[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 74 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1592530096257.png (214 KB, 310x490)
214 KB
214 KB PNG
Fatophobia edition
>>
>>1595103
Bike Questions Gene: the genetic trait which manifests itself as an inability to stop asking inane questions about bikes that one will never be able to afford
>>
If I won the lottery which aspie serial killer bike should my hypothetical self buy to show that I'm not a poorfag? The options are all dumpster dive looking titanium and rim brakes with alloy wheels that can't clear more than 25mm and that's with a lot of rubbing due to my obesity, because I'm a fucking sperg who hates things I can't afford and I think of this as a "buy once cry once" kind of purchase:

1. Lynskey

2. Litespeed

No other bikes exist because I'm a pasty, weak, autistic ticking time bomb who looks like Adam Lanza, oh btw it has to be 10 speed for some reason because in my arbitrary definition of "worth it" I picked whatever was state of the art around the time I was potty trained for reasons that I refuse to analyze because that would require the ability to reflect on my own poor choices, p.s. I'm going to put continental tires on it because that's what reddit said I should buy and I currently have memeskins on my hi-ten bikes direct fixie with no brakes. Let's disregard the fact that if I had hundreds of millions of dollars an actual decent bike wouldn't be a big deal to me, I'd still obsess over getting run over by a truck and having my bike frame be the #1 concern on my mind because I have no sense of self preservation or personal worth.

In conclusion, please validate my bizarre schizo opinions also something something china bad MAGA MAGA don't make em like they used to, I only wear denim when I ride because I've never gone more than 2 hours at a time, have I mentioned I'll never have sex? Seethe cope and dial 8.
>>
How important is warranty for carbon bikes?

Buying used carbon bikes is a huge gamble, if you are not an expert or don't get it scanned by an expert?
Ribble e.g. offers 3 years on the frame.

I am weighing that against the 1 kg lighter bike that also costs 200 bucks less, but is used.
>>
>>1595117
The odds you'll ever get a warranty claim accepted on a frame are near zero. Quality control will catch the obvious and the less obvious is expensive to find. The vast majority of problems are caused by idiots overtorquing or stripping threads or crashing and if you're agonizing over $200 the cost of dismantling the entire bike and sending it back to duel with an email address for several months with no riding are realistically not going to look favorable to you.
>>
>>1595117
Just treat it like anything else: if it's so expensive that you can't use it for fear of damaging it then you're better off with something that doesn't cause you such mental distress.
>>
>>1595115
Rent. Fucking. Free.
>>
>>1595123
Yikes
>>
>>1595126
Cringe
>>
>tfw cut my first carbon steerer today

It was actually way easier than I thought. I didn’t get it perfectly even but it was pretty damn close. Also found out that the shop that built my bike put the expander plug in backwards so I’m glad I fixed that. In the future I’d probably make a guide with two stems rather than just using one.
>>
File: Oh.jpg (18 KB, 247x325)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>1595115
>>
>>1595119
>Quality control will catch the obvious and the less obvious is expensive to find.
Or the tolerances will be so ridiculously loose that obviously fucked frames will still pass QC because manufacturing a new frame might add $10 to the COGS and we can't have that now can we.
>>
my butt hurts like hell if i go on a long training session
how do i fix this?
>>
>>1595242
Harden the fuck up
>>
>>1595242
post a picture of your bike from the side
>>
>>1595218
Watch less h*mbini, that doesn't happen much IRL
>>
Brehs. How do I set up cantilevers correctly. I'm this close to ordering v brakes. The power sucks, my front brakes keep shuttering, and I can't get them to center correctly.

WTF is even the downside of v-brakes. What about mini-v's so I can keep my brake levers?
>>
>>1595242
Buy a Brooks
>>
>>1595242
get off the ass blaster 3000 and use a normal saddle
>>
>>1595262
Eh
I prefer the braking of a good canti setup to a good v-brake setup
it has better modulation, whereas vs have out and out power, but a canti setup shouldn't be lacking in power for most riding.
it looks a lot cooler too if you have a frame/stem with canti stops
and if you have nice canti levers that's not something to throw away

have you even put kool stops on it yet?

and you say you can't get them to center, do they have adjustment screws for it, or are you trying to bend the springs? The springs might just be shot. Or the arms are not pivoting freely. Dissasembly, cleaning, and light greasing might be the ticket. Make sure they do pivot freely before you cable them.

downside of mini-vs is less clearance.
also post a picture you dumbcunt
>>
>>1595262
brake shudder also might indicate your headset should be overhauled. Or that the cable stop is bad/flexy.
Or merely be a problem you'd fix with better pads/setup

if you do throw in the towel though, you can literally dumpster dive shit tier v brakes off bsos and they work preddy gud with new pads and nicer levers.
>>
>>1595242
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Rx5mX7TOA
>>
>>1595290
Canti's are definitely lacking in power for off road riding. I'm using a cx bike on singletrack and I can't get decent enough power from the tops. Ye I can go into the drops but again it's just more shit to deal with. I like riding in the tops and want to be able to do that.
Yes I have kool stops
Yes I have been using the screws, they seem to keep moving around. They're very close to center but they don't hit the rim at the same time perfectly.
>>
>>1595337
Also I just set up the bike, the head set is like 2 weeks old, the canti bosses were sanded smooth. I dunno maybe I'm just bitching. Tell me about mini v's and drop levers
>>
File: 1602606300526.png (295 KB, 668x582)
295 KB
295 KB PNG
>>1595117
Depends how willing you are to drop 2+ grand on a product with a shaky reputation from a budget manufacturer with no chance of getting taken care of if it turns out to be garbage.

>>1595119
>>1595255
>nobody complained about creaking pressfit bbs before two years ago when some random pajeet engineer started making bike videos
>>
>>1595357
creaking bbs were a thing like 10 years ago and it was fixable. on any current model bike it's not something to worry about.
>>
>>1595338
>the canti bosses were sanded smooth
yes but did the arms both pivot smoothly
did you actually check
a bunch of things might make them not like if you overtighten the bolts
Same thing as the cable pulling smoothly with very minimal friction through the housing. Did you actually check. That makes a big difference and sometimes it doesn't even when you do it 'right' and you have to fix it.

I really wouldn't be too overly concerned about your brakes not being perfectly centered though. I don't think it makes much of a difference.

There are just so many factors to setting up cantis. I've given up on what ostensibly should be a very good system at 'meh' level but i have some that are truely excellent too. It's basically magic.

mini vs might be good for you but i've also heard people complain they need frequent adjustment as the pads wear. And you won't fit fenders under them (if that matters to you)
>>
>>1595357
>>1595363
Creaking from somewhere has always been a thing, last 10 years or so everyone says "durr durr muh bottom bracket" and then they always come back sheepishly and it was their shoe or their pedal or their saddle or something.

"MUH BOTTOM BRACKET CREAKING" is the "tore my rotator cuff" of bikes. Someone reddit somewhere and it sounded pretty technical so they repeated it for literally everything. It makes you sound like a fucking moron. It's never the bottom bracket.
>>
>>1595363
Taking it apart and smearing retaining compound on everything is a bandaid solution that shouldn't be necessary, and it doesn't fix the additional drag caused by misalignment.

If Toyota can build a full blown car with a hundred pressfit bearings inside it that never creak and sell it for $20,000, then a $4,000 frameset that's just an inert lump of carbon fiber should be at least that well made.
>>
>>1595386
the eauivalent of a bb in a car would be the crank bearings
there are only 2 nowadays, the rest are bushings
they are a wear item and toyota in particular is infamous for having some problems where the rear main just goeas and eats your block
>>
Is perineal pressure always a bad thing?

Today while out riding I could feel that there was weight on my perineum, but it didnt lead to any pain or numbness. Is there any risk of injuring myself?
>>
>>1595481
Yes. It's a slow process and you won't notice until there's damage. Fix your saddle position and/or get a new saddle.
>>
>>1595262
just get some nos or lightly used deore v-brakes, not mini-v. canti's are shit and were a cope from the start. you will need linear pull levers for v-brakes, canti/road (short pull) levers won't work.

