[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 27 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: download.jpg (12 KB, 300x168)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
Why are there people obsessed with trains and railways?
>>
>>1608979
Why are people obssesed with cars & trucks, whose form of life depends entirely upon those machines even?? Many such cases
>>
>>1608979
If you don't get it you'd never understand
>>
Don't tell me this is the OP obsessed with spergs who makes threads shitting on the whole idea of train enthusiasm again
>>
>>1608979
Because railway is a system, and autists like systems.
>>
>>1608979
Autism
>>
>>1609350
Don’t have anything against railfans, I don’t shit up those threads. I actually think a lot of those older trains are cool. I just think hsr is a bad idea for the us.
>>
>>
>>1609453
>I just think hsr is a bad idea for the us.

How can I get to such levels of stupidity?
>>
>>1608979
Why are people obsessed with bicycles and shitting on cars?
Why is water wet?
Why does this thread exist?
>>
>>1609701
Idk, I got here by thinking rationally about the limitations of rail travel as a whole, the parabolic acceleration of technology in the last couple of years, the geography of the United States, the low taxes that have made this country so desirable to immigrants for year, the revitalization of the auto industry through electrification, the increased research into sustainability from the aerospace industry, and more.

I just don't see a reason to go whole hog on last century technology right now and pay billions for it.
>>
It's simply autism. Trains go on predictable paths and this is what appeals to autistic people.
>>
>>1610182
This. I literally blew an autists mind when I explained to him that this is why he likes trains.
>>
File: 1540114065548.gif (1.91 MB, 480x480)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB GIF
>>1608979
Because trains are the best. GTFO if you think otherwise.
>>
File: 1611649313854.jpg (185 KB, 1148x746)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>1610189
I'm not autiste, but I've always loved trains. How do you explain that?
>>
>>1610275
>Trains go on predictable paths and this is what appeals to autistic people aka (You)

He actually shook my hand and thanked me for that. It's like I unlocked some layer of self-awareness within him. Idk man, autists are weird.
>>
>>1608979
Because they are cheaper in the long run and can transfer more people
>>
I didn’t understand it at all until I went to Britain and actually rode a decent train.
>>
File: 1612455211219.jpg (67 KB, 786x719)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>1610347
You have a point. I've always loved trains though. I just think they are a pleasant and efficient means of travel provided you have no blacks
>>
>>1610691
I misread your post tbqh. I thought you asked how I explained it to him. Personally I like trains as well but more in a general engineering and historical sort of way. I could never match up to a true autist.
>>
File: 1588041753221.jpg (102 KB, 674x667)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>1610694
Am I autistic if I like train sets? I have a few that I really like and have liked them since I was a kid.
>>
>>1610404
>went to Britain and actually rode a decent train.

You sure it was Britain and not Germany?
>>
>>1610404
>decent train.
Depending on when/where that was, you may have been lucky enough to get a loco hauled train with real (≤mk4) coaches instead of the shiny plastic globocap shit that's rapidly becoming the usual. or a BR era MU that wasn't built by Leyland, those are ok...
>>
>>1609651
Underrated
>>
>>1610868
If you come from America or Australia, British trains are like sci-fi in comparison, regardless of what the Brits think of them.
>>
autism.
>>
>>1609794
>parabolic acceleration of technology in the last couple of years
This has not happened, especially in the transportation industry.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/despite-what-you-might-think-major-technological-changes-are-coming-more-slowly-than-they-once-did/

>I just don't see a reason to go whole hog on last century technology
I see you think you're smarter than the Japanese and the French and the Chinese and the Spanish.
>>
>>1612613
>I see you think you're smarter than the Japanese and the French and the Chinese and the Spanish.
We unironically are and I don't want to be anything like France, Spain, China, or Japan
>>
>>1609453
it makes sense in the northeast corridor region between Boston and DC at least because it already gets a lot of travel and it's electrified already, so there isn't much work left to do other than upgrade the aging infrastructure to the 21st century and buy a small amount of land in Connecticut to straighten track between NYC and Boston
>>
I trav on a long distance regional train constantly and they call the train obsessed “gunzels” for some reason, they’re fucking pests
>>
>>1612618
>We unironically are and I don't want to be anything like France, Spain, China, or Japan

Now I know IQ ain't the best measure, but averages follow:
China, 105; Japan, 105; France, 98; Spain, 98; USA, 98.

You're worse than the two countries with the most HSR and identical to the cucks in the other countries. And I'm being generous when I say "you" specifically.
>>
>>1611474
This. Being American I found the whole British rail experience really impressive. I was 21 years old, I didn’t know or care about all the intricacies.
Now I’d just be glad to see any higher-speed rail network here (as would most Americans).
>>
>>1612865
>buy a small amount of land in Connecticut
Back when the first EIS studies were coming out the communities along the current NEC screeched tooth and nail against them. Those are some of the most wealthy postcodes in the country, where the wall streeters who want to raise kids in the suburbs go. Just buying the land even without NIMBY shit going on is going to be painful, there's a reason that one proposed alignment goes right on top of I-95 and the other steers the fuck away from the area and goes through Hartford
>>
>>1610691
based
>>
for me it's not incomprehensible autistic obsession about systems and networks and other convoluted shite
i just like how trains look. it's that simple
>>
>>1613447
I don't care dude
>>
I just got offered a job as a train driver.
Don't even like trains that much, only applied because I needed something covid proof.
>>
>>1613947
>I just got offered a job as a train driver.
honestly don't believe you. A position like that is comically hard to get into as an outsider, which I assume you are as you "don't even like trains that much".
>>
>>1613459
>muh hsr
it isn't happening in shartmerica, simple as. let it go.
and be glad it isn't happening. if it did, you'd be paying for it out of your taxes for the rest of your life, and despite that you would never get to use it anyway because you'd be dead before it was finished.
>>
>>1613949
We'll ok, but I did. I'm fully aware it's insanely hard, the aptitude tests alone are pretty difficult, but it helps if you're not a railway sperg and can interview well.
>>
>>1613949
>A position like that is comically hard to get into as an outsider
very much the opposite. They are always looking for skilled and qualified professionals, not enthusiasts.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.