[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 81 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bqg.jpg (152 KB, 983x427)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
Solid 6 with a Good Set of Tools Edition.

Replaces old thread
>1609507
>>
What brake pads does /n/ use on their bikes? Is there a favorite compound you've found? Do you just buy whatever your brake manufacturer sells?
>>
File: FM001-crack-0002.jpg (379 KB, 2000x1333)
379 KB
379 KB JPG
>>1612237
bruh if you think that's a 6 i've got a carbon frame to sell you
>>
>>1612272
kool stopz
>>
>>1612272
>Do you just buy whatever your brake manufacturer sells?
Yes
>>
>>1612279
>>1612272
I use Shimano ultegra pads.

Above 105 level they have the slide out pads where you only need to change a small part. They were 20 usd and work great.

Everyone says koolstop and im sure they work fine but remember that they work better because they wear. Down your tracks faster.

Ive never seen a road bike with koolstops, only mtbs despite the meme
>>
>>1612273
Never fails
>>
>>1612272
kewltops or campy for most of my roadies, trp metallics on my mtbs. one of my road bike is a miyata pro that runs trp pads with suntour sprint calipers, and the braking performance is insane. I dunno if it's suntour's secret sauce or trp's, but I wish my other rimmys were like it.
>>
>>1612272
wholesale cartridge pads from Aliexpress
>>
>>1612272
Carriage bolt shoved through a pink eraser.
>>
>>1612280
>remember that they work better because they wear. Down your tracks faster.
softer compound wears down rims faster? i thought it just wore down your pads faster
>>
>>1612287
iirc kool stop salmon does not compress very much so is good for brakes that have a high mechanical advantage
>>
I have gaps in my pedal stroke. How do I improve this?
>>
>>1612294
you could get a fixie lol
seriously
>>
>>1612294
practice riding on sand, ice, rollers, or even a resistance trainer - these will help you to notice when you're not pedaling smoothly
>>
>>1612272
Whatever pads came stock with my 105 bike can stop me on a dime from 25mph if i wanted them to. On my other bike with generic calipers shimano r50t5 pads work good enough.
>>
>>1612295
How does a fixie help this exactly?
>>1612297
Yeah I've been using rollers a lot lately and it's really apparent that my stroke is not smooth at all at times.
>>
>>1612301
air resistance from your body only slows the bike to around 50 kph
you could wear a big puffy jacket and leggings as an air brake, or as a sail in a tail wind
>>
>>1612302
>air resistance from your body only slows the bike to around 50 kph
That seems like alot? I was thinking of wearing a jacket and then unzipping it and letting the air catch it to slow down faster
>>
>>1612299
it does not help much as the crank is being pulled around for you
the only thing i got from it was a better appreciation of cadence, ie never pedaling faster than needed, and limiting bike speed to within the brakes ability
the final boss of pedals is https://www.powercranks.com/
or maybe a unicycle
>>
>>1612301
This video is 15 years old now but you need it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5W1Z23wPg
>>
File: ort.jpg (12 KB, 364x182)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1612303
the steepness and length of the hill helps push up the speed along with the weight of the bike
but also the wind conditions make a big difference, on a windy blustery day sitting upright will slow one down to about 40 kph
the same hill when the air is still nets 50 kph from sitting up and 60 kph if crouched closer to the top tube
but this is with ordinary gearing .eg 48x16 @ 168 crank rpm
using a chris froome style of descent posture I was able to get 70 kph out of 48x14 with 26x1.75 (47x559) tires, but only with perfect weather
I stopped after the lack of tire grip and having to pass cars on the outside of corners became an issue
>>
>>1611735
Just to clear this up from last thread, my ebike is illegal here in Australia, probably fine in america. An electric walmart shopping scooter for obese people is probably also an illegal ebike here.
>>
>>1612319
Didnt know usually based Aussies allowed the 250w EU maximum
>>
>>1612322
cops never ever check, they might get shitty if they catch you using a throttle, I've heard of a few fines being dished out to electric scooters on footpaths.
One guy went to jail, but he was high on meth riding pic related at 50kph on a foothpath near a school, and had a head on collision with a 7 year old on a bmx knocking them unconscious and disfiguring their face.
>>
>>1612282
i was impressed with my TRP v brake pads. kool stop tier as far as I can tell
>>
Is this a sign of a serious fit issue?
When I stand up on the pedals I feel a huge relief in my taint, like blood is rushing back into the area. Trying to get my sit bones on the saddle requires me to tuck my back in and feels unnatural. My position when reading is already pretty "low," even on the tops/hoods, and I'm feeling it a bit in the shoulder on 12 mile rides.

Should I try and tilt the saddle forward or tough it out?
>>
>>1612294
Possibly your crank length is too long or your saddle too high.
>>
>>1612272
Different compounds? Like it makes a difference on rim brakes lol
>>
>>1612331
Does your saddle has a cutout? Is it cushioned or has gel pads?
I found that cutout saddles greatly improve on the taint pressure but a gel saddle still paines my glutes. After switching to a Brooks B17 Imperial my comfort greatly improved and have better power on the pedals as well
>>
>>1612341
No cutout, no gel, just slightly cush leather. A cutout for taint relief is a great idea though
>>
>>1612342
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t91L_pcM_y0
>>
>>1612331
your saddle is either positioned wrong or it's the wrong saddle. don't 'tough it out', fix it. Hard so say much else. Cutouts are a meme btw.
>>
>>1612331
>should i tilt the saddle forward
never do this. you're already sitting on your taint, so you want to tilt the saddle forward so you slide down it and sit on your taint even harder? no. level the saddle, and check your leg extension - hold onto a street sign or something and balance as close to your riding position as possible, put your heel on the middle of the pedal, rotate the crank downward, in line with the seat tube, and check your extension. if your leg is fully extended in this position, and you aren't reaching or sliding off the saddle to keep your heel in place, your saddle height is okay. if you have to reach, its too high, if your leg isn't fully extended, its too low.
>>
>>1612373
Just because your genitals are below average size doesn't mean it won't work for others.
>>
gah why are bike parts still so hard to find. bottom bracket for my bike just exploded and all the cheap versions are non-existent so i have to buy some uber platinum hand milled bottom bracket for $$$ or not ride my bike. this is the stupidest hobby.
>>
>>1612433
why did you come to /bqg/ to whine instead of actually posting the part you needed to replace?
>>
>>1612433
the industry fucked you. english threaded BBs were fine but they went press fit to save money during production. get a used bike on Craigslist and give up on new bikes forever
>>
>>1612433
This is the future of disc brakes as well once the industry pivots back to rim now that Froome exposed them.
>>
>>1612341
Honestly i dont know people fit their duck between the saddle cutouts and how it is supposed to make it feel any better. Seems like it would be worse.
>>
>>1612237
>inner-city bike mechanic
the ones out in the burbs don't have metalface or drug problems.
>>
>>1612480
So you never ridden a bike before, good to know
>>
>>1612480
I bought an ISM but you're right, it feels nice for maybe the first 10 minutes then it's just more chafing. Chamois cream helps a little but makes it harder to point down if that makes sense.
>>
>>1612331
Rido R2 saddle will fit literally anyone and you'll never have discomfort again. Only your sitbones will touch.

