[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 60 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

GWR branchline edition

Previous thread: https://archive.nyafuu.org/n/thread/1457520/
>>
I kinda wish those kiddie starter sets came with more contemporary rolling stock like cheapo AC4400s and P42s instead of the same old Fs and Geeps.
>>
File: yard.png (32 KB, 1244x527)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
Working on a layout with this as the basis of the main industrial sector, would you guys recommend any changes to how it's laid out?
>>
>>1542287
Gee Billy, *two* water columns?!
>>
>>1542526
There isn't a lot of lead space for switching the large industry and two small industries, especially if there are cars spotted at the team track.
>>
>>1542551
Two water columns, Jeremy? Two? That's insane.
>>
File: yard.png (30 KB, 1244x527)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>1542574
How about this then? It doesn't look it in the picture but I extended the lead into the large industry and the new team track so it's as long as the largest siding on the large industry
>>
File: whats the point.png (35 KB, 1244x527)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>1542648
I think if you enlarged the switching lead then it would be ok. Looking at the image again what is the purpose of the highlighted set of turnouts? Seems to me like they're redundant and make it so you can't actually use that track to hold any cars if you want to use it for runaround moves.
>>
>>1542293
Kato has done that in N. Unless you are talking about HO, then idk what to tell you.
>>
File: yard.png (32 KB, 1244x527)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>1542715
Is this any better?
>>
>>1542293
Three rail O are more toys than scale models, but Lionel has some GE Tier 4 starter sets in BNSF, Norfolk Southern and GE demonstrator liveries.
>>
love the bachmann 9f lads
>>
>>1542850
Really tempted to get one though they never really worked the region I'm modeling. Wish a manafacturer would make a fictional "what if" corporate blue one as if they actually worked as long as they should have, pic related. Love the BR arrows logo on it
>>
>>1542923
Fuck that actually works well, wish the BR standards would have run until the 80s.
Imagine seeing one in coal sector livery or the like
>>
>>1542747
I think so. You may still run in to some issues with the track layout when it is in use but it's better than the original.
>>
Really want a layout but not sure how to start. Should I envision the world around the track first, or design a track setup which looks cool and make the world second?
>>
>>1543263
Chicken or egg question. You should think about what you want to model: for instance a midwestern branch line would have single track with small towns, grain elevators, farms, prairie, etc. So not a lot of track and scenery that’s kind of low key. If it’s Colorado Rockies you’d still have single track but with dramatic bridges and tunnels, no big cities, and crazy mountainous scenery.
Then judging from the image you posted, you like heavy northeastern mainline stuff, so multitrack lines running through dense urban scenery. Rather than building up the Rockies or making a million trees for some midwestern pastoral scene, your scenery would be factories, warehouses, working class dwellings, monumental passenger stations etc.
Design is a holistic thing. Another thing to consider is if you want to just watch trains run or do switching and operation. Kick back and watch New Haven passenger trains roar by, or switch freight cars around some grimy industrial city?
There’s planning books and sites out there. It’s good to take some time and not build something huge that you regret. You can get your feet wet by building a small section and expand.
>>
>>1542929
I'd love to see a fictional layout with one of these running next to a 125. Considering some of the locos they were replaced were 60 years old, there's no reason why these locos couldn't have survived in mainline service into at least the 90's imo. Hell, in Bosnia they are still using older steamers in active service on mainlines today, I've even heard of steam being used for industrial use recently in the UK.
>>
>>1543263
What sort of operations interest you in what locale and era? I think that's a pretty good place to start.
>>
>>1543314
last steam industrial operations in britain were i believe early 80s, hattons do an example of an 0-4-0 that'd survived to that point
>>
>>1542923
that looks fucking great
>>
>>1543381
They are lovely models. I know that Scunthorpe steel works do run some steam occasionally & I believe it has "worked" briefly in recent years, but it wasn't much.
>>1543431
It does, unfortunately it's not mine. Wish it was
>>
>>1543314
>steam for industrial use in UK

sauce????
>>
>>1544146
Not a direct sauce, but this line runs around the steel works & I know, off the record, that steam locos have been used on plant lines. My gf's dad works for the steel works & has driven it on industrial use. It's a decent trip, very different to a lot of heritage lines!

