[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 46 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

City parks are probably one of the most underappreciated aspects of urban infrastructure.

>Public space open to all nearly all the time that encourage healthy lifestyles
>Provides commercial opportunities for local vendors
>Increases value of local community, even in rundown areas
>Provides an attractive transportation experience with parkways

What do you like about parks? What are the best parks, in your experience?
>>
>>1562086
>Gold Medal Park, Minneapolis
>Scenic views of the Mississippi River
>Large green space within walking distance of key Minneapolis institutions
>>
>Meridian Hill Park
>Large grassy mall, with a fountain that gives you an overview of DC
>Local musicians provide a musical experience for locals and tourists alike
>>
>>1562088
>>
>Prospect Park, Brooklyn, NY
>Contains local cultural institutions
>Serves as a Central Park for Brooklynites
>Natural areas feel distant from city life but still accessible to New Yorkers
>>
>>1562086
>>1562087
>>1562088
>>1562089
>>1562090

Oh look, a bunch of prime spaces that the government has set aside and said no one is allowed to develop here completely arbitrarily. There could easily be affordable mid-rise housing here, or at least shelters for the homeless that so often end up calling parks their home.
>>
>>1562091
drug dealing park dwelling rapist detected
>>
>>1562091
They don't need all that space. They could easily make do with just 25% of it.
>>
Mt Tabor in Portland is really nice desu
>>
Seattle’s Discovery Park is pretty based and redpilled too. I never see any minorities at city parks which is interesting.
>>
>>1562091
I'd rather live like a man, not like an ant
>>
>>1562091
>There could easily be affordable mid-rise housing here, or at least shelters for the homeless that so often end up calling parks their home.
so could a fucking mall though
>>
>>1562086
I like this picture and the bridge.
>>
File: IMG-20200603-WA0033.jpg (1.79 MB, 4096x2304)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
>>1562114
Mt. Pagasarri, Bilbao
>>
>>1562173
I've always wanted to see the philippines
>>
File: devil-1.jpg (88 KB, 800x450)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>1562167
looks too sound
>>
>>1562091
>park bad, overcrowded housing good
>>
>>1562090
Also a big Prospect Park fan. I lived near there for a while and my kid grew up in the park. I think it’s Olmsted and Vaux’s masterpiece and Central Park was just a warmup. Some added bonuses include a Revolutionary War battle site and a Quaker cemetery that predates the park. Greenwood Cemetery next to it is like Prospect Park with dead people and the two together make an awesome green belt for an overcrowded borough.
>>
>>1562234
Prospect park would be alright if it wasn't surrounded by and filled with br--klynites
>>
File: 1580357244123.jpg (1.07 MB, 735x800)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
I like drinking in parks
>>
I've got a great park I live near, not exactly beautiful but large and open ranged, sadly because it's public we get all sorts of human detritus
>polish builders drinking cheap alcohol inside the only wooded area who dump cans everywhere
>Within the same area if you keep walking you'll stumble upon packs of takeaway that had been dumped
>If you're really unlucky you might find some human waste alongside some toilet paper
>Teenagers who spend all night using balloons taking nitrogen canisters just dumping it leaving it for someone else to pick up
>Families who just eat lots of food, sometimes they buy about five pizzas and just leave the boxes
Really makes me sad
>>
>>1562251
You just need to be more tolerant
>>
>>1562251
White fragility
>>
>>1562251
You wouldn’t know culture if it hit you in the face.
>>
>>1562251
>calling poles who drink "detritus"
Maybe you're the detritus, retard
>>
>>1562304
>.t Samazvitch Lazpinski
>>
Baltimore's Patterson Park.
>>
>>1562495
>>
>>1562256
poc apologist
>>
>>1562251
Now you see why private property > public property
>>
>>
>>1562114
love riding in fog
>>
Großer Garten (Great Garden) in Dresden, about 1.8 square kilometers. At the center is chateau that served as a getaway for the Saxon royal house. It also contains lawns, fountains, ponds, a botanical garden, a zoo, an amphitheater and a few other installations. Across one of the main entrances is the city's football stadium.

