[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Any accessories etc. I can install on my bike to stop people from drafting me?
>>
>>1494953
Retina burning cygolite on the most abusive flashing mode
>>
>well worn cycling shorts (lycra is transparent so they have to look at your butt crack)
>shoot snot rockets back at them
>speed up
>>
Take it as a compliment
>>
>>1494953
If you're not fast enough to drop them, go slow enough for them to pass you.
>>
>>1494954
Wait, is that bad? I do this all the time.
>>
>>1494966
Flashing is very annoying and disorienting for drivers.
Might be good as an attention getter in daylight if your light is strong enough. Don't do it in the dark. Ride with a constant light at night.
>>
>>1494968
If you get disoriented by a little blinking red light maybe you should cut up your license
>>
>>1494970

Alot of people should cut up their license, doesn't change the fact that it's your ass on the bike and a constant light registers more as "vehicle" during the night than a strobe.
>>
>>1494971
>a constant light registers more as "vehicle" during the night than a strobe
What does that even mean? What does a strobe register as, and why does that scream "now is a good time to pass me with 6 inches to spare"?
>>
>>1494978

Because, depending on where you live, red strobes aren't a common visual stimulus on the road. Most drivers are used to fixed lights and also most drivers aren't consciously paying attention so there's a better chance of a distracted driver's brain to register a fixed light than a strobe light.

You'd be amazed with the amount of information your brain throws away if it deems it unimportant.
>>
>>1494971
>constant light registers more as "vehicle" during the night than a strobe.
So much this.
>>
>>1494980
>depending on where you live,
Where I live literally everything is a common visual stimulus, if you're not getting noticed you're getting run over.

>most drivers aren't consciously paying attention so there's a better chance of a distracted driver's brain to register a fixed light than a strobe light.
I agree with what you said if it was the exact opposite of this.
>>
>>1494978
>What does a strobe register as
It registers as a "wtf was that? Oh, must have not been important"
>and why does that scream "now is a good time to pass me with 6 inches to spare"?
Precisely because at strobe makes you more difficult to track. Humans are already notoriously ] bad at tracking things that are moving in the z-axis in their frame of reference. Don't make it even harder.

Also, to a certain type of driver, any time is a good time to pass you with 6 inches to spare.
>>
>>1494992
> Don't make it even harder.

Oh, so I should make it easier? Come on pass me bro, you can do it! Don't worry about killing me just like, go for it, punch that gas!

You've never even ridden a bike before, have you.
>>
>>1494994
The eternal state of the /n/ bikefag: assuming that the environment in which he rides is relevant to everyone
>>
>>1494999
No U
>>
An oil dispenser
>>
>>1494954
There are some people with that here and it's annoying even when I'm riding pretty far back.
>>1494994
Well, yeah, you should make it easier for drivers to figure out where you are, and strobing lights are worse for that than steady state.
>>
>>1495004
I'm either in front of you, underneath your wheels, or behind you.

If you can see me I'm in front of you.

If you can't see me, it doesn't matter anymore, at least not to me.
>>
>>1494994
>Oh, so I should make it easier?
Yes. You should make it easier for driver to track you. Not harder.
That's why you have lights in the first place, isn't it? So that you will be seen.
>>
>>1494984
>>1494992

Ever seen the "Gorilla Video"? You would assume you'd notice a guy dressed as a gorilla walking through a basketball court.