https://britishsteel.co.uk/news/steam-loco-back-on-track-at-british-steel-in-scunthorpe/
>>
>>1544160
That's really neat. Thanks for the link, mate.
>>
>>1542923
Reminds me of the vale of rheidol locos that were still under BR ownership after the end of mainline steam, so they were actually repainted corporate blue and classified as class 98 under TOPS
>>
>>1544215
No worries! Scunthorpe is a shit hole, but it's an interesting trip. Very different from a lot of other heritage railways, worth a visit if you are ever in the area (not that you'd want to be)
>>1544247
I've read about them, interesting to see irl what steam could have looked like if it survived into the 70's. Really like the look of them!
>>
>>1544247
>classified as class 98 under TOPS
98 is used for all steam locomotives registered to run on the public railway.
>>
File: derail_cat.gif (1022 KB, 450x258)
1022 KB
1022 KB GIF
>>
>>1542923
I'd love to try this with the large logo livery.
>>
Solidarity bump for a quality thread.
>>
Are shunting/ terminus layouts worth it? I've been toying with the idea of building one, but I think for the money & effort involved in making it as affective as a conventional loop layout, it won't be worth it. Has anyone here built one?
>>
sigh, 1chan died again
>>
>>1549036
kek didn't realise it still existed
>>
File: gvsr629512.jpg (83 KB, 605x567)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
I'm just getting started with model trains and I'm curious what people ITT are working on. Right now I'm detailing an HO scale Athearn RTR SW1500. Among other things I installed an aftermarket front radiator grille and fan that I think looks pretty cool, even if it's hard to see the detail under most viewing conditions.
>>
>>1549573
Nice, love the SW1500. Which road? SP?
>>
File: 12873547586.png (149 KB, 476x476)
149 KB
149 KB PNG
>intentionally leaving minor gaps between rail joins when laying track in order to maximize clickety-clack noise
>>
>>1542526
As pointed out, your 'large industry' should have a direct path to the mains, not on a switchback.
>>
>>1551527
>Not laying your track in panels of an accurately scaled length with functional track joints
>>
>>1542648
>>1542715
>>1542747
The double crossover is an (IRL as well as model) expensive bit of trackwork that has no point to being laid outside of a restricted space like a station throat
>>
>>1549252
it's back up!
>>
File: layout wip (October).png (38 KB, 1269x643)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
Back about a month later, with a bit of an update (And a bump). To give a bit more context on the layout and how it operates I'm providing pic related with colors
>Red is the outer loop. Stays solely on the ground level
>Blue and Purple make up a pair of reversing loops in a folded dogbone, with blue being ground level and purple being upper.
>Purple has a passing siding for passenger trains, as the lower left corner would have a small town with a station there.
>Green's the main industrial hub along with the a coal mine
>I managed to squeeze a 3rd track into the yard and condense the yard shape enough to fit another industry in.

I might change this up a bit more and go for more of a U shape instead of a L shape, but this is the general gist of the layout right now.

>>1551782
The reason for having the double crossover there is to allow me to switch trains from the outer loop into the inner loop and vice-versa. I know it doesn't make much sense to have one there prototypically, but it's there moreso to make operating a bit easier.
>>
>>1555363
I'm mildly concerned that there is no yard lead. How do you plan on switching the yard tracks without occupying the main?
>>
File: 1535802498072.jpg (18 KB, 480x376)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>Looking up model railroad book PDFs for inspiration
>Stumble upon an old Lionel manual from the 50s
>It's got a directory at the end for "Approved Lionel Service Stations"
>Look up all the addresses near me to see what they're now
>One's still around and I've been there a bunch of times over the years
>One's turned into a store selling religious stuff but shuttered a couple years back and relocated
>One is a Sushi place
>One is residential
>One is part of a 7-11
>One is part of a clothing store
>Two are demolished

Fuck being part of a dying hobby
>>
>>1557233
People have been saying the hobby is dying for decades; and it hasn't. It's changed, just like a lot of other hobbies. Here in the UK there's more choice and more manufacturers than ever before, and they're making obscure stuff that no one would have ever dreamed would be available commercially a few decades back. Shops are closing because they've moved to online retailers, and 3D printing is set to be the next big revolution.
>>
>>1557248
...and yet if you want an electrostar you're shit out of luck because apparently shit like the gt3 and w1 are more important
>>
>>1557261
3rd rail stuff has never sold well in the UK is the problem, there.
>>
>>1557233
Online shopping and more people fixing their own models now instead of sending them away. Hobby isn't dying, it's just more expensive and more DIY.

