[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 88 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Skytrain 2025.png (240 KB, 1151x810)
240 KB
240 KB PNG
Is your city building more rail lines?
Yes, my region is making multiple new lines. A 6km subway and a 16km elevated line for a total of around $6 billion
>>
File: 920x920 (1).jpg (52 KB, 583x920)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
hi fellow Cascadian yes we are :)
>>
>>1558578
this is fucking stupid no one lives in langley they should build the thing in surrey along king george where there's, you know, people
>>
c r o s s r a i l
>>
>>1559394
i never understood why we need this is going from reading to essex so in demand?
>>
>>1558578
skytrain to UBC when?
expanding along the old BC Hydro line is just a way of pretending they are doing something while spending as little as possible, instead of building where it's needed.
>>
>>1559401
its to allow commuters living outside london to reach london easier
relieve pressure on the network in general
increase capacity
economic stimulation
yadda yadda
>>
File: images (7).jpg (78 KB, 434x707)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
Yes, adding two new stations plus upgrades to three existing stations. The project was based on a study conducted in 2007 by then Labor government that the current growth of passenger rail would have caused congestion and urgent rail extensions were necessary. Liberal government was voted in 2012 and subsequently scrapped the idea only to offer an inferior version of Labor's original plan. Labor were voted back in 2015 after Liberal's disastrous single term and scrapped their shitty version and put the original superior version back in the place and is now under full construction and should be finished by 2022. Had it not been for that single liberal term, it may have been completed by now. Never trust liberals.
>>
>>1559401
if it was about point to point journeys, there wouldn't be so many stations, don't you think?
>>
The Eglinton Crosstown is currently under construction. It's expected to open in September 2022. The Finch West LRT is also under construction with opening expected in 2023.
>>
>>1559146
just wait another decade bro lmao
how come china can build rail in a week and it takes us a decade?
>>
>>1559553
environmental reviews

we have private property and they basically dont, not to mention we have some very strong private property laws

workers rights actually exist here though ill admit unions do slow shit down a lot.

some of its probably due to needing to design for a likely 9.0 earthquake in the future.

We have very complex geography with a fuckton of hills, We had to build a train on a floating bridge something that has never been done before anywhere in the world so that had to be designed from scratch, There are a few waterways that need to be crossed. The West Seattle line needs a bridge high enough for container ships to go under but some people want a tunnel. The Ballard Line is also over a waterway so the debate over a very tall bridge or a tunnel is slowing progress as well.

All of these things add up insanely to cost. this whole system once done will have costed nearly 80 billion dollars but it will be worth it. Our traffic is fucking horrendous and because of our geography widening our freeways is simply not possible

There are a lot of things that make thing system take for fucking ever to build and those are the main ones.
>>
In Austin we’re voting on a light rail expansion that includes a small subway tunnel.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2020-09-25/from-light-rail-to-a-downtown-tunnel-the-parts-of-project-connect/
>>
>>1558578
Nothing is in construction to my knowledge, and it's been a long time since the last major expansion to the network. The last major expansion was finished in 2006, since then they've mostly done improvements to what already exists and added a few short pieces of track with maybe a station or two.
They just shut down a short tram line with three stations to redirect the trams to a new small track in the new rich district, breaking connections for a lot of people because the stations they shut down were important for connecting to trains, subway and buses while the new line leads nowhere, and some people lost their trams altogether.

There are plans for two major expansions to the subway, though, but they just keep planning and planning and they get more and more expensive and then back to planning to cut costs. Both expansions are assumed to happen, but it takes time.
There's also recommendation for at least two major expansions to the tram network that may happen at some point in the future. But things take a long time, I want things to open soon but nothing has started construction so probably close to a decade before anything new opens.
>>
>>1559405
>skytrain to UBC when?
Probably not for a while. Phase 3 of the metro van transit plan that runs from 2020-2030 is coming out in spring. But I don't think there's enough money for more Broadway skytrain. They should just build it on a elevated platform past Arbutus. Subway till UBC is a pointless luxury meant to appease the super rich that don't want skytrain noise
>>
>>1559394
>>1559443
Why doesn't London ever build rail lines south of the Thames?
>>
>>1559553
Less about China, more about America. Canada is in a golden age of transit construction. American inner city segregation pretty much permanently poisoned urban life in most of America
>>
>>1559666
>appease the super rich that don't want skytrain noise
This.
>Live in city
>Complain about city noise
Fuckem
>>
>>1559668
Uhh that second reply is Brisbane, not London
>>
>>1559891
The names are so similar, my mistake
Also, bus connections to the new line
>>
>>1559401
It's not about Redding to Essex, it's about letting people from Redding get across London eastward and people from Essex get across London westward without needing a transfer.
>>
>>1558578
At what point does it stop being a RT line and start functioning like a commuter train line? Riding from Langley to Waterfront sounds like quite a long way to go every day.
>>
>>1559676
Urban cores are the whitest they've been in many, many decades.
>>
>>1563504
Maybe before Rona / George Floyd, all the hipsters are going to run back into the country now you can do their tech jobs from home
>>
>>1563636
Everyone who predicts the death of urban life has been consistently proven wrong for many decades. It was a stupid prediction then and it's even stupider now.
>>
Sydney Metro
>>
>>1563674
Urban life *was* dead for literally decades in the vast majority of the country. And it still is in many ways.

If you can't raise a family and send kids to public school on median household income then your city is in abject failure.
>>
Kill me.
>>
>>1563636
>>1563674

Suburbs don't provide the same level of cultural and economic resources that cities do. I doubt there's going to be a large exodus of the cities unless the suburbs revamp large aspects of their development. What's more likely is that people will move out of large cities like New York, LA, SF, and relocate to smaller cities or Sunbelt cities like Houston, Austin, Nashville, etc.
>>
File: purpleline.png (390 KB, 588x387)
390 KB
390 KB PNG
>>1558578
My city, no. My region, sorta. In the town where my university is, they've been building a light rail to provide a suburban connection for the Metro lines.

