[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 86 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thougts on lowriders?
>>
Building those wheels must suck ass
>>
I think they can't be very good for what a bicycle does well, and at the same time is a poor bling substitute for a car.
>>
Based and redpilled
>>
>>1503639
>Ey holmes can chu tru ma wheels
>>
>>1503639
Pretty wholesome... Low class bling
>>
Every type of custom bike has its place in the culture, and I can certainly appreciate the craftsmanship. Personally I'm just more of a fan of types less mimicking of custom car and motorcycle culture (wink to choppers as well).
>>
File: ransstratusxplaside.jpg (1013 KB, 1800x1054)
1013 KB
1013 KB JPG
>>1503639
Mostly they are built ergonomically wrong, resulting in retarded handling and low speed.
I don't consider them functional bicyles.
It's has to be possible to construct them properly by learning from semi-recumbents. Then they would become an interesting option for comfy (electrified) touring and city bikes.
>>
>>1503639
I always wanted to scratch build one of these (torch bent forks, etc) but they looked so uncomfortable to ride I never felt the need.
>>1503690
I build several choppers / tall bikes in high school / college, in addition to more basic custom paint/built bikes. Sold or ditched them all when I left my hometown... they were a blast, and probably all in landfill now.
>>
>>1503639
They're cool if all you do is slowly ride around the hood(which is completely flat) and sell drugs.
>>
>>1503663
>deepends meng, wachu got
>>
I lived in a Mexican neighborhood in Denver where a lot of people built these. I always liked low rider cars and this seemed like an even more esoteric subculture. Not my culture but I can appreciate people spending a lot of time and craftsmanship to create something that’s impractical but aesthetically wild. I know they’re consuming parts, paint or whatever but it’s a very anticonsumerist thing.
>>
>>1503639
They aren't that cool anymore, 99% of builds today is just sending a bunch of chinese parts off to be plated/painted then assembling.

It was cooler back in the 90s when they were heavily modified from existing schwinn stingray (and similar) bikes.
>>
>>1503639
faggot tier
>>
>>1506171
what's wrong with that?
>>
>>1503639
Yes please I'd like the 99 spoke wheelset.
>>
>>1506809
Only if it’s CXray
>>
>>1503639
Form over function is always shit.
>>
I wouldn’t want one, but they’re pretty cool, more as art than practical transport.
>>
>>1503724
Oh man, that looks comfy as fuck
>>
>>1510016
preach
>>
>>1510016
comfy and fast
>>
>>1503639
They are good for getting white women
>>
I just noticed the steering wheel. Lol.
Really makes it obvious he REALLY wishes he could afford a car.
>>
>>1511422
Yeah the steering wheels and spare wheels are wack. Build a cool bike, but don't pretend it's a car or motorcycle.
>>
>>1503639
good
>>
>>1511439
it's not though
>>
>>1511439
It arose from latino culture of metalworking and auto repair where teenagers used extra parts and raw materials from the shops to build bikes. Thats why they use chrome dips. And building a perfect one is essentially an advertisement that you can weld and do finer custom work.

A rare bike culture that arose from DIY car culture.
>>
>>1517812
That's pretty cool actually. I still think the steering wheel is silly.
>>
>>1503639
Its the niggers of the bike world.

Expensive and useless.
>>
>>1503639
Used to have the mello yellow lowrider that my dad gave me before some joggers stole it out of my backyard. Pic related
>>
>>1503639
I thought they'd ride a little higher.
>>
>>1522864
That front suspension looks cool.
>>
>>1503639
I have always thought lowriders, choppers, anything that makes you sit ass-low-hands-high is really really fucking gay and retarded. Even just cruiser style handlebars on their own are extremely queer looking.
>>
>>1527951
Projecting this hard
>>
>>1527951
You haven't thought much then
>>
>>1503690
>bike culture
I cringe anytime someone describes people who do an activity as a "culture" or a "community". I've never heard a fisherman talk about fishing culture, or a carpenter talk about carpentry culture, etc. Bikefags who act like cycling is a secret subculture are usually gatekeeping hipster faggots, the type who carry a big pointless keychain attached to their skinny jeans like a jangly prop. Nice mustache, homo.
>>
>>1528262
You've never heard of corporate culture?
Culture is just the aggragation of customs, social norms and unwritten rules that develop in any social group. Culture exist around us whether you want to or not.
>>
>>1528269
a polak, an eskimo, and a zulu all meet on a bike trail while riding. None of them share a common language, religion, place of origin, or general worldview. Are they all the same culture because they're riding bikes? My point is that using "culture" to describe what would more accurately be described as hobbies diminishes the importance of actual culture in the world. It's using a big important word to describe a small aspect of life. Cycling is not a culture, any more than fishing or carpentry, two activities that are practiced more ore less universally throughout the world across all cultures, like cycling is to some extent
>>
>>1528278
>It's using a big important word to describe a small aspect of life.
I disagree with you value judgement in the word. It's not a "big important word". It's just a word, that describes a concept that can be applied on different scales in your life.

