[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 77 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: H763loco_1.jpg (46 KB, 800x482)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
Pocket rocket edition

Previous thread: https://archive.nyafuu.org/n/thread/1542287/
>>
Fuck yeah. Here’s my Austrains (not austrians) Freight Australia 80 class that I put lights in the other day. Does /n/ think it’s cute?
>>
Hornby are up to their old tricks again.
>>
>>1593480
OH NO NO NO NO
>>
>>1593480
Aw yeah must have dug out an old mould from the old Lima pile.
>>
>>1593655
They're trying to one up Hattons
>>
I used to build HO kits as a kit but with everything being expensive now is there a scale that costs less than another?
>>
>>1593480

I'm new to this hobby. What's wrong with this?
>>
>>1593663
HO bring the most popular will always be the cheapest. N costs just about the same or even more at times.
>>
>>1593679
N is still slightly cheaper than HO in almost all respects except the Athearn blue box shit.
>>
>>1593663
depends what you wanna prioritize. HO gets you better detailed models at the same price, N lets you run more equipment on the same sized layout. The overall cost is about the same for both.
>>
>>1593779
>>1593679
thanks, i might stick with HO then. Had a lot of modelpower models back in the day but i dont think theyre stll around anymore.
>>
>>1593475
Yes bro, it's very cute
>>
>>1593475
awesome

now post a video of it hauling some freight
>>
I got a Märklin Starter Set for Christmas and instantly realized that i'm hooked. When i finished moving to the new flat i'll make my first 2x1,25m table. After that i want to use Z instead of H0 because i can do more on the same space.
>>
>>1593670
another company called hattons is producing an almost identical product
>>
What are some of your dream models lads? pic related for me
>>
>>1593872
I don't have a dream model in particular, but I do have a couple of dream layouts.

One would be an HO layout based Los Angeles during WWII, running from the San Pedro/Long Beach harbor up to Burbank with a focus on war-related stuff, like the North American Aviation and Lockheed factories, as well as including Union Station, City Hall and some other downtown landmarks, and the huge Southern Pacific yard that used to be between downtown and Burbank. It'd have to be a pretty massive layout, one of things that'd take up 3 whole walls of a 2-car garage or whatever.

The other would be an O gauge British layout set somewhere in the decaying industrial north in the last few years of steam, it'd probably be mostly mainline but with at least a couple of industrial branches that'd have their own locomotives. (Maybe even a separate narrow gauge line alongside the main layout?) I kind of like the idea of it being a garden railway or an indoor/outdoor layout but I'm not sure it'd be practical since I'd want it to be reasonably realistic.
>>
>>1593924
the second one is what my dream layout would probably be too
>>
>>1593924
>One would be an HO layout based Los Angeles during WWII,
You would also have the Pacific Electric and the 3’6” gauge LARy systems in their full glory
>>
>>1593872
N gauge King Class and Sterling
and N scale Rock Island 4-8-4
>>
Does anyone here have any experience with 00 scale kitbuilding? i've always been intrigued by it and want to know if there's any cheap or easy ways to get into it
>>
>>1593860

Thanks. So you're saying Hornby has a reputation for copying the commercially successful models of its competitors?
>>
>>1594042
What happened was Hattons announced their version and showed off some early samples and now Hornby has just done the same but the price is slightly cheaper. Basically they saw Hattons announcement and jumped to undercut them. We really don't know how well either version will sell yet.
>>
>>1594053
Hornby aren't producing 4-wheel southern coaches, however. I'll stick to Hatton's so I can replicate a (near) perfect cute little Isle of Wight passenger train with my Hornby terrier
>>
>>1594053

Ok thanks. Understand now
>>
>>1594074
I model oo9 but I really want to get a Terrier and have it go back and forth on a siding with some wagons. They're just too cute.
>>
>>1594085
you can literally hold a 00 model of one of them on two fingers, they're so tiny
>>
>>1593924
>an HO layout based Los Angeles during WWII
Are you me?
>>
>>1594053
>the price is slightly cheaper
i thought it was the same?
>>
On Seattle's Craigslist, someone is selling an old Lima O-scale French diesel loco. Says it's two-rail DC that can be run with any DC power set.

How hard is it to find compatible cars & track in the US? I've never even seen two-rail O-scale in a store.
>>
File: 9043031.png (228 KB, 650x229)
228 KB
228 KB PNG
Any BR bauxite lovers in? i keep ordering more and more bauxite wagons like crazy, it's just the perfect freight livery. i ordered 5 today alone
>>
File: 36866_0.png (459 KB, 1091x600)
459 KB
459 KB PNG
Fuck i love BR bauxite
>>
>>1594594
not hard to find, just relatively expensive. O is still super popular with retired boomers so most model stores stock it.
>>
>>1594074
>>1594085
>>1594086

Just bought one on the strength of these posts...

