[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 73 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: o.jpg (336 KB, 940x705)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
Fixed Gear General
Cannondale track edition
>>
inb4 seething unracers
>>
I have this thought everytime I ride my old steel roadie. Aren't downtube shifters kind of like a step up from single speed? They're literally the most durable shifting system, and they're out of the way. You kind of just have this option to shift if you want, but its like a feature of the bike. Compared to STI's where you are shifting literally all the time.
Yea I dunno just a thought. Like if you had a rear hub gear with a downtube shifter, thats like only one step higher in complexity to a single speed.
>>
>>1575503
i live inside you
>>
File: filthyigh.jpg (120 KB, 702x395)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>1575527
hub gears are inefficient and heavy, outdated casual unracer tech
but yeah if you have a working road bike there isn't much reason to convert it to singlespeed, the conversion is usually done on bikes that aren't worth the maintenance/repairs
fixed gears are fundamentally different than freewheeling bikes though
>>
>>1575527
yes and classic roadie gearing is similiarily not wide enough like a ss just to a lesser extent
>>
>>1575563
i'm not OP but there's enough interest in them to justify a general imo, the cycling industry marketing machine favors road/gravel/mountain bikes but there are plenty of people out there who ride other types of bikes as well
>>
>>1575498
I’m thinking about getting a soma rush. Any thoughts on them?
>>
File: MG_2250_rush-elevator-2k.jpg (1.18 MB, 2000x1333)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>1575599
I like it except the quill stem.
don't buy a new frame with a quill steam/ threaded steerer.
quill stems are fine on old bikes but threadless is just categorically superior, especially on a bike that you have to throw the front end around to get up hills so that benefits greatly from increased stiffness there.
>>
how do i skid
>>
>snow melts
>decide to take my fixie out to bomb a handful of laps around the neighbourhood

>four punctures tires from road gravel
>broken spoke (not sure why)

G-guess I'll stick to the MTB until Summer...
>>
>>1575627
just b urself
>>1575650
>"bombing" on your fixie
>broken spoke
>4 punctures "from gravel"
sounds to me your tire pressure was too low and you were just pinch flatting. you're right, better stick to your mtb.
>>
>>1575650
>broken spoke (not sure why)
probably a poorly built wheel, common on cheap bikes, get a true & tension from an LBS if you replace the spoke or use it as an excuse to upgrade your wheels and tires also
>>
>>1575672
and squeeze the shit out of the spokes just in case the LBS won't do it properly themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_A6YzjcpBM
>>
>>1575672
>>1575675
LBS truing is usually shit because they're not going to "build" a wheel for you, they're just going to spot true without checking tension. They just want to collect your money and most customers are satisfied when the brakes stop rubbing. If you have to keep retruing, they're going to say the wheel is bad and sell you a new wheel.

Yes, a good shop hand can true a wheel properly, but there's no financial incentive for them to do so. The shops that do this will usually have a wheel building service and a mechanic that's anal about doing the job right. It also has nothing to do with old-school vs newer shops. It's entirely based on the analness of the mechanic, and it will never be cheap, although some shops will charge you expensive truing rates for a simple spot true because they can.

These shops will usually only have one mechanic, because junior mechanics aren't anal about their job, and if there's a junior mechanic, they're just going to spot true. This mechanic will usually be anal retentive and do things properly and by the book, and not the shop hand of an older shop that just bodges or knows neat gimmicky tricks. The shop will always have a wheel building service because the mechanic takes pride in wheel building.
>>
>>1575498
What cranks are those?
>>
>>1575683
yeah i meant for them to both bring up the tension and true it, basically build the wheel minus the lacing part, and i suggest an LBS because doing it yourself as a beginner without the proper tools will be tedious at best and a disaster at worst
>>
>>1575653
No retard my tires are always at precisely 120 psi
>>
>>1575686
I'm just gonna put the spindle in a vice and wing the tension with a screwdriver fuck it
>>
>>1575727
>making a taco
>>
>>1575725
>120 psi
lmfao
>>
>>1575599
I ride a 2003 rush, my buddy rides a newer one, not exactly >>1575602 's, but close enough. Mine's been great, but he's had some issues with droupout failures. The dropouts on mine don't have that little scalloping that the newer ones do, and we're pretty sure that's what caused the failure. but idk how hard you're gonna be riding it.
>>
>>1575725
>punctures 4 times and breaks a spoke on 120 psi tires
hmmm who's the retard I wonder
>>
File: bks.png (415 KB, 600x1221)
415 KB
415 KB PNG
kill fixies
>>
>>1575627
balls to stem on grass/leaves just to understand what muscles to use then you can try on the road
>>1575602
quills are cure tho uwu
>>1575922
correct order is road bike<mtb<gravel<8090mtb<singlespeed<track bike<city bike
>>
>>1575535
why isn't industry developed perfect sealing materials meant for bike pieces yet???... we have all those mindblowing hydrophobic materials and did no one have ever though of applying to bicycles??
>>
>>1575975
seals create drag
fully sealed hubs do exist though
schmidt dynamo hubs are supposed to spin, maintenance free, for like a million km.
>>
>>1575599
It has very nice tange steel tubing so it has a supple ride and can take corners very well.
>>
>>1575774
>>1575905
GOTTA GO FAST
>>
Also, I'll have you know that I've been riding on 120psi tires for seven years and have only had two punctures in that time. Even on dirt pathways through the forest a handful of times.
Tires indicate max pressure to be 120 psi, then they get 120 psi. This is a pro mechanic technique to save gas at the expense of broken ass.
>>
>>1576063
except rock hard tires aren't faster.
>>
>>1576064
you are a class-a retard
>>
File: jan heine.jpg (81 KB, 1200x479)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>1576107
They are, Jan Heine proved it with a chart that tires at maximum pressure are basically just as fast as "optimal" pressure.
>>
>>1576119
thanks for proving my point. the rubino clincher's performance degrades past 110psi. we're talking about 120psi+. read the fucking chart you post next time.
>>
>>1576121
Are you retarded? Do you not know what watts are?
>>
>>1576124
are you retarded?
>>
>>1576125
No, but clearly you are
>>
>>1576126
no u
>>
>>1576128
Again, do you even know what a watt is?
>>
>>1576130
no...u
>>
>>1576135
So you don’t know what watts are and don’t understand what the chart is saying about watts?
>>
>>1576137
...no u?
>>
>>1576138
Are you mentally stunted?
>>
>>1576139
are you?
>>
File: engine 11.jpg (278 KB, 1024x683)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
What the fuck is the point of riding a "street fixie" with drop/pista handlebars with no brakes when 90% of Fixiefags ride on the tops 100% of the time? (I pulled that percentage out of my ass).

Larping as a hardcore track racer even though they have never seen the inside of a Velodrome? Because muh Minimalism? I tried for a few weeks riding "crosstop" brake levers and after I decided to stop being a piece of shit, I installed hooded brake levers and the difference was night and day.

Reality check People. Riding on the hoods of hooded brake levers or whatever the fuck you call them are comfy as fuck, provide great leverage when climbing and look sick as fuck. And you can go even faster because you actually stop on a dime when you want to and don't have to take into account skidding distance.

Fuck Fixiefags and their gay "freestyle" bmx tricks. Wanna be a real rebel? Take advice from this 30 year old Boomer. Adopt the Racer™ Lifestyle. Be a good sport and install ergonomic brake levers and both brakes on your bike and actually stop at red lights faggotron. It's a massive flex when you gradually come to a halt when the lights go red, do a sick fucking trackstand and then nonchalantly completely destroy the nobrakes-fixie-bmxbandit who blasted through the red light a few moments after.
>>
>>1576213
well for once it depends on where you ride, i like to ride on the drops on long flat roads with little to no traffic and i don't have a brake simply because my rims have no brake track - on the other hand flatbars and bullhorns are comfier for slow city riding - and uhm riding on hoods is pretty much the same as riding on bullhorns
>>
File: EIRgMaKWwAAgPL8.jpg (93 KB, 658x439)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
is there anything as comfy as riding around the park and popping skids on fallen leaves? - it gives me so much joy uwu
>>
>>1576217
Thank you for reading my blogpost based "uhm poster". That's good to hear that you agree with me that riding on the hoods is superior for actually going fast and riding in heavy traffic.
>>
what ratios do you guys run, 46/16 here
>>
>>1576213
i can stop faster on a brakeless trackbike than you can on a road bike.
>>
>>1576226
46/17 - thinking about downgrading to 46/19
>>
>>1576227
No you can't and you know it too. and for your information champ, i also ride fixed.
>>
>>1576231
my old bike that got stolen was 35/16 and I honestly got by fine on that for city riding. sure you'll get dropped in a velodrome but I'm rarely sprinting in the city
>>
>>1576226
53/17 on my beater
49/17 on my gotta go fast bike
>>
>>1576142
You are clearly unable to read the chart despite accusing other people of doing so, then keep autistically repeating no u. Do you seriously not understand that lower watts is better?
>>
>>1576259
u srsly still replying
>>
>>1576265
Because you are so retarded. I want you to keep doubling down. It amuses me.
>>
>>1576242
lower ratios are better for the city imho, makes it easier to control your speed
>>1576251
shoundn't it be the opposite tho?
>>
thoughts on 8BAR bikes?
>>
>>1576064
Pure retard. Unless your riding on 20mm tires then maybe you do need 120psi. But then again why would your ride 20mm on the road.
Yea you're retarded.
>>
File: IMG_1127.jpg (1.74 MB, 3264x2448)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>1576251
>>1576280
No. The "bigger gear = faster" logic applies if you are riding on the track, but in real life, there are hills and shit.

