[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 28 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Aviation-Mechanic.jpg (615 KB, 1200x1200)
615 KB
615 KB JPG
Why be a pilot when A&Ps make just as much in half the time and can live anywhere in the world? Edition

Welcome to the /gag/ - /gag/ is dedicated to all the pilots and pilot applicants out there, and although the name suggests otherwise, airline, military, and charter discussion is welcome.
Keep it on topic, keep the shit throwing to a minimum, no nudes. Bikefags not allowed :^)
Previous Thread: >>1563742
>>
So an FAA certified A&P can work for EASA jobs no problem?
>>
>>1576158
I'm pretty sure you have to convert it over. OP is probably talking about military contractor jobs, wherever there's a base you can go. Japan, korea, hawaii, Germany, spain, antarctica, etc
>>
>>1576104
Because you work less as a pilot and earn more.
>>
>>1576170
>Stuck in some shitty motel for a day waiting to go home.
You may not be working, but it's shit quality of life.
>>
>>1576176
So is being an aircraft technician, you don’t just seat on your ass at base working on aircraft from 9 to 5. Your work nights and weird schedule, your weekend is middle of the week most of the time, you follow your aircraft and work on it if anything brakes at any time of the day.

The professional is still nice as far as wagecuking goes but it’s not all sunshine and rainbows.

>t. “Work” in aviation (Fuck Covid)
>>
>>1576180
Depends on what shift you get dipshit
>>
>>1576104
>Why be a pilot
People pay shitpots of money to fly in their free time, so why not get paid for it? I don't see anyone paying/spending free time opening inspection panels or taking skydrol showers because it's fun

