[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Since I'm using my bicycle as an utility device, often I find myself running out of cargo capacity in my rear cargo bags. The loads I carry (~ 20 kg, anything larger I'm carrying by car) are also problematic.

I'm thinking about pic related as a solution, and as one less reason to use my car, especially with an electric version, that could make a 20 km/direction trip fully loaded (local farmer's market, currently that's done by car because of the expected heavy loads) without any difficulty.

Yeah, I'm not /fit/, so I probably can't cycle centuries.

Only problem is that even from aliexpress, it's fing $1k + duty, taxes and shipping. From yurop, the quotes I've heard are closer to €3k.

Also, I haven't seen a cargobike with 28" wheels, and being 6'3", that could be a problem.

Is this a good idea?
What alternatives are there lugging cargo around with a bicycle?
What non-car alternatives are there? Are electric scooters any good?
Also, cargobike general.
>>
File: DSC_0520_proc.jpg (315 KB, 1496x844)
315 KB
315 KB JPG
A cargobike is definitely overkill for a 20kg load. You could do just fine with front and rear racks, hell, even a single rear rack should suffice. Just gotta git gud at securing your cargo. A milk crate is a great option too.
You could also get one of those little one-wheeled carts that attach to your bike, can haul big stuff on them.
>>
File: download.jpg (55 KB, 900x600)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>1576692
also this is the sort of one-wheeled cart I'm talking about
>>
90% of cargo bikes are "look at me" hipster bullshit for the kinds of dildos who raise chickens in gentrified urban neighborhoods. What are you going to do with it, pick up junk being thrown out and take it to the itinerant fix-it guy at brooklyn flea, the one with the trilby and suspenders? Please find a less annoying affectation, thanks.
>>
File: 0620141043.jpg (151 KB, 1280x960)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
Why not just use a rear tow behind trailer and leave your bike free from extra bags and clutter with racks?

These are rated to carry up to 750 lbs and are rated to an operational max wheel load capacity of 600kgs for the wheels. The frame will hold far more than that.
>>
Just use your car
>>
>>1576695
They literally compost their children calling it an alternative, adding seat belts to the bucket that they throw waste into....symbolically that seems a little strange that they moved their "fiat" into the scene as a push bike model

But ironically they seem to be OK having their kid in front in a low position sucking exhaust out of the tailpipes of cars in traffic

