching back to the touring bike after nothing but fat / mtb since November.

Only one loose section of gravel tonight, but it happened to be off camber downhill.
>>
On a 33 lbs steel hardtail mountain bike, first time in that area
>>
>>1632652
Switching to the road bike really does feel strange after having ridden the fatbike all winter.
>>
Got to a valley on a ride today and ended up going down it much faster than usual due to tailwind. Whenever I stop pedaling on a downhill it gives me time to think about stuff like, hey maybe I shouldn't be doing over 60 km/h on these worn out tires.
>>
40.67 miles
2:04:54
>>
>>1632703
Haven’t ridden two days in a row in a while, but somehow was feeling stronger than yesterday
>>
File: IMG_5099.jpg (1.99 MB, 3024x4032)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
Its been really wet and i had just some elbow surgery and its about to get really wet again this week.

Found a brief break in the cloud on Saturday afternoon. Rode through the pain and was rewarded with this view. Popped some strong painkillers and drank some brandy. Bliss.
>>
File: DSCN2395.jpg (977 KB, 1151x1536)
977 KB
977 KB JPG
If you go down to the woods today...
>>
>coming home from a ride
>just passing an intersection
>bitch coming the other way starts to turn left right on top of me like I'm not even there
>HEY, WHAT THE HELL!?
>"SHUT THE FUCK UP!" bitch yells out her car window and speeds away
WHY IS THIS ALLOWED!?
WHERE THE FUCK IS A COP WHEN YOU NEED ONE!?
Half considered following the bitch and fucking up her car but I'm in recognizable kit and really don't need to spend the day in jail.
>>
File: DSC08396.jpg (800 KB, 2048x1365)
800 KB
800 KB JPG
Put in some work today.
>>
>>1633120
so you were riding an illegally modified ebike while drunk and nodded out on prescription opiods?
>>
>>1633120
>pilled out pedo endangers everyone dui-ing an electric motorcycle, more news at 11
>>
>>1634608
Dude he literally does that every other day. Not news.

>>1634629
>calling people pedos
Still waiting for that proof. Not cool.
>>
>run over 2 thumb tacks
>bike falls over while fucking with tire because fucking oklahoma always have 30mph wind
>derailleur hanger is bent now
just gonna ride my single speed for a few weeks
>>
>>1634642
hi zish
>>
>>1634660
hi schiz
>>
>>1634663
:^)
>>
>>1634562
Are you missing a spoke?
>>
>>1634730
you need to get your eyes fixed.
>>
>>1634742
He is clearly missing a spoke in his front wheel.
>>
>>1634761
Where?
>>
>>1634762
My apologies. I looked again and it seemed to be an optical illusion. The spoke lines up almost perfectly with the edge of the concrete and it made it seem invisible to my plebeian eyes
>>
>>1634663
Are you missing a spoke?
>>
File: bIMG_5431.jpg (964 KB, 2298x1554)
964 KB
964 KB JPG
Saw a guy pupper doping on a long board today. The 2 dogs had him cruising at about 25 km/h. Shitty pic, took it one handed while riding on a parallel back alley.
>>
I’ve started riding a lot more lately, like 5+ days a week 2-3hr rides 2000-3000ft elevation each should I start paying attention to nutrition or stick with the ol honking plate of spaghetti and pizza
>>
First road bike ride of the year, and I got a flat. Sliced the tire casing enough that the replacement tube started pushing its way out through the hole. Booting it with $20 I had in my wallet did the trick.

