[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 50 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]


Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.


[Advertise on 4chan]


File: collectible af.jpg (36 KB, 400x300)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Well the covid virus seems to have not only killed the collectible bike market, it seems to have made just go away completely.
I have several places I check every day for bikes that fit this category and not one has popped up in months.
I cant even evaluate prices because nothing is being listed.
What the hell ?
Has anyone had any different experience than this?
>>
>>1517585
just wait until they need cash and start selling them cheaper than before
>>
>>1517634
But shouldnt that already be happening ?
>>
>>1517784
For the cagey wagey a bike is considered an inferior good
>>
>>1517585

Bikes aren't collectibles and never will be.
>>
>>1517819
Why do train enthusiasts hate bicycles?
>>
>>1517585
what bikes would you normally try to collect?
>>
>>1518156
They are jelly as fuck because all of their collectible trains turned out to be a huge money sink and waste of time
>>
>>1518556
At least trainchads aren't riding vastly interior two wheeled transportation.
>>
File: 1421763779339.jpg (11 KB, 313x228)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1518585
>vastly interior
as opposed to vastly exterior?
>>
>>1518585
They aren't riding anything, they're standing a quarter mile away viewing their favorite transportation through binoculars while their wasted erections wear holes in their Dockers.
>>
>>1518609
they are so weird
>>
>>1517585
I haven't been making any big moves, it's just too weird of a time. Sure, all the boomers are going to die and flood the market with some real gems, but who's going to be driving demand after that? The millenials? Don't make me laugh.
>>
File: VV18-deltaV_s.jpg (52 KB, 468x300)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>1521073
Gen ex is the real driver for collectible bikes from the late 80s early 90s and thats my niche.
I dont think many of them are going to die so I dont see how covid will benefit me
>>
>>1517585
They're getting bought up by regular normies who are going to let them rot in their garage. I'd say check every single garage sale you can next summer and you might get some hits.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (8 KB, 300x168)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1517585
So if 1800 of these were made in 1992,how many can be left?
>>
>>1522604
treefiddy
>>
I feel that the market has never been stronger
>>
>>1521564
Do they even do garage sales anymore?
>>
>>1528971
I guess it depends where you live. In the 'nicer' suburbs they are still everywhere. But I'm sure a lot of people just use FB/Craigslist nowadays.
>>
>>1529141
my states pretty locked down :(
>>
>>1518609
this is fucking poetry
>>
>>1517585
I noticed just the opposite of that, with the lockdown people seemed to get involved with house cleaning and a lot of stuff went for sale online, I dabble with antiques and notifications for what I am observing tripled.
I haven't bought a collectible bike since well before the flu though
>>
>>1530566
>I dabble with antiques and notifications for what I am observing tripled.
Have those prices stayed stable or gone up or down?
>>
>>1528971
Not in europe
>>
bunp
>>
>>1531270
relatively stable, but since most items are unique it's hard to say if there's a trend.
If I were to guess some people set asking price somewhat higher because they might be in a tight spot financially right now, but there's not enough of them to say all antiques went up.
Not sure about prices in antique stores because I haven't been to one recently, same with flea markets.
>>
>>1517585
Do your places show sold listings?
Between the $1200 of Trumpbux (+$500 for each of your crotch goblins) and that $600 extra a week unemployment benefit, some people have had access to lots of surplus cash.
I feel like people are finally buying all the shit that they didn't have the disposable income for before.
>>
>>1537228
>(+$500 for each of your crotch goblins)
i hate breeders ao goddamn much
>>
>>1517585
>be American
>let the virus spread like wild fire
>blocked from trading with the world
>blocked from visiting the world
>made enemies of EU
>made enemies of China
>Trump started trade war with China who supplies 99% of all American goods

WHAT THE FUCK GUYS WHY IS THIS HURR DURR HAPPENING
>>
>>1537469
It sucks now but we will get over the virus quicker and we will win the whole world
>>
bump
>>
>>1517585
>Well the covid virus seems to have killed the collectible bike market