Love it! Thanks guys
>>
>>1594783
Great livery choice, i love old colourful pre-grouping schemes. Here's mine with a horribly short goods train, have been meaning to find some more SR wagons
>>
File: IMG20210109144917.jpg (3.2 MB, 4160x3120)
3.2 MB
3.2 MB JPG
>>1594783
>>1594864
For fucksake of course i forgot the image
>>
File: s-l640.jpg (59 KB, 640x634)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>1593782
ebay has a ton for cheap. I think modeltrainstuff sells it aswell. I am hunting down old Pola Model kits
>>
>>1594783
how come UK models have nice engine Interiors and us stuck in america just get a black husk it sucks
>>
>>1594898
Surely there's some american companies that produce nicely detailed steam locomotive cabs
>>
>>1594864
>>1594867

I've got the same rolling stock too!

I'm new to this but I think I'm going to base a layout on LSWR stuff. As you say, the livery is cool, but also I've lived all over the LSWR area so know it really well
>>
>>1594898
UK models never used too, it's a recent thing. Hell old models used to have the motor protruding into the cab up into the early-mid 90's.
>>
File: thomas_set.jpg (321 KB, 1200x781)
321 KB
321 KB JPG
>>1593462
Haven't done model railroading in forever, but figured some of you guys might get a kick out of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xfdJz18Kqs&t=1s
Been lurking these threads for a long time, and while /n/ isn't my homeboard, always enjoy coming here. Thanks for all the comfy posting, it's always very enjoyable.
>>
>>1595409
CORNHOLIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>1594053
From memory, they've don't it with the Terrier from Rails of Sheffield, B1 from Bachmann, large Prairie from Dapol, the 66 from Hattons again. They are being little cunts, they have the resources to make new exciting models of different stuff that would compliment other manafacturers models, but instead they have to compete directly. Rails of Sheffield have already stopped stocking them, wouldn't be surprised if Hattons followed suit after this. They need to be careful with this ratfucking, I'm glad their monopoly on the hobby seems to be coming to an end.
>>
>>1595521
WTF i hate hornby now
>>
>>1595521
and the class 91 from cavalex, they managed to get that one cancelled
>>
Are any places besides Ebay Selling the DDA40X
I'm looking to buy a couple of them and repaint them,See if i can get withering on after.
>>
>>1595409
were the original thomas models G scale?
>>
>>1596662
pretty sure it was gauge 1
>>
>>1595409
The Rev's original models are really impressive for being 50+ years old
>>
Rate my module frame.
>>
File: HO-OO-Min-RR-10-39.jpg (239 KB, 944x357)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>1594898
American HO is a smaller scale than British OO. It doesn't sound like a lot on paper but when you see them side by side it's more substantial than you'd expect. The locos generally end up around the same overall size because British prototypes are smaller but details like cab controls are quite a bit bigger and therefore easier to do on OO.
>>
>>1594673
Stupid greenhorn question:
What cart is it and what for it was used? Looks... well, atypical, to put it mildly
>>
>>1597798
thanks for this comparison image, not him but i already understand how the size different works but this is a good picture to easily visualise it with
>>
>>1597834
It's a brake van, pretty much just the british word for caboose. this particular one was typical of the great western railway and the western region of British Rail
>>
>>1597739
Is this for a particular standard? Looks lightweight but sturdy, good for carrying around to meets
>>
>>1597917
Fremo H0m. It's going to be japanese-themed though.
>>
>>1598066
Is it laser cut plywood? I do TTrak which is 1/4” plywood boxes, some I cut myself on a table saw and some laser cut kits.
>>
>>1598086
It is. I designed it myself using Inkscape.
>>
>>1598326
Are you UK based?
>>
File: R3201_1504378_Qty1_1.jpg (29 KB, 800x362)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Fuckkkkk lads i would trade my left nut for a model of sir nigel gresley in express blue FUCKKK
>>
>>1593475
oh
she cute
>>
>>1598429
Nope. Poland.
>>
File: BAC32-441_1520x700.jpg (142 KB, 1520x700)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
anyone know if this bad boy's any good? (bachmann's new class 24/1)

very tempted to snag one (for 280 AUD) since my collection is rather lacking when it comes to british diesels
>>
>>1593462
leisure for the rich
>>
>>1598569
then scratchbuild one nerd
>>
>>1598957
All leisure is for the rich.
>>
can anyone tell me whats a good way to weather rollingstock and locos. I am just starting out. i have some coal cars that have the same serial number and was thinking on weathering them to conceal it.
>>
>>1599008
It's not very difficult to renumber cars. Theoretically areas with car numbers would occasionally get wiped off with a rag if a conductor needs to see it.
>>
>>1598965
it would end up looking like a doorstop on wheels that's been spray-painted blue if i ever tried to lol, would rather just wait and see if i can come across one at a decent price
>>
>>1598982
I would say differently. All kind of leisure is not for the poor who happens to also have leisure. Just not the same, and especially the cheaper ones.
>>
>>1598957
only if you buy the expensive ones
>>
File: Karl-Marx-1870.jpg (316 KB, 994x1600)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
>>1599120
>I would say differently.
>>
>>1598957
Not if you buy 2nd hand/ kit build
>>
File: 1.jpg (645 KB, 1573x746)
645 KB
645 KB JPG
>>1598957
>Im fucking plying I'm rich

Gotta have your nose to the ground for cheap deals, dumbass. And friends to help you search.

