[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 93 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: d_fast_g_mkt_00115.jpg (253 KB, 1920x1080)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
Welcome to the /gag/ - /gag/ is dedicated to all the pilots and pilot applicants out there, and although the name suggests otherwise, airline, military, and charter discussion is welcome.
Keep it on topic, keep the shit throwing to a minimum, no nudes. Bikefags not allowed :^)

Previous Thread: >>1576104
>>
New thread for a new year. More hope for the future, my /n/egroes
>>
Anybody on here started a part 91 charter or 135 cargo company of their own?
>>
I would love to own and fly a Cirrus SF50 one day just for personal/friend usage. It seems like a fairly affordable jet but I have absolutely no background in flying. Is there any sort of recommended roadmap I should take to get to this point? Should I just start racking up hours on any plane I can? I live in an area with tons of water so I can't learn to fly on traditional runways...only seaplanes from lakes
>>
>>1594025
If you a millionaire then yeah, it’s doable. Get your private license and probably ifr and get trained in that plane. Could probably be flying one in 100-150 hours if you tried
>>
>>1593998
charter is also part 135. part 91 is restricted only to private ownership and cannot be chartered. this sometimes happens but is in no way shape or form legal and the FAA will railroad you.
>>
>>1594025
Step : be a multi millionaire
Step 2: get PPL, IFR, and type rating
Step 3: pay hundreds of thousands of dollars a year on fuel and maintenance
Step 4: ??????
Step 5: Profit!
>>
>>1594025
You'd be better off flying an Eclipse 550 @ $700/hr.
>>
>>1593760
I was thinking of taking a commercial aviation degree about 2 years ago, even did a flight with the school. glad I bailed when I looked at the cost vs starting pay for a co-pilot even on a major feeder
>>
>>1594381
>starting pay
Did you do more than 5 minutes of research about the career field? Everyone knows the starting regional FO pay scale is ass. The draw is that the pay increases significantly over a short time. Not only that, but many regional airlines (barring the exceptional circumstances this past year) have 1-2 year FO-Captain upgrade times, which is on a separate pay scale. They then transfer to a major, where they jump in on the FO scale there which is better than the Captain scale at the regionals. The upgrade time is significant longer at a major, but you don’t get in the majors for 2 or 3 years, that’s your long term career. Senior Captains at most majors will be making greater than 260K, and even if you finish your airline career as a senior first officer you’ll still make something like 150K or better.

If I left my instructing job I’d take a pay cut of something like 8-9K/year, but I’d make almost double what I do currently in the following year.
>>
UTA137 squawked 7700 and disappeared. No idea WTF happened.
>>
>>1594303
There's also 91K, à la netjets. Worth learning about.
>>
File: 5dfc587c2ca17.preview.png (130 KB, 940x760)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
>>1594500
RIP
>>
File: file.png (55 KB, 1249x386)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>1594716
>>
>>1594747
oh good
>>
>>1594638
that's true I was remiss in mentioning that to the other anon.
>>
I spoke with PSA Airlines today. They said there will be no hiring at all this whole year
>>
>>1594387
>If I left my instructing job I’d take a pay cut of something like 8-9K/year, but I’d make almost double what I do currently in the following year.
Where the fuck do you teach where you’re consistently making $60k right now?
>>
File: iwFWyji.jpg (420 KB, 2048x1537)
420 KB
420 KB JPG
>>1595731
not surprised, despite the vaccine being rolled out pretty quickly, not much has changed
i am a ppl who was taking the pt 61 route to airlines, and honestly thought
covid was going to be a small bump in the road.
what can others in my situation tell me about their outlook?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/04/21-years-of-airline-passenger-traffic-growth-erased-in-2020-travel-report.html
>>
>>1595732
what regional pays 50k to first year FOs?
as it currently stands, you are lucky as a first year fo to even have your job, and pre pandemic 40k was unheard of
>>
Did touch and go's for two hours yesterday. Landing is hard. First couple of times I really planted it on the ground. There was a slight crosswind so I kept drifting off the center-line. Maintaining a good consistent sink rate was challenging and I often felt like I was dropping out of the sky or coming down too slowly.
How the fuck am I supposed to master this shit?
>>
Part 91 to commercial is not the easiest task I have learned
>>
>>1595808
Have you been under a rock since 2009? Envoy and Skywest both had starting FO pay of $50k+ signing bonus/bennies before this gay pandemic hit.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkJ_I0USC0c

F
>>
>>1595732
According to my payslip I make about $45K/year, although it is hourly and I realistically won’t see that. After lookin it up I agree, I’d probably make more if I went to the airlines, barring last year’s exception. But the overall point remains, the starting pay isn’t fantastic but it jumps up quick.
>>
>>1595986
It’s kinda fucked up that when I hear about a crash, I am relieved when it was pilot error. Dying to a mechanical issue would be terrifying. Rip to that dude
>>
>>1596010
I think he may have had a medical problem.
>>
>>1596013
people in the comments are speculating it was a stroke.
>>
>>1593760
Is it a good time to study for commercial pilot now?
In the past I read about students syncing their studies with predicted demand peaks at the time of finishing them. Since rona fucked up air travel, the moment it opens up there will be huge demand for pilots.
Is this reasoning valid?
>>
Did my first solo today. Part 61. Not really thrilled about going to airlines if the pay is shit. Also not thrilled about being gone from home weeks at a time for shit pay. I drove truck for several years so I’ve been there done that. Really don’t know where to go with the certs I’ll have. After I’m done with this program I’ll have Ppl, Cpl, IR, Cfi, Cfii, mei, at about 250-275 hours.
>>
>>1596150
valid reasoning but this covid shit seems different than the usual recessions to me
only time can tell if your strategy is smart
>>
>>1596192
Then quit, why waste the money if you’re not excited
>>
>>1596192
You should quit so the rest of us who actually enjoy this will have jobs, even "if the pay is shit".
>>
>>1596192
as someone in a similar position, i've opted not to continue past PPL at this point. i thought i'd enjoy this more than i do, and i don't want to spend a bunch of time and money trying to move into another career i'll be pretty ambivalent about, especially now when its prospects have become significantly more grim.
>>
>>1595808
Envoy, Skywest, Republic, PSA, Envoy, Piedmont
>>
>>1596002
I was a full time employee at a large school in Florida and my job offer said $45k/yr, but in reality I made $29k
>>
>>1596192
Scroll down for hourly wages

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/endeavor_air
>>
>>1596222
There is a difference between enjoying flying as a whole and enjoying airline flying. Obviously you read that with cynicism in mind. I wouldn’t have quit a career making 75k a year and being home every night to now making nothing and plunging into debt if I didn’t enjoy flying. There are many other job path careers in aviation I can take that don’t involve airline bullshit. All I was asking was if there was an alternative given the present economy and the fact that the program I’m on is most definitely not calling anyone up to the regional airline.