Consider an ISM for time trial or very aggressive road position
>>
What's wrong with a cheap Chinese gel saddle on a XC bike ?
>>
>>1612564
nothing, if it suits your body and isn't too soft.
>>
>>1612564
that looks uncomfortable.
>>
Is there any alternatives to brooks in the leather saddle categoty
>>
>>1612566
>doesn't know the pleasure and comfort of leather saddles

>>1612588
gilles berthoud
>>
>>1612593
>he thinks that chink seat is genuine leather
>>
>>1612588
Selle Anatomica
>>1612594
>he thinks the post and the picture related beyond being about saddles
>>
>>1612564
if you get something too cushy it will get painful over distance, basically because it compresses the nerves around your junk. So that's the bad painful. Simply bruising your sitbones is the good painful. That will heal back stronger.
Basically any saddle that a casual unbroken in ass finds comfortable will hurt them in the long run.

literally just deal with an ass hatchet until you get used to it, as long as it actually fits you and it's your sit bones that are sore not your junk.
>>
File: r2side-640x227.jpg (16 KB, 640x227)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>1612597
>literally just deal with an ass hatchet until you get used to it, as long as it actually fits you and it's your sit bones that are sore not your junk.

the problem is most people aren't just sitting on their sit bones. there's a lot of soft tissue under there that was never evolved to bare weight. I think it's dangerous but many people claim otherwise.
The Rido saddle makes for zero contact with the nose section. The nose is only for controlling the bike with your thighs. Noseless saddles fail at this but the Rido actually works. I rode three noseless saddles, and they all felt fantastic but cost me a ton of safety due to loss of leg control.
I think the future of saddles will be things shaped like the Rido, but it won't take off until more people get into cycling and let go of aesthetic traditions they are stuck on
>>
>>1612620
i don't understand if you're joking or not
>>
>>1612594
retard
>>
>>1612620
you shouldn't need if you aren't a ham planet.
>>
Imo people overcompensate and buy too big of a saddle after buying an ass hatchet. Look for 160 to 170mm wide saddles thats a nice sweet spot.
>>
>>1612620
I don't understand how this helps anyone unless they ride in a very upright position. If you're riding in the drops and more aero like wouldn't you just be putting all the pressure on your junk as you pivot forward?
>>
>>1612624
I'm not
>>1612627
>you shouldn't need if you aren't a ham planet
I disagree.
>>1612629
it works in drops, but that all depends on how low you have your bars.. lots of rido owners are roadies. You really just need 1cm of lift to get everything off of the nose imho.

people continue to resist the rido. I wish I could send one to all of you. I bought 10 of them, just in case they ever go out of business I will have enough saddles for life
>>
>>1612633
>I bought 10 of them
post picture of rido collection
>>
>>1612633
hm, i ride a couple different saddles and none of them gouge my taint. did you perhaps create this problem for yourself by some sort of naive error, like excessive saddle height, then fiend after a niche product for others making the same mistakes?
>>
File: 384871333705678868.png (24 KB, 112x112)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>1612633
>people continue to resist the rido. I wish I could send one to all of you. I bought 10 of them, just in case they ever go out of business I will have enough saddles for life
You post this saddle in nearly every thread. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if you worked for them.
>>
>>1612488
But who knows, this could be a bike co-op at some liberal arts school in the middle of nowhere.
>>
File: 1610190013120.jpg (25 KB, 400x386)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>1612536
>has to lube his ass just to ride a bike
>>
File: 1610369189094.jpg (165 KB, 795x767)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>1612597
>has to 'break in' his ass just to ride a bike
>>
>>1612433
I think other anons misread your question - the answer is that the pandemic disrupted the 'just in time' model supply chains that the bike industry relies on and it takes time to get things moving again. Don't expect things to get better until the second half of 2021, otherwise you'll just be disappointed.

>>1612588
Gyes (they make the saddles badged for VO among other brands) - heavy on average but fine saddles.
>>
>>1612588
Rivet, Berthoud, Selle Anatomica, Selle Italia's throwback line like the Storica, Gyes (who afaik make Rivet, Selle Italia, VO, Cardiff, and others)
>>
Have old-gen (2400) claris shifters and fd and new-gen (R2000) everything else. Is there an actual reason to spend the $200 to upgrade the rest that doesn't boil down to consoomerism or (subjective) aesthetics?
>>
>>1612746
wait until they wear out
>>
>>1612746
I wouldn't worry about it unless you really prefer the hood shape on the newer ones or something. Or you're really bothered by having the shift cables run out front instead of under the bar tape.
>>
Why the FUCK would trek put a 26mm handlebar on a road bike in current year - 5? t. now waiting another fucking week for my new stem after already having waited a week for my new handlebars
>>
>>1612789
shim it with a beer can lad
>>
>>1612797
New handlebars are too thicc for the old stem, not other way around.
>>
>>1612272
Clear BMX pads for instalock m8 not even discies get you that much hold

>>1612433
>Anon bought a bigbox fatbike and didn't maintain the cuppancone BB it came with

>>1612629
if you ride in an ero-anus tuck in the middle of traffic you're going to die
>>
>>1612803
mill it with a chisel lad
>>
>>1612433
>bottom bracket for my bike just exploded
lol what
at worst it should just feel shitty but still be rideable
what BB is it and where do you live? and if it's a decent bike you should consider a BB or crankset upgrade
>>
>>1612633
you never posted a pic besides stock photos. can you at least do that to dispel any doubts that it's pure trolling.

most people are fine with normal saddles, they just need to figure out their saddle height and posture and such. don't lean back on the saddle like it's a cruiser bike, put your weight on the pedals so you can do more watts and be comfortable as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Rx5mX7TOA
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32787508902.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002001442271.html
>>
>>1612805
>he bikes in a city
i feel sorry for you
>>
>>1612878
>posts from a basement
i feel sorry for you
>>
>>1612881
I wish I had a basement.
>>
>>1612746
The newer ones feel nicer in the lever but no there is no reason to upgrade before the old ones wear out
>>
>>1612746
I have this exact setup. The older claris shifters without integrated cables shift better.
>>
How do you guys manage to remember what gear you're in? Is it all by feel or do you keep count in your head? Why the hell didn't they just make a visible gauge on the handlebar or something?
>>
>>1612906
I press the shifter and if it doesn’t shift I’m at the max gear
>>
File: avid arch.jpg (229 KB, 1280x853)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
can I put 1.75"-2.5" tubes in a 1.5" tire? Wheels in question are 26".
>>
>>1612911
yea you can stuff a bigger tube in there, just be careful of pinching it during installation.
>>
>>1612913
thanks boss!
>>
File: gear indicator.jpg (18 KB, 194x259)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>1612906
Mostly just remembering, but if I'm confused I just glance down. If you have 9 speed you can still find inline gear indicators if you really want them.
>>
>>1612906
if you're serious about your cycling you should get a cycling computer. your watts, heart rate, cadence will tell you if you need to shift. if you're a dutch fag, just stay in the easiest gear you can ride without falling over.
>>
>>1612925
> if you're a dutch fag, just stay in the easiest gear you can ride without falling over.
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>1612926
a lot of casuals ride obnoxiously slow
>>
Are there any good bike phone mounts that won't risk my phone?
>>
>>1612934
Quad lock
>>
>>1612936
On the quad lock, is there any benefit to the out front pro over the out front?
>>
>looking at campy groupsets
>literally every fitting and tool needed is different from the standard shit for Shimano/SRAM
Are they trying to prevent people from wanting to go to their groupsets?
>>
Are my handlebars orientated correct now?

1/2
>>
>>1612237
Omg, it's me but a girl.
>>
>>1613035
2/2
>>
>>1613035
no. rotate them farther forward so the grip area is at least perpendicular to the ground.
>>
File: 1613955705424 copy.jpg (203 KB, 3311x663)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>>1613035
>>1613045
see?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFkoFqoM3Os
>disc brakes are safe
this shit NEVER happened on rim
>>
>>1612949
The Pro is a little longer, is metal instead of plastic, and it a little lower profile.
>>
>>1613097
You're right, on a rim break, the tire would just explode if you were doing that much braking. Or if it was a carbon rim, it would warp and fucking fall apart. Both of those sound like much more dangerous scenarios than just ruining a rotor and a pair of pads.
>>
>>1613106
>break
*brake
Holy shit, I always cringe when I see people make that mistake and I just did it. It took me like 4 solid minutes to write that post too, guys. I kept making weird typos like my hands weren't doing what my brain told them to do. I think I'm having a stroke.
>>
>>1613104
Oops, didn't know this was a separate image and I didn't save it the first time.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (396 KB, 1895x900)
396 KB
396 KB JPG
tell me about tubulars
this wheel is only $25
the seller says
>Comes with tyre which holds air but would recommend regluing as it’s been on there for a while
would i be crazy to buy this for a fixie build?
and does the tyre look useable? Buying a new tub makes it expensive.
it would be for a city beater and i wouldn't carry a pump on it anyway, i'd just lock it up and call a ride or walk it home if i got a flat.