Still a lot of tread left on that tire so I'll see if I can effect a permanent fix.
>>
>>1635572
>I'll see if I can effect a permanent fix.
How? I have a tire I would like to rescue as well.
>>
>>1635620
I'll likely get a pack of Park tire boots from the LBS, though the cheapskate in me is thinking about just using Scotch Tough heavy duty duct tape I have laying around. Then use some shoe goo / silicone adhesive to seal the cut.
>>
>>1635628
There is a new version of Scotch Tough duct tape that would probably be good for tire repair. The All-Weather version holds at temperatures up to 93 C, which likely means its using a better acrylic adhesive instead of butyl.
>>
File: DSCN2389.jpg (1000 KB, 1536x1152)
1000 KB
1000 KB JPG
I posted the same tree a year ago, it's just as neat this year.
>>
>>1636382
I was surprised you hadn't posted a cherry blossom pic yet, titaniumbro
>>
Nice warm ride today. Rain tomorrow followed by 3 days of snow up to 25 cm. I may just sit that out rather than bringing my fat bike out of the basement.
>>
>>1636599
but isn't that the whole point of fatbikes
when will you ever use it otherwise
>>
>>1636600
After 4 months / 2,000 km of nothing but fat bike rides I'm ready to put it away until the fall.
>>
File: 1602773935510.png (348 KB, 900x887)
348 KB
348 KB PNG
My ride was 10 minutes to the liquor store today.
>>
>>1636693
I am pretty sure this is the reason bicycles were invented in the first place.
>>
>>1636695
Also so you could go visit that hottie in the next village.
>>
File: DSCN2387.jpg (1.32 MB, 1536x1152)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>1636390
Bonus cherry blossom pic. This tree is, I think, Emperor Seiwa's (emperor: 858 to 876, died 881) mausoleum. I've walked there out of cherry blossom season and my tree-fu is poor but it's approximately the right place and it's the only reason for a cherry blossom tree on that part of the hill. It's always nice to see when grunting up the hill.
>>
>>1636845
this looks great
>>
>>
>>1637999
dope frame
>>
What if I don't have and dirt or gravel roads around me?
>>
>>1638115
then you're lying
>>
>>1636382
Nice picture, I even remember that you were asked to take a picture with your bike in front of it last year. Keep this tradition up.
>>
File: IMG_20210411_180625~2-02.jpg (1.08 MB, 1920x1436)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
Everyone should have a blossoming treefu. I was late to mine this year.
>>
>>1628994
I can't believe people are still locked in their homes by the government. God bless Greg Abbott for ending this shit
>>
File: 1611039563982.gif (1.02 MB, 500x224)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB GIF
FUCK THIS FUCKING GAYASS WEATHER. WHERE IS MY SPRING
>>
File: 1519355736681.png (1015 KB, 1271x823)
1015 KB
1015 KB PNG
>>1639216
Sup Coloradofag?
>>
File: DSC_0907.jpg (595 KB, 1304x2312)
595 KB
595 KB JPG
nice climbing day
so quiet up in the mountains
>>
>>1631666
1 month
>>
>>1639216
We had snow every day between Sunday and Thursday. Today was the first day I got out this week. Roads melted off fast, should be mostly dry by tomorrow. Many of the days the snow was melting as it hit the road.

Mid-April snow is nice for the lawn. The ground is thawed enough that the water sinks in instead of running down the street. Seeing a lot of green grass already.
>>
File: PXL_20210417_103421959~2.jpg (2.81 MB, 3608x2935)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
>>1638328
No blossoms here yet.
>>
File: 1618442457043.jpg (29 KB, 750x500)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>started biking last summer
>went from 3km in 30mins to 25km in 60mins as a daily routine
>winter hits, I dropped biking because I would've had to buy a second one.
I started my last summer routine today and puked at 1.5km mark. I thought I let myself go last summer but today was a real low.
>>
>>1639535
that's a nice bike anon
>>
>>1639608
nobody feels for you
git gud
>>
>>1639608
>3km in 30mins
how the fuck is it even possible to have trouble doing this
>>
File: 1618676111739.gif (1005 KB, 500x375)
1005 KB
1005 KB GIF
>>1639687
Of course they wouldn't, have's can't comprehend the struggles of have nots.
>>1639690
>Live average 1st world livestyle
>Be actually older, in early 20s.
Boom. That's all it takes. I mean I was in the army which made me somewhat fit but you can't sustain yourself on just taking a dog out afterwards.

I'll add that I'v never been able to do pushups either. Sometimes people are born weak
>>
>>1639699
And I am slightly overweight so it's not like you can expect a fat man to climb a flight of stairs. 183/82, you can calculate the bmi yourself

Metric of course
>>
>>1639699
>I was in the army
>I'll add that I'v never been able to do pushups either
At this point we deserve to be invaded by china
>>
>>1639702
>183/82
That's not overweight.
>>
>>1639699
>have's can't comprehend the struggles of have nots.
yes we can, we were all have nots at some point
now quit your whining, faggy weeb
>>
File: bIMG_5454.jpg (488 KB, 2074x1555)
488 KB
488 KB JPG
Met up to do 100 km with a guy from our rando club, 130 km total including the trip to the start. Easy going on the way out and a surprisingly steady 20 km/h headwind on the return, no gusting just a constant wind.

