[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ss-yosemite.png (3.7 MB, 3584x2240)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB PNG
I don't know about you, but I think that Great Lakes freighters are pretty neat.
>>
>>1576344
*sinks*
>>
>>1576344
>>1576390
>The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
>Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee
>The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
>When the skies of November turn gloomy
>With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
>Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty
>That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed
>When the gales of November came early
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6DUFPNILvM
>>
File: edmund-fitzgerald-1960s.jpg (1.4 MB, 1504x1200)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>1576517
From what I've read, it sounds like they hit a poorly mapped shoal and took on enough water that some particularly bad waves (the "three sisters") sent them down before they could even react.
I can't begin to imagine what that final plunge must have been like.
>>
>>1576517
Thanks anon, I'm now listening to that.
>>
>>1576344
what's the draught like on these bad boys? do they sail the missippi and st lawrence? or just stay in the lakes
>>
File: 1562522024425.png (133 KB, 528x321)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
>>1576517
>Fellas, it's been good to know ya
Right in the feels every time
>>
File: paul-r-tregurtha-duluth.jpg (678 KB, 2016x954)
678 KB
678 KB JPG
>>1576763
Burger units incoming...
>what's the draught like on these bad boys?
The St. Mary's River necessitates a summer draft of 27' but it varies with the age/design of the boats (and yes, they are technically "ships" but they have always been called "boats").
>do they sail the missippi and st lawrence? or just stay in the lakes
They're too big for the Mississippi, but they can sail the St. Lawrence provided they don't exceed the "Seawaymax" length of 740'. None of the Canadian boats exceed that length, since much of their business is along the Seaway, but the Americans have built some larger boats (the current "Queen of the Lakes" is pic related at 1014') which stay confined to the upper lakes.
>>
>>1576344
>>1576613
What's the reason so many lakers have the bridge at the front, unlike most cargo ships?
>>
File: SS-RJ-Hackett.png (160 KB, 510x352)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
>>1577112
For a little over a century, the majority of the lakers were based on the basic design of the SS R.J. Hackett from 1869. The Hackett was essentially a motorized barge, with the wheelhouse built forward for the sake of visibility, while the enginehouse was located at the stern end so as to keep the propeller shaft out of the cargo hold. This design lasted for so long in part because of tradition, and in part because it was popular with the crews themselves. Nevertheless, beginning with new Canadian boats in the early 1960s, a single, combined deckhouse at the stern end became standard as a cost-saving measure, and the final laker designed with the traditional configuration was launched in 1974.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.