And some of these companies say right on the container, not made for live loads to curb the safety issues
>>
>>1576695
>>1576709
wow you guys got mad real fast.
>>
Use a trailer. You only need to pull it, not support the weight on your bike. If you bike becomes too heavy it may cause control difficulty.
>>
>>1576722
>>1576706
>>1576694
I didn't know this was an option. Do I need a trailer hitch for that, and are they standardized,nor they come with the trailer itself?
>>
>>1576708
>>>/O/
/N/ unironically suggesting someone to drive
>>
File: Surly cargo.jpg (136 KB, 720x540)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
You can convert a regular bike to cargo with a kit from Xtracycle, not that difficult if you're a basic DIY type. You end up with a longtail cargo bike like a Surly Big Dummy, I've been using my converted cargo bike for nearly 20 years now. You can get the kits new from Xtracycle or check eBay for a used Free Radical kit for usually less than half the cost of new. Pic related: 150+ lbs of dog food and supplies on a Surly Instigator w/a Free Radical conversion.
>>
I’ve always wanted to try riding a front load cargo bike, but I’d never want to own one. Anyways,
>front loading cargo bike if you’re rich
>long tail if you have kids or if you shop at Costco
>trailer if you have a lot of stuff and don’t want a separate cargo bike
>racks and baskets/panniers/bungee cords for everybody else. Most rear racks are rated for 25ish kg, so you could just bungee cord a duffle bag to one for like $40.
>>
>>1576714
>everyone who writes more than 3 syllables is mad
Yep, it's a zoomer
>>
>>1576690
Absurdely overpriced.
>>
>why yes. I ride my cargo bicycle to the farmer's market
>>
>>1576690
>cargobike with 28" wheels
ya gonna need sram boost hubs to have strong wheels
>>1576775
there is no standard, each trailer should come with its own specific mounting brackets
some bike frames do come with a lug integrated into one of the rear fork ends
the problem is to have two or three axis of movement so either multiple pivots or rose joints are used
and also there is not many places to mount such a pivot to the bike, seat post, wheel axle, chain stay mounting point for kick stand
>>
File: 1560786461941.png (18 KB, 315x274)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>1576695
>>1576856
op has literally explained what he uses his bike for, and is looking for advice on a suitable upgrade. i dont know what kind of brain worms you must be infected with to suddenly start getting mad at people who wear trilbys and uh, go to farmer's markets and stuff, because literally nobody mentioned any of that stuff but you
>>
>>1576834
>starts sperging out out of nowhere
>t-totally not mad guise
have sex
>>
>>1576940
I go to farmers markets you fucking tool. Stop equating living in a city with behaving like you have shit where your brain is supposed to be. Or if you can't manage, then please ride your cargo bike onto the belt parkway and let nature take its course
>>
>>1576954
i think you responded to the wrong post
>>
>>1576834
t. totally not one of the assblasted faggots from the previous, clearly assblasted posts
>>
writing down 'cargo bikes' on the big List Of Thinkgs It's Illegal To Talk About On This Website Because It Makes People Super Mad, and sighing
>>
>>1576956
No U? Seethe? What is the point of this kind of response?
>>1576957
t. raises roosters in his Bed-Stuy "urban homestead", annoying the fuck out of his neighbors, who he views somewhat like wildlife, a curiosity and something to be feared at night. Calls the cops on those same neighbors for playing the radio too loud at a birthday party once.
>>
>>1576973
what, specifically, do you dislike about cargo bicycles
>>
>>1576974
The cargo bikes themselves are not the problem. It's the owners, case in point: you.
>>
>>1576977
why do you think i own a cargo bike
>>
>>1576978
Cock a doodle doo, you fucking hipster. Let's just fast forward to the point where you realize city life is not for you and you "finally grow up" and buy a McMansion in the middle of nowhere, ok?
>>
>>1576973
wow, i can tell you've spent a lot of mental energy cooking up these fictions to seethe about. too bad you didn't do anything productive with that time, like riding your fucking bike.
>>
>>1576979
would that make you happy
>>
>>1576980
Believe me if I could be riding my bike for all my waking hours I would be, but there are limits to human biology, at least, for now
>>1576981
Yes actually, it would
>>
>>1576983
why would that make you happy
>>
>>1576984
What a mystery
>>
indeed
>>
>>1576983
do you actually live in nyc, or do you seethe at your imagined creations from afar?
>>
>>1576987
Is this the first time it's occurred to you that your neighbors actually hate your guts? Wait until you find out about santa claus and the tooth fairy.
>>
>>1576988
answer the question, larper.
>>
i would like to ride a cargo bike, and put things in the cargo carrier part of the bike, and ride the bike with the cargo inside
>>
>>1576989
Are you hitting on me? Try grindr.
>>
>>1576991
aaaannd there's the non sequitur. keep on larpin'.
>>
>>1576992
Keep on pissin' off everyone you ram into with your "totally not a stroller", karen
>>
>>1576994
lmao you've really fallen apart in the course of a few posts, i love this. never change.
>>
>>1576690
you can definitely do this with front and rear racks and panniers, or front basket and rear panniers. no need for a cargobike.
>>
as above, no need for that - a touring bike fitted with a sturdy rear rack, good quality panniers, and a large basket on the front would be a much better choice for casual haulage. add a trailer to that and you can move pretty much anything.
touring bike since the geometry and overall construction is dictated by the need to carry a lot of stuff and still be easily rideable - you could likely do something that would work with an old mtb though.
no problem with cargo bikes but it'll be heavy and slow, quality will suck below a certain price point also. an electric assist would make sense but then you're looking at $$$ so...

>>1576973
lol, you need to get a fucking grip sonny
>>
gotta love boomerposting lel
>>
>>1576775
Trailers generally come with the necessary attachment things. Single wheel trailers usually have a fork type thing on a swivel that attaches to both ends of the rear axle, but ones with a high drawbar that attaches to a ball mount on the seat post exist. Two wheeled trailers either have the same high drawbar with seat post attachment, or a low drawbar that attaches to one side of your rear axle. Low drawbars nearly don't affect bike handling at all, but have a limited turning angle in one direction (usually right), high drawbars that attach to the seat post have a far greater turning angle in either direction but with heavy loads you can kind of feel them tugging on the bike when you lean into turns and they take a little getting used to.
>>
>>1576940
Op here.
Actually I have looked for /n/ solutions to an /n/ problem, anf have found actually helpful posts like

>>1576706
>>1576694
>>1576885
>>1577091
Suggesting me a trailer and >>1576885 also suggesting s great rear hub, as my current rear hub is broken from the constant overload

Also a great idea was long johns, and a long bike upgrade kit (>>1576815) which would also allow me a path to disc brakes without having to buy a new frame.

Thank you all for the contribution!
>>
File: ho chi min bike.jpg (198 KB, 1395x901)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>1577439
the wider 140 mm hubs were common on touring bikes and tandems at one point
to reduce the dish of the spokes and keep the wheel from bending sideways so much
smaller wheels or larger hub flanges will also have the same effect

one wheel trailers have a more simple mount but tend to be a little unstable, some are cheep but likely only just sufficient for your 20 kg ish cargo
most trailers do put a bit more stress on the rear wheel so its something to keep an eye on
rear wheels are the weak part of most bikes

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.