>>1595369
>i've also heard people complain they need frequent adjustment as the pads wear
i have heard this but never experienced this on the 5+ v-brake bikes i use. probably people just being retards and not setting them up correctly. the only adjustment that should be needed is the same as every other cable-actuated system - unscrew the stop a little bit to compensate for pad wear.
>>
>>1595115
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl6sIj4-AJA
>>
>>1595499
I hate 3d printing and I hate Ti bikes but I have to admit that makes my pee pee tingle a bit. Must be the shill music and shill voiceover
>>
>>1595483
Mkay. I've got a saddle with a huge cutout on the way (larger than the cutout on my current saddle, a Specialized Romin).

Should my weight be exclusively on my sit bones and not on soft tissue at all?
>>
>>1595503
>soft tissue
This is 4chan[spoiler]nel[/spoiler], you can say "crotch".
>>
>>1595503
Cutouts are like the last 10%, saddle position is more important. If you want to get autistic you could look at stuff like ISM or SMP which play with curvature and length
>>
>>1595503
most of the time this type of pain is caused by incorrect contact with the saddle, usually because the saddle is too high.
>>
>>1595503
>Should my weight be exclusively on my sit bones and not on soft tissue at all?
I mean, yeah, the weight is. the rest of your croch flesh/clothes will make contact with the saddle but your weight goes into the frame via sitbone contact with the bulbous part of the saddle.
therefore the width of your saddle at widest point is going to have to be a certain amount wider than sitbones, the amount varies with how aggressive/relaxed your riding stance is. upright=very wide, full triathlon aero=zero-to-5mm wider than sitbones.
you want the nose of the saddle to be at most level with ground or pointed a little downward (due to saddle design variations), the middle section to be level, and the bulb to rise at least slightly above the middle (except tri saddles I think are pretty flat).
when the saddle and angle fit you, you feel your sitbones angle downward into the bulb and stop against it. the rest of your crotch is on the middle but unweighted, and the nose is for steering, you only press against the nose when leaning into turns.

the middle can be tweaked slightly up or down, everyone's body is different, but starting with above will establish a baseline fit.
>>
>>1595520
I've been wondering about ism saddles recently, but I like to change positions on the saddle a lot. Do ism saddles allow you to do this?
>>
>>1595520
I should be steering my bicycle with my cock?
>>
>>1595527
>but I like to change positions on the saddle a lot.
That's a textbook symptom that your saddle position is royally fucked
>>
>>1595499
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl6sIj4-AJA
can i get a review from a channel that isn't shit
>>
>>1595529
no you should countersteer and the bike will lean for you
if all you know is to lean you won't have a reasonably tight turning radius at speed like this retard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWURncxgm5I
inb4 a gorillion (You)s from coping retards who have ridden for years without knowingly countersteering
>>
>>1595564
>comments turned off

Pretty much says it all.
>>
>>1595529
yes.
>>
>>1595564
Pless stoppu prosting dissu shittu niggu
>>
I can't find a decently priced, quality 28h front hub. It's either bottom shelve generic steel hub or an expensive track hub. Will it be ok to put a generic steel hub on the front? I will be putting it with a DT Swiss XR425 rim.
>>
>>1595669
Yes. There's not much force or weight applied on to the front hub, so any will do.
>>
>>1595669
What do you consider decently priced? A Deore hub is like $30.
>>
Left inside knee pain

I don't think the saddle is too high, but I did notice that my left knee rocks from left to right a lot during pedaling. So I think it comes from that instability and the resulting stress put into that area.

What to do?
>>
>>1595705
I have literally the exact same issue. You need to train eccentric, cycling has caused your muscles to only excel at concentric so you are "strong" but not in all the right ways. Step downs, wall sits, and single leg squat (if any of these are easy and you weren't doing it before, you're doing them wrong, first couple weeks should feel brutal even from just bodyweight).
>>
>>1595669
tiagra and DA both do 28h
it's odd that 105 and Ultegra don't.

I guess shimanos opinion is it's the provenance of poorfags and richfags but not sensiblefags
>>
>>1595669
that's an XC rim so maybe look at mtb hubs instead of road hubs
>>
>>1595702
Not where I live.
>>1595733
can't find them here.
>>1595744
Generic or XTR. Not happy middle.
>>
>>1595564
I hate motorcycles so much
>>
>>1595745
>here
just say where it is you dumbcunt
and why would you not buy parts online from overseas.
>>
>>1595748
Kek. I'm from Argentina. I wouldn't because we literally can't, they won't get past customs or will take months, plus all the taxes make it not viable. Just like this country, not viable.
>>
How big of an issue is impotence/ED for you guys? I want to ride every day for ~30 min but now I'm worried. Should I be taking every other day off or more frequently?
>>
>>1595768
I ride a couple of hours a day. I'm also a creepy loner sperg who will never have sex again and I've accepted that I will die alone, so there's that.
>>
>>1595768
I sometimes get boners mid-ride and need to whack off. Also get boners after the ride. And I'm in my mid-40s. It's all down to fit.
>>
At 20 mph, about how much faster would lycra/aero clothes be compared to looser fit clothes?
>>
Why does touring bikes without kickstands exist?

Gotta save a nanogram of weight on this bike that's designed to carry heavy loads on!
>>
>>1595776
i reckon you get like 1-2 free gears of speed, so you'd be doing the same cadence and same effort but just in the next gear up and going that much faster (1t gaps)

it's noticeable.
>>
>>1595776
Depends what "looser" means. If it's tightish athletic clothes, barely any difference. If it's some flappy baggy shit, maybe enough to be noticeable, depending on your threshold for 'noticeable'.
>>
>>1595776
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNqYgnnudx0
>>
>>1595789
that's not true dude. Even with relatively form fitting athletic clothes
At speed, at 30km/h+, it's still the most significant aero thing besides your position on the bike, and aero is the biggest limiter of your speed.
>>
>>1595812
My average speeds on my "lycra" routes and my "tshirt and shorts" routes are different by a quarter mph at most for roughly the same distance and power, even with the lycra routes having much less stopping and no pedestrians.
>>
>>1595833
Then you're just putting down less power when riding on lycra, simple as.
>>
MINIMUM / MAXIMUM spoke tension

14g / 2.0 steel spokes MTB

80kgf to 150kgf ?
>>
>>1596393
check your rim and hub specs, 1200N max is common
>>
I've got two questions:

1. Is there such thing as a pannier-specific rear rack? As in a rack whose only function is to mount a pannier to, as opposed to putting stuff on top, so that it would be narrower, simpler and lighter
I know there's those front lowrider ones, but I can't seem to find rear ones.

2. How do you carry a whole bike on your bike (not on your back/shoulder)?
>>
>>1596420
1. Sure but their rated weight limit will always be lower
2. Why would you do this?
>>
>>1596420
tow it on a trailer
>>
>>1596420
>How do you carry a whole bike on your bike
You ride your own by one hand and hold the stem of the other bike by your other hand while it is rolling beside you.
10km/h or less heavily advised
>>
>>1596420
Tubus vega/fly

but you can put stuff on it too
>>
>>1595103
Is there some good youtube video where they do whole bike maintenance step by step?
>>
>>1596468
it's different depending on what bike you have and what your problem is
>>
File: crank.jpg (441 KB, 1200x1600)
441 KB
441 KB JPG
How run down are the teeth of this crank?

I cannot judge it properly, because not such profound experience.
It does look like it has over 1000 km behind it?
>>
>>1596468
the whole bike in one video?
not useful unless your bike has the same hub bearing standard, bottom bracket standard, headset standard, brake standard, gearing standard etc.
but parktool.com covers everything and has videos embedded in their pages, you could just watch their youtube channel but it's nice to quickly skim over the written directions and diagrams to find the part relevant to your problem imo.
>>
>>1596479
looks totally fine, would ride
>>
>>1596481
But those teeth on the big ring seem to be run down a bit.
>>
For clarification, the seller claim that the bike has only gone max. 300 km.
>>
>>1596479
Looks fine.
>>1596485
Not really. Some of the finish is worn off the surface, but that's going to happen pretty quickly. More important is the shape of the teeth, and they're fine.
>>
>>1596468
The Park Tool videos are really good. They go over all kinds of stuff and show different styles of things like different brakes, bottom brackets, etc. like >>1596480 said. I don't like their tools and some of their practices, but their videos are really well done.
>>
>>1596421
1. that's ok
2. many reasons
>>1596431
then the trailer would be carrying not the bike
>>1596443
that's precisely what I don't want to do
>>1596449
these are just regular simple racks

thanks for nothing /n/
>>
>>1596561
take your meds
>>
>>1596553
Ok, then would you say that the bike has never seen a crash either?

