[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 47 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is /n/ into /mapping/? I feel like this board suit it well

Post cool maps, anything goes.
>Transit
>city maps
>your art
>old cartography
>data viz
>anything else

Also anyone into qGis or OSM?
>>
File: IMG_20210131_010859.jpg (3.36 MB, 4096x2903)
3.36 MB
3.36 MB JPG
>>
>>1603385
>qGis
Only tried it a bit for a school project in an unrelated subject to present historic landcover from aerial photos, with the most basic features
>OSM
Guess the number of editors here can be counted by 1 hand, although more would have contributed GPS tracks to Strava (unknowingly to OSM) in the past.
>>
>/n/ - maps
>>
>>1603439
Maps are highly relevant to transportation.
>>
>>1603442
from op:
>anything goes
>your art
>anything else
>>
>>1603443
post some transit maps then
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (183 KB, 1280x720)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>1603439
As long as I can remember, /n/ has always had transit map threads.
>>
File: all.png (579 KB, 2526x1785)
579 KB
579 KB PNG
>>1603501
Wow how old is this. Full of history.
>>
>>1603501
what a horrible map jesus christ
>>
>>1603502
>expecting Houston to Austin travellers to take a huge detour to San Antonio
>not directing the Houston San Antonio route through Austin at a minor detour and achiving a better overall solution as well as lowering construction costs
Fucking idiots. In fact you could build a star with Austin at the center for less than the cost of the phase 1 arrow and then MAYBE connect Dallas directly to Houston.
>>
File: moscowmetro.png (1.53 MB, 2028x2362)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB PNG
>>1603501
lmao that's horrendous
>>
>>1603503
>half the stations unnamed, not even fucking tokyo station is properly named
>irrelevant mita line stations named
>no landmarks other than maybe imperial palace and shinjuku gyoen
>odaiba in the same landmass as the rest of the bay
Why the fuck is it so hard to make a proper transit map of Tokyo? Haven't seen a single good one in my entire life
>>
File: map.png (1.18 MB, 3000x3000)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
>>1603514
Only westerners can make decent subway maps for some reason.
>>
>>1603517
That's a misunderstanding. I quickly grabbed the largest sized pic from their website. Appears this is an underlay or png generated from dynamic svg. It makes a good quiz.
https://www.tokyometro.jp/lang_en/station/index.html
https://www.tokyometro.jp/lang_en/station/202006_number_en.pdf
>>
>>1603514
Too little mainline train lines shown.

