[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 62 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How do we get people to feel better while riding in public transit?
>>
>>1590790
first class carriages
>>
File: img_8563.jpg (78 KB, 768x576)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>1590791
Make it so that the buses are very nice and are things people want to ride. The main company who run buses around my area have upgraded their key network of express routes to have all kinds of mod cons. They run fast along major roads to get between the local towns and cities quickly, and the number of passengers is increasing.

The American approach where everything is cheap and shit doesn't work well, you need to be prepared to pay for quality. And that probably means private sector - there are some decent state run bus companies over here like Reading, Edinburgh, or Nottingham, but even they run for profit despite being council owned.
>>
>>1590791
That's raycist.
>>
>>1590815
>The American approach where everything is cheap and shit doesn't work well
There's a reason why we don't have nice amenities on public transit
>>
>>1590818
Is that the case everywhere?

There are similar reasons for why London transport is pretty rubbish, and London's buses in particular are shit, but the picture I posted is from the poorest part of England, where I'm from - it is also the most homogeneous. Are there no US cities which are similar in demographics?
>>
>>1590790
>Public transit users report being the most miserable
>as they do in most other places
how can the non-cycling portion of /n/ ever recover from this
>>
More bus lanes because people hate riding a bus just to be stuck in the same traffic as cars.

Also staff every bus with a guard who enforces people actually adhering to rules about quiet and civilized behavior and has the legal power to kick violators off the bus or arrest them. People generally enjoy slightly overpoliced spaces more than underpoliced spaces.
>>
>>1590815
Out of London busses are shit. Oh wow you have USB charging points and vibrating seats but you cost £5,00 and come once every other hour on a route nobody wants
>>
>>1590825
Londons transport is better than the anywhere else in the UK
>>
>>1590790
Simply lie to people and tell them that it’s better and safer.

That’s the current approach at least
>>
What, or who are safety risks in the netherlands?
>>
>>1590882
I believe the correct term is “sandnigger”.
>>
Safety and racial stuff aside, how do we make public transit less soul-crushingly depressing?
>>
>>1590899
cleanliness, punctuality, properly thought out routes and time tables, decent people as drivers, good infrastructure
that's why you can't just "make transit better" if the rest of your country is a shitheap
>>
Chicago here. People, usually of a certain race, will walk in between the train cars to PEE on the tracks, if they aren't out there to smoke. Sometimes they sit on the chains that run between the train cars and fall to their death. I've seen people having rap battles, gambling, selling cigarettes. It is anarchy.
>>
>>1590920
Wow! How culturally vibrant!
>>
>>1590815
The public transit where I live is expensive and Jamal still boards the bus and drops a stinky deuce. What then?
>>
File: 1497416332876.jpg (240 KB, 1990x348)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>
Design lines so those used by the wrong sort of ethnic minorities don't have to be used by European natives. So crossing chinatown is fine but crossing the Muslim ghetto isn't.
>>
>>1590816
Beat me to it. People would complain that it segregates people of color from better conditions
>>
>>1590955
almost as if they're the ones who shit up transit
>>
>>1590899
Punctuality is really important. If you're operating lines with longer headways where one cannot just show up at a bus or metro station and only need to wait a few minutes at most, it's even more critical. In those cases there needs to be a good timetable and the bus better show up at that time. Not leave 5 minutes early, not arrive 30 minutes late. It needs to show up on time.
>>
>>1590993
>>1590911

This is all well and good but I’m talking about things like general ambiance and stuff like that, a lot of transit has a very prison-y vibe to it in the interior, that’s definitely not helping.
>>
homogenous white state so that people don't have to look at niggers, listen to niggers, or get mugged by niggers while riding the bus or the train
>>
>>1591198
It seems that that doesnt work in the Netherlands though, clearly it must be something else.
>>
>>1591203
>clearly it must be something else
Nope
>>
>>1590790
Those bike fear and rage statistics clearly apply only to Netherlands. Everywhere else they should be just as high if not higher than those of cars.
>>
>>1590920
>rap battles, gambling, selling cigarettes. It is anarchy.
sounds pretty lit desu
>>
>>1590993
>Punctuality is really important.
Bus riders need to get to stops on time. No running across heavy traffic, waving and screaming at a bus that's on time because they were late sleeping off another hangover.
>>
>>1590942
Buy a car like any sane person. And get a concealed carry permit.
>>
Maybe make people feel safe on it?
>>
>>1591601
>>
>>1591600
>americans need to segregate themselves to their safespace districts and carry guns to be safe from the criminal class
what a pitiful nation
>>
>>1591195
>a lot of transit has a very prison-y vibe to it in the interior
not by design, that's just a consequence of the undesirables shitting them up
>>
>>1591625
That's what happens when you let joggers into your country. Let that be a lesson.
>>
>>1590790
ragies in their cagies
>>
>>1591601
>>1591603
How do you even solve that issue? You can isolate public transport lines going through minority neighborhood but that would only increase safety for women in non-minority areas. Maybe women only wagons like in Japan? There's no guarantee thugs wouldn't board them anyway and you can't put a cop in each of them. I guess you could use a passcard system so that only women can open the door.
>>
>>1590920
>I've seen people having rap battles, gambling, selling cigarettes. It is anarchy.