49/17 is a moderate gear and feels better than 53/17. It makes sense to have a gear that feels nice on my "go fast" bike that I use to go on funrides between 1-3 hours. With a 49/17, I can comfortably ride between 30 and 35 kmh at a comfortable cadence between 80 and 95 rpm for hours. If i really put the hammer down, i can go 40kmh...But what would be the point of a higher gear? to increase my "top speed“? to be a macho man?? At the expense of having fun?

I have 53/17 on my beater because it’s my beater… It gets me around the city and to and from work fine. Because it has slightly heavier gearing that my "go fast“ bike. When I go out for a ride on my go fast bike, it feel like Piccolo when he takes off his weighed cape and turban. Btw, this is my Racer™ bike.
>>
>>1576213
100% agree, except you should cable the left lever to a bell like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs4QGFJUToc

a rear brake is not necessary.
>>
>>1576403
Wow. My post got you pretty worked up. What upset you exactly? That I enjoy my hobby? That I have a nice bike but took a shit picture of it on purpose?

if you don’t think 35kmh is a decent speed? I think you need a reality check.

Anyhow, whatever the reason for your negativity is... that doesn’t warrant calling me a mentally ill retard, anon. I think you need take a good hard look at yourself and to ask yourself where this anger is coming from...

But thanks for reading my post anyway and I hope you have a good day.
>>
>>1576380
That is a good idea anon but I live in Germany and German law mandated that a bicycle has two independently acting braking devices. I got stopped a couple weeks ago by the „bicycle police“ and I shit you not, they asked me to demonstrate that both my brakes work. I showed them that I have both brakes and they sent me on my merry way.

I have both brakes because I ride a lot and having fun is more important to me than looking cool. It would also bother me when one of my brake levers does nothing...
>>
>>1576213
i definitely think having brakes with drop levers is the way to go for out and out performance. i don't care about the street fashion aspect of riding a fixie or doing tricks. too bad there seems to be a lot of stigma about having a rear brake on a fixie so i had to second guess myself before deciding on it.

the rear brake isn't completely useless either
>don't have to use your legs to slow down as much (braking with your legs without skidding takes a lot of effort, and if you skid you take longer to stop and you wear your tires)
>scrub off speed to sync up with traffic
>trail brake to take corners faster
>brake safely on slippery surfaces
>even out the rim and brake pad wear between the front and the rear
>have a backup brake for when your front brake fails (road grit stuck in your brake pad, cable snap, lever failure etc)

i can see how people can cope with not having brakes or only having a front brake but with drop levers you can come closer to road bike levels of performance (in flatland) and ergonomics.
>>
>>1576226
48/17
>>
>>1576213
>whatever the fuck you call them are comfy as fuck
completely agree, bullhorns are way better than drops on a fixie, also makes it easier to skid

>Racer™ Lifestyle
a road bike in the city is fucking retarded
city riding is not about going fast, it's about going with the flow
braking makes no big difference when you know the streets

>virgin racer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wusNHV2I-2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHODP4U7Qd0

>chad fixie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_JNPTNbE4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ZxvOc8Lco
>>
>>1576427
Jesus Christ anon. You are now on a whole new level of seething...what hurt you anon?
>>
>>1576424
i'm not suggesting it does nothing
i'm suggesting it rings a bell

shame about the autism police though
>>
>>1576428
Yes these are some good points anon. But I live in the center of Berlin, I have to ride like 10km just to get out of the city lmao
>>
>>1575979
>seals create drag

well, yes, seals in direct contact with ball bearings, but
I'm talking about external seals, like the ones outside hubs, exactly between cones and locknuts, or the seal ones found in over size directions.

Im sure there are modern materials that doesnt let asingle drop of water to get inside bearings. it's really dumb that it isn't implementen on bikes yet.

btw fuck condesation.
>>
>>1575975
those internal gear hubs are cheap shits found on walmart tier european city bikes
supposedly the fancier ones like rohloff have better water resistance
>>
>>1575535
>>1576444
No need for seals with a Sturmey Archer. Just fill it up with oil in the oil port and the old oil and water leaks out where the seals would have prevented it from leaking.
>>
>>1576456
most casuals believe that they are maintenance free and would never fill it up with oil and you don't know if it's rusty on the inside without opening it up
>>
>>1576457
But there's an oil port on all British made things and that's why they have a reputation for leaking.
>>
>>1576213
Why are you so upset about other people's life decisions that have nothing to do with you? You're not retarded, are you?

To answer your question, it is because it feels tight and looks cool. Simple as.
It's like diving in the ocean butt naked; a feeling of nakedness, liberation and vulnerability. Your mind instantly goes into action mode because you know you have to be on the ball or lol u die. Also forces you to not be lazy and brake using your legs no matter how tired you are.

After I rode brakeless for 4 months I decided it was time to get a front brake after one too many close encounters and after realizing that it was retarded to ride without brakes on public roads.

It's still cool though, fuck you.
>>
>>1576475

Why do you think I'm upset or that I’m emotionally invested in the fact that some kids have no brakes? And asking me if I am retarded if just mean.. To be fair, I’m just expressing my opinion that having hooded brake levers is superior for performance as appose to having no brakes.

You confirm that riding without brakes is inherently more dangerous. And whats that you say? Having no brakes „trains yourself not to be lazy“? Lmao wut? You know what buddy? I use the energy that I save by using the brakes to actually pedal harder and go faster. I regularly smoke kids like you on the way to work every morning on my beater, without trying lmao.
>>
>>1576425
>>
>>1576267
you amuse me, champ.
>>
>>1576542
You’re the same poster that always just says no u when you say something retarded aren’t you
>>
>>1576428
the philipino kid is downright retarded, shutting rearview mirrors and flipping off random people like he tries so hard to imitate nyc messenger but ends up looking like an asshole
>>
>>1575599
A nice bike, though they used to have curved forks, and looked better for it.

>>1575602
>threadless is just categorically superior
Quill stems are beautiful. The highest praise ever heaped upon a threadless stem was: "that doesn't look too bad".

>>1576213
Riding on the hoods is top tier. This is a pic of my fixed gear:
>>>1575928

>>1576218
Honorable mention: skidding in dry snow, really tweaking it and kicking up a little spray, then looking back at your tracks. It's great fun, but those conditions are only around when it's cold as fuck outside...
So the situation you describe comes out on top. Also leaves have a comfy smell.

>>1576226
53/20, but I switch to 53/22 during the winter.
>>
>>1576426
I never understood why 48/17 is so popular.

If you decide to swap your cog out for a 16tooth cog, then you only have 1 skid patch. Or or if you want to make it easier, a 18 tooth cog will only skidpatch will only give you 3 skidpatches...

A 49 tooth chainring is a lot more versatile.
49/16 gives you 16 skidpatches and and 49/18 gives you 18.

