[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 34 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 08.jpg (290 KB, 1641x1080)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
Why have multi level cities yet to catch on despite the immense value they'd provide?

I'm guessing it's because 4 year term city governments don't want to commit to such a comprehensive rethink of cities.
>>
Big master plans like that invariably end up being soulless and unappealing, at least in contemporary times
>>
File: Kowloon_Walled_City.jpg (357 KB, 644x425)
357 KB
357 KB JPG
Been tried. Really sucked. Got bulldozed.

Turns out living in a dystopian mashup of a favela and a Borg cube was pretty fucking miserable.
>>
>>1572670
>Posts a completely unplanned city
>>
>>1572663
the ammount of density that would be needed to make this useful is basically unattainable. normal streets are simple and relatively easy to maintian and theyre not even that crowded most of the time. this is too complicated.
>>
>>1572673
The fact that it was unplanned is unrelated to the reasons why it sucked.
>>
>>1572663
because it makes much more sense to just spread out instead
>>
>>1572663
Nobody wants to be mole people
>>
Because they’re expensive and retarded when you can just build multi story buildings.
/thread
>>
Goddamnit Elon get out of here and go back to work
>>
>>1572670
Yeah but that's not what OP was talking about.
>>
>>1572663
You can do the same with many smaller private projects connecting buildings and roofs together, overhead/underground tunnels, sidewalks and tracks (inb4 oyyy veeeey), without the need for (((central planning))), in a incremental way and using existing infrastructure.

The technology (((stagnated))) too so it's still too expensive and inaccessible
>>
>>1572690
this, can you imagine how fucked the mole people would be thanks to CO and hydrocarbon poisoning? They would physically deviate into actual mole people
>>
>>1572690
This. People need sunlight.
>>
>>1572670
If that were built by a legit development firm it would be one of the most sought after developments in the country. It takes walkable to a whole new level.
>>
>>1572921
>If that were built by a legit development firm it would be one of the most sought after developments in the country.
I mean, if commies want to live in a literal prison they could just go punch a cop or something.
>>
>>1572663
Now put in all the ramps.
>>
>>1572670
Kowloon, was never ‘tried’ by any official city planner you fucking smoothbrain, it just happened.

If anything it shows people will naturally congregate if left to their own devices. Without any proper engineering, they just found the most efficient way to live together.

>>1572925
Read: People lived in Kowloon by choice.
>>
Turns out all the support arches costs too much money, and there is no real value in the sunlight holes.
You can find a lot of malls with this design internally, but not externally outside of buildings.
>>
File: 1587811029130.jpg (8 KB, 442x500)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1572997
>Without any proper engineering, they just found the most efficient way to live together.
Kowloon was an enclave colonized by political refugees that became overrun with drugs and organized crime. It was that dense because that square was all the land they had to build on.
>>
>>1572663
For the same reason skywalks between buildings never caught on: they require centralized ownership of vast amounts of property by mega corporations or the government to make it work.
>>
>>1572663
>Why have multi level cities yet to catch on despite the immense value they'd provide?
1. Are multi-level cities really necessary?. We can achieve good density without cramping citizens like rats in cages
2. Is there real value in building this massive infrastructure just to accommodate private automobiles? I mean in the concept the first 3 stratum are allocated just as parking and roads
3. There are no roads on the stratum with direct sunlight (which probably would became the perceived ground level by people). How are the emergency vehicles like fire fighters supposed to reach the buildings? And also are bicyclist and motorcyclist supposed to ride in tunnels without sun light while begin intoxicated with the exhaust fumes from other vehicles?
In the end I don't see real value in such paradigm shift. Our brains are wired to work with only a ground level with sunlight on which most of the daily actives take place.
The only advance I see compared to traditional cities is that you can fit much more cars inside (if you don't take in account ramps area) but again a. are so much private automobiles really needed and b. how do you bring ventilation to the lower levels to move out exhausts and what about if a vehicle goes on fire in the tunnel?

>Romberg architects
>royal automobile club of Victoria
I see who thought this was a good idea
>>
>>1572670
Hey I’ve been there cool
>>
>>1573068
>1. Are multi-level cities really necessary?. We can achieve good density without cramping citizens like rats in cages
this. Some people think density is either ultra cramped vs McMansions, but in reality the best cities have a set amount of density they work to achieve.
>>
>>1573068
>Car club boogeyman
If cagers want to be relegated to subterranean depths while at street level it’s beautiful open space for cycling and walking then I fully support them
>>
>>1573340
Also
>ventilation to the lower levels to move out exhausts and what about if a vehicle goes on fire in the tunnel
Is this a real fucking question, you do realise we’ve had cars in tunnels for nearly a century right
>>
>>1573340
They close undersea tunnels IF the ventilation stops working.
They also do the same for fires, ideally with escape tunnels in a separate tunnel from them main ones. Even more ideally in more trafficed areas: Opposite directions of driving are in separate tunnels, so a car accident still means you can drive in one direction.
>>
File: 75FwqVB.png (954 KB, 960x521)
954 KB
954 KB PNG
>Why have multi level cities yet to catch on despite the immense value they'd provide?
>I'm guessing it's because 4 year term city governments don't want to commit to such a comprehensive rethink of cities.
>>
>>1573042
>they require centralized ownership of vast amounts of property
The unfortunate truth. A shame because a network of raised walkways so pedestrians never had to be around cages would be the most baller shit ever.