No warranty for 2nd hand bikes, and the integrity cannot solely be judged from the outsides.
>>
>>1596569
>Ok, then would you say that the bike has never seen a crash either?
How would I know that from 1 photo? But if you have more photos or see it in person, check the usual spots that tend to get scuffed in a crash like the brake levers, the rear derailleur, the pedals if the owner includes them, the saddle, etc.
>>
Just FYI to anyone that might of had my problem:

Had loud af front brakes on old mtb with non-adjustable rim brakes. Cleaned rim and pads but didn't work. Noticed one pad had reverse toe-in. The solution was having to sandpaper down the back ends of the pad at an angle so the "toe" end at the front hit the rim first, no more loud brakes.
>>
>>1596572
>non-adjustable rim brakes
what are those?
>>
>>1596574
I don't know their specific name but they're not linear pull and they don't allow horizontal angle play, you can only adjust forwards and back and up and down, but they always hit the rim centered so you have to shave down the pads themselves at an angle if they start to make noise on the rim.
>>
>>1596580
Cantilevers? Most of them allow for pad adjustment in all dimensions, but some older ones do not.
>>
>>1596569
i'm not familiar with stevens but i would personally rather get a new bike. the fulcrum wheels are very basic, probably has an outdated narrow internal width. the frame might not have the best aero/stiffness/compliance/weight ratio.
>>
>>1596584
tire clearance looks like it could be an issue as well
>>
>>1596584
>the frame might not have the best aero/stiffness/compliance/weight ratio.
Couldn't you just say that about any bike? That's the most vague thing I've ever heard. Also, it's really hard to find new bikes right now, especially if you're looking for something specific.
>>
File: IMG_5214 (Custom).jpg (1.3 MB, 4000x2667)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>1596420
>2. How do you carry a whole bike on your bike (not on your back/shoulder)?
remove the rear wheel and strap the rear triangle on a rack top
like pic rel

i've done it a few times with a full bike not just frame too
>>
>>1596584
>outdated narrow internal width
lmao
>>
>>1596584
>the fulcrum wheels are very basic
they're entry level fulcrum but it's better than absolute bottom tier stock wheels. it's fine and upgrades are upgrades.
>probably has an outdated narrow internal width
it clearly doesn't if you just look at the rim/tyre profile with that 25mm tyre. It's almost flush and will be atleast 19mm ETRTO, prob more. AND it doesn't matter.
>the frame might not have the best aero/stiffness/compliance/weight ratio.
literally what. It's a current gen frame. Why would you say that. what is it based upon ?
>>
>>1596479
That bike looks fairly mint bro. The paint looks nearly immaculate. If you're alright with only fitting 25c, 28c if you're lucky, then go for it. Assuming its also a decent price.

Got any other pictures? What's the model name? Whats the price?
>>
File: download.png (4 KB, 216x233)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>1596584
>>I have no idea what I'm talking about, but heres my opinion anyway
>>
>>1596598
>i've done it a few times with a full bike not just frame
Are you a bike thief?
>>
>>1596628
>ah yes i just stole this bike now let me fuck around with straps and padding for 20 minutes and then make my getaway at slow speed with a bike on the back of my bike i will blend right in
>>
File: canti-post-spacing.jpg (193 KB, 607x1024)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>1595262
what brakes does your bike have specifically ?
a basic set up is to have the straddle wire form a 90 degree angle
and have the depth of the pads set such that the lower half of the cantilever arm becomes perpendicular to the rim upon pad contact
but this only works if you have the right set of brake levers for your cantilevers

>my front brakes keep shuttering
this can be caused by un even pad contact
as you adjust the brakes and then test them under load, make observations of how much the cantilevers flex
in addition to this during adjustment you can check how worn out the brake post bushing is by pulling the tip of the cantilever arm back and forth in the direction of the wheels travel
the combination of bushing wear and cantilever arm flex effects how much toe (and rotation) needs to be applied, (this also apply's to v brakes)

most pads will have been set up with slightly too much toe so their front edge wears out first
if no toe was applied the flex of the brake arm will have caused the rear edge to wear out slightly
excessive adjustment in either direction should be obvious as the wear will not cover the entire surface of the pad

some other things to do are
clean the braking surface of old brake dust and check for scratches or dents, also check if the brake surface is concave or not
check the brake pad for even and symmetrical wear, any dips or truncated corner's can be sanded flat to better mach the braking surface (remove any metal or stones from the pads too)
>>
>>1595337
>can't get decent enough power from the tops
kek
>>
>>1596619
But pretty much all Shimano rim brakes can fit in max 28c only, so the frame is irrelevant for tire clearance.
>>
>>1596479
>stevens
OH GOD NOT ANOTHER ONE
>>
>>1596561
Just disassemble it and gently insert the pieces into your rectum.
>>
>>1596572
>>1596580
>retards and zoomers giving advice again
>>
>>1596587
>>1596601
>>1596618
>>1596620
it's the anon who has been asking about a used carbon bike from a dealer. imo it's not an amazing deal since it's from a smaller brand (not trek, specialized, cannondale etc) and it's used. especially since it was a rental bike some renters might have been noobs who weren't careful enough with the carbon frame. ribble endurance SL with the mavic cosmic SL40 wheels would be a nicer bike if he can afford it. look up how much it would cost to buy the mavic cosmic SL40 wheels by themselves.

and reminder that /n/ anons are coping with shitbikes like >>1594731 and >>1596598. with carbon bikes you should have higher standards.
>>
File: herzog.jpg (23 KB, 474x470)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>1596691
lol how is my blue gunnar a poorfag cope bike? It's a fancy custom touring bike.
The -frame only- is €1200 new and the wheels are handbuilt
front hub = €220
etc etc

?
>>
>>1596694
oh, m8...
>>
>>1596701
?
>>
>>1596702
nah, nothin'. i'm just shitposting. i'm not >>1596691 though. i mean honestly, at a glance, the bike just looks like some cobbled together cheapy bike. but it has a lot of solid, durable parts on it. i dig it. i also just noticed that the frame on the back is an old Rocky Mountain - that's cool too.
>>
>>1596694
it's one of the nicest bikes on /n/ imho and I might buy one in the next couple of years because of it
>>
>>1595115
Litespeed all the way. can't go wrong with a classic!
Best
Jrod
>>
>>1596684
Why another one?
>>
>>1596691
Did you ever say it was carbon? Or that it was a rental? You didn't even tell us what model it was. We did the best we could
>>
I need to replace my road helmet

What's the best one to get for $125 or under, doesn't have a visor, and isn't too bulky or geeky looking?
>>
>>1596850
Just strap a bunch of bananas to your head, you won't stand out any bit
>>
>>1596850
The best one to get is the one that's comfortable on your head.
>>
Retard here considering changing bullhorn to drop bars on single speed. Personal preference. What do I have to take into account to do this, starting with the most basic? For instance, I know the stock stem is 26mm, so I'm assuming I can't replace it with this 31.8 mm bars and stem. Brakes I intend to buy new at lbs. I'm sure this is a basic task but I will find a way to complicate it so I'm asking first thanks
>>
>>1596883
Velo Orange (& possibly some italian component brands) still offer 26.0 drop ‘bars
>>
>>1596883
>I know the stock stem is 26mm, so I'm assuming I can't replace it with this 31.8 mm bars and stem.
If your bike uses a 1 1/8" standard stem (on the steerer side) you can just throw in those two on your pic, if it's the oddball 1" you would need to find the appropriate stem but it's doable. That's a pretty short stem they're offering you anyhow so you may need another either way, but it'll work.
>>
Does anyone here use a front rack/pizza rack? I'm thinking of attaching a collapsible box to front for groceries. Does anyone else use this? Or bag?
>>
>>1596775
an anon with a stevens bike has been causing a lot of seethe
https://archive.nyafuu.org/n/search/text/stevens/
>>
>>1595103
anybody else got a numb dick?
will it ever go back to normal?
Should i see a doctor? i'm scared.
>>
>just started riding again
>grip the handle bars with retard strength
>knuckles and finger joints hurt a bit afterwards
Should i not grip the handle bars so tight? I ride off road so i need total control of where my wheel goes so i have to grip that shit. It goes away after like an hour or so and it feels more sore than painful. Is it just my weak muscles?
>>
>>1596934
Like it's numb even when you're off the bike?
>>1596936
That's somewhat common. Just try not to grip so tight. But as you said, you need to grip tight enough to control.
>>
>>1596938
yes i'm biking pretty much all day with a heavy backpack. going from city to city.
My dick is numb this very second and i'm laying in bed.
>>
>>1596934
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmPgJV643h8
>>
>>1596930
Topkek, so much butthurt