That would be the only thing it killed.
>>
>>1541235
anon this is a biden / kamala board .
pls no orange man supporting science deniers itt
k?
>>
>>1542330
Keep believing in hoaxes, libtard.
>>
>>1528971
I bought a rotary phone from one just last week. found a sidestreet to get to where I was actually going through a pretty wealthy neighborhood and all their crap was out on the lawn. pulled up and leaned my bike on the mailbox.
they had a pretty cool rockhopper and some other bike but way too small for me.
>>
>>1542344
>orange man do literally anything
>orange man good
>>
>>1542358
was covid phone?
>>
>>1542550
it was literally caked with dust. a soapy rag with a little amonia to clean and I still had to press down really hard and scrub. the last time someone breathed their germs on it was probably 1978.
>>
>>1517819
this
bikes are niche yet mass produced, not enough interest in weird old bikes to drive speculation
real cyclists like modern bikes, they would only spend a small amount on an old bike to use as a beater
>>
>>1542665
That all depends
The collectible market is just getting started and its driven by guys in their 50s who have tons of cash and want to relive their youths.
This is the big reason the Delta v 1000 is now worth so much money.
Those guys could not afford one when they came out, no one could, but everyone wanted one.
Now that they have money, many of these men are willing to pay the big bucks but very few were made in the first place . Probably less than 1000 of the 93 model year that is so sought after.
>>
numd
>>
>>1543918
>This is the big reason the Delta v 1000 is now worth so much money
but is it really? the sus on them was always crap and nobody ever wanted them after better bikes were made. the guy who started posting them here and touting how they were the first full sus and therefore "collectable" was just trying to see if people would fall for it. it was a joke.
>>
File: 1598022659068.jpg (88 KB, 571x800)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>1544859
>it was a joke.
It was never a joke.
There were anons that did not take it serious but they are finding out now that it was real all along
>>
>>1546670
>(((personna)))
who could be behind this
>>
>>1517585
I work in a bike shop, and there is absolutely nothing, except a few vintage bikes and some Frankenstein shit.
>>
I’m very excited for resell this winter
>>
>>1547282
What do you have? Would you be willing to sell it to an anon from here for bitcoins?
>>
File: munchin.jpg (2.24 MB, 2584x2515)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
netoss,,,again.
>>
>>1517585
All I want is a goddamned pristine or good condition Team Miyata from the late 80's early 90's damnit.

I heard that Robin Williams had a huge collection of Miyatas unless I'm confusing him for another actor.
>>
>>1551763
Bacon you are the best of us
>>
kek, the delta v1000 is wearing a hat!
>>
All collectible stuff from guitar pedals to video game cartridges are being bought up by bored housebound yuppies and foolish proles with their bonus unemployment money. The market is there it's just that everything people wanted to sell has already sold and there's no inventory left
>>
>>1554730
How long do you think this situation will last?
>>
File: ape.jpg (30 KB, 838x438)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1539345
no you are all goofs
>>
>>1517585
This board is like a fucking mental institution, its so slow that threads stay on page 1 for literal months and it’s not even anything interesting, just boring low effort consoomer shit about bicycles.
>>
>>1561075
What is your point?
>>
>>1542665
>real cyclists like modern bikes
top kek mate
>>
File: download.png (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>1517585
Member when we all thought covid would kill the boomers?
>>
>>1562024
he's not wrong though, go back to your e-statting with your OTS, magnet zip ties, and powertap throwback hub
>>
File: 1434492499890.gif (298 KB, 300x199)
298 KB
298 KB GIF
>>1566811
obsessed
>>
File: campagnolo_empty_boxes.jpg (327 KB, 1200x1600)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
collectible campagnolo box market is bananas
>>
>>1567668
where did you get all that?
>>
>>1567668
how much for all that?
>>
>>1567668
dayum
>>
Why has covid not produced any colletor opportunities ?
It makes no sense
>>
>>1575004
bikes are not collectible
a normal person does not have a boner for bikes
bikes are mass produced
they take up a lot of space
people give them away for free
garbage dumps resell them instead of actually trashing them
leftists repair them and sell them to college students etc
most of the older bikes weren't even that nice in the first place, they were popular because they were cheap, not that they were good
newer bikes are better in every conceivable way, the only legitimate appeal of older bikes is for them to be cheap and for some emotionally stunted boomer to be overly attached to their childhood memory of how they look and feel, and that boomer only really needs one or a few bikes, collecting dozens of bikes would be silly
>>
>>1561075
this
>>
>>1575020
how can one post be so wrong
>>
>>1517585
I picked up a killer v recently
>>
>>1575043
>how can one post be so wrong
he's right and you're too buttblasted about it to even bother rebutting. cope.
>>
>>1576633
nah, I'm just too old to bother.
>>
>>1576627
Really? Do you have any pics?
>>
File: 20201123_204233.jpg (3.4 MB, 3384x2106)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
>>1577206
Only thing ive changed since are the tyres
>>
>>1577534
whats based
> hand polsihed frame
> anodising
> pristine xt drailer
> working judys
> serfas drifters
> pedals

whats cringe
> frame lettering wrong font
> mismatched shades of blue anodising
> travel on judys
> geometry
> bars
> grips
> saddle
> condoms on lever

