[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 85 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: gaytors.jpg (120 KB, 1000x666)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
I'm due for a new set of 700c tyres for my road bike. What's does /n/ recommend? I've been running continental gp's but i'd rather have durability over olympic race performance
>>
>>1489077
>you don't NEED that, this is NOT a race!
700c is a meme, just get a full suspension mountain bike because you saw a crack in the pavement once

Make sure to ask your mom to follow you around in a van because knowing how to fix a flat is for EXTREMIST PRO LANCE ARMSTRONGS and they don't fix flats in amsterdam
>>
>>1489084
i have a dirt jumping hardtail. I'm just after any recs for tyres for my roadbike, which i sometimes take offroad too. No need to be a huge faggot about it
>>
Conti 4 seasons over gators, by far
>>
>>1489077
Schwalbe Durano is my goto brand for road bikes, they are very durable, no punctures and they do ok in all weather.
>>
>>1489086
i regulary take my gp4000s offroad at 100ish pisi. they are 28s tho. only popped the back going down a set of stairs without bracing my legs. also using conti race 25 tubes
>>
>>1489086
taking the bait
>>
>>1489087
This. The best balance between grip, rolling resistance and puncture protection.
>>
>>1489077
I love how good, quality products always become a meme. Gators are fantastic.
>>
>>1489133
if you love shit ridefeel and no grip in even mildly damp conditions, sure.
>>
>>1489135
k
>>
>>1489077
I have used gators for a year now and rarely get flats and ive ridden about 4k miles on them. I lock brakes a lot and it doesn't do anything to them.
>>
>>1489279
>I lock brakes a lot and it doesn't do anything to them.
Exactly, they just slide over the pavement, zero grip
>>
>>1489087
4 seasons are excellent
>>
I will also advocate for 4 Seasons over Gatorskins. I've never had a true slip out (lowside, etc.) on them.
>>
>>1489077
4 seaons are great, however, if you store your bike outside continental tyres have a sad tendency to crack in the sidewall. I have had it happen to 3 sets of tyres now, both 4 seasons and GP4000 s2.
>>
>>1489297
Also after a while the side wall threads can come loose in areas. Not a huge problem as its just a small amount of stitching, but not great and can get tied up on brakes.

I run 4 seasons still and impressed with them to buy them again
>>
Gatorskins
Panaracer Pasela/Pasela PT
Michelin Power Endurance
etc etc

People complaining about no grip are retarded and running too high pressure because their 250lb fat ass will give them pinch flats if the tires aren't harder than their diabetic low bloodflow dicks get.
>>
>>1489086
That’s important to know, and you should have lead with it. There’s a huge gap between racing tires and, well everything else.

Gatorskins are a meme, but very good at what they do. Which is durability, at the cost eg everything else. I wouldn’t take them off-road because of garbage traction.

All of anons suggestions are very good. personally, I favor the Vitoria randomeur series. If you want more off road confidence, lots of gravel tires and the like are out now.
>>
>>1489315
Personally I run my tyres high pressure because less rolling resistance, not because i'm fat.
>>
tires for when my commute is paved road to dirt two-track? was looking at Conti TerraSpeeds
>>
If I just want to go on gravels and my only problem is not having a flat, should I just go all in and put 110 psi into my 25mm?
>>
>>1489280
That’s usually what happens when you lock brakes. It’s good that you’re here learning how bikes and stuff work :)
>>
>>1489077
never buy gatorskins
never buy hardshell
read BICYCLErollingRESISTANCE.Com
>>
>>1489381
Nice try retard, but with proper tires you actually stop, with gatorshits you just slide away
>>
>>1489391
I ride hard in all weather and have never had an issue with grip.
>>
>>1489402
Good on ya
>>
>>1489086
I have used Kendas on my old steel frame roadbikes and they are fine.
>>
>>1489402
Must be because you're slow.
>>
>>1489077
Gatorskins are slippery and roll like shit. Unless you want to deliberately drive over nailbeds don't touch gators.
>>
>>1489421
Why are you so butt blasted about Gatorskins? Did they rape you or something? Why spend so much time in a thread about a product you don’t like?
Faggot
>>
>>1489438
he's right though
if you honest like your gatorskins you have never then a decent tire or are too dumb/slow to sense the massive difference
>>
>>1489438
You're the only one throwing a fit
>>
>>1489077
not very good desu
>>
>>1489438
>Why spend so much time in a thread about a product you don’t like?
I have made exactly two posts ITT, counting this one.
Frankly, I have never ridden gatorskins and I have no strong feelings about them, but all I've been hearing about them for years now is that they lack grip. If you're not noticing that, the reasonable explanation is that you're slow and don't push the limit of the tyres' grip. You're the one who seems butt perturbed about it.
>>
>>1489438
buyer's remorse much? lol
>>
Specialized Roubaix Pro? Non-meme and non-shitpost opinions preferred. Looking for an upgrade to my shit Vittoria tires.
>>
>>1489087
>>1489120
>>1489282
I spent a few hours looking at tire reviews, rolling resistance, puncture resistance, etc. I eventually settled on Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tires as well.

Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tires actually have higher initial puncture resistance than tires like Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Marathon Plus tires rely on having massive tread thickness, hoping that if something penetrates it won't penetrate all the way to the tube. The Conti 4 Season philosophy is to prevent punctures from starting - however, if something does penetrate, it's going all the way through because the tread is very thin.
>>
>>1489322
High pressure is not less rr, not common knowledge but now you can have a better faster ride:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asEYkpW0vwQ

of course casing is important but bullshit like >>1489390
doesn't take into account road surface.

video tldw
>get pump with accurate (for repeatability) gauge
>go to a regular riding spot
>inflate to normal PSI
>use stopwatch, do a lap, average it
>repeat at 5PSI less each time
>use whatever pressure gave you the fastest times

It'll probably be in the 80-100 range for tires that state a 120 psi level.