>>1557248
>Here in the UK there's more choice and more manufacturers than ever before
As a US fag who loves british locos, I have to admire the selection of stock you guys have to choose from. I hate the conversion rate though.
>>
>>1557308
a) there are overhead electrostars
b) that hasn't stopped them churning out slam-door stock
>>
>>1557233
I'm not sure the hobby is truly dying. It's just changing and much different than it was 30 years ago. These days you have a greater variety of stuff commercially available at higher quality than before.
>>
>>1557373
>a) there are overhead electrostars
The vast majority are 3rd rail though; if you're a manufacturer and you're going to invest in tooling for an electrostar, you're not going to shift enough to matter.
>b) that hasn't stopped them churning out slam-door stock
70's & 80's blue *is* popular, though.
>>
>>1557395
And at from what I understand, it's a lot easier to fix issues with your own locomotives nowadays than needing to take them to a dedicated shop for service. At least with n-gauge Japanese manufacturers like Kato.
>>
>>1557248
>and 3D printing is set to be the next big revolution.
The revolution is already happening. Go on Shapeways and gawk at the infinite number of train things, and that’s just one manufacturer. I’ve painted and mounted several 3D printed shells on loco chassis and also gotten vehicles and other little detail parts. I have no 3D design skills but I can push a Buy Now button and have it show up on my doorstep, then take it from there.
>>
>>1557666
Disappointing that empty unpainted shells go for locomotive prices. I don't get the point of that
>>
>>1557572
I'd agree with that, plus there are so many tutorials out there, even for specific locomotives, that it's not quite so daunting as it once seemed.
>>
>>1557248
>>1557395
The Internet has also revolutionised access to prototype information & documentation. You don't need to hunt for an obscure out of print book for the one (inaccurate) drawing of something.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (41 KB, 512x288)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
anyone know if the new hornby terrier's any good, currently eyeing up pic related
>>
>>1557694
>Disappointing that empty unpainted shells go for locomotive prices. I don't get the point of that
It depends. The larger the scale, the more a 3D product costs. I pay around $30 for an N scale tram shell from Shapeways, $30 for a Tomytec chassis (prices higher now for Japanese stuff since corona) and with a little work get a good looking model.
>>
>>1557851
The cost of production for a plain plastic shell is not almost the same as the price of a new fully detailed locomotive outright
>>
>>1557933
Yeah, I don’t know what that anon was thinking. I guess I did make it clear in my post that $30 is much less than a fully finished locomotive, and I’m getting unique models that will never be mass produced. 3D printing gives modelers an incredible variety of ultra niche models that would have required traditional scratchbuilding before.
>>
>>1557978
I saw a number of oddball and mainstream shells that were well over $100. Sucks, I thought it was supposed to be a cheap way to get out of production or hard to get stuff. $30 would be a fair price for a good quality unpainted shell.
>>
>>1555363
What size is that turnout near the bridge on your blue line that goes into the large yard? You have your main continuing on the diverging track.
>>
>>1557261
>>1557308

The issue is that 3rd rail stock can be painted up from BR(S) green to privatisation liveries generally, so plumb the depths of the transition-era steam modellers which I believe are still the majority (but the eras of least growth compared to blue diesel/sector/privatisation)

Electrostars are modern era only, and the modern-only sector is smaller than the steam+modern era coverage the EPB/CEP/VEP/etc. units have.
>>
>>1557826

I got the SE&CR liveried version and it was just fine, so go for it.
>>
>>1557248

'The hobby' was artificially inflated by all the people who were young when steam was finishing and 'toy trains' was the go-to gift for young boys, getting to retirement age with a nice pension/etc. and seeking to emulate some of their childhood. Now this group is dying off, the scope of the hobby is returning to its normal pre-boom levels.
>>
>>1558699
Nice, i ordered one in isle of wight southern livery today. Hatton's SR genesis coaches would be a great fit for it when they come out
>>
File: PRR 1939 Calendar Print.jpg (349 KB, 1556x1032)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
My son asked for a streamlined train for his birthday. I'm leaning on getting him PRR K4 #3678 and Broadway Limited coaches because I found an old storybook from when I was a kid featuring it and figured I could gift them together to him.