@1596224 I am excited for this and you sound like someone who dissuades people from aviation because somehow it makes you feel like you’re better than everyone else. Take that arrogance and politely stick it. You need to be encouraging people to get into this or this shit won’t be around anymore. Do you know how many Asian dudes come over here and get their certs and bounce? Quite a lot....and they get to fly a King air too...so quit being a prick.
>>
>>1596233
I would agree with you on the prospects but before I committed to changing careers I spent a some time paying for flight lessons on my own to really make sure this is what I wanted to do. If you somewhat enjoy your current career then I’d say stick with that and get a PPL. In my situation I hated my old career so this was a change for the better no matter what. I don’t care about the money airlines offer...I care about the variety. I’d definitely make less but I’d be happier if I did odd ball jobs in aviation.
>>
https://youtu.be/SR8OzZsjwhw?t=156
"Setting it down in the field in front of me"
>>
>>1596315
I appreciate the resource. 51 is not bad at all compared to the 35-40 floating around the halls of my school. The fact remains that I’d still be doing the same shit as I did in trucking. Being gone for weeks at a time is the only thing that concerns me joining a regional. None the less I’ll file this away. If things become real bad....beggars can’t be choosers so.
>>
>>1596375
What benefits does your company offer?
>>
>>1596192
>gone for weeks at a time
depends on what kind of flying you're doing and what your seniority is
>>
>>1596377
Not sure about the benefits, just the pay and I’d have to relocate to Salt Lake City. I have a choice if I want to do the program to get into Skywest but from what my instructor and others have been told they aren’t getting called up anytime soon.
>>
>>1596397
Very true. When I was looking into different regionals the norm for the first two years would be either relocation to ATL or someplace equally miserable and you’d be gone for a couple weeks then back a week. This was also before COVID so it could be different now, or worse. Bottom line is I can afford a couple days but not week, let alone weeks. Don’t really care about the relocation part, I don’t have any crotch goblins and no side pieces so there’s that.
>>
>>1596423
>no benefits
Why the fuck would you rather stay instructing somewhere where there are no benefits vs going to an airline that has great benefits!?!

How do you afford healthcare??
>>
>>1596469
>How do you afford healthcare??
some people don't need to constantly go to the doctor. i'm not the guy you're replying to but my only medical expenses in the past year have been exams for my medical certificate.
>>
File: giraffe.png (415 KB, 477x362)
415 KB
415 KB PNG
In A&P school. One quarter from getting my Powerplant and General certs, then another 9 months for Airframe.
I'm concerned with my job prospects. Covid really fucked everything up. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. My instructors are all of the opinion that the industry will rebound, but they're all boomers who have been out of the industry for over a decade. I'm not as optimistic as they are.
Feels bad, lads.
>>
>>1596548
>some people don't need to constantly go to the doctor
What’s your plan if you end up in the hospital because you fall and break a bone, eat something really bad and get really sick, or get in a car wreck?

Health insurance is like Home Insurance. You’re house doesn’t burn down everyday, because if something happens and you don’t have it, you’re fucked.
>>
>>1596548
I was the same until last year, little shit adds up so quick you wouldn’t believe it
>>
>>1596560
>>1596548
I had had a cut on my hand that somehow got infected a few months ago. Overnight my hand swelled up and became hard. I went to urgent care and they told me I needed to go to the hospital. Turns out I had cellulitis (which if you don’t know what it is, it’s very serious). I was in the hospital for less than an hour. And all I did was get some blood drawn and speak with a doctor before wrote me a bunch prescriptions. The total bill for this appointed was $4,789. That was the cost for 1 hour in a hospital. Now, I have insurance so they covered it all. But if I hadn’t? I’d owe $4,789. Imagine if the cellulitis had spread and I had to be admitted. That could have easily totaled in the tens of thousands of dollars
>>
I did my first solo XC as a student today, and had one moment where I'm not sure if I was retarded or if I was given unclear instructions. When approaching an airport I intended to land at, shortly after being handed off from approach to tower, I was given an instruction by tower to "enter a right downwind" for the runway of landing. I was somewhere between 4 and 5 miles from the field when this happened. Based on what past experience I had, I moved to turn immediately. This confused the controller, as shortly after he explained that he intended for me to approach to within roughly a mile of the field (usual traffic pattern dimensions), THEN turn downwind. Also for reference, at a previous stop on the flight I had been instructed by a different airport's tower to enter a left base when I was still close to 9 miles out from the field, which I also immediately complied with and they did not give me any grief over.

Was I being an idiot here?
>>
>>1596556
Be a military contractor overseas?
>>
>>1596616
he must have not explained well enough what he wanted. Because if you didn’t miss any instructions, and if he told you to join the downwind, so you turn to join the downwind. Well, that was just what he told you to do.
>>
>>1596621
Nah. I just want a decent job stateside so that I can raise my family and own a nice little chunk of land.
>>
>>1596616
In my experience, they want you to maneuver to a point in reference to a standard traffic pattern. For example, if you’re offset 30° from the final approach course 6 miles inbound to the airport. If the controller asks you to make right base for the runway, maneuver to a point where you would turn onto the base in a normal traffic pattern.

That being said, it’s also controller-specific; some like it a certain way while others don’t care.
>>
>>1596616
If you’re unsure, just ask again. If you state you’re a student pilot, the tower and everyone will understand that you’ll probably fuck up.
>>
>>1596616
Well, he asked you to "enter a right downwind". To me that says get on the downwind as you would normally do, so about a mile from the field like the controller corrected you to. The previous stop you mentioned said "enter a left base" so he was expecting you to fly straight to the base leg of the flight, as you did. Both are different so I don't think the controllers misspoke. I wouldn't call you an idiot, you just misinterpreted the controllers instructions. Since this was your first solo XC you still did damn fine. Plus you probably said you were a student pilot solo to the approach controller so they knew you were a student and gave you more attention in case you made a mistake.
Congratulations on your first solo XC, too! Seems like a lot more than I did since I just went to a non towered airport 50.6 miles away from home.
>>
>>1596469
I didn’t say there were no benefits I said I wasn’t sure. I don’t even have my PPL yet so I’m several months time the school I’m attending might have openings again for instructors. At that point I’ll look at see what benefits they offer for the school, although I know that the instructors are paid the absolute lowest in the entire area so that doesn’t instill much confidence that I’ll be there for long if at all. I’ve been lookin at other instructor jobs but nothing serious until I have an expected acquisition date for my CPL and CFII.
>>
File: 171011-Z-RD118-068.jpg (367 KB, 1800x1200)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
I'm gonna apply to the A-10 squadron in Michigan and go visit their base next month.

The only downside is... Detroit. Why does it have to be in Detroit?

(They have the coolest-looking A-10 in the country though.)
>>
>>1597426
Live in Dearborn and commute
>>
>>1597434
well the base in on the north edge of detroit, some town on mount clemens?

regardless, i dont think i would want to live anywhere in the hellscape that is the detroit metropolitan area. whats the rural areas north of detroit like?
>>
>>1597426
>>1597437
Go get Detroit style pizza
>>
>LLWS
>MOD TURB SFC-18000
>SEV TURB SFC-18000
>conditions present 250 NM in every direction from the departure airport
I hate cross countries.
>>
>>1597645
That XC is always the biggest pain in the ass to complete
>>
>>1597646
My poor student has one today and tomorrow and it’s kinda shit in every direction.
>>
>>1597645
Took me four tries to get good weather for the long XC. Midwest summers can be a real pain in the ass.
>>
>>1597426
I am too. By the way they can smell your apprehension about their area a mile away. So either chase the dream with the pros and cons or just don’t apply lol. Either you want it or you don’t, that simple.
>>
Threadly reminder that if you don’t have a bachelor's degree you will never make it in this field

>>1596192
Your call to stay or go, but flying fucking sucks and I’d rather do anything else. I’m just in this career for earning potential and time off potential. If the idea of either or both of those is lucrative, that’s why you’re here. Good luck on the shit eating, we all were there.
>>
PSA Airlines is NOW HIRING
>>
>>1597725
But they aren’t
>>
>>1597645
You in CO or OK?
>>
>>1597655
My dream squadron is the Hawg squadron in Missouri, which is close to where I live and all my family lives, plus my favorite area of the country (central usa). But by limiting myself to a single squadron I would only be shooting myself in the foot. they only have one hiring board a year.