Chad Prime number versus Virgin even number...
>>
>>1576835
>Quill stems are beautiful.
Threaded headsets are ugly.
>>
>>1576942
nonsense
>>
>>1576543
you're the same poster that needlessly engages with retards, aren't you?
>>
>>1576963
t. the retard
>>
File: IMG_8215.jpg (3.01 MB, 4032x3024)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
>>1576835
sweet ride. i also have a converted road bike as my everyday bike.
>>
>>1577001
btw. i now have flat pedals on this bike obviously and conti 4 seasons tyres.
>>
>>1576967
>assuming anyone is the same anon
>>
>>1577005
No u
>>
>>1577018
no u
>>
>>1576941
i've ridden a bike with 48/16 and 165mm and the gearing was too high for my riding conditions, the bike felt a bit sluggish to accelerate and it wanted to go exceed 40 km/h when the local speed limit is 30-40 km/h
48/17 with 170mm cranks is more like a goldilocks ratio for me with a good balance of acceleration and comfortable cadence at low-moderate speeds and still a good top speed (spinning with a 100+ rpm cadence is easier than newbs think because of articles saying that casuals ride with a 60 rpm cadence or something like that, and a 100+ rpm cadence isn't that inefficient when pedaling with high watts like when sprinting)
mid tier cranksets like sram s300 come with 48t chainrings, if i had gone with a vision track crankset i would probably be on 49/17
>>
>>1576941
also sheldon argued for even numbers of teeth, maybe with a narrow-wide chainring it would mesh really well with the chain
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-life.html
>>
>>1576941
also if you have a premium track cog it might be cheaper to swap out the chainring than the cog
>>
>>1577020
no u
>>
>>1577163
no, ~u~
>>
>>1576213
Someone needs to make a product that’s just brakeless hoods. Bar ends maybe?
>>
>>1577169
That's what bullhorns are for
>>
File: leader.jpg (189 KB, 1200x900)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
What's a reasonable offer for this frame (Leader 722ts)? That they don't have any price listed makes me think they want an unrealistic amount but I'm trying to build a beater for under $200, and the frame only goes for $300 new.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bop/d/brooklyn-leader-steel-bike-framewith/7231821627.html
>>
>>1577169
>brakeless hoods
it wouldn't look right, at that point you can hardly argue for some notion of vintage track racing aesthetics
>>
>>1577169
they exist
they're called dummy levers or stoker hoods (for tandems) like these Cane Creek ones.

It's not hard to make either. You just clamp a short cable run under the lever clamp to keep them tensioned and stop them rattling around and hacksaw off half the lever and sand/file it smooth

or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs4QGFJUToc
>>
>>1577269
some are spring loaded so they won't rattle
>>
>>1576311
>I can comfortably ride between 30 and 35 kmh at a comfortable cadence between 80 and 95 rpm for hours. If i really put the hammer down, i can go 40kmh
t. entered the wrong wheel diameter on a magnetic speedometer.
you absolutely, categorically, CANNOT sit at 20mph "for hours".
>>
>>1577311
lmao cope harder, you're just slow
>>
>>1577311
the current hour record is 34.23mph and the difficulty isn't linear, 20mph is very possible, don't forget that track bikes usually have a more aero and more powerful riding position than even most road bikes which tend to be more endurance oriented, and there's a drivetrain efficiency gain, and there's no coasting so you apply power more consistently over time
>>
>>1577313
>>1577320
ok, yes, but no. some anybody posting on 4channel who rides a bicycle for utility and recreational cycling is just flat out not going to be hitting those numbers, "track bike" or otherwise - even if they're a bike enthusiast and in good physical shape, the former of which at least I don't doubt. I suggest you measure your wheel size again, yourself, and make sure it's inputted correctly; the measurements that are listed in the little booklet that comes with the bike computer are often off by a long way.
>>
>>1576380
>a rear brake is not necessary
t. retard
>>
>>1577003
I do platform pedals & straps for short rides, but for longer rides I'll swap to Look Keo Classic w/ Mavic shoes.
Feels good man.

>>1577269
Can't stand those nubs.
>>1577280
This is the ticket, just get some levers w/ return springs. Old road levers usually have them.
>>
File: justride.png (69 KB, 680x560)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>1577311
>>1577390
(32.8kmh = 20.38mph)
Inb4 you move your goalposts again because you're too proud to admit being wrong after making retarded statements on a Mongolian claymation BBS. This is an average solo ride, no deep section wheels and certainly not out of the question for any recreational cyclist in moderate shape.

t. anybody posting on 4chan(nel)
>>
>>1577414
Yes, totally out of the question. Those are superhuman numbers.
>>
File: CPFX01RED.jpg (112 KB, 500x500)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>1576213
>braking from the hoods
may as well just use suicide levers at that point
>>
>>1577414
This is very discouraging.
>>
>>1577453
This doesn't make any sense. Do you always brake from the drops? Do you even have a bicycle?
>>
>>1577414
120 / 88 * 32.8 = 44.7
>>
File: 20201121_161336.jpg (2.19 MB, 4032x1908)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
Just built this frame back up after 6 years to cruise around on.
>>
File: surlysteamroller.jpg (163 KB, 640x426)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>1577648
5 spoke wheel...frame protector even though you have riser bars? that's a pretty solid reddit bicycle when I see one. I give you one upvote, champ.
>>
>>1577648
Based aerospoke

I truly think it’s the best rear wheel for a fixie, there’s just something about the way it rides
>>
does anybody have a download link or working torrent for the 2009 Council of Doom film?
>>
>>1577674
lol, frame protector was basically crusted on there from being there 8 years. got lazy
>>
>>1577770
Im not sure why you have to emphasise how long you have had the bike...have you ridden the bicycle in the last 6 years anon?
>>
Follow up on:
>>1575650
>>1575727

>Pulled another spoke off and went to LBS to get a handful of them custom made.
>Managed to re-install them after a bit of fuckery.
>Since I lack spoke tools I had to resort to sticking a flathead screwdriver through the rim to tighten the little caps.
>Decided to flip bike upside down in order to use front forks as truing stand.
>My wheel is now a taco
>One hour of autistic fuckery with the screwdriver and an insane amount of eyeballing later my wheel now spins like a swiss clock.
>Decided to only inflate tire to 110 psi after the screeching itt (for trial run only)

Everything turned out better than expected! I've concluded that you don't need expensive, specialty tools or professional help to fix your own damn bike.
>>
>>1575498
hello niggers, should I ride a fixie on the road without a brake?
>>
>>1578696
yes.
>>
>>1577001
That poor miyata :(
>>
>>1577218
If you're building a beater then building a frame up seems dumb. Why not just get a shitty old road bike and a rear track wheel, call it a day? You could do that for sub $250
>>
>>1575939
I should try on grass never thought of that
>>
>>1576213
I was 100% going to get brakes on my fixie, which came with a drop bar mind, but then I learned to stop without them and now I don't care
>>
>>1576403
I think he prefers the agility
>>
>>1577001
raise your stem
>>
I ride toe clips. Can I skid on these? I tried straps and they just didn't feel as good. Not as secure. But I feel like the back pedaling pressure is less than ideal on the clips. Do double strap clips have more security? Or are they just a visual difference?
>>
>>1577414
I dunno that's pretty impressive I'd pass out if I did that
>>
>>1578783
it was on a bike with gears though
>>
>>1578772
yeah a full build with a half decent frame etc with that kind of budget doesn't seem realistic
>>
>>1576560
it's really douchey and i downvoted the video, but i kinda see both sides, some motorists and pedestrians act like fucking spastics, sometimes they're blatantly breaking the law and being reckless but the cops aren't there to enforce it, other times they're just being annoying, dutch cruiser bikes have lousy performance and on top of that you get bullied in traffic when you ride them on the road, with a fixie you're in a much better position to keep up with city traffic and you can be an edgelord and bully others if you want to
>>
I have flown to and from Asia dozens of times, and I also am a big fan of LOST, among other things.