Does /n/ have any recommendations? Vendors with a decent price (if it's too expensive I might just get him an N&W J class instead)? What brand I should get? Lionel? MTH?
>>
>>1559552
If you can't get a Pennsy K4s and a Broadway Limited consist, see if you can get a NYC Dreyfuss Hudson and a 20th Century Limited consist.
If the Water Level's flagship streamliner doesn't tickle your fancy, but you're still dead-set on steam, then the B&O Royal Blue, CNJ Blue Comet, N&W Powhatan Arrow (which you previously mentioned), or SP Daylight are all good options. If you're okay with diesel, that opens up a whole new can of worms; SCL Silver Service, IC Panama Limited, GN Empire Builder, UP City of _____, SF Super Chief/El Capitan, NP North Coast Limited, CP Canadian, CN Super Continental, and SRY Southern Crescent are all great options.
I'm not sure about any brands; you might be able to find something through Walthers, but if you're hoping to get a good deal, check eBay or (as a last resort) your local Craigslist/flea market and see if they have anything of substance
>>
>>1559552
What scale?
>>
>>1559723

Probably HO since it's the most abundant.
>>
Hey fellas, I doubt these exist at all but does anyone know of any British Steam loco's that are in HO or American N scale? I really would like to run a 9F on my layout when I get around to it but Id like it to be scale with all my other models.
>>
>>1559749
Found this don't know if it helps:
https://www.hornby.com/us-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/21761/?p=1
>>
>>1559749
Only some very old stuff, kits or repurposed European models that happen to be suitable for the UK (E.g. GE 66's, NS 600 class)

http://www.british-ho.com/
>>
File: 92e.png (53 KB, 198x201)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>Huntin on Ebay for some locos
>Spot a DC H-16-44 in my preferred railroad livery at a decent price in an auction at around $75 shipped
>Also see a bunch of people are watching it
>Decide to give up on the auction since people are eyeing it too and instead drop $100 on two DCC-ready RS-3s, $30 on 2 shells from Bachmann to replace the ones they came with, and $20 on Microscale decals to renumber one of the shells
>Check back this afternoon to see how much the H-16-44 sold for
>No one bid on it, seller relisted it

I don't know if I fucked up or not
>>
>>1559749
>n gauge
You're in luck, lad. Dapol makes a 9f.
https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/2327-new-dapol-9f
>>
>>1561254
If you've got room in the wallet, go for it.
>>
Just getting some motivation back to work on the backlog of shit on my workbench, lads. I completed a project for a youngin' in my club andfinally found the motivation again to get back in the hobby.
>>
>>1561390
US N isn't the same scale as UK N.
>>
>>1561460
And yet that's his only "N" option for a 9F.
>>
I'm just curious, how many of you are actually autistic? I'm not even trying to insult you I just want to see if the stereotype is true.
>>
>>1563091
I would have to think the percentage of model railroaders on the spectrum is close to 100
>>
>>1563091
Nope, just classically weird
>>
>>1563091
Trainsperg here, and I’d say the stereotype is true. I’m on the functional end of the spectrum, enough to be freaked out by some of the people I’ve seen, even those in my club that I’m friends with. I have interests other than trains and sometimes it’s just too much to hear people go on and on in a robotic voice about them.
>>
>>1563091
I'm relatively normal especially for 4chan standards, not actually autistic or anything. but then again i post in model train threads so yeah
>>
>>1563091
Currently waiting to get tested for autism and was diagnosed with dyspraxia a couple of years ago which has an overlap with Aspergers. Also know someone with autism who is into trains and model railroads.

Actually curious about this. Why do trains appeal to autistic people? I know I like trains but can't explain why.
>>
>>1563564
timetables
history
engineering
classification/numbering systems
efficient transportation systems overall
>>
>>1563091
Checking in.
>>
>>1563091

I'm not, at least as far as I'm aware. Just a giant nerd.
>>
>>1563091
diagonised but for a variety of reasons don't actually have a layout yet
>>
File: 80-3241-1.jpg (170 KB, 2400x683)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>1563091
Efficiency is fun, at least for me. Watching cool trains run next to each other on something into which I've put time and effort makes me happy.
I don't think I'm autistic, but who knows.
>>
>>1563564
I think trains, aesthetically, hit a sweet spot between animation and precision.
>>
>>1563091
I'm not diagnosed or anything but I suspect I am. I like the noise, especially the engine growl of the older non-turbo diesels.
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (22 KB, 400x213)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Any oo9 bros built a Langley kit? I know they're super old and not that accurate but I picked up a B Class just to see what I can do with it. Figured I could build it as is for now and someday in the future I'll add accurate frames and valve gear.
>>
File: 2016999196.jpg (67 KB, 640x454)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
I want to make a gauge-1 live steam model of the 2-foot gauge locomotive "Ariel" used by the Billerica & Bedford railroad in 1878, as well as the coach and baggage cars it pulled.