A guy I know sold me a whole fucking piggyback trailer train for $200. I sold a bunch of the higher-end stuff which didn't fit my era, and made the lot pay for itself.
>>
>>1599008
>coal cars
Just paint an appropriately colored patch over the old numbers and put on the numbers you want. It will just be a patched rail car and they're ubiquitous
>>
I'm looking to get into this hobby as I'm buying a house this year and want to setup one of the bedrooms as a home office with an integrated train setup.

I have a vision of a scenic passenger train moving through a fictional mountain track inspired by the appalachian mountains I enjoyed hiking through when I was younger. I want to have a trestle bridge, a tunnel or two, and either thick woods on a misty day or a crisp early/mid autumn scene with rich foliage colors. Lots of water and mountain landscape and sparse buildings and people.

I am very new to trains but I like the aesthetic of older passenger trains however I think most of the engines I like are british. I was looking at late American steam engines like the Rivarossi Blue Ridge, but I think I want something even older and more modest. Just an engine/tender, a handful of passenger cars, and a nice caboose.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would I be better off with H0 or N scale? What are some good brands for trains, tracks, and scenery particularly trestles, tunnels, and foliage? I plan to buy most things over the course of a few years but what would I expect to put into a setup?

Lastly I used to look at pictures in old magazines when I was a kid. I can't remember which ones they were but I am having a hard time finding setups in the setting I want in general. Are there any notable names in the hobby that do very landscape/passenger focused displays? I am not really interested in point-to-point freight setups or town/city scenes. Thank you all.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (51 KB, 512x212)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>1601486
would passenger trains even run with cabooses on the end? sorry i don't know shit about american railroads but you might assume that they would also make use of brake coaches instead of cabooses
>>
This shapeways model utilizes the pocket rocket chassis. I've painted one for me self in Furness Railway Indian Red
>>
>>1601491
historically no
not brake coaches that I'm aware of either
cabooses are fairly popular on modern tourist trains though because people like them
>>
>>1598957
>1 Post by this ID
pottery
>>
>>1599008
You can do either this>>1599509 or you can take 91% isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swap and carefully scrub off the number(s) you want to change and add a new decal in it's place and then weather if you want. Easily done in HO, more difficult in N.
>>
>>1601486
N doesn't have quite as much options as HO, but more than makes up for it in train length if your space to work with is small. If are doing this from a more casual aspect instead of a specific railroad or date frame that hardcore modelers do, then I'd say N would be the way to go for pure entertainment and the amount trains you could run at the same time in your small(ish) space.

I'm a Nigger myself, so Kato is the best brand for snap track and reliably running locomotives, with Atlas being a close second for reliability. Intermountain locomotives are decent, but I've been seeing many recent posts on train forums about their locos suffering from "zinc pest", whereby the frame halves start expanding and cracking and eventually returning to dust from zinc oxidation.

Also, Kato are the main passenger train maker for N scale, followed by Rapido and Intermountain.

www.katousa.com
https://shop.atlasrr.com
>>
>>1601486
>>1601576
I would also recommend N scale if your goal is passenger trains cruising through mountain scenery. You can get a lot more railroad in your given space and also have the wider curves that look better for long passenger cars.
A lot of people dis Bachmann but their Spectrum line has some quality American outline steamers. See what you can find for N & W, C & O, Southern and other lines that ran through that region. If you freight, coal was a major thing.
You had better start making trees now if you’re doing eastern mountain scenery. There’s some good tricks to make a hardwood forest canopy without all individual trees. I can’t think of any examples but there are some nice layouts with your theme in magazines and online. Good luck and keep posting.
>>
>>1601584
kys
>>1601581
Forgot about Bachmann. Yes, their steamers are top notch. MRC/Model Power can be decent as well. Also, Vox Valley Models if that guy wants a Hiawatha steamer.
>>
>>1601581
>>1601594
just be warned, if any of your Bachmann stuff breaks you're shit out of luck
their approach to spare parts is "anything we have left over from manufacturing until that runs out"
>>
File: images (13).jpg (9 KB, 361x140)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>1601491
19th century American mixed passenger/frieght trains sometimes had cabooses. I the 20th century either a standard coach or observation coach would bring up the rear. The closest thing to a UK break coach would be a combine car.
>>
>>1601491
Main line passenger trains? No.