IMO you should repeat the next couple days starting from the new PSI each time to account for tiring out and find your sweet spot.
>>
DURANO
U
R
A
N
O

DD
>>
File: 1588821596657.png (71 KB, 419x383)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
are michelin endurance any good? are they taiwanese?
>>
>>1489575
michelin power endurance are thailand. Some other michelin tires are french still, check reviews and ask your lbs.
Michelin tubes are french and IMO way better than q-tubes but they only have short threading on the valves.
>>
File: 1354587785846.jpg (36 KB, 380x368)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
GP 4 SEASONS ARE HALF OFF ON BIKE TIRES DIRECT RIGHT FUCKING NOW
>>
>>1489542
>high frequency vibrations feel fast because our brains are not very good perceiving speed
Neuropsychology is interesting.
>>
>>1489661
half off MSRP is not half off street price
>>
>>1489799
>Buying used consumables
But why?
>>
>>1489814
Because people try out and prefer different tires long before the life is worn out of them.
>>
>>1489814
are you finnish? I assume finnish because finns are autistic and overestimate their english skills. in english "street price" is slang for the price in practice, the real world price (as opposed to the price recommended by the manufacturer")

it has nothing to do with second hand goods, also sorry I don't speak finn. borkbork bork borkbork?
>>
>>1489825
lmao aleksy is mad af here kek
>>
File: 1414639853323.jpg (39 KB, 724x720)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>he's so weak he can't give up a few watts of rr for flat proof tires
>>
>>1490045
>he's so incompetent the prospect of occasionally changing a flat is terrifying
>>
opinions on schwalbe one? Just got a set for my road bike
>>
>>1490056
>Just got a set for my road bike
Then sounds like you're the one who should give an opinion.
>>
>>1490056
well they're round and made of rubber and that's cool. there's 14 different models and that's confusing. schwalbe makes good tires so when you put them on your bike you will be able to ride forwards. if you have a fixie you can ride backwards too. 10/10
>>
The one and only time I have lowsided was while running gators. Never got a flat either though.

That being said, I got 2 flats while running Vittoria Voyager Hypers in the 4,800km I got out of them. I've had zero flats in 1,000km with the Schwalbe G-Ones I replaced them with. I've had zero flats in 2,500km with the WTB Horizons on my second bike. The only tyre I ever had trouble with was the bargain basement ultra sports that came on my budget garbon roadie and I'll freely admit that 90% of the flats were my own fault, usually pinches from riding the bike like it had 35s not 23s fitted...

There was one guy I worked with who complained endlessly about flats and it wasn't until I went for a ride with him that I figured it out. He rides his bike like a bulldozer:
>broken glass in the road
Straight through
>massive pothole
Straight through
>miscellaneous building work debris
Straight through
>raised curb
Didn't even ease off, let alone attempt to hop up
I'm sure that 99% of flats are caused by user error, poor bicycle control, lack of observation or any combination of the three.
>inb4 that one guy who always complains about goathead thorns.
>>
Anyone used the Michelin POWER tires? I'm inclined to buy them because they look on par with the Conti GP5000s but they say POWER right on the side like Im a super cool guy
>>
>>1489661
Wtf??? Is $50 half off? I paid $35 each on Amazon like a month ago
>>
Aight this seems like the tire thread.
What's the best 26x1.75-2.0 inch tire for loaded touring? Mostly asphalt but would appreciate ability to fuck around in places I shouldnt be (i.e. small to medium gravel)
Obvious choice seems to be marathon greenguard but im having a hard time finding them for a reasonable price.
>>
>>1489077
>>1489086
this
>>
>>1490134
No alternative to the Marathon greenguard. It's a weird tire. It's heavy with lots of puncture protection yet a very low rolling resistance for a touring tire.
>>
>>1490134
don't cuck yourself with a 'high puncture protection' tyre
>>
What are some consensus /n/ tires? So far I've seen these rec'd:
>Conti GP 4-season
>Vittoria randonneur
>Panaracer pasela
≥marathon??
>Gatorskin??
>armadillo??
>Michelen power endurance
>>
>>1490228
>>Conti GP 4-season
based
>>Vittoria randonneur
PRO version based, regular is shit. same rule for their Rubino line
>>Panaracer pasela
simply good but there are multiple versions..I believe TG tour guard is the better one but it could be the opposite of that
>≥marathon??
supreme and almotion are incredibly fast and make great tires for 35mm-40mm. only fancier option would be Rene Herse but that will have no puncture protection
>>Gatorskin??
heavy hard bad
>>armadillo??
heavy hard slightly less bad but still bad
>>Michelen power endurance
unfamiliar with this
>>
>>1490228
also just check out bicyclerollingresistance.com - once you have a reference tire that is listed on the site you will come to understand what is better and worse. rolling resistance, puncture protection, weight, and tread are the four factors that matter, and pretty much all of them can be evaluated without /n/'s opinions clouding your judgement
>>
>>1490237
ride feel and grip are hugely important
>>
>>1490120
POWAHHHHH
Do what you want. Michelin makes good stuff. Colored sidewall tires wouldn't exist if looks weren't part of it, and if it makes you want to ride the bike more and have more fun then it's worth it aint it?
The exception is if you have pretty decent tires already that are nowhere near worn out because then you're just chasing a consoomer high.