However, thanks to a poorly negotiated PPP, it's fallen through mid-production. This was supposed to start service in about a year and a half. Now roads are torn up and there might be a delay of at least a year with construction.

The state also cancelled a crosstown rail line for the city of Baltimore that was already funded and paid for.

Shit fucking sucks here.
>>
>>1564065
That's already been happening for a long time without actually lowering the population of the more expensive cities.
>>
>>1559595
>In Austin we’re voting on a light rail expansion that includes a small subway tunnel.
Austin has been voting down rail referendums for decades. You’d think a city with such a progressive/eco self image would do better, especially compared to Dallas which has some fairly extensive rail for a sunbelt city.
>>
>>1564205
That image is a super recent thing for Austin. It's really only been since after the Great Recession that Austin has become what it's known as today.
>>
File: västlänken-gothenburg.png (2.25 MB, 1200x1200)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB PNG
Dubs and they get stuck in the mud.
>>
>>1564220
Austin has had the image of a liberal blue oasis in the middle of red Texas since at least the 70s, a place where rednecks and hippies could smoke weed and drink Lone Star while listening to Willie. Same with the green thing. It’s been a long struggle between tree huggers and developers and the developers won. Imagine if Austin growth had been built along rail lines, instead of the sunbelt sprawl blob model.
>>
File: nfea9obmzlz41.jpg (166 KB, 923x713)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
NDP won re-election, it's actually happening
>>
>>1564062
I see no issues with this? Is it a subway?
>>
>>1565593
Do you really think Kansas City would have a subway?
>>
>>1565593
>>1565596
Also, the graphic literally says streetcar right on it. Come the fuck on.
>>
File: 1552542501418.png (384 KB, 1070x1070)
384 KB
384 KB PNG
If I were president every American city with more than 500,000 people would have a three line metro, and AMRTAK would serve at least one station in every state's county (parish in Louisiana). Live in a shitty podunk town with 2,000 people? You get two trains a day.
>>
>>1565602
This is a terrible metric. There are only 37 cities with over 500k people and that excludes a ton that are the population centers of much larger metro areas.
>>
File: routemap.png (80 KB, 1680x2060)
80 KB
80 KB PNG
>>1559146
Likewise, if the measure passes this November, we'll get this, some BRT improvements, and some road work to fix fucked up old intersections.
>>
>>1565606
No one means the city proper when talking about population. It's almost always the metro region
>>
>>1565654
Does Portland still have those slow ass non signal priority intersections for it's trams?
>>
>>1565684
Depends, by trams to you mean MAX or the streetcars? No for the former, sometimes for the latter. They did, however, experiment recently with giving the streetcar priority and saw big improvements.

https://portlandstreetcar.org/news/2019/11/grand-avenue-transit-lane-shows-25-travel-time-savings
>>
>>1565666
I meant the city proper, but yeah there are a lot of metro areas like Tampa Bay and Hampton Roads that should have metros
>>
>>1565596
In fairness, Cleveland has a subway and it has less people than KC.
>>
>>1566242
The Red Line in Cleveland opened in the 1950s when the population was around 900,000 people.
>>
>>1566521
It's also only 1 line and its main job is connecting the outskirts with downtown
>>
>>1558578
Yes, finally building a proper subway and extending existing light rail lines, and rebuilding a commuter rail line after 20 years in the backburner, I just hope the other elevated rail lines in the pipeline survive the next couple of elections
>>
>>1558578
Wish they would build a line down to Tsawwassen Mills or something. Living in Tsawwassen sucks for public transit, it takes almost 2 hours to get downtown.
>>
File: Louisville.jpg (147 KB, 1110x824)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
Nope, this place just fucking sucks. What, to you Anons, would a good metro in Louisville look like?
>>
File: oversikt123-1024x853[1].png (1023 KB, 1024x853)
1023 KB
1023 KB PNG
Far from my city, but I think it's the only new city rail in construction in Norway.

A new light rail line in Bergen. The final station on the map, "Spelhaugen", had to be scrapped due to low budget though.

It may open in 2022 perhaps.
>>
File: 20201031_125208.jpg (704 KB, 1080x1978)
704 KB
704 KB JPG
>>1568050
North-South LRT would work. It would hit a university, college, old Louisville, downtown, the arena, convention centre, amusement park and airport. Louisville perfectly set up to have a really good line if they wanted.
>>
>>1567746
Where
>>1567823
That's never happening. South Delta is the peak of NIMBY. It would be behind full Broadway Subway, North Shore line and King George Skytrain. Hell, I could see a line on Scott Road in North Delta/Newton before a line gets built to T-mills
>>
>>1568641
I always imagines a nice streetcar line like that would be nice. I always imagines three lines that loop around the downtown and extend outwards from there would be nice and practical.
>>
File: crosstown-map.jpg (148 KB, 750x434)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>1558578
in Toronto we've had this line under construction for like 12 years
>>
>>1559456
hey toronto bro
>>
tramway incoming
was nice to have tea on the old helsinki rolling stock
>>
File: niwrcgxm5iy41.png (1.22 MB, 3555x4893)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB PNG
The Green Line will make Calgary the most transit oriented city in flyover country; 3 lines and 65 stops for a city of just 1.2 million. Conservative politicians and billionaires are trying their hardest to kill it
>>
>>1570652
>that street level section around the Golden mile
Simple question. Why?
>>
>>1571294
eglinton is so wide out that way, wider than Finch West where that LRT is going. The Eglinton Crosstown is essentially operating two services:
1. It is your midtown subway line, ripening midtown to new development and better downtown connection.
2. In the east end it's an improved tramway service. Serving streetcar like stops, most riders only using the east end sections wouldn't think it's much different than the Saint Claire streetcar, I say that because Eglinton will dip below Don Mills road for an underground station. This was due to traffic but also with anticipation of the relief line north.

