[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Railway Weights.jpg (196 KB, 1080x1559)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
Saw these weights on a couple of the Railway post near my place, always wonder what they do they attach to a wire but i cant see what it leads too, Any Ideas?
>>
File: The_Moment_of_the_Pull.jpg (1.58 MB, 3072x2040)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
>>1576884
>Demo of the mail hook pulling a mail bag on Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad #1923 at the Illinois Railway Museum.

from wikipedia
>>
>>1576884
The weights are to keep the overhead catenary wire in tension. You want the wire with thousands of volts of electric current to move as little as possible, and mechanical tensioning keeps it stable from the effects of train movements or temperatures.
>>
As metal heats up, it expands; and likewise when it gets cold, it contracts. The weights you can see in the picture counter-balance this expansion and contraction, to keep the overhead cables in roughly the same place whatever the weather.
>>
every guitar player knows that wires stretch over time. think of them like automatic tuners
>>
File: 1539044277956.jpg (173 KB, 960x912)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>1576903
>>1576938
>>1576970
Thanks Anons

>>1576898
Think is is a different one but thanks anon for having a look
>>
>>1576898
wtf thats so cool
>>
8 pl8s m8 KILL IT

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.