>>1490134
Panaracer Pasela/Pasela ProTite
Schwalbe Big Apple
Michelin Protek Urban/Protek/Protek Cross/Protek Cross Max depending on how much offroad you want to do
There was some maxxis tire I remember reading was alright too.

>>1490235
>simply good but there are multiple versions..I believe TG tour guard is the better one but it could be the opposite of that
Tserve is the better one made for bike messengers. Tour/TourGuard is a price point below Pasela.

>>1490237
see >>1489542
If you care about pure RR move to tubular rims because they have latex sidewalls. Else use latex inner tubes with the thinnest casing/thinnest sidewall/smoothest tires you can and lower-than-recommended pressure to avoid flats from debris.
For everyone else that's marginal autism gains at greater flat risk.
>>
>>1490228
>>1490235
Pro randonneur and Rubino pro III have both been discontinued along with the superlative Voyager Hyper. Their replacement are vastly inferior.
>>
>>1490318
that's a real shame. I loved my Rubino pros

>>1490247
good point
>>
>>1489421
Dude, my commute is 21 km with tons of climbing and it takes me 35 min with loaded panniers. I hit 80km/h every single day and that's not even trying... lots of sharp turns at 60+ and heavy braking. Not a single issue, ever. Top speed so far is 96 km/h. Maybe you just don't know how to ride or manage your brakes?
>>
File: faggot.png (1.25 MB, 961x656)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
>>1490483
>>
File: 1361950879971.png (264 KB, 1638x1912)
264 KB
264 KB PNG
>>1490483
wow take a chill pill seethey mcbtfo
>>
>>1490228
For one thing, understanding that there's different tires for different uses.

Training Day/General use

Commuter tires

Various levels of gravel/ light offroad tires, which actually depend on your gravel.

Dedicated dirt eating knobbies

Racing tires. Things like the Gran Bois count here.

There was an anon who asked for a really tough, durable tire, puts on gatorskins, and then was surprised that they're hard and heavy.

So when someone like Anon
>>1489459
shows up, it's almost useless to guess at what he wants.
>>
I used to get flats EVERY WEEK from shit people litter on the road.

Switched to schwalbe marathon plus, Not a single puncture in 5 fucking years. Dont even carry tools or tubes anymore. A little heavy but i dont notice it anymore. So nice to have peace of mind. I think the tread will wear out before i ever get a nother flat.
>>
>>1489077
A thread died so you could ask if a super-popular and well-reviewed-all-over-the-internet tire is good.
>>
>>1489086

Depends on what kind of "off roading" you are doing. I run Vittoria Corsa Controls and I rate them. I have run them for over a year doing 150-200km a week and there is plenty of tread left. I am only now just squaring off the rear tyre.

>>1489279
> I lock brakes a lot

FUCKING WHY YOU TROG?
>>
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/
>>
>>1491002
fuck off. this is a useless meme site which draws no real-world-viable conclusions about rolling resistance, because, you know, they don't fucking test anything in its actual use case.
>>
>>1491002
uses the same idiotic testing methodology that have us 20mm tires pumped up to 150psi that are slow as fuck in the real world and miserable to ride on. garbage
>>
What are ups and downs of foldable tires vs wire tires?

Gatorskins foldable are 80g lighter than the wire version.
>>
>>1491024
>>1491037
understand it as a way to compare similar tires and not an absolute measure of whats the lowest resitance possible.

Lower resistance obviously introduces drawbacks such as lower grip and lower comfort
>>
>>1491038
...they're lighter.
They're also usually easier to mount/dismount
>>
>>1489119
he has a point, gatorskins are a lame outdated meme for those who are paranoid about punctures, gp 5000 and similar high performance tires are much nicer and the risk of getting punctures is overblown, just install rim tape and tubes correctly and don't ride in the gutter
>>
>>1491038
everyone should be using foldable tires these days, i don't know about gatorskin specifically sometimes there are significant differences other than the bead like the rubber compound to position the wire bead version as a budget tire for poorfags and for OEMs who make bikes for poorfags
>>
>>1489585
i like my michelin airstop tubes the kenda tubes i had felt like cheap toys by comparison
>>
>>1490120
i was researching them before deciding on gp 5000. they're not bad and i think they're less popular than they deserve to be but gp 5000 are freaking sweet and have better aero because of the tread pattern.
>>
>>1491060
gp 5000 have insane grip and i haven't had any comfort issues even on 25mm, i don't ride on busted amerishart roads though littered with potholes and volcanic glass and goatheads and whatnot
>>
>>
and look into kapton tape if you need rim tape, it's very light and inexpensive, it can be used both for tubeless and with tubes but you're advised to use two layers on a road bike rim, bike-specific rim tape is expensive in most shops these days like $4+ a pair so you might as well get a roll of kapton tape, there are other types of tape like strapping tape you can use as well

https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/tubeless-tape-thread-926021.html
>>
>>1491060
>Lower resistance obviously introduces drawbacks such as lower grip and lower comfort
wrong
those things are generally not a tradeoff with tyres.
for any specific size, the best rolling resistance is often accompanied by the best grip and the best comfort and the lightest weight

puncture protection, overall longevity and price are the diametrically opposed qualities to those things.

Racers absolutely do not compromise grip for speed as they're the ones who it's vital for, and comfort is generally a facet of suppleness or simply svelte minimal material tyres with thin sidewalls which is what goes fast.
>>
>>1491060
like if you take gp5k for example.
Their grip & ride feel is significantly better than any tougher tyre of the same size.
>>
>>
>>1489077

Schwalbe Marathon Plus.
>>
>>1491089
>best rolling resistance is often accompanied by the best grip and the best comfort and the lightest weight
Please go on and explain the physics behind your claim.