Admittedly there's a VW factory in one of the corners nowadays, but that section had always been built up with exhibition halls and was never botanical, and that factory is designed to be toured by visitors and dedicated to building high end models like the VW Phaeton and certain Bentley models and now the electric VW ID3. It also runs freight trams across the city for supplies.
>>
File: rcp_dc.jpg (15 KB, 183x275)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>1562755
foggy mornings and foggy evenings in parks are some of the nicest shit I've ever experienced.
>>
>>1562090
>>1562234
Just to give an /n/ angle to Prospect Park, there are convenient subway stops all around the perimeter of the park. It’s a great place to bike though a little crowded at times and you have to be wary of pedestrians. In recent years they’ve tried to get cars out of the park and it’s become more restricted over time. At one time there were a number of stables nearby and there’s still a bridle path and one stable left. Until the 1950s, Brooklyn trolleys ran on all roads around the park and an occasional rail still pokes up from the pavement.
There was a big hoohah a while back where they wanted to put a bike lane in Prospect Park West with a lot of NIMBY opposition, including Mrs. Chuck Schumer who lives across the park as a leading anti path voice. It’s there now and has worked out fine. They’ve also reconfigured the traffic circles around the park to make them less deadly for bikes and pedestrians.
Outside the park, Ocean Parkway and Eastern Parkway were continuations of Olmsted and Vaux’s design and were modeled after the tree lined boulevards of Europe. They’ve survived mostly intact into the auto age.
>>
>>1562086
I like walking in parks.
I don't like it when there's other people.
>>
>>1562091
cringe
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (35 KB, 448x318)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
I wish we had marble European statues in our parks. Would be epic
>>
>>1562218
Is that supposed to be a joke?
>>
>>1562251
Ah yes basically every town in England
>>
>>1562086
I like my local park. It's not huge, about 100 acres, but it connects to another park and a trailway runs in a loop between them. It makes up about a 4 mile walk that I do several times a week. There's a little bit of nature with the wooded areas, though most of it is open greens with treelines, pavilions, playgrounds, and sports fields. Cool thing is that it has a skate park, as well as a massive dog park in addition to the normal amenities. No history behind the area, nothing special about it beyond the good amenities, but just a nice place to get out and walk.
>>
>>>/an/
>>>/out/
>>
>>1563782
/n/ is the urban planning board, and parks can also connect different parts of the city, being important paths for pedestrians to get around, which is a type of transportation.
>>
>>1564180
>/n/ is the urban planning board
No, it's the transportation board. Fuck off.
>>
>>1564180
>>1564182
>/n/ is the urban planning board
>No, it's the transportation board

Latter is correct, but that doesn't mean we can't try to actually get /n/ to be changed to be transportation and urban planning/housing issues. You can always ask 4chan to expand the focus on the feedback page.
>>
File: Virginia-Lake.jpg (242 KB, 1920x660)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
This is my home towns premier park. 15 acre lake with swans, geeese, coots and shags. A walk through aviary with about a 100 birds from around the world. There is a huge greenhouse with exotic plants, a sculpture/ Zen garden, a cozy cafe, well maintained and clean toilets, well planted trees that provide shade and seasonal colour. My town is lame and boring but this park is ace and a stroll around ( always feels safe and non- sketchy) refortifies the soul.
>>
File: bwparkway.jpg (87 KB, 640x345)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>1564182
>Parkways don't exist
>>
File: P1120393.jpg (374 KB, 1600x1200)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
>>1564192
>tfw they got rid of the goose this year
anyway they need to add more white swans
the black ones are taking over
>>
>>1562091
Pretty sure nobody on /n/ is THAT stupid to say parks aren't necessary.
>>
>>1562090
I’m a big fan of prospect park except that one side’s completely covered by the gardens and when I first went there I had to walk a mile to get around it. I kept thinking there was JUST ABOUT to be an entrance to the park but no.
>>
>Go to small park in suburbs
>A bunch of homeless people are hanging out there and eye you as you ride by
>>
>>1565878
>Build drainage ditch
>Throw a few cheap benches and low budget jungle gym
>Call it a park

Suburban parks are absolutely cursed
>>
>>1566241
i now fully realize why i never wanted to go to the park
>>
Bump
>>
Are anyone else's cities having issues with homeless tent cities in parks? It's been a new problem in my community. There's mixed ideas on closing homeless shelters due to COVID, housing people in extended stay hotels, preparing for the winter which can get freezing cold, etc.
>>
>>1562256
>>1562257
>>1562304
Love leftshits get slapped in the face by the reality ushered in by their deluded ideologies and the effect they had.