also, what spacing would you guess the hub is? 110 or 120? And could I space it out further to fit a 126 frame, or just bend the frame?
>>
hm there are actually some kinda cheap tubs on wiggle
i wonder if any would be suited to skidding lol

this is stupid right
>>
>>1613013
my chorus rim brakes use standard hex bolts (not torx) and universal shimano style brake pads. the nonstandard stuff seems more common older groupsets. some pics might throw you off making the hex profile look curved like torx but it's an illusion with how the bolt head is shaped.
>>
>>1613035
>>1613037
rotate them forward like the other anon said. the inner part with the logos should curve up so the logos face forward.
>>
>>1613013
>literally every
Well that's just not true.
What's really different besides the cassette lockrings?
>>
>>1613097
imma press x to doubt
if you want to hear of rim brake failures just look up any old tandem or touring bike or trike used in a hilly area
pads melt, rims overheat and cause tires to pop off from over pressure
pads also... fall off, get caught on tires and rip though them, dive downwards into spokes, get impaled by a rim wall failure and insta lock the wheel

the worst a disk will do is burn you or slash your calf or thigh open in a crash
>>
>>1613131
i think he means things like cassettes and bottom brackets which are infact different, although it's not an expensive tool either way.
>>
>>1613097
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt_EwZozPPo
>>
>>1612282

>>1612280

What are better brake pads? It's just a material to stop your wheel moving with friction.
>>
how to get cycling gf ;_;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fHJW0Qp_Nw
>>
bought this ~2-1/2 years back as a cheap bike sold as a hard tail "MTB" for ~$380, bs actually.
has cheapest Suntour XCM 30 100mm front forks, Shimano Altus 3x9 generic drivetrain setup.
I replaced the tires after they worn flat with Schwalbe Smart Sam Performance 29x2.1" pair.
do I switch to a 2x12 and upgrade to ceramic brake pads or just be off with a motorcycle.
also for context, I'm in college but I like riding my bicycle around while being quiet and not needing to worry about recharging or filling up, the reason I have not converted it to electric with a hub motor.
budget is not too high as well...
>>
>>1613220
>do I switch to a 2x12
no dude. huge waste of money for no real reason
if your shifting preformance or gear range are real issues for you, there are better ways to address it.
if you want to improve your bike, check all the bearings are smooth with no play (pedals, bottom bracket, headset, hubs), buy a chain wear tool, check that, oil your chain if no, yeah, maybe upgrade your breaks if you aren't happy with those.

honestly as like a casual bike i think hardtail mtbs, high end or low, are shit tier, but whatever. i like cruising around silent spec too.

the real quality of life improvement would maybe be having a rack and a basket. It looks like you could fit one on the back. If you ride around with a backpack, do this. Put it in there. Way comfier. Also, slick tires.
>>
>>1612925
imagine being such a fucking fred that you need a bike computer to help you decide when to shift. jfc lmao
>>
>>1613236
go by feel then
>>
>>1613236
but a lot of people don't know how to push hard, they've never lifted heavy weights in a gym and so on and they ride their bike kinda slowly and don't make a lot of progress with their training. all the pros and crit racers use cycling computers to optimize their training and racing performance
>>
>>1613243
i've never lifted weights in a gym at all
seems like an activity for faggots
>>
File: STS1.jpg (434 KB, 600x600)
434 KB
434 KB JPG
>>1613248
>seems like an activity for faggots
>>
>>1613249
they look like nice homo lads, not faggots
>>
>>1613243
>a lot of people don't know how to push hard
>training
>pros do it
yikes.

>>1613248
this

>>1613250
also this
>>
>>1613267
that's why i qualified it with
>if you're serious about your cycling
for unracers like you it doesn't really matter
>>
>>1613269
unraced and still better than you. keep looking at your computer to figure out when to shift lmao
>>
>>1613272
you probably don't even wear a helmet and you think you're fast
>>
i put drop bars on a 62cm XC frame and now the reach is too big, i used a adjustable stem to raise the bars but now the bike looks butt-ugly, do i go back to flat bars or just deal with the uglyness of the bike?
>>
>>1612906
by feel mostly, there should only be a little resistance if your in the gears ideal speed
and no resistance at all if you've exceeded the gears ideal speed
>visible gauge on the handlebar or something?
most of the of the handle bar and stem mounted indexed shifters have numbers for this
except https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=50&v=4wNcok8KdNE&feature=youtu.be
>keep count in your head
not really just keep the chain strait as possible
1 chain ring 1-3 rear sprocket - climbing hill - accelerating from a stop
2 chain ring 4-6 rear sprocket - flat ground between 25 and 40 kph
3 chain ring 6-9 rear sprocket - for pedaling slowly on long trips - or going fast .eg 50 to 70 kph
>>1612925
good for checking average speed and distance traveled, maybe as an extra timepiece
all the other shit about bio metrics is "serious" overkill
you learn about pacing the hard way by training too much
>>1613243
beef heads injure their legs by pushing too hard on gears that are too tall
then they act all surprised then their 12 tooth sprocket is shark toothed
>>1612927
yea walking pace or 15 kph at most
and either in smallest smallest or largest largest idktfw
>>
>>1612906
look down lad
>>
>>1613225
hmmm...
well, the gear ratio range is pretty good for daily cruising and most shifts(except those where there is a 2-3 teeth difference, the chain strugle to engage with the rear cassette cog, notably 2x4-6 and I have to release tension/force off the drive train to let them engage for longer) but the problem is that there are too many gears to shift through while acceleration and pre shifting before deceleration and stopping.
I also like aggressive ratios to shift through as usually shift through 2-3 gears in the back and one at a time in the front keeping the chain mostly straight(across the drivetrain).
I do all the following maintenance periodically and even take the bike to get it serviced occasionally.
yeah, my wrists and arse hurts like crazy just after a couple minutes of casual riding in the city.

yeah, I do wanna get both for my laptop bag and stuff. Thank you anon! they did cost ~$43.99 or something like that per tire so yeah.
they never slip on tarmac, even in deep puddles, they are really soft for the streets but I'm rolling them anyway. yeah, lots of loss of energy but whatever.
>>
>>1612906
I bought a SLX shifter last year and it has a removable gear indicator
>>
When a cassette cog needs replaced can I buy just that specific cog or are they going to make me rebuy the entire cassette?
>>
>>1612919
Shimano CI Deck looks neat
>>
>>1613285
if you're not even vaguely evenly wearing your cassette you're probably a 1x on the road faggot or an ebiker douche.
changing a cassette is a pretty fucking rare occurrence anyway. And if you do the whole thing and a new chain it will all wear evenly.

I too would like if i could more easily buy single cogs to make custom cassettes, so i do feel your pain, but really, it's just nonsense, buy a new cassette.
>>
>>1613286
i dont understand why they arent integrated in the shifters
>>
>>1613286
lol i didnt know shimano made steampunk parts
>>
>>1613288
>why aren't there numbers on the piano keys
>>
>>1613285
Its better to go with a whole new cassette as there is unequal wear over all the individual sprockets/cogs so the store will rip you off by telling you that you have to get the whole cassette which is correct.
>>
>>1613274
>imagine thinking a helmet is necessary
>>
File: 1608659471038.png (719 KB, 1106x1012)
719 KB
719 KB PNG
>>1613295
Now we understand why you have brain damage, unracer.
>>
>>1613295
please wear a helmet.
I was saved when I once crashed and while sliding on my back hit my head on the curb once but the styrofoam helmet took the impact and broke saving my head from popping and a video of me ending on a rekt thread on /b/.
I was going 55-57km/hr on the road and lost front wheel traction falling on my side sliding on my back due to small but deep pothole I missed while taking a quick look for cars behind me and waving my arm to take a turn.

wear it.
don't die.
don't end up on a rekt thread.
>>
File: you.jpg (9 KB, 480x360)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>1613296
>>1613299
>>
>>1613299
There is no reason to wear a helmet when you can't go faster than 6mph
>>
>>1613302
yes, it look really retarded but a sacrifice worth making.
>>
>>1613303
there is no reason to make posts like this when you don't ride.
>>
>>1613305
Just because he rides slow doesn't make him not a rider.
>>
>>1613307
theres a difference between riding not riding not, riding and just riding
>>
>>1613303
wtf do you ride?! a kids bike?

my avg. 3x9 with a 1:3.99 final gear ratio can easily do 50-58km/hr(30-36km/hr) on a flat (no gradient) roar.

and if you've been on some good rekt threads on /b/ you should know it does not matter if you are not moving at all, you can be hit by a retard/out of control vehicle regardless.
you are better off having it worn as you might as well have lots of body fractures but one blow to the head and lots of bad things can happen that are order of magnitudes worse than a fracture or even total cutting off of limbs, etc.

don't take the rick anon, don't paint us in a bad light in public.
stop being a faggot and just wear one whenever you commute.
>>
>>1613119
>>1613120
I dunno it's cheap but it's still another standard youd have to deal with in your toolbox. Consider the convenience fee for you of not being able to stick a cheap clincher on there or having to buy glue.
I'd avoid it because it would be annoying long term to have one random unique wheel when everything else I have is clincher.
>>
>>1613243
If people can't figure out how to shift the solution is to learn. Not to get a computer to tell you when. The computer comes after.