Point being the east and west ends of the line offer different services. In it's entirety it provides redundancy for Line 2, and provides more access to and from Scarborough. The rolling stock are flexity freedom, bombardier
essentially just longer streetcars
>>
>>1565602
Connecting every county would be a huge waste of resources. You must be a european or a naive cityfag. Most of america doesn’t have the population density to make that reasonable. The only reasonable goals for the next 50 to 100 years are: (1) improve public transit within urban cores (2) connect the urban cores with HSR (3) encourage sidewalks and bike paths be build in small to medium size cities.

The fact of the matter is, most of america is not compatible with rail at this point in time. There is no point wasting trillions of dollars to run a train to a county if no one will use it. You can argue that it is better for the super long term to have the lines there but you could have spent that money on something that isn’t a huge money sink. Why should John Mcfarmerson take a train to a city if the city doesn’t even have light rail? So he can just pay for an uber when he already has a truck at home that he could have drove there instead?
>>
Quebec City Tramway rejected because it's doesn't provide enough of a benefit.
https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/quebec-city-sent-back-to-the-drawing-board-on-tramway-plan
>>
>>1563504
It's not that. In response to the excesses of Robert Moses and the like, political actions during the 1970s/1980s significantly strengthened what Fukuyama called "the vetocracy," making it substantially easier to slow or shut down infrastructural projects. It's part of why even compared to other developed countries, US infrastructure projects are quite expensive and prone to delays/errors.
>>
>>1568644
Manila. We made the same mistakes as the burgers by underfunding infrastructure in the past 30-odd years and making everything car-centric, but that's changing now. Also funnily enough libs here hate infrastructure spending. This is stuff we needed 10 years ago, but at least it's here now, as long as it survives 'rona and the next election.
>>
Melbournefag here.
We've got the Suburban Rail Loop coming, but it's not going to start construction until 2022 and it's going to take like forty fucking years to finish because they have to acquire shitloads of properties and build this shit mostly undergroud.
It will essentially link most of the existing lines and make shit easier for commuters.
>Cheltenham (Frankston line)
>Clayton (Pakenham line)
>Monash University (new station)
>Glen Waverley (Glen Waverley line)
>Burwood (new station)
>Box Hill (Belgrave and Lilydale lines)
>Doncaster (new station)
>Heidelberg (Hurstbridge line)
>Bundoora (new station)
>Reservoir (Mernda line)
>Fawkner (Upfield line)
>Broadmeadows (Craigieburn line)
>Melbourne Airport (new station)
>Sunshine (Sunbury line)
>Werribee (Werribee line)
We also have the Metro Tunnel project being built. It will create an underground link between South Kensington and South Yarra stations.
>South Kensington (existing, into tunnel)
>Arden (new station)
>Parkville (new station)
>State Library (new station, connects with Melbourne Central in the City Loop)
>Town Hill (new station, connects with Flinders Street in the City Loop)
>Anzac (new station)
>South Yarra (existing, out of tunnel)
There's also plans for the Melbourne Airport line because it's baffling that there's somehow no rail link to the damn airport, as well as a link to the smaller Avalon Airport
The Cranbourne line will also be extended to Clyde, which will mean reconstructing part of the abandoned South Gippsland line. First they have to duplicate the single tracks and remove crossings as part of the ongoing project to remove at least fifty of them.
Potentially more extensions on other lines may come too.
>>
>>1571524
>US had an extremely extensive passenger rail system until after WW2 with much less population
>apparently enough population density to support a massive highway system
nigga
you dumb
>>
>>1559668
>Why doesn't London ever build rail lines south of the Thames?
It's already got masses of them there, so it mostly doesn't need a lot more. The network weaknesses in the London area are all to do with through routes and cross-river routes.
>>
>>1573367
Hell yeah inject that LOOP straight into my veins, I can't wait.

$2.2bn for the SRL in the next budget is great. As an eastie, can't wait for stage one to start digging.
>>
File: image (2).jpg (1.02 MB, 2048x1460)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>1574142
I dunno, seems extremely lacking compared to the norf
>>
>>1573345
Blessed, Manila is too huge to not have all those built already. Anti infrastructure politicians deserve the guillotine. One of the only government investments that actually improves the economy
>>
Montreal REM "light rail" also finally revealed it's trains
>>
>>1575631
The south is doing fine
>>
>>1571007
The money needed to build the green line would clearly be better spent bailing out oil companies so they can be sold to the Chinese or Americans for pennies on the dollar.
>>
File: louisville.png (549 KB, 1128x860)
549 KB
549 KB PNG
>>1568050
>>1568782
what about heavy rail along this rail corridor as the backbone of the transit system?
it doesn't connect directly to the airport or downtown (about 15 minutes walk from either) but this could be fixed with a shuttle bus at the airport and an E-W light rail or BRT along market street downtown
>>
>>1575631
It's mostly commuter rail south of the river, the Underground is mostly north. No idea why it's happened this way.
>>
Stockholm - Blue line extension from Kungsträdgården to Nacka C and from Akalla to Barakarby. The extension is also going to replace the segment of the Green line from Gullmarsplan to Hagsätra. Yellow line will run parallel to Green line(s) 14 and 17 and divert as an extension from Stockholm-Odenplan station to the football stadium in Solna known as Arenastaden/Friends Arena.

These proposed lines are currently under construction, the Blue line is seeing the most progress with bedrock being blasted out daily and bored through with TBM's, they are also working on two deepwater tunnels for the Blue line as it runs underneath the waters (Saltsjön & Hammarby Kanal) of Stockholm. Hammarby Kanal station will be located undernath a channel between two quarters in Hammarby, it will be our first underground deepwater station.