A softer tire has more grip and more rolling resistance amd vice versa. See street car races for example. They ride on winter tires in the summer because they are softer and add traction while having higher rolling resistance. Summer tires safe gas because they are harder and have less rolling resistance but also lower traction.

>>1491091
subjective opinion by someone who distrusts comparisons under scientific circumstsnces
>>
>>1491108
see >>1491097
>>
>>1491110
That stinks of marketing bullshit by the manufacturer.
Show me a measured evidence of this chart by a third party.

The particles and holes that slow a bicycle down on the road are somewhere 0.1 - 3mm in diameter. Them claiming the gains in the 10^-9mm range have an effect on real tarmac is rather dubious.

I just ordered some GP 4 Seasons because they were shilled above. They don't even contain black chili.
>>
>>1491118
in person if you have a basic rubber tire and a gp 5000 it's immediately obvious which tire has more grip the basic tire skids much more easily
and there have been measurements by different parties that show that gp 5000 have a pretty low rolling resistance
and it's common sense that a nice supple tire will tend to be more comfortable, in the same vain that the optimal tire pressure is said to be when it's low enough that you don't feel road vibrations
>>
rolling resistance is way too high. it's like riding a constant uphill. honestly, even the thnnest race tires you will not have punctures if you have high pressure and ride only when it's dry. wet conditions = punctures that's when the stuff sticks to tires and water makes them penetrate easier too
>>
>>1490378
>commute is 21 km in 35 min with loaded panniers
yea

>I hit 80km/h every single day and that's not even trying
ok

>lots of sharp turns at 60+
yea

>Top speed 96 km/h
ok
>>
>>1489279
weird flex but ok
>>
>>1490378
>21km
>tons of climbing
>takes me 35min
pick two
>>
tyres for when im not a RacEr and i jUsT RiDe
>>
>>1491130
>water makes them penetrate easier too
that's what she said
>>
File: Kappa.png (877 KB, 1069x1451)
877 KB
877 KB PNG
>>1491147
>>
>>1491108
>>1491118
Not the Conti shill you replied to.
There's a balance between speed and durability, usually supple tires are better. Supple does not mean it feels like a memory foam mattress, it means that it can be squished easily and spring back quickly.
RR is heavily impacted by hysteresis of the tire & tube. The less springy the material the more energy is converted into heat. Latex inner tubes can dramatically impact this because of it being much more springy than butyl (but of course has its own problems.
Again, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asEYkpW0vwQ

Gatorskins with latex tubes vs GP5000 with shitty kenda butyl tubes might be interesting to try out, too bad I'm too poor and lazy to.
>>
>>1491098
Those are the plus tour ones however
>>
File: 1588713978346.jpg (6 KB, 264x174)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>1490550
>>
>>1490550
>>1491449
bump just 4 u
>>
>>1491130
>even the thnnest race tires you will not have punctures
THis is such bulk market shit.
Especially for race tires. Most of ride on messy street roads and flats are a real fact of life.
>>
>>1491867
not him but there's plenty of testimony from people who only had like 0-3 flats after thousands of kilometers
just install them properly and don't plow straight through glass shards and potholes etc
>>
>>1492017
>don't plow straight through glass shards and potholes etc
>Yes friend just dodge into traffic by avoiding the 6ft wide patch of broken-pavement asphalt gravel pit

Sometimes I avoid pedestrians by going on the grass or hucking off the curb, sometimes I like to ride down rooty hills instead of going all the fucking way around or walking the bike down stairs.
>>
>>1492021
where i live it's not even legal to ride on the sidewalk and the speed limit is low enough that you can just ride on the street even older ladies ride in the middle of the lane on some streets
>>
>>1489279
>>1489280

I used to ride fixed a bunch and gators held up really well.

I've had stickier slicks that felt nicer and gripped better, but I got sick of replacing them every month because of wear from skids.

hurr durr you don't have to skid on fixed learn to control. I lived around mountains and skidding is fun.
>>
>>1492024
Sidewalk riding is only done when absolutely necessary, like when picking up speed to join traffic or taking shortcuts. But the option is still there, and if you can't handle your bike over rough terrain you should practice more. Not saying you need to do trials-level stunts but being able to see paths where none are clearly marked AND navigate them skillfully and safely is really useful.
Plus people often think it's cool and you brighten someone's day by doing a cool thing on a bike instead of being an asshole blowing a red light. There's a reason BMXers have such a good image while roadies are cunts.
>>
>>1492032
this anon speaks the truth
>>
>>1492032
just get a real bike and stop wasting your time with that crap
>BMXers have such a good image
literal hobos and douchey kids
>>
>>1492042
ok karen
https://twitter.com/JoshManMode/status/1263637559873277955
>>
>>1492044
https://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/rant-idiots-bmx-bikes-668368.html
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/cringe/comments/din1o1/bmxers_think_they_are_the_coolest_while_almost/
>>
>>1492051
>>1492049
>>1492044
take your normalfag ass links and fuck off
>>
>>1492054
What is wrong with mtbr?
>>
>>1492049
>https://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/rant-idiots-bmx-bikes-668368.html
>"fvck"
And then everybody clapped
>>
File: IMG_20200526_174711~01.jpg (282 KB, 1280x960)
282 KB
282 KB JPG
this better be good frens
>>
>>1492893
nice, what were you upgrading from?
>>
File: IMG_20200526_202033~01.jpg (136 KB, 1280x960)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>1492896
Decathlon tires. They grew fine cracks after 2000k or so.