>A&Ps make just as much in half the time
>A&Ps can live anywhere in the world
Depends on the gig. Pilots and A&Ps both have to go where the work is. Time off, scheduling, etc all depend on the company, your seniority, and a bunch of other shit.
>>
>>1576104
I don't know any mechanics who made 370k last year, but I do know some pilots who did.
>>
>>1576203
>stuck in some shitty motel
Depends on what trip you get dipshit
>>
>>1576176
I've never stayed at a motel in my flying career...
>>
File: plane.png (522 KB, 738x435)
522 KB
522 KB PNG
>>
>student calls me and ask if we are going to fly today
>I turn the question around and ask him
>he says he doesn’t know
>I tell him to use his best judgement and critical thinking skills
>”uh I don’t know that’s why I was calling you”
>50TT
God fucking dammit. This shit is driving me insane.
>>
>>1577326
Cut him some slack. Maybe you’re too intimidating t b h .
However, if you’re based in Central Europe then you’ve got the right to be exasperated. It’s pouring outside
>>
>>1577331
he's right tho, you have to teach those little shits to use their heads and actually think for themselves, if they can't do that they should stick to boats or cars or something
>>
>>1577369
the sad thing is this student is a 55 year old man
>>
anons of /gag/, what is, in your opinion, a good yearly flight time for a private pilot? or how many hours do you, on average, fly a typical year?
>>
>>1577384
over 9000
>>
>>1577388
I'd say around 40 is a minimum to stay current, 60-80 is good and 100+ is great
>>
>>1577400
40 hours a year as a private pilot you're retarded
>>
File: noU.gif (817 KB, 500x411)
817 KB
817 KB GIF
>>1577499
no u
>>
My student has his private pilot checkride today. He’s a good student and I wasn’t worried about him. Last night, he messaged me asking me very basic things that I know he already knows and changed his XC flight plan and all this bs. FUCK
>>
>>1577727
Maybe he was just double checking what he already knows and wanted a more familiar flight plan?
>>
>>1577754
^ this, it's so easy to second guess yourself with a checkride looming overhead, especially if you can't remember the PHAK/AFH/AIM/regulatory source for something that might not be intuitive at a private pilot knowledge level
>>
Ha ha... hahahahha..... HAHA
>>
File: toner.jpg (59 KB, 794x393)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>1576104
Please help me. I recently learned that I'm never going to be a fighter pilot like I always wanted. Can some other pilots tell me how I can still get into the fight?
>>
>>1577982
this board is very slow. these threads can last weeks
>>
>>1577994
I don't need fast answers, I need people who know what they're talking about
>>
>>1577982
get into a commercial pilot program in Alaska, i think these run about 60k. you can tickle your death with flying in shitty conditions with low hours and have lots of adrenaline, just dont die, more importantly, dont kill any of your passengers.
>>
>>1578011
pls no, I would like a pilot job up here myself, thanks.
>>
>>1578011
I have a job, I just want to be a combat pilot. That's my issue
>>
File: 1598767665194.jpg (411 KB, 1920x1080)
411 KB
411 KB JPG
How would you guys reccomend getting to my commercial pilots license? I was thinking the small mom&pop run flight school in my town, looks like ti would cost my current savings but it would work. Anyone have any tips? I've never flown anything btw
>>
>>1578029
fly some shit first, take some discovery flights. use flight schools that have dedicated syllabus and/or a guaranteed program so you don't get milked. youve got to devote a lot of time to it too, reading and flying several times a week so you dont lose ground. awesome picture, thats Alaska?
>>
>>1578041
not that guy but that's a painting
>>
>>1578011
Details pls? Do they really let low-hour retards do shit like this?
>>
Concerned about FSU1018 on FlightRadar24 right now. It squawked 7700 about ten minutes ago, left a holding pattern, and their altitude has been slowly decreasing off the east coast of the UAE. Their heading data has been stuck on 339 degrees but the flight seems to have taken a right hand turn and dropped to 5200ft. Their heading data was wonky throughout after leaving the holding pattern.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ur-crn#26264fe9
They've just dropped off the radar right now.
I'm hoping it's just shitty coverage like last time when I checked that American Eagle flight.
>>
>>1578505
Comparing the same flight to one of its previous arrivals at Fujairah, where I initially thought it would be attempting to land from the east. I couldn't find any approach plates for the airport.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ur-crn#26220649
It doesn't look like the coverage is bad out there. The drop in coverage is now very concerning, especially after squawking 7700. This could be bad news.
>>
>>1578505
>>1578511
looks like someone is using that plane for a lot of stuff in and out of conflict areas in the horn of africa and yemen. if they wanted to keep a low profile they wouldn't have squawked 7700. I will be monitoring this.
>>
>>1578522
Fly Sky Airlines is also a relatively new airline too.
>Ukraine-based
Of fucking course. Ukraine has had a shitty year with their planes.
>>
twitter.com/xHINCulek/status/1331981238492651520
“Aviation safety geek” doesn’t like what he sees. I know aircraft on approach slow down and lose altitude as per the approach instructions, but is it bad to lose 70 knots of speed in 47 seconds?
>>
>>1578526
When I’m looking to get back to the airport quick I do 175 out of 11500 for 5000 and dump gear/flaps to stabilize at 85 on final. If unrestricted it’s fun and doesn’t take more than a minute.
>>
>>1578537
Okay, great to know.
Still no news about the flight, but a few other people on Twitter are taking notice. Hopefully either FlightRadar24 or Breaking Aviation News bring more attention to it soon.
By the way, does it feel a little weightless when you do that?
>>
>>1578526
>is it bad to lose 70 knots of speed in 47 seconds?
if that's data from flightradar or similar site, it's ground speed so it doesn't matter one bit and it says nothing about actual aicraft speed on which it flies
>>
i thought all the pilots were fired cuz rona wrecked the entire flying biz?
>>
File: 1448566269663.jpg (52 KB, 600x492)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
What is your thoughts on getting LASIK? I'm finishing my instrument rating soon and I'm thinking about getting it before starting my commercial training. My eyesight is pretty bad but correctable to 20/20 and if the surgery fucks up my eyes I'm not in too deep.
>>
Any airline niggers here? Hope you all had a good thanksgiving.
>>
>>1578011
Does AK really make sense for training? My program, which was supposed to take me to commercial, shut down in March before I'd even gotten my PPL and now I have to move in the next few months anyway. Always wanted to go to AK.
>>
>>1578779
>Does AK really make sense for training?
No. Go somewhere with good weather so you can fly often.
>>
I am intrigued but what he said with the AK training flying into the bush as a low-hour pilot, but I can't really find a lot on it.
>>
good news, that plane didn't crash, they're still operating
>>
>>1578543
Nah it feels normal until you chop the power, then it forces you into the seatbelt.
>>
>>1578791
There aren’t many low-hour pilots up there doing proper bush work for a reason. I couldn’t imagine the insurance rate for someone with like 250 hours doing backcountry work.
>>
File: 1591749300192.jpg (54 KB, 600x678)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>tfw you want to fly but then you listen to the ATC from the Frederick Airport mid-air collision in 2014
>>
>>1579309
I must be jaded because I listened after reading all the "I wish I hadn't listened" comments, and I was like "that's it?"
>>
Wew.....

https://youtu.be/9SoUmWYRLhE
>>
>>1579359
1. what the fuck were they thinking
2. is there no artificial horizon on gliders?
>>
>>1579379
read the description
>but in this particular glider there is no artificial horizon nor turn indicator
>>
>>1579379
>no artificial horizon on gliders?
That's pretty standard

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.