[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 36 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: o.jpg (336 KB, 940x705)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
Fixed Gear General
Cannondale track edition
>>
inb4 seething unracers
>>
I have this thought everytime I ride my old steel roadie. Aren't downtube shifters kind of like a step up from single speed? They're literally the most durable shifting system, and they're out of the way. You kind of just have this option to shift if you want, but its like a feature of the bike. Compared to STI's where you are shifting literally all the time.
Yea I dunno just a thought. Like if you had a rear hub gear with a downtube shifter, thats like only one step higher in complexity to a single speed.
>>
>>1575503
i live inside you
>>
File: filthyigh.jpg (120 KB, 702x395)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>1575527
hub gears are inefficient and heavy, outdated casual unracer tech
but yeah if you have a working road bike there isn't much reason to convert it to singlespeed, the conversion is usually done on bikes that aren't worth the maintenance/repairs
fixed gears are fundamentally different than freewheeling bikes though
>>
>>1575527
yes and classic roadie gearing is similiarily not wide enough like a ss just to a lesser extent
>>
>>1575563
i'm not OP but there's enough interest in them to justify a general imo, the cycling industry marketing machine favors road/gravel/mountain bikes but there are plenty of people out there who ride other types of bikes as well
>>
>>1575498
I’m thinking about getting a soma rush. Any thoughts on them?
>>
File: MG_2250_rush-elevator-2k.jpg (1.18 MB, 2000x1333)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>1575599
I like it except the quill stem.
don't buy a new frame with a quill steam/ threaded steerer.
quill stems are fine on old bikes but threadless is just categorically superior, especially on a bike that you have to throw the front end around to get up hills so that benefits greatly from increased stiffness there.
>>
how do i skid
>>
>snow melts
>decide to take my fixie out to bomb a handful of laps around the neighbourhood

>four punctures tires from road gravel
>broken spoke (not sure why)

G-guess I'll stick to the MTB until Summer...
>>
>>1575627
just b urself
>>1575650
>"bombing" on your fixie
>broken spoke
>4 punctures "from gravel"
sounds to me your tire pressure was too low and you were just pinch flatting. you're right, better stick to your mtb.
>>
>>1575650
>broken spoke (not sure why)
probably a poorly built wheel, common on cheap bikes, get a true & tension from an LBS if you replace the spoke or use it as an excuse to upgrade your wheels and tires also
>>
>>1575672
and squeeze the shit out of the spokes just in case the LBS won't do it properly themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_A6YzjcpBM
>>
>>1575672
>>1575675
LBS truing is usually shit because they're not going to "build" a wheel for you, they're just going to spot true without checking tension. They just want to collect your money and most customers are satisfied when the brakes stop rubbing. If you have to keep retruing, they're going to say the wheel is bad and sell you a new wheel.

Yes, a good shop hand can true a wheel properly, but there's no financial incentive for them to do so. The shops that do this will usually have a wheel building service and a mechanic that's anal about doing the job right. It also has nothing to do with old-school vs newer shops. It's entirely based on the analness of the mechanic, and it will never be cheap, although some shops will charge you expensive truing rates for a simple spot true because they can.