Back when I was younger, I used to fantasize about my plane ditching in the far North. Either in Siberia or Alaska. That stretch between Lake Baikal and the far reaches of rural North Alaska is insane. From the rough tundra with endless melt lakes, to the mountain peaks of North America which you could almost reach out and touch from the plane window. I love that shit. Not gonna lie, I wouldn't expect to survive long if I survived the initial crash. But it's great to think about. Wintertime plane crashes are brutal, but at least you'd catch some glimpses of really serene beauty before cashing in.
>>
>>1578074
You could of saved yourself a lot of time if you just let the LBS fix your wheel lmao
>>
>>1578770
I would still be riding it today as a road bike. But I had a crash and ending up fucking up my front wheel back and rear deraileur. The exage groupset was mediocre and the biopace chainrings felt shit. Converting this bike was the best decision I made. Now it is actually fun to ride. The drivetrain is completely silent. The only problem is that I have to use one of these bad boys to get the chain the right chain the right length every time I put on a new chain.
>>
>>1579167
I forgot the pic.
>>
>>1578780
No way man. I am very flexible and this is comfortable for me. The bike has a tall headtube compared to modern road bikes and the stem is 100cm long. Even though the stem is slammed, the bars are still higher than my modern bike which has 20mm spacers and a positive stem.
>>
>>1578696
Hello. Yes definitely. It is what all the cool negros are doing.
>>
>>1577648
Hello fellow Redditor. I too have more money and taste and enjoy photography more than cycling.
>>
>>1579668
It’s only half a cm. Can you really tell the difference famalan?
>>
>>1579726
you think that's a photobikefag tier bike photo?
>>
>>1579726
I wish I had more money and taste.
>>
>>1577648
fixiefags, do you deliberately want to avoid good grip rear tyres to aid skidding? How does that work?
>>
>>1579729
Yes. Are we now going to argue about whether the photo is good or not?
>>
>>1579744
it's clearly a photo focused on the bike more than on being a photo
like, you can see the bike clearly. That's all you might say positively about it as a photo. No one interested in photos but not bikes would be at all interested in it. It's a fine bike photo. But it's not a good photo.

what you said is a real criticism but what you leveled it at is just abject nonsense.

even as a fashionfag fixie the bike itself is severely lacking. Having a brake for one. The trifag bottle holder. An extra link in the chain for comfy spec, Disgusting. Mismatching tyres. Valves not matching up. The top tube protector protecting from nonexistant drop bars.

as a fun bike to ride it's solid as fuck.
>>
>>1579668
I was strongly considering switching to 165 for a long time because I almost died hitting the ground during cornering at high speed more than a few times. Glad I didn't.
>>
>>1579738
yes
>>
>>1579729
i don't care either way and that anon is salty as fuck. but the photo does like it has had some effort put into it (cropping, sharpening, color grading) and it might have been taken with an actual camera rather than a phone.
>>
>>1580046
Bike fit is in itself completely autistic with all its variables, saddle tilt, fore/aft, stackheight, reach...flexibility..etc.. it’s more of an art than a science.. But for me, it makes sense to have the most aerodynamic position that is still comfortable.
>>
>>1580049
you'd have the same hood position if you tilted your bars down and raised your stem slightly.
really the metal of the levers should be at a 90° angle to the ground and the end of the drops should be between parallel to the ground and pointing at your rear brake caliper, and they're outside that extreme.
I suspect you tilt your bars up so far to compensate for arbitrarily slamming your stem and that the drops position itself is near totally unusable.
Also, that you could achieve the same amount of aero with a higher stem, by bending your elbows slightly, which would be more comfortable.

slamming your stem isn't even a quill stem meme either
>>
>>1580052
Yes and no. This is going to annoy you but this is an old picture from a few years ago, before I got my fit dialed in. The bars are now tilted more downwards and the stem is completely slammed (yes it goes deeper). I’ve experimented with stem stem height a lot. I’ve came to the conclusion, that I like having weight distributed towards the front end, having bent elbows and supporting my weight with my core. It feels good and is more fun to ride when the stem is slammed. Feeling good and going fast is my priority when riding a bike and it should be yours too. I don‘t give a rats ass that my fit isn’t „time period correct“ and that slamming quill stems isn’t a meme because I am not a retrogrouch, I’m not larping as a 90‘s Tour de France rider.. Besides, everybody is built differently.
>>
I'm thinking about switching to clipless - what kind of pedals should I look into? I want to avoid accidentally unclipping since I bump skid a lot
>>
>>1575498
Been biking on one of these for about 2 months 12 miles a day. At first it sucked ass, I thought I wasn't gonna be able to stick with it. But now I've cut my route time to almost half and my legs are out of proportion to everything. Love this shit, never have to adjust derailleurs and I'm jacked
>>
>>1580190
if you are the kind of person who "bump skids a lot", I don't think clipless pedals would be good for you lmao
>>
>>1580190
spds will unclip if you just pull up on them hard enough
i've done it a bunch just riding a road bike
there's a tension setting like ski bindings and it doesn't happen if you max it out but it's still something that is mechanically possible with enough force.

spd-sl do not have that tension setting and i've ridden them for years and never unclipped accidentally once in, except when i broke a cleat. That only happens on very old worn cleats too so you can avoid it by simply replacing the cleats semi regularly.

so i'd say spd-sl is the real safe bet. Although this is not a fixiefag perspective.
>>
>>1580250
Nice. Good job anon. Keep it up.
>>
>>1580190

I use spds and have done a few long rides with them this past summer and found them way more enjoyable than flats. You can adjust the tension for unclipping if you're finding a hard time of staying clipped in or clipping out at a stop.

As for skids I can only say to watch for your ankles since cycling shoes don't offer a lot of ankle support and you can really hurt yourself or snap the ankle itself if you skid the wrong way.
>>
I need front brakes/pads/cable and lever

Any recommends? Ty anon
>>
>>1575602
Beautiful.
And yes the stem makes it elegant.
>>
>>1576213
>t.boomer knees hurt
>>
>>1580849
any 105 or better shimano road brake, goldfinger or similar brake lever, kool stop pads
>>
>>1580849
campagnolo chorus
excellent modulation
works optimally with standard short pull levers
the newest version uses shimano style brake pads, not the spring thing that people complained about
slim gloss black minimal logo aesthetics
>>
>>1580858
My knees feel great anon. Thanks for your concern and for reading my post.
>>
File: tt.jpg (126 KB, 1000x500)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>He prefers low flange hubs
>>
File: DTSwissClassicTrackHubset.jpg (236 KB, 1200x1200)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>1581807
i beg your pardon?
>>
File: trottvomit.jpg (85 KB, 634x400)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>1581813
>That truly anaemic spoke count
>>
>>1581876
it's normal with stiff modern rims, for example borg31 has the same spoke count, and i used dt alpine iii spokes which are on the beefier side
>>
>>1581876
>posts pic with trispokes
What did he mean by this?
>>
Why are high flange hubs even a thing?
>>
>>1581939
Because they are “stiffer”, whatever the hell that means...but mostly because they look cool.
>>
>>1581876
God I wish I were that bag.
>>
File: hub_dura_njs36h_02_l_3.jpg (111 KB, 950x633)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>1581948
The Suzues are cool, I've never used them and don't know much about the cup and cone quality; are they any good anon?
Do they come with a lockring, or has it been left off for "aesthetics?"
>>
>>1581948
I mean, the logical conclusion to that is to extend the flange all the way out to the rim.
>>
File: disc.jpg (102 KB, 769x769)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>1582037
Aw shucks anon, someone already thought of that.
>>
>>1581939
>>1581948
Some old, as in 70's 80's racing bikes had them, because they would actually throw down enough torque, and lateral forces to matter. It's mostly a change in the angle of the spokes.

With modern wheelsets and MTB tech, even ernst gargan on a downhill run wouldn't need them.

And high flange low spoke count sets are like buffalo wrapped melon sherbert hi ten fixies.
>>
File: tfw strokeposter.jpg (154 KB, 1941x1846)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>1582045
>like buffalo wrapped melon sherbert hi ten fixies.
>>
File: 273826-01-d-548531.jpg (84 KB, 789x789)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>1582045
modern downhill hubs are pretty thicc
>>
>>1581992
Based
>>
>>1581876
this is my fetish
>>
>>1575535
>usually done on bikes that aren't worth the maintenance/repairs
AKA bum bikes
>>
>>1583345
>The virgin unnecessarily complex geared hub vs the Chad singlespeed/fixed cog.
>>
Are there any NJS brands to avoid? Any that aren't considered worth the premium price that NJS bikes usually command? I was looking at an Eimei.
>>
>>1584830
You should not get NJS, as you have no clue what you're doing.
>>
>>1584830
Kashimax
>>
>>1584830
>2020
>paying extra for NJS
https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/326237-njs-framebuilders-hierarchy.html
>>
>>1584920
Sanrensho non keirin frames are kino tho
>>
>>1584830

>NJS
>brand

lolwut, so you want to buy a track bike?
>>
>>1582036
Suzue hubs haven't been cup & cone for a decade now

>>1578074
Just carry a spoke wrench ffs
>>
>>1578074
inb4 spoke tension is completely uneven and the wheel tacoes again the second you hit a pothole