>a polak, an eskimo, and a zulu all meet on a bike trail while riding. None of them share a common language, religion, place of origin, or general worldview. Are they all the same culture because they're riding bikes?
If they keep meeting on the trail they will develope patterns of interaction, based on their circumstance of ridging bikes together, and bam you have a small culture, if only within the group of three persons.
Other groups are likely to develope similar patters due to similar circumstances, and then it becomes meaningful to speak of a more general cycling culture. Obvisouly this does not preclude differences and variations. Take the cycling culture in the Netherlands vs. the cycling culture in the States as an obvious example. The bicycle culture in these two places are very different from each other, but each place has a general attitude and way of doing things in regards to riding bikes, that it's meaningful to speak of the cyling culture in either place.
And your example people with nothing in common is obviously contrived in this information age where we are communcating with each other globally more than ever.

>any more than fishing or carpentry,
These things have their own cultures I'm certain, based both in local traditions but in large based the same basic constraints of being the same activity.
>>
>>1528262
>I've never heard a fisherman talk about fishing culture, or a carpenter talk about carpentry culture, etc.
You've never talked to one, have you? Like the other poster said, different hobbies/professions do spawn subcultures, both on a local level and on a larger scale. Stop getting triggered by words just because they bring up these weirdly specific images in your mind
>>
>>1528283
I suppose my point, in calling it a "big important word" is that yes, you could argue that carpentry or fishing have their own associated cultures, but that most fisherman and carpenters are not pretentious enough to call it that. They just like hanging with their carpenter/fishing/cycling bros and doing the stuff they like. I know that's essentially what a subculture is, but calling it that outside of some kind of anthropological or academic context just sounds self-important.
>>
File: fuckyou.jpg (42 KB, 618x463)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
hating on any kind of bike is autism, the only bike riders that are absolute faggots are those hipster penny fathing cunts, fuck those faggots.
>>
>>1530006
I think the more appropriate term here is subculture. Beyond that I can say anecdotally, as someone who lives in a port city and also worked as a franer and a sawyer, that fishermen and carpenters definitely do have individual subculture and that they do refer to it as being a seperate thing. They just used different language and specific words to describe it.
>>
File: 1594749492298.jpg (62 KB, 720x884)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1528262
>>1528269
>>1528278
>>1528283
>>1528483
>>1530006
>>1533564
Ya'll niggas talking like yall are teaching an anthropology class
>>
>>1533630
Actually discussing/arguing something without shitflinging is fun.
>>
>>1533652
I agree totally I'm just teasing you. Actually it was refreshing to read
>>
>>1503724
>I don't consider them functional bicyles.

You don't know what functional means.
>>
>>1533630
you're talking like you're a black person
>>
>>1533630
as an amateur anthropologist, I can deduce from your pattern of speech that you are a white, suburban american who has been known to enjoy a rap song from time to time. You do employ the word "y'all", which is common to african american vernacular (AAV) by way of it's roots in general southern US code. However, the rest of your post demonstrates some level of basic english proficiency: the spelling, capitalization, and punctuation are mostly correct, no numbers were substituted for syllables or entire words (i.e. "wut u w8t fo"), nor were there any totemic or numerological references (i.e. "keep it 100" or "fuck 12"). All of this is circumstantial, of course, but taken in conjunction with my years of experience embedded within various african american tribes and a great deal of time spent among those white people who inhabit the left half of the intelligence bell curve, I can reasonably deduce that you are a person of european descent who has a great fondness and appreciation for african americans, perhaps to the point of homo-erotic fixation with highly-melanated male genitals.
>>
>>1503641
From what I understand, having that many spokes means that you don't need to put very much tension on each individual spoke. They're very easy to put together.
>>
>>1503724
It's funny because that's pretty much the nerd version of choppers, same ergonomics and all.
>>
>>1528262
>>1528269
>>1528278
>>1528283
>>1528483
>>1530006
>>1533564
Subculture or microculture are the appropriate terms.
"Community" is a faggot weasel word shitheads use instead of subculture. It implies a level of mutual responsibility and a conditional membership. You can be ejected from a physical community, or excommunicated from a religious community. You cannot be ejected from a subculture. Drama and attention whores use "community" to pretend they have popular support when making claims because of the implications of a united group of people rather than simply those who share jargon and argue about shit those outside don't have as deep interest in
>>
>>1541405
I get an impression that you are something of a drama queen yourself.
>>
>>1541403
Oh
>>
>>1541403
The chopper goes 20 km/h, the nerd version as you call it easily 45 km/h, the chopper is over 20kg heavy and the nerd version 16kg and so on
>>
>>1541403
>spoke reflectors
gross
>>
>>1503639
Useless trash bikes for useless trash people. At least they don't anoy other people with the noise from their new motorbike.
>>
>>1547838
Calm down, bro. You literally full of seethe.
>>
>>1547838
>t. Spandexclown
>>
>>1503639
Whenever I bike too deep into the hood I see these things propped up all over the place. I'm so torn about them, they're definitely the coolest compared to other retarded bike designs like cruisters/pennyfarthings/whatever else but my form autism would still never let me ride one
>>
>>1553775
>my form autism would still never let me ride one
Funny, my bicycle autism would be more likely to compel me to ride one if given the oportunity. It's a bicycle, I want to try triding one.
>>
>>1537839
Ashy ass nigga
>>
>>1503639
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGLNPJ9VCE
Not bad
>>
>>1503724
I really want a recumbent but I don't really know any good brands, why are they not more popular lads?
>>
>>1503639
poor fags who cannot afford a lowrider car or motorcycle
>>
>>1556215
Or have licensing issues
>>
>>1556036
Banned in races by UCI since the 20s-30s because they're too fast. lol Bike races are adverts. pretty much no reason for them to be built at a price point when few people will buy them because lemon D won't be on it. Exact reason terry bikes for women are smelly reject tier vs FEMALE GEOMERTYRYEYTYTU l
>>
File: 1598678956454.jpg (25 KB, 800x450)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>1541400
>>
File: 285713522.jpg (59 KB, 500x375)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>1522864
krates are cool
>>
>>1503639
I mostly ride/build vintage MTB and some road, but I just picked up a new whip last month from the thrift store for only $20