These shops will usually only have one mechanic, because junior mechanics aren't anal about their job, and if there's a junior mechanic, they're just going to spot true. This mechanic will usually be anal retentive and do things properly and by the book, and not the shop hand of an older shop that just bodges or knows neat gimmicky tricks. The shop will always have a wheel building service because the mechanic takes pride in wheel building.
>>
>>1575498
What cranks are those?
>>
>>1575683
yeah i meant for them to both bring up the tension and true it, basically build the wheel minus the lacing part, and i suggest an LBS because doing it yourself as a beginner without the proper tools will be tedious at best and a disaster at worst
>>
>>1575653
No retard my tires are always at precisely 120 psi
>>
>>1575686
I'm just gonna put the spindle in a vice and wing the tension with a screwdriver fuck it
>>
>>1575727
>making a taco
>>
>>1575725
>120 psi
lmfao
>>
>>1575599
I ride a 2003 rush, my buddy rides a newer one, not exactly >>1575602 's, but close enough. Mine's been great, but he's had some issues with droupout failures. The dropouts on mine don't have that little scalloping that the newer ones do, and we're pretty sure that's what caused the failure. but idk how hard you're gonna be riding it.
>>
>>1575725
>punctures 4 times and breaks a spoke on 120 psi tires
hmmm who's the retard I wonder
>>
File: bks.png (415 KB, 600x1221)
415 KB
415 KB PNG
kill fixies
>>
>>1575627
balls to stem on grass/leaves just to understand what muscles to use then you can try on the road
>>1575602
quills are cure tho uwu
>>1575922
correct order is road bike<mtb<gravel<8090mtb<singlespeed<track bike<city bike
>>
>>1575535
why isn't industry developed perfect sealing materials meant for bike pieces yet???... we have all those mindblowing hydrophobic materials and did no one have ever though of applying to bicycles??
>>
>>1575975
seals create drag
fully sealed hubs do exist though
schmidt dynamo hubs are supposed to spin, maintenance free, for like a million km.
>>
>>1575599
It has very nice tange steel tubing so it has a supple ride and can take corners very well.
>>
>>1575774
>>1575905
GOTTA GO FAST
>>
Also, I'll have you know that I've been riding on 120psi tires for seven years and have only had two punctures in that time. Even on dirt pathways through the forest a handful of times.
Tires indicate max pressure to be 120 psi, then they get 120 psi. This is a pro mechanic technique to save gas at the expense of broken ass.
>>
>>1576063
except rock hard tires aren't faster.
>>
>>1576064
you are a class-a retard
>>
File: jan heine.jpg (81 KB, 1200x479)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>1576107
They are, Jan Heine proved it with a chart that tires at maximum pressure are basically just as fast as "optimal" pressure.
>>
>>1576119
thanks for proving my point. the rubino clincher's performance degrades past 110psi. we're talking about 120psi+. read the fucking chart you post next time.
>>
>>1576121
Are you retarded? Do you not know what watts are?
>>
>>1576124
are you retarded?
>>
>>1576125
No, but clearly you are
>>
>>1576126
no u
>>
>>1576128
Again, do you even know what a watt is?
>>
>>1576130
no...u
>>
>>1576135
So you don’t know what watts are and don’t understand what the chart is saying about watts?
>>
>>1576137
...no u?
>>
>>1576138
Are you mentally stunted?
>>
>>1576139
are you?
>>
File: engine 11.jpg (278 KB, 1024x683)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
What the fuck is the point of riding a "street fixie" with drop/pista handlebars with no brakes when 90% of Fixiefags ride on the tops 100% of the time? (I pulled that percentage out of my ass).

Larping as a hardcore track racer even though they have never seen the inside of a Velodrome? Because muh Minimalism? I tried for a few weeks riding "crosstop" brake levers and after I decided to stop being a piece of shit, I installed hooded brake levers and the difference was night and day.

Reality check People. Riding on the hoods of hooded brake levers or whatever the fuck you call them are comfy as fuck, provide great leverage when climbing and look sick as fuck. And you can go even faster because you actually stop on a dime when you want to and don't have to take into account skidding distance.