This is why humans are getting more and more dumb and complacent.
>>
>>1613313
stop being a faggot foam hat evangelist.
>>
>>1613317
I am speaking with experience.
believe.
trust.
learn.
live.
don't die.
>>
>>1613316
not everyone is a genius, i see normie fucktards doing like a 30-40 rpm cadence on their dutch bike, you don't realize how fucking autistic you are for even posting on this board, you have like a savant like knowledge of cycling while normal people think cycling is just some trivial thing that doesn't need any studying or practice
>>
>>1613299
wearing a helmet for sure lowers the injury down a whole tier
and save a bunch of pain and medical treatment costs

minor bump = nothing burger slight headache
medium tenderized = hey you may be concussed but at least your not bleeding everywhere
helmet explosion tier = your skull bones might be saved
final destination = the helmet may reduce the disfigurement of your corpse
>>
File: no lad.webm (1.84 MB, 220x400)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB WEBM
>>1613299
i've done this skiing
caught an edge and smashed my head hard on a rock
>>
>>1613318
it's really too bad you didn't die.
>>
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/swiss-police-confirm-fernando-alonso-was-hit-by-car-while-cycling-490874

if he can get hit, you can get hit
>>
>>1613337
That retard ran a red light.
>>
>>1613338
that is the point.
some people are retarded.
you should be prepared.
don't be an autistic retard.
>>
how often do you guys clean your bike, or at least the chain?
>>
>>1613377
it's arbitrary, you just get some superficial dirt on the frame if you're not doing mtb or cyclocross. you should keep the factory lube on the chain as long as possible which could be thousands of miles.
>>
>>1613377
every couple rides, give the chain a quick wipe with a rag, then relube and wipe the excess off. if you do this frequently enough, the nasty, sticky gunk doesn't really start forming. if you want to be extra clean, use any dry lube or something like boeshield t9, which is a waxed-based lube. i do this for every bike. cleaning the rest of the bike depends on usage and how much you care. i don't clean my commuter more than once a month and it sees use 5-6 days a week. i wipe down my nice bikes after every ride, only because they see a fair amount use off-pavement; if you're riding on clean, dry roads then don't bother cleaning until you can actually see the dirt. i would wipe down any bike after use on wet roads.
>>
What jerseys should I get as a tall but rather slim guy?
The ones I've tried are always too short. I'm 195cm / 6'5".
Returned a Gore racefit today. On the way are Pearl Izumi and Torm.

>>1613275
post pic
>>
>>1613395
measure your waist lad
>>
>>1613395
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5s87a_WWNo
>>
>>1613403
real men don't sew
>>
>>1613407
tailors are still a thing
>>
>>1613409
those aren't men
>>
>>1613410
aw, did sir let you post today? don't get too uppity, now.
>>
>>1613412
My gf is at work, I can do whatever I want.
>>
>>1613136
bottom brackets. Used to be a clusterfuck that they've only recently fixed by making ultra torque universal. But you don't need to use campy cranks except maybe with Ekar.
Campy's chains also require their own tool but aside from Ekar you can just use KMC or Wipperman, tho in my experience KMC chains don't shift quite as well.
Disc brakes are mostly Magura although there is a Campy-specific tool for checking fluid levels.
>>
File: 546454546.png (61 KB, 698x183)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
Is this true?
>>
>>1613433
Yes. WD-40 on the chain sucks. I know this is subjective, but I also hate the smell so I don't see how people would want to use that shit for anything anyway.
>>
>>1613434
I just used it because my father told me it was good for the chain. It is a fucking degreaser so I have been using my bicycle without lube for long periods of time. I have to go to Decathlon and get some proper bicycle chain lube.
>>
>>1613449
Did you notice before reading that
>>
>>1613433
WD40 works for cleaning a rusty chain but doesn't lube worth anything
>>
File: R2067816_00.jpg (65 KB, 1080x1080)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1613433
clean, lubricate and protect is a weird meme
solvents and lubrication dont mix so well, the old lubricant gets wrecked and whatever new lubricant is introduced does not last long before gumming up
the "protects" part is a thin film of residue that will bind up any fine mechanism, its better for crude gate hinges or things that are already rusted beyond oblivion

unfortunately people misuse WD40 and CRC 556
along with "3 in 1 oil" (the 1894 version consists of light spindle oil, citronella oil and corrosion inhibitor)

real lubricant hours
submerge or coat in Denatured alcohol
leave to dry so that the alcohol evaporates
maybe the alcohol left behind no film, anyway flush out the last of it
use what ever oil is thin enough to get into the nooks and cranny's whilst also being thick enough to handle the load
.eg of oil that's too thin
,table way oil ,sewing machine oil ,hair clipper oil ,air tool oil
>>
>>1613458
I'm sure specialty ultra bike lube 9000 will make a huge and tangible difference
>>
>>1613451
No, I haven't noticed any noise or problem with the chain to be honest. I don't make long routes, maybe that is why.
>>
>>1613338
Wrong. He was cycling along a road, and the driver made a left turn to get into a parking lot and caged him.
>>
File: 1610437253806.jpg (17 KB, 480x466)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>1613460
>not waxing the chain in a crockpot with your own custom parrafin wax + oil mix
ngmi
>>
>>1613464
hey man what ever works
>>
File: EfXCE01UYAA8csO.jpg (41 KB, 798x644)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>1612237
I got a weird one for ya.
So I finally got some diaper shorts after years of denying that you needed them. obviously it's a lot more comfortable now and my sit bones/ass don't hurt at all, The problem is, and I can't really put this any other way, they make me nut. don't know whether the foam is averaging out the pressure so it's stimulating my prostate more or something but basically after half an hour or so I'm riding along with a massive load in my pants. It's not that inconvenient and I don't even mind that much, it's just gross.
basically, do I have a spandex fetish or something or am I just retarded? I don't want to go back now that I've experienced true ass comfort
>dial in your fit
my bike fit is bang on, thanks
>>
>>1613467
You're either trolling or this is the weirdest thing I've ever heard. I got nothing for you, man.
>>
>>1613467
I got a bit horny from wearing my bibs first couple times. the pressure on my genitals was real nice. One time I had to stop on a ride to rub one out.
My GF called my bib shorts "male lingerie"
>>
>>1613469
>>1613467
wtf is wrong with you people?
>>
>>1613469
>One time I had to stop on a ride to rub one out.
Maybe I should try this, thanks
>>
File: go now.jpg (70 KB, 1414x760)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>1613467
>>1613469
>>1613473
>>
>>1613403
impossible to watch twat tuber on too much amph. He's making a good point though. Will keep this in mind.

>>1613400
how tf would measuring my waist make jerseys longer
>>
>>1613484
Sorry I thought you meant bibs
>>
>>1613467
>>1613469
always wondered why people aren't putting the required padding in the saddle insted of the spandex daipers.
This is propably the rez
>>
>>1613433
WD40 is solvent mixed with a bit of lubricant, what you'd want for a chain lube is the opposite.
>>
>>1613467
>>1613469
same happens to me, nothing beats a good hard nut during a hard climb
>>
>>1613467
Cmon bro don’t let the secret out and ruin it for everyone
>>
>>1613467
yet another example that everyone vehemently against something is turned on by it
>>
>>1612911
I do it all the time when I dont have the correct tube on hand, or too lazy to patch.

And like other anon says, watch out for pinching and correct fit.