also have you recorded your video introduction yet? i've never done this before... this is going to be so awkward. i'm not good on camera.
>>
been thinking of becoming a pilot but i don't know if it would be better to go to the US or Canada to start flight school. any foreigners that went to these countries for a flight school got any info that can help me decide?
>>
>>1597761
Nah but Duluth required the same for the vipers. It’s awkward; just reshoot it until you’ve feel you’ve conveyed your key information with out too much stiffness or umm/uhs and just send it that way. Also I’ve seen some goooooober videos where the amount of effort is both funny and excessive. It’s your proverbial 2 minutes on the elevator. The rush will have more weight than the rest of your apps anyways.
>>
>>1597736
Was travelling to CO, decision to go was made. Unfortunately we had a mechanical issue halfway and returned to base. Funny enough, it was beautiful flying weather.
>>
>>1597725
Oops my bad >>1597728 thanks for the heads up bro
>>
How did you guys pay for your training? like did you take out a loan or something? also how many years it took you to complete everything? (Private to commercial/ATP cert
>>
>>1598261
I paid in cash
>>
>>1598280
how long it took you to pay in cash? were you already saving before you did training or your family just gave you cash to pay for it
>>
>>1598283
I already had the money in my bank. I worked a lot years prior and had built up a savings of $100k. Didn’t originally do it for flight training. But it just kind of worked out that way
>>
>>1597426
why hawg? slow, ugly, one-trick-pony. old airframes.
>>
>>1598261
Cash, saved up about $15k before and worked 20 hours a week all throughout flight training. Took me 4 years and 220 hours of training to get to commercial w/ instrument and single+multi engine and my CFI. Also went to university full time. Plus the weather gets shitty here in Jan/Feb so its hard to get up those months. If you have more money saved up and can just focus on flying you can knock it out much quicker than that.
>>
>>1598397
>why hawg?
I've been obsessed with the hog for a long time, in fact it was my main motivation for becoming a pilot. More than anything I love the close air support mission. Fighter jets don't do anything for me, but flying low to the ground, providing close firepower to soldiers in need is what appeals to me more than anything else. the A-10 is such a unique plane with a unique mission, i love it.

>slow
i dont care about going fast

>ugly
whether it's planes or cars or anything else, i like the ones that look different

>one-trick-pony
and she does that trick extremely well

>old airframes
i love old planes.

my second favorite air force plane is the C-130, another slow ugly old aircraft. but a workhorse with a lot of unique missions!
>>
>>1598454

>>CAS

I hear you. My jet does nearly every mission set there is but CAS is our bread and butter.
>>
>>1598474
You a navy strike guy?
>>
>>1598523
nah, AF
>>
>>1598537
strike eagle?
>>
>>1597426
have that pic up on my wall
seen that thing fly at many shows
such a rad a-10
>>
File: 171011-Z-RD118-079.jpg (450 KB, 1800x1200)
450 KB
450 KB JPG
>>1599021
>>
File: 171011-Z-RD118-050.jpg (543 KB, 1800x1200)
543 KB
543 KB JPG
>>1599021
>>
File: 171011-Z-RD118-026.jpg (517 KB, 1800x1200)
517 KB
517 KB JPG
>>1599021
>>
>>1595808
I made 52 my first year not counting bonuses at Piedmont
>>
>>1595893
Practice
>>
>>1596314
I was at L3 in Orlando for one year, I made 44. I did 14 hour days and worked my ass off.
>>
>>1597715
You say that, but I know guys who flowed to mainline AA without degrees.
>>
>>1597438
>Detroit style pizza
Let me guess, its thickness is 9 mm.
>>
>>1599075
What was the lifestyle like?
An airline job sounds pretty cushy since it seems like there is no politics involved.
>>
>>1599206
Haha
>>
>>1599036
>>1599037
>>1599038
Every time I see A-10s being posted I always the need to fly one, such a badass plane.
>>
I really don’t like heavy turbulence. Flying by the Rockies, the weather is often pretty bad, but is this something I’ll get over? I got over 150 hours and I still get very tensed out by getting bounced around.
>>
>>1599373
You sound like a girl. Imagine a sailor who can't stand waves lol.
>>
>>1599206
>>1599206 Legal minimum number of days off, 0400 wake-ups, after midnight touchdowns, no stability, hot in the summer, cold in the winter, up to 6 legs a day. Not exactly cushy. Also not the hardest job I've ever had.
>>
>>1599373
When I first started I didn't fancy it much but by the time I got my private I was accustomed to it. Now I think a bit of turbulence is kinda fun, makes it more challenging.
>>
>>1599373
Nobody likes heavy turbulence, it sucks. Learn about the mechanisms behind turbulence and what weather products can help identify the conditions. If the conditions exist, you can judge the severity and make an informed decision on if it’s even worth going.
>>
>>1599077
Instructors at L3 are flying less than 30 hours a month right now
>>
>>1599077
>14 hour days to make $44k
Pathetic
>>
>>1595893
Get your instructor to demonstrate and pay attention to the landing attitude, and how high your ass is off the ground
>>
>>1596192
Be a CFI and also teach groundschool
>>
>>1596919
Get your CFI CFII and MEI - "triple threat" - and 500 hours dual given with at least 150-200 multi if possible. Then you can go to any big flight school, fly your ass off and make big bucks
>>
>>1597645
On days like those there is usually a smooth - or less bumpy - altitude, probably between 3 to 6k. AGL.
>>
>>1598261
3 years to get faa single/multi comm, CFI/II/MEI, and EASA ATPLs / ME-IR, and EASA instructor ratings. But I started with a PPL and spent most of my time in Florida drinking mexican beer on the beach with various thots
>>
>>1599037
>invasion stripes
Puh-leese
>>
>>1599077
Did you do progs or were you just a regular CFI? Do they do EASA stuff there too like CAE in Phoenix?
>>
>>1599629
Not him, but no they don’t do EASA
>>
>>1599629
>>1599629 FAA only. Prog are what we called progress reports, and everyone did those.
If you're referring to stage checks, no I was not a check airman.those guys made more money but often flew less because they ended up doing the oral portions of checks as well as flying. Their billable flight time to ground time ratio was 50/50, mine was closer to 80/20 as a regular line instructor.
>>
>>1599601
>>1599601
It's what I had to do to get where I am now in the timeframe I wanted to do it. Wouldn't want to do it again, but I'm glad I did it.
>>
>>1599760
I worked at L3Harris until I got laid off. Quality of life was awful, and management was absolutely terrible. After Covid started, flight hours disappeared too, which is why they laid off 30+ instructors just from the SFB location alone
>>
>>1599629
>>1599627
>EASA
What schools? Would like to get those certs myself after I get out of my current 141
>>
>>1599997
You know EASA would cost like another $40k right? FAA certs do not translate. You’d be required to take another 11 checkrides
>>
>>1600017
Yeah I know. $40k seems steep, but I'll just pay it with CFI earnings and inheritance money.
>>
>>1600019
>but I'll just pay it with CFI earnings
>CFI earnings
>>
>>1599766
Yeah I always worked it so my days off would be Tuesday and Wednesday, that way you only see management 3 days per week, and since they always left early of Friday it was more like 2 days per week. The less I saw them the better. My manager always left me alone and always signed my stuff off right away because he knew I was super productive.

It sucks that things went downhill so hard. I hope you are able to get lots of flying in soon.