I could have used a 3rd bottle of water since we didn't stop anywhere. And I should have ate one more time, 1 bottle of Ensure and 1 of my homemade energy bars wasn't quite enough.

Slow leak on my rear tire. I thought it felt spongey several times on the way back. It wasn't until we were nearly back that it was getting really soft. Probably from the glass I rolled over on the way to the start. Since it took 100 km to go soft, I just pumped it back up for the 15 km home.

Weird halo around the sun near the start.
>>
Rode 28mi in a loop around town last night 1,130 ft climbing, was fun but slow as fuck, avg speed was only 13.7 mph, I'm really out of shape right now. Going to see if I can do better tomorrow evening
>>
>>1639369
looks gay
>>
>>1639752
i dont know why i feel compelled to say this. i probably dont mean it but nice blog faggot
>>
File: DSC_0910.jpg (268 KB, 1304x2312)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>>1640120
as in happy? yeah it was
check it out, there was an apple tree up there, which is weird since we were above the tree line, apples were tart and juicy
>>1639752
looks like a regular halo to me
>>
>ride 50 miles nice and quick
>feel gud
>hrm/gps tracker crapped out and thought I did 11 miles at walking speed
>feel rekt
I should stop using technology entirely
>>
>>1640485
>Rides 11 miles at walking speed
>But i speed boi
>It's the technology that's wrong
Consider insanity
>>
File: ab9.png (655 KB, 600x665)
655 KB
655 KB PNG
>>1640506
>putting technology above lived experience
>>
>>1640485
yes you should. unrace yourself.
>>
Kind of miserable today. Wind picked up mid-ride and intermittent snow flurries. Rode around all the paths in a cemetery after looping through the old warehouse district.
>>
>>1640653
sounds depressing
you should go hit the mountains
>>
Did some tinkering on the touring bike tonight. Finally got around to putting the old handlebars on after a year and a half of thinking about it.

I went to get new gravel tires today but the LBS only had one. The LBS ended up having the cheapest gravel tires I could find by at least $15 each. It was 700x40 while I had never gone larger than 700x35 on that bike. So I ended up moving the tire between the front and rear rims to check fender clearance, of which I just had enough, sort of. I chopped a bit off the front of the front fender due to the front rack pushing the fender into the tire. Tried modifying the rack bracket first but that didn't work.

Screwing around with bike stuff has a way of eating up an entire evening.
>>
File: bestboy.gif (830 KB, 500x280)
830 KB
830 KB GIF
>>1640602
No, I shall arm myself with every HRM, GPS tracker, and power meter known to humanity. I will become a veloweapon to surpass DC Rainmaker. There's nothing you can do to stop me!
>>
File: bIMG_5467.jpg (830 KB, 1580x1073)
830 KB
830 KB JPG
The cute gophers are out, so the city started poisoning them again. Little bastards create holes in all the parks since they live underground.
>>
>>1640786
your mom's still dead tho
>>
File: 20210420_182912_HDR1.jpg (3.55 MB, 4160x3120)
3.55 MB
3.55 MB JPG
>>1641040
Squirrels are weird. They will go one way when they hear you coming but then at the last second they will go in the opposite direction. I ran over one a few days ago because I thought he was clear but he went back into the trail and I hit him at speed on a downhill section. I could hear his tiny bones crunching. Feels bad man. Cleared him off the trail. he was warm and limp with blood coming out of his mouth and nose. I feel terrible but I know it's not my fault. They are way too prevalent where I live due to people feeding them and not being managed. Also, that weird action where they move one way then quickly reverse. I don't understand the evolutionary purpose of this. I've noticed that practically all of them do it.
>>
>>1641140
>Also, that weird action where they move one way then quickly reverse. I don't understand the evolutionary purpose of this. I've noticed that practically all of them do it.
I'm pretty sure that's to throw predators off.