Estimated total cost of the proposed lines are 32 billion SEK (~€3.1 billion)

There are future plans to build an additional metro line from Älvsjö (Commuter rail hub) - Fridhemsplan (interchange station to Blue and Green line).
>>
File: barkarby.jpg (294 KB, 1166x893)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
>>1576102
Like in other cities, much effort is laid into not competing with cars. Odin knows what would have happened if the Nacka extension had happened in the 1970s and the Citybanan commuter rail tunnel in the 1980s, both as originally planned.
>>
File: carte-environnement-rem.jpg (243 KB, 1997x1327)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
yes, and it absolutely stinks of corruption
>plan came out of nowhere and was essentially forced through by corrupt premier of quebec and mayor of montreal
>completely cannibalizes the only electrified commuter rail line in canada
>forced local transit agency to sell off a 5km tunnel under mount royal, killing off any plans of any train service using that direct connection to central station besides REM
>approach to airport is from the fucking north instead of the originally planned south, making the 100 million dollar shell station built for southern approach redudant, will be parking
>aformentioned northern approach requires tunelling under the fucking runways instead of what would have been a 500m spur from existing mainline
>the brossard branch goes to a fucking mall at the intersection of 2 highways
>the west island branch runs along a fucking highway and stops at shopping malls instead of following the existing CN/CP mainline that already carries VIA and commuter rail traffic into downtown
>the developer/owner CDPQInfra have purchased property and land all around the proposed stations in order to sell them off to developers at a tidy sum
>costs steadily rising in the order of billions
>completely ignores the existing transit agencies plans for improving and expanding service in the region
what a fucking boondoggle. i am sick and tired of my city being presented with white elephant after white elephant due to the incompetence and corruption at city hall and quebec city
i hope the cagies enjoy their 10 billion dollar park and ride suburb express
>>
>>1576742
oh forgot to mention the "correspondance A40" station is where a commuter rail line that used to terminate at central station will now end because this stupid fucking project uses proprietary tech and is unable to share track unlike any other form of generic heavy rail. not too terrible considering only 5,000 people a day use that 700 million dollar piece of shit
>>
>>1559456
why the fuck have the lakeshore east and lakeshore west lines not already been electrified and why is metrolinx instead engaging in a pissing contest with the TTC by building their own line rail line on a corridor already served by a streetcar line
>>
>>1576751
>why the fuck have the lakeshore east and lakeshore west lines not already been electrified
Because Metrolinx is slow as hell (and I also woulnd't be surprised if the Conservatives are interfering to find ways to cut costs, I mean the Cons already killed any chance of Kitchener getting 2 way-all day GO service before 2030).

>why is metrolinx instead engaging in a pissing contest with the TTC by building their own line rail line on a corridor already served by a streetcar line
Because a Subway under Queen (or into the Downtown core in general) has to be built and should have been 30 years ago. Line 1 is overcapacity and the TTC needs to divert people away from Bloor-Yonge station which is an absolute mad house during rush hour (I've experienced the delight of having to wait for multiple trains to pass by because they are all Tokyo levels of packed). The City has been talking about a Subway under Queen since I believe 1911, yet it still has yet to be built, and I don't trust the Ontario line will get built either.
>>
My city has had Śródmieście (Downtown) station and Centralna (Central) station for decades
Now they're (re)building the Główna (Main) station
From an outsider's perspective, how silly does that sound?
>>
>>1559179
why do that when they can entice new development from chinese buyers
>>
>>1575634
is this part of the metro system?
>>
>>1577463
On the first glance it doesn't sound silly. It depends on so many variables like
>what operational concept is to be used?
>as in, will the new station be for long-distance trains, regional, suburban trains; will it only lead out to the east or east and west
>how saturated is the rest of the system that a new terminal would be necessary?
etc

giv more info and I'll gladly opine
>>
>>1579028
Separate, it's an automated "light rail" system which is actually an okay idea, but with Quebec being Quebec, it's executed in the most retarded way possible.

Out of Gare Central in Montreal there is one tunnel through Mont Royal. The REM is reconfiguring it using some fucking retarded proprietary technology that makes it no longer possible for mainline heavy rail to run through the tunnel. This means commuter service will no longer be able to run downtown, this means there's no potential for Via Rail through service (currently service from Ottawa to Quebec City reverses at Montreal, it's pretty stupid). And of course since this is Quebec the entire thing is a grift that the government used to give themselves and their friends a nice fat sack of money.
>>
File: tram.jpg (239 KB, 1024x855)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
Yes and it's a pretty fucked up but if they actually build the lines going through the city centre it'll be somewhat useful.
The ones that are green in the picture are already operating but they're fucking useless.
>>
File: nationalrail.png (518 KB, 987x790)
518 KB
518 KB PNG
>>1581227
forgot to say they're trams

we also have national rail but while the tracks that are already operative while undergoing double tracking are already pretty decent the expansion plans are straight up retarded.