The one downside is a larger than needed tube is slightly heavier, maybe a gram or so, but only weight weenies would care
>>
>>1613144
>the worst a disk will do is burn you or slash your calf or thigh open in a crash
Bleed out and die from a deep cut or have severe nerve damage. Sounds way better than some broken bones.
>>
>>1613202
Stop watching anime.
>>
>>1613386
>you should keep the factory lube on the chain as long as possible which could be thousands of miles
No. Most of the time the factory oil is only there to prevent corrosion while the chain sit in it's package.
>>
>>1613403
>fag problems
>Oh no! My cycling clothes aren't (skin) tight enough on my pozzed body physique.
>>
>>1613395
Aero tech designs tall cycling wear out of pittsburgh. They make an awesome tall Jersey
>>
>>1613529
Your more likely to gash your leg off your chainring than a disk flying off at you.
>>
>>1613529
Oh boy, here we go.
>>
>>1613545
What? Let's just not pretend somehow rim brakes will cause your bike to disintegrate when going down a hill.
>>
>>1613534
you mean you should wipe off the excess goop from the factory. that shit attracts dirt like nothing else. it's fine inside the chain.
>>
>>1613546
It's more likely than this >>1613097.
>>
>>1613097
That's steam from heated water because the rotor is hot. How dumb are you people?
>>
>>1613548
I mean re-lube it shortly after installation and move on with your regular maintenance cycle. You don't have to go crazy and use solvents. Don't go a fucking thousand miles on that alone.
>>
>>1613551
>The factory lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of service
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
>>
>>1613529
Why is this always the de facto roadie argument against disk brakes, while this has literally never even been addressed as a possibility within the mtb side, which has been using primarily disk brakes for several decades
Now that i think about it, I’ve never seen the “slice yourself open on rotors” meme anywhere except /n/, and I’ve been following cycling for a long time
>>
with a dutch bike or a fixie you would hardly ever notice any problem with the chain. not that you'd voluntarily do any significant mileage on a dutch bike but you'd leave it outside in the rain and such but you might have a chainguard. maybe a road bike needs more maintenance but companies like kmc advise you not to remove the factory lube other than the excess, and i have seen chain endurance tests where they never relubed the chain. an mtb could need cleaning after every ride if you ride in muddy conditions.
>>
>>1613580
Dude you can feel the watts lost with factory anti-corrosion goop just with your hands
>>
>>1613582
>watts lost
Are you a professional cyclist? No? Then it literally doesn't matter.
>>
>>1613583
I’m not a professional racer, I’m fact I’m fat, therefore I need all the watts I can get my hands on to not die of cardiac arrest during my bike ride which is a surprisingly common way to die
>>
>>1613579
While I agree that it's a stupid argument, I will point out that more large pile-ups occur in road racing than in mountain biking, so the probability of being injured by a bike is increased. Again, I still think the whole "getting injured by a rotor" argument is stupid to begin with, but it at least has slightly more believably in a road racing scenario.
>>
>>1613584
If ~3 watts is going to kill you, you probably shouldn't be riding a bike.
>>
>>1613585
Furthermore why don’t road cyclists wear leg and arm protection since they’re 100% landing on rock when they fall while mtb has a good chance of landing on soft dirt or down an incline
Like some skid pads surely could make crashing on road 90% easier
>>
>>1613588
Like pros, or just recreational riders? For the latter, I hope crashes are far less common for road cyclists than mountain bikers. For pros, having something on your arms and especially legs that will offer any real protection is going to be pretty annoying when you're riding 100+ miles at a time.
>>
File: 73o4556g2ue21.jpg (92 KB, 642x730)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>1613299
based, I've replaced two helmets from bad crashes so far
First one was on a bmx going 30kph, hit a pole with the tip of my right bar, slid about 4m on my head, could barely walk afterwards.
Second was hitting a horizontal bar at dropout height ~20kph coz I wasn't looking where I was going, landed on my head hard, blacked out, split my lip, pretty sure I got some kind of concussion.
Wear your helmet folks.
>>
>>1613584
You need as much resistance as possible so you can lose weight faster fatty
>>
>>1613595
>First one was when I was being a retard
>Second was when I was being a retard again
k
>>
>>1613607
fernando alonso has top tier reflexes and situational awareness etc >>1613337
>>
I don't understand cranks. Why is a good crank good? Who will really benefit from spending a lot of money on a crankset?
>>
>>1613619
I hear the stiffness of a nicer crank can be noticeable, also it’s a good place you could potentially save a lot of weight from
>>
>>1613620
Makes sense. So on my 90s meme machine I shouldn't bother. Thanks.
>>
>>1613619
performance reasons (stiffness, lightness). By far the most important performance aspect of a crank is just having a good condition bottom bracket though, regardless of what that is.

durability (the interface which they fit on regardless of system, will wear, as will the extractor system if they have one, pedals threads can strip, chainring bolts especially get fucked up several ways and it's extremely annoying, chainrings themselves wear differently depending on quality

situationally, the actual gearing options they support, that's a big one. Really shit cranks you can't even change the chainrings. The bearings they use. A lot of cheaper cranks and meme cranks use bullshit standards which are hard/expensive to find bearings for, or the bearings suck.

aesthetics

like all things bicycle it's complicated. Or, if you want it to be, simple. If you don't have a problem, you don't have a problem.
>>
>>1613621
you should change/service the bottom bracket if there's play in it or it doesn't feel smooth. Shift to the inner ring, lift the chain off the crank, and have a spin, and try to wiggle it.

No, don't change the crank. That is, unless you want to change the gearing ratios and have a good plan to do so.
>>
>>1613619
>stiffness
helps power transfer and acceleration if you have big wattz or you're a fattyboombatty
>shift quality
flexy cranks and rings can make shifting suck more than it has to. tooth profile is also a big deal.
>reliability, servicability
not snapping in half because it's made of pot metal (hi shimano), not ruining its bearings after a week (hi isis), doesn't require weird tools that don't exist until park gets around to making them (hi campy powertorque...fucking idiots)
>chainline
important for shifting performance and drivetrain wear
>gearing
a couple teeth here or there can make all the difference in the world
>aesthetics
It's the centerpiece of the bike, and bikes should look nice
>retention
because you do full sends on anything that can be sent fully
>q factor
this can be a big deal for fit, low is usually best
>smoothness
once you go ceramic...
>accurate power meter
a must if you're a serious racerboi

the crank is the unsung hero of the drivetrain
>>
File: 1565938481946.jpg (1.95 MB, 1600x992)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
Hey /BQG/, I'm looking for some guidance/info on what I should learn about bikes. I know legit jackshit about bikes, have never changed a tire on one, the most I've done with one was removing rust and lubricating my chain recently.
Lately I've had to start commuting to work, about a 30 minute ride to and back, and figured I should learn more about bikes incase anything happens to this old bike I got as a teen.

First off, where should I look for info on how to maintain my bike and look for potential problems?

Also was thinking about grabbing a new bike since I'm gonna be commuting so often. I live in Southeast Alaska so snow and rain is very common, any special considerations I should remember and take into account due to the weather?
Was thinking of buying a fat tire bike since biking in the snow with regular tires sucks major fucking ass.

Also any comfy helmets /bqg/ would reccomend? My helmet is sorta tight and gives me headaches after riding with a headlamp on.
>>
>>1613655
fat bikes suck
>>
>>1613655
parktool.com
sheldonbrown.com
>>
>>1613655
how much snow do you have to ride through? you may find a plus tire bike like stuff from jones to be good enough - they have clearance for 3" tires. the problem with fat bikes is the cheap ones are big, heavy pigs that are exhausting to ride, and the ones that are decent are too expensive for what they are.
>>
>>1613655
I’d rather look for a good quality light, alloy XC bike with big enough tire clearance and a 2x drive so you can get through soft terrain and snow easily and you can cover a lot of ground on harder surface and roads. Fat bikes are a recreational device, not meant to go far.
Look for a good XC, Trek, Cannondale, Nukeproof etc...
>>
File: 1563657011385.jpg (550 KB, 1920x1422)
550 KB
550 KB JPG
>>1613701
Big thanks anon, I'll keep those bookmarked.
>>1613722
I'd have to guess about 3"? I'll have to come back to give you the exact info, but I believe thats the amount we usually get when it's snowing.
The biggest problem for me when is the snow plows leaving snow berms on bike lanes and just overall not plowing them.
>>1613725
Gotcha, thank you for the tips. Though those bikes are unfortunately a bit pricy for me since I'm saving up for college when physical classes can be held again. I'd say my budget for a bike would be from around $500 to about $850 max.