Context is important for your brain's attention span.
>>
>>1495010
I'd notice him if he was wearing one of these fuckers pointed at me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djUHht74r-s&vl=en
>>
>>1495024
I noticed when they set it to night flash it looked like it stayed constant. But since it was called flash I assume it shines at a constant base level with interspersed with brighter flashes.
>>
What if someone made a twilight the illuminated red but in pic related shape, so people see the light and also think “oh it’s a bike”
>>
>>1495059
>made a twilight the illuminated red
I don't understand what you are trying to say, I've heard there is a rear light that project that image on the ground behind you. Honestly sounds more like a gimmick than actually useful, to me. If a driver is close enough to meaningfully discern and process the projection, they should be able to identify you as a cyclist regardless.
>>
>>1495063
*taillight
>>
>>1494953
Ride in the rain without a rear fender.
>>
>>1494966
Your fellow cyclists are most certainly hating you. Don't you dare strobe on a bike path, that's ridiculously unnecessary. I'm also of the opinion that strobes are only good for dusk, though lights which remain constantly on but with flashes of brighter light are ok in my book, whereas a light that drops completely out is death.

>>1494953
banana peel, or do the triathlete move and diarrhoea your pants
>>
A proper burst of corona-cough™ should be enough.
>>
>>1495063
From what I'm reading here, if there's a light blinking anywhere in a 360 degree field of view it causes most people's brains to melt instantly and they no longer know if they're driving or in a dream or fighting off face huggers from "aliens"
>>
>>1495296
Take your meds.
>>
>>1494953
Just empty your nose or ride hard as fuck so they get dropped.
>>
>>1494953
Ride faster.
>>
I think I understand where you're coming from OP. I wouldn't want someone on my wheel, if I didn't know how they ride.

This is what I do, on the road, mup, etc.
If they haven't asked to get on your wheel, wave them on. Wait like one second then do it again, turn your head and say "you can pass me".
If they don't respond, or don't pass, give them a light brake check. Just enough to make them snap out of it. You could substitute "pull over" for "brake check", but drafting without asking is asshole behavior, so that's how I treat it.
>>
>>1495441
>drafting without asking is asshole behavior
Maybe this does make me an asshole, but the way I see it is if you pass me but can't drop me you're a free draft.
>>
>>1495450
Maybe you're one of those guys who think the world is racing them and accelerate every time someone "passes them" (ie having a 1km/h quicker pace)
>>
>>1495454
Of course I accelerate. Drafting means I go faster for the same effort.
>>
>>1494968
The whole point of flashing lights is to get the driver's attention. You don't want to be just another solid white light in a sea of lights when you're about to do a left on a bust street.
>>
>>1495471
I know what the point is. I'm saying in practice it doesn't work like that.
>>
Eat some beans or something so you fart constantly
>>
>>1495473
It has worked for me over the past 8 years or so with no incident.
>>
>>1495473
>>1495495
With that said, if you're able to provide some sort of scientific evidence that I'm wrong (not just bro-science), I'm willing to change my mind.
>>
>>1495495
Doesn't mean much. You could be a ninja salmon without incident for 8 years. That doesn't mean riding against traffic in dark clothing without lights is the best way to avoid incident.

>>1495497
Fair enough. I don't really have anything much besides my own experience of riding and of driving at night, and some common sense and basic understanding of human perseption. I suppose that counts for bro-science.
This video >>1495024 that another anon posted though, claims they did the science when designing the light. In day flash mode the light has a flashing pattern, but in night flash mode they also add a constant light in addition to the flash pattern. They apparently arrived at the same conclusion I did, that you should have a constant light at night, to make you easier to track. Not scientific evidence in it self, but assuming they're not just bullshitting, and actually did base the light on scientific studies like they claim, i take that as an indication toward scientific corroboration of my point.
>>
>>1494953
>Any accessories etc. I can install on my bike to stop people from drafting me?