Fuck Fixiefags and their gay "freestyle" bmx tricks. Wanna be a real rebel? Take advice from this 30 year old Boomer. Adopt the Racer™ Lifestyle. Be a good sport and install ergonomic brake levers and both brakes on your bike and actually stop at red lights faggotron. It's a massive flex when you gradually come to a halt when the lights go red, do a sick fucking trackstand and then nonchalantly completely destroy the nobrakes-fixie-bmxbandit who blasted through the red light a few moments after.
>>
>>1576213
well for once it depends on where you ride, i like to ride on the drops on long flat roads with little to no traffic and i don't have a brake simply because my rims have no brake track - on the other hand flatbars and bullhorns are comfier for slow city riding - and uhm riding on hoods is pretty much the same as riding on bullhorns
>>
File: EIRgMaKWwAAgPL8.jpg (93 KB, 658x439)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
is there anything as comfy as riding around the park and popping skids on fallen leaves? - it gives me so much joy uwu
>>
>>1576217
Thank you for reading my blogpost based "uhm poster". That's good to hear that you agree with me that riding on the hoods is superior for actually going fast and riding in heavy traffic.
>>
what ratios do you guys run, 46/16 here
>>
>>1576213
i can stop faster on a brakeless trackbike than you can on a road bike.
>>
>>1576226
46/17 - thinking about downgrading to 46/19
>>
>>1576227
No you can't and you know it too. and for your information champ, i also ride fixed.
>>
>>1576231
my old bike that got stolen was 35/16 and I honestly got by fine on that for city riding. sure you'll get dropped in a velodrome but I'm rarely sprinting in the city
>>
>>1576226
53/17 on my beater
49/17 on my gotta go fast bike
>>
>>1576142
You are clearly unable to read the chart despite accusing other people of doing so, then keep autistically repeating no u. Do you seriously not understand that lower watts is better?
>>
>>1576259
u srsly still replying
>>
>>1576265
Because you are so retarded. I want you to keep doubling down. It amuses me.
>>
>>1576242
lower ratios are better for the city imho, makes it easier to control your speed
>>1576251
shoundn't it be the opposite tho?
>>
thoughts on 8BAR bikes?
>>
>>1576064
Pure retard. Unless your riding on 20mm tires then maybe you do need 120psi. But then again why would your ride 20mm on the road.
Yea you're retarded.
>>
File: IMG_1127.jpg (1.74 MB, 3264x2448)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>1576251
>>1576280
No. The "bigger gear = faster" logic applies if you are riding on the track, but in real life, there are hills and shit.

49/17 is a moderate gear and feels better than 53/17. It makes sense to have a gear that feels nice on my "go fast" bike that I use to go on funrides between 1-3 hours. With a 49/17, I can comfortably ride between 30 and 35 kmh at a comfortable cadence between 80 and 95 rpm for hours. If i really put the hammer down, i can go 40kmh...But what would be the point of a higher gear? to increase my "top speed“? to be a macho man?? At the expense of having fun?

I have 53/17 on my beater because it’s my beater… It gets me around the city and to and from work fine. Because it has slightly heavier gearing that my "go fast“ bike. When I go out for a ride on my go fast bike, it feel like Piccolo when he takes off his weighed cape and turban. Btw, this is my Racer™ bike.
>>
>>1576213
100% agree, except you should cable the left lever to a bell like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs4QGFJUToc

a rear brake is not necessary.
>>
>>1576403
Wow. My post got you pretty worked up. What upset you exactly? That I enjoy my hobby? That I have a nice bike but took a shit picture of it on purpose?

if you don’t think 35kmh is a decent speed? I think you need a reality check.

Anyhow, whatever the reason for your negativity is... that doesn’t warrant calling me a mentally ill retard, anon. I think you need take a good hard look at yourself and to ask yourself where this anger is coming from...

But thanks for reading my post anyway and I hope you have a good day.
>>
>>1576380
That is a good idea anon but I live in Germany and German law mandated that a bicycle has two independently acting braking devices. I got stopped a couple weeks ago by the „bicycle police“ and I shit you not, they asked me to demonstrate that both my brakes work. I showed them that I have both brakes and they sent me on my merry way.