Took the new ones out for a quick 25k spin. Honestly, I didn't feel any difference. 53kmh max.
I'm too much of a dull dude to feel these differences
>>
>>1492955
oh that's still a huge performance jump, going from generic tires to performance all weather tires. It's not the top speed where you see a different but handling and traction. The energy savings from reduced rolling resistance is there too but it's a more subtle difference.
>>
>>1492955
you'll feel it in the rain in the twisties. they're not magic but they're enough to not feel like you're on a death trap
>>
Not OP but I am a gatorskin using faggot who only does road riding.

I just had to change my rear tube today after 1,115 miles when it was installed on November 12, 2019. My last rear tube change before that was after almost an identical number of miles, 1,150, almost a year ago to this date, June 3 2019. And this flat I just had to replace wasn't even on a newly installed tire, it was on an old gatorskin that had always been on my front wheel and didn't have a ton of wear on it even though it was ridden probably a few thousand miles on its own.
>>
>>1493717
at a certain point they just die, the vectran gets worn out due to age or something, and they'll just start flatting constantly. but it's at least after 1000 miles
>>
>>1493724
im hoping my flat was just a pinch flat and these tires last a lot longer. im pretty sure i got it going over a speed bump
>>
>>1490510
considering get a set of these glad to hear theyre good
>>
I use ultramemes on my peugeot and shred on every cunt in a mtb being a freaking mobile chicane for cagers, I get flats around every 2 months (or weeks depending on my luck)
>>
>>1494053
another anon recommended marathon supreme, they have slightly less puncture protection but weigh much less and have a racier compound
>>
>>1491038
>What are ups and downs of foldable tires vs wire tires?
Lighter where it matters, and you can actually carry a foldable tire while touring.

One time, going to DC I got a huge gash in my rear tire, both the tube and tire were rekt. Apparently someone broke the tip off their knife, and just left it laying around? I found it for them, but hopefully that's a once in a lifetime thing...

>>1491069
>usually easier to mount
I mostly use Panaracer tires, and I've never had one with a loose fit. They look perfect once you get them on (consistent mold line at the lip of the rim), but it's a pita to actually get the thing on there.

>>1494208
>they have slightly less puncture protection
I used to keep Marathon Supremes on my around-the-city road bike. It was pretty wild, you pick up pieces of glass in the outer rubber layer, but it doesn't penetrate further. After time, through flexing of the rubber, the little pieces of glass get ground into tiny spheres, kind of like clear sand. When you have the tire off, you can flex the cut and they just fall out.

The only thing that gave me a flat were some canvas tacks (little sharp as shit nails). The park we were passing through had hosted an arts festival the day before.
>>
>>1495143
>One time, going to DC
Uh, forgot to mention that I had a spare foldable tire in my gear, and I was really grateful for it.
>>
>>1494168
>ultramemes
are you talking about ultra sports? my first ever replacement road tire was ultra sports and holy fuck and I legit had a flat every 2 or 3 weeks. I think my second day of riding on ultra sports I had a flat, those things are thinner than condoms
>>
>>1489421
>slow man projects his slowness and blames it on gatorskins
>>
>>1495289
see >>1489449
>>
>>1495162
My experience with ultra sports is that the flat frequence reduced significantly when i switched tubes from ching shen to conti.
>>
File: 20200601_083628.jpg (703 KB, 1200x1731)
703 KB
703 KB JPG
If you're from Europe you can check out Wolfpack tires, its a new company from the German autist who developed the continental, specialized and schwalbe tire compounds. Proteam Astana switched to him after riding on them for Paris Roubaix
>>
>>1495726
Interesting, Wolfgang Arenz is like the Jim Keller of the bike tire world
>>
>>1495726
They have a NA presence, too. Been wondering how they are, especially the cottons, but I'm a ways away from replacing any of my skinny road tires.
>>
>>1495291
yeah inner tubes seem kinda expensive in burgerland but you should still go for nicer tubes like conti or michelin
>>
>>1495726
>B**ck
Is this to shoo away conti's lawyers or do Germans have an actual taboo about spelling out "black"?
>>
>>1495954
conti lawyers
>>
>>1490550
hi
>>
>>1489077
yes
>>
>>1489087
This.
>>
>>1489077
I’m a fat piece of shit road biker and I’ve used two sets of them and never gotten a flat after riding 1500 miles on city streets that are full of glass and loose screws, and I mean really full.