Why yes, as a matter of fact there is.
>>
File: 1584944023288.jpg (57 KB, 720x1013)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
A BIG OLE can of BEANS
AND SOME FAT BRAAPS
>>
>>1495465
Are you in a hurry?
>>
>>1495441

>be me, omw home from work
>on riverside mup, headwinds 15-20mph
>be larger guy with relaxed fit, catching/blocking wind
>not trying to struggle against this shit, holding 12-13mph
>hear hub full of bees behind me
>move right to make room for pass
>doesn't pass
>make sure i'm over far enough, i am
>look back, twink roadie is on my wheel
>weave a little, he stays on me
>tell him to pass or fuck off, no response
>brakecheck.jpg
>soundofcarbonbraketracks.wav
>he still won't pass
>take frame pump from underneath top tube, tell him its going in his spokes if he doesn't fuck off
>faggot finally goes to pass, i bully him into scraping a shoe on a jersey barrier on his way by

no free rides.
>>
>>1495774

Do you urinate on stuff to mark territory
>>
>>1495778
do you?
>>
>>1495512
The question was "does a flash work or not"
The question was not "what would happen if I added a steady". Science shows that the flash works and is safer. Period, end of discussion. Stop making up nonsense to push your unracer agenda.
>>
>>1495802
science? let's see that article.
>>
File: hfhfhf.jpg (299 KB, 1200x742)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
>>1495795
you don't?
>>
>>1495771
Yes.
>>
>>1495802
Flash works. Steady is better.
>>
>>1495869
And by that I mean flash works better than no light.
>>
>>1495869
>>1495872
wrong
>>
>>1494953
just eat lots of beans and cheese
>>
>>1494953
Yes, stronger legs. People can't draft you if you drop them.
>>
>>1494953
I just slow down and they go wtf and pass. Also, I'm a manlet and really hard to draft if I'm in the drops.
>>
>>1494953
Just pull to one side or another and stop pedaling. If they don't get the clue then ask them to not draft off you. Simple as that.
Also polite riders will take a pull themselves and trade off.
>>
File: 1541408998284.jpg (35 KB, 563x750)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1495517
>t. leglet
>>
>>1494953
Be slower.
>>
OP is hikikomori
>>
saddle-balls
>>
>>1494953
a constant stream of pepper spray emitting from the back of your saddle

the sunglasses won't save them, eventually they'll be so covered that they're either blind or they have to take them off
>>
Are you people actually trying to argue that a strobe light isn't distracting and doesn't affect people's vision?

Take your motherfucking light off your bike, set it on your desk pointing at you and turn the fucking strobe on, see how long you last
>>
>>1505539
wheelsucking is annoying and you suck
>>
>>1495471
You can get attention without being a genuine eyesore. Use a pulsing light. Put the yellow reflectors back onto your pedals.
>>
>>1507461
you're an eyesore
>>
>>1494953
Two-stroke motor kit
>>
>>1494978
>What does a strobe register as,
A part of advertisement sign, a button for pedestrian crossing, a blinker on car waiting to turn.
I mean, it would become clear it's bicycle, just not instantly and in distance.

Anyway, the biggest issue - especially with blinkers that do brief flash is telling how far it is and where it's moving.

At 100mph that can quickly turn into an issue.
>>
>>1507568
If you’re going 100mph in a 25mph zone there’s nothing whatsoever I can do to avoid getting killed
>>
>>1494978
>What does a strobe register as
A target.
>>
>>1494953
just rip ass constantly
eat the gassiest foods you can handle before every ride
>>
>>1494966
blinking lights fuck with depth
no driver is going to home in on a solid light, drivers are trained to avoid solid lights
if this were not the case then running lights on motorcycles would blink
>>
>>1495802
>Science shows
>no citation
this is a troll post
>>
>>1507643

Modern motorcycle headlights oscillate rapidly from high to low to high.
>>
>>1507643
That must be why people keep driving into ambulances
>>
>>1507704
>ambulances only ever have lone blinking lights on
>ambulances are not large boxes with reflective striping, day-glo paint, covered in dozens of lights, plus sirens
wow great rebuttal I am totally blown the f*ck out
>>
>>1507706
>going 100mph in a 25 zone
>somehow, is going to echolocate the siren and steer around it like a bat
>>
>>1507710
>going 100mph in a 25 zone
?
>>
>>1494978
I hope you get run over

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.