I have both brakes because I ride a lot and having fun is more important to me than looking cool. It would also bother me when one of my brake levers does nothing...
>>
>>1576213
i definitely think having brakes with drop levers is the way to go for out and out performance. i don't care about the street fashion aspect of riding a fixie or doing tricks. too bad there seems to be a lot of stigma about having a rear brake on a fixie so i had to second guess myself before deciding on it.

the rear brake isn't completely useless either
>don't have to use your legs to slow down as much (braking with your legs without skidding takes a lot of effort, and if you skid you take longer to stop and you wear your tires)
>scrub off speed to sync up with traffic
>trail brake to take corners faster
>brake safely on slippery surfaces
>even out the rim and brake pad wear between the front and the rear
>have a backup brake for when your front brake fails (road grit stuck in your brake pad, cable snap, lever failure etc)

i can see how people can cope with not having brakes or only having a front brake but with drop levers you can come closer to road bike levels of performance (in flatland) and ergonomics.
>>
>>1576226
48/17
>>
>>1576213
>whatever the fuck you call them are comfy as fuck
completely agree, bullhorns are way better than drops on a fixie, also makes it easier to skid

>Racer™ Lifestyle
a road bike in the city is fucking retarded
city riding is not about going fast, it's about going with the flow
braking makes no big difference when you know the streets

>virgin racer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wusNHV2I-2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHODP4U7Qd0

>chad fixie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_JNPTNbE4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ZxvOc8Lco
>>
>>1576427
Jesus Christ anon. You are now on a whole new level of seething...what hurt you anon?
>>
>>1576424
i'm not suggesting it does nothing
i'm suggesting it rings a bell

shame about the autism police though
>>
>>1576428
Yes these are some good points anon. But I live in the center of Berlin, I have to ride like 10km just to get out of the city lmao
>>
>>1575979
>seals create drag

well, yes, seals in direct contact with ball bearings, but
I'm talking about external seals, like the ones outside hubs, exactly between cones and locknuts, or the seal ones found in over size directions.

Im sure there are modern materials that doesnt let asingle drop of water to get inside bearings. it's really dumb that it isn't implementen on bikes yet.

btw fuck condesation.
>>
>>1575975
those internal gear hubs are cheap shits found on walmart tier european city bikes
supposedly the fancier ones like rohloff have better water resistance
>>
>>1575535
>>1576444
No need for seals with a Sturmey Archer. Just fill it up with oil in the oil port and the old oil and water leaks out where the seals would have prevented it from leaking.
>>
>>1576456
most casuals believe that they are maintenance free and would never fill it up with oil and you don't know if it's rusty on the inside without opening it up
>>
>>1576457
But there's an oil port on all British made things and that's why they have a reputation for leaking.
>>
>>1576213
Why are you so upset about other people's life decisions that have nothing to do with you? You're not retarded, are you?

To answer your question, it is because it feels tight and looks cool. Simple as.
It's like diving in the ocean butt naked; a feeling of nakedness, liberation and vulnerability. Your mind instantly goes into action mode because you know you have to be on the ball or lol u die. Also forces you to not be lazy and brake using your legs no matter how tired you are.

After I rode brakeless for 4 months I decided it was time to get a front brake after one too many close encounters and after realizing that it was retarded to ride without brakes on public roads.

It's still cool though, fuck you.
>>
>>1576475

Why do you think I'm upset or that I’m emotionally invested in the fact that some kids have no brakes? And asking me if I am retarded if just mean.. To be fair, I’m just expressing my opinion that having hooded brake levers is superior for performance as appose to having no brakes.

You confirm that riding without brakes is inherently more dangerous. And whats that you say? Having no brakes „trains yourself not to be lazy“? Lmao wut? You know what buddy? I use the energy that I save by using the brakes to actually pedal harder and go faster. I regularly smoke kids like you on the way to work every morning on my beater, without trying lmao.
>>
>>1576425
>>
>>1576267
you amuse me, champ.
>>
>>1576542
You’re the same poster that always just says no u when you say something retarded aren’t you
>>
>>1576428
the philipino kid is downright retarded, shutting rearview mirrors and flipping off random people like he tries so hard to imitate nyc messenger but ends up looking like an asshole
>>
>>1575599
A nice bike, though they used to have curved forks, and looked better for it.