Local trains on small branch lines and small railroads? Maybe. Cabooses were generally shit to ride in until later years so if there was a local train that moved both freight and passenger cars, the crew would just ride in the coach or combine which would often be mostly empty anyway.

There's kind of one exception. Though not really a passenger train, the PRR used express-equipped cabooses/cabin cars on some of it's express trains. These were consists of express boxcars, express reefers, and baggage cars. Basically mail trains, but the railroads treated them as passenger trains.
>>
>>1601576
>>1601581
So I looked in some of the stuff I had in storage from my Dad and had some locomotives and rolling stock. I haven't had a ton of time to go through the non-locomotives, but these are some things I've come across so far.

These are all HO scale as far as I can tell.

IHC 2-8-0 Consolidation-Premier Chesapeake & Ohio

Rivarossi 0-8-0 (Don't know the exact loco name) 102 Indiana Harbor Belt livery

I can't see the brand on this one but it's a "3" Ely Thomas Lumber Co. engine and it looks like it has a flatbed with wood and a crane that might be related? I think this is known as a "shay."

There was also a Diesel I didn't bother to look up since I am much more interested in steam at the moment. I think my theme will be a semi-fictional C&O and N&W rivalry through the Appalachain corridor. I also have a trestle bridge which is great.
>>
>>1602037
the Rivarossi 0-8-0 looks neat. There is a similar looking locomotive in Sandon BC, that I think was part of the Kaslo and Slocan Railway
>>
hey anons, what do yous use for skyboxes? paint them yourselves, or does anyone know where to get very high-res photos for a skybox?
>>
>>1599495
I got an estate sale Lionel Mikado Jr in O scale for $200. Good deal
>>
File: 1.8-plastic-trestle.jpg (36 KB, 1000x1000)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>1602469
have the scenic part of my layout on a detached table so i don't need one lol
>>
File: IMG_20190131_134731.jpg (433 KB, 2688x1512)
433 KB
433 KB JPG
>>1602482
If you're going three rail O and don't mind going conventional, there's a lot of post war and MPC era stuff out there for pretty good deals. A lot of old collectors are either selling off their collections as they age or dying and their stuff is going in estate sales. My first Post War Hudson was $68 from an estate sale.
>>
>>1602929
I wish japanese O stuff was that cheap.
>>
>>1599204
Its all about those eBay estate sales
>>
File: 20200930_034337.jpg (2.86 MB, 4128x3096)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB JPG
>>1603153
These are the old style trains that are more toys than models. I like them though. They're big and have some weight to them and since they have cheats like flangeless center drivers, they can run on much tighter curves than the prototypes and y O u can get a lot of big trains in a small space. This is an O guage K Line Allegheny. It's 1/55 scale instead of 1/48. The center drivers on each engine are flangeless (blind) and the rear engine swivels on the model where it was fixed on the prototype so it can run on 31" diameter curves. The Ford pick is 1/48 scale for comparison.
>>
File: 00640013res.jpg (64 KB, 640x424)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>1603528
>cheats like flangeless center drivers
point of order: that's not a cheat, that's a blind driver and it can be a prototypical feature
>>
>>1603538
On a 4-6-4 it's definitely a cheat.

On a 2-10-2, it is definitely not a cheat.
>>
>ScaleTrains, the young rockstar of american model makers, announces Milwaukee Road, Soo, Wisconsin Central & Fepasa SDL39 models
OH MY FUCKING GOD MY TIME HAS COME

>ScaleTrains has also bought the MTH HO and S scale lines, which they will start producing in the next couple years with ESU guts instead of MTH DCS guts

AAAAAAAA
>>
>>1603673
>No N scale announcement
Don't care.
>>
>>1603680
N-scale gets stupid boring modern autoracks, are you happy?
>>
>>1603673
>MTH DCS is dead
took long enough
>>
>>1603673
Never heard of scale trains, are they that good, i mainly focus on kato and tomix cause im mostly in Japanese trains.
>>
>>1603688
>stupid boring modern autoracks
>are you happy?
What do you think?
>>
>>1603728
spookshow.net
>>
File: 1.jpg (373 KB, 1485x822)
373 KB
373 KB JPG
>>1603728
>are they that good
Their shit is real good, yes, but they only make American stuff.
>>
>>1603732
>What do you think?
I'm glad we have similar taste. I really don't like modern shit. Locomotives of today all look the same, as do most of the cars. Boring as hell.