Really wish they brought back the subway project along the main north-south axis (currently a bus with 4 minutes headway officially but it's actually random).
>>
I'd love it if my city brought trams back,it ease up on traffic in some parts,Though i doubt it will go all on the old routes but who knows,That and the city council are idiots who don't see bigger potential than water taxes.
>>
You know it
>>
>>1582085
>those missed connections with the N, R and F (and possibly E and M?)
I really want to know what inner city college the MTA planners flunked out of.
>>
File: LRT-Jakarta.png (237 KB, 531x289)
237 KB
237 KB PNG
Here in Jakarta, the extension of a Dinky LRT line got in limbo due to the City Govt's proposal to reroute the line and studies for the existing is already done and still awaiting greenlight to this day
>>
>>1583525
Why are they building more transit if the city is going to be moved?
>>
>>1583613
Moving the capital dosen't mean moving the economy
>>
>>1583895
I see, I think I misinterpreted or misread the news about it.
>>
File: lrt_jabodebek_ist.jpg (132 KB, 800x464)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
Currently the Greater Jakarta LRT Project is almost complete but depot construction started very late due to land problems. Also unlike the MRT and "LRT", the design is completely indigenous and the subject of Nationalist Circlejerking on media. Yet it has some flaws like how there are not enough stations in the City center and the Suburban sections have wide gaps and the fact that the suburban stations are built mostly near the contractor's property projects...
>>
File: EoHTa8jUwAAY8N0.jpg (140 KB, 1559x887)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
Also the fact that it's Downtown terminus is 800m from the main Transit hub, one of the factors being some boomer developer's underground parking lot beneath the street
>>
File: Tren Eléctrico.jpg (37 KB, 800x534)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
This is the planned electric train for the capital region in Costa Rica. Our current train is a fucking shitshow.
>>
>>1584037
At least you have a train.
t. Bogotá
>>
>>1584054
I'll give you my train free of charge. Don't worry.
>>
>>1559668
Fuck you South London has more transport links/options than West London
>>
>>1584037
>>1584054
>>1584058
Bogotafag isn't wrong. As long as you have something running on those tracks the chances of the railway getting improved are much better than if they're disused. Once you close a railway it's much more likely to be completely dismantled sooner or later.
>>
>>1575631
Compare West London to all the other areas we have the fewest number of lines, if you live passed Ealing there is literally just the Piccadilly Line and the Central Line which are miles apart. If you ignore Tfl rail/crossrail the Piccadilly Line and Central line are 7 miles apart between Northolt and Hatton Cross
>>
>>1579042
The new station, Warszawa Główna, will only have regional and suburban trains going west.

Ot actually makes sense since now those trains won't have to make the trek easy across the river before they reverse and go back. Plus the new station is a terminus in the center of Warsaw very close by to a lot of businesses and shopping centers
>>
the only extension SEPTA is getting is a spur of the NHSL to King of Prussia if they get the funding
>>
>>1582323
they build so many lines in Manhattan and neglect the rest of the city
>>
>>1564035
>metro
>stations more spaced out than the suburban rail network
well done, australia
>>
Our city is slow as shit, it’s taken them 5 years to be like 50% done with this stupid extension project. At this rate of growth it’ll be 20 years before it’s even near my house
>>
>>1585879
Hey, we're trying our best lol. But it does appear that Sydney Metro: north-west is just another suburban "Sydney Trains" railway line, operating under the title of a metro. Sydney metro west, when it opens, should operate more along the lines of a traditional metro rapid transport system.
>>
File: UjRWGyI.png (950 KB, 1240x958)
950 KB
950 KB PNG
>>1585934
what are the streetcars like?
>>
Since the greater transit funding and proper MAX new line is out for a while, I guess there's the streetcar expansion to look forward to... Hope it continues to reach into the more remote northern neighborhoods
>>
File: REM_Est_Map.jpg (153 KB, 740x320)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
This was just announced within the past few days.
>>
>>1585934
it's nicer now with the newer street cars since the older ones had a more herky jerky ride quality yet, traffic is still pretty much the same.The 501 is my favourite route since it takes you through the most interesting neighbourhoods.
>>
Yes.

In fact I can see one of the new stations being built from my backyard.
>>
>>1558578
No. I live in a state full of anti-transit troglodytes. Even in its largest and overwhelmingly liberal city, the mayor barely got enough support to use FREE federal dollars to build an ass-tier streetcar that goes in a 2-mile loop downtown. It’s a shared traffic streetcar that sits at red lights and gets places slower than a bus. Once i encountered a 15 minute delay while the driver got out and walked into local businesses looking for someone who had parked their car on the tracks.

Fuck Wisconsin and fuck streetcars
>>
>>1559593
>environmental reviews
Not so much. The track is up. But very slowly. The caternary is going to take those three guys with one pickup truck years to string.

Sound Transit is a make-work project. But also a giant tax district and finance scam. People will get rich of the fees selling bonds.

If this was China, project managers would have been taken out and shot for working so slowly. China actually builds things to use them.
>>
It's been being built for far too long, but it's scheduled to be done next December
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/about-the-green-line-extension-project#project-area-map-
>>
File: fornebubanen.png (336 KB, 1680x815)
336 KB
336 KB PNG
So supposedly, the new Fornebubanen metro line has just started construction. They say it'll be finished in 2027

It will connect new development on the Fornebu peninsula with the city and the metro system and train stations because they aren't able to fit in enough buses on the road for all the demand.
I suppose it'll also be useful for people traveling for people who arrive by train from the west and are going to the Majorstua, so they can skip the train ride into the city centre and out again