Pretty bling bike there, my friend. Why don't you polish the stem and pedals as well?
>>
>>1640120
>>1641143
samefag
>>
>>1641140
You should put the grippier tire on the front. Oversteer is much easier to manage than understeer on a bicycle.
>>
>>1641147
How? That was my first post ITT.
>>
>>1641040
What's wrong with making holes
>>
>>1641140
I once had a squirrel do that dance in front of me, but I stopped right in front of him and he started flexing hard and getting aggro like u wanna go bruh huh breh huh huh c'mon brooooo. I didn't want to look like that Frank Zappa album cover so I turned around and went down a different path while the lil dude kept flexing. Hope he got laid that nite, that had to have impressed the girls
>>
Give me the chromium leg
I beg
>>
>>1634545
Just snap or remember the plate and look it up when you come home
>>
>>1641170
Messes up sports fields, people twist their ankles. Kind of funny we're poisoning them as they are the local CFL team's mascot.

Those ground squirrels have a loud up to 50 khz high frequency chirp. You can hear it inside a car while driving with the windows rolled up.
>>
>>1641173
What
>>
Windy today but warmer. Ran out of water and really should have brought a second bottle. Saw an ice cream shop was open so I grabbed a milkshake to drink for the last few km.
>>
>>1641518
>I grabbed a milkshake to drink for the last few km.
fatass
>>
File: 20210423_121351.jpg (3.52 MB, 3264x2448)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
Rode a comfy 20 today, its been a rainy spring I finally feel fit again.

Still at less than 300 miles for the year. Ive got some miles to make up.
>>
File: open - 1.jpg (452 KB, 1666x1250)
452 KB
452 KB JPG
taking advantage of open spaces while they're still around
>>
How do stop leg cramps ending my ride early?
>>
>>1642436
hydrate yourself, both the day before and on the actual ride
>>
>>1642436
More water + electrolytes, pre-ride stretching and warm up, post ride foam roller massage.
>>
File: electrolytes.gif (596 KB, 288x293)
596 KB
596 KB GIF
>>1642436
>>
>>1642452
>>1642455
>>1642459
I took 1.5L with 3 of those nuun electrolyte/caffeine tablets and then like another .5L (bless the plumber who turns on the water) is that good?
I also didn’t eat breakfast but had a nice sandwich for dinner the night before
When I got to the top I took off my helmet and a continuous stream of sweat poured out, was almost cartoonish
>>
>>1642461
yeah you're good on the water
should definitely eat a big breakfast. also bring little sweet things to eat on the ride, and a banana or two
also sounds like you're really pushing yourself. are you the near-heart-attack guy? maybe work slowly towards your goals, before you injure yourself.
>>
>>1642466
I’m scared to eat breakfast because all the times I’ve done it before (within like 2 hours of biking) I seem to get tired more easily, I usually do a big fatass dinner the night before not a sandwich, but not eating seems to help me
I’m down for bringing snacks I just need to find something that goes down easy through super heavy wheezing cottonmouth, also I don’t have any bag, I could try and stuff snacks in a seatbag or stick with pocketable stuff
Also my goal is to have fun until it’s dark or I’m tired, and energy-wise I was definitely ready to keep going, it was only the cramp (and then an equally bad cramp in the other leg 10 minutes later) that ended it
>>
A +2C and sunscreen kind of day. Neck a little sore after swapping bars so I need to play with the height a little.
>>
File: 1518061403771.jpg (13 KB, 450x347)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>1642433
i want to lounge on that sofa
>>
>>1642472
>retard is scared of fueling his body before exercise
fuck is wrong with you? eat a small or regular breakfast and give yourself time to digest. bring water, fruit juice/nectar/sugar drink of your choice, bananas. drink before you are thirsty. east before you are hungry or feeling fatigued.
>>
File: 33ws9g.png (180 KB, 460x382)
180 KB
180 KB PNG
After a year of barely riding at all (only random indoor and painful and sweaty rides on a roller) and being the last time I rode my bike for a really short ride 4 months ago, yesterday was my first real ride outside the city in a long time, 45km.I expected the ride to be painful, so I took my time and rode at a lower pace trying to enjoy the ride and not going fast, even if I didn't use my best bike, the ride was really enjoyable and it was like discovering again my passion for cycling, I'm very hyped and I'm planning for riding several times each week, with quarantine and all of that I got pretty fat and I felt bad so I didn't cycle at all, now I have lost 2/3 of the weight I gained and I feel more confident on my fitness level, so I'm gonna ride until my ass stop hurting and my body gets fit.
>>
>>1643075
that's nice anon, I'm happy for you
>>
File: IMG_20210425_143330~2.jpg (1.58 MB, 2112x2213)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
Nice 60km ride today
>>
File: IMG_20210426_010753.jpg (323 KB, 1080x799)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
30 km ride yestarday, just made it to 100 km in a week after not riding for so long.
>>
File: 20210425_205513.jpg (2.74 MB, 2048x1152)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
Took the shitbox AliX special for a preliminary 50km test run to see how I feel about all the shit I put on it before touring this Summer and it was great. I'm especially happy with fixing the riding position (check out dat janky saddle post)
Next I have to figure out how to jerry rig some motorcycle panniers and a front bag.
>>
>>1643182
what's in the bags? so much stuff for a 60km ride
>>
>>1643446
got enough seatpost? ever try riding a bike that fits?
>>
>>1643504
Handlebar bag was a waterproof jacket, a powerbank and my lunch, saddlebag has my tools and spares, always stays on the bike
>>
>>1643526
I always have a similar setup, tools on the small bag, and in the front bag, a camera, and a jacket, food or anything else.And I always carry a reflective jacket, just in case.
>>
>>1643537
Yeah my waterproof is reflective incase the weather goes to shit or I'm out until dark. I never use half the stuff in my bag but better to be safe than sorry
>>
>>1643538
No, it's not always better to be safe than sorry.
Sometimes it's better to let your hair down and ride the wild wind AND SUFFER.