Also wow, he replaced his dual pivot rim brakes for cantilever brakes, allowing him to run comfy tires.
>>
>>1596940
Yeah man, that's no good. I had a saddle that I liked for a while, but when I put it on a new bike I noticed I'd go numb sometimes during rides. I changed it out and that happens a lot less frequently now. Being numb well after getting off the bike is not a good sign.
>>
>>1596940
get a rack and zip tie a metal basket on it, to put your backpack in
>>
Cop or not?
>>
>>1596481
>>1596553
>>1596619
>>1596684
do not reply to st-vens posters
>>
>>1596930
>https://archive.nyafuu.org/n/search/text/stevens/
Uhhh yea I'm thinking stevens poster is based
>>
>>1596936
Your seat might be tilted forward too much, putting too much pressure on your hands
>>
File: sst_blk_2100.jpg (720 KB, 2100x1302)
720 KB
720 KB JPG
>>1596895
Thanks, Ill keep this in mind if I need to go with 26.0
>>1596897
I appreciate this very basic explanation. I'll check stem width, learn about stem length and then figure out brakes. Tektro RL340 look like the solid budget ones to recreate road bike feel I prefer. Lbs said (without seeing my bike) I might be able to adapt current Tektro RX 4.1 as interruptor style brakes but that doesn't seem like the best solution. Thanks for your help
>>
File: 1595827724682.png (258 KB, 404x415)
258 KB
258 KB PNG
>>1596970
>>
>>1596970
I would wear this
>>
I’ve had a mountain bike for a couple months now and try to ride 1-2x a week. I bought a tracklocross frame since fixie YouTube riders are what inspired me into this hobby anyway and I’m probably going to ride it brakeless. Assuming I take my time and get the hang of things in a private park a couple times first, how in over my head am I going?

I don’t have health insurance and just don’t want to have to kill myself due to medical debt.

Also, how much of a meme are things like Sugino crank arms? Is it really worth the premium? Also looking at rim recommendations, I think I’ve already decided on Phil Wood hubs.
>>
>>1597015
>how in over my head am I going?
Don't stress it. I've never ridden a fixed gear with brakes and I'm fine. Everyone is different, of course. I don't think I'm super cool and skilled just because I ride brakeless, but I'm definitely more skilled and confident than some people out there. We had a friend years ago who wanted to ride with us and built a bike up, but he was petrified and stiff as a board every time he rode with us. He was too scared to ride one-handed, like even to turn on his light. I rode up next to him once and said something and patted him on the shoulder and he yelled at me because that was too scary.

Basically, don't do anything you're really not comfortable with.

Sugino arms are nice, but I personally wouldn't drop that kind of cash on the 75 arms unless I had money to burn. But I don't know, you're already going for Phil Wood hubs. Rim-wise, I like Velocity, H Plus Son, HED Belgium.
>>
>>1597015
I would run a front brake. Just allows you to ride more recklessly
if you ride brakeless you'll have to be careful and leave a large margin of error
it's not that it's even inherently more dangerous (although it is), but more like that it restricts you from truely fanging it

phil is definately not cost effective for preformance but they look good and the bearings will last a long time. It's not where i'd spend $$ though. Sugino cranks are kind of the same thing. Meme parts like those are not not worth it, it's all just down to discretion. Sometimes a bike kitted out all in luxury meme parts is extremely cringe. Sometimes people skimp on far more important things, like spend their money in the wrong places. And sometimes nice parts are nice and if you still have the bike in 5 years they might even have made sense from not breaking.
>>
Thanks frens. I’m really not that scared of it, a lot of people just make it out to be this big deal and I appreciate the reassurance.

I like the White Industries cranks as well so I may end up going with those as they’re a lot cheaper. The frame already has a Chris King headset pressed in as well. I’m really looking forward to building it up. Seems like a ton of fun.
>>
>>1597022
show the frame lad
and good luck to you
>>
How long after cleaning the bike and putting new lube would be considered enough to cycle?
A couple of hours?
When applying degreaser, should you wait a bit before cleaning it off with water?
>>
>>1597050
>A couple of hours?
i wait 15 mins after lubing to run the chain through a rag to wipe off excess, and then would ride
>When applying degreaser, should you wait a bit before cleaning it off with water?
If it's alcohol/solvent based and you let the alcohol/solvent evaporate which it will readily do, then the suspended dirt in it will just be dirt again. On the other hand some cleaners take a while to act on stuff.
>>
>>1597015
dt swiss rims
>>
File: rack.jpg (714 KB, 2688x1512)
714 KB
714 KB JPG
suggestions for baskets/racks for old road bikes with dropbar handlebars and no eyelets..? I'm tired of wearing a backpack.. something really stable... I wanted to make my shitty road as heavy as possible lmao
>>
File: p clamp.jpg (12 KB, 600x337)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1597072
actually post your bike. because it really depends.

pic related are a generic thing called p-clamps you can find anywhere and they work ok. You can mount a generic rear rack with just 4 p-clamps, some allen bolts, and nylock nuts for them. Zip tie a metal basket on it. Put your backpack in it. Wa la.

Tubus makes superior bike specific mounting hardware of various types.

You could also get a rack that mounts on your axle like various Old Man Mountain racks for example. If you have a bolt on axle with spare thread already it's easier. A lot of old shitbikes have that type of rack if you can find one in a junkyard or something.
>>
>>1597072
frame bag
>>
>>1597072
god cinelli is retarded
why wouldn't they put bottle cage bosses on a fixie frame
>>
I have a shitty old schwinn world sport and no matter what I try, my rear tire and to a lesser extent my front are just lumpy and the bead line won't sit on the rim. I put a brand new tube in and it just won't sit smoothly. The wheels are less than 2 years old and it was fine before. As I ride I get a bubump, bubump, bubump as the lumpy rear tire goes around. I tried lathering it in rubbing alcohol and smoothing it out by hand but it didn't help. The tires are several years old, is it possible that the bead is just work out?
>>
>>1597077
are you installing them by hand, with the correct technique pushing the bead into the well to create slack?

yeah it's likely the tyres are just fucked though.
>>
>>1597076
track bikes obviously don't need bottle cages and street fixies are usually ridden for relatively short distances in an urban environment they don't tour all day
maybe unracer frames and a few racer frames have bottle cage bosses but they're usually track inspired and cost cutting
you can still use a triathlon style seatpost mounted bottle cage or something
>>
>>1597079
fixiefags don't go out riding in summer ever in a situation it might be nice to take a drink? What nonsense.

and trifags literally piss themselves i don't see why a muh minimalism italian street bike should have trifag nonsense clamped on it
>>
>>1597081
>muh summer
drink before and after
bring a drink or buy something if you're out for longer
some places have free water fountains or w/e

>muh minimalism
so why should it have a bottle cage
>>
>>1597073
Clamps would be an option or something that connects with the front axel.
>>
>>1597083
i'd go for a rear rack on that
>>
>>1597083
cos most (especially cheap) front racks even if you can mount them on your axle are gonna also want to mount where your brake is and that's not really gonna work with most racks and that dual pivot caliper.

see what you can find though
racks are pretty flexible
>>
File: cyclin-activity_med.jpg (47 KB, 950x317)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>1595107
kek
>>
File: z2o8arurf5b61.jpg (369 KB, 1124x1500)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>>1597081
a few random examples
>>
File: 4t3oupg6lii41.jpg (1.23 MB, 3840x2160)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>1597104
>>
File: 0t4o8hep95b61.jpg (2.03 MB, 4032x3024)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>1597105
>>
>>1597104
>'"aero" frame
>128-spoke wheels
>upturned bullhorns
>toe straps
Why are fixiefags like this?
>>
File: 33w1lniru2b61.jpg (830 KB, 3024x3024)
830 KB
830 KB JPG
>>1597106