I still need to evaporust it to make the chrome really shine. Maybe pick up some tassles too
>>
>>1503639
i love custom bikes, i wanna learn to weld so i can build my own
>>
>>1503639
What is wrong with this board? This shit useless thread is literally months old and yet somehow still up, why the fuck are people bumping it? It just makes the board even more dead and slow than it already is. I swear it's like a fucking mental institution on here sometimes.
>>
>>1541400
*clap clap clap*
>>
not low enough
>>
File: 1602980066607.jpg (54 KB, 521x937)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>1528262
>>
>>1528269
corporate culture refers to very specific and defined approved or behavior, conduct, politics

do people riding bikes have anything like that? no
>>
>>1564564
huh?
>>
>>1564861
>behavior, conduct, politics
>specific and defined
No
>>
>>1564861
At one place I used to work at everyone had their own mug in the break room, and dog help you if you used someone else's mug.
At the company I work at now the common pool of muigs is free for all, and I have to keep my own (slightly larger) mug in my office to get to have it for myself.
No one specified, defined and approved these things. It's just how things are done at different places. These are small examples corporate culture.
>>
>>1564564
>it's like a fucking mental institution
Welcome to the most autistic board on 4chan. Why are you here?
>>
>>1565086
Is “most autistic” meant as a bad thing?
>>
>>1567914
Good lord please stop bumping dead threads. SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE
>>
>>1567920
But this thread is very much alive
>>
>>1541400
Cringe the post
>>
>>1567914
I'll leave that up to you to decide for yourself.
>>
>>1503639
Why are there so many spokes
>>
>>1570058
Aesthetic value
>>
>>1541402
nah, you've just never built a wheel before fag.
the amount of tension has nothing to do with how difficult the wheel is to build.
4chan is such shit why do i even come here.
>>
thanks for the laugh op
>>1503639
>>
File: 20200809_133851.jpg (3.69 MB, 4032x3024)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB JPG
I built one in the spring. I want to repaint the frame. And work on the seat.
>>
File: 20200814_130634.jpg (3.86 MB, 4032x3024)
3.86 MB
3.86 MB JPG
And finished. The seat came from an old 1970's exercise bike i saw on the side of the road.
>>
>>1574164
fucking pimp
would love to cruise on this smoking a blunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrWnH7cV_-c
>>
>>1572186
>the amount of tension has nothing to do with how difficult the wheel is to build.
Yes it does. More tension results in more wind up and an increase chance of stripping the nipple.
>>
>>1574164
What frame is that?
>>
>>1574164
Kickstand needs to be chrome and frame needs to be bright purple.
And the handles need to be... something else. Cork or twine maybe?

Sorry. I'm being a dick criticizing your new bike right off the bat, aren't I? I'm impressed with your work if nothing else.
>>
>>1574164
color needs to be louder. you went through making a sweet lowrider and picked a color indistinguishable from brown primer.
seat is a boss. old tractors have seats like that, too.
>>
>>1564564
Based.
>>
Redpill me on carpentry culture
>>
>>1565086
But we're not on /m/
>>
>>1574191
regardless of tension a whell gotta be round....more spokes means more NIPPLES TO ADJUST
>>
>>1564806
That's crazy... I tried building that config in college and couldn't get the geometry to work out, it was unridable. Does this thing actually go?
>>
>>1564806
Fear scrotum being that close to wheel
>>
>>1564564
You seem unnaturally upset. Go back to /b/ if you want threads to die in five seconds. Bump
>>
>>1564564
Bump
>>
File: 20190601_160304.jpg (2.13 MB, 2064x1548)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
Build out of an old Automatic Two Shifter Folding Bike. Was fun to ride. Sold it and build a Different ebike lol
>>
>>1593133
Looks nice
>>
I had my dad buy one for me when I was in my 11 year old wigger phase but I never rode because it was uncomfortable to ride and way too flashy and conspicuous on the streets of suburban England.
>>
>>1594450
Any pics?
>>
>>1590308
Just wear pants dumby
>>
>>1510032
damn ese yours looks so comfy and well-designed, the color is cool too. Kinda jealous ngl. Congrats loco.
>>
>>1503639
they are ghey

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.