You sound like a faggot. I always enjoyed that stuff when i rode the CTA. The only thing that bothered me was the occasional intoxicated/aggressive panhandler. If you can’t enjoy nigs being nigs when they aren’t bothering anyone you should just move to the burbs.
>>
>>1591203
>the Netherlands
>homogenous white state

Maybe in Eastern rural areas but that's not were public transport is concentrated. To be fair Moroccans and Turks are somewhat better behaved than US blacks.
>>
>>1593515
You may enjoy that but the majority of the ridership doesn't and a public transport system can't work by catering to a tiny share of the population. You want to have broad appeal. The higher the ridership, the cheaper the public transport is to operate.
>>
>>1590790
get rid of the aids infested scum
make clean and comfortable transit vehicles
provide things like wifi, power outlets and work stations for commuters
eliminate standing (if seats are full the vehicle is full)
put a conductor / security on each train car / bus to keep riffraff out, deal with passangers needs, and so operators / drivers can drive
>>
>>1590899
Buses will always be shit imo, you have all the downsides of cars with none of the upsides. A fast, modern rail system that actually gets you where you want to go on time isn't soul crushing as long as it's not dirty or over crowded.
>>
>>1590790
You can't. People hate crowds, and by design public transport is crowded.
>>1590815
It still is a bus. Nothing prevents some foul smelling retard from sitting near you
>>
There's no reason in 2020 that real time tracking of buses and metros isn't ubiquitous.

>>1590815
>trusting the general public with fabric seats
disgusting
>>
File: crowd2.jpg (453 KB, 1236x425)
453 KB
453 KB JPG
>>1593566
>People hate crowds
Autists hate crowds. Normies love crowds.
>>
>drunken people
>smelly hobos
>loud assholes
>backrest usually broken
>not enough room to use laptop if somebody is sitting next to you
the only thing they can really work on is cleaning and taking care of the bus but they can't do anything to that mostly poor use buses and poor people are nasty
>>
n
>>
>>1590790
Vibrating seats
>>
>>1593714
i
>>
File: 05-via-belmond.com_.jpg (253 KB, 1200x800)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
Make the interior look like this
>>
>>1593700
>>drunken people
>>smelly hobos
>>loud assholes
>>backrest usually broken
where the fuck you you all live
>>
>>1593716
hol on I gotcha
>>
>>1593919
usa
>>
>>1593749
g
>>
>>1593919
Berlin
>>
>>1593919
the greatest country in the world™
>>
>>1590790
The public transport here improved a lot when illegal van drivers covered the routes usually done by buses.
It could be even better with some changes in the design of the van and an app to call it on demand, but if the basic service has to be provided hidden to the eyes of the giant government...
>>
>>1593929
Ikaruses were nice and vibration free. It was LIAZ that was vibrating like a moms dildo
>>
File: 1609715261832.png (2.75 MB, 1440x1440)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB PNG
>>1590790
Their buses and trams are world class in the Netherlands. The Dutch are whining.
>>
>>1590790
You don't. Scrap them all and build more cars.
>>
>>1593590
>Normies love crowds.
Yet they swallowed the "social distancing" meme wholeheartedly and didn't question when it became indefinite instead of just a few weeks.
>>
File: kiddo.jpg (21 KB, 600x315)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>1593509
>some bearded goon in a dress tries to enter a woman-only train
>gets denied
>lawsuit
>wins
>taxpayers have to foot the bill
>women have to deal with anyone who claims they are a woman
>>
>>1594120
g
>>
>>1590790
>How do we get people to feel better while riding in public transit?
Ending the pandemic would be a good start.
>>
>>1593590
I used to think I hated crowds but then I realised that was because I was in the wrong crowds and wasn't drunk/high enough.
>>
>>1590790
somewhat ironically, make public transport more personal. make buses a bit smaller and feel more intimate. this would require a larger amount of buses and also drivers but it would also make more frequent service which is convenient.