That being said, they are actually slippery and anytime I ride in the rain I fear for my life when I have to turn a sharp corner on a wet path or curb because I have eaten shit 3 times in the past year and one of them involved an ambulance.
>>
>>1500978
I’m the same except I rarely ride in the rain so I haven’t crashed like that yet. For me, I live in a foreign country now so avoiding flats and getting stranded somewhere is super important and I never really worry about that with these on. So they could be just a meme since I don’t use any other tire but I’m slow as fuck anyway so why not.
>>
>>1500978
>anytime I ride in the rain I fear for my life when I have to turn a sharp corner on a wet path or curb because I have eaten shit 3 times in the past year and one of them involved an ambulance
jesus fucking christ get gp 5000
>>
GP 4 seasons I run on my commute using cheapass inner tubes. No punctures after 8000km. I can't praise them enough. Outstanding in the rain too. Love them.
>>
>>1491098
i just got some Schwalbes to replace my gatoreskins and im happy
>>
>>1489077
i mean honestly GP5000s are amazing. i was so impressed with that rubber that i swapped out my old Minions for a new set of Conti Trail Kings. got the front wheel re-taped and set up this morning, doing the rear tomorrow. i will say that these are an absolute bear to get the bead over the wheel rim compared to Minions but i'm pretty hype.
>>
What are good 26 inch knobbed and slick tires with good kevlar etc protection? For slicks the Vittoria revolution tech looks nice
>>
>>1490550
>>
>>1491134
>slowfat in disbelief
Stop being slow and fat?
>>
>>1492032
>BMXers have such a good image
What? Where I live adult BMX riders are considered an absolute joke. If someone is describing an adult who rides a BMX they are describing a completely derelict bogan who is also childish and giving off a pedo vibe. They're normally found hanging around bus/train stations and of course skate parks.
They are synonymous with adult skateboarders.
>>
>>1507446
i changed my mind to go with fixed gear instead of singlespeed. somehow it seems "cool" to me now. outsiders won't understand. i'd imagine that BMXers have a similar irrational smugness as fixie fools.
>>
>>1507492
I don't know if smugness is how I'd describe it. More like the irrational disregard for what normies think of them, same as people who shoot up and pass out on the sidewalk.
>>
>>1507494
The term you are looking for is hipster
>>
This is the official /n/ tyre thread?
I'm in the market for some tyres for my road/endurance/gravel bike. Been using GP4k's but they are on their last legs and had some bursting sidewall issues., but need to tone it down a bit now, because of muney. So my question is, are Ultra Sport III's good enough (the bike came with US II back in the day and they served for approx. the same time as the GP's)? Or maybe something like Vittoria Zaffiro Pro or Schwalbe Lugano? Or maybe I should just shell out for Durano's and call it a day (and only look into tyres for my touring bike next season? can still do that)?
Any help will be appreciated!
>>
>>1507542
gravelking slicks.
>>
>>1507542
Duranos are my go-to cheap tire. Anything worse is rubber hose tier. I guess it depends on your definition of "good enough".
>>
>>1507558
They don't make regular Duranos anymore, I think Schwalbe One took their spot in the lineup.
>>
>>1507546
I'll look into this, even tho Panaracers are not very popular here.

>>1507558
>cheap
Pretty pricey.
>your definition of "good enough"
So I'm not getting a flat out of nowhere and also need ca. two seasons of riding outta them. Been the case with conti's, but my old GP4k's look like they were chewed on or something (and cost too much), so that's why I'm looking for alternative.

>>1507559
This might be why all I'm seeing are Durano Pluses and DD's.

Cheers lads!
>>
anyone have thoughts on the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance? good reviews, but i don't know any actual people who have them
>>
>>1507625
I've tried them, good stuff. Didn't last too long though.
>>
>>1507655
that's not great for a tire literally called "endurance" lol
>>
>>1507600
>>1507559
Confirmed, Regular durano's got dropped, only the durano+ and Durano DD are in their current lineup, which sucks.
The Schwalbe one has been moved down to their "performance line" line-up and is the best replacement for the older durano
>>
>>1507713
>>1507655
>>1507625
Endurance are still Pro4s. None of the racing tier slicks have especially high wear resistance. Conti 4/5ks are probably the best racing tier slick in terms of flat resistance and mileage, with very good rolling resistance, but not as good road feel. I think it has to do with their rubber compound.
>>
>>1507728
12 eurocents have been deposited into your account, Hans
>>
>>1507728
>not as good road feel
don't confuse suppleness with a "dead" feel
>The Power Comp’s biggest area for improvement is the casing, which felt a touch on the stiff side for a race tire. They are by no means uncomfortable, but when compared to other race tires, they feel a little rigid and not as supple over bumps.
>>
>>1507790
Contis aren't supple, and they actually ride hard for the listed size because they run wide, and if you run wider tires at the same pressure, they ride harder. (24mm at 100psi will ride harder than 23mm at 100psi)
>>
>>1507793
gp 5000 are true to size
>if you run wider tires at the same pressure, they ride harder
the pressure is trivial to adjust
>>
>>1507538
>everything is hipster
no
>>
>>1507546
suck. slow as fuck and get sliced up like soft cheese
>>
>>1507796
t. hipster
>Members of the subculture typically do not self-identify as hipsters,[2]
>>
>>1507793
old news. gp5k are suppler than gp4k and demonstrably more comfy and they don't run wide anymore because sizing adjustment for wider rim trend
>>
>>1507795
>pro4 23mm is comfy at 100psi
>conti 24mm is comfy at 90psi
This is generally interpreted as conti being less comfortable since people comparing brands will either ride the same size at the same pressure than think one feels wrong, or they'll note that the "same" size conti needed lower pressure to be as comfortable.
>>
>>1507835
michelin is good too but come on bro you're doing mental gymnastics
see >>1507833
gp 5000 are also more aero, they test well in a wind tunnel and you can see the tread pattern looks odd if it were just for grip and some guy in an article said that it looks like some tire manufacturers take aero into account in their design even though they don't market them as aero
>>
imo these are very good depending on how much performance vs puncture resistance you want

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/continental-grand-prix-5000-2018
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/pirelli-p-zero-velo-2017
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/pirelli-p-zero-velo-4s-2017
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/continental-grand-prix-4-season-2015
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/continental-gator-hardshell
>>
>>1507838
>say conti's perceived bad ride quality relative to other brands the same label size is because tires ran wider than the label not because the tires are bad
>hans seethes and claims contis are super supple and exactly the right side and anyone who says otherwise is a shill
What the fuck
>>
>>1507854
i don't know what you're on about
here the 25mm measured 26mm which is normal on a 17c rim
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/continental-grand-prix-5000-2018
>>
i'm a messenger so i've gone through a lot of tires.