The really terrible thing is that the guys who have been there the longest are the lazy ones who find excuses to not fly, and they are the ones who were kept because they were senior. I have stayed in touch with a former student of mine who is working on his CFI and he can't get his instructor to fly with him despite the low student load... if he was with a motivated instructor he would have been done a long time ago. The hungry new guys always fly the most, and they're the ones who were let go. Terrible.
>>
>>1600065
It took me 2 months to get SR20 Standz because my instructor was only putting me on the schedule once a week (and often canceling it). That’s is where they had put my whole new hire class. When I brought it up to management they said “just be patient”.

I got laid off so I’m not there anymore fuck everyone there. They still think they are Aerosim and they definitely didn’t care about the instructors. The CFIs who are still there lost that monthly housing bonus, and they took a big paycut. Also a week before we got furloughed. My supervisor literally told me “don’t worry anon, we will have a lot of flying for you soon”. Then I got my furlough notice. They lied to us. Because most of our students were grounded by Hanain Airlines because that company didn’t want their students flying during Covid. When 30 of us got furlough notices, they told us that “the reason you’re being furloughed is because your students are grounded”. 2 days before the furlough was to go into effect, there was monthly instructor meeting and they told us that all the Chinese students were now ungrounded. So of course the people about to be furloughed were pissed. And managers just said “we can’t answer your questions so direct them to HR”. HR says “don’t worry. This is just temporary. Your students will be reassigned to a new instructor but you’ll get them after the furlough”. Guess the fuck what happened. At the end of the furlough. They sent letters telling us to go in. We go in. And IN PERSON they tell us “sorry you’re being let go”
>>
>>1599766
And as for terrible QOL, I pretty much went from my apartment straight to the airplane. Only stayed in opps long enough to clock in, drop off my ARF, and schedule a few LOFT flights for later in the day. It was all about spending as much time in the airplane and as little time on the ground as possible. I also would combine ground lessons and get the sim sessions out of the way ASAP.
>>
>>1600071
That's awful. I'm sorry that happened. What a waste of time... I definitely do not credit L3 with helping me get where I am, I had to do everything. I found my own students, made sure we got airplanes, I even bribed a manager to fly with me so I could finish up standz.

The thing that put me over the edge was when they hired that evil lesbian bitch to be a group leader when she literally had 0 hours of dual given. She was "in the club" so she got a job dozens of hard working instructors deserved and desired. She could barely fly, let alone teach or manage day to day instructor issues. Also she is a cunt.
>>
>>1600079
>I found my own students, made sure we got airplanes, I even bribed a manager to fly with me so I could finish up standz.
how is that possible?

>The thing that put me over the edge was when they hired that evil lesbian
let me guess. I agree. She was the one who told me "Don't worry anon! there will be a lot of flying coming soon! we have tons of students coming it" (even during all the lockdowns and border closings) https://youtu.be/2cJya-Ni2zA
>>
>>1600076
The flight standard manager thought the earth was flat, his assistant couldn't hack it at the airlines and went back to the school to be a big fish in a small pond, the safety manager barely knew what an airplane was, schedulers were barely literate, dispatchers had no sense of urgency or time management, managers sided with students during disputes, CFI instructors hated flying and would cancel at the drop of a hat leaving guys who needed to earn a living just sitting around, they would shut the whole school down if it even smelled like rain, and the corporate bulletin that came about when L3 bought the place had nothing to do with our jobs, but we had to do it anyways because some busy bodies in London said so. The contract students were always grounded, nobody gave a fuck that literal YEARS of people lives were just being wasted for no God damned reason... yeah. Fuck that place. I made it work for me, but it was despite them, not because of them.
>>
>>1600082
I demanded things, I didn't ask. I lied, put people who were just fucking sitting around on my schedule without asking (because their instructors were deadbeats), bought managers beer, I did whatever I had to do to keep the show on the road. I made sure I got hard working students by going into the records and seeing which ones were flying and passing, traded my lazy students away to lazy instructors, would fly outside the schedule, you name it.
>>
>>1600082
Yeah, that's her.
>>
>>1600094
she got promoted to group manager
>>
>>1600097
LMAO. I hope she never finds her way into a 121 cockpit.
>>
>>1600085
>The flight standard manager thought the earth was flat, his assistant couldn't hack it at the airlines and went back to the school to be a big fish in a small pond, the safety manager barely knew what an airplane was, schedulers were barely literate, dispatchers had no sense of urgency or time management, managers sided with students during disputes, CFI instructors hated flying and would cancel at the drop of a hat leaving guys who needed to earn a living just sitting around
extremely accurate
>>
>>1600100
I don't think she will. She loves her salary and 9-5 schedule with weekends and holidays off. Plus once L3 and Harris merged into L3Harris, the benefits got really really good. she's enjoying her 200+ hours of paid vacation, solid health insurance, and all the other bennies that came into play.
>>
>>1600104
Good. Catch me making 100k flying actual airplanes instead of a desk.
>>
>>1600105
were you the anon who went to Compass or the one who went to GoJet?
>>
>>1600107
Neither.
>>
>>1600117
Swayne?
>>
>>1600119
Swayne wasn’t a CFI. He flew Part 135 in Hawaii because he has YouTube star status
>>
>>1600119
Also, why the hell would you think Swayne would even lurk 4chan??
>>
>>1600101
>all these fellow L3 fags
Man FUCK scheduling. What a bunch of rude fucking incompetents. Go to ask for a change and it’s like pulling fucking teeth. I might be unemployed but it’s a fuckton better than dealing with that place. Should’ve done atp
>>
>>1600200
When were you there?
>>
>>1600200
>scheduling
One time when the tentative schedule came out, I noticed I wasn’t on it. And both of my students were given to other instructors. So I walked into the office and that asshole, Brandon. Argued with me saying it’s because I never submitted an ARF. When I told him that I did. He actually argued with me saying I’m not going on the schedule because they didn’t receive my arf and it wasn’t in there email. I told him that he was wrong and it’s there, that I did send it. He said to me “ALL these CFIs come in here complaining because they don’t follow policy and then want us to fix their problems blah blah blah. But just for YOU, I’ll show you that it’s not here and then you’re going to get out of my office and go see your manager”. He went over to the computer. Went into the email. He got quiet and I said “don’t you see it?” And he replied with “yeah. It’s there..”
>>
>>1598261
seems like if you actually make a decision to make the schooling/training your main thing in life you can get it done within a couple years, perhaps around a year and a half
in florida at least
>>
>>1600203
Totally. And Brandon was a fuckton better than that useless waste of oxygen haleema.
>>
>>1600449
I was having a lot of sleep issues when I was there. Because I’d switch between morning and nights every other day. One morning my first event would be at 6am and the next day my first event could be 10pm at night and end at 3am. I talked to my doctor about it because it was really a lot. He was absolutely shocked that our schedules were so shitty. He couldn’t believe that we didn’t know a weekly schedule. He asked me what the management schedules were like, and when I said they work 9-5 weekends off he said they were abusing us.
>>
>>1600017
They do, to an extent. Depends how many hours you have and if you choose a competent school / EASA country. It's probably closer to $20k. Annex III of EU decision 2020/723 is your friend

>>1599997
The groundschool is the hardest part. Get that out of the way then do flight training later... there are some idiots in Ft Pierce who can hopefully be persuaded to endorse you for the exams if you pay them 4 grand... if you have 1000hrs in cs-25 jets you can self-endorse.

>>1599758
Yeah, I meant stage checks. I know what you mean, I refused to be a stage check instructor for that reason.

>>1600076
Sounds like an ideal141.

>>1600079
Similar thing happened where I was only she became assistant chief. She checked me out in a pa44 and she'd only flown new ones with electric primers, not old ones, couldn't start it. Still grates.