>>1603525
>subway
JR East already makes a better one including metro with numbers in "modern" design style.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/downloads/pdf/numbering_e.pdf
>westerners
Tourist maps are different, and individual companies have their own priorities. It would be even more chaotic to map all the train routes.
Some few secondary station names that exist are announced only (eg Meidiya-mae), or for certain lines' at an interchange station (eg Sankei-mae, Yomiuri-shimbunsha-mae).
>>
>>1603540
>Meidiya-mae
Although this and a few others are added from the department stores financing and building the stations. Oshiage "Skytree-mae" is like the sole well-known augmented station name.
>>
File: Expanded MBTA Map.png (827 KB, 6500x4250)
827 KB
827 KB PNG
So I made this fantasy map of Boston's MBTA
>>
>>1603557
And this fantasy map of mainline rail services on the DelMarVa peninsula, which is too big to post directly. Thoughts on both?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-heUAbXaC3H4jZdL6XHpngr2_zUzOTNL/view?usp=sharing
>>
File: sthlmstrejk-gr.png (138 KB, 2640x2208)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
>>
File: sthlmstrejk2.png (203 KB, 2641x2208)
203 KB
203 KB PNG
>>1603573
>>
>>1603525
I miss Paris so much... I can't wait to come back home
>>
>>1603526
Hmm, okay, makes sense now. Still doesn't explain why Odaiba and other reclaimed lands are in the same landmass, or why the background is so featureless and has virtually nothing that aids someone who just came to the city for the first time. Tokyo Tower, Skytree, a green Shinjuku-gyoen, Ueno Park, etc.
>>
>>1603540
I gotta say this is one of the best maps I've seen so far. Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>1603540
>no yurikamome
btfo
>>
File: Troysel.png (54 KB, 1112x863)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>>1603385
My attempt to make a map in the style of gta 4's liberty city
>>
What programs do you guys use to make these things? Do you just cobble them together in GIMP or is there a tool?
>>
>>1603738
You can use illustrator or learn the technical way by using qgis and upload osm data or what have you. Tbh you can just be creative and try any method but those two are the standars I guess
>>
>>1603691
>Odaiba and other reclaimed lands are in the same landmass
They flat out don't draw any rivers inland. This one at least drew the "bay" of the main Tokyo port harbour basin in the west after the First Fairway
>background is so featureless
They don't even label the patch of green in the center in the Imperial Palace. Like what I said, probably a railway company operation dissociated from tourism (usually in pamphlets along tourist passes) and tourist organization (from the governments).
>>
>>1603738
>>1603776
>osm
You can use Maperitive. Something to be aware of is how to handle `natural=coastline`, since sea areas will be non-closed.
>>
>>1603700
No private railway. Toden Arakawa Line, Tokyu Setagaya Line, Kanazawa Seaside Line, or Nippori-Toneri Liner either. It's a deliberate design choice. Too much too fit (the Suica overview is broad). They also run on Tozai and Chiyoda Line.
It's peculiar Tokyo Metro and Toei still shows TCAT. Both them and JR East don't show much more interchange info. Shinkansen labeling is also poor.
>>
>>1603818
>TCAT
I mean JR East has JR East Bus, and the Metropolitan Government has stakes in the Shinjuku et al bus terminals. Water-bus, ferry, and cruise terminals are ignored. To be pedantic, no park-and-ride (including bicycle) labels. They lack attention on cityscape and inter-modal connection, essentially jumping to apps and MaaS shit.
>>
File: no_fun_allowee.jpg (92 KB, 488x516)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>1603443
>>1603439
you're being autistic
and that's saying something considering this is /n/
>>
What do you think of the proposed Berlin transit map?
Note the return of the "dog's head" shape of the Ringbahn. This is geographically accurate and was a constant in Berlin transit maps from 1896 to 1931 when it was changed for a circle.
>>
File: berlin_2019.jpg (426 KB, 2000x1414)
426 KB
426 KB JPG
>>1604003
Current map for reference
>>
>>1604003
>circle
>>1604005
The rectangular ring isn't bad. This has too many curves both on its own and compared to other routes. Can be simplified.
>>
File: atlanta.png (442 KB, 583x606)
442 KB
442 KB PNG
Imagine how much nicer it would be to drive through Atlanta if these proposed routes got built
>>
>>1604053
I think it's cute and nice to hark back to a unique and iconic shape. However I agree that all the curvy lines get confusing. I wish they'd only gone with the dog head and left everything else geometric. One organic shape would help to make the map interesting and eye catching without cluttering anything up.
>>
>>
File: tube-map.gif (650 KB, 2483x1832)
650 KB
650 KB GIF
Alright, debate of the century:
London Tube map or NY subway map? Why?
>>
>>1604351
>>
>>1604064
Imagine how much shittier Atlanta would be if we had even more massive freeways tearing through the city
>>
>>1604353
Yeah we can see how well routing all of the region's traffic onto a handful of highways with almost no alternate routes has worked. Astute thinking anon
>>
>>1604362
Because everyone knows highways and cars are the only feasible transportation system.
>>
>>1604364
Move to NYC if you want to ride the subway
>>
>>1604367
Fuck off back to /o/ if you don't want to talk about transportation
>>
>>1604369
Cars and trucks and highways are transportation, anon :)
>>
>>1604371
Cars and highways suck almost as much as the map you posted. This thread requires COOL maps
>>
>>1604064
>Imagine how much nicer
Yes, they can be tolled.
>to drive through Atlanta
This is your first mistake.
>if these proposed routes got built
Yes, then the Downtown Connector and I-20 can be downgraded.

>>1604362
>how well routing all of the region's traffic onto a handful of highways with almost no alternate routes has worked
That's what you get from your shitty thinking of aligning any Interstates directly onto the city center traffic planning-wise.

>>1604367
Move to a fuck middle of nowhere if you want to drive in a straight line to anywhere you want.
>>
>>1604387
>Yes, they can be tolled.
>This is your first mistake.
>Yes, then the Downtown Connector and I-20 can be downgraded.
Pure delusio/n/.

>That's what you get from your shitty thinking of aligning any Interstates directly onto the city center traffic planning-wise.
The route of the Downtown Connector follows the route of the previous Highway 41, which was already a freeway there by the time the interstates arrived. Before Hwy. 41 it was the Dixie Highway, and had historically been the primary north-south route through town, even before cars came along. Why are you surprised an interstate follows it now? It wasn't just carved out of the city, it was the established artery.