I don't know much, so I'm not sure if that's enough to get me a decent bike just for handling commutes.
>>
>>1613734
look at stuff from marin around that price point. if there's an rei near you, they probably have something decent too.
>>
>>1613577
>Yes, I trust the chinks to use top tier lube on my chains.
>Yes, I also will continue to use my dead bike guy website as a source, despite nearly everything coming out of chinkland at the lowest bottom line is now the norm.
>>
>>1613579
I'm just making the point that this scenario and a rim exploding due to braking are about the same: nearly non-existent.
>>
>>1613588
Ads weight and increases drag.
>>
>>1613742
kmc and shimano are nips
they know how to keep chinks in line
>>
File: IMG_20210223_121237039.jpg (1.59 MB, 1836x3264)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
Anons I have an issue
No matter how hard I try I can't the rear wheel to line up properly, it always stays a little bit to the left, pic related.
I have a quick release, and when it gets too much to the left i readjust the wheel, the brakes and sometimes the derraiuler too, but in less than a month it has the small tilt again, and it very noticeable when I put my thumbs near the bottom bracket on each side of the tyre, one goes in without problem and the other can't fit.
What do?
>>
>>1613742
>implying anyone actually buys chains that aren't kmc, shimano or sram
>>
>>1613750
it's either the qr isn't tight enough or the dropouts are misaligned.
>>
>>1613750
There isn't more than 1 correct place for the axle to be located in that frame (all the way back on both sides). You'd get away with your correction if you didn't have disc brakes, but your disc brake pulls heavily on one side and forces it back to where it should be sitting.
It means your axle is bent, or your frame is bent, or your rim is out of dish.
>>
>>1613734
cannondale quick 3
>>
>>1613750
>https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
If you scroll down to:
Checking Alignment (Symmetry)

sheldon details how you can check alignment.

also, i see a shit tier tourney mech. Do you have a freewheel instead of a cassette? If that's the case, i would suspect bent axle. Otherwise, it's highly unlikely.
>>
>>1613750
return the bike, it's just a ridiculously low quality disposable BSO for normies who don't know any better
>>
>>1613754
I believe the QR is tight, I had this problem a feel times and it is quite hard to close it, I need to pull on the frame

>>1613755
The axle was actually broken when I bought the bike used, when I pedaled har the tire would touch the frame, but I changed that some 2 months ago, and haven't really done to much since then, there no jumps where I live it is mostly gravel riding and some occasional climbing on curbs.

>>1613758
Yes yes it is a freewheel and tourney mech, this is considered a good mech here on hue land, not much chance on changing that for now :/
Also how can I check for bent axle?
Gonna check your site

Ty bros
>>
>>1613762
It was 1.100 reais used
On the site it says 1800 new
It was also a gift from dad, so no way to return it or complain much about it
>>
>>1613765
If you seat the wheel all the way back in the dropout (where it should be), is the wheel running at an angle, or is it running straight but just over to the left? And does it wobble as it spins?
>>
>>1613766
ok i guess it's rideable considering the price. if the price had been in US dollars it should have better precision though.
>>
>>1613585
It has actually happened several times in road races.
>>
>>1613403
this dude is absolutely tweaking out what the hell
why are """""youtubers"""""" like this?
>>
>>1613784
durianrider isn't like that. Granted he is going through a phase of depression right now, even unsubbed to hambini.
>>
>>1613786
I literally wasn't talking about either of those.
Rent. Fucking. Free.
>>
>>1613787
>why are """""youtubers"""""" like this?
>State example where they aren't
>REEEEE I WASNT TALKING ABOUT THAT
rent free indeed
>>
>>1613655
Helmets are a really personal choice and you have to try them on. Brands used to have a fairly consistent fit, like Giro for oblong skulls and Bell for round ones, but now it varies from helmet to helmet. Ferinstance a Bontrager XXX is perfect for me, while their Spectre hurts my head. Same company, same helmet tech, but one just doesn't work. Ventilation is also important, even in freezing temps if you're a hothead like I am. Make sure to get a helmet with MIPS or Wavecel that rates high on VT's list: https://helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html
>>
How do you find correct seat position for road bike, after a little bit of riding I get bad back pain and can't get comfortable
>>
>>1613762
>return the bike
>normies who don't know any better
Fucking off yourself, you arrogant piece of trash.
>>
>>1613793
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxRVphhR_Ww
Manon has you covered!
>>
>>1613750
I'd bet your dish/spoke tension is off. You''d be surprised how much of a difference a little tweaking can do. If you try yourself, make sure you're using the rim to determine if it's true and not the tire.
>>
>>1613786
>>1613788
ok hambone that's enough internet for today
>>
>>1613793
KOPS gets you close for the fore-aft position. Height is determined by the angle of the back of your knee at full extension, around 140°. Back pain can be caused by your handlebars being too low, so unslam that stem. You may also need to work on core strength. Riding requires good core strength but oddly doesn't actually help build it.
>>
>>1613577
Sheldon brown simply isn't an authoritative source anymore. Of you told him you were using a kmc chain he wouldn't recommend keeping the lube on it for a 1000 fucking miles retard.
What chain lube do you use that last for 1000 miles, anyway?
>>
>>1613537
Yes, I'd love to get one! I'm in the EU tho and together with shipping, tax and tariff this shit gets REALLY expensive.
This is my absolute last option
>>
>>1613800
>Riding requires good core strength
Does it really though or is this a meme? if it doesn't help built it, surely it isn't being called upon...
also I for one have zero core strength and [I'd like to think] I'm a decent rider.
Second the un-slamming of the stem though. Could also try moving the saddle further forward and a cm or so "too low", it really makes a huge difference. Road bike fit is so fiddly sometimes. once you've got it sorted you forget that.
Anyway, just get a car, what are you, poor?
>>
>>1613794
i had a shitty fixie i bought online, ended up returning it. it was supposed to have decent specs for the price but it was such a piece of shit in many ways, totally amateur company. not sure why you're so defensive, it's generally agreed that you should avoid BSOs, if you're broke you could look for 90s mtbs or vintage steel road bikes. even normies where i live buy "name brand" dutch bikes even though they're still cancerous hiten steel frames but they cost around $1000 new depending on the model.
>>
>>1613793
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNGMRtJ5LIc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkRGsbjfaZg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_anXhT2sg8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX3fKolI25Q
>>
>>1613810
Yeah. The core acts as a stabilizer so it's not bring actively recruited as much as the quads, but if you build it up you'll notice a big improvement in climbs and comfort. Also if you incorporate exercises like glute bridge raises and glute hamstring raises you'll exercise your hamstrings too.
>>
should i move my saddle forward if i feel like im squashing my nuts if I lean forward on the handlebars
>>
>have a vintage bike made in the 70s
>in excellent condition
>use it to go to work
>pass by a bike shop
>see that they have really nice bikes
>saw this bike for sale
>almost 2k

Should I get it? Would I see an improvement compared to my old bike?
>>
>>1613840
you should tilt it forward slightly
also you should work on your form
>>1613843
if your old bike is in as excellent condition as you claim, nah.
>>
>>1613813
>i had a shitty fixie i bought online, ended up returning it
No one cares. We're talking about that guy's rear wheel not your bike snobbery.
>>
>>1612340
yes it does, fucking ate my rims with a pair of chink brakes, where prolly made out of contcrete/asbestos
>>
>>1613853
his frame is probably fucked, maybe it was welded crooked or it got bent in a crash since the axle was broken. redishing the wheel won't fix it. he could perhaps shim the dropout to keep the wheel in place in the adjusted position.
>>
>>1613840
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmdCc_8e4vI
>>
>>1613861
Guy looks like a creep. I can't take any advice from him.
>>
>>1613860
>his frame is probably fucked
but it's probably still rideable if the tire isn't rubbing against the frame. a high end bike would be made very precisely, even the hambini horror stories are about some thousandths of an inch usually. but with a BSO you could just accept that the frame isn't perfectly straight.
>>
>>1613860
>>1613863
He just has a bent axle lol, super common in MTBs with freewheels.
The DGAF fix to make it rideable is to rotate the axle in place until it's straight, or at least the closest it gets. Eventually it'll snap the axle but at least that buys you time if you actually need the bike.
>>
>>1613864
from the pic i get the impression that the dropouts are not parallel. maybe it's just the pic.
>>
>>1613765
>Also how can I check for bent axle?
remove the wheel and lean it against a corner in your room or something so the wheel doesn't move. then turn the axle with your hand and see if the axle wobbles when it spins.
>>
>>1613865
Could be either of those, or maybe twisting by the QR's pressure. The hanger does look a bit bashed in though.
>>
File: image.jpg (2.26 MB, 4032x3024)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB JPG
This is a Presta valve, correct? I can’t connect my pump to it because it does not stick out far enough.
>>
>>1613869
yes, you fucked up
>>
>>1613870
Explain please
>>
>>1613869
That's what the little nut is for
>>
>>1613871
It's too short
>>
>>1613872
I’m not entirely retarded I unscrewed the nut. The issue seems to be that the pump connector can’t reach the body of the presta connector and there isn’t a proper connection
>>
>>1613874
Yes but how did I fuck up?? Can I just pull it out with pliers?
>>
>>1613876
You need a longer valve
>>
>>1613875
I meant that you pull the stem out and then put the outer nut on so it doesn't sink
>>
>>1613876
>Can I just pull it out with pliers?
Oh boy!
Sure, why not, try it right now. Use extra force if it sticks
>>
File: IMG_20210223_182536265.jpg (1.2 MB, 3264x1836)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>1613754
>>1613755
>>1613758
>>1613768
>>1613797
>>1613813
>>1613860
>>1613863
>>1613864
>>1613866
>>1613867