Also what the fuck tire are you running at 110 psi?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (451 KB, 1249x937)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
>>1579668
>One thing I noticed about 48/16 is it wears unevenly since the wheel always accelerates at the same spot. When I rotate the wheel, the drivetrain is significantly more worn at specific spots that it's way more difficult to get the drivetrain to run silently smooth without a lot of track slack.
i don't think your chain length matching up with your chainring size is doing you any favors in terms of even drivetrain wear mate
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/FixedGearBicycle/comments/jgvejp/finally_done_4625_ultimate_travel_fixie_another/
>>
File: spin2win.webm (2.22 MB, 1152x648)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB WEBM
>>1585208
huh, nice catch, I eyeballed sizing my chain so I never noticed that. It's also stretched to all hell, it used to barely fit the dropout but now it's halfway out. My drivetrain is so unevenly worn because I always start from a stop left foot forward and track stand and basic tricks at almost every light, always left foot forward as well
>>
So I flipped the.wheel and.used the fixed cog, all cool and interesting then after 2 days i noticed a noise that I assumed was the chain getting a little bit loose and decided to leave it like that until this morning when I discovered that the noise was coming from the loose chainring bolts, the crank itself was loose too, am i missing something here besides tightening the whole thing more ? chainring is basically new but cranks are used road ones (square taper), should the bolts fit perfectly in the crank / chainring holes ?
>>
So I was mashing around town, going stupid and popping unnecessarily long skids on the wet asphalt, all of a sudden I head a clank sound and my chain got loose - bear in mind my rear axle sits as deep as possible in the dropouts so I highly doubt my wheel slipped forward - did I just stretch my chain o fucked up my cog perhaps?
>>
>>1587454
Double check the square on the crank, make sure it's still square. Then torque everything to spec. A fixed drivetrain needs careful attention to torque specs and chain tension because it sees more stress than a freewheeling one.
>>1587472
Any visible damage like missing teeth to the chainring or rear sprocket? If none, it's possible you skipped a teeth or fucked a link in the chain or worse, bent chainstays, check if they're still straight. That's what I'd check, first the sprockets, then inspect each link, then the frame. If it all looks good, retension to 1-2cm+/-and hope to God it doesn't pop while riding.
>>
>>1587472
And +1 for the Tintin img. I have a dog just like Snowy
>>
>>1587472
A chain plate cracked maybe?
>>
>>1587500
>bent chainstays
whaaaat? is that possible?
>>1587503
just checked, chain looks fine. no broken plates. maybe i just bent my axle
>>
>>1587506
It's possible but the least likely scenario, it'd be the worst outcome though. The chain and seat stays on my old and tired fixie was kinda warped because it was a cheap shit tier AL frame and I abused the shit out of it like riding down stairs and curbs every chance I got.
>>
>>1587506
Now that you mentioned axle, check your axle lock nuts. I remember a few times my hub got loose and it made my chain and wheel seem loose.
>>
>>1587508
Hub lock nuts I mean, while you're at it might as well check the BB for play too.
>>
if only i rode it instead of staying inside depressed all day playing video games
getting it winter-ready since i wont be sledding on gatorskins like last year, whats a good knobbly wheel that doesnt freeze?
>>
>>1588351
If you are so convinced about safety, then get a front brake bro.
>>
>>1588373
If my problem is teaction then a brake isnt going to help
I get your point though
>>
>>1588351
can you even fit something with knobs in there?
>>
>>1588351
>>1576287
>>1575498

NO BRAKES???

Please hit me when I'm walking.
Run into my car, please.

If you own your own home, then you will give it to me.
>>
>>1588391
plenty of room i think, pic related are 32c
>>
>>1588398
ah yeah that'll do
I'd look for CX tires, 33mm in width (but actually often a bit wider IRL) and plenty of choices for whatever terrain you're planning on riding through
>>
>>1588396
*steals your pizza from your hand*
*breaks your mirror*
Heh nothin personel kid
>>
>>1588351
Heh is that a POS State Bicycle?
I like your stickers :3
>>
>>1576428
>All that skidding by the "chad Fixie"
How bald are those tires?
>>
>>1588351
gravel kings
>>
Good morning, FGG
Flipped my wheel and rode into worked on fixed gear this morning, have a couple of questions.
Do I need foot retention if I'm not riding brakeless?
Is starting and stopping just about developing muscle memory?
>>
>>1590232
>Do I need foot retention
Yes.
>Is starting and stopping just about developing muscle memory?
Yes. Until you do, be actively mindful.
>>
>>1577674
Fun looking
>>
>>1590266
Thanks
>>
>sudden urge to build a fixie/single-speed as a project bike and to learn more about bike maintenance in general
>coof has caused prices on anything remotely bike related to skyrocket
All I want is something to tinker with at the weekends and take out and ride without worrying too much about trashing it, is that too much to ask?
>>
I am not familiar with track bikes or urban fixed gear frames. I just picked this up the other day and am wondering who made the frame? It has a Mash SF sticker on the headtube and is lugged with a threaded fork.
>>
>>1591949
>>
>>1591949
Also was wondering what a good starting point for gearing is that maximizes skid patches but is pedalable.
>>
What are some singlespeed/fixed gear frames without the whole track autism? I want more comfy geo, ability to mount two brakes (maybe even cantis or v-brakes?) and some allowance for thicker tires. Still would like track ends and 120mm spacing though, so no old road bike conversion.
>>
>>1591993
120mm spacing is track autism
>>
>>1591993

Surly steam roller
Soma rush

if you can fine one, a brooklyn machine works frame.
>>
>>1591949
https://www.bikeforums.net/northern-california/248928-velodrome-oakland.html
>>
>>1591993
Bianchi San Jose
>>
>>1592009
Awesome!!! Thanks for the lead. I knew it was a nice frame but didn’t know it was from a custom frame builder.
>>
>>1591942
>too much to ask?
yes, also pedojoe is not my president
>>
>>1586936
your cities homeless have weird tents
>>
>>1592071
Nice, this looks like what I want.
Doing some more research myself I found out that this kind of bike is often called "tracklocross" and I also found the Brother Allday that has canti bosses as well.
>>
>>1592200
>combining memes
>fixiefags still haven't learnt their lesson about muh minimalism even when they are actively struggling against it
>>
>>1591993
Surly, Soma, All City
>>
File: 1604832339274.jpg (483 KB, 1041x1935)
483 KB
483 KB JPG
>>1591993
>Still would like track ends and 120mm spacing though
literally why? you have some nice track wheels you want to use?

>what are some track frames without track autism but with track autism
>>
>>1592224
>literally why?
Compatibility mostly. Going singlespeed or fixed gear with a wider hub is a complete mess from what I've seen and parts availability is just not given.
>>
>>1592235
yeah track hubs are nicer anyway. but the selection of prebuilt track wheels is very limited at least in europe so unless you're riding brakeless or are satisfied with babby tier wheels you'd be best off custom building them which is actually not terribly expensive or difficult to do yourself.
>>
>>1592235
>with a wider hub
You mean "wider rear triangle"
>a complete mess
Yeah, if you're a brainlet
>parts availability is just not given
???
Axle spacers are literally just washers
For longer axles, just take apart some old hub from eBay/your local coop, or buy a nice one from Wheels Mfg.
>>
>>1592546
Yeah I think I'd rather get a nice new frame that has exactly what I'm looking for rather than doing all that bullshit.
>>
>>1592567
i think if you see basic mechanical stuff as complicated nonsense you'd be better off buying a complete bike, from a shop, who will service it for you
>>
>>1592569
I don't see it as complicated. I see it as needless busywork. I have very clearly stated that what I want is a dedicated frame for singlespeed. I don't care to ever convert it to geared because I already have a bike for that so why would I go for any other hub spacing than 120mm and deal with adding spacers and adjusting chainline?
>>
>>1576259
lol it's not. Higher power is better. Problem with the chart is that the sample size seems to be small.
>>
>>1592546
how is adding spacers and a longer axle a more elegant solution than having a frame with the correct spacing in the first place?
>>
Why don't all bikes come with some sort of foot retention? I flipped my hub and threw on some strapped pedals and while I don't think I like the fixed gear aspect, being able to use whatever muscle is directly under my thigh to pull up versus only alternating sides pushing down feels like a world of difference
>>
>>1592732
because normalfags
>>
>>1592576
>spending more watts to go the same speed is better
Do you ride without a helmet?
>>
>>1592732
it's so you can choose your own pedal/shoe system, including fancy clipless pedals on a prebuilt bike would be a waste when a lot of customers would just take them off, better to include some cheap plastic pedals for test rides and for normies or not include pedals at all
>>
>>1577674
>rear brake
>>
>>1595719
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>1595724
Good one, kid.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1355yV-eCUI
>>
File: td262bl (1).jpg (243 KB, 1500x1500)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
Is the Cinelli tutto plus the ultimate commuter fixie?