>>1575602
>threadless is just categorically superior
Quill stems are beautiful. The highest praise ever heaped upon a threadless stem was: "that doesn't look too bad".

>>1576213
Riding on the hoods is top tier. This is a pic of my fixed gear:
>>>1575928

>>1576218
Honorable mention: skidding in dry snow, really tweaking it and kicking up a little spray, then looking back at your tracks. It's great fun, but those conditions are only around when it's cold as fuck outside...
So the situation you describe comes out on top. Also leaves have a comfy smell.

>>1576226
53/20, but I switch to 53/22 during the winter.
>>
>>1576426
I never understood why 48/17 is so popular.

If you decide to swap your cog out for a 16tooth cog, then you only have 1 skid patch. Or or if you want to make it easier, a 18 tooth cog will only skidpatch will only give you 3 skidpatches...

A 49 tooth chainring is a lot more versatile.
49/16 gives you 16 skidpatches and and 49/18 gives you 18.

Chad Prime number versus Virgin even number...
>>
>>1576835
>Quill stems are beautiful.
Threaded headsets are ugly.
>>
>>1576942
nonsense
>>
>>1576543
you're the same poster that needlessly engages with retards, aren't you?
>>
>>1576963
t. the retard
>>
File: IMG_8215.jpg (3.01 MB, 4032x3024)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
>>1576835
sweet ride. i also have a converted road bike as my everyday bike.
>>
>>1577001
btw. i now have flat pedals on this bike obviously and conti 4 seasons tyres.
>>
>>1576967
>assuming anyone is the same anon
>>
>>1577005
No u
>>
>>1577018
no u
>>
>>1576941
i've ridden a bike with 48/16 and 165mm and the gearing was too high for my riding conditions, the bike felt a bit sluggish to accelerate and it wanted to go exceed 40 km/h when the local speed limit is 30-40 km/h
48/17 with 170mm cranks is more like a goldilocks ratio for me with a good balance of acceleration and comfortable cadence at low-moderate speeds and still a good top speed (spinning with a 100+ rpm cadence is easier than newbs think because of articles saying that casuals ride with a 60 rpm cadence or something like that, and a 100+ rpm cadence isn't that inefficient when pedaling with high watts like when sprinting)
mid tier cranksets like sram s300 come with 48t chainrings, if i had gone with a vision track crankset i would probably be on 49/17
>>
>>1576941
also sheldon argued for even numbers of teeth, maybe with a narrow-wide chainring it would mesh really well with the chain
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-life.html
>>
>>1576941
also if you have a premium track cog it might be cheaper to swap out the chainring than the cog
>>
>>1577020
no u
>>
>>1577163
no, ~u~
>>
>>1576213
Someone needs to make a product that’s just brakeless hoods. Bar ends maybe?
>>
>>1577169
That's what bullhorns are for
>>
File: leader.jpg (189 KB, 1200x900)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
What's a reasonable offer for this frame (Leader 722ts)? That they don't have any price listed makes me think they want an unrealistic amount but I'm trying to build a beater for under $200, and the frame only goes for $300 new.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bop/d/brooklyn-leader-steel-bike-framewith/7231821627.html
>>
>>1577169
>brakeless hoods
it wouldn't look right, at that point you can hardly argue for some notion of vintage track racing aesthetics
>>
>>1577169
they exist
they're called dummy levers or stoker hoods (for tandems) like these Cane Creek ones.