How hard would it be to kitbash an Accucraft Ruby to resemble Ariel? The engine had an unusual cab-forward configuration so it would pull the trains backwards without the boiler obstructing the engineer's view.

As for the coaches, I was hoping to pass off some custom-painted Jackson sharps as B & B rolling stock. However, information about the livery other than very old black-and-white photos is very difficult to find.
>>
Bump for the O scaler on the 3D printing thread on /pol/
>>
>>1568553

Money is going to be the biggest setback for you, not the building. Ruby mod kits are everywhere but the engine alone sells for $1500 and you need to make sure it's maintained properly so it doesn't blow up.
>>
>>1568553
Wileso used to make a steam locomotive for G gauge/ gauge 1 track, but I don't believe they produce them anymore. Decent price IIRC
>>
>>1568553
What a cutie. Good luck in building her anon!
>>
>>1568553

>B&B ran for less than a year before going bankrupt

Venture capitalism at its finest.
>>
>>1568553
I don’t know shit about live steam but my experience kitbashing in smaller scales is that as long as the mechanism runs well, everything else is just along fir the ride. As long as you have some cash and metalworking tools and skills it should be a cool project.
>>
>>1569062
That was a good thread. It's what brought me here too though I've had trains for ever. Really should pull them out again but for now just lurking and reminiscing is fun.
>>
File: sp_PULLMAN_TROOPTRAIN.jpg (105 KB, 960x540)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>1569710
Here's to a rekindling of a great hobby for you. Cheers!
>>
File: 1604456028661.jpg (864 KB, 2160x2160)
864 KB
864 KB JPG
>>1569062
sorry I am late here is a quick paint of one of my houses I let my nephew paint it for our Christmas village
>>
File: 1604456094992.jpg (983 KB, 2160x2160)
983 KB
983 KB JPG
>>1570062
Added a light inside with the woodland scenics plug n play lighting hub. Just waiting for my Goose neck lights to get in the i will put one over the side entrance for deliveries
>>
>>1568553

Are you the guy who made this post: >>1566765
?

I like you're Idea but make sure you're committed.
>>
>>1570062
>>1570063
nICE TO SEE YOU HERE

Got a layout of your own?
>>
>>1570346
I don't have a dedicated layout yet but i do setup a floor layout throughout the house. I am planning to door a garden layout in the spring
>>
>>1570359
Sounds awesome. Post it up when you finally do!
>>
File: 116758.jpg (1.72 MB, 3600x2415)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
Is there a HO (not OO) scale Flying Scotsman?
>>
>>1571029
Yes, but only 200 were ever made.
http://www.british-ho.com/showcase/traction-steam/psm_a3.htm
>>
>>1571054
>The last one was sold in November 2000.
>One was auctioned through Vectis in 2002.
I like those odds.
>>
>>1568553
gauge 1 is 1:32 right?
Check this site out i picked this engine because it comes with passenger cars
https://www.livesteamstation.com/product-page/n-w-4-8-4-j-class-611
>>
File: 32-882_3092903_Qty1_1.jpg (154 KB, 800x497)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
Anyone know if the Bachmann 4MT Fairburn tank is any good? eyeing one up for around 200$ AUD currently
>>
>>1571765
Sam reviewed it i trust his reviews
https://youtu.be/E9OgE0z8dMs
>>
>>1542287
I have some Fn3 gauge stuff in my garage that I got last christmas. I'll post pictures when I finally find it.
>>
Where do you guys get cheap second hand shit? Hattons is pretty good for finding decently cheap British stuff like mk1 coaches
>>
>>1573010
Clubs and train shows are good sources but the ‘rona has shut down a lot of that activity.
>>
>>1573010
I've gotten great deals on eBay before. I picked up an N gauge A4 Mallard that "was broken" and I picked it up for $70 including shipping to the states. All it needed was the right hand valve gear glued back onto the running boards.
>>
>>1573010
Rails of Sheffield have an eBay store I've used a couple times that's pretty good, got a Hornby super detailed Gresley coach 2nd hand for about £25, nothing wrong with it & new they go for like £45-50. I've found antique stores quite good (pre 'Rona), though sometimes pricing can be way off, I have gotten some good deals
>>
File: forney.png (648 KB, 1200x451)
648 KB
648 KB PNG
From a business perspective,