>>1600085
Sounds like L3 in the UK (soon to be RIP).

>>1600200
Scheduling were the worst where I was too. The check ride scheduling guy was awesome though

By the way... Fuck Talon!
>>
Place your bet!

Who’s the next US based regional carrier to go out of business? My money is on Air Wisconsin
>>
>>1602365
I pick gojet. Don’t want to see it happen to anyone but as of right now Skywest has gojet a lot bit by the balls. My understanding is that Skywest bought a bunch of airplanes from gojet as a last ditch liquidity move for gojet’s survival and then leased the same airframes back to them. In such a desperate time I can only imagine what the terms of that deal were.
>>
>>1602518
Republic lost their Miami base
>>
>>1602533
skywest lost Atlanta, LaGuardia. They're doing better than most regional right now and they shed domiciles. Envoy lost Laguardia as well. PSA lost Knoxville and Norfolk I believe. Mesa is also experiencing some pretty big shifts in their flying though to what extend I am unsure. Point I'm making is that losing domiciles is a normal part of regional airline business maneuvering and generally isn't a good way to judge the financial health of an airline.
>>
>>1602689
PSA and Envoy are picking up JetBlue flying. And they are already set to cover a huge portion of AA domestic routes this spring
>>
>>1602700
PDT as well. We're going a lot of new places
>>
>>1602365
>>1602518
Air Wisconsin is done. Company just sent out an email to employees today saying with MKE announced to be closing. That they will be forced to do permanent lay offs.
>>
>>1602700
Point wasn’t who was doing well or poorly just that solely domicile closures are not representative of the health of a regional.
>>
Meigs field, winter 2021. RIP
>>
>>1603272
get a cub with snow skis and re-live our ms flight sim memories
>>
>>1599079
Yeah, an exception to the rule doesn’t change the rule. No one should defend a flow that takes 12-17 years in its current state, and AA has the least cohesive pilot group in the US. I’m surprised they didn’t go under last year, maybe they still will.
>>
>>1603886
>No one should defend a flow that takes 12-17 years in its current state
the people who have already ridden that flow to its end will ALWAYS defend it, because people for the most part hate the idea of anyone getting the same rewards as them with less effort.
>>
>>1603910
You’re 100% right, I forget some pilots would rather see the less experienced pilots suck shit for the first 5-10 years because they did it too. Back in my day-isms. If it was like the old days and we all had to teach for a few thousand hours, fly canceled checks for a few years, and find a twin turbine gig for a few years to then fall to the bottom of a regional seniority list, then after 4-8 years make Captain and hold out for a call from a legacy, why would anyone want to do that in todays day and age? If I should flow to an important airline job quickly, I’d hope my fellow pilots felt good for me, as opposed to resent me for bypassing the bullshit they dealt with. I had a buddy walk into UAL on a 737 after 18 months teaching at Luftansa in PHX, and I hear he was mostly resented, and now he’s not working, though that may have changed.
>>
What do y’all think about automation in the aviation industry? I only fly planes with no automation so I don’t know much about it. Are pilots in 10-20 years flying commercial jets not gonna be flying anything but working the autopilot equipment?
>>
>>1604338
No. If anything, airlines are rediscovering the value of stick and rudder skills and actively encourage their pilots to hand fly.
>>
>>1604338
Pilots have been using all automation for decades already. I don’t know who you’re flying for, but once you hit a jet that isn’t a basic bitch citation, you’ll usually have a FMS with LNAV and VNAV. with a 3/4 axis autopilot, pitch, roll and auto throttles with a yaw damper. The role of such a pilot is taxi, takeoff and landing, with the explicit role to solve abnormals and emergencies, which on a pax jet is usually dealing with retards in the back. The only thing keeping us employed is that robots can’t yet taxi, and most computers aren’t certified for takeoffs yet. Full autopilot landings have already been legal for decades (ILS Cat IIIC).
>>
>>1604706
Actually a correction, after looking at ILS Cat IIIC approaches, i see that while they can exist, they aren’t implemented yet. I’m thinking of IIIA or IIIB, which is still full autopilot landing in effect.
>>
>>1604706
>a basic bitch cutation
oh excuse me mr woke man, what is a respectable jet for you then?
>>
>>1604733
Its a comment on the usual avionics in it, i don’t know any citation operations that have super nice avionics, most i see have simple Garmin stacks at most. Relax nigga.
>>
>>1604733
Anything with a Collins Pro Line 21
>>
>>1604760
Dangerously based
>>
gonna fly my first Cessna a week from now
been training on a Sportscruiser hope it's not too different
>>
any home/kit builders in here?
>>
>>1604706
CRJ crews reading this like l o l. Also all of the automation you're referencing has to be operated by competent crews with at least some in depth knowledge on the logic behind the automation.
>>
Does Riddle (DAB) have no more Flight students? Absolutely perfect weather today and it’s the beginning of the semester and only 2 flights went out this morning. Pre-virus, there would be dozen and dozens of flights out at a time
>>
>>1605289
Yeah, you’re not proving I’m wrong, you’re just saying that the CRJ is shit, what an unpopular opinion amirite?
>>
>>1605446
you are wrong, anyone who actually works with machines knows theres a frontier of applicability for automation that's pretty far off in the distance
>>
>>1599475
>early start and end times
>being in bad weather
Those kind of suck but every day can't be like that. It sure sounds a hell of a lot better than grinding in a hellish corporate environment.
>>
>>1594025
Get an aero L29, subsonex or fouga magister instead. Old cheap business jets likely need $200k+ engine overhauls, equally expensive electronics upgrades and god knows what else. The aero and fouga are old jet trainers so theyre quite simple, easy to fly and are experimentals so you have more freedom and wont have to worry about keeping it in compliance with modern standards. They cost like $50k but burn 200 gallons of jet fuel per hour which means youll pay about $300 per hour for the gas. The subsonex is a $100k kit plane and you have even less restrictions because of that. The maintenance and fuel costs are quite low since the engines no bigger than a football
>>
>>1606102
>burn 200 gallons of jet fuel per hour which means youll pay about $300 per hour for the gas

Are you actually this stupid

>maintenance and fuel costs are quite low since the engines no bigger than a football

Yep
>>
>>1605446
>>1605580
What this guy said eloquently is what I was saying as well.
>>
Please for the love of God where can I get a CFI job
>>
>>1606227
Not in Florida. Schools there won’t be hiring for at least another year. Embry Riddle in Daytona Beach had record low new student enrollment for their pilot program this past semester
>>
>>1606237
I've applied all over the country, it's like that all around sadly
>>
>>1606227
Same. I got my CFI at the worst possible time, days before covid shutdowns, and haven't been able to find a position since. Shit sucks. Some schools near me even have offers open but they never respond to me and never fill Probably just seeing how many CFIs they can get when they need them later.
>>
>>1606262
>>1606263
You guys are going to have to wait, unfortunately..