I'd much rather have fun lashups like this.
>>
>>1603749
My /n/igger! Yeah, I'm an old soul in a younger man's body. I pine for the days of being an engineer on the Rio Grande, RI or MILW behind a big ol' steamer and then getting off work and driving my old 1941 Lincoln Continental into town. Sadly I have none of that. Also digging the 96/70 Charger in your photo. Looks like the bluffs near St. Paul?
>>
>>1603765
That is near St. Paul, MN yes. That car is actually that of a guy I refer to as my mentor. His photography from back in the day drives what I want to model.
>>
File: 20201013_114836.jpg (1.69 MB, 3928x2148)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
>>1603538
Fair point. I should have clarified that the prototype didn't have them.
>>
>>1603673
>Another boring SD/GP
pass
>>
File: 45663.jpg (667 KB, 2480x1641)
667 KB
667 KB JPG
>>1603961
>not liking 40 series'es
>>
>>1603961
>Boring SD/GP

Try again. It's both and neither. When you're a fucking retarded company like Milwaukee was, you want dumb shit like GP's pretending to be SD's. Indroduce, the SDL39, shorter than even a GP7, with a gross weight of 125 tons.

>But if you still think it's stupid then fuck you.
>>
>>1604192
cute!
>>
>>1604192
Not sure why they didn't just re-power their RSC-2s?
>>
>>1604192
I don't care all that shit looks the same
>>
>>1603528
I was talking about japanese O stuff for a reason. No interest in american steamers.
>>
>>1604301
>Not sure why they didn't just re-power their RSC-2s?

If you do any reading on the Milwaukee Road, you'll find that immediately after the end of WW2 the company has the recurring habit of absolutely pants-on-head retarded decisions. I'm personally convinced they ultimately failed due to active sabotage (Several of the board of execs were Hill lines employees before going to MILW), but that can't be proven of course.

I just have no other way to explain the boneheaded decisions that were made. The SDL39 was one such decision, but it created a novelty class of 10 diesel locos, of which 9 are STILL in use in Chile today.
>>
>>1604301
the SD has an extra pair of traction motors and dynamic brake MU compatibility with other EMDs, my guess is what MILW spec'd in the SDL39 was basically good dynamic brakes and a cab for as cheap as possible
>>
>>1604567
Yeah I've done a tiny bit of reading on that. Very reminiscent of the Rock Island being sabotaged by former president Downing B. Jenks when he moved to MoPac. If only a RI/MILW merger occurred, would have been the biggest threat to Hill lines and UP.
>>1604591
The only thing advantageous would have been the extra traction motors. Otherwise, the RSC-2 would have sufficed.
>dynamics
What dynamic brakes? Or are the outward appearance of the SDL39 deceiving not having the d/b blister?
>>
>>1604602
oh i'm dumb, i saw the goofy intake and thought that's where the dynamics lived
>>
File: E20AlbertonMT1970.jpg (468 KB, 1024x704)
468 KB
468 KB JPG
>>1604612
No dynamics on the SDL39. The "goofy intake" is a very canadian-esque snow shield. I really don't know why the hell Milwaukee got five SDL39's with these, as no other MILW diesel ever had them (and they were later removed).

>>1604602
>If only a RI/MILW merger occurred, would have been the biggest threat to Hill lines and UP.
Nah, the biggest threat to BN would have been MILW playing nice with the others who saw it for what it was: the biggest potential threat to BN's bottom line. Of the three Northern Transcon lines, the Milwaukee was the prime. BN's was the farthest north, making it a longer journey. Northern Pacific's paralleled Milwaukee but was the worse route with shittons of low-clearance tunnels. If MILW had kept the electrics, even as it was (without upgrading or expanding), they would have raped BN's wallet during the oil crisis. Southern Pacific wanted a partnership with MILW to fuck BN, which kind of worked (MILW fucked it up, big surprise). Southern also wanted to partner with MILW on automotive traffic, but MILW was too lazy to pursue that (would have involved & improving track in Indiana).

It's a sad story and the idea of so much cool heritage erased really pisses me off.
>>
>>1604625
iirc some japanese firm offered to buy out MILW because of their access to the port of seattle for eastbound container traffic, plus GE offered to upgrade their electrical system and bridge the lines west gap for free during the gas crisis, but MILW management refused all those offers too
>>
Are there any scales that are viable for just taking up part of a desk or use for decoration rather than a sprawling network? I don't have a lot of space.
>>
>>1604685
There’s Z scale but it’s expensive and the selection is limited. You can get a lot of N scale in a small space if you stick to shorter vintage rolling stock and locomotives or go with trolleys/trams. Kato snd Tomix make some short radius curves that will work in a small space.
>>
File: SDS-NR349-DC.jpg (77 KB, 949x325)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
Not sure if there are any other australian modelers here, but if so:

I recently added one of these bad boys to my collection, but i don't have a single piece of aussie rolling stock.
What would be some decent rolling stock that i could get to create decent-looking trains with it? not really fussed about proper scale length trains or whether it's freight or passenger or whatever
>>
>>1604737
Sounds interesting, I will have a look at both. Cost is not much of a problem for me.
>>
>>1604751
Take a look at tramways and narrow gauge gailways - that saves some space.
>>
File: IMG_20210203_203319631.jpg (1.1 MB, 1836x3264)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
First module fully operational, now it's only about decoration.
>>
>>1604825
I will, I am a sucker for light rail, metros, and commuter rail. Is anyone selling N and Z scale stuff that is New York related such as Metro North?
>>
>>1604829
Rapido for N scale Metro North. Not a huge selection. Also, Atlas and Kato may have some locos.
>>
>>1604829
Light rail, metros, and commuter rail, painted as you want it, are harder to find because manufacturers mostly cater to boomers modeling dead midwestern freight lines. I'm frankly not even sure if there's ever been a formal release of American light rail or metro trains in N scale. Every now and then they'll release something from a local commuter rail system, but most of the time you'll need to repaint existing rolling stock yourself, or 3D print a shell, paint it, and put it on a chassis. It's a lot more DIY than modeling main lines. You would have better off-the-shelf options with European and Japanese settings.
>>
Modeling public transportation is boring as shit which is why almost no one does it
>>
>>1604827
TFW want to get into HO scale modular. Have been invited to join Minnesota FreeMo, have been offered modules for sale, but have no fucking place to keep them.
>>
>>1604882
See if any members of MN FreeMo can house your modules for a fee like a storage unit, but hopefully much cheaper.
>>
>>1604740
hnnng please tell me someone makes this in N
>>
>>1604873
Thank you for the insight on that, the 3d printing and painting seems like a decent project.
>>1604870
I will have a look at them.
>>
>>1604907
Take a look at what's available on Shapeways to give yourself an idea of what kind of commuter transit models you can build.
>>
There’s a lot of N scale Japanese trams, subways, and commuter trains that don’t look that different from those in other countries. You can also use the mechanisms under 3D printed shells of your choice. Mail order places from Japan like Hobby Search have good prices.
>>
>>1605071
Plaza japan always seems to have good prices, compared to buying from ebay sellers already in america. If you plan on buying multiple things, it ca really offset the shipping cost. DC area cost me about 25 usd for 3 kato boxes to be shipped.
>>
File: claremont_ch_label_wm.jpg (168 KB, 800x732)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>1594092
>>1593924
>>1594005
brothers

although i think the redcar glory days were a few decades earlier, teens and twenties, when they serviced the ag business. also early tourism a la echo mountain
>>
I'm working on designing my own locomotive just for a fun art project. Would it make sense that you could have a non-cylindrical boiler? I'm imagining a steam locomotive with walkways on either side to get to a cab in the front similar to engines like >>1604625
>>
>>1605844
>non cylindrical boiler
Nah m8, the cylinder is probably the strongest way of obtaining a high pressure vessel.
>>
>>1605844
That's daft.
Circular shapes are the strongest and have the greatest volume:surface area ratio for a given weight.
Unless you're going for a water tube boiler, which is made of lots of smaller cylindrical tubes and can fit in smaller spaces.
>>
any hattons genesis lads here?
>>
>>1605844
> non-cylindrical boiler
Cylindrical is ideal, but an elliptical cross section could still be ok.
> I'm imagining a steam locomotive with walkways on either side to get to a cab in the front
The main trouble there is that you somehow need to put coal in the boiler -- but the driver has to talk to the guy shoveling the coal, so both have to be close to the coal storage.

Oil-fired steam locomotives did exist, but from what I could quickly find, where mostly conversions of coal-fired locomotives and the few that were designed as oil-fired still hat the cab in the back. That doesn't have to stop you
>>
>>1606038
>the few that were designed as oil-fired still hat the cab in the back
>>
>>1606038
>but the driver has to talk to the guy shoveling the coal, so both have to be close to the coal storage.
not only were cab-forwards a thing, split-cabs were too
some designs had the fireman in the back & engineer up front
camelbacks generally had the engineer to one side of the boiler halfway down the length
>>
>>1606038
Oil fired steam locomotives were fairly common in parts of the western United States. Also some larger coal fired locomotives had an auger that fueled the firebox with coal from the tender.
>>
>>1606053
>>1606057
>>1606106
Ah, that's interesting. I skimmed the German wikipedia article about the topic and looked at the pictures of those in the English article, cab-forward locos are mentioned only as a sidenote.
And I indeed glossed over the part that they were common in the western US, forgot where I'm posting here.
>>
File: file.png (519 KB, 980x553)
519 KB
519 KB PNG
>>1605844
>Would it make sense that you could have a non-cylindrical boiler?
no but i reckon theres plenty of room to have fun with it. insulation changes dimensions pretty dramatically; maybe think up other devices that stick out the side like you got on the top with steam and sand domes

i for one would like to see what youre doin
>>
>>1605844
ahh hell looks like you got your pick of the litter it seems

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_boiler_types,_by_manufacturer
>>
File: 3233012270_644391af54_b.jpg (531 KB, 2047x1157)
531 KB
531 KB JPG
>>1606038
>but the driver has to talk to the guy shoveling the coal, so both have to be close to the coal storage.