>Move to a fuck middle of nowhere if you want to drive in a straight line to anywhere you want.
Never said I did.
>>
>>1603559
A place I'm fond of, would be nice to have rail service along the corridor to Wallops even if it can't cross the marsh to Chincoteague. There's a lot of dying towns along the Rt. 13 corridor, but Parksley has a nice railway museum.
>>
>>1604400
So after Atlanta purchases and tears down thousands of homes, businesses, and industries to build more interstates, fucks the traffic for 10 (or 20) years building everything, do you think the traffic problem would be permanently fixed?

Or do you realize the congestion would just be back to 2021 levels in a couple years because even more people will be driving cars because the city is constantly growing and they didn't invest in anything except interstates?
>>
>>1604428
Exactly--it wouldn't be so bad today if we had built all of the routes in >>1604064 decades ago
>>
>>1604442
Are you familiar with the concept of induced demand?
>>
>>1604449
Yeah. It's an academic buzzword.
>>
>>1604442
If they built the routes decades ago you and the other anon showed, then traffic today would just be worse but at a higher level. More highways back then would've just pushed more people to drive, more people move in who want to drive, cycle repeats. The same problem would exist today, just at a higher scale. It's not something they can easily build out of. A difference might have been noticed today if investment in transit was made decades ago instead, but we'll never know! This is coming from someone who lived through a highway widening project in childhood where I used to live. Traffic was bad as a kid, they added a new lane, traffic is still bad 11 odd years later.
>>
>>1604466
No, it's a recognized and provable phenomenon in economics and transportation engineering.

Just out of curiosity, do you live in Atlanta, an Atlanta suburb, or somewhere else entirely?
>>
>>1604468
It's fun/sad to think about where Atlanta would be today if MARTA construction hadn't stalled and was instead constantly expanded.

Instead we have $10 billion express lane projects.
>>
>>1603512
You think that’s bad? Look at Vegas! No connection to Denver, San Francisco or SLC.
>>
>>1604449
Yeah, it’s a lie.
>>
File: marta_1996.jpg (105 KB, 960x720)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>1604478
No, it's a buzzword that means the same thing as demand, but sounds a bit sinister.

>Build highway
>Highway becomes popular
>This is entirely surprising and unexpected

>>1604480
>It's fun/sad to think about where Atlanta would be today if Marta construction hadn't stalled and was instead constantly expanded
People pin the blame on outlying counties, but that is only part of the reason. Very little expansion has happened inside the Marta tax district--the last new stations opened two decades ago. There are stub tunnels for the connection already built just past Arts Center, before you exit the tunnel. Same story out on the east line Dekalb County, where no new construction has happened since the Olympics, the proposed busway was never built either. I get the impression the agency and the governments Marta serves don't prioritize its expansion, either.

For example, if the northwest line had been built even to just Northside Drive, it would make selling an extension, even a piecemeal one, possible. But as it stands now such a project is stillborn. And the debacle of the streetcar to nowhere has, imo, made transit a politically toxic issue in the metro area. I don't think it will be very long lived, but it seems to suggest that a bad transit project can set future transit expansion back to some degree.

>Instead we have $10 billion express lane projects.
It's not as if that money could have been used for transit, it's nearly all paid for with bonds that will be paid off with tolls.
>>
Fucking Based
>>
File: marta1990s.gif (13 KB, 720x720)
13 KB
13 KB GIF
>>1604493
A more detailed unofficial map of Marta from the early to mid 1990s. Only the North Line was built.
>>
>>1604400
Pure delusi/o/n lol.
>had historically been the primary north-south route through town, even before cars came along
>wasn't just carved out of the city, it was the established artery.
That's the even stronger reason why any new "freeway" should bypass it. Doesn't matter what it's built along.
>>
>>1604683
>That's the even stronger reason why any new "freeway" should bypass it
Hmm yes let's not connect our already existing freeway on the main north-south route through town to the new interstate highway system
>>
Nobody made metro x maps of their city.
>>
>>1604493
C O M F Y
O
O
M
F
Y
>>
I use ArcGIS at work almost daily.
>>
>>1605692
My condolences Anon you poor sod. Fuck me ArcGIS is such a piece of trash. How these people have the gall to charge 10,000$ per seat for software that hasn't changed since the nineties is beyond me. Please do yourself a favor and get into QGIS as soon as you can. It takes a bit of getting used to but trust me after a couple days you are never looking back.