It's not hard to make either. You just clamp a short cable run under the lever clamp to keep them tensioned and stop them rattling around and hacksaw off half the lever and sand/file it smooth

or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs4QGFJUToc
>>
>>1577269
some are spring loaded so they won't rattle
>>
>>1576311
>I can comfortably ride between 30 and 35 kmh at a comfortable cadence between 80 and 95 rpm for hours. If i really put the hammer down, i can go 40kmh
t. entered the wrong wheel diameter on a magnetic speedometer.
you absolutely, categorically, CANNOT sit at 20mph "for hours".
>>
>>1577311
lmao cope harder, you're just slow
>>
>>1577311
the current hour record is 34.23mph and the difficulty isn't linear, 20mph is very possible, don't forget that track bikes usually have a more aero and more powerful riding position than even most road bikes which tend to be more endurance oriented, and there's a drivetrain efficiency gain, and there's no coasting so you apply power more consistently over time
>>
>>1577313
>>1577320
ok, yes, but no. some anybody posting on 4channel who rides a bicycle for utility and recreational cycling is just flat out not going to be hitting those numbers, "track bike" or otherwise - even if they're a bike enthusiast and in good physical shape, the former of which at least I don't doubt. I suggest you measure your wheel size again, yourself, and make sure it's inputted correctly; the measurements that are listed in the little booklet that comes with the bike computer are often off by a long way.
>>
>>1576380
>a rear brake is not necessary
t. retard
>>
>>1577003
I do platform pedals & straps for short rides, but for longer rides I'll swap to Look Keo Classic w/ Mavic shoes.
Feels good man.

>>1577269
Can't stand those nubs.
>>1577280
This is the ticket, just get some levers w/ return springs. Old road levers usually have them.
>>
File: justride.png (69 KB, 680x560)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>1577311
>>1577390
(32.8kmh = 20.38mph)
Inb4 you move your goalposts again because you're too proud to admit being wrong after making retarded statements on a Mongolian claymation BBS. This is an average solo ride, no deep section wheels and certainly not out of the question for any recreational cyclist in moderate shape.

t. anybody posting on 4chan(nel)
>>
>>1577414
Yes, totally out of the question. Those are superhuman numbers.
>>
File: CPFX01RED.jpg (112 KB, 500x500)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>1576213
>braking from the hoods
may as well just use suicide levers at that point
>>
>>1577414
This is very discouraging.
>>
>>1577453
This doesn't make any sense. Do you always brake from the drops? Do you even have a bicycle?
>>
>>1577414
120 / 88 * 32.8 = 44.7
>>
File: 20201121_161336.jpg (2.19 MB, 4032x1908)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
Just built this frame back up after 6 years to cruise around on.
>>
File: surlysteamroller.jpg (163 KB, 640x426)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>1577648
5 spoke wheel...frame protector even though you have riser bars? that's a pretty solid reddit bicycle when I see one. I give you one upvote, champ.
>>
>>1577648
Based aerospoke

I truly think it’s the best rear wheel for a fixie, there’s just something about the way it rides
>>
does anybody have a download link or working torrent for the 2009 Council of Doom film?
>>
>>1577674
lol, frame protector was basically crusted on there from being there 8 years. got lazy
>>
>>1577770
Im not sure why you have to emphasise how long you have had the bike...have you ridden the bicycle in the last 6 years anon?
>>
Follow up on:
>>1575650
>>1575727

>Pulled another spoke off and went to LBS to get a handful of them custom made.
>Managed to re-install them after a bit of fuckery.
>Since I lack spoke tools I had to resort to sticking a flathead screwdriver through the rim to tighten the little caps.
>Decided to flip bike upside down in order to use front forks as truing stand.
>My wheel is now a taco
>One hour of autistic fuckery with the screwdriver and an insane amount of eyeballing later my wheel now spins like a swiss clock.
>Decided to only inflate tire to 110 psi after the screeching itt (for trial run only)