Not necessarily. A skilled fireman did and could read the road in front of the train so he was able to anticipate what the locomotive needed or did not need to keep going. Communication between the two isn't as imperative as you'd think. This falls in line with what I was taught:

>"You should be thinking ten steps ahead of where you are right now. What is the fire going to need next?"
>>
File: s-l1600.png (797 KB, 1000x800)
797 KB
797 KB PNG
thoughts on these?
>>
>>1606389
NCE is good stuff and also everything DCC is overpriced for what it is
>>
>>1606396
yep. i ordered one for 390 AUD today, wallet is in shambles but it's a good investment for me longterm
>>
>>1606389
>>1606396
>>1606398
just diy
>>
>>1606422
not arsed
>>
>>1606431
it's really not that hard
I did it because I want to be able to write my own control software, but it was essentially just plug & play
the hardest part was finding the arduino motor board in stock
>>
>>1606422
David Cutting?
>>
File: 800px-Princess_2018[1].jpg (101 KB, 800x533)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
oo9 bros, I'm torn on which George England to preorder. I was gonna go with Princess because she's painted maroon but Kato changed the release version of Prince from green to maroon so I don't know anymore. I like Princess because the real one doesn't run anymore so it's like my layout has a what-if factor to it. But Prince has that nostalgic/childhood factor for me.
>>
Gettin the deets
>>
>>1606502
fuckkk i've always wanted to get in to 009 and have it run alongside my 00 stuff but it's so fucking expensive. (i'd probably go for prince just because of the real-life modern preserved railway locomotive factor)
>>
File: Princess_1965.jpg (341 KB, 2520x1680)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
>>1606793
>i'd probably go for prince just because of the real-life modern preserved railway locomotive factor

>No 1 Princess, This locomotive was the first engine in steam on the railway, 4th August 1863. and also hauled the last slate train 1st August 1946, It now awaits restoration
>It now awaits restoration
Oh, what could have been.
>>
>>1607236
VGH...
>>
thinking about model trains
>>
File: MKT_202_Houston1952.jpg (199 KB, 1859x1094)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>1608553
daily, m8

Wanting to get back home and do some airbrushing tonight. Got pic related on my workbench
>>
>>1594036

Ebay, you can pick up a Dapol plastic steam locomotive kit for about a tenner.
>>
>>1594074
Where is this? Looks to be Northern Hampshire on the Bluebell line or the Watercress?
>>
File: Freshwater-Header.jpg (911 KB, 1900x1266)
911 KB
911 KB JPG
>>1610330
it's on the isle of wight steam railway
>>
I messed up wheelsets while converting them from H0 to H0m. Dunno which wheelsets should I buy next, 12mm gauge, 10,5mm diameter and unusual current pickup- from the tips of the axle on both sides, axle itself is insulated in the middle.

Can anyone remind me why nearly all of japanese models use improper track gauge? And those with proper gauge are extremely expensive?
>>
File: 4888168150_d16823cdf5_b.jpg (204 KB, 1024x768)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
So kind of a dumb question, but I'll ask here.

Has 3d printing gotten to a point it can make nice looking ho scale stuff yet? Nobody makes any T stuff besides some commuter rail stuff and the occasional overpriced cheap Boeing LRV. I've always wanted to do a Boston layout since it's my hometown, but lolnorollingstock.jpg
>>
>>1611878
I’ve seen some really sharp N scale streetcars that were 3D printed so HO is no problem. I’m just a consoomer and don’t have the design skills but there there’s a lot of 3D traction stuff out there.
>>
File: ho container.jpg (78 KB, 629x472)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>1611878
depends on your budget vs. how much detail you want. if all you need is athearn blue box quality, a $200 FDM printer will work fine and you could run off 10+ shells for like $20 in filament.