Stay current and just get another job somewhere to pay back your debt/loans while you wait.
>>
>>1606263
>>1606262
>>1606227
F
>>
>>1606267
That's the plan, flying out of a small airport in a 172M to keep up my currency. At least I get to take more of my friends flying now.
>>
>>1606271
You could also volunteer for Pilot N Paws. You could write off a lot of the flight costs on your taxes, it’ll get you hours, and you can put it down on your resume as volunteer experience
>>
>>1606272
That's a solid idea, may ask the company I'm renting from if they're ok with it.
>>
>>1606237
I've applied all over the country, it's like that all around sadly

>>1606267
Can't even stay current, all the rentals around me closed down
>>
>>1606277
Well, I don’t see why the would care if you’re renting their airplanes
>>
>>1606289
Ehh, gotta make sure. Might not want animals in their planes smelling them up.
>>
>>1606296
there's also the spread of allergens to consider.
>>
File: 1551044490443.jpg (322 KB, 1920x1080)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
so what are you guys doing for money?
>>
>>1606832
Holding Dogecoin
>>
>>1606882
This. Also AMC
>>
>>1606138
Jet fuel is half the price of pump gas
>>
>>1607068
Jet A is $4-5/gal, and that’s an average from several airports I’ve looked at from around the country.
>>
>>1607072
Only $2.99 near me
>>
>>1607072
pro tip: if you're buying jet-a from a large airport when you have other options available you're a retard

Jet maintenance will put you in the poorhouse though no matter what engine. Also good luck finding a nearby A&P who will touch your obscure cold war era jet trainer at any reasonable cost. There's a reason most guys who fly warbird jets just so happen to be milli/billionaires.

the subsonex might be a good option though if you just want to go fast
>>
>>1607348
even at $2.99/gal that's still twice the hourly cost originally quoted.
>>
>>1607348
A new engine for it is like $14k. Theres loads of cheap parts
>>
>>1605292
We're full up and running.
>>
>>1606832
Mooching off unemployment ever since the trophy shop I worked at closed down.
>>
>>1607622
How are you up and running when there are not nearly as many flights out as 2019? You all had like 4 planes out at noon today
>>
Does glider skill transfer to fixed wing at all? Going to have a long wait until I go to UPT, I miss flying and glider time seems very cost effective. I've already soloed in a cessna but it's been a while.
>>
>>1608269
Absolutely; both stick and rudder skills as well as energy management skills are highly transferable.
>>
>>1608313
Great, thanks for helping me justify my future spending on it, hah.
>>
File: 2.png (129 KB, 640x375)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
Before the pandemic, JAL, ANA and foreign carriers were planning to shift many of their longhaul routes from Narita to Haneda. Not just to the US and Europe, but also MEL, SVO and DEL. Plus ANA's ambitious expansion out of HND (DME, IST, TAO). On top of this, Ethiopia had requested a HND slot to replace ADD-ICN-NRT, and Turkish was planning a 4/week summer IST-HND.

With all this in mind, what exactly is the point of Narita now? [Serious.]

At this rate, it's going to become the next Gatwick.
>>
>>1608389
Oh yeah, SVO is part of Europe. Whoops. Should have said western Europe
>>
Wtf does this guy do for living
>>
>>1608496
>Sam Chui is a popular aviation blogger and video content creator based in Dubai who runs his own self titled channel. He has an estimated net worth of $1.5 million. He enjoys anything related to aviation and travel. He is also fascinated with airplanes stemmed from visiting Kai Taka airport as a teenager. He has traveled to over 100 countries and has done many reviews. His videos are mainly about him documenting his experiences as he tries out different airlines.
>>
>>1593760
For a new fag, what's a good PC simulation? Any torrents?
>>
>>1608608
ok but what does he do for a living
>>
>>1608882
advertises stuff that most people will never be able to afford
>>
>>1608496
you're literally looking at it
>>
>>1608496
Make videos that are just more than 10 minutes long to milk ad money from viewers.
>>
With major airlines reducing fleet size... plan on being regional lifers, boys.
>>
>>1609800
This really is the death knell of commercial aviation, isn't it?
>>
>>1609809
my professors keep saying its the best time to study and get into aviation, pilot or otherwise
I just don't see it, no matter what steps we take for dealing with the "virus" the industry will be affected long term
>>
>>1609813
>my professors keep saying
Is your professor a boomer?
>>
>>1609813
>it’s the best time to study aviation
That exact phrase has been said every year since 1990. I’m not joking.
>>
File: 0.jpg (12 KB, 500x375)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1609815
they are all old fucks
its my last semester anyway so ill take my AS in aviation admin and move on somewhere else
>>1609820
I believe you
>>
>>1609822
I’m guessing you’re at Riddle?
>>
>>1609825
won't dox myself but south florida is correct. started as a pilot then saw the p141 costs so I changed course of study and started p61 training
then the pandemic hit
>>
>>1609827
We’re boned. Try to finish your BA in something more reliable
>>
>>1609829
thinking of maybe finance or engineering
to satisfy my love for aviation I'm thinking of going af res
if this shit picks up again I'll just finish up training and try to get in the next wave of pilot shortage kek
>>
Well, just got a bid to another aircraft type at work. New type rating on the way for when it all opens up and I can move up to the next industry rung. It may not be helpful to all of you, but if you can take on additional duties, get a new rating, or otherwise stand out from the crowd you’ll be helping yourself for if and when everything starts to open up. Believe me, you’ll want to be among the first in line to a class date, and not be swimming in a pool for months or years. If you don’t progress, you will stagnate, grow wherever you are if you can manage to.
>>
>>1609977
What's the new type?
>>
>>1610346
Its a Metro, makes all the old freight pilots scream with nostalgic terror. But a new type rating on my cert stays for life and it’s something I can show off anywhere I go.
>>
Is flying just white collar trucking?
>>
>>1610376
Ah yes, the good old San Antonio Sewer Pipe. My dad flew passengers in those. They didn't realize the thing didn't have a lav, so people would just piss right in their seats. Lovely.
>>
>>1610395
No. If you fuck up in a white collar environment you get a promotion, if you fuck up in flying you get fired or dead.
>>
File: Aerion_AS2_7_HR.jpg (139 KB, 800x533)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
Honestly I have mixed feelings about Aerion's AS2 project.

I'm stoked that such an ambitious aerospace project manage to survive the pandemic, but at the same time since the target market is wall street fattasses and robber barons that just goes to show how the system is rigged in their favor.
>>
>>1610398
You fuck up bad enough with any job you get fired.
>>
>>1610396
Sounds like a third world country you live in.
>>
8 hours into my PPL.
>Slow flight
>Stalls
>Ground reference
>pattern work
Thinking this is the weekend for the solo. Still need to do some emergency procedure drills and work on rounding out and flaring but I'm feeling pretty good about things.
>>
>>1609800
Nah. Still a lot of retirements on the horizon so if you can harden up those butterballs of yours and grind it out for a few years you can find yourself first in line for when hiring starts again. Yes it’s a long downturn, yes fleets are rebalancing across the board not just at the mainline shops. Yes it sucks. But it will not stay that way forever.
>>
>>1610477
COVID is going away?
>>
>>1609833
>AF Res
hope you enjoy never ever doing your job and just being a body to use
>>
>>1609800
>>1610477
i heard there might be another shortage or some shit in the mid-late 2020s
>>
>>1610815
Not anymore. Covid pushed it back about 10 years, and also lightened it
>>
>>1610815
Always be careful with the word shortage, its a very loaded term and its all about advertising to you, the guy willing to drop tens of thousands on training so you can get in line for the pilot job. Its all an ad, don’t pedal it, especially to your fellow pilot. A better way to phrase it would be like, pilots in demand, buyers market, etc. The shortage is just a myth, its a matter of pilots not willing to work to the bone or pay for their own training to only make $20/hr at a 50 hour monthly guarantee anymore, lets keep it that way. Even now I don’t see pilots running to the scum suckers to make peanuts, it isn’t worth it anymore.
>>
Honest question for /GAG/: How do you learn to fly a jet? I've been reading what I can find online about the subject and I can't figure it out. It seems like every flight school (including big commercial pilot programs) just stick you in a C172 for 250 hours and by the end of it your a fucking pilot and that's it. I've seen some places that advertise learning how to fly a specific jet aircraft like these guys

http://www.oneaviation.aero/eclipse/training.php

but it doesn't seem like they are advertising to guys with a PPL that just want to go faster. I'm assuming they are for getting experienced commercial pilots certified on a new aircraft. How tf do people learn how to fly jets?