steel tubing
V-brakes
clearence for 45c tyres
bottle mounts,
mounts for fenders
a mount for a fucking derailer...
mounts for front and back rack..
cable routing for back brake..
>>
>>1599539
all city nature boy
>>
>>1599594
are you retarded? that's not even the answer to the question I asked.

the nature boy doesn't even have eyelets for fenders...eyelets for front and back rack, let alone full cable routing
>>
>>1599539
>ultimate commuter fixie
kinda, it has all the specs and mounts for a utility fix except it's a little too nice. Cinelli brand catches a lot of attention so in a bad area the lock would get cut and the bike gone in no time. Utility fix is a very niche corner of cycling so there aren't a lot of base bikes to begin with.
>>
>>1599792
I don't think so.. When people get their bikes stolen, it's their fault for not using a good lock or not locking their shit up properly..

Your bike will never get stolen if you lock the front wheel & frame with a one lock and the backwheel & frame with another lock.

and the bike only costs 1000€. it goes for 900€ with 5€ shipping on santafixie.com. I will order it when it's back in stock there..
>>
>>1599539
brake levers on the tops is wrong for drop bars
your braking position should be where you have the most control of the bike (further out, more leverage). If the tops are your primary position on drop bars, they're too far forward/low.

There's also a huge contradiction. It's got wide tires for ride comfort, but a straight blade fork? It doesn't have disc brakes. The fork doesn't need to be rigid for braking. A large part of the comfort of a comfy rigid rim brake bike, comes from a curved fork, which very clearly bends quite a lot when riding over bumps. That's passive suspension. So here's this bike focused towards ride comfort, and it's cucking you on the primary advantage it might possibly have for ride comfort, as a rim brake steel frame.
Not to mention the fork looks like a crashed out fork replacement that doesn't match at all. Wtf?
I wouldn't buy it because of the fork.

All the bosses, the v-brake studs, the clearance, that stuff is cool. The paint on the frame is gorgeous too.

the cable stops and derailer hanger are retarded. That's a step too far in the versatility direction. At that point, get a different bike.

and the tyres are wrong. They should be slicks.
>>
>>1599907
Dude, it’s a picture of a stock bike...
>>
>>1599916
You could change anything on the bike...
And it’s always good to appreciate things for what they are and not to criticise them for what they aren’t... you are even criticising the bike for being too versatile? Lol what?

I personally would also put on some hooded brake levers... it wouldn’t be dealbraker for me..Yes it’s a straight fork? So what? It’s fun... everybody enjoys a nice straight fork. and everybody knows the major contributing factor for comfort is the size of the tyres.. you could put skinny tyres on it in winter and massive tyres on in winter..

It’s very rare for a fixed gear bike to even eyelets for fenders...
>>
>>1599920
*Summer
>>
>>1599920
>And it’s always good to appreciate things for what they are and not to criticise them for what they aren’t

>only say good things
>don't say bad things
um. how about both, when warranted?
>>
>>1599920
>you are even criticising the bike for being too versatile? Lol what?
yeah. it's stupid for a fixie frame to be built able to convert to a geared bike
it's just an ugly waste of money
having the ability, or doing it

a big part of the appeal of these bikes is minimalist aesthetics. I'm all for utility but that's just a step too far. And hell. why not just make it geared then to begin with?
>>
>>1599926
That RD hanger eyelet is for a chain tensioner, not to convert it with an RD.
>>
>>1599943
bullshit lol
chain tugs/ set screws don't require that.
it's a derailer hanger
>>
>>1599943
No it’s for a derailleur. The bike even have cable routing for a rear derailleur.
>>
>>1599920
Why so much hate? Do you actually habe anything positive to contribute or are you just going to whine? You do realise just because you don’t like something doesn’t make it bad? It’s okay for different people to like different things..

Got anything to add? Maybe that you don’t like them colour?
>>
>>1599949
wrong reply?
>>
>>1599950
Yes I am retarded also I am going to buy this bike when it’s available because.... as far as I know, another fixed gear with all the features I listed doesn’t exist in Europe. 900€ is not much money in the grand scheme of things and it’s okay to own multiple bicycles and not everything has to be perfect.
>>
File: 1610837846549.jpg (151 KB, 1000x1000)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>1599539
you shouldn't really need more than 28-32mm good quality tires
there are many ways to put bottles on a bike
fenders are overrated and can make toe overlap worse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njyuqrNVZC8
why should a fixie have a derailleur mount, are you really going to convert it to a road bike...
racks are overrated, you can have frame bags etc, if you're really going to load it up you'll wish you had gears, touring fags always make a big fuss about having super low gears
the cable routing might interfere with a frame bag
it should have hooded brake levers, a brake lever on the tops only really makes sense for muh minimalism
it's a pretty cheap build on an expensive frame, miche x-press wheels are not fancy
it's your choice, just trying to help you understand why not everyone is as enthusiastic about it as you are
>>
>>1599907
>There's also a huge contradiction. It's got wide tires for ride comfort, but a straight blade fork?
it also has pretty much a modern track geometry with a 74.5-75.5 seat tube angle so it's not what you would expect from a more road/gravel/touring style geometry with like a 72-73 degree seat tube angle
>>
File: Download (2).jpg (13 KB, 225x225)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
Ok. I’m bored. So I’m going to write the longest post anybody has ever written.

There are many ways to put bottles on a bike? Are you complaining that the bicycle has water bottle cage mounts? Are you serious?

Who said anything about touring? it’s not a touring bike, it doesn't pretend to be one either.. I said it would be an excellent bike for commuting. Bikes with aggressive geometry are fun.. Do you like having fun? And why would toe overlap be an issue? Do you have problems with toe overlap?

Fenders are overrated? the fact that you have linked a GCN video leads to me believe that a) you never ride when it's wet outside and b) you have never used full fenders. In the GCN video you linked, they are using clip-on “half fenders”, these are notoriously shit, they are better than nothing, but they are nothing compared to full-length fenders.. half-length fenders do nothing to prevent water splashing into the headset and the brakes from getting gunked up.

However, full-length fenders are excellent at stopping dirty water being kicked up. You would know this if you have ever ridden a bicycle with full-length fenders when the street is wet. Because the Tuto plus has very wide tyre clearance and V-brakes, it has room for full-length fenders.
>>
File: 7icxwnuor2b21.jpg (120 KB, 960x720)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
The cable routing may interfere with the frame bag? This makes no sense. Do you go on “adventure rides” with your fixie with a frame bag? Who uses a framebag? When did I ever mention that I would use a framebag for a bicycle that I will use for commuting and picking up groceries?

Criticising the brake levers on a stock bike is ridiculous. You might as well say you don’t like the saddle.. it’s ridiculous criticizing something that you could change in 5 minutes. Have you ever bought a stock bicycle? The whole is greater than the sum of parts. I could sell any of the parts I don’t like and buy new ones and I would still be better off than when I bought all the parts individually and built the bicycle from scratch. The bike costs 1000€ stock. If you just buy the frameset alone, it costs 800€… You do the math anon.

A straight fork is excellent. Have you seen a gravel bike with a curved fork?