for OEM-quality stuff you can go with a resin printer, they start at about $500 which might still be worth it if you're gonna be making 10+ models. the quality is basically the same or better than old cast resin garage models.
>>
>>1611878
>Has 3d printing gotten to a point it can make nice looking ho scale stuff yet?
Yes. A resin printer can produce nice looking parts if you want to build your own stuff.
>>
File: 20210219_190052.jpg (3.48 MB, 4624x3468)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB JPG
What are we running today lads?
(post pics)
>>
Who else here intends to spend the entire stimulus check on model trains?
>>
>>1612336
Dapol pannier?
>>
>>1612350
The thought has crossed my mind, but a gun or vintage car is what I'll be spending on.
>>
File: 31-638_3214754_Qty1_1.jpg (192 KB, 800x533)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
>>1612419
nah, bachmann 64xx
it's nothing that special but it's got loads of character
>>
>>1612455
Looks like transport to me, faggot.
>>
>>1612472
me in front
>>
>>1612502
Aww, I thought I already called dibs. Well I get the next turn!
>>
>>1612508
no it's mine forever hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaahaha

but yeah, you got nexties
>>
>>1612502
>>1612508
>>1612509
Like any of you could fire it
>>
>>1612540
>shovel scoop of coal here and there and keep eye on bed distribution
>watch water level closely and adjust injector as needed

what else am I missing? It's not like this has all the accoutrements like a full sized water kettle
?
>>
>>1593462
not transportation.
>>>/toy/
>>
>>1612639
Fuck off, this general has been here for years.
>>
File: Ellis.gif (2.75 MB, 400x200)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB GIF
>>1612650
CHECKED
>>
>>1612655
checked what nigga?? lmaooo
>>
File: 1571254269660.png (578 KB, 1350x880)
578 KB
578 KB PNG
what's the deal with this faggot coming to this slow ass general on this slow ass board and then shitting his pants over it like it fucked his wife or something
>>
>>1612421
>buying a vintage car for $2,000
Is such a thing even possible?
>>
>>1612655
Hi new friend xxx
>>
>>1612639
have you seen the state of the /toy/ general? a bunch of literal autists posting about thomas toys for toddlers
>>
Can anyone link me to a good tutorial website about DCC? I would like to automate all sorts around a layout and have no idea how to proceed.
>>
>>1612696
>>1612755
Clearly I checked myself, newfaggots
>>
>>1612699
Tbh, I think we all fucked his wife and he should be mad
>>
>>1612719
Yeah, it just depends how much you want to fix problems. I'll probably be spending more than 2 g's for what I'm looking at, but the 2 g's is going a long way. Plus my tax return is gonna be decent as well. We'll see, tho.
>>
>>1613509
Yeah we ran a train over her.
>>
File: 1601939314459.jpg (8 KB, 223x226)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1613508
pardon us then
>>
>>1598957
m8 I am lurking this thread and thinking about when I was a kid and we were total poorfags. My mum was working three jobs (no not kneepads) to get us a cheap Hornby train set to cheer us up at Christmas.
Built that fucking thing into the living room of our council house on a table that filled the room and left it up for months, it was fantastic.
tl,dr trains are for poorfags too
>>
>>1613242
>literal autists posting about thomas toys for toddlers
so, this thread then.
>>
>>1613569
Ignore him. We're running a train on >>1612639's wife now.
>>
>>1613818
don't think you understood me mate
LITERAL thomas toys for toddlers, see for yourself
>>>/toy/8668087
>>>/toy/8671322
>>>/toy/8772101
>>
whoever's in charge at hornby or dapol are fucked in the head for not thinking to produce stepney in preserved condition with its slightly darker than normal improved engine green livery. that shit would be flying off the shelves
>>
>>1614075
100% agreed. I want a terrier so fuckin badly, but it has to be Stepney. I don't even have a OO layout. I have a small oo9 section of track on my bookshelf, but I'd set up a small stretch of OO alongside if it meant I could run Stepney.
>>
File: 1607573416360.jpg (91 KB, 923x713)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>1593475
looks great anon
>>
If I had shitload of money, I'd start collecting UK H0 stuff, just to be edgy by not fitting into OO.
>>
>>1614075
I don't know if you need explicit permission to start selling replicas of a preserved locomotive but they'd probably still rather be in agreement. It's the only way I can rationalise what Hornby is doing with it's B12 model.
>We want 8572!
>8753?
>We want 8572!!
>85...27?
>>1614274
I have a grand collection of two OO locos and no layout but cost aside, reflecting on the scale issues has me considering starting in O instead.
>>
>>1614280
O scale is a whole circus - it's actually 4 scales (1:43 1:43,5 1:45 1:48 ) and 3 gauges (33mm, 32mm and 29 point something mm). If japanese OJ stuff wasn't astronomically expensive, I'd go for it.
>>
Oh, I forgot - N scale in UK and Japan is also a circus.
>>
>>1614274
There isn't much to collect
UK HO is a kitbasher's field
>>
>>1614291
2MM ASSOCIATION REPRESENT NIGGUH!
>>
>>1614456
2mm scale is 1:152,4

That would be funny, if Japanese didn't make their models to weird scales. Proper H0 cost fortune, and variety of rolling stock is significantly reduced.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.