>t. not a pilot, obviously
>>
>>1610958
You usually get type rated in it. Go off to Flight Safety or another training program for a few weeks. Flying jets is easier, you should already have the stick and rudder skills developed over the first 250 hours so everything becomes more systems management and staying ahead of the plane in IFR. Which is stressed in training in a single engine but nothing really compares to the first few flights you do in a jet, everything is just moving 10x the speed so you MUST be ahead of the plane.

Since you can already fly a few GA planes, the transition is relatively easy. Again, you spend weeks just focusing on one plane and several hours in the full motion simulator before going into the real thing. Type ratings vary in cost, usually around $10k-15k but when you get hired at a company they will pay for it.
>>
>>1610958
For aircraft above a certain weight class a type rating is required. Schools provide the training for initial certification and additional ratings (multi engine, instrument, instructor), but type ratings are typically facilitated by the company you get hired by after you get the applicable ratings. They can be very expensive depending on the aircraft, and can be obtained privately, but most are done through initial or upgrade training within a company.
>>
>>1610971
>For aircraft above a certain weight class a type rating is required.
Not quite:
>The requirement for a type rating is limited to large (greater than 12,500 lbs MGTOW) and turbojet-powered aircraft. However, certain small and piston-powered aircraft have characteristics that require additional training for safe operation. For example, 14 CFR 61.69 specifies training and experience required for towing a glider. Specific aircraft training requirements are outlined in 14 CFR 61.31, and instructor endorsements that attest to the satisfactory completion of this training are the mechanism used to confer the necessary operating privilege. Endorsements related to aircraft characteristics include those for complex, high performance, high altitude, tailwheel, and glider ground operations. In addition, 14 CFR 61.31(h) provides for "additional aircraft type-specific training" in those cases where the Administrator has determined that such training is required.
https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/alc/libview_normal.aspx?id=6577
>>
>>1610969
>>1610971
Thanks for the replies pilot bros. Sounds like you either need to get hired by someone or have more money than you know what to do with. I'd like to fly jets some day but I've got some work to do.
>>
Is 20/40 vision good enough for a first class medical? Or do I have to get them corrected before I go out and get it?
>>
>>1610978
A generic question warrants a generic answer, I know there are exceptions to the rule
>>
>>1611075
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/standards/
>>
>>1610581
The world isn’t going to remain in its steady state shitshow that’s for sure. Who knows how fast or slow the recovery might be or what sort of bankruptcies we might see. All I know is that covid isn’t the end of the world just a major historical event in the one we’re already in.
>>
>>1611075
as long as your vision can be properly corrected by glasses you're fine
>>
>>1611494
I've been wondering recently, if you have gained a class 1 medical and are flying 121, are you required to keep your vision correction on for the duration of the flight? I'm guessing yes, but if you have 20/40, have crewmembers just said "fuck it" and flown sans vision correction?
>>
>>1611555
No crewmember has to my knowledge ever knowingly violated either an SOP or FOM or its equivalent at any airline.
>>
File: images (72).jpg (37 KB, 900x336)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
Have you taken the canard pill yet?
>>
Im more than halfway through finishing a degree in aviation. I have the option to take a few business classes in place of some aviation courses. Would that benefit me in any way?
>>
>>1611799
Broader horizons are always good if you actually want to learn something outside the scope of aviation but in terms of transcripts and future opportunities resulting from just the classes its mostly a moot point.
>>
>>1611815
Really? Why is that? Can’t I learn something in these classes that could be relevant for a job?
>>
>>1593760
Saw a jet take off from a corona closed airport today. Is there some way of identifying that plane. All I know is the airport and the approximate time.
>>
>>1611882
What do you mean “corona closed”?
>>
>>1611893
no normal passenger operations
>>
>>1611906
You do realize that although scheduled airline ops have taken a dive private and charter ops have been going strong, if not growing in the past year? Check https://flightaware.com/
>>
>>1611826
Sure you could learn something, but nobody will take you seriously if your only experience is a couple of classes on your transcript. I'd use it as a way to broaden your horizons so that when, in your degree-related job, you can take advantage of an opportunity when it arises.
>>
>>1611684
I'm keeping my eye out for a Long-/Vari-Ez to spend my Dogecoins on once I finish my private.
>>
>>1611906
I've never heard of an airport shutting down for more than a few hours due to covid.
>>
Those who fly for a living, does it take the fun out of GA aviation on your own time?
>>
>>1611959
>GA aviation
I am retard
>>
>>1611959
CFI flying an average of 60-80 hours a month, any time I can get out in a plane alone or with a friend/other instructor is still very enjoyable. There's a huge difference in flying for fun vs flying for work.
>>
>>1611959
Not really. It’s a different experience going up on your own time and having fun versus instructing. Unless you have to demonstrate something or intervene for some reason the instructor shouldn’t be on the controls, so I really don’t get to do much of the flying. That being said I had a rare flight the other day with a student that was genuinely fun and I had a pretty good time.
>>
The eboy of aviation blesses this thread. May career progression come to you all
>>
>>1612167
He’s back :DD
>>
>>1612167
BACON!
>>
Interesting, UA1832 is squawking 7700, flight from Cancun to Houston. Ted Cruz flew back to the USA on another flight that had been designated as UA1832 a few days ago.
Plane was steadily descending at about 1200ft/min before it couldn't be tracked by radar (cuz it's out in the Gulf of Mexico). If it's diverting back to Cancun then it hasn't appeared yet. Maybe they could've fixed the problem on the way and we just don't know because we don't have an ADS-B update.
>>
>>1612411
1200ft/min seems to be a descent rate for an aircraft without engines. Not sure what's up with them, I guess we'll find out either by new ADS-B or by breaking news.
>>
UA1832 has diverted to New Orleans.
Apparently one engine is out AND they have flap deployment issues. Currently circling west of the airport at 1500ft.
Also there's another plane in Belgium with an engine out too.
>>
Is flying with ADHD easier than driving a car?

I have ADD and I absolutely suck at driving, there's just too many variables to control. I want to become a private pilot guys, is it easy to fly an aircraft if you have ADD? Are autistic people allowed to become pilots?