How difficult would it be to start a new company that builds 15'' and 24'' gauge live steam locomotives and passenger rolling stock for amusement parks or other rail enthusiasts? It would essentially fill the niche left by the former Crown Metal Products before it went bankrupt (though most of their equipment is still running). I would only build oil or propane fired locomotives, for environmental and hygiene reasons.

I had counteless daydreams about setting up the "______ locomotive works" near the Wiscasset Waterville & Farmington Railway in Main, whom I'd likely partner with. If I become successful enough I may even start building lightweight standard gauge equipment.
>>
>>1573061
You sound like an autist, so I doubt your business would go anywhere, but if you must build miniature locomotives you're better off building them for smaller gauges than 15 inch.
>>
File: 391-028a.IMG_9903.jpg (138 KB, 1535x931)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
Thinking about getting one of these. Anyone else got one & want to let me know their thoughts?
>>
>>1573087
Is that the oo9 one?
>>
>>1573090
Yes. I need some ready to run locos & this seems like the best option at the moment to me
>>
File: b391-032[1].jpg (147 KB, 1000x556)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>1573125
I have the fictional Southern one and I really like it. Sometimes the pickups can be finicky but I've read that if you add some metal crew figures to the cab it helps with this. I've yet to find any that can fit in its very cramped cab though. I think there's a company that does WWI soldiers made specifically for this model however.

That said, the details are great and it looks awesome with any of the rtr stock that's out there. If you're doing DCC it has a speaker built into it out of the box. I got mine to go alongside the eventual release of the Lynton and Barnstaple Lyn because I heard the rtr Manning Wardles were pretty trash and I wanted another L&B style loco to match her.
>>
>>1573061
probably a reason the former crown metal products went bankrupt
>>
>>1573061
As long as your steam chest has the valve moment in the precise location. Those Crown's were notoriously difficult to time correctly, if at all.
>>
What's your single favourite locomotive in your collection? For me it's probably Hornby's J36 just because of how stellar of a model it is, always performs brilliantly
>>
>>1573187

Did you mean to reply to >>1573189 ?
>>
>>1573211
why the fuck would i reply to a post from the future
>>
>>1573185
Cheers for that, think adding weight is a must when I get it, my track is quite lightly laid & quite tight radius, only 4x4. Tempted to repaint it when I get it, I'll post pics of it & my layout when I do get it. I've heard the Manning Wardles are trash, I'm not even going to bother with them.
>>
>>1573327
Search for tungsten putty. You could put it anywhere that isn't exposed or has moving parts to add weight.
>>
File: TungstenEnrichment3.jpg (146 KB, 804x747)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>1573424
>putty
Be careful with that. You need to seal it up with a glue or that shit will ooze out of wherever it is.

I personally prefer tungsten chips. There's a guy on eBay who carries them, along with all sorts of others meant for Pinewood Derby cars.
>>
>>1573424
>>1573586
I use pieces of lead for weight, like sheet lead or fishing sinkers. It’s toxic of course so I try not to handle it much and I use cutting pliers rather than anything that will produce small particles.
>>
>>1573592
Lead has worked for me in the past, I've loaded a bunch of OO gauge tenders with it & they run a lot better. I'm just wondering how I'd fit any inside a smaller loco like >>1573087
>>
>>1573586
The stuff I use comes in small little cylinders that feel and are pliable like PlayDough. Weird that you have stuff that oozes.
>>
>>1573061