Once I went on a really long trip on a warm summer day with nothing but shorts and a teeshirt. Ended up staying until late and catching the nastiest storm on my way back. Temps dropped radically, and I had another 3-4 hours of biking ahead when I found a thrift store.
Came outta there sporting a sick 80s windbreaker and oversized mexican poncho. Laughed all the way to the bank.

What you have is fine, too.
>>
File: bIMG_5476.jpg (399 KB, 1277x958)
399 KB
399 KB JPG
Was going to go for a ride this morning, but arm was sore from coofid shot. Felt better this evening so I went out for 2.5 hours. Flat bars probably wouldn't have worked since my arm is sore when held in that position.

Part of a major road near me is closed for a few months while 2 projects take place simultanously. Redecking a pair of bridges and refurbishing a major sewage trunk. They started setting up a temporary poo pipe. Minimal effect on cycling since there are a few MUP bridges over the water.
>>
>>1643470
>install gargantuan overbuilt oversized rear rack
>put all of your stuff on memesaddlebag anyway
puzzling
>>
>>1643853
Let me solve the puzzle for you fren.

The rear rack is actually not overbuilt at all, it's made out of thin cage stamped steel with a max weight rating of 10kg (lol). Got it for free from junk cruiser bike.
I have a set of motorcycle panniers (also 4 free) that I put on there but there's no need for them on shorter trips because they're too big.
Memebag works great for storing my tools, some beer, a jacket. It's waterproof. Although I noticed the straps tend to loosen if I hit bumpy off-road trails for too long.
>>
>>1643182
I've seen your bike before, I love how it looks exactly like "The Virgin Commute". at least you removed the front dork disc.
>>1643504
>>1643526
>always stays on the bike
It's funny how people on this board (and some people in real life) think you're LARPing if you so much as carry a water bottle with you. What do they do if they get a puncture? Call their mum for a lift home? oh wait that's exactly what they do.
>>
>>1643857
why must you go for the hyperbole right away
for a 60km ride all I need is a water bottle (or two if it's really hot outside) and a patch kit (which I chuck in my jersey pocket), that's why I found it odd he would also be carrying not one but two bags
>dude larping
>dude ur mom
please.
>>
>>1643859
>one water bottle for a 35 mile ride
enjoy getting dehydrated, I guess.
And what about food? that's at least a 3 hour ride, even for a relatively strong rider on a relatively fast road bike (I'm not talking about racing here, I'm talking about leisure riding).
Don't tell me you stop off at some yuppie "cafe" and pay for an overpriced sandwich that you could have made yourself. And don't tell me you don't eat either, because that's stupid too, your body starts cannibalising muscle.
>patch kit
you're doing it wrong. just carry a spare tube and repair the punctured one when you get back, then use that as the spare.
>jersey
go and check your stats on strava, lycraboomer
>>
>>1643864
>Don't tell me you stop off at some yuppie "cafe" and pay for an overpriced sandwich that you could have made yourself. And don't tell me you don't eat either, because that's stupid too, your body starts cannibalising muscle.
again with the assumptions and hyperbole. I carry a banana and maybe a granola bar, again, on my back pocket.
>you're doing it wrong. just carry a spare tube and repair the punctured one when you get back, then use that as the spare.
I hope you never flat twice
>go and check your stats on strava, lycraboomer
oh lol, you're one of those
so much anger over so little
>>
>>1643864
>>one water bottle for a 35 mile ride
>enjoy getting dehydrated, I guess.