Can I get a license?
>>
>>1612458
Yeah bro. Just don't disclose that you have it or were prescribed legal meth in the past to your AME. It also helps being on the spectrum and had an obsession with aircraft since as long as you can remember since that masks any symptoms of ADD/ADHD while in the cockpit because you are so focused on enjoying the piloting experience and all the attention to the aircraft at the moment.

t. autist with ADD at a 141 school.
>>
>>1612458
ADD isn’t a handicap if the subject is something you’re interested in
>>
>>1603357
that control tower would make a cool house.
>>
>>1610978
>mgtow
>>
>Bikefags not allowed
foundationed, they are the shitters of this board
>>
>>1612437
Bad day for UA engines I guess?
>>
Why do I feel like theres no one here with a ppl or atleast a national license for some random category but just flight sim fags.....
>>
>>1612921
Because you’re a flight sim fag
>>
>>1612921
Speak for yourself
>>
>>1612955
Do you get health insurance and other benefits at Riddle?
>>
>>1612956
Yes
>>
>>1612921
I’m the best pilot in this thread
>>
>>1613032
no i am
>>
File: 20210222_050257.jpg (1.62 MB, 2752x4356)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
>>1612955
Cause you know an image from google will show us
>>
>>1613067
Whatchu wanna see boi, I got plenty of pictures from work.
>>
File: IMG_9758.png (741 KB, 750x1000)
741 KB
741 KB PNG
>>1613067
shitty troll is shitty
>>
>>1613121
Cessna pilot calls someone shitty? Lmao thats rich. The guy that flies anplane that almost flies itself and requires Zero skill calls someone else shitty
>>
>>1613111
UwU im a big sucker for avionics since i cant afford them andni probably seen similar sights of what you have
>>
Im the pilot with the best income in this thread. Stick and rudder fags btfo.
>>
>>1612921
I'm a cooperate/charter pilot
>>
File: 4jgrco.jpg (58 KB, 586x426)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>1613385
You think anyone gives a fuck about your CL-65 type and 1900 hours? kys
>>
>>1612464
Enjoy getting that $250,000 fine and certificate action when they find out.
>>
File: 20170525_113659.jpg (769 KB, 1836x3264)
769 KB
769 KB JPG
>>1613111
Not that guy but do you have any pictures on top of an overcast layer? Only did it myself once in training a few years ago but was one of the coolest memories I have of flying so far.
>>
>>1613518
I doubt they'll find out. There are more pressing issues for fed investigators to deal with
>>
>>1613528
Surprisingly no, but I do have a descent into SoCal during this last fire season when they had some awful smoke. It got worse as we went in, hanging around 2-3sm visibility, dropping to 1/4sm the next morning. I have another picture cruising on top the next day but just noticed it’s quite blurry
>>
>>1613408
Damn you’re mad, and wrong on both counts. I’m not saying I make alot, I’m saying you all don’t make shit.
>>
>>1613566
Not him, but I’ll take tips and donations any day of the week lol
>>
>>1613565
Nice pic. Fortunately don't have to deal with fires in Chicago. I imagine the smoke flows with the wind and is very unpredictable?
>>
>>1613573
Well if you know where the wind’s blowing you know where the smoke’s going. In that instance, it was mainly trapped west of the higher terrain east of the Los Angeles area, improving around Palm Springs. The visibility around smoke also depends on vertical mixing; if it’s stable and smooth out the visibility will drop, whereas if the atmosphere is unstable it will mix vertically and improve lateral visibility, to a point. That was a smooth flight, and a very clear layer of smoke existed on the way.
>>
I have a dumb question, /gag/. Is it possible to essentially "pop-start" a jet engine mid-flight? For example, if for some reason an engine flamed out mid-flight, could the air passing around the aircraft be used to spin up the turbine to re-start the engine? Yes it's a dumb question, but I'm just curious.
>>
>>1613598
Yes, it’s called a windmilling restart
>>
>>1613600
Thank you.
>>
>>1613565
>got thousands of pics boi
If you got thousands how come you cant post pic with avionics but you can post one flying your plastic in vmc most of us seen a million times specially those of is flying in mountainous areas?
>>
>>1613651
Anything specific you wanna see with them? It’s a G1000 NXi
>>
File: Anko_Blushing_4.png (950 KB, 1440x1080)
950 KB
950 KB PNG
>>1613717
Beautiful. Nothing in particular...just love them so much but I can't afford them and I'm stuck with xcsoar
>>
i got accepted into riddle, the general consensus is it isnt worth it. Is this really the case?? ive been wanting to go there since i was like 9 is it actually terrible?
>>
>>1613775
FWIW I have never been there nor do I know anyone that did attend, but the impression I get is it's not worth the exorbitant costs. The only pro I can really think of is fleet availability. Meanwhile you could save a ton of money by going to a normal college and training at a part 61 on the side, or even finding a local college with a flight program but those are usually contracted from existing schools and marked up (at least in my experience). Not to mention its ill advisable to get an aviation degree.
I've also heard riddle grads are generally full of themselves, but again its not anything I've seen first hand.
>>
>>1613775
You can do them individually and build up hours on your own or a rented plane. Yes it really isn't worth it.
>>
>>1613775
Which one?
>>
>>1613775
Unless it’s actually an Ivy league or some shit, colleges accept anyone, you’re just a customer paying fees to them. I graduated from a big name aviation college, and trust me, no one likes riddle chodes. There are alot of aviation schools that are also state schools with normal college tuition. You need to have a bachelors degree in this industry, but it doesn’t matter what its in. Having a degree from a major aviation school will help with peer networking and opportunities later, trust me on that. Any school that offers a R-ATP eligible degree is sufficient. Otherwise do school and flying separate.
>>
>>1613792
daytona, pilot program
>>
>>1613805
Prescott > Daytona

Choose neither
>>
>>1613775
Why would you spend $150k on that.. especially during a time like right now. When you graduate in 4 years, things won’t be back to how they were in 2019 where bonuses were everywhere
>>
>>1613775
What does riddle have that you can't get somewhere else for a fraction of the price?
>>
>>1613805
Don’t have the first clue what that campus or their program is like. I’m only familiar with the Prescott campus, which is functionally independent from Daytona.

>>1613795
>no one likes riddle chodes
I do my best to turn them out alright. The small minority of arrogant and annoying graduates are usually the ones that struggle the most.
>>
>>1613987
Why should anyone take out the loan to go to Riddle right now, when they could get a degree and all their ratings for 3/4 the price. Especially when there won’t be jobs waiting for them once they graduate
>>
>>1613993
I’m not going to convince anyone to come here, and it’s absolutely pricey. Their career choice is their own; my job is to train them, not play high school career counselor. That being said, I do think the quality of pilot we turn out on average from the Prescott campus is significantly higher than the quality turned out from other flight schools, even Daytona in my opinion. I’ve seen external CFII hires/applicants that couldn’t pass a commercial or instrument ride from other schools in the Phoenix area, perhaps the worst being ATP. You could absolutely get your ratings and a bachelor’s degree in something else for half the cost elsewhere, but I think that comes at a price in quality of training. Honestly this place isn’t for everyone, but I’ve worked with some really excellent people who have passed through here.
>>
>>1614023
Are you able to fly to any airport you want or are you only allowed to fly to approved airports?
>>
>>1614034
It's a 141 school, so there's an approved airports list. It's a very extensive list though, usually not an issue.
>>
There's bigger schools with better industry rep the embry riddle, University of North Dakota is the biggest in the country and IMO the only real detractor is swaggot the faggot being an alum.
>>
>>1614034
There is a list of approved airports, but authorization can be pretty easily obtained to branch out and go somewhere else. It’s mostly a “who accepts the company fuel cards” game.
>>
>>1614034
Depending on where you live and the plane
>>
File: 1607549929311.jpg (44 KB, 1024x558)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>want to be an airline pilot
>but also want to live in maine
>>
>>1614114
I live in the PNW and know people who commute to ATL and FLL. Not that commuting is fun to do but its definitely doable.
>>
>>1614116
i'll be willing to commute as a regional airline pilot, but if/when i get into a major airline i think it would be best to move to the base
>>
File: 1608699696298.png (270 KB, 1632x1042)
270 KB
270 KB PNG
>>1614117
just bee urself
>>
>>1614117
This is backwards lol. At the regionals you’ll find yourself commuting more often to a shittier schedule than a mainline pilot does.
>>
>>1613566
And im saying you're not special by making a living wage in aviation.
>>
>>1614316
yes i know a low seniority first officer at a regional has a poop shit schedule but i just think it would be better to commute through it in the interesting of saving as much money as possible

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.