>>1597107
yeah aventon is a bit cringe, i posted it because the bottle cage solution is different from >>1597105
>>
>>1597104
>>1597105
>>1597106
>>1597109
you're just proving the point that fixies should have bottle cage bosses lol
like ok if it's a track frame but most of those aren't.
>>
>>1597028
It’s the black speckled MASH steel frame that was on eBay. Should get to me on Monday.
>>
File: zfcmvulvyla61.jpg (191 KB, 756x1008)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>1597113
check r/fixedgearbicycle, a lot of them ride without bottles

some frames are supposed to be mainly for track/crit racing so some of them don't even take a rear brake even though it's fairly easy to accommodate on a metal frame
some frames like the aventon mataro are supposed to be as affordable as possible
aventon ultro can take a bottle cage but it's a pricey full carbon frame and it's sold out
i would rather have track ends that are threaded for chain tensioner screws
>>
>>1597121
>dirtbag "rides" around the skate park in jorts to engage in narcotics trafficking and general delinquency
shocking that they don't need water, they can just shoplift some at the nearest bodega
>>
>>1597121
lmao anon
>>
>>1597122
>>1597123
cope
>>
File: only yesterday.jpg (64 KB, 1281x658)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>1597122
>ride around the skate park in jorts
>engage in narcotics
>and general delinquency
>shoplift some water at the nearest bodega

sounds comfy
>>
>>1596958
I have 3 bags in the back rack and my camping tent as well as my ukulele in the front rack, so i have to carry my backpack and it's weight is killing my dick.
>>
do you think dutch schoolgirls ride UCI worldtour road bikes loaded up with kilograms of water? get a grip nigel
fixies have better performance than they get credit for
you can keep up with european flatland city traffic without breaking a sweat
this guy livestreamed 40+ minutes of riding and didn't need water
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbCzWRnKCaI
>>
>>1597144
>do you think schoolgirls carry a waterbottle sometimes?
yes
>>
>>1597144
>this guy livestreamed
>i saw on reddit

Observer effect.
>>
File: image-asset.jpg (249 KB, 1000x562)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
>>1597147
where's the bottle cage nigel?

>>1597150
cope
>>
All of my front chainrings need replacing. So I might as well go for 1x10 and buy narrow wide chainring. Is there something I need to know before I do this?
>>
>>1597152
water bottle is in their bag on rack/basket for dutch schoolgirls
>>
>>1597155
post your bike dumbcunt
>>
>>1597156
fixies can also have storage
some frame bags get in the way of bottle cages
>>
>>1597159
Is that bike an argument for something? It's peak retard. You are confused. Are you saying people shouldn't carry water bottles or not?
>>
Lads, really unsure about buying a 2nd hand carbon road bike.

Don't want to have cracked frame after a few hundreds of kilometres.
>>
>>1597166
keep coping
email cinelli and tell them to put water cage bosses on all their fixie frames lmao
>>
>>1597168
what am i even supposedly coping about ? That I... have an option to carry water in the best way on my bicycles?
one of which is a cinelli lol
>>
Can Shimano Ultegra 8000 rim brakes fit in tires that are 30 mm wide.

You know, some 28c tires on some rims actually measure 30 or even 31 mm in width.
>>
>>1597169
you don't even ride a fixie and you're complaining about fixie bikes
i prefer NOT to have bottle cage bosses because i don't go on hour long bike tours so i'm perfectly happy the way it is unlike whoever sperged out about it
>>
>>1597170
Give it up, this is why discos exist
>>
>>1597172
I am not eager to go for discos.
You get a 400 grams heavier bike, and pay 400 bucks extra.

Total rip-off
>>
>>1597171
How do you know i don't have a fixie?
I have had one. I'd like another one, one day.

you really never ride for like an hour in summer?
>>
Pale Australian here.

The summer is fucking me up. Any suggestions for some decent jerseys without getting fucked by local Australian prices?
>>
>>1597173
>wanting to put 32c donuts on your weight weenie bike
>sperging about muh grams when you can't even afford $400
Figure out what you want before you act like a sperg
>>
>>1597174
nope
i barely need to go beyond a walking distance and i chose a fixie because i don't have steep hills so i don't need a road bike but a fixie is racier than a normie fucktard dutch or hybrid bike
>>
Guys -
I've got an '87 Miyata SevenTwelve that I'm bringing back from the dead for my wife (was my moms, sat in storage for ~20 years)
The problem is that she's not an experienced rider, and the rear cassette is nearing end of life, rear derailleur has rust, and it has downtube shifters that have gotten rusty. It's looking like I'm going to have to re-cable the whole thing and will probably just get rid of the downtube shifters and install some 105 STI's (yes I know this is a travesty on /n/). All of the components are Shimano 105, it's a 6-speed freewheel (not a freehub)
Last week, she blew out a tire, and the old tires now have a big bulge in the sidewall. Rather than replacing the tire, I think I'm just going to replace the whole drivetrain/wheels/cabling and install STI shifters in one go.
My question is this:
Are bike frames sized for a certain cassette size? If I get a set of wheels with a freehub that'll hold 11 sprockets, can I just put that in the dropouts, install an 11-speed derailleur, and be good to go? Or will the distance between the rear seat/chainstays be too narrow for 11 speed?
Should I be looking at switching any other parts out, like BB and headset?
>>
>>1597178
but you ride a poorfag fixie not a nice cinelli
surely those aren't walking distance tier beaters.

and ironically your bike has bottle cage bosses lol

this seems like a cope on YOUR part
>>
>>1597180
i haven't posted my bike and if you're referring to >>1597125 that's like a $1200 allez sprint track frameset with phil wood hubs carbon rims sugino cranks etc
>>
>>1597181
i was referring to the fixiefag who posted his bike and honestly lad you're not doing your case any good by trying to say you actually don't ride fuck all but that you have a nice bike
>>
>>1597184
cope
>>
>>1597177
28c that actually measure wider than 28mm, and they are not even 100 grams heavier than 25 c tires, counting both together.
>>
>>1597179
the frame will be spaced 126mm
a 130mm modern hub will fit right in by just bending it open. Fine on a steel frame. Or you can permanently bend/align it but i wouldn't bother.

That's theoretical though. What you're talking about, is basically changing everything, for $$$. Bottom bracket? Of course. You need to change that. You need a new crank too. Evertyhing basically. It's fucking stupid if your wife is a casual. She won't even appreciate having drop bars unless she's athletic and into sports in which case she'd appreciate just having a new modern road bike more, which wouldn't even cost more than what you're discussing doing.

Convert to riser stem, meme cruiser bars, thumb shifters, flat levers, and service what needs servicing. Can be done for a price that makes sense. If you think it's too much effort you will do a shit job modernising it and be frustrated by that too. It's a far more fun project.
>>
>>1597179
Maybe you should be looking at a new bike? Like buying a used one would give you everything you're looking for while b I g cheaper and giving you a better, more modern bike.
>>
File: IMG_20210114_165221.jpg (1.56 MB, 2592x1944)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>1597157
>>
File: IMG_20210110_205533.jpg (1.71 MB, 2592x1944)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>1597206
chainrings
>>
>>1597072
You forgot the brakes, bro
>>
>>1597188
>>1597203
Yeah, I'm most likely going to be spending 3X what it's worth, but it's got sentimental value. Haven't bought any parts yet, so we'll see. I'm also very bored because my Di2 groupset is backordered so I'm without a fun project.
if I shove a 130mm modern hub in the 126mm frame, will that throw off the alignment?
>>
>>1597076
being deliberately impractical is cool
>>
>>1595753
Even in a shithole country the duty on something like that, properly declared is maybe 25 percent
>>
>>1595768
6500 miles. Zero issues. Thats a troll who posts here.
>>
>>1595776
15w or so.