Whatever happened to Michael Jackson's 36" gauge crown steamer?
>>
File: QR ETT.jpg (1.6 MB, 3084x1530)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>>1573802
>36" gauge
Lol, that's almost Cape Gauge. What would the speed limit be on that?
>>
>>1573802
I think it was sold when a lot of his stuff at Neverland was auctioned off but I don’t know where it ended up.
>>
i love trains haha
>>
>>1575175
who doesn't
>>
>>1575175
Me too
>>
File: 4.jpg (426 KB, 1486x810)
426 KB
426 KB JPG
Hell yes.
>>
>>1576770
don't know shit about the milwaukee road but the liveries are sick
>>
>>1576770
The Milwaukee Road put together some wild electric x diesel mashups
>>
>>1573811
What a janky trestle
>>
File: grease.jpg (235 KB, 758x680)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
I was going to start a dcc install and detail upgrade to an Athearn RTR model I've had for quite a few years, but when I took it out of storage there was oil dripping out of the truck assemblies and into the packaging. Once I took the shell off I got a good look at how there must have been way more grease than needed applied at the factory. Over the years in storage I guess it separated and started to leak out of the assemblies. Fortunately it isn't a huge issue to disassemble the trucks and clean everything up, though it just means one more step in the little project. Pic related is what the trucks and worm gears looked like before being disassembled and cleaned. The contacts for the track power wires were also pretty corroded, so I'll have to make sure the unit actually runs and I don't need to replace them.
>>
>>1577941
The Chinese are very heavy handed with grease it seems. Seen that multiple times on N scale shit.
>>
>>1577963
I've not noticed it on any other stuff I have. I only had this particular model open once before when I bought it to install a shitty decoder and don't remember noticing anything back then. Either way, not a huge deal to fix, it just requires a couple of extra steps.
>>
I love model trains bros
>>
anybody know if any of the online stores doing black friday? I know trainworld is and maybe accucraft which is now livesteamtrains. I need to know lol
>>
>>1578311
mb klein
>>
>>1573586
stickon weights for car wheels are often easier to find, like at wallmart. easy to cut too
>>
>>1578908
Those are steel. Most auto parts stores have stick on lead weights for wheel balancing and they are much more malleable to be able to shape them (mostly) how you want them.
>>
>>1577028
function over form, the bridge needed to be upgraded to take the heavier modern trains
>>
>>1577941
>there was oil dripping out of the truck assemblies and into the packaging
This is normal, but holy christ that is a lot of grease in there. Typically, the fuckin Chinese, Taiwanese or whomever, are usually heavy on the grease. Most of the time it's too much, but your thing has a shitload more than I've ever seen.

>>1576971
>don't know shit about the milwaukee road
It was the coolest US freight railroad to up and fucking kill itself. Very sad. Could've done better if its highest-ups hadn't been faggots.

>>1576999
>The Milwaukee Road put together some wild electric x diesel mashups
See above. That's what happens when you run your locos to fucking death. Makes power lashups really fun, tho.
>>
Did trains just get more expensive?
Or did the quality increase a lot thus leading to increased prices?
>>
>>1579358
The deck is just logs. Very crude method of construction. Not much engineering talent there I suppose
>>
>>1580393
Do you have any idea how expensive and difficult it is to build a two metre high narrow gauge embankment or viaduct?
>>
>>1580394
less "expensive and difficult" than standard gauge.
>>
>>1580374
Both.

More casuals and or lazy people demanded more detailed and better models, which is what happened.

All I know is, I'm tired of BOOMERS bitching about it. Yes, I can probably install 40 grab irons on a boxcar if I wanted to, but I don't. Hence why I don't bother, and why most of my freight cars are basic bitch stuff with limited detail.

I care more about detailed locos and cabooses than cars.
>>
>>1580641
>I care more about detailed locos and cabooses than cars.

THIS. Those are the most looked at aspects of a train, except when you get unique cars like a Schnabel or something.
>>
File: my 4-6-0s.jpg (894 KB, 2160x2160)
894 KB
894 KB JPG
>>1580641
100% this all i care about is the detail on my locos my cars don't matter unless they are my passenger cars
>>
File: 1554833594106.jpg (248 KB, 1139x961)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
>tfw difficult nonverbal autistic cousin coming to see my layout and he loves to grab and break shit
How fucked am i lads
>>
>>1581108
Give him something he's allowed to break.
>>
>>1581118
That's actually a good idea but i'll try to avoid gettting to that point if i can
>>
>>1581118
I had this problem with my son’s friend and just kept him at arm’s length from my N scale layout. Maybe you can hook the kid up with some G scale or O three rail, or some cheap HO that won’t matter if he breaks it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.