They've been talking about this for an eternity, not sure if they got the money yet either because the government doesn't want to pay if the city doesn't accept new highways, but the city wants the metro system but really don't want the highways. They may have just started construction to get started without all things figured out.
>>
>>1559668
They are, or at least might, crossrail 2, also I live in South London and I must say our light rail connections make up for lack of tube.
>>
The third metro line (dark blue) of my city was finally finished earlier this year, it was a great addition to our mobility system, i think they line should've gone further on the north west direction, but it's nice to finally see some investment on massive transport after 20+ years of no improvements.
Now they are building a second BRT line (dark green) that should start operations next year.
Next year the construction of the 4th line of the railway system (lime green line) will start, there are still some unknown details, but so far we know that it will be some weird suburban/tram hybrid, the route hasn't been officially announced, we only know that the trail will take you to the southern suburbs of the metro area, that area has seen a lot of growth in the past decade, so building a metro line that takes you there is a great idea, problem is where will this line connect with the rest of the system, apparently this train will take you to the 1st BRT line (Yellow Line) wich is pretty damn stupid, I can already imagine the crowds that will form on Rush hour, there rumors of the line actually going further west and making a connection with the 1st metro line (aquamarine line) but there are just rumors and it probably won't happen since the federal government is running out of money, apparently they line will use the Alstom Citadis X05 model for the cars, wich is used as tran cars in othee cities, the 3rd metro line uses the Alstom Metro 9000 series, so it seems like the government has made some kind of arrangement with Alstom for future projects.
There's also a project to build a transport system that takes you to the airport south east of the city, at first there were speculations about a 3rd BRT line, but now it seems like there are people pushing for a "car train" system, which is being developed by a company from the state.
>>
>>1586289
Finally another Ottawanon. I'm steps from Baseline/Algonquin Station so I'm pretty stoked. That said I'm disappointed (and not the least bit surprised) expansion is so suburb-oriented. Bank and Montreal Road should have higher-order transit before Baseline and Bayshore, much less outer-greenbelt cage-scapes like Kanata and Orleans.
>>
>>1586289
>>1587521
>tfw any rational expansion to Gatineau would probably get shot down by Quebec because of la protection de la culture quebecoise
>>
>>1587527
To be fair Gatineau initiated the most recent interprovincial crossing proposal. The province seems to be on board too, just need to figure out the logistics on the Ottawa side (Wellington surface tram vs Sparks subway etc). An interprovincial connection via the POW Bridge would have made perfect sense but the NCC would sooner let it rot into the river and Bayview Station doesn't have the capacity. Also fare integration only has a chance in hell if NCR separates from the provinces and becomes its own fucking territory.
>>
>>1587527
No one has been more aggressive with expanding transit that the CAQ government of Quebec. They just want good value out of it. That's why they're barreling ahead with more Montreal skytrain and why they told Quebec City to fuck off with their tram plan.
>>
>>1587567
I hope you're not suggesting rapid rail transit isn't a good value proposition for a city the size of Quebec City. Vancouver opened its first SkyTrain line when it only had a population of ~430k.
>>
>>1587780
Vancouver is anchored by a metro region that had close to 1.5 million people when the skytrain opened. Tramways are not good value becuase studies and stats say they aren't. A Tramway lrt got cancelled in metro vancouver and one of the big gripes about it was, while cheaper, was almost exactly as slow as a rapidbus and did provide the economic benefits to justify itself.
>>
>>1587954
>Tramways are not good value
Is this specifically mixed-traffic tramways? Or does this also include those with their own ROW?
>>
>>1573367
>>1574147
Will metro 2 be built as well
>>
>>1587954
The proposed QC tramway is similar in length to phase 1 of the Expo line to New Westminster and serves a corridor with comparable population density. Also, the densest leg is completely grade separated while the rest of network offers significantly higher capacity than articulated buses and still operates on a ROW.
The BAPE literally cited the drop in ridership/increase in car trips and the removal of trees in their refusal to approve the tramway project. Their anti-transit bias is so fucking obvious.
>>
>>1588040
>Even if the tramway would improve transit in the city, its ability to optimally respond to the mobility needs of the city was not demonstrated, the BAPE said. It concluded the tramway would not significantly improve mobility for people in the suburbs nor would it increase the proportion of people using transit, despite $3.3 billion in investments. It also said the environmental and social benefits would be “uncertain” and “limited.”
>The BAPE suggests looking at other options, including light rail and bus rapid transit, saying they should not have been so quickly excluded from consideration

Buddy, the whole point of contention is that Quebec went out of it's way to choose trams, despite the fact it would not provide the usefulness of the other systems.
https://montrealgazette.com/news/quebec/reject-quebec-city-tramway-project-bape-recommends
>>
>>1572341
in a way the Eglinton LRT in Toronto is a tramway in the East end and a subway in the west

tramways are okay
>>
>Ottawa
Why can’t Canada into trains?
>>
>>1571350
good post
>>
>>1588514
the entire rideau wellington project is finished now
lrt and bike lanes open and construction cleared
>>
>>1559405
meanwhile based SFU is getting a gondola.
>>
>>1588572
nothing in the lower mainland is based
>>
>>1588608
Honestly, fuck this place. The only thing it "deserves" is the receiving end of a nuclear warhead
>>
File: 4.jpg (206 KB, 1024x600)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>1588572
>building your school on top of a mountain
you shouldnt NEED a gondola

>>1589307
bring back the streetcars, i say
>>
File: rail only Helsinki.png (1.6 MB, 5000x5000)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
>>1570664
>tfw Helsinki would be the second largest public transport region if the city was in 'Murica, being second only to NY
>a city of ~600,000 in a region of approximately one million
I bet Manse would be in the big leagues in the US once that's done, too.
>>
File: raide jokeri.png (680 KB, 1024x724)
680 KB
680 KB PNG
>>1558578
Currently the circular bus line 550 is being converted into light rail.
The city long had the issue of buses mostly traveling in and out of the city center, making even relatively short journeys in the suburbs take a pointlessly long detour. The JOKERI trunk line was originally designed to be implemented as semi-circular light rail line to connect the city laterally, but I guess some whiner complained enough about the costs to push through a bus-based setup. Despite simulations and projections being clear about buses not having sufficient capacity for expected ridership, and that the buses would end up swamped and congested. Which of course happened.
Now, a decade later, they're setting up the light rail system, and it's progressing well enough. Should be done by 2024.