gators are really inconsistent, ive had several fail after not even a month. the beads just tearing out, random chunks coming out, all kinds of dumb shit. also the grip in rain is a problem. 4 seasons are way better and more reliable. theyre in almost any shop so they're hard to go wrong with.

however i will say specialized is where its at. i've ridden the turbos plenty and those fuckers hang in till the bitter end. similar with the roubaix, but ive mostly had the turbos.
>>
>>1507859
>conti has a reputation because the tires used to run wide
>hans seethes
hans u retarded how did hitler not genocide your granparents
>>
>>1508223
>>1507793
>Contis aren't supple, and they actually ride hard for the listed size because they run wide
not true, gp 5000 are top tier, some /n/iggers shit on conti for no good reason, maybe you installed the tubes wrong or have exceptionally shitty amerifat roads littered with thumbtacks and whatnot
>>
I use Continental Ultra Sports. Will 4Seasons be a downgrade in terms of grip?
>>
>>1508428
no, 4 seasons grip is better than gp5k, it's exceptional
>>
>>1508434
how do you know? gp5k has the black chili compound which is truly exceptional. maybe in the wet 4 seasons is better idk
>>
>>1492955
also, going from a beaded tyre to a folding tyre is a massive weight saving.
>>
>>1508437
i test grip on tires with this long ~15%+ climb i do it in the wet and see when the rear tire slips when out of the saddle like how much you can unweight the rear tire and maintain traction I think it's relatively scientific and i do the climb fairly often so for each set of tires i have i have a fair idea of how much grip they have and i reckon 4 seasons are a bit better than gp5k
>>
OP here, I ended up getting a pair of folding gators (they were on sale). Been for a few rides after replacing wore out gp5000s. Honestly, they feel great but they just feel like new gp5ks. I don't really pay too much attention so long as they roll smooth.

Thanks for info in here, joggers
>>
>>1508457
don't be casually racist, it isn't funny
>>
>>1508434
grip isn't too noticeable. I've found most conti's feel almost identical so long as they're new. They just feel like they wear differently. I've only ever slid out with my front wheel once, and that's because I was going down a steep dirt hill on a road bike
>>
>>1508458
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>1508457
>Thanks for info in here, joggers
>>1508461
why do you think that's clever or welcome here? It's not.
>>
>>1489084
Durianrider is that u
>>
Hey guys, do you think this tyre is safe to ride?

https://imgur.com/a/FcLqXfa

jk, that one is done
>>
>>1508458
don't be such a faggot, it's embarrassing
>>
I'm thinking of upgrading from the stock 40mm Kendas on my grabel meme. I was think along the lines of Schwalge G-ONEs, or Conti 4 Seasons. Or go full roadie with GP5000?
What do you think? Would you recommend something else entirely? Or should I just stick with the Kendas?
I'm not a particularly strong rider, if that matters.
>>
>>1508642
Stock kendas are bad tires. All top tier racing tires are similar in quality compared to shit so just buy whatever is on clearance.
>>
>>1508657
>so just buy whatever is on clearance.
Guess I'm going to have to keep an eye out
>>
>>1508642
is putting skinny tires on a grubblelmeme a hot new meme that comes from #supplesidedown nerds realizing that they never ride on dirt
>>
>>1508692
LBS are pushing gravel bikes then saying road bikes don't sell. I went to multiple LBS to find a road bike but the offerings were abysmal and they kept trying to tell me I should get a gravel bike because it can do both, even though there's no gravel within 50 miles of here.
>>
>>1508716
IMO buying a gravel bike over a road bike is justified just for the fact that you can put wider tires to load it and go touring. Riding with cargo on skinny tires is miserable.
>>
>>1489077
Excel Sports, Conti GP5000's, $39 each.
>>
>>1508462
In Mexico they call black people tires
>>
>>1508720
if you're really into touring you could get a separate touring bike though
>>
>>1508932
certain grabel bikes are superior for light-ish touring to touring bikes
they fit the niche of what used to be a 'sport touring' bike
>>
>>1507719
Just ordered the Ones. They better be good.
>>
>>1508716
My gravel bike from 2016 is just an endurance road bike on a 28mm tyres and with (mech) dick brakes.

>>1508720
>Riding with cargo on skinny tires is miserable.
How skinny are we talking about? I have 32mm (ballooned up to 24-ish) on my panniered tourer and was thinking about going down to 30mm, so the tyres won't stick out from under the mudguards lel. Don't think I ever exceeded 10 kilos of groceries up on it tho.
>>
>>1509289
32mm is what I'd pretty much consider the minimum for comfortable loaded riding. That's what I have on my commuter (won't fit any wider) and I carry cargo on a daily basis, but every big crack on the road is a potential pinch flat.
>>
>>1509315
>my commuter
so a hybrid without a carbon fork? i don't see why you wouldn't be able to carry a light load on 28mm gp 5000 tires on a higher end bike. they make ultra flexy grabbel seatposts too to spare your precious snowflake ass
>>
>>1509390
>carry a light load on 28mm gp 5000 tires on a higher end bike
literally me

he said it
pinch flatting
and also damaging your rims
>a light load
well then sure. a dozen beers and a sack of rice? it's sketchy.

really depends on how smooth your roads are though.
i would full blown loaded tour on those tires if guaranteed mega smooth bike paths for sure
>>
File: 1tajvp.jpg (4 KB, 150x150)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>1490510
>>1494053
>>1495143

poor fag here

I need a set of tyres with some form of puncture protection

Anyone have any experience with schwalbe land cruisers?