mate this is constructive critism, you are so close.
>>
>>1577534
Holy fuck dude what year is that?
>>
>>1577534
That bike would look 10x cooler without the decals or with exact replica decals from the year it was made
>>
>>1537469
it aint easy or painless to fight a trade imbalance
>>
>>1537469
fuck china
>>
File: 20201124_235619.jpg (2.71 MB, 3273x2268)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
>>1577864
Seller said 1993
>>1577936
Yeah like >>1577659 said, it isnt the classic font. Will probably end up fixing that
>>1577659
Thanks for the overview. I love the look of it and based on what you said I can see what could be improved to make it stunning.
>>
>>1575020
>the only legitimate appeal of older bikes is for them to be cheap
part of that is the ability to repair them, a lot of the older bikes have standard parts
but even that supply is drying up, the frames are worth less than the parts and often get scraped for their steel
modern bikes are changing rapidly and there increasingly less compatibility between part models and brands
most people just throw the entire bike out the moment something $$$ fails
>>
>>1577996
like what? modern road bikes use 31.8mm handlebars etc, it's simple. some brands are even going back to BSA threaded bottom brackets on their carbon bikes. not that the different bottom bracket standards are a big problem, there are a bunch of aftermarket manufacturers like wheels mfg, bbinfinite, chris king, phil wood to cater to them.
>>
>>1577996
>older bikes have standard parts
>>
>>1578037
by way of comparison yes
there are time periods and market forces that bring about some homogenization
but now is not one of them, there is much change
>>1578024
derailleur hangers, disk brake pads and mounts, bottom bracket diameters and widths, axle diameters , hub widths
>>
File: Girrrf.jpg (2.62 MB, 3826x2621)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>>
>>1578037
road/mtb pull ratio was the same in the 9/8/7 spd era so you could mix road and mtb groups freely. That's not the case anymore. Downtube shifters also gave a lot of freedom for compatibility because you didn't have to worry about front indexing (or even indexing at all).
and -basically- all bikes had the same bottom bracket for many decades.
>>
>>1578024
often
>muh compatibility
is just a big cope from people riding luddite shitters. And if you have a nice modern bike it's just not even an issue, you use inseries parts, they work for a long time, and there's no reason to change them.

But back in the day being able to just put a mtb derailer, or crank on a road bike and run wider gearing was really nice. It's more complicated to do that now.
>>
>>1581383
>inseries parts
what are them?
>>
>>1567668
never heard of this. So they just collect boxes? Wtffff
>>
>>1581383
>neophilic cope
Ayeee
>>
>>1583244
Worth more than the parts inside actually . The box people are fucking bananas but its because while all the parts are pretty much still around, the boxes all got thrown away long ago so you just cant find any
>>
>>1561039
Bump
>>
>>1583244
i have a modern campy chorus box for the brakes, it looks pretty cool actually and the brakes themselves have a quality design and finish to them, the box can fold up into a retail display stand, i guess the box by itself isn't worth anything since it's just one non-vintage box but i might keep it, i read a comment online from a guy who was disappointed that an online retailer sent campy components without the packaging because he liked to collect the boxes
>>
>>1583539
>i guess the box by itself isn't worth anything since it's just one non-vintage box
bide your time
>>
>>1583539
>an online retailer sent campy components without the packaging
I am getting so fucking sick of this.
They are double dipping by keeping the boxes so they can sell them seperately a few years later on the secondary market.
So fucking sleazy
>>
File: Kramon_Roubaix2018_0491-1.jpg (453 KB, 1600x1067)
453 KB
453 KB JPG
Well lads, a few new collectable bikes should be coming on the market soonish coz someone stole a whole bunch of em from Specialized's HQ, including Sagan's Roubaix:

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/12/specialized-hq-targeted-in-major-bike-theft/
>>
>>1586625
>The total financial value of the stolen bicycles has been estimated at US$160,000
fuck's sake, another downside to living in a culturally poor country, i don't have opportunities like that to pull big heists with relatively low risks of getting caught, big loot just sitting around with minimal security
>>
>>1586625
Holy fuck, those guys must have had some major fucking balls.
One thing though is that could never happen to cannondales delta v 1000 since they are so rare that not even cannodale still own one
>>
>>1587123
They're rare because a couple of fucking wizards have the entire supply stashed in a handful of shipping containers out in the middle of who knows where. It's a situation ripe for the heisting, if only a guy knew where to look.
>>
>>1587528
seeing as how only 1600 were ever made, and many of those got recycled decades ago. I am not sure there is even enough to fill one container ;_;
>>
Did anyone get a Cannondale Delta V-1000 for xmass this year?????
>>
>>1543918
>Those guys could not afford one when they came out, no one could, but everyone wanted one.
what a strange world some people live in
I rode the V1000 when it came out.
And I bought a Santa Cruz Tazman instead.

The nice thing about bikes is that average people can own MANY fine bikes during their life.

There are some collectible bikes. But they are collectible because they were owned or ridden by someone famous.
>>
>>1589692
why the stem flip ?
seems excessive
>>
>>1590788
for aero position on your MTB duh
>>
>>1590859
Just get a gravel bike then bruh
>>
>>1589692
>I heard you like your water flavoured with road grease, diesel, dog shit, brake dust and mud.
>>
>>1590865
just wipe it off with your mouth and then spit it out before you drink
>>
>>1590865
its actually to squirt soothing balm on your nuts after you smash your crotch on a drop the suspension can't handle, like doing a full send off a 2" curb or some shit
>>
I've resorted to just stealing bikes. Can't be traced like cars. One Scott hardtail and another Jamis DS just this week.
>>
>>1517784
Nah, my guess is around spring when everyone wants to clean and they still have the giant bike in their living room they only rode twice because they HAD to have it during pandemic but didn't ride it all winter because ICKY. Now they're vaccinated, can get ubers and drink again so why keep it?
>>
>OUT OF MY WAY, THIS MUP IS FOR RACERS ONLY! SLOWPOKES MOVE ASIDE!





Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.