Im sure spoke tension is ok
I checked the wheel, and if the axle is this little metal thing inside the QR (pic related) than it is bent, I spun it a bit and it was very woobly.
And about the price and frame being fucked, I'm a little worried about that, it was a used bike so I can't say what the old owner was using it for, and it was my first real bike, so the only thing I knew was that it was size 15 and 29 inch wheels, with shimano on it.
Not having trouble with gears or brakes, I always regulate those, but it's just this tilt on the wheel that annoys me a lot, and that I couldn't fix, that I now know is a bent axle.

Do I have to change the axle now?
Or can I wait till it breaks or something?
Is it dangerous?

I have no money right now and won't be able to buty a new one (last time it was about 50 reais) só um hoping to keep this one, since the tyre isn't rubbing on the frame.

Also how does this happen? And how can I avoid it?
>>
>>1613898
Oh dude, that pic isn't good. There's like no axle there to actually sit in the dropout of the frame.
>>
>>1613869
Get longer presta valve tubes select tube 10mm longer than wheel depth
>>
>>1613808
My bro is 6'8" and Aero Tech Designs is the only jersey that fits him in the torso.
>>
>>1613900
What do?
The mechanic who changed it the first time told me he would put a different one, but I truly was a normies back them and knew absolutely nothing about bikes.
Do I have to buy a different one?
>>
>>1613750
If the wheel is secure, fairly true, doesnt rub you have no problem. Youd know if you had a bent axle as the bike wouldnt spin spoothly

Looks like a standard 500 usd mtb w tourney and mech discs. That type of bike gets shit on here but new tourney is fine. Your drops could be a bit misaligned or your wheel slighly out of true. No big deal at all.
>>
>>1613905
what does the other side look like?
>>
>>1613908
If pic is bad I will take out the wheel again and take another
>>
>>1613910
please clean your bike hue
>>
>>1613910
The axle itself (not the QR skewer) is too short. There should be more protruding on each side.
>>
>>1613911
I should have done that last week, but is too rainy here so I will wait a bit more to do that.
>>1613913
Will continue with this damage the bike?
Can I just buy another one and change them?
>>
>>1613915
>Will continue with this damage the bike?
>Can I just buy another one and change them?
I would change it as soon as you can. On the non-drive side, there's very little axle exposed, so just the QR is probably sitting in the dropout, which isn't good and will let the wheel move around. Replacing it isn't too hard, but I understand that everyone has different levels of mechanical ability. That bike/wheel looks like a pretty standard 135mm spaced rear end, so the axle should be 146mm with a 10x1mm thread.
>>
>>1613915
>but is too rainy here
rain will help in this case
>>
>>1613920
Not really, mud and street water everywhere
>>1613919
Ty for that, will search for one of those axles online.
>>
Ty anons
As always when I come here I always get a nice answer from nice people
Hope to be helpful too
Pic related is a comfy ride from a while back
>>
File: _57.jpg (47 KB, 640x489)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>1613869
Don't be afraid to think outside the box
>>
File: IMG-20201101-WA0027.jpg (86 KB, 1040x780)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>1613927
Forgot pic
>>
>>1613928
oh sweet baby Jesus. I cant imagine what the hell was going through this guys head when he did this..
>>
>>1613928
This is still a WHAT.
why not just buy a new tube?
>>
Guys which bike do I buy? I'm finding it really hard to do it. My autist ass did all the research of optimal characteristics for a mountain bike but now I can't find any bike that suits me and my budget ($300) and I can't trust an used one. What do I do?
>>
>>1613954
Buy a $300 bike that your autistic ass deems not 100% shit and change things for better parts as they break, then.
Realistically that's a bit more expensive on the long run if you want to bump the spec to where an e.g. $500-600 bike would be but also once you get a sealed BB and your fit items customized you don't really need to change anything till you wear the tires out.
Just remember to get the simplest kind of bike thay covers your needs (shy away from suspension and discs but don't necessarily avoid them) and don't get anything 650B, the wheel/tires are poorfag spec kryptonite.
>>
>>1613907
his bike is fine because its his bike and he can fix it or just ride it, all good. A bike is a bike. But
>new tourney is fine
dude he said when he bought the bike it had a bent axle and now he's in this mess because it got changed wrong
bent axles are a freewheel problem. New bikes with 8/9 speed+ like we constantly say, do not have freewheels, and do not have this problem. If you talk to any serious boomer they will tell you stories of bending axles on freewheel bikes. Cassette hubs are one of the main actual real technology progressions, even for casuals. And they came in, like 30 years ago.

this is a very good example of why tourney bikes are NOT 'fine'. They use archaic tech and it isn't reliable.
>>
>>1613954
do you live in a decent used bike market even?
Post craigslist
>>
putting a new back wheel on me bike, fucked up the brakes. no matter what i try i can't get the fucking brake pads to hit the rim, either that ot they grip the rim so the wheel wont spin while the lever aint pulled, please help, i already lost the front brakes because i changed the forks which dont support these type of brakes (disk brake forks on a front wheel motor ebike), they are weird as fuck with cables and sort of spring mechanism, anyway i can live with no front brake but i need me back brake, what do i do?

Please dont link a video, io watched them all and they only want to flog tools, they don't explain shit in a way that makes sense
>>
>>1613960
post a picture doofus
also realise that on a bicycle, your front brake is over 90% of braking power, because under heavy braking, your weight transfers forward, then the rear wheel has almost no weight on it, no traction, and no effect on braking aside from locking up and skiding.

It's ok if you're just gonna cruiser slow, but on an e-bike, it's crazy not to have a front brake. Also, seeing as you're an idiot and it's a ghettobuild, the other point of two brakes is incase one fails which sorry but sounds like it's on the cards here.
>>
>>1613796
Thanks
>>
>>1613915
the other anon is right
but bro, look out for a quick release cassette disc 29er wheel. It's a pretty standard size. You can fit a 7 speed cassette on any cassette hub, with spacers, or, ideally buy one with a 7 speed cassette on there already.

I don't mean like at bike shops, i mean like, as trash. I got 4 wheels from the tip the other day for $1. Pretty decent wheels too, just on junked bikes, crashed, rusted, etc.

a 7 speed cassette will be fully compatible with your current system with a 7 speed freewheel, just require adjusting, and it will shift much better because the cogs have shift guide ramps and stuff on them. I don't even mean this as an upgrade though, just that you can often find these kind of things for free if you know where to look and therefor it's a cheap solution to your issue.
>>
>>1613961
i dont have a camera, i have several but only 35mm.

I fucked up big time didn't I, i need the bike to get to work ffs, i thought i could manage with no front brake because the motor is there and when i cut power to the motor there is automatically some resistance and the bike slows pretty dramatically even with no brakes applied, I honestly think I can get by with the reat brake only, I don't go crazy on it, it's only 250w and not that quick even at full pelt.
>>
>>1613954
Ultimately you'll have to relax at least one of your requirements.
I suggest stalking your local craigslist, buy stuff that you know is undervalued, and just take them out on free test rides before selling. You'll probably learn what actually matters to you, rather than what people online say.