For you, it's will be the gallows
>>
I like taking my dog to off-leash dog parks.
>>
>>1569920
The only solution is that people with jobs and taxpayers need to get on their knees and start sucking the dicks of homeless people and playing with the balls and gagging on them. They deserve it because they chose to do drugs all day instead of being productive members of society.
>>
>>1562234
Montgomery Clift is buried in that quaker cemetery
>>
>>1562090
>tfw played there daily as a child
>tfw did most of my teen drinking and got my first bj there
>tfw got married there
>tfw still live within a 10 minute walk
Thank you for posting this. I love Prospect Park.
>>
>>1565768 here
I wish someone knew my pain. I was so fucking mad I had to walk all the way past the botanical gardens to find a park entrance.
>>
>>1570300
I was trying to remember which Hollywood star was buried there. It’s also divided up into two sections dating back to a Quaker feud schism from the 1800s.
>>
>>1570301
Did every major life moment happen in this park for you? Will you ensure your first child will be born in the park?
>>
>>1562086
Is that Philadelphia?
>>
>>1572417
Rock Creek Park, DC
>>
>>1569920
you sure love thinking about hanging people
>>
>>1562251
Parks in the U.K. almost never have enough bins. During summer it’s common to find mountains of trash over slowing from the few bins there are. No wonder people dump their shit; there’s nowhere else to put it.
>>
>>1562114
It's ok. Too fucking crowded on any day that's not shit, and needs to be fully closed off to cars.
>>
File: ColumbusPark_web03.jpg (136 KB, 1024x576)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>1562086
Meh picture of the park closest to me, it's bretty gud
>>
>>1573170
Is that a boathouse?
>>
File: IMG_1095.jpg (915 KB, 1920x1440)
915 KB
915 KB JPG
Do national parks count?
The Peak District is the best.
>>
>>1573312
nasty hills though. MAMILs go out there and expect to get away with traditional road gearing, you'll see them standing out of the saddle and wobbling around at a walking pace.
also somehow, cagies are even bigger retards when driving outside of the city. it's as if they're actively trying to kill you.
>>
File: IMG_0641.jpg (557 KB, 1440x1920)
557 KB
557 KB JPG
>>1573317
desu cycling there is pretty sketchy as the roads are so fast and winding. Boy racers from shitholes like Rochdale and Bradford love to fuck with you if you're on a bike. But there are plenty of old gravel tracks and singletrack to ride on as well if you wanna avoid cages. Great for MTBing too, apparently.
However, for walking, hiking, bouldering, and camping it is absolutely mint. The only problem is how busy it can get on a nice weekend.
>>
File: Moscow 26.jpg (347 KB, 1100x733)
347 KB
347 KB JPG
>>
In Boston we buried the central artery and turned the whole thing into one big park. Instead of ugly cager blight that blocks out the sun we now have miles of greenspace that is really enjoyable in the good weather. The Big Dig was an absolute shitshow but the end result was worth it.
>>
>>1573376
I didn't realize Moscow had so many trees in the city
>>
>>1574212
That actually looks pretty amazing to have so much greenspace near the CBD. Not many cities can pull it off, so it's nice to see Boston was able to do it.
>>
>>1574223
Yeah and it's not just the greenway either, look around at that whole aerial shot and you'll see little pockets of trees everywhere. Boston is a comfy city to walk around.
>>
>>1574212
This is cool af. Can’t believe it happened in the US.
>>
>>1574305
Boston built different
>>
>>1562088
Full of graffiti and minorities. No thanks.
>>
>>1569913
Yeah. Phoenix here and it was brutal in the summer, warmest summer on recent record. Normally I don't pity junkies and homeless but damn I felt bad for them this year. Tent cities aren't such a huge problem here but there were more than usual, yeah.
Somehow it seems homelesses don't get covid, I swear those fuckers are immune, once you live in vermin and eat trash your body probably builds up crazy resistance even to the Chinese disease.
>>
>>1574519
im surprised such an eyesore of a freeway was built in the CBD in the first place, imagine how many kino buildings were knocked down to build it
should have been a tunnel from the beginning, like montreal
>>
File: boston_before_after.png (1.23 MB, 835x849)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>>1576236
Boston downtown before and after the freeway
>>
>>1576236
>>1576612
source
http://iqc.ou.edu/2015/01/21/60yrsnortheast/
>>
>>1576236
I'm not sure how many buildings were knocked down but there are a bunch you can clearly see where they got cut off at the end to make room for the Central Artery. The bigger tragedy IMO was that the West End was completely razed for "urban renewal" (read: we don't want poor immigrants living on valuable land).
>>
>>1576867
I read that Jacobs piece for my class. It was pretty interesting and kinda sad.
>>
>>1562173
Jan ezazu neure kriston pollada

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.