Fuck ESRI and fuck Shapefiles.
>>
>>1604348
Reminds me of clapham junction and friends.

https://cartometro.com/cartes/metro-tram-london/
>>
>>1605789
On the ground, it looks like this
>>
>>1605789
Where did you find that jpg lol
>>
>>1605692
>No bus line stopping at the Airport
Fucking Cincinatti, will always have shit transportation
>>
>>1605794
>>1605789
Jesus christ, they should bury it underground and build at least 20 flying junctions like a tunnel segment, similarly to how Sydney is building their underground highway spaghetti junction
>>
>>1605794
/n/‘s ideal city
>>
>>1606064
The airport actually got a big frequency boost last week in terms of bus service as part of TANK's new bus network.
>>
>>1606067
>they should bury it underground
Why?
- Astronomical cost
- Numerous service interruptions for years while being constructed
- Makes maintenance more challenging
- Any additional capacity will be difficult and expensive to add
>>
File: Waterloo.jpg (1.03 MB, 4520x3432)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
Here was my personal best attempt at a transit diagram, a test plot of the iXpress (express bus) and ION (light rail) in Waterloo Region, Ontario. I accidently deleted the original file, but I plan to redo it and make other maps when I get the time. I use AutoCAD, not really a conventional software for doing graphic design.

The lines are drawn at 30 degree angles, and I reference geographically accurate maps to determine the most appropriate angle for the diagram.

Stops are spaced equally along each span, but do not go below a minimum distance.
>>
>>1605789
lol @ the weaving Overground line from Wandsworth to Clapham Jct
>>
>>1604003
Much more readable than >>1604005
I love it.
>>
>>1606067
The line is elevated and the area is not very populated. There is no need for flying junctions because each train already comes in the correct tracks towards their destination.
>>
File: atlanta beltline.png (715 KB, 1281x1600)
715 KB
715 KB PNG
>LRT (proposed)
>>
>>1603738
CAD software would probably be what actual professionals use.
That field is a fucking nightmare, though.
I'm glad I only got to glimpse into it in my minor, and probably won't have to deal with it in person for the rest of my life.
I'd rather program a new utility from scratch than ever use Autodesk again. Fuck that company.
>>
This is current metro map of my city
>>
File: persp_nov.gif (517 KB, 1500x1058)
517 KB
517 KB GIF
>>1611795
Same map, with official future expansion plans. Two stations situated on the western end of green line are under construction. They'll open by the end of this year, hopefully.
>>
File: peakperf.png (45 KB, 1636x662)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
Anyone who actually works with mapping and rail infrastructure here?

>You may not like it, but *this* is what peak rail performance looks like.
>>
Y most 1 when many do?
>>
>>1611820
>tfw still working with a 16-year-old version of MicroStation at my (roadway, not rail) civil engineering job
>>
File: TPEmap.png (132 KB, 591x992)
132 KB
132 KB PNG
Oh yes
>>
>>1612847
I know these maps usually take a bucket full of liberties for aesthetics and clarity, but that's hilariously distorted holy shit
>>
>>1612855
The best TPE map before things went to shit and most of the red stuff was palmed off to Northern
>>
>>1612673
I could live with old software if it had anti-aliasing and multithreading. Oh well, guess there's a reason we get paid.
>>
>>1611732
Nah not CAD, especially for a distorted map like transit generally is. As another anon said, Illustrator is a likely one to use as these maps are more graphics then geography. IF one was making a geolocated and accurate map (i.e. each station and line is at their real coordinates), then GIS (ArcMap/ArcPro specifically) can be used. I've done such an exercise many times when we need to show our study area with the nearby transit. Shapefiles and KML data already exist from most agency sources (i.e. NYC Open Data portal), so we download it and plop it in our map then stylize. Again though something like a transit map which is necessarily exaggerated or distorted, sure you could do it in GIS but probably better to use a graphics oriented program. These kinds of maps are more to do with wayfinding which is completely different than say a geographically accurate city map.
>>
>>1613071
>Adobe
No.
>>
>>1612223
MFW they actually lined Montreal's map up with geographic north, not notional north like in all the metro cars
>>
>>1613160
Like it or not, that's what your transit agency's graphic design department uses.
>>
>>1613809
Checked the metadata, and you are right.
Fuck. This world is on the verge of collapse.
>>
>>1604488
>Make transit incredibly shitty and bad to use
>No one uses it
>"Look at all these people not using transit"
>>
>>1613071
Thoughts on QGis as compared to ArcGIS and that assorted suite of stuff?
>>
>>1614020
>Make transit incredibly shitty and bad to use
Your side will say this no matter how large or small or good or bad the system really is
>>
>>1612847
>>1612855
>>1612870
Does anyone else love how TPE uses (or used) a three-unit Class 185 on their Manchester-Edinburgh service? Especially at the height of tourist season just before christmas. Imagine not having a seat for the whole journey. Good that they've got the 397s on that route now.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.