[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 34 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Any locomotive operators here? How do you like the job?
>management sucks
Besides that obviously
>>
>>1592441
I'm a conductor/RCL operator/yardmaster.

Railroads suck. Most of my coworkers are lazy shits and likewise for managers. I can't wait to finish my degree and get away from this place.
>>
>>1592444
What do yall think of railfans photographing an shit? is it cringy or just a part of the job? And I mean the normal ones not the trespassing foamers.
>>
>>1592444
what degree are you getting?
>>
The thread i'm wondering about.
I've been wanting to get a locomotive job but with the class-1's here it's a pain in the ass they need a 4 year now...wtf...
Either locomotive driver or conductor.
Though there is a local shortline that only needs a HS diploma so yeah.
>>
>>1592453
Trains are cool. I don't mind if people take pictures of them at all.
>>1592500
Mechanical engineering.
>>
>>1592660
you can drive a train as a part time job whilst studying? what third world country do you live in?
>>
>>1592864
I work full time and I'm a part time student(~10 hours/semester). I live in those USA.
>>
>>1593073
How much do you make driving trains in those USA? In my country it's not unusual for a locomotive operator having 82K salary
>>
>>1593136
I don't drive the trains. I run the yards. I was making ~$110k as a conductor and about $100k running the yards.
>>
is there some kind of a flightplan screen on train where the train drivers can see where to stop and when to start slowing down
>>
>>1593149
With the advent of PTC? (essentially)Yes. 3-4 years ago? No.
>>
>>1593149
Not a train operator but I'd think that depends on what train you're driving
>>
Railroading is in a period of stagnation and some degree of decline is likely in the near future. When things get really bad the industry will be reshaped (by whom or how is anyone's guess) and there will be a resurgence, but that doesn't mean it will be better. I can envision some railroads being merged into larger companies like Amazon or FedEx. I think the era of railroad mergers has passed, but that's just a hunch.

Unlike the resurgence of railroads in the late 80s and 90s after the malaise of the 70s, people aren't part of the plan. Expect way more automation and loss of jobs through attrition for the foreseeable future, both on the ground in in management. I don't think it's a good career anymore and hasn't been for a decade. It might never be a good career again.
>>
>>1593171
>. Expect way more automation and loss of jobs through attrition for the foreseeable future, both on the ground in in management. I don't think it's a good career anymore and hasn't been for a decade. It might never be a good career again.
I've tried to tell so many of my coworkers this, but a lot of them are blind. The future of the railroad is all about doing more with less. Fewer dispatchers, carmen, conductors, engineers, clerks, etc. It's happening a lot faster than than a lot of them realize and the unions are still dragging their feet and refuse to accept it.

To give a stark example, in just the last 4 years UP has shed nearly 25% of its employees.
>>
>>1593176
>The future of the railroad is all about doing more with less.
This is true for most industries.
>>
>>1593177
It is, but the potential is a lot greater with railroads I think. I get emailed reports from more and more sophisticated defect detectors identifying faults and flaws. A computer AI can easily and more quickly identify train meets and mark switch lists than a human. Robots could EASILY lace up air on cars and perform brake tests, and automatic inspection cars are already performing more detailed track analysis.

No craft, no position, and nobody's job is safe out here in the mid to long term.
>>
>>1592505
You again? LoL. Class ones in the U.S. don't require a 4 year degree to be a locomotive engineer. Stop spreading that shit. You can't get hired as a locomotive engineer anyway, you gotta be a conductor first and you are sure as shit don't need a college degree for that.
>>
File: 1606583817308.jpg (2.64 MB, 2500x6250)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
Are all conductors like this?
>>
>>1593786
This dude definitely hurt animals as a child
>>
>>1593151
How was it done in 3-4 years ago? Because im looking at picture and it seems there aint shit to do but sit and stare at a glass window
>>
>>1593786
No it's fake. Conductors don't run trains the engineer does.
>>
>>1593842
Aren’t conductors basically flight attendants? That was my reading of it...
>>
All shitting aside, what are the hours like? Putting in the time to get the job ain’t the problem, but working ungodly hours for peanuts isn’t gonna do it for me. If that’s the name of the game, then I’d rather give up the ghost unless there is some crazy perks I’m not seeing.
>>
>>1593845
You'll make ass loads of money but have no free time. As a conductor I never made less than $105k/year.
>>
>>1593869
Whatt RR?
>>
>>1594189
le CN.
>>
>>1593845
with BNSF they let you layoff seven days a month whenever you want. 5 weekdays and 2 weekends. No penalties. You can put in layoffs in advance but if no open slots are available people just call out sick.
>>
>>1593845
Don't work for NS. They pay the shittiest.
From what I hear BNSF and CN pay the best. Also depends where you hire out. A lot of jobs have different pay rates due to local union agreements.
>>
File: 1280px-717009_OKL.jpg (323 KB, 1280x853)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
>>1592441
Currently applying for a job in the UK. Still waiting for a reply (Due to bloody rona).
>>
>>1594285
CN pays the most, but there are ZERO work rules.
>>
>>1592441
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLs_0h9_wXM
>>
>>1592441
Driver here. Love my job, super low stress compared to other roles I've done.