Not, him, but I too only need one bottle for a 60km ride, I can ride 100km with 1,5 bottles, or just one if it's not hot. I have done some 200km rides during summer (93,2ºF/34ºC) and only drank 4L. Similar with food, for 60km rides I don't eat, sometimes I have ridden 100km with no food in the morning and the last 15-20km were pretty painful, more than the weakness was the psychological aspect, 15-20km of being weak and only having the food on your mind, and heat.

For muscle loss you will need anything more than one big ride, people have lifted and did hard training while fasted and they didn't lose muscle, the human body is not weak enough to start eating itself after some hours with no food, before muscle, the body will use sugar and fat.
>>
sometimes the best part of my ride is the shower after I'm done
>>
>>1639216
What's this from?
>>
I like using the RideWithGPS route planner, but it treated paths like the plague never wanting to route down them. Turns out it avoids paths unless they are specifically tagged with bicycle=yes in OpenStreetMap. So I updated the local paths, and after a few days to let the changes work their way into RWGPS' system the route builder defaults to keeping me on paths.

But I prefer the road, what have I done!
>>
>>1643864
oh look, it's the retard that doesn't carry a patch kit and hates cafe stops. opinion nuked from orbit.
>>
>>1644268
Perhaps not everyone is a quarter-life-crisis office grunt/mid-life-crisis dentist type who wears lycra despite only ever going 12mph and exclusively goes on Club Rides™ on summer sundays. Some of us do road cycling for exercise and/or to keep shitty mental health at bay, for example. Going to a Cafe™ when you could make a better sandwich yourself is the epitome of excess (you might even say "non-essential"), and in a sense embodies a lot of the things that are wrong with modern society.
And patching a tube at the side of the road in this day and age is retarded. it's easier and quicker to fit a new tube and fix (or bin, use as a frame protector, shim for mounting lights, etc.) the damaged one later.
seriously though, punctures should be such a rare occurrence anyway that you literally forget how to repair one. If you get more than two a year you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>1644114
>sugar
after (at least!) 3 hours with no food, there will be none of that left in your system.
>>
>>1644281
>we live in a society, make your own sandwich
>thinks there will never be an unfortunate ride where both the current tube and spare will be punctured
the state of (you), holy shit.
>>
>>1644288
>punctures should be such a rare occurrence anyway that you literally forget how to repair one. If you get more than two a year you're doing something wrong.
Apparently you can't read. The absolute state of american "education".
>>
>>1644288
>>we live in a society, make your own sandwich
yes actually.
>>
>>1644313
apparently you don't ride enough to encounter real world problems. why are you so hung up on this anyway? why can't i carry a tube ~and~ a patch kit without your autistic screeching?

>>1644314
>t. is too socially awkward to order a sando, coffee, and enjoy a break on a patio
>>
Saw a local FB for sale post for a kids Frog Bike for a 5-6 year old.

>only ridden a few times $350 CAD
>picture from website $590 CAD new

What idiot would spend that kind of money on a bike a kid will out grow in a year. Ooo it has front / rear v-brakes on a bike with 1 gear.
>>
>>1644884
someone who thinks they can recoup $350
>>
File: bIMG_5502.jpg (229 KB, 1118x763)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
I had been wrapping my home made energy bars in foil, but it would tear when trying to unwrap them so I had to be careful not to eat aluminum. Some aluminize mylar pouches I ordered from Amazon arrived today and should be easier to use on the road.