Also Give passengers something to do, so perhaps make public transport a social phenomena where people can casually chat with the bus driver or something. Biking or driving is an activity whereas sitting in a bus is just sitting down

we could also try to make cities and places that use public transport more beautiful. Looking at complex and interesting scenery is much less dread inducing than square brick apartments and warehouses
>>
>>1590790
You can't unless you start filter people. Public people are just going to be a gamble each time.
>>
>>1593509
>women only wagons like in Japan?
do they really? the absolute state
>>
>>1595116
t. never talked to a woman. hot women get groped and harassed everywhere, japan was just decent enough to do something about it
>>
>>1595124
>t. never talked to a woman
yeah if he ever talked to any woman he'd know they don't say "hello" as a greeting, they say "did you know japan has woman-only train cars". what an incel.
>>
>>1595129
yes.jpg
>>
>>1593929
Those are actually Hungarian made. Seethe more gypo
>>
Stop giving free tickets to the perpetually work shy and minorities. Execute all hard drug users or at least ban them from public transport. Buses are like housing, their pleasantness is dependent on the people living there or using them
>>
>>1590790
Force cyclist on buses, they are happy with whatever crappy transportation they get.
>>
>>1590853
how is it not safer
>>
>>1593566
>by design public transport is crowded
It's not, just run more buses/trains/streetcars
>>
>>1590940
based
>>
>>1590790
>offer more frequent services
>build dedicated bus lanes
>make traffic-lights turn green for oncoming buses or trams (either by detection or with a green-wave system)
>have trains and buses arrive on time
>facilitate interchanges
>make stations more accessible
>make payment easier
>>
>>1590815
>Reading, Edinburgh, or Nottingham
Is that picture a Britbong bus? Where is it? I've never seen anything like that.
>>
>>1590790
>get people to feel better
Zoloft.
>>
>>1590815
That looks nice. But homeless people can't lie across two of those seats and catch a nap. So that would be unacceptable in my city.
>>
>>1596328
>how is it not safer
Bus plunge.
>>
>>1596502
>>
>>1590790
bring back class segregated carriages
>>
File: Thinking turtle.png (57 KB, 600x600)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>1596725
I never really liked some of these per-mile statistics. It feels like it's not a fair reflection of how transport is used.
A typical car journey is like 1-100 miles whereas a plane journey is like 500-10,000 so if say 50% of these journeys resulted in a passenger death, the plane would still look far safer, despite a single journey being just as perilous.

Train vs. car is probably fair because the trains take you similar distances to cars.

What would the stats look like if it talked about deaths per single journey?

I'm not a statsfag and maybe I'm missing something so don't take my critique too seriously.
>>
>>1596725
I’ve been robbed at knifepoint on the train, never happened in my car
>>
>>1596767
Ever consider not looking like a mark?
>>
>>1596729
This, but unironically.
>>
>>1590790
>How do we get people to feel better while riding in public transit?
You can't. People prefer drive or ride their own private vehicle not be driven around like cattle
>>1590837
>More bus lanes because people hate riding a bus just to be stuck in the same traffic as cars.
This are the norm in the Netherlands. they even have traffic lights that give the maximum priority to transit
>>
>>1596738
I'd say that's a fair assesment. Of course you won't take the plane to commute, but all the rest are on equal footing here, commuting-wise I'd say. It would make sense to take the plane into account if you were to plan a cross-country trip I guess
>>
>>1595101
>ironically, make public transport more personal. make buses a bit smaller and feel more intimate. this would require a larger amount of buses and also drivers but it would also make more frequent service which is convenient.
Final solution: give everyone personal bus and driver
>>
>>1590940
holy shit moot was a colossal faggot
>>
>>1596738
I prefer deaths per hour of use, since people typically measure trips by time rather than distance
>>
>>1596952
>>
>>1596952
>>1597013
One puts cycling as twice as safe as driving, the other as twice as dangerous as driving, so what is it? Can I just cherrypick the one that makes cycling look safer?
>>
>>1597047
I mean it really depends on how common cycling is in the area. Copenhagen is incredibly safe. Detroit, LA, etc are dangerous to cycle.

It also depends on age and experience of cyclist, just like with cars. There is no single number that can be used for all cases
>>
>>1590790
Segregation
>>
File: daily grind.jpg (53 KB, 699x420)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>1596952
>sky dive commuting

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.