t. >>1590305
>>
File: youtubelove.png (58 KB, 695x924)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
Technically, I'm in Orange County, but I'll pretend I'm part of Megacity 2.
>>
>>1590305
Helsinki looks so comfy, I wish I knew Finnish.
>>
>>1590427
I don't get it what did he say wrong
>>
>>1590549
Thank God they didn't go with the "Smith-Polvinen traffic plan". Luckily, it was far too expensive and dramatic to be executed. Sometimes not having all the money you could ever dream for slows down things enough for irreversible damage to be avoided.
>>
>>1590566 (me)
And yes, on the right is an entire interchange built over water.
>>
File: FutureTransitMap.jpg (468 KB, 2000x1700)
468 KB
468 KB JPG
yes we're extending our second light right line yayyy
>>
File: silver-line-phase-2[1].jpg (292 KB, 2022x1529)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
next year, we promise!
>>
>>1590566
So many instances of disgusting Americans coming in and telling European cities that the car is the future and they need to mutilate themselves to accommodate for it. Amsterdam once considered destroying its city centre for the Plan Jokinen.
>>
>>1586247
scenic river views, very important for our project that is definitely mass transit and not solely a pension fund development scheme
>>
>>1590579
>Jokinen
Emigrants and their kids... An embarrassment.
They used to send money and novel ideas home from the new world, but looks like the mid-20th century inverted that and brought costly bad ideas instead.
>>
>>1590550
Dissed Metro Rail, called it a waste of tax money.
He wants it out of his way when he drives his car.
>>
>>1590651
are you saying LA shouldn't build a subway to every corner of the city?
>>
>>1590653
No, Los Angeles should quadruple or more metrolink tracks and also electrify it all. No point in a subway when actual heavy rail would do a better job.

Especially since metrolink is anal about keeping up with times and schedules.
>>
>>1590673
>no point in a subway when actual heavy rail would do a better job
Subways are heavy rail
>>
>>1590674
They are, but with metrolink you'd get double decker cars with much higher speeds than a subway could dream of doing
>>
>>1590675
Subways are usually configured to have stations closer together than surface heavy rail. In terms of transport role, they're more like a tram even if physically they're basically heavy rail.
>>
>>1559456
Why can't they just build normal subways in toronto? what's up with all this LRT bullshit?
>>
>>1559553
All they have to do is update the PRC simulation then upload the patch.
>>
>>1563636
y tho
>>
>>1566521
I never knew cleveland was that big
>>
>>1577463
nigga it all sounds silly it polish
>>
>>1590737
$$$$$$$$$$
>>
>>1590746
The point is Warsaw Central, Warsaw Downtown and Warsaw Main all mean the same thing
>>
>>1558578
Yes, it looks like a new line will reopen between Newcastle (the main city centre for the region) and Ashington (a rough former coal town). It'll probably do well, the current bus services between Newcastle and Ashington run seven per hour and are pretty full, so an hourly or half hourly train should do fine.
>>
>>1577463
>>1590792
Śródmieście translates better to "Midtown", which could be thought of the same as Central. Main doesn't necessarily mean the same thing though. The first two describe location while main describes function.
>>
>>1590737
Proper subway is less adaptable and more expensive. The Ontario line will be more like proper subway than the LRTs but you also have to think where the neighborhoods are where the lines are above ground which is mostly low income or commercial. Eglinton line west of yonge will have a subway feel, kind of like the streetcar stop at union Station but with proper east west platforms
>>
>>1590427
American transit networks have awful ridership compared to Canadian networks. The on street LRTs simply don't move fast enough, especially since LRTs never get sufficient signalling priority or decent service. Building above ground is only mildly more expensive and provides you with massive advantages over on street shit. Which includes high speed service and a robust background for proper bus service. Americans being idiots and insecure, wanting the "new thing"(muh lrt) while having no idea what the transit needs in their cities actually are.
>>
>>1590737
>>1590768
>>1591266
Bored tunnels are too expensive. Vancouver's cut and cover tunnels and elevated track are much cheaper while having non of the capacity issues of LRT. Automated trains also reduce operating costs, reduce risk of disrupted service from strikes or cars hitting trains. A slytrains review during peak hours in metro vancouver has training arriving literal seconds after another. LRT systems could never do that. It's the same reason Montreal's REM is being built with almost no bored tunnels and no on street track with completely automated trains.
>>
>>1591323
the Ontario line i believe is skytrain technology
>>
>>1591323
the lrts are supposed to be automated too,
I don't hate them, esp in the areas they're above ground, because I rather like the toronto streetcars
so if its streetcar feel but faster and more tunnels, it's pretty on brand for toronto
>>
File: wwa.png (1.71 MB, 2164x1826)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB PNG
Not lines but I looked at all of my city's near- and far future plans and pre-planned stations and stops
white for existing, green for new, red for removed or relocated
>>
>>1558578
phase 2 of the silver line will open in 2021
No idea what the fuck is going on with the purple line, my company was doing work on it, and from what i heard its a total shit show
>>
File: dc map.png (305 KB, 1349x937)
305 KB
305 KB PNG
>>1591420
forgot pic
>>
>>1591379
Its probably going to use the same trains as Montreal's REM project since the current RFQ for the Ontario line and all documents state the line will use overhead catenary. As well I think it is safe to assume the constant winter shut downs of the SRT have soured people on the idea of using the Skytrain (upgraded SRT) vehicles and technology.
>>
>>1591383
Most of it is underground and then randomly, it converts to on street in the eastern portion. On those sections, the trains have to be directly driven either remotely or in person, due to intersections. Unless they get massive priority signalling, which they won't cause car drivers will complain and are in the majority, the overall speed and capacity of the system is massively damaged.
>>
>>1591379
>>1591424
When people say skytrain, it just means elevated rail. No one in Canada is talking about the specific propulsion tech. Montreal's REM takes a lot of lessons from Vancouver's Canada line, including use of full grade separation, high frequency service via automation, cheap cut and cover tunneling when underground is necessary and propulsion tech. It should be no surprise that the CDPQ, the quebec pension fund backrolling the REM, also funded the Canada Line
>>
>>1591421
The silver line also had its fair share of shit show but at least you can look at and even ride part of it. I'm predicting the purple line will partially open by 2030.
>>
>>1591420
>purple line
lol

Should have never elected Hogan
>>
https://www.theurbanist.org/2020/12/17/report-lays-out-framework-for-a-cascadia-high-speed-rail-authority/

This could be a great means to also improve local transit systems in the cities they want to include, especially if the incoming administration is willing to shell out for infrastructure, finally.
>>
File: subway.png (290 KB, 610x1517)
290 KB
290 KB PNG
It's getting a connection to an LRT larping as a subway in 9+ years. It looks like it has a higher chance to be actualized compared to the Scarborough subway shitfest; hopefully it stays that way. Could have happened earlier and been an actual subway, but it is what it is. Cost-wise, would have preferred the entire route to be elevated, but I'll take below-grade over at-grade.