Heaps of fat lazy cunts though.
>>
>>1592441
everyone always says management sucks but never suggests how it could be improved
>>
>>1597100
[spoiler]Because most unionized employees are lazy as shit and couldn't hold a job at Wal-Mart.[/spoiler]
>>
>>1597100
We have 2 tiers of management, those who came from train crew and those hired directly to positions from outside the railway.
Management from train crew are knowledgeable but carry on the systemic uselessness of heavily unionised/lazy people and love the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but plenty of shit is broken.
Management from outside are seen as callous beaurocrats who know fuck all about running trains (physical and mental demands, shift work, standards, safety etc). They're also lazy in their own way, like who needs 3 coffee breaks.

Not sure how to fix it, maybe start recruiting management from train crew but based on merit instead of seniority?
>>
>>1593786
That LARP is pretty bad but what's even worse is that epic reddit "look at this wacky 4chan man xD" format.
>>
Going through the process of applying from a major EU passenger service.

The tests and requirements are intense and it's of very high standards.

The process here is along the lines of this.

1. Apply and fill out suitability questionnaire and character test.
2. Scenario multiple choice questions. They ask you about various situations and what you would do if you encountered them as a driver.
3. Online aptitude testing that includes psychometric shit, numerical and verbal reasoning. It measures your speed and accuracy.
4. In person tests at the service HQ. Again, a variety of aptitude and psychometric tests. These are intese and progress until genuinely become impossible. They're designed to break you and see how you cope under pressure.
4. Panel interview. About 40 minutes in total infront of 3 people asking you various shit. You also have to write some essays prior to this and they'll quiz you on them.
5. Medical. Similar medical standard to a commercial airliner pilot.
6. Accepted into training. 6 months classroom and on the rail training. Weekly exams and assessments.
7. Driving under supervision for a couple of months. You need to learn the line features off by heart.
8. European Train drivers Licence examinations.
9. Congrats you passed but you're on 2 years probation, don't fuck up!
>>
>>1593142
Damn, that’s good shit. And you’re doing college at the same time too? What are the job requirements?
>>
>>1597310
>And you’re doing college at the same time too?
Yes. This semester is going to kick my ass with sleep and free time, though.
>What are the job requirements?
Pass a drug test, be able to operate with little sleep, put up with absolute fucking morons.
>>
>>1593142
That's amazing. Good luck finding something better with your degree.
>>
>>1597308
That was pretty similar to driver selection process here in Australia. The school component was slightly shorter, but the mentoring out on track was longer.
>>
>>1594252
I wonder how much their dispatchers and yard masters make
>>
>>1597308
This is fucking retarded. Why the fuck does a fucking train driver need so much testing. It's like they are sending him on a fucking mars mission or something
>>
>>1597637
Literally thousands of people apply for Driver when they bother to run external recruitment, they partly do so much testing to weed out the retards.
>>
I applied at the Swiss federal railways abd and they passed me over without even giving a reason even though they're always saying they don't have enough train drivers.
>>
>>1597776
You're probably (definitely) not good enough.
>>
>>1597637
Because in actual civilized countries taking control of heavy power plant engines and being responsible for hundreds of lives requires a high standard of training and education, sort of similar to piloting a ship or aircraft.

Unlike in certain countries where any drugged up retard will be hired to haul thousands of tonnes, and where safety standards are so low there a multiple deaths and derailments every single day.
>>
File: 1448656548254.png (611 KB, 780x720)
611 KB
611 KB PNG
>>1598068
you seem to be upset about something
>>
>>1597635
>Wonder
I make $42 something/hr as a yardmaster. I'll ask a dispatcher or look at their agreement tomorrow.
>>
>>1598068
80/20 deal with stop it with the god delusion nonsense
>>
>>1597805
How would they know if they didn't even talk to me
>>
>>1597312
>put up with absolute fucking morons.

i feel this applies to many more jobs
>>
>>1597776
You are probably not diversity enough
>>
>>1598107
That's on the CN?
>>
>>1598219
Did you send in your application with resume attached? Then do a semi difficult online aptitude test?
I know they auto purge all applications with a certain amount of spelling mistakes and other random prerequisites without even looking at them. Plus the aptitude tests will cull all but the best. So it's not even about getting over a certain benchmark, you just have to be in the top percentage that they're looking for. Plus being a woman, negro or bum driller probably (definitely) helps.
>>
>>1598236
Yes. Well, one if its subsidiaries at least. I'll have to ask a dispatcher later what they make since their contract just gives raise amounts.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.