The real difference is convenience and ease of wash. Back 3 pockets means no bags
>>
>>1595806
Kind of pointless about the clothing when the position would be a bigger cause for difference.
>>
>>1597243
but have you checked out the new merida reacto?
>>
>>1597213
I'd get a 7speed freewheel on there (check out sheldon brown on that, you can usually make it fit as is or with a small axel spacer). Then buy 7spd microshift brifters and derailleurs. They aren't as flashy as shimano but online reviews praise them highly considering their price.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Microshift-7-Speed-Road-Levers

This way you spend less money and don't have to bend your frame.
>>
>>1595768
just get this saddle and set the saddle height and saddle tilt correctly
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32787508902.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmdCc_8e4vI
>>
What bike should I buy? Looking to commute to campus
>>
>>1597261
Make a new thread and post your requirements (budget, terrain, cuntry, etc)
>>
>>1597263
no, retard

>>1597261
post in bbg. >>1593925
>>
>>1597159
this is peak cringe.i hate fixie "culture". Like whats the point of having a really expensive fucking bike if you are just cruising around at 20kmh....
>>
>>1597156
god I wish I was that saddle...
>>
>>1597268
ignore the generals autist, it just wants to promote its control freak agenda
>>
>>1597272
>god I wish I was that girl...
Fixed
>>
File: 1565348627341.jpg (122 KB, 960x914)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
Is it okay to have a slight amount of lateral movement of the crank arms? If I hold a crank arm and pull/push it toward the other there is 1-2mm of movement. The cranks are tightened firmly and everything I read online leads me to believe the slight movement is from the BB.
>>
>>1597277
#obsessed
>>
>>1597282
no it is not.
>>
File: 1518000509534.png (200 KB, 425x419)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
My KS E-20i has been creaking for the past few months and I've tried cleaning and regreasing every possible thing and it still there. I've also tried no grease on the seatpost but no dice. Tried to tighten all the bolts to their torque spec, a bit over and under and it just won't go away.

It already took in my left Zee crank arm as a casualty since the threads stripped from being disassembled too many times to clean this damned thing.

Any suggestions to finally silence it?
>>
>>1597253
Bro wtf you keep telling everyone to get this saddle for
>>
>>1597289
it's a good saddle you delusional faggots
it's a knockoff of specialized toupe that cost like $300, you can get it with logos too
everyone finds it to be reasonably comfortable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhgyDpXfzm8
>>
>>1597289
its bc autism
>>
>>1597286
I bet the rails on your seat are creaking.
>>
>>1597213
I understand the sentimental value. It is a nice frame too. What you're suggesting isn't inherently wrong.
>if I shove a 130mm modern hub in the 126mm frame, will that throw off the alignment?
nah. It's all good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koj5UGlAGvM

consider sora or claris
and seriously dude. does the rider even want drop bars. You can convert old road bikes to mean fast cruisers.
also consider that silver spokes are what make classic frames look good.
>>
>>1597206
i think you're fine to just go ahead and do it with a new 1x crank or even just a narrow wide ring on that crank
and a new chain.

maybe a chainkeeper if you drop it often
99% you have a 73mm standard english threaded bb.
>>
>>1597269
light fast bikes are fun regardless of how hard you ride them
>>
>>1597179
>Should I be looking at switching any other parts out, like BB and headset?
try to overhaul the headset
basically take it apart, clean everything with kerosene, and re-assemble with fresh grease.
if the races are badly pitted, replace

you likely need a 'headset spanner' to hold the thin bearing race flats and a big adjustable or another headset spanner to do the lockring.
adjust it with a wheel in the frame on the ground to get preload.
>>
>>1597206
hmmm dude you're replacing your crank and going e-bike

wouldn't it have made sense to go mid-drive?
>>
>>1597338
You realize durianposting is an offense on this board, right?
>>
>>1597345
i don't see any better way to communicate to boomers that 105 isn't the default entry level groupset any longer and that claris and sora are basically just as good (if you don't care about cadence autism which to me and many others is a huge deal)
>>
>>1597286
I suggest you try and narrow down the probable culprit. Does it creak only when you pedal, or also when coasting? Only when you're standing up, or also when sitting down? Only when you're grabbing the bars? Can you reproduce the creak off the bike? Is the creak in sync with your pedaling, or with the wheel rotation?
Also, if you haven't done it already, retighten every bolt on the bike, even the ones you wouldn't think have anything to do with it
>>
>>1597347
>retighten every bolt on the bike
you mean remove, clean, grease and re-tighten every bolt
>>
>>1597282
Generally not OK. What type of crank/BB?
>>
>>1597282
if the crank is genuinely firmly attached to the bb (not just done up tight, but without play on the interference fit) and it's the bb itself with play in it (common with an old worn bb) then the only thing you're destroying is the bb which is already destroyed. So you want a new bb because it will be much nicer to ride on but there's no rush or anything if you're ok with it.

if the interference fit on the crank has play then you're destroying/ have destroyed the crank by riding on it. Even then. Those things happen sometimes and they warrant upgrades. So either way I wouldn't worry about it if you're just a desperate poorfag with a beater.
>>
>>1597350
yeah sure
>>
>>1597346
he should drop the idea about the bike having sentimental value but if if you're not a broke kid or hobo it's nice to have 105 or ultegra
>>
>>1597357
especially on a higher tier frameset like caad13 etc
>>
>>1597357
is 105 really much better than tiagra?
>>
>>1597346
>claris and sora are basically just as good
lol, fuck off.
>>
>>1597357
lets just remember here what we're -actually- talking about.
I already acknowledged that for roadies it's nice to have more gears. Including for myself. Of course for a serious roadie, 105 or Ultegra are well worth it.

But we're talking about a bike for this guys wife who is a casual.
She would probably PREFER to have 11-32 spaced across 8/9 gears than 11.
In that sense 105 or Ultegra are actually worse for a casual rider. And it's the most significant one.

And you're only willing to phrase it relative to a high tier frame as if it's absurd that someone could possibly not want to spend that much on a bike because if they prioritize it then they could or else they're a subhuman. We are talking about a groupset for an old steel frame which is free. I bet you have a bunch of things that i would scoff at for being pathetically cheap and that you just don't prioritize and that are functionally fine for you. You're so obsessed with rehashing this tired old argument in your strawman goalposts which i actually agree with and ignoring anything specific or relevent to anyone who isn't you.
>>
>>1597361
>>1597360
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koj5UGlAGvM

where is his vested interest to bullshit about this?
how is this perspective flawed?

This is a guy who owns multiple high end bikes and doesn't have any industry affiliation besides shilling dropshipping chinacarbon.
You have likely never even ridden the current gen of entry level groups.
>>
>>1597362
seethe
>>
>>1597364
yes i am seething
you piss me off lad
>>
>>1597363
it's a boomer opinion from a guy who won't buy new cycling shoes when his current ones are falling apart
>>
>>1597367
boomers have a healthy perspective on road bikes. They remember riding bikes that were shitter than what entry level bikes are now and having just as much fun and doing more or less the same things. They actually understand what's changed significantly, what spec is important, and what is just consoomer pedantry about having the 'best' hot stuff.
>>
Like do you cunts think that if you don't rail against how inadequate claris and sora are for complete casuals, then it's going to make your nicer more expensive bike some kind of joke? The only way i could make sense of this is if YOU were complete casuals, because otherwise the idea of a very decent 'entry level' wouldn't offend you.
>>
>>1597370
take your meds schizo
>>
>>1597370
claris and sora are literally the lowest tier road groupsets you can get without descending into walmart territory
they can be decent for a newfag but it won't be remotely a "dream bike"
someone who makes at least an average salary can easily save up for a midrange bike like giant tcr etc
>>
>>1597363
I will never respect any opinion that this nut job spews.
>>
>>1597378
this is all arbitrary nonsense.
>>
>>1597384
cope
>>
>>1597378
the idea that claris and sora are wallmart adjacent is just ridiculous. They are more or less the same as mechanical rim 105/Ultegra/DA, just heavier with less gears.
The idea that they are 'lowest tier' means anything is meaningless.
the idea of a 'dream bike' is meaningless.
the idea you should necesserily save up for a giant tcr is meaningless.
>>
>>1597378
he doesn't care, he can't read
>>1597388
your meds, take them
>>
>>1597394
I have 105 on my road bike so i fail to see how this is some schizo cope
>>
File: 1491412243196.jpg (27 KB, 294x325)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>1597400
>has 105
>shills claris and sora to guy who is clearly knowledgeable about bikes and can afford di2 for himself
>>
>>1597403
for an 87 Miyata for an inexperienced woman
and actually i think it should be friction thumbies and a cruiser bar

a 105 group is ~$700
Sora is ~$300

if splashing out, the money would be best spent on a classic rebuild on some nice custom wheels with silver spokes and $$ tyres.
>>
>>1597400
>>1597405
cope
>>
>>1597409
what the fuck do you mean cope nigger
what am i coping with
>>
>>1597405
>some nice custom wheels with silver spokes and $$ tyres
you're like a parody
>>
>>1597413
i'll remind you my initial advice was just to
>buy a new modern road bike
or
>spend as little money as possible on making it simply more casual friendly with cruiser bars and upright controls and servicing it

this is IF we're talking doing a neo-retro rebuild of it
and IF you're going to do that with no regard to classic aesthetics, why the fuck are you doing it?
>>
>>1597340
Yeah my crankset is: Shimano FC-M522, 42x32x24T, 175 mm, Shimano BB-ES25 113mm
>>
>>1597416
>cruiser bars and upright controls
it's for his wife not his grandma
>>
>>1597425
everybody enjoys cruiseyboy controls
if you don't have a comfymode beater then you're missing out
>>
>>1597296
I greased the rails but there are some corrosion on it, maybe that's it?