I'm not going to buy it just so I can convert it to a road bike. I never implied that I would do this. But maybe I would like to consider doing so in 10 years using parts out of part bin.. But probably not..because I only like riding fixed. Who cares?
>>
File: Unbenannt-18LWoRdxdcMDvd.jpg (103 KB, 1200x1200)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
And this is going to get you really butthurt..
but THIS is the stock bike on santafixie.com and bike-mailorder.com that costs 900€. I am just waiting until it's back in stock.

could anything else to criticize? maybe that you don't like the handlebars? but please bear in mind that the frameset alone costs 800€ in europe. Google it if you don't believe me.
>>
File: boring as usual 2.webm (832 KB, 1920x1080)
832 KB
832 KB WEBM
>>1600439
>>1600441
>>1600442
Ok, I'll bite, as a utility fixed rider that rides for a living. I was the one that said it's a nice base bike for an ute build but it's going to get stolen in a bad neighborhood, but you do live in the EU where bike theft isn't as bad as it is here in the US. I like the bike you posted but IMO, you're paying double for Cinelli tax. A good budget comparison would be a Kilo WT, it's half the price and has all the same utility fix features except the derailleur mount. It isn't shipped to the EU directly but it's a good comparison. Now let me tackle your arguments since I have today off from riding and that makes me irritable enough to argue.
>Water bottles
Necessary but unaesthetic in most cases and I hate to admit this but riding a fixie is half fashion. 1 bottle is enough for casual commuting but if you do any extended rides, 1 bottle isn't enough. There's many different water bottle mounting options so this isn't really something to argue about.
>Aggressive geometry
Yes, they're fun, but if you plan to haul any heavy loads with a front rack, the aggressive geometry will fuck you when you get too comfortable. Hell, you don't even need to be hauling anything for aggressive geometry to fuck you. Let me tell you, track geometry is sketchy as fuck and even more so in rain/snow. If you plan to ride it everyday like I do, be prepared to eat shit at least once.
>Fenders
I agree with you here
>Frame Bags
It's nice, especially for touring, but for everyday commuting and grocery getting t's overkill. I'm a backpack > bikepack guy anyways so yeah, I'm going to be biased here.
>Brake levers
whatever floats your boat
>straight fork
IMO off set is more important than whether your fork is straight or curved
>Derailleur hanger for a horizontal dropout frame
Useless and it being unused looks ugly and out of place, besides if you give up on fixed/singlespeed, you can always go the more based option; IGH
>anything else to criticize?
V-brakes are yuck
>>
>>1600442
One more thing to criticize I just realized about that bike, I already said yuck to V-brakes but that also just made me realize V-brakes are long pull while road calipers are short pull meaning your brake lever selection is going to be limited to hybrids, cruisers, and mtb levers. There's very few long pull road bike brake levers
>>
dude, you are just complaining for the sake of complaining. you are grasping at straws..painting out absurd hypothetical situations... do you actually have anything nice to say? a suggestion for a bike which is better for commuting?

what is it you are trying to say? that I should buy a 6061 black label? a bike that I do not want because it doesn't have: two bottle mounts, eyelets for fenders, ability to mount full-length fenders, cable routing for back brake...you know, features that I want.
>>
>>1600464
Of course I'm complaining for the sake of complaining, you're hyping a bike to be more than another bike and you're asking everyone here for approval. What more do you want?
>what is it you are trying to say? that I should buy a 6061 black label? a bike that I do not want because it doesn't have: two bottle mounts, eyelets for fenders, ability to mount full-length fenders, cable routing for back brake...you know, features that I want.
When did I recommend a Black Label? In fact, I'm going to now recommend that you don't want a utility fix with track geometry, a novice such as yourself without no idea what he wants will get himself hurt on track geo for the street.

What I'm saying is you're spending a lot for what you plan is going to be a beater bike. Those features you listed are on practically every bike so let me ask, why build a Cinelli utility fix when you can get all those features at half the cost with a Kilo WT or hell now that I'm recommending shit, why not buy an even nicer gravel bike for the same cost that has all the same features without the Cinelli tax?

Exactly what I assumed, you want a fixed gear fashion bike
>>
>>1600470
what are you talking about? you posted a video of a black label... and why do you presume I am a novice? You are the novice... you don't have any idea about fenders...

1000€ is not a lot of money, for a person without a car... 1000€ is literally the money I save every year from not riding public transport in my city.. If you think that's a lot of money, then maybe you are poor man.. If you ride a 1000€ bike for 5 years, then the bike costs 200€ a year.. and if you ride it 10 years, it only costs 100€ a year.

If you think are so good at riding bikes, post a picture of your bike and I'll post a picture of mine.
>>
As a bike tinkerer (hoarder) type I totally see the appeal of that cinelli. It's a frame you can just have around and be constantly building up and tearing down with stuff from the parts bin or random parts you can get craigslist deals on. Tons of meme potential.
>>
>>1600464
https://www.reddit.com/r/FixedGearBicycle/comments/ekvyde/fg_frames_with_wider_tire_clearance/
>>
File: boringbike.jpg (216 KB, 1590x1192)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
>>1600472
>If you think are so good at riding bikes, post a picture of your bike and I'll post a picture of mine.
That Black Label was my bike and I've been through several utility fix builds. I've been a courier for close to 6 years, riding a utility fixed every day and I've been on a bike before my memory even began. I've been on a bike almost everyday my whole life, I can confidently say I'm a better biker than I am at walking.
>>1600473
Now that's a cool aspect I didn't think about but... I'm going to go back and say, it's too nice a frame for parts bin meme builds. At least, too nice new but after a few years when the frame is nicely worn, I can see the appeal in that
>>
>>1600478

Great. A list of frames with wide tire clearance that use V-brakes.. The Cinelli Tuto is literally in this list. It is the only one that is available in Europe. That and the Squid So-EZ frame...which I do not want because it doesn't have fender eyelets...

what kind of bikes do you have dude? i would love to see a picture.
>>
>>1600480
dude.. maybe if you had a real job, you would have enough money to buy a nicer bike.
>>
>>1600485
if you're such a baller get some nicer wheels it doesn't have to be carbon you can get some borg31 or custom build some dt swiss track wheels. those 32 spoke wheels are babby tier, the miche xpress wheelset weighs like 2.3kg.
>>
>>1600485
Maybe, it's true I don't make a lot but I have no debt and have been fortunate to be born into a family invested in real estate in my city so I have zero expenses in life but taxes, food, drugs, and bike stuff, so I could afford a nicer bike, it just wouldn't make sense for me to work with too nice of a bike.
>>
>>1600488
Im not a baller. I too have a shitty job. Some guy I know who works for a food delivery service once tried to convince me one time to quit my job and start working at Lieferando. He tried to convince me that he earns 2000€ a month (which was a lie). He just wanted the commission bonus for recruiting me. I told him to go fuck himself. I couldn’t do currier work because I don’t just commute to work.. I actually like to ride in my free time.

And to be fair, my setup is a lot more aggressive than yours. I’m probably a a lot faster to because I actually do structured training.
>>
>>1600495
One of the fastest riders I've met rode an Engine 11 so you do have a nice ride. If it comes to a game of top speed, I'll admit I know I don't top out that high but if it's a game of endurance holding speed, you have no chance, I'm a high endurance genetic freak of nature, something like a 1 in 100M high hemoglobin genetic blood disorder.
>>
>>1600441
>Have you seen a gravel bike with a curved fork?
Yes dude. Most rim brake steel forks are curved, for very good reason.
That fork is also hideous. I don't know wtf Cinelli were thinking with the design. It's funny how Italians are so stylish but also they like ridiculous garish crap too.

I don't know why you're so upset by us talking about the bike in a critical way. It's not even to say you shouldn't buy it. You don't need to cope quite so hard about perceived flaws. It's like you have autism or something
>>
File: CinelliLaser.jpg (798 KB, 2000x1301)
798 KB
798 KB JPG
cinelli makes the most beautiful bicycles
>>
>>
File: supercorsa_bici.jpg (111 KB, 1000x667)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>
>>
File: supercorsa_bici_pista.jpg (152 KB, 1000x667)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>
File: bellisimo.jpg (92 KB, 1533x850)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
and then they do stuff like this
does anyone like this kind of design? Am i just simpleminded ?
>>
>>1600568
Im not upset, I have just time to write here because you know? Everything is closed due to Corona and everybody is practising social distancing? I don’t know what planet, you are living on, but pretty much every modern gravel bike looks like this.

If you are unable to accept different people like different thing, you are the autistic one. It would be autistic when I find a bike that has all the features I want: Cheap, fun geometry, clearance for tyre, looks cool enough, eyelets for fenders and racks but I don’t buy it because.... some anon fell for the curved fork meme and another anon thinks the pointless derailleur ist ugly.

That would be ridiculous. It would be like choosing not to have sex with a girl who is really hot and interesting because she has a redundant flaw... for example, her middle toe being bigger than her big toe or some shit.
>>
>>1600643
>her middle toe being bigger than her big toe
NGL that is creepy as shit
>>
>>1600643
You think that criticisms of something, are a threat to you doing it.

actually, they're not. You can examine flaws of something without dismissing it entirely. When I first posted about this bike I said a lot of things that I like about it. On balance, I personally would never buy it, but it's purely because i think the paint on the fork is hideous. And that's a subjective opinion. All my other complaints about it are somewhat negligible and I would myself look past them considering circumstances.