And If you're super paranoid about durability, just buy an old steel bike.
>>
>>1613967
ok just realize your stopping distance is huge and leave yourself a huge margin of error. like don't expect to be able to stop if a car pulls infront of you

anyway, for your rear brake,
If you don't have a bike workstand, strap the front wheel to the top tube so it stays steady while you do this, make your life a lot easier.
Unclamp the brake cable at the caliper, and try closing the caliper with your hand. Do the brake pads hit the rim evenly (or better yet, toed in a little)? Do the brake arms pivot smoothly?
Then, hold the cable end with your hand, and use the brake lever. Does it pull in and out smoothly, with little friction?
And do both the brake, and the lever, spring back?

If those things are good, then you should be able to hook it up and make it work, even if the parts are not compatible (wrong pull ratio), which is a thing. But if they aren't you need to fix that specific issue.
>>
>>1613969
>buy stuff that you know is undervalued
If he's a noob then he doesn't fucking know dude. Millenial autists like to be able to research everything online, extensively, and come to some sort of faux-complete understanding of the 'smart' way of doing that thing without ever having done it before. Which means they can't really do most things because most things don't actually work like that, but they'd like them to.
>>
>>1613959
I live in the third world
>>1613956
Thanks man
>>1613969
>just buy an old steel bike
hmmm
>>
>>1613970
Thank you, i'll try this now
>>
>>1613960
it's kind of hilarious that you did an e-bike conversion and deleted your front brake
i respect that level of incompetence and ballsy project bullshit
>>
>>1613965
honestly, i want to change this bike for 26 wheel, im very very short.
but that will only happen next year, and i need this bike for commuting, and was thinking this little wheel tilt was my fault for misplacing or not fitting something right.
and all the bike stuff here are crazy expensive, i don't know whats wrong with people, but a cassette wheel here would probably be more expensive than the 26 inch wheel bike.
im unemployed but my gf is working and i always go with her back home, since its late at night.
i will be looking online for a used cassette or something, but i was not aware of these differences on cassettes and freewhell, gonna try to upgrade those on my future bike for sure.
>>
>>1613974
>I live in the third world
why would you not just say which country dude
you might still have an online bike market too, no?

your options will just be worse if you didn't have a bunch of richfags living locally to you in the 90s buying nice bikes then.

I would still probably recommend a used bike at that point, but i don't agree at all to 'just buy a steel bike', be a bit discerning lol. If you have options post them here and we can advise
>>
>>1613977
i understand the extreme poorfag struggle dude. good luck to you
>>
>>1613924
Do you have to force your frame open to get the wheel inside? It's possible that the axle is the proper length, but the OLD is too big. That is, swap out spacers until the distance between the outermost nuts matches the inside of the frame.
>>
>>1613978
Online market is generally useless for poorfags in the third world since it's all "I know what I got" guys charging first world prices.
OTOH the "get a nice old bike for $50" meme is still alive when shopping locally and you can buy random chink OEM parts for REALLY cheap too if you need a quick fix. Like, good enough shimano-clone RDs and actually decent vbrakes for $5 cheap.
>>
File: 1610114634209.jpg (66 KB, 960x907)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>1613979
ty bro
>>
>>1613740
>>1613722
>>1613725
Went and found out what bike I have. I have a 2012 6000 from Trek, gonna get actual pictures of it after work to see if I have problems with it that I'm not seeing.

If it's not in too bad of a shape, I'll probs try to fix it up as much as I can.
Thanks for all the info so far anons, really helpful so far.
>>
>>1613985
i got my PROMAX chink tier v-brakes from a bso that got hit by a car and thrown on the side of the road and rusted out for like a year and they work ok lol
>>
>>1613990
Yeah man, that's a pretty decent bike. Hopefully it's in good shape.
>>
>>1613995
It probably isn't, I haven't used/maintained it much in the years I've had it, and only just now have started seriously riding it. Still haven't cleaned any mud off it from the past few weeks.
>>
>>1613998
buy a chain wear tool
do all the bearings
recable it
>>
>>1613983
There is a little struggle, but very little, never felt like anything was the wrong size
Also sry for late answer, failed to notice the (you)
>>
>>1613281
this
>>
>>1612906
If you can't extrapolate that info based on what gear you started in and how much you've shifted combined with your current approximate speed and cadence, then I don't know what to tell you, bud.
>>
>>1613995
>>1614010
Got the pictures, are there any issues with it besides the mud and shit?
https://imgur.com/a/TZKF2bV
>>
File: 1589557494593.png (302 KB, 500x437)
302 KB
302 KB PNG
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/blendr-integration/elite-blendr-stem-and-blendr-accessories/bontrager-elite-blendr-stem-legacy/p/23233/
>bontrager elite stem, 2019/20 version
>the one that came on my bike

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-stems-seatposts/bike-stems-accessories/bike-stems/bontrager-elite-stem/p/31465/
>bontrager elite stem, 2021 version
>same price as the old one was
>noticeably bulkier behind the clamp bolts and 30g heavier

So I assume that's the spot I need to be checking for cracks every day...?
>>
Does anyone here know anything about Bromptons? I'm unsure whether to get an official or thirdparty (titanium etc) rear rack for my M6L.
>>
>>1614130
>ti rack
ehhhh
>>
>>1614099
again, buy a chain wear tool, and check all the bearings are smooth with no play (hubs, bottom bracket, headset). To check the bottom bracket shift to the small cog, then lift the chain off the chainring, so you can spin the crank freely.
>>
How much do i put my frame at risk by overextending the seat post beyond the advised maximum? The way i currently extend it still leaves the end of the seat post about 2-2,5 cm below the underside of the top tube. I mainly ride bike paths and some gravel. I'll probably get a new one anyway just wondering.
>>
File: do_it_faggot_rice.jpg (78 KB, 400x300)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>1613876
>Can I just pull it out with pliers?

lmao
>>
>>1614110
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000322616354.html
>>
>>1614200
Seems to be some confusion, I'm trying to *not* die.
>>
>>1614162
>2cm
large risk
>>
>>1614110
Yep
I would strongly think about replacing it before it cracks
>>
>>1613910
>>1613898
Old owner either
>put a too-many-gears freewheel on and moved the axle to the right
in which case you need to go down 1 gear and shift it left slightly
or
>old owner lost original thinner locknuts and replaced them with thicker ones
in which case you get the correct thickness (not WRENCH size) nuts. It also looks like you have a spacer in there on the right side. If the nuts are right the spacer could be too long, like if it was taken from a parts bin when the owner dropped the original.
>>
>>1614210
>>1614110
Get a better stem plug?
>>
>>1614162
8cm of insertion should be ok
>>
>>1614110
If it's any comfort, I've worked at a Trek dealer for 15 years and haven't seen any issues with their stems.
>>
>>1614162
Set the bike on fire and run
>>
File: durianrider.png (5 KB, 203x65)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
rimjob bros wtf?
>>
>>1614370
he's being sarcastic
>>
>>1614386
He's not though. He says he loved them and only likes rim for when he needs to save on time.
>>
What kind of bibs do you guys wear? I need another pair and i'm curious to other brands to try and see if I like them better.
>>
>>1614448
I haven't bought any in like 10 years, so take that for what it's worth, but I've really liked my Castelli, Rapha, and Assos bibs.
>>
File: 1607476037114.jpg (47 KB, 397x604)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>1614448
>over 4 years old
>wearing "bibs"
>>
recommend me some cool looking bike bottles pls

coca cola design one, cinelli or fake rapha from ali are in the race currently
>>
>>1614571
ok lads, I think I'm sold on the "BRAAAPP SABBATH" one
>>
Probably a real retard question.
In order to change cables and housings for front and back brakes and gear shifters I need
> x2 1.2 meter shifting cables
> x2 1.2 meter shifting cable housings
> x2 1.2 meter brake cables
> x2 1.2 meter brake cable housings
Is that Correct?
>>
File: 1613609317491.jpg (55 KB, 342x316)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>1614574
yikes
>>
>>1614601
you'll have housing left over but yeah
you also need ferrules and little thingys to crimp on the cable end to stop it fraying

and a cable cutting tool

you could buy a kit? They come with end caps and ferrules.
>>
>>1614611
Yeah I saw Shimano had kits. Prelubricated and everything. Something like 7 euro or 10 dollars for 1.
>>
>>1614480
>being this insecure
>>
I have a weird pain that runs up the back of my leg up to my sit bone on my right side. It just randomly came about after I cycled a bunch yesterday. Any idea what it might be?
>>
>>1614686
>being this gay

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.