>>1597347
The creaking and popping only happens when I sit on the saddle or when I hit large bumps. I can also reproduce it off the bike when I push down the saddle. I also did a whole bike rebuild to do that since I know sound can travel through the frame.

It doesn't creak when I don't tighten the seat collar but I already replaced the QR one with a bolted on but it's still creaks.

I think my options now would be try a different saddle or use that special Park Tool SAC-2 paste which I hear increases friction.
>>
File: 1605609865195.jpg (138 KB, 638x480)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>1597463
Had something similar on my bike, went away after I switched from Finish Line carbon paste to Park Tool paste.
>>
>>1597472
thanks calvin
>>
>>1597463
Maybe your seatpost was cut too short? I'd wager buying and trying out a cheap seatpost and saddle would be cheaper than buying meme paste
>>
File: velcro.png (255 KB, 771x388)
255 KB
255 KB PNG
>Be biking n shieeet
>put too much down force on the pedal
>foot slips and i nearly lose control or scrape the fuck out of my shin
should i buy these pedal straps or is it my shoes? I wear regular skater shoes. Will all of the off road bike chads make fun of me for having these!?
>>
File: proxy-image.jpg (18 KB, 425x323)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>1597501
I wouldn't recommend straps for offroad riding. You need to be able to get your foot out in a fraction of a second, straps aren't great for that. A pair of decent pinned pedals should give you all the grip you need.
>>
>>1597502
Yeah, that kind of came to mind after i post that. I might look into that and shin guards, just in case.
>>
>>1597502
this or clipless
>>
>>1597494
It's a dropper post and I have it all the way inside the seat tube.
>>
>>1597501

Or just place your foot properly.
>>
>>1597513
If you have a spare saddle, try swapping it for a ride or two. My bike had a creak like that and I swore it was the pedals. I eventually put a new saddle on my bike and put that old one on another bike, and wala the creak followed the saddle.
>>
>>1597501
yes. roadies will think you are a faggot. pedal straps ist peak 2009 style fad cringe.
>>
Been looking at getting into biking, I'm about 200 cm tall and 115 kg, do I need a special bike? Who sells a bike strong enough for me?
>>
File: tarabustardbellevue.jpg (155 KB, 300x491)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>1597552
This should suit you.
>>
>>1597552
ideally buy a Surly, they're the best bikes for big lads, but any basic bitch hardtail would also cut it.
just look for 8/9spd not 7 as at that level they're excessively shit.

You maaybe also have good used options if you post a local craigslist i could have a look
>>
File: $_59.jpg (63 KB, 960x720)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
speaking of cringe... look what i found. at first glance, it looks like a sick brakeless track bike.. but nope the bike has a 2 speed coasterbrake hub.

he is selling his wheels. i just hope this guy buys some real bigboy fixed gear wheels lmao
>>
>>1597556
>bigboy fixed gear
Such a thing does not exist. Fixies are for (man)children.
>>
>>1597552
Manufacturer weight limits for fancy race bikes are usually 120kg or higher, and normie hybrids or mountain bikes are way more than that. Get whatever you want.
>>
Lads, I am not buying that 1300 Euros expensive 2nd hand road bike.

The bike shop and the dealer have changed the description of those rental bikes a day ago.

2 weeks ago when I talked with him, he said for sure those bikes didn't run longer than 300 km.
Now he changed it to max. 500 km.

Not trustworthy

Bikes are the model in >>1596479. I bet he used the best maintained bike for those pictures while the rest in other sizes look considerably worse with blemish.
>>
File: well-actually-mlady.jpg (138 KB, 474x528)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>1597557
manchildren are technically big boys.
>>
File: ok.jpg (123 KB, 397x1085)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>1597561
>>
Wow, checked Ribble website, and now they tell you that they don't include the sales tax for EU countries.

Meaning those bikes will be exorbitantly more expensive.

A few days ago, the same bike would cost 1490 and now with local sales tax and whatever customs it will be well above 1600€.
>>
>>1597560
ok
>>
How are GP5000 in rain?
>>
>>1597567
Usually wet
>>
>>1597565
That's what happens when they're no longer in the union.
>>
>>1597565
>oh noes I have to mentally add tax to the price of things
this is how it's always been in murica
>>
>>1597572
Not the issue.

Bikes from the UK are not feasible anymore, anyone with brain in the EU won't buy UK bikes anymore.
It also means UK bikes will have to shoulder significant revenue loss.
>>
>>1597574
UK is a prison colony committing national suicide over wuflu. Some fromageniggers not buying bikes from them is the least of their problems.
>>
>>1597565
>ribble
people actually buy that shit lol
>>
>>1597583
Before Brexit, they did offer decent prices for bikes that you could actually order.

Canyon on the other side still have no bikes available, you cannot even preorder.
It's an absolute joke.

Tbh, Europe and the rest of the West has become an absolute joke.
Would move to Asia, the continent which produces everything we need, and have no problems anymore.
>>
>>1597583
I have never rid one but they probally make excellent bikes.. shame they have a stupid name.. Ribble.. as in ribbed for your pleasure...Those rose bikes and Decathlon Van Rysel bikes are also good even their branding is shit. But I would still prefer a Giant or a Specialized because I too am a fan of logos..
>>
>>1597576
lol pretty spot on
Anyway, I've just moved to Europe from the UK and the winters here are actually cold. How do I keep feet warm? I tried wool socks and winter boots but it only prolonged the inevitable.
>>
>>1597572
>this is how it's always been in murica
That is not a good thing.
>>
>>1597567
Any real answers?
>>
>>1597681
they are fine, they have insane grip compared to cheap basic tires, gp 4 season might have slightly more grip in the wet or cold but it shouldn't matter if you don't have ridiculously steep climbs
>>
>>1597565
And this is why I buy from Decathlon. RC520 and higher specced Rockriders are all ballers and great prices too. Just stay away from BTwin stuff.
>>
>>1597642
There are outer socks that seal from water and wind and add the extra insulation
>>
>>1597565
now you know how the rest of the world has always felt
>>
>>1597565
they've removed the UK VAT so it cancels out with your country's VAT
for example ribble endurance SL is 2617 euros in the UK and 2181 euros to germany
>>
>>1597691
>for example ribble endurance SL
*sport build with mavic cosmic SL40 wheels and integrated carbon cockpit
>>
>>1595103
Where can I get a normal good old fashion 1/2" x 3/32" road bike chain? I don't want a chain with this "master link"/"power connector" bullshit, I just want a normal chain that you can take links out of and put them back in again with a regular chain link tool. Does anyone know of a brand that sells this anymore?
>>
>>1597702
just don't use the master link
>>
>>1597567
They're good. I run 25c, and I don't have to back off much when it's cold and moderately wet, but I haven't tried them in a downpour yet. The ride quality is excellent and they work on mild offroad trails too. They're legit all-rounders.
>>
>>1597706
But do you know of one of these master link chains that allows you to put links back in once you've taken them out? I just bought a KMC chain with the master link and I took too many links out the first time, but the chain rivets are designed so that you can't put them back in.
>>
Anyone else knows what's up with Canyon?

None of their entry to middle class endurance bikes are available even for preorder.
Maybe one or two sizes and then with delivery in June.

Are they such a small company?
>>
>>1597709
Everything is fucked for 18-24 months, even for the biggest brands. Also, Canyon just got bought, so that could be throwing a spanner in the works.
>>
>>1597710
Their waiting list must be worse than trying to buy a Ferrari (ofc if you have the money for one).