Everything turned out better than expected! I've concluded that you don't need expensive, specialty tools or professional help to fix your own damn bike.
>>
>>1575498
hello niggers, should I ride a fixie on the road without a brake?
>>
>>1578696
yes.
>>
>>1577001
That poor miyata :(
>>
>>1577218
If you're building a beater then building a frame up seems dumb. Why not just get a shitty old road bike and a rear track wheel, call it a day? You could do that for sub $250
>>
>>1575939
I should try on grass never thought of that
>>
>>1576213
I was 100% going to get brakes on my fixie, which came with a drop bar mind, but then I learned to stop without them and now I don't care
>>
>>1576403
I think he prefers the agility
>>
>>1577001
raise your stem
>>
I ride toe clips. Can I skid on these? I tried straps and they just didn't feel as good. Not as secure. But I feel like the back pedaling pressure is less than ideal on the clips. Do double strap clips have more security? Or are they just a visual difference?
>>
>>1577414
I dunno that's pretty impressive I'd pass out if I did that
>>
>>1578783
it was on a bike with gears though
>>
>>1578772
yeah a full build with a half decent frame etc with that kind of budget doesn't seem realistic
>>
>>1576560
it's really douchey and i downvoted the video, but i kinda see both sides, some motorists and pedestrians act like fucking spastics, sometimes they're blatantly breaking the law and being reckless but the cops aren't there to enforce it, other times they're just being annoying, dutch cruiser bikes have lousy performance and on top of that you get bullied in traffic when you ride them on the road, with a fixie you're in a much better position to keep up with city traffic and you can be an edgelord and bully others if you want to
>>
I have flown to and from Asia dozens of times, and I also am a big fan of LOST, among other things.

Back when I was younger, I used to fantasize about my plane ditching in the far North. Either in Siberia or Alaska. That stretch between Lake Baikal and the far reaches of rural North Alaska is insane. From the rough tundra with endless melt lakes, to the mountain peaks of North America which you could almost reach out and touch from the plane window. I love that shit. Not gonna lie, I wouldn't expect to survive long if I survived the initial crash. But it's great to think about. Wintertime plane crashes are brutal, but at least you'd catch some glimpses of really serene beauty before cashing in.
>>
>>1578074
You could of saved yourself a lot of time if you just let the LBS fix your wheel lmao
>>
>>1578770
I would still be riding it today as a road bike. But I had a crash and ending up fucking up my front wheel back and rear deraileur. The exage groupset was mediocre and the biopace chainrings felt shit. Converting this bike was the best decision I made. Now it is actually fun to ride. The drivetrain is completely silent. The only problem is that I have to use one of these bad boys to get the chain the right chain the right length every time I put on a new chain.
>>
>>1579167
I forgot the pic.
>>
>>1578780
No way man. I am very flexible and this is comfortable for me. The bike has a tall headtube compared to modern road bikes and the stem is 100cm long. Even though the stem is slammed, the bars are still higher than my modern bike which has 20mm spacers and a positive stem.
>>
>>1578696
Hello. Yes definitely. It is what all the cool negros are doing.
>>
>>1577648
Hello fellow Redditor. I too have more money and taste and enjoy photography more than cycling.
>>
>>1579668
It’s only half a cm. Can you really tell the difference famalan?
>>
>>1579726
you think that's a photobikefag tier bike photo?
>>
>>1579726
I wish I had more money and taste.
>>
>>1577648
fixiefags, do you deliberately want to avoid good grip rear tyres to aid skidding? How does that work?
>>
>>1579729
Yes. Are we now going to argue about whether the photo is good or not?
>>
>>1579744
it's clearly a photo focused on the bike more than on being a photo
like, you can see the bike clearly. That's all you might say positively about it as a photo. No one interested in photos but not bikes would be at all interested in it. It's a fine bike photo. But it's not a good photo.

what you said is a real criticism but what you leveled it at is just abject nonsense.

even as a fashionfag fixie the bike itself is severely lacking. Having a brake for one. The trifag bottle holder. An extra link in the chain for comfy spec, Disgusting. Mismatching tyres. Valves not matching up. The top tube protector protecting from nonexistant drop bars.