The pouches are sealed on one end with tear notches and open on the other. I'm not concerned with long term storage so I just use an iron to seal them instead of a vacuum sealer. The pouches are wider than I need so I iron the side a bit and trimmed off the extra.
>>
>>1645235
I just make granola and use a ziploc bag. I'm sorry about your autism anon
>>
>>1645235
I put my bars in sous vide bags. I've experimented with vakuuming them as well but it crushed the berries in them. So I just use the vacuum machine to seal the bags now. Want to share your recipe?

>>1645236
Want to share your recipe as well?

I've tried out this recipe last summer and the bars turned out great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bcejIf0w3U
>>
>>1645258
>>1645235

Cranberry Chia Date Bars
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 table spoons chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- up to 1 tablespoon maple syrup to help mixture bind if too crumbly

I put the mixture into a non-stick loaf pan and compress it with a spatula, then refrigerate to firm it up before cutting into bars.

I think I may have based it off this recipe and skipped the nut butter.
https://www.alagraham.com/2013/03/cranberry-chia-energy-bars.html

I used to be able to buy a similar generic brand bar, but it got discontinued.
>>
>>1645265
Should have mentioned I blend the ingredients in a food processor.
>>
>>1644320
I ride every single day. Not had a puncture in a year.
And not everyone is a richfag lycraboomer. This idea of "going to a cafe" during a ride doesn't interest me in the slightest. I ride to stay healthy (mentally and physically). I wear sweatpants and use platform pedals. I have a triple crank. And I live rent free in your head, Fred. I'm also faster than you.
>>
>>1645258
I use 1/3 jar strawberry jam, 1 1/2 cup of rolled oats, 1/4 cup sliced almonds, 1/4 cup raisins, then mix it all up, put it on cookie sheet and bake in oven at 350 until it starts crisping and dries out some, then take it out and when it cools i crumble it up. Helps to flip it over some while cooling to let it dry
>>
>>1639369
Why such a small bike?
>>
>>1645543
that bike looks like it fits him well, just compact geo
>>
File: 20210430_120555_50.jpg (1.32 MB, 1632x1224)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
30 miles out on the country sun. I petted a horse and saw baby minature donkeys.

Ps Get Well Soon Bacon
>>
>>1643075
Today's ride was just 40km but I feel stronger, I used to do that distance in 1,5h when I cycled more often and was fitter, today first half was kinda slow, was 18 minutes behind my record, as soon as I was heading back, saw a guy on an expensive aero bike sprinting uphill and I got hyped, no slow pace, I had to test my legs, so I did a way faster 2nd half, ended doing the total ride in 1h45m, I was kinda tired on the last uphill km and my granny gear saved me from a shameful stop.
Tomorrow I will try a 60km ride, I hope my legs can endure it and if everything goes well, next week I will try 90km with an eating/rest stop.
>>
>>1645751
you should stop concerning yourself with speed so much, just try to find a pace that you can maintain throughout the whole ride
>>
>>1645799
Let him have fun senor bike federale
>>
>>1645235
Buy heavy duty foil
>>
File: DSC_0920.jpg (1.16 MB, 2312x1304)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
135km flat ride with the fixiefags
they're damn fast
>>
File: PXL_20210415 - Copy.jpg (375 KB, 947x1263)
375 KB
375 KB JPG
>>1626636
I bonked really hard today, it's been a really long time since I cracked too. I was doing delivery, ran out of water 3 hours in, 84F, then about 5 hours in my whole body began locking up from heat exhaustion. It was brutal. Had to give myself 10 minutes to cool down, then limp to a 7-11 for a Gatorade. I haven't felt this in a long time, reminded me of some of my early days of courier work from 6 years ago when I bonked like everyday.
>>
File: 60a.jpg (58 KB, 712x712)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>1646259
that sucks man, glad you're ok. heat/dehydration bonks are way the fuck worse than glycogen bonks
>>
>>1645882
eh, over-exerting yourself and stressing over speed isn't my idea of fun
>>
Recycling day today, took a few years worth of worn out tires to the LBS. A bunch of chains, cassettes, gear cables, and random metal to the scrap place. And a 5 gallon bucket of motor oil to the oil place.