Of course the overpriced models of other brands, all the high priced ones in general are widely available.

Surprise surprise
>>
>>1597642
now it's abnormally cold at least in my country so you should not necessarily worry about staying comfortable in such cold weather. it's generally not normal to spend a lot of time outdoors, certainly not in bad weather. it's very much an anglo thing to spend hours cycling and bikepacking etc.
>>
>>1596561
come on anon, don't be a faggor and respect your bike bros, they always help everyone here.

>>1596443
i actually did that the other day with my GF bike, she had to take the bus home due to rain and left her bike here, them asked to take it to her home another day, it was absolutely terrifying but as soon as i started pedaling it went ok.
though i have weak girly arms and couldn't hold her big ass 29er for much longer than what i did.

while i'm on it, my knee hurts every time i pedal hard, as soon as i get to 40km it starts hurting and stinging like needles on the right side of the right knee, it is being like this for a little more than a month already, i can pedal nicely if it is on lighter gear, and up to 20 km/h, more than that and it starts hurting, i'm putting ice every single day and whenever i go for a longer ride i put some kynesio tape on it
is there anything else i can do to fix it and get back to my normal riding? or will i need to look for a doctor?
>>
>>1597720
>come on anon, don't be a faggor and respect your bike bros, they always help everyone here.
lol sorry for acting like a douche, I just feel some people just jump to reply to whatever even if they don't know the answer
also get a bike fit
>>
>>1597711
Does Canyon even have a waiting list? One of my local Specialized dealers told me the other day that even with the high end models they're having an impossible time fulfilling demand. Like, they managed to get their hands on a Sagan Edition S-Works Tarmac for a whale customer and according to them it was the only one that went to a west coast dealer, and it was basically a random miracle that they managed to get it. Getting a hold of components is a bitch, except maybe for Campagnolo, as their supply doesn't get gomped up by OEMs.
>>
>>1597730
carrying a bike on another bike is some crazy hobo shit bro
>>
>>1597709
>Are they such a small company?
Dude even the big boys are hurting and have tons of popular models that aren't due to be in stock until like September.
>>
>>1597708
I'm not really sure what you mean. You shouldn't really ever do that, ideally. It gets more and more difficult to do it as brands use better methods of peening the pins.
>>
>>1597742
>>1597748

How comes so many people want a road bike nowadays?

Are there so many fit, lean and flexible people out there?
>>
File: chain.jpg (11 KB, 333x151)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1597708
are you pushing the rivet pin out completely? it's impossible to get the rivet in if you push then out completely...
>>
>>1597750
There was definitely increased demand this past year because people were like "oh fuck, I'm so bored, I should go buy outdoor recreation equipment." But there have also been so many production delays and other supply issues so it's hard for bike companies to get bikes out the door.
>>
>>1597751
it's no problem to extend the chain when you understand how it works. it's not exactly rocket science...
>>
>>1597750
countries who went full retard with the covid lockdowns still allowed cycling and and allowed bike shops to stay open
many normies bought anything to keep them from being bored like gaming pc hardware not just bikes
there were also supply issues like the other anon said
>>
>>1597755
also the shilling by GCN and other channels has been successful
anyone who just wants to learn the basics like changing a tire gets road bikes shoved in their face
i welcome it though because i hate normalfag department store bikes and shitty old cruiser bikes that are common where i live
>>
>>1597752
>>1597755

But seeing the second-hand market is being fucked up as well, means they haven't sold their bikes yet.
>>
>>1597759
what?
>>
>>1597730
>>1597744
It's that people are very mean on most of the boards, and even though I had some rather retarded questions when I first got here, people still treated me very nicely

I know people on cyclocross run carrying the bikes on their backs, I would honestly never do that but if the other option of pushing the other bike along is not what you want you can try this, they have a neat technic for running with the bike, if it's not a heavy bike you can probably try it.
There's a video on GCN YouTube channel about it, sry for not Linkin it but I'm almost falling asleep here, and it's not that hard to find.
>>
>>1597763
I was more thinking about some way of towing the bike behind you, like removing the front wheel and attaching the fork to your rear triangle somehow
I guess I'll just ghetto rig it as usual
>>
>>1597930
a trailer like i said would be a better solution to avoid damaging anything
pic related is pretty sturdy, you can put desk chair type wheels under it or build a more roadworthy trailer to put the bike on top of
>>
>>1597684
>>1597707
Thanks
>>
>>1597946
That is the stupidest idea ever
>>
>>1597955
so move your bikes with your car or someshit
>>
>>1597961
I do. Sure beats transporting perfectly working big wheel vehicles on teeny tiny wheels that get stuck in the smallest crack on the pavement
Also we already told you how to do it by bike but you are too weak and stupid to go with it.
>>
>>1597974
kys
>>
>>1597979
You mad bro? :^)
>>
File: ChrisLieto09bike (1).jpg (73 KB, 600x565)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
I have a stupid fashion fixie without bottle cage mounts? How do I carry liquid without a backpack? I do not want to look like a trifag with an assblaster 3000 saddle water bottle.
>>
>>1598008
>I do not want to look like a trifag with an assblaster 3000 saddle water bottle.
Sorry, but you already look stupider than that guy when you're on your "fixie".
>>
>>1598018
it's just a bicycle. you are a very closed minded person if you find people who ride bicycles look stupid. free your mind...
>>
>>1598008
your body is 60% water so just open up your veins imo
>>
File: WATSON_00003872-034.jpg (128 KB, 1000x667)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>1598037
just because you are anonymous doesn't mean you have to be an asshole.
>>
>>1598008
sks anywhere mounts, bottle bobs, zefal mounts or rivnuts.
>>
>>1598043
ok thank you. i think i will order the sks mounts.
>>
>>1598005
you're toxic and arguing in bad faith
you're a waste of time and energy
you need something for the bike to stay upright in order to tow it properly
with small wheels on the bike stand it won't roll much worse than a shopping cart, the stand actually has more compliance than a shopping cart because of the plastic and the bike tire squish, you're exaggerating how bad your roads are, if your roads are that bad you live in a real shithole, and i said you could build a more roadworthy trailer
>>
>>1598008
see
>>1597104
>>1597105
>>1597106
>>1597109
also you could have a frame bag and put a bottle or two in the frame bag
>>
>>1598008
bags are getting more and more hip. there are tons of companies making stem bags that are perfect for a bottle, and it's a nice spot for small stuff like keys and junk is you aren't carrying a bottle at the time.
>>
>>1598051
>>
>>1598052
right?
>>
>>1598046
https://bikepacking.com/index/add-cage-mounts-bike/
>>
File: foz2.jpg (932 KB, 1222x815)
932 KB
932 KB JPG
god i can't wait to summer. there is nothing better than taking a break from the Racer™ lifestyle and going on a crazy adventure...drinking ice cold beverages...cruisin and groovin
>>
>>1598048
>with small wheels on the bike stand it won't roll much worse than a shopping cart
or pic relate
>>
>>1598048
>you're toxic and arguing in bad faith
you have to go back
>>
>>1598087
i'm literally just waiting for my top cap to arrive in probably a week or two and then i'll most likely be able to build my bike and move on with my life. i stopped lurking >>>/g/mkg a while after i had my keyboard and keycap upgrades in place. with /n/ i am more than eager to leave because of how long this has dragged out. it's bittersweet because i lost a lot of time with the shit tier small fixie brand and then there were other issues like the aliexpress carbon handlebar taking 3 fucking months to arrive only for it to be the wrong version from what i ordered, and the cheapo track wheels not even fitting because they had 9.5mm axles instead of 9/10mm, but on the bright side i will end up with a damn sweet custom bike and the knowledge and experience of having built my own wheels and how to do bike maintenance with nice tools and without fucking anything up etc.
>>
>>1598095
>wall of text
EAT SHIT
>>
>>1598111
seethe
>>
>>1598114
no u
>>
>>1598116
cope
>>
File: 1582394528655.jpg (55 KB, 843x903)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>1598118
yikes
>>
holy shit, shut the fuck up, you two.
>>
>>1598136
rent free
>>
>>1598168
God, 4chan is just becoming an echo chamber and a place for people to use the latest retarded buzzwords. We could be talking about bikes, but people like you are just helping this place to devolve into a microcosm of mainstream internet culture.
>>
>>1598170
seethe

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.