I would like to see Line 2 get extended at least to the Mississauga border so buses don't have to travel 2km into Etobicoke to get to the subway, but we just got a new bus station at Kipling that opens this Monday. Still beats the dilapidated shithole at Islington. But seeing long haul Kipling-bound routes such as 35 and 109 get truncated at Renforth in the medium-term with the Eglinton West LRT makes me a bit optimistic.

Also the Hurontario LRT is under construction. It's been a long time coming.
>>
https://mynorthwest.com/2386907/local-group-west-seattle-gondolas-alternative-light-rail/

My city is going to build a fucking gondola instead of light rail. JUST fuck my shit up senpai
>for those who don't know
west seattle is almost completely cut off from the rest of seattle now that the bridge is declared FUBAR.
>>
>>1591459
it will have some sort of priority I'm sure
>>
>>1593392
>This effing city. 15 years & billions of dollars in the making and the Crosstown is only going to have "limited signal priority."
Never trust the LRT-juden
https://twitter.com/jm_mcgrath/status/1252700245110280193?s=19
>>
>>1594739
>implying its the LRT's fault and not Toronto Transportation Services being run by cagers.
Not even St.Clair or Spadina have signal priority because Transportation Services refuses to enable it sighting shit like "Drivers may get confused by the transit signals". What's worse is the Province isn't doing anything since they could overrule the city and force TTS to enable signal priority on all the routes that have it, or at the very least the Crosstown since that is a Provincial project.
>>
>>1559456
hate to be a doomposter here, but in my view the crosstown is doomed from the start to be another Line 3, because instead of building the line to Toronto gauge (1495mm) like the subway lines and the streetcar network, they're building it to standard gauge.
for those unfamiliar with Toronto's transit network, Line 3 is a light rail line built in the 1980s whose rolling stock has never been replaced and is incompatible with the rest of the network.
someone in the TTC decided to build another line incompatible with the majority of the network to save on the initial cost of rolling stock without thinking about the future again and its gonna bite them in the ass when they have to maintain 3 incompatible fleets of rail vehicles all because someone wanted to save a few bucks on initial costs
>>
>>1594816
Remeber though it wasn't supposed to be like this though. The Crosstown was supposed to be part of a network of LRT lines as part of the Transit City project. All of the lines would have been connected to each other and used the same (or similar but compatible) LRV's. With Transit City dead and the Crosstown and Finch West LRT lines now completely cut off from each other you can make the claim there may be problems, but even then its not as bad as the OL which will be the only line using its unique rolling stock. At least the Crosstown still has compatibility with the Finch West Line even if they are completely disconnected from each other without the Jane Street LRT.
>>
>>1594777
Yes, it's LRT's fault. Everything surrounding LRT tech, like north american retards sucking it off because they think it feels new, is why this shit happens. If they had just buried or elevated the line all the way, it wouldn't happen
>>
>>1592934
Isn't Seattle windy from the sea winds? Why are those people so invested in gondolas aside from costs?
>>
>>1559394
forever delayed.
>>
>>1595268
I'll accept elevation of the line eventhough you know full well the NIMBY's will come crawling out of the woodwork the minute you propose it, just look at the shit being stirred up by the OL. The western extension of the Crosstown should absolutely be elevated but its clear as day Metrolinx intentionally made elevation look bad, likely to appease Doug since it would travel through his constituency. As for underground, you know how expensive underground transit is in Toronto and buring the Crosstown in Scarborough would be an insane waste of money. Burying the western extension of the Crosstown is an insane waste of money yet as I said before it seems in that projects case the fix was in from the start.
>>
>>1595310
WHICH FINISHES FIRST? CROSSLIZPURP OR HUDSON GATEWAY?
>>
>>1595336
Burying is not expensive. Cut and cover tunnels in Vancouver and around the world are cheap. It's when cities try to get fancy and build these super deep bored tunnels does it become expensive. Doug Ford has always been pro grade separated transit. Rob Ford, back in the day, tried to stop Toronto's transit plan that would have seen nothing but LRT forever. "Glorified streetcars" he called them
>>
>>1595385
Ask me a year ago I'd say crosspurp, now I'm leaning Hudson
>>
>>1595868
Deep bore tunneling is definitely expensive but the primary cost of those projects is the stations. Deep-level stations are mind bogglingly expensive.
>>
>>1595892
They mining them with diamond pickaxes like it's fucking Minecraft or something?
>>
>>1559394
Will it absorb the Romford-Upminster Overground when it's done? I think it should; that Overground line is so isolated from the rest of the Overground lines and has no reason to exist as it is
>>
>>1595973
Even something simple like escalators and elevators become massive and stupid complex projects when the tunnel is too deep. A 30m deep station could easily require like a 70m set of escalators that need their own tunnels
>>
>>1596036
how deep is this tunnel? I have tried looking down some of the work sites but there's never a good look of the bored tunnel

i feel the connection at eglinton west is gonna be huge
>>
>>1594777
i think it will get signal priority once ridership calls for it desu
i wouldnt worry, it'll happen eventually
>>
>>1559146
I just want them to finish the damn First Avenue streetcar line and link it up to the SLUT. That would be a massive boon connecting all the ferry commuters to their offices without needing company shuttles.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.