I can buy a pair of them for the price of 1 marathon plus, is there that much of a difference?
>>
>>1508657
>Stock kendas are bad tires
In what way?
>>
>>1509390
>so a hybrid without a carbon fork?
Steel frameset
You certainly would be able to carry some load on skinner tires, you'll just increase the risk of pinch flatting as I mentioned.
>ultra flexy grabbel seatposts
oh you're just trolling nvm
>>
>>1509513
Just go tubeless my Nigga, or if you are extremely broke get those Kenda meme tubes that come with semen inside
>>
>>1509751
They’re just not good. Usually low TPI sometimes not even skinwall. Kenda makes some decent tires but it’s rare they’ll be OEM. Kenda spec is to cut cost because kenda makes some extremely low end tires. Once you get to slightly better tires, either an entry level Vitoria or Schwalbe or something will come stock or something midrange.
>>
>>1509782
>you'll just increase the risk of pinch flatting
raise your tire pressure
people started riding way too low pressures after GCN shilled wider tires
i've seen the flexy seatposts on youtube they look gay as hell but probably improve your idea of comfort
>>
>>1509782
and again a modern frameset with a carbon fork, carbon seatpost, carbon handlebar and whatnot should ride better than your steel frameset
>>
File: Merino.jpg (1.42 MB, 3008x2000)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
>>1509865
fuck off cunt
you're basing that off nothing
>>
>>1509887
have you ridden a carbon bike lmao? sure it's a conspiracy that the reputable brands mostly favor carbon bikes and aluminium+carbon bikes rather than steel lmao. especially if you have some hiten steel bullcrap you shouldn't be giving advice on what tire size is acceptable on nicer bikes.
>>
>>1509893
yes i have, many
i have owned one too
now, by your logic, have you ever owned a nice steel bike?

reputable brands favour those materials because they are lighter, stiffer, and faster for the money
but a nice steel frameset has a very, very nice ride quality
other materials can also, but they are not superior on that count.
>>
>>1509893
>reputable brands mostly favor carbon bikes and aluminium+carbon bikes rather than steel
that's also untrue for high end commuters and touring bikes
>>
>>1509898
that's for durability rather than the ride quality
>>
>>1509900
have you ever ridden a high end steel bike?
>>
>>1509900
'lmao'?
>>
>>1509902
if you can't run 28mm tires comfortably without having the tire pressure so low you put yourself at risk of pinch flatting you don't have a high end bike

>>1509904
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gHlPyn1RKU
>>
>>1509860
What I want to know is how will I notice the difference if I upgrade to something more expensive. Say, the 40mm Schwalbe G-Ones
>>
>>1509905
i wasn't even the anon saying that but my steel bike is a canti 853 Gunnar. The frameset costs $1400 new and my last road bike was a full carbon tomasso with DA. The former has a comfier ride say just planing over a country road and the latter is stiffer and more responsive when you throw it around say climbing out of the saddle and although it did absorb vibrations well, not as well.

So anon, do YOU know what the fuck you're talking about? Or just guessing based on memes and industry bullshit?

And 28mm tires definitely do pinch flat sometimes, even at highish pressures, when ridden on -actual- rough surfaces or loaded I know that also from it happening to me multiple times. I don't drop em below 80psi and normally higher than that and i'm not some fat cunt either.
>>
>>1509916
>80 psi
>highish
l m a o
gp 5000 in 28mm are rated for 95 psi MINIMUM and 116 psi maxiumum
just a few years ago before GCN's shilling took hold it was common for road cyclists to run 110-130 psi and they were complaining about sidewall blowouts
with a load you should raise the pressure accordingly
>>
>>1509917
you're grasping at straws now anon
>>
also i'll add my boomer neighbor has a pegoretti and a carbon look and a carbon merckx and he rides the peg 95% of the time because it's so comfy and i've ridden his bikes too and agree.
>>
>>1509918
>runs pressure below manufacturer's minimum
>complains about getting pinch flats
>i'm the one grasping for straws
lmao
>>
>>1509919
maybe if you weren't geriatric you would be able to ride a carbon race bike without crying about muh comfort
>>
>>1509920
i generally run 110 or 100 psi on 28s and still have gotten pinch flats
also:
>manufacturer's minimums
lmao fuck off they don't mean shit half the time
>>
>>1509922
git gud
>>
>>1509921
nobodies crying about muh comfort or claiming superiority about it except you who said carbon bikes are more comfortable than steel ones

carbon road bikes are great and can be very comfortable. I said it from the start.
>>
>>1509924
that guy >>1509315 was talking about loaded riding on the road. i don't see why you would need 32mm tires minimum with some good rubber like gp 5000 on a good bike. try living in a first world country where you don't have huge cracks in the road and try having some skills to dodge hazards or unweight when riding over them.
>>
>>1509925
>loaded riding
do you even fucking have racks on your bike
>>
>>1509931
if you're a 60kg manlet you can carry 30+ kg and still be as comfy as chad
>>
>>1509932
>[no]
>>
>>1509934
https://www.google.com/search?q=chris+hoy+weight
>>
>>1509935
weight loaded on a bicycle is different from rider weight.
also, what if you're not a manlet.
>>
>>1509925
Ah, so you're that retard from the 28mm tires thread who thinks everyone rides on perfect tarmac
>>
>>1509863
>dude just ride on skinny hard tires and a flexy seatpost
>>1509865
>dude just buy a full carbon bike
Or I can just keep riding on my 32mm at 60psi, you immense fucking mongoloid
>>
File: Capture.png (23 KB, 1153x162)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>1509952
>muh pinch flats

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.