as a fun bike to ride it's solid as fuck.
>>
>>1579668
I was strongly considering switching to 165 for a long time because I almost died hitting the ground during cornering at high speed more than a few times. Glad I didn't.
>>
>>1579738
yes
>>
>>1579729
i don't care either way and that anon is salty as fuck. but the photo does like it has had some effort put into it (cropping, sharpening, color grading) and it might have been taken with an actual camera rather than a phone.
>>
>>1580046
Bike fit is in itself completely autistic with all its variables, saddle tilt, fore/aft, stackheight, reach...flexibility..etc.. it’s more of an art than a science.. But for me, it makes sense to have the most aerodynamic position that is still comfortable.
>>
>>1580049
you'd have the same hood position if you tilted your bars down and raised your stem slightly.
really the metal of the levers should be at a 90° angle to the ground and the end of the drops should be between parallel to the ground and pointing at your rear brake caliper, and they're outside that extreme.
I suspect you tilt your bars up so far to compensate for arbitrarily slamming your stem and that the drops position itself is near totally unusable.
Also, that you could achieve the same amount of aero with a higher stem, by bending your elbows slightly, which would be more comfortable.

slamming your stem isn't even a quill stem meme either
>>
>>1580052
Yes and no. This is going to annoy you but this is an old picture from a few years ago, before I got my fit dialed in. The bars are now tilted more downwards and the stem is completely slammed (yes it goes deeper). I’ve experimented with stem stem height a lot. I’ve came to the conclusion, that I like having weight distributed towards the front end, having bent elbows and supporting my weight with my core. It feels good and is more fun to ride when the stem is slammed. Feeling good and going fast is my priority when riding a bike and it should be yours too. I don‘t give a rats ass that my fit isn’t „time period correct“ and that slamming quill stems isn’t a meme because I am not a retrogrouch, I’m not larping as a 90‘s Tour de France rider.. Besides, everybody is built differently.
>>
I'm thinking about switching to clipless - what kind of pedals should I look into? I want to avoid accidentally unclipping since I bump skid a lot
>>
>>1575498
Been biking on one of these for about 2 months 12 miles a day. At first it sucked ass, I thought I wasn't gonna be able to stick with it. But now I've cut my route time to almost half and my legs are out of proportion to everything. Love this shit, never have to adjust derailleurs and I'm jacked
>>
>>1580190
if you are the kind of person who "bump skids a lot", I don't think clipless pedals would be good for you lmao
>>
>>1580190
spds will unclip if you just pull up on them hard enough
i've done it a bunch just riding a road bike
there's a tension setting like ski bindings and it doesn't happen if you max it out but it's still something that is mechanically possible with enough force.

spd-sl do not have that tension setting and i've ridden them for years and never unclipped accidentally once in, except when i broke a cleat. That only happens on very old worn cleats too so you can avoid it by simply replacing the cleats semi regularly.

so i'd say spd-sl is the real safe bet. Although this is not a fixiefag perspective.
>>
>>1580250
Nice. Good job anon. Keep it up.
>>
>>1580190

I use spds and have done a few long rides with them this past summer and found them way more enjoyable than flats. You can adjust the tension for unclipping if you're finding a hard time of staying clipped in or clipping out at a stop.

As for skids I can only say to watch for your ankles since cycling shoes don't offer a lot of ankle support and you can really hurt yourself or snap the ankle itself if you skid the wrong way.
>>
I need front brakes/pads/cable and lever

Any recommends? Ty anon
>>
>>1575602
Beautiful.
And yes the stem makes it elegant.
>>
>>1576213
>t.boomer knees hurt
>>
>>1580849
any 105 or better shimano road brake, goldfinger or similar brake lever, kool stop pads
>>
>>1580849
campagnolo chorus
excellent modulation
works optimally with standard short pull levers
the newest version uses shimano style brake pads, not the spring thing that people complained about
slim gloss black minimal logo aesthetics
>>
>>1580858
My knees feel great anon. Thanks for your concern and for reading my post.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.