You think I'm only making criticisms to add up to some grand position that you shouldn't do it, but that's just not how I think. Infact I think any praise that is unaccompanied by criticism is hollow.
>>
>>1600643
Also I think you're very confused about the whole curved fork thing.
Firstly, disc brake forks tend to be stiffer than rim brake forks, because passive fork flex will impact disc braking performance.
So 'pretty much every modern gravel bike looks like this' refers to the fact that they all have disc brakes.
Secondly, rigid carbon forks often have very nice ride qualities, but i've never ridden one that really visually flexes. They smooth out the ride in a more subtle way? Iunno exactly. But a curved fork is not a carbon fork thing, so again, 'pretty much every modern gravel bike'.

A rim brake, steel fork, is a unique thing.
I wouldn't avoid a straight blade rim brake steel fork on principle, certainly a lot of nice steel rim brake framesets have them.
But when you ride a rim brake curved steel fork over bumps, you will see it visually flexing. I really do believe that passive flex is a great asset in ride quality. And for a comfyboi rimbrake steel bike, is a desirable quality. It's not a deal breaker, but on that specific bike, I would prefer it.

Lets just remember how you started this discussion:
>Is the Cinelli tutto plus the ultimate commuter fixie?
>>
>>1600658
>They smooth out the ride in a more subtle way?
It is called "absorbing vibrations". It doesn't mean it flexes visibly, it is a resonance thing. Actually wood is the best at that while keeping the same structural stiffness.
>>
>>1600683
>Actually wood
interdasting
>>
>>1600686
As it turns out. Actually THIS is the ultimate commuter fixed gear bike all along. Only 3890€ with free shipping.
>>
>>1600686
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd0vt5v37B0
>>
>>1600688
I actually would ride that, looks like a fun ride
>>
>>1600760
yea I bet you wood ride that
its a unique bike, goes against the grain
no one would leaf you alone, the bike is so cool
how much does it cost, though? At least tree thousand
>>
File: ladybug.jpg (357 KB, 1684x1263)
357 KB
357 KB JPG
>>1600658
>Secondly, rigid carbon forks often have very nice ride qualities, but i've never ridden one that really visually flexes
Kinda unreleated to the subject at hand but how I have my handlebars and rack set up, if I'm in my drops and rest my thumbs on the corners of my rack, I can feel the fork and wheel flex while riding. It was a little disturbing at first because it's like 1-2mm or more of flex while turning (even more so when the rack is loaded heavily) but I trust it now, carbon can flex disturbingly far without snapping.
>>
>>1600772
Yeah, there's way way better bikes in that price range but it's a clean wood build. Most wood builds I've seen are bamboo and twine and don't look as clean.
>>
>>1600752
>typical, insufferable high pitched over-animated (((youtuber))) voice
>south eastern english accent at that
>mentions carbon in the first 5 seconds
jesus fucking christ. I know it's a Global[ist] Consoom Network video so I'm not sure what I expected really, but... jesus fucking christ. I had to turn it off.
>>
>>1600780
you are just jealous because you don't own a wooden bicycle.
>>
File: internet gold.jpg (47 KB, 740x740)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>1600772
lel at all those puns, here's a (you), an updoot, and internet gold
>>
>>1576311
>I can comfortably ride between 30 and 35 kmh at a comfortable cadence between 80 and 95 rpm for hours. If i really put the hammer down, i can go 40kmh
>>1600495
holup, is that you? You think throwing the hammer down and going 40kmh is fast? You're actually slow lmao and I thought I topped out low, 40kmh is cruising speed
>>
>>1600789
what are you talking about? 40kmh is fast in the "real world" for normal human beings. do you actually ride a bicycle?
>>
File: 1597155831279.png (315 KB, 414x410)
315 KB
315 KB PNG
So I bought a fixie as my first bike without really thinking it through. I live on top of steep hills so basically every route takes me down one and then I have to go back up them to get home and my fixie is apparently not the right gear ratio for climbing hills. Did I fuck up?
>>
>>1600793
yes. also if you don't have at least 100 gear inches not cruising up and down those hills with an average of 40kmh, you are a faggot.
>>
>>1600795
I'm not sure what that means, I'm still new to this cycling thing.
>>
>>1600796
He's just seething at the realization that he's actually slow. Since you live in a hilly area and new, yeah you kinda did such up but you can work around that by lower your gear ratio by swapping chainrings and then use a freewheeling rear sprocket so when you go downhill your legs won't spin out. Just because it has only 1 gear, doesn't mean you can't change it. The important thing on fixies and single speeds is to find the ideal gear ratio for your body and environment and that ratio different for everyone.
>>
>>1600792
>for normal human beings
Good thing I'm not "normal" or I'd be as slow as you
>>
File: carlos.jpg (35 KB, 600x600)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1600772
>>
>>1600789
maybe on rural roads and that's still applying incredibly high standards. elite level time trialists average about 50 km/h. where i live the speed limit is 30-40 km/h and traffic often moves slower because of traffic calming measures and pedestrian crossing etc. normalfag road cyclists probably cruise at 20-30 km/h. dutch/hybrid commuters probably ride at more like 10-20 km/h or barely faster than walking speed sometimes.
>>
>>1600806
You can maintain like 250 watts riding in zone 2? what’s your FTP then?
>>
>>1600793
how hilly are we really talking? like if you check directions for cycling on google maps, is the elevation change info described as "mostly flat" or something else? maybe it is just your perception that the hills are steep because you haven't set up your saddle height etc and gotten stronger yet. and it is possible to change the gear ratio but i wouldn't recommend doing it straight away because you will get stronger in a matter of weeks.
>>
File: 1603908828468.jpg (183 KB, 1973x1945)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
What's the easiest way to get better ftp? Right now riding at 150-160w puts me at like 170 heart rate and is pretty hard for me to maintain.
>>
What’s your username on Zwift anon? I will destroy you...
>>
>>1600817
Jesus Christ anon, stop drinking so much coffee.
>>
>>1600822
I've never had coffee in my life, I am 93kg though. Trying to lose it.
>>
>>1600824
Well there is your answer there anon.. good luck anon. I believe in you.
>>
>>1600448
>V-brakes are long pull while road calipers are short pull meaning your brake lever selection is going to be limited to hybrids, cruisers, and mtb levers

yeah I think it's only Tektro and Dia-compe. The Tektro ones are great though, imho. I've heard the dia compe ones are shit
>>
>>1600448
>>1600831
They make travel agents too, turns short pull levers into long-pull ones
>>
>>1599633
it does have fender mounts
>>
>>1600854
oh i see now.. they are hidden. it's not available in europe though.
>>
>>1600789
why would you even lie anon?
>>
>>1600805
no i was being ironic. how fast are you? do you even ride man?
>>
>>1592711
>how is adding spacers and a longer axle a more elegant solution
It costs $20 to $60, has no drawbacks, and achieves every meaningful thing that poster mentioned.
It's almost as if there's a reason why converting an old road frame is a thing.

>>1600182
>the cable routing might interfere with a frame bag
Outside the mtb world, frame bags only interfere with downtube shifters (not an issue here) and seat tube water bottles.

>>1600441
I'm not the other guy, just a frame bag enthusiast. They're really useful, please don't be so dismissive ;_;
>>
File: 20201013_131331.jpg (633 KB, 2500x1407)
633 KB
633 KB JPG
>>1600961
huh? the way it has exposed inner cable running along the tub tube, can't it rub against the straps of a frame bag? it's hard to find good pics but i found a couple showing it has exposed cable so it's not internally routed.
>>
>>1601008
this bike sure is kinda goofy looking. I would much rather commute on a complete njs build with no brakes and track drop handlebars.
>>
>>1601008
>rub against the straps of a frame bag
It's not an issue in practice. If the bare cable is on the top or sides (like those gross mtb triple cable bosses), just slip the strap under it.
If the cable is on the underside of the top tube, the cable will be under more tension than the bag's fabric/straps, so the bag will deform to sort of nestle against the cable.
The cable doesn't noticeably wear the fabric, because it moves such a small distance, and slowly.
The biggest wear issue is using the grippy silicone type straps. Over time they will rub through the paint.
>>
>>1601034
based and keirinpilled

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.