I've been going through tires a lot faster than tubes. Only had 2 tubes to recycle, used them to tie the tires into a bundle.
>>
>>1646259
Imo stop at a convenience store to get drinks if you're running out of water, hydrate early and often, a 5 minute stop at a store will slow you down a lot less than a full on bonk
>>
I now enjoy climbing up hills more than going down. I am no longer relieved when I get to the top, I am disappointed. I want to continue going up, forever. Help.
>>
>>1646718
you're on the right path
go for bigger mountains
>>
>>1646718
this is the way, you're gonna make it fren
>>
>>1646661
>a 5 minute stop at a store will slow you down a lot less than a full on bonk
truth but if I was that smart enough to think ahead then I wouldn't have gotten to that point no? It was also super busy, deliveries nonstop, and the wall just hit me out of nowhere, thought I was experienced enough to push through since I had all those years under my belt but I guess I got cocky. The normally 15 minute ride home after deliveries became like 30-40 minutes, I was gone.
>>
>>1646738
Lol fair enough
>>
Ride was going great this evening until telltale cramps indicating imminent diarrhea. Was in the city but much too far from home. Just in time I found 2 cargo containers in a sitting side by side fairly close to each other in a school parking lot. Construction workers are going to get a surprise tomorrow.
>>
>>1640485
Literally happened to me tonight:

>Finally feel back in the zone after first few hundred kms riding this year now that winter fucked off
>Tonight is the night
>Out for 50ish km doing sprints and climbing hills
>definitely broke this year's speed record and time record
>get home, check phone excitedly

>samsung fitness app auto-paused my cycling session after 30 seconds

Fucker. Guess I'll try strava now.
>>
>>1644283
you are delusional. I dont even know how many high intensity training sessions i had longer than 3 hours. And that is for swimming and biking without eating anything. Humans are a lot more durable than you think
>>
File: ride.jpg (200 KB, 1600x900)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
Had to stop to refill my bottles
>>
>>1646893
very nice, where's that exactly?
>>
>>1646906
Austria
>>
>>1646916
lovely
do you ride around the mountains or go climb them too?
nice bike by the way
>>
Short ride around my city
>>
>>1646952
Thanks for flipping my image mobile browser
>>
>>1646916
This is beautiful, where exactly is this? Im from slovenia
>>
File: image.jpg (1.19 MB, 3000x2250)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>finna boutta dox myself
the "bridge" is a film set, apparently. Raining a lot but that also meant there was nobody about so not bad.
>>
File: image2.jpg (561 KB, 3000x2250)
561 KB
561 KB JPG
>>1647000
>>
File: 20210501_111048.jpg (567 KB, 1548x2064)
567 KB
567 KB JPG
quick little 100km ride through a mountain range and over a lake
>>
>>1647126
>100km
>little
>quick
you what? that's a whole day out.
>>
>>1647189
Maybe he meant 100miles?
>>
File: may.jpg (1.52 MB, 4320x2197)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
rode through some farmland and explored some trails i had never been on. there were so many downed trees i had to keep getting off my bike. i wish i had some homies to ride with.
>>
File: bIMG_5525.jpg (796 KB, 1459x1094)
796 KB
796 KB JPG
Saw the first baby geese of the season while I was out today.
>>
File: turtle.jpg (3.3 MB, 4320x3240)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB JPG
>>1647212
i saw some today, too. also saw a turtle.
>>
>>1647192
that's longer
>>
>>1647189
Someone fast could do a 100 km in under 3 hours. On my road bike I can average 27 km/h and I'm far from fast.
>>
>>1647212
Goddamn I hate Canadian geese.
>>
>>1647236
>/n/
>fast
>>
>>1647232
I thought a mile was 0.6km?
>>
>>1647259
1.61km

t. burger
>>
>>1643182
Where'd you get those nice bags, anon?
>>
File: IMG_4117.jpg (2.14 MB, 3709x1862)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
>>
>>1646953
We found the hack with that. When you post turn off screen lock. Cheers.
>>
File: IMG_20210504_190126.jpg (3.1 MB, 4000x1824)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
Anybody in Dallas here? The terrain here sucks for biking but at least there are some barely okay hills.
Tried Trinity Trail(20 miles) for the first time and I sprained my calf. Felt like it was going to pop off lmao. Can't wait to do it again as soon as it feels better
>>
>>1646920
>>1646954
I mostly ride the terraces alongside bigger valleys like the Inntal. Most roads have gradients around 10% but very quiet and not much traffic. Goal for this summer is to do the Ötztaler Gletscherstraße and make it to the top alive.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.