Instead of forcing a monopoly on ownership or making developers work together, how about put a new city law in place that all new towers must have some sort of interface or opening in the building facade on the 3rd story or so that would allow for a pedestrian bridge to be constructed in the future? The city government could cover the cost and installation of bridges, developers just have to make their buildings compatible with them.
>>
It always shocks me how many people watch blade runner and think “woah that looks AWESOME! I want to live there!!”
>>
>>1573068
>Are multi-level cities really necessary?
Yes, but you don't normally see more than three or four layers, some of which are distinctly specialized (like subways). It tends to be too expensive to build much more than that; there's no engineering reason why not, but there's good economic reasons.
>>
>>1574332
>all new towers must have some sort of interface or opening in the building facade on the 3rd story or so that would allow for a pedestrian bridge to be constructed in the future
That's actually a pretty neat idea.
>>
>>1574332
Calgary did this as a solution to the “fucking horrific Canadian winter” problem, Montreal and Toronto have tunnels
>>
File: eaton-centre-2.jpg (239 KB, 1600x1600)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>1572663
You can experience it small scale in Toronto Eaton Centre. One of my favourite places in Toronto.
It's why I like the idea of multilevel cities.
>>1572690
They exist, in case you didn't know.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=las+vegas+mole+people&page&utm_source=opensearch
Also, there is a contiguous indoor space at North York connecting a condo, a shopping mall with a big grocery shop in the basement level, a subway station, then the North York Centre across the street through a tunnel, which has the multilevel North York Central Library, offices, hotel, shops, cafeteria in the basement. I loved accessing all that without ever having to step outdoors.
>>
>>1574728
>I loved accessing all that without ever having to step outdoors.
Weather is bad mkay.
>>
>>1572997
>people will naturally congregate
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
No
People hate people beyond a certain number
Even in sub 1k towns you see people hating other people and staying away from eachother
>>
File: 1,w=1280,c=0.bild.jpg (214 KB, 1280x720)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
>>1574728
Looks like a mix of a cruise ship mall and my local train station.
>>
>>1574728
>toronto eaton center
never gonna make it
>>
>>1574332
>Architects that want all glass facades reeeeee in the distance
>>
>>1572663
>all this underground space for cars when you could just have public transport, walkable neighbourhoods and bike lanes
cagery is a mental illness
>>
>>1574728
a literal fucking bugman
>oh wow look at all this indoor CONSOOMING wow wow i dont even have to be exposed to direct sunlight
>>
>>1572670
>Turns out living in a dystopian mashup of a favela and a Borg cube was pretty fucking miserable.
actually a massive success and the government had to bribe the tenants absurd amounts of money to get them to leave

funny how people self organize! haha!

also notice how there is only a few thousand homeless in HONG KONG even though its a tiny island with 10 million people! HAHAHAHAHA LA HAS ALMOST A MILLION HOMELESS HAHAHAHAHA WOW

IM SURE YOU LOVE YOUR CLEAN STREETS AS LONG AS YOU *DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD*
>>
>>1574749
>People hate people beyond a certain number
>Even in sub 1k towns you see people hating other people and staying away from eachother
that's because there is no voluntary association BY DESIGN

the walled city survived DESPITE the forces acting against it and you had a hodge podge of misfits forced in close vicinity

you make an argument that people should find a TRIBE and create their own COMMUNITIES instead of central planning
>>
>>1573024
>overrun with drugs and organized crime
one of the major reasons people WANTED to live there .. notice how there is not a free market for medication and medical treatment and the walled city had some of the cheapest dentists and doctors
>>
>>1572663
> natural ground level is the lowest level
> trams are on the lowest level
> community spaces above traffic spewing immense amounts of pollution
This is a good idea, but needs improvement:

> Natural ground will be Stratum V. Highways are placed physically underground
> Maximum use of the trolleybus and tram highly reduces pollution. Also, since the whole thing is covered, there's no visual pollution, and the tunnel top is a free frame for the trolley/tram/train wires
> Trolleybus and tram moved to stratum 4
> Stratum 4 has the bicycle highways, also
> Stratum 2, and 3 are universal highways for cars and cargo. Traffic calming will make sure that trucks have enough space always, and still 2x4 lanes in tunnels at high speeds ought to be enough

A real world example of this could be Vienna, which has a great underground highway network. The highways are drivable at 100 km/h+. They are underground, so the land above is developed on. The highways are directly connected to vast parking garages. Those avoid the inner city, which has 1, maybe 2 lanes at most, with a dense tram network and right of way sharing with trams. Trams always have the priority, and cars need to yield to trams going in/getting out of a stop. Also, public cycles are everywhere, while cars are restricted to 30 km/h, so you're incentivized to leave the car in the underground, and change to the excellent public transit or bike.
>>
>>1575762
lol how much of a lonely insular loser do you have to be get triggered by a picture of people shopping and vomit out those buzzwords? Spend less time on the Internet.
>>
>>1572663
What do they eat
>>
File: 2mmuvjd.jpg (65 KB, 640x508)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
ITT: people who think Kowloon is the same thing as the Kowloon Walled City
>>
>>1576993
are you stupid?
>>
>>1576671
Trolleybusses are an obsolete concept going nowhere now that battery tech is good
>>
>>1577705
You have trams, you are underground, so the infrastructure is free, and cables stay out of sight. Why do you want to spend more on battery buses?
>>
>>1575762
In fairness sunlight is cancer, everyone would be healthier with less sun
>>
>>